Author Topic: The 'Built in their Image' Football Draft - Discussion Thread  (Read 20086 times)

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Re: The 'Built in their Image' Football Draft - Discussion Thread
« Reply #280 on: July 9, 2023, 11:12:11 pm »
Maradona made his international debut in the same season as his club debut. Is it fair game to have an international teammate as the pick, or is this limited to his club? The example given suggests club, the wording suggests any teammate from the debut season.

Some of the better pedants of past drafts are banned now so I’m looking for RAWK hive mind/think tank here on this one.

I think the implication is that it's for club professional debut, given the Robbie Savage example referred to Crewe. But you're right it's not explicit in the wording. In RAWK drafts past, loopholes like this were readily exploited  :-X
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #281 on: July 9, 2023, 11:19:15 pm »
Awww, how sweet.

I do agree though, it's Mikey's draft so he should have the final day without being pressured by anyone.

All the drafts are fair. Good research required on each. It's not meant to be easy or why bother? Let's crack on, ey?

If I see a team that is more than the sum of its parts and would have played at a higher level than their manager played at, I'm voting for it before a gang of supertstars that were easy to pick with lots of choices
« Last Edit: July 9, 2023, 11:27:36 pm by vivabobbygraham »
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #282 on: July 9, 2023, 11:23:22 pm »
All the drafts are fair. Good research required on each. It's not meant to be easy or why bother? Let's crack on, ey?

I'm not drafting but it's ultimately up to Mikey, the big boss man.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #283 on: July 9, 2023, 11:23:50 pm »
I do agree though, it's Mikey's draft so he should have the final day without being pressured by anyone.

Hopefully Mikey doesn't feel pressured. He did ask us for our opinions on it and I think Max made some valid points on what makes this NSAL tournament any more of less a cup than other ones we're familiar with. So far it seems myself, Robbie and Samie are fine with it. Whilst Mikey, Bobby, and Draex aren't. Maybe some others will give their views in the morning. Mikey being boss should obviously have the final say. It's tough running these things, so I don't envy having to make the call.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: July 10, 2023, 12:22:58 am »
Edgar Davids
Cat 6

Anyone know what Seedorf said?

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
    • X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd
« Reply #285 on: July 10, 2023, 06:28:54 am »
Maradona made his international debut in the same season as his club debut. Is it fair game to have an international teammate as the pick, or is this limited to his club? The example given suggests club, the wording suggests any teammate from the debut season.

Some of the better pedants of past drafts are banned now so I’m looking for RAWK hive mind/think tank here on this one.

That category is for club players only.
"Believe you are the best, then make sure that you are." - Shankly

X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd - https://x.com/TheLiverNerd

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: July 10, 2023, 06:43:51 am »
Don’t worry, I don’t feel pressured. The American system does complicate things given their league ends in a knockout competition. Its structure is very similar to a cup competition so I can see the argument. The reason for having a cup final category rather than any trophy was to limit the picks to a single game rather than a squad, so this does meet the criteria, it’s also a competitive competition rather than a friendly so again that meets the criteria, the only bit I’m unsure of is it being part of the league competition and therefore only containing teams from a single league rather than multiple leagues whether domestic or continental. I don’t blame Max for trying to pick from it, it’s a smart pick, and given I can’t find a strict definition or what a cup competition is that strictly excludes this and hole that draws a line under it.

I blame the Americans for not being able to put up with a competition that does end in a single big event!

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #287 on: July 10, 2023, 09:12:59 am »
I’ve finally managed to draft long-time favourite Fernando Redondo. Him and Toninho is quite the base in midfield.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #288 on: July 10, 2023, 09:18:35 am »
I’ve finally managed to draft long-time favourite Fernando Redondo. Him and Toninho is quite the base in midfield.

Same academy no less. And here’s me thinking the best I can choose is Ashley Young!

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #289 on: July 10, 2023, 09:22:38 am »
Same academy no less. And here’s me thinking the best I can choose is Ashley Young!
I was surprised by just how good Argentines Juniors academy was - I could probably make a better XI out of their youth products than I actually can within the confines of the draft rules.

I’m off to the airport soon, can I leave my next pick or two with someone please?
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: July 10, 2023, 09:29:00 am »

Ronaldo's debut season squad.. :D

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: July 10, 2023, 09:36:11 am »
I was surprised by just how good Argentines Juniors academy was - I could probably make a better XI out of their youth products than I actually can within the confines of the draft rules.

I’m off to the airport soon, can I leave my next pick or two with someone please?

Yeah that's fine, send them over to me.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: July 10, 2023, 10:14:52 am »
Made a booby with my last pick so am rectifying it

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #293 on: July 10, 2023, 10:16:47 am »
Made a booby with my last pick so am rectifying it

Areola?

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: July 10, 2023, 11:37:22 am »
From this next round of picks onwards there will be a two hour limit for picks before it moves onto the next person. That will run between 8am and 10pm UK time. Obviously people are welcome to pick at a faster rate and if they have missed their pick they can catch up at any time.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: July 10, 2023, 04:23:39 pm »
Is it my go?.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: July 10, 2023, 04:40:14 pm »
Ricardo Izecson dos Santos Leite, commonly known as Kaká
Cat 4

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: July 10, 2023, 04:44:14 pm »
Wrong thread Robbie lad.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: July 10, 2023, 04:48:14 pm »
fucks sake, all that effort as well  ;D

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: July 10, 2023, 04:49:39 pm »
Ricardo Izecson dos Santos Leite, commonly known as Kaká
Cat 4

Evra was such a scumbag, truly scummy effort to schumacher Kaka there. That's muay thai, not football

Not the first time he's hit his own CB trying to hurt a player that's shown him up

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: July 10, 2023, 04:50:21 pm »
Well recovered!

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: July 10, 2023, 04:53:01 pm »
Evra was such a scumbag, truly scummy effort to schumacher Kaka there. That's muay thai, not football

Not the first time he's hit his own CB trying to hurt a player that's shown him up
he made a pigs ear out that challenge didn't he

makes Kaka's effort look even sweeter

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: July 10, 2023, 04:54:35 pm »
Well recovered!
cheers mate, hopefully I have screwed one or two over at least with that pick, because I sure have some issues now in the next rounds

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: July 10, 2023, 05:05:12 pm »
cheers mate, hopefully I have screwed one or two over at least with that pick, because I sure have some issues now in the next rounds

Haha Mr Carlos shafted me from round one ;)

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #306 on: July 10, 2023, 05:12:44 pm »
Can I get some opinions please. I’ll be needing to pick Watford’s greatest academy star, Ashley Young (no laughing).

Should I play him as a wing back (could have a back 3 of Bergomi, Ferdinand and Pearce)? Or a flat back 4 with Ash wide left in a 442 or some variance thereof? Impacts my next few selections but he’s my only viable academy option so kind of stuck with him!

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #307 on: July 10, 2023, 05:15:31 pm »
Can I get some opinions please. I’ll be needing to pick Watford’s greatest academy star, Ashley Young (no laughing).

Should I play him as a wing back (could have a back 3 of Bergomi, Ferdinand and Pearce)? Or a flat back 4 with Ash wide left in a 442 or some variance thereof? Impacts my next few selections but he’s my only viable academy option so kind of stuck with him!

Either works.  He was a good winger, but not amazing.  And he's been a very good wingback, but a lot of that is his experience.  I'd lean towards wingback.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: July 10, 2023, 05:17:16 pm »
Either works.  He was a good winger, but not amazing.  And he's been a very good wingback, but a lot of that is his experience.  I'd lean towards wingback.

Aslong as there are no birds around.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #309 on: July 10, 2023, 05:21:07 pm »

Yeah, possibly. Would mean Phil Neal as right wing back which would be a bit alien to him it sure he could make it work. Think I can get the best out of one or two others using that formation too.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: July 10, 2023, 05:45:32 pm »

The thing about him is he is flexible so why make a decision on him now? He's played all over the shop and the good drafters will accept that even though he's shite he's versatile

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: July 10, 2023, 05:47:19 pm »
Nick goes through more name changes than a drag queen.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: July 10, 2023, 06:00:16 pm »

I’d be going down the keeper route if I were you, to be honest. David James gets a bad wrap but he had 53 caps for England and won a few trophies, plus goalkeepers aren’t concentrated on much in drafts anyway.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #313 on: July 10, 2023, 06:06:25 pm »
I’d be going down the keeper route if I were you, to be honest. David James gets a bad wrap but he had 53 caps for England and won a few trophies, plus goalkeepers aren’t concentrated on much in drafts anyway.

Nick also has to take someone from Watford's illustrious 1981-82 campaign for Barnes' debut season though. Fairly sure he'll be using his keeper there!

Definitely got the rough end of the stick with the academy he was dealt here.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #314 on: July 10, 2023, 06:31:07 pm »

Then I need to find someone else worth picking rpm the 1981 Watford team.

Spoiler alert - no one!

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #315 on: July 10, 2023, 06:32:47 pm »
The thing about him is he is flexible so why make a decision on him now? He's played all over the shop and the good drafters will accept that even though he's shite he's versatile

So I can sort my next few picks.

If I go three at the back (not a huge fan) I tend to think of it in the mid 90s Liverpool team with two in CM, a free role and two strikers.

Could I have two CMs, two AMs and a lone striker?

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: July 10, 2023, 06:50:54 pm »
So I can sort my next few picks.

If I go three at the back (not a huge fan) I tend to think of it in the mid 90s Liverpool team with two in CM, a free role and two strikers.

Could I have two CMs, two AMs and a lone striker?

Exactly. No need to pick the Ash yet. 'For sure,' as Steve McClaren would say in a thick Dutch accent, 'he ain't going anywhere.'

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #317 on: July 10, 2023, 06:58:21 pm »
Exactly. No need to pick the Ash yet. 'For sure,' as Steve McClaren would say in a thick Dutch accent, 'he ain't going anywhere.'

Oh I’m not picking him yet! But still need to figure out how and where I will fit him in when he dies get the nod! So not sure whether to get a second striker to play behind Rush, or an extra midfielder as De Bruyne in a two in the middle could be a bit exposing.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #318 on: July 10, 2023, 07:37:15 pm »
Are we doing 2 hour deadlines this round? If so then Max's time is up now

Oh I’m not picking him yet! But still need to figure out how and where I will fit him in when he dies get the nod! So not sure whether to get a second striker to play behind Rush, or an extra midfielder as De Bruyne in a two in the middle could be a bit exposing.

Depends on what players you have available to you really. If you can get a nice complimenting striker/ss to go with Rushy then that probably makes the most sense. But you should just do whatever you want with the formation. Doubt many will have a perfect side in this draft, so probably best to just have fun with it.

Offline Wullie160975

• Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #319 on: July 10, 2023, 07:42:03 pm »
I believe so, will I make my pick?