Author Topic: Cody Mathès Gakpo  (Read 327896 times)

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Cody Mathès Gakpo
« Reply #3360 on: March 3, 2024, 07:53:08 am »
I really wouldn't hammer him too much for anything that happened in the Forest game. He has played 300+ very, very intense minutes in the past 10 days before Forest game even kicked off. You could see it in everything he did, always that little bit too slow in both decision making and execution. You can't give your best when you're struggling to even cope with the pace of the game. I mean, in the very same game you could see it in McAlister - when he fucked up few relatively simple passes (for him) - simply because he was obviously tired.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3361 on: March 3, 2024, 08:06:08 am »
My main issue with Gakpo is he doesn’t appear to have a strikers instinct, he never seems to gamble that a cross will come in, or a keeper will parry etc. there were at least a couple including the Diaz cross across the face of the goal that I’d expect our no.9 to be on the end of, and he wasn’t even close, he wasn’t even in the box. Compare that to Nunez or Danns even, they are always in the keepers face being a menace with that desire to score over anything else. Compare to Gakpo who is always on his heels, great with the game ahead of him and some space to run into mind, but He likes to come deep and when Elliot is playing it’s the wrong thing as we need him to stretch defences and get into the box, it’s why we always seem crowded out.

He just looks easy to defend against, Nunez came on and straight away they went 10 yards back, Diaz now had space to work with and we started to open them up both sides. Yes I’m sure he was tired but he could still vary his game and play on the shoulder from time to time.
« Last Edit: March 3, 2024, 08:08:16 am by Draex »

Offline rolla

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3362 on: March 3, 2024, 08:54:01 am »
I don't really like the Bobby comparisons as dropping deep is the only thing they share really imo.

If anything he reminds me of Ox a lot more in style of play. Can turn and drive through midfield with the ball, can hit a ball, not particularly creative or strong at decision making.  He works hard but can struggle to get on the ball or consistently influence the game.

Like Ox he is still a really good, versatile player to have in the squad and he can be a handful when in form.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3363 on: March 3, 2024, 09:00:43 am »
My main issue with Gakpo is he doesn’t appear to have a strikers instinct, he never seems to gamble that a cross will come in, or a keeper will parry etc. there were at least a couple including the Diaz cross across the face of the goal that I’d expect our no.9 to be on the end of, and he wasn’t even close, he wasn’t even in the box. Compare that to Nunez or Danns even, they are always in the keepers face being a menace with that desire to score over anything else. Compare to Gakpo who is always on his heels, great with the game ahead of him and some space to run into mind, but He likes to come deep and when Elliot is playing it’s the wrong thing as we need him to stretch defences and get into the box, it’s why we always seem crowded out.

He just looks easy to defend against, Nunez came on and straight away they went 10 yards back, Diaz now had space to work with and we started to open them up both sides. Yes I’m sure he was tired but he could still vary his game and play on the shoulder from time to time.
I agree with this, especially the easy to defend against bit. Defenders hate playing against pace and directness but he has neither. I mentioned the other day that being a forward in this league without pace you need other outstanding attributes and he hasn’t really got one. He’s certainly not creative like Firmino, Bergkamp or Zola.

I think the criticism for taking that shot in the second half is possibly a little harsh, I expect most of forwards would have shot in the same situation. But it again shows how he often needs too much time to sort his feet out or get the ball into a shooting position. You simply don’t get that time in this league.

I was more annoyed with the header in the first half where he only had the keeper to beat but ends up heading it back into the centre of the box to no-one.

"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline SMASHerano

• Provides nothing extra. Average poster.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 6-1 London
« Reply #3364 on: March 3, 2024, 10:21:22 am »
Perfectly happy with him as a squad player. Performances like yesterday happen even to the very best of players. I won't forget the number of times he scored important goals for us so far due to one bad performance.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #3365 on: March 3, 2024, 11:10:46 am »
Our subs almost always seem good. They come in with fresh legs after we have worked the opponents tired for 75 min. Doing the hard ungreatful pressing and running for 75 min is a much tougher job, especially with a couple of though games in the legs.

I find the complaints about his finishing weird. Hes much better than Diaz, who has been missing tons of chances lately.
Gakpo is rather struggling with getting the chances, whereas Diaz is super involved
« Last Edit: March 3, 2024, 11:14:07 am by jepovic »

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3366 on: March 3, 2024, 11:12:21 am »
Our subs almost always seem good. They come in with fresh legs after we have worked the opponents tired for 75 min. Doing the hard ungrateful pressing and running for 75 min is a much tougher job, especially with a couple of though games in the legs.

I find the complaints about his finishing weird. Hes much better than Diaz, who has been missing tons of chances lately.
Gakpo is rather struggling with getting the chances, whereas Diaz is super involved

They both play crucial roles though, Diaz works his backside off in games especially recently. Gakpo has more than played his part and scored some vital goals into the bargain, so no complaints about either of them.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #3367 on: March 3, 2024, 11:15:43 am »
They both play crucial roles though, Diaz works his backside off in games especially recently. Gakpo has more than played his part and scored some vital goals into the bargain, so no complaints about either of them.
Yeah, and not long ago Diaz was struggling with getting involved. Its normal.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3368 on: March 3, 2024, 11:18:26 am »
Yeah, and not long ago Diaz was struggling with getting involved. Its normal.

Yes, exactly. Both have played a lot of games recently as well, so it's normal that they are running on empty. We need our players back that will help everyone.

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #3369 on: March 3, 2024, 12:07:26 pm »
Not sure why we don't try Diaz central and Gakpo left when Nunez isn't on the pitch.  Did it for a bit yesterday, then Gakpo went wide right when Nunez came on and it seemed to help him.  But it feeds in again to that question - just what is he?
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild
« Reply #3370 on: March 3, 2024, 12:11:24 pm »
Not sure why we don't try Diaz central and Gakpo left when Nunez isn't on the pitch.  Did it for a bit yesterday, then Gakpo went wide right when Nunez came on and it seemed to help him.  But it feeds in again to that question - just what is he?

To be fair he does prefer playing on the left his said it himself and hasn't really had a run there.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3371 on: March 3, 2024, 12:21:00 pm »
I don't really feel like he's stepped up in the absence of the other forwards and if anything the recent games have just reinforced just why he's a squad player. I like him as a squad player btw but he's very much our 5th best attacker. Hope with a bit of rest he can step it up in the next games.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3372 on: March 3, 2024, 12:36:59 pm »
Needs to add more muscle. If you're not the quickest off the mark then you have to be strong.

It's fine in the Europa League but you need to be physical in England.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3373 on: March 3, 2024, 12:37:41 pm »
Diaz is not strong enough to play against big centrehalves.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3374 on: March 3, 2024, 12:39:56 pm »
I don't really feel like he's stepped up in the absence of the other forwards and if anything the recent games have just reinforced just why he's a squad player. I like him as a squad player btw but he's very much our 5th best attacker. Hope with a bit of rest he can step it up in the next games.

He has scored in recent games. Like Joe he is a victim of being moved into different positions, so he doesn't get a run in the one that suits him best.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #3375 on: March 3, 2024, 12:41:35 pm »
Gakpo has scored a good few tap ins and goals at the back post?? He's potentially just fucked physically, he hadn't started many games then played 4 90s in a row in 10 days. Sometimes when you're fucked physically the hardest thing to do is make that 5 yard burst in to the 6 yard box.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #3376 on: March 3, 2024, 12:44:03 pm »
Pretty thankless at the moment. Didn’t play particularly well but we’ve been here before with others, he’s not stopping which is a good sign. Just making the wrong decisions but it’ll come, a few months ago he was the one getting lucky breaks for goals and Darwin was struggling

Online Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3377 on: March 3, 2024, 01:05:29 pm »
Perfectly happy with him as a squad player. Performances like yesterday happen even to the very best of players. I won't forget the number of times he scored important goals for us so far due to one bad performance.

I think that's all reasonable, but the point is that now he is probably the most "squad player-y" member of the forward line. I imagine if all options are fit he's the 5th choice of 5 for starting most big games. That's absolutely fine for us and the way that Klopp uses his squad, plus the injuries at the moment, mean that's not likely to be an issue for him either. As others have pointed out, he's still chipped in with important goals and moments, but it's worth acknowledging that he probably could and should bring more to the team if he hopes to be first choice.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline CS111

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3378 on: March 3, 2024, 01:17:23 pm »
I like him as a player, nothing more to add

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #3379 on: March 3, 2024, 04:12:36 pm »
Would be in two minds whether to start him on Thursday. He's not played well the past few and is probably fucked from all the minutes, but I'd only have him on the bench for City if Salah can play. He's a very good option from the bench but it'd be a risk to play too many young lads in a big European away.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #3380 on: March 4, 2024, 03:22:59 am »
Been poor lately, but he is still putting in the effort. It's a testament to his relationship with Klopp and his teammates. Gakpo may need a little luck to find his form again. Just needs to catch a break somewhen. He deserves it. He and Elliot have had to churn through minutes recently.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3381 on: March 4, 2024, 08:43:21 am »
Very poor today and has been for a while.
Hope he can find some form as we need him to.
he's played a shitload of minutes recently. he's probably exhausted, physically and mentally.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3382 on: March 4, 2024, 08:44:28 am »
Really should have passed to Darwin today and took on a disgusting shot instead that required elite precision, something he’s not shown consistently. Really poor moment at 0-0, Klopp should be having serious words with him after that. Fatigue or not, it’s training ground stuff that where he’s just seen the headlines.
bollocks.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3383 on: March 4, 2024, 08:47:12 am »
That pass to Nunez was never on in truth. He was justified in shooting in my opinion but his touch was slightly under him which caused him to cut across it.

The lad has played a lot of minutes recently and has contributed to our form whilst others have been injured. A bit of perspective eh.
I agree - the defender immediately cut off the chance for the return pass.

and Cody's shot looked like it was from a guy who's body and head are very tired.

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #3384 on: March 4, 2024, 08:51:27 am »
bollocks.

Yeah, he was right to have leathered one near post after a poor touch and two teammates stood wide open in the box. The execution and decision were both shite. Darwin rightly bollocked him straight after.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3385 on: March 4, 2024, 08:53:02 am »
He deserves and needs his well earned rest.

The lad and he is still a lad, has had a lot on his shoulders this past couple of weeks and we're still top of the table, had to buy some more silvo and are about to knock some manc twats out of the other Cup.

Fuck all to argue about.

you'd think, wouldn't you, eh?

apparently not the case though .... sigh ....  ::)

Offline Smudge 2.0

• Kemlynite
« Reply #3386 on: March 4, 2024, 08:59:03 am »
I like him. Very good technically. For those bemoaning his finishing ability. He has never been a number 9 who you would expect to be within the width of the goal posts. He has never played in a settled side and i'm sure with better players around him like Salah and Diaz he would be better. It's a patch up job for the front three at the moment and he has had the rough deal.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3387 on: March 4, 2024, 09:17:36 am »
I agree with this, especially the easy to defend against bit. Defenders hate playing against pace and directness but he has neither. I mentioned the other day that being a forward in this league without pace you need other outstanding attributes and he hasn’t really got one. He’s certainly not creative like Firmino, Bergkamp or Zola.

I think the criticism for taking that shot in the second half is possibly a little harsh, I expect most of forwards would have shot in the same situation. But it again shows how he often needs too much time to sort his feet out or get the ball into a shooting position. You simply don’t get that time in this league.

I was more annoyed with the header in the first half where he only had the keeper to beat but ends up heading it back into the centre of the box to no-one.
It just noticeable how when Danns, Nunez, Jota, and Salah play at 9 how much more the Cbs are stretched and give more space to the Midfielders. Being an outlet. He struggles at that and getting touches on the ball within the structure. I like him as a player, and he Probably better be on the wing more even if he doesn't have top end pace. I understand Klopp wanting him to have a consistent role too that super important. He still a very good squad player to have

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #3388 on: March 4, 2024, 10:37:57 am »

you'd think, wouldn't you, eh?

apparently not the case though .... sigh ....  ::)

Do you have an issue with people speaking objectively on a football forum about football players?

Go through most of my posts, they aren’t just ripping players for the sake of it. It’s constructive, it’s opinions, there’s good and bad thrown in, that’s the whole purpose of the forum, isn’t it? I really rate Gakpo, I understand all the reasons he at times has struggled, but that shouldn’t excuse decision making in key situations.

We won, thank god, but we can still discuss key points during games and what could have been done differently. I watched the full match live, that felt like the moment we’d look back on and go ‘what if’ if went on to drop points. Forest had worked their way back into the game, our subs had just come on and we’d lost a bit of control, we had few proper transition moments during the game that led to openings and that was one of the best we created where they hadn’t settled into a block.

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #3389 on: March 4, 2024, 11:11:52 am »
I would certainly say this is more objective than say, the Endo thread.

Possibly even the Nunez thread since no one has yet suggested replacing Cody with Ivan Toney.

He's a part to play, but I think it's fine to say he's easily #5 in the forwards, and that's possibly because, well, he's not a forward and/or unsuited for the role he's currently had to occupy.  The challenge is working out what to do to get the best out of him, because there's certainly a player in there.  Still chipping in with important goals and assists on occasion, so not exactly a blinking and flashing red light, but could probably do with a break.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3390 on: March 4, 2024, 12:33:49 pm »
He's fine as a squad player. He's far too nice on the pitch I feel. Same as his other young dutch mate. Too nice and laid back but the talent is there. They just need to get used to the pace of the game and aggression.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3391 on: March 4, 2024, 03:01:50 pm »
He's the best 5th choice forward in the league, has contributed really effectively for us this season and he's the obvious player to replace if we want to bring more pace and directness into the forward line and we probably should want to because without Nunez we're a bit one paced up there these days. If we can carry 6 senior forwards though then brilliant.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3392 on: March 5, 2024, 05:53:35 am »
Do you have an issue with people speaking objectively on a football forum about football players?

Go through most of my posts, they aren’t just ripping players for the sake of it. It’s constructive, it’s opinions, there’s good and bad thrown in, that’s the whole purpose of the forum, isn’t it? I really rate Gakpo, I understand all the reasons he at times has struggled, but that shouldn’t excuse decision making in key situations.

We won, thank god, but we can still discuss key points during games and what could have been done differently. I watched the full match live, that felt like the moment we’d look back on and go ‘what if’ if went on to drop points. Forest had worked their way back into the game, our subs had just come on and we’d lost a bit of control, we had few proper transition moments during the game that led to openings and that was one of the best we created where they hadn’t settled into a block.
you seem to be taking my mild post very personally, even though I didn't mention your name (or anyone else's).

did I touch a nerve?

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #3393 on: March 5, 2024, 06:48:11 am »
you seem to be taking my mild post very personally, even though I didn't mention your name (or anyone else's).

did I touch a nerve?

Nah, not really. You did say my post was absolute bollocks only a couple before that, though, so whether you addressed anyone by name or not, you’re probably including me and whoever else is being slightly critical towards him with your second post. If you weren’t, fair enough, I’m not sure who else was debating the merits of his decision, though. I didn’t think it was arguing, more just I felt strongly he got a massive moment wrong, it happens, no agendas, a clean slate for the next game and hopefully he produces like we know he can.

Offline rolla

• Main Stander
« Reply #3394 on: March 5, 2024, 07:39:39 am »
He's the best 5th choice forward in the league, has contributed really effectively for us this season and he's the obvious player to replace if we want to bring more pace and directness into the forward line and we probably should want to because without Nunez we're a bit one paced up there these days. If we can carry 6 senior forwards though then brilliant.

Agreed.  He's a good player and useful to have in the squad.  He isn't a perfect system fit out of the box in any role, so to go to the next level he needs to adaptand improve his game until he fits a role (like Jones), or make his strengths and output so good that the lack of fit doesn't matter (like Jota).

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3395 on: March 5, 2024, 08:01:36 am »
Agreed.  He's a good player and useful to have in the squad.  He isn't a perfect system fit out of the box in any role, so to go to the next level he needs to adaptand improve his game until he fits a role (like Jones), or make his strengths and output so good that the lack of fit doesn't matter (like Jota).
Wait, Jota isn't a good fit for our system? Wow.

Insane workrate, decent dribbler, gets into great shooting positions, excellent finisher, great inside the box, he's every inch a Klopp player.
« Last Edit: March 5, 2024, 08:16:35 am by Funky_Gibbons »
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #3396 on: March 5, 2024, 08:30:04 am »
11 goals and 4 assists in 38 appearances is not too shabby, especially as a lot of that is coming off the bench.

The notion that he is too nice on the pitch seems to be true with only one yellow card this season.

I like him, think the kid has got something about him. The way he can drive through midfield, knows where the net is and has a decent work ethic.
He reminds me of Dirk Kuyt in many respects.

"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline rolla

• Main Stander
« Reply #3397 on: March 5, 2024, 08:39:26 am »
Wait, Jota isn't a good fit for our system? Wow.

Insane workrate, decent dribbler, gets into great shooting positions, excellent finisher, great inside the box, he's every inch a Klopp player.

I agree on the qualities and him being every inch a Klopp player. I just don't think that he profiles as perfect for a specific role like a winger or our 9.
He is just so bloody good at the things you mention that it doesn't really matter, just get him on the pitch somewhere (anywhere) and it will work.

.... and even then the example might still be a poor one 😆.
« Last Edit: March 5, 2024, 09:05:11 am by rolla »

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3398 on: March 5, 2024, 09:06:50 am »
People said for years that Bobby was unique.  I think Gakpo was signed to be that #9 that could drop deep and link up with our two wide forwards but it's one hell of a role to take on.  Wasn't the talk at the time that we wanted to sign him in the summer but moved for him in January as other clubs (Man U?) were trying to sign him?  That would fit with him being a Bobby replacement.

As it's turned out he's better playing off the left, as is Darwin, as is Jota, as is Diaz.  He's probably the best of them at playing down the middle but he definitely needs pace either side of him to stretch the game.

I think he gets some undue criticism because he always looks so laid back.  He's similar to Virgil and Grav in that respect.  If he had that spark of aggression about him he'd be more of a handful but maybe that would take away from other parts of his game.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3399 on: March 5, 2024, 09:24:37 am »
People said for years that Bobby was unique.  I think Gakpo was signed to be that #9 that could drop deep and link up with our two wide forwards but it's one hell of a role to take on.  Wasn't the talk at the time that we wanted to sign him in the summer but moved for him in January as other clubs (Man U?) were trying to sign him?  That would fit with him being a Bobby replacement.

As it's turned out he's better playing off the left, as is Darwin, as is Jota, as is Diaz.  He's probably the best of them at playing down the middle but he definitely needs pace either side of him to stretch the game.

I think he gets some undue criticism because he always looks so laid back.  He's similar to Virgil and Grav in that respect.  If he had that spark of aggression about him he'd be more of a handful but maybe that would take away from other parts of his game.
Not a chance, it's not even close.