Author Topic: 80s MOVIE DRAFT - Sign up and discussion  (Read 19758 times)

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: 80s MOVIE DRAFT - Sign up and discussion
« Reply #320 on: August 10, 2022, 08:54:59 pm »
Come and See and The Little Mermaid. That's quite a combo.

The perfect double feature.

I did see my local arthouse theatre do Grave of the Fireflies and My Neighbor Totoro as a double feature.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #321 on: August 10, 2022, 09:10:46 pm »
The movie that shook me like that was "Eight Below," about the dogs abandoned in an arctic station. Couldn't finish it and don't plan to try again.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #322 on: August 10, 2022, 09:28:24 pm »
They used hypnosis on the lead actor to give him the catatonic and shell-shocked look needed for the last part of the film. That Hitler photo scene with stock footage is burnt into my memory forever because of the look on the boy's face.
God, I didn’t know that. And they say Kubrick’s treatment of Shelley Duvall was extreme. That kid must have been fucked up for life.

Yeah, there are several really hunting images from that movie. The scene in the open field where they shoot real bullets at him, I think they actually hit a real cow in that. The burning of the village. And that image you mentioned of the boys face, which progressively deteriorated throughout the movie, to the point he resembles a broken old man on that final shot.

It was quite the experience, I must say.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 09:41:48 pm by Lastrador »

Offline NICHOLLS

• Legacy Fan
  • Ohhhhh ya beauty, what a hit son, what a hit!
« Reply #323 on: August 10, 2022, 10:42:27 pm »
I had Come and See pencilled in as my wildcard  :'( (maybe a Grave of the Fireflies-Come and See double feature would have left the viewer completely drained though ;D

Cinematically it’s one of the most unique viewing experiences in film history (while Kubrick’s 2001 and Tarkovsky’s Mirror feel more transcendent/aesthetically abstract, Come & See’s power is in the fearless and relentless visceral journey it puts you through).

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #324 on: August 10, 2022, 10:50:27 pm »
Spies Like Us is a really fun little pick.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #325 on: August 10, 2022, 11:29:01 pm »
I didn't think any of my films would be that popular compared with the other picks. I've not picked any massive box office films or particularly critically acclaimed, I don't think, and I've never ever been able to convince anyone to spend 4 hours to watch Once Upon A Time In America.

Anyone who needs convincing is a knuckle dragger. The soundtrack by Merricone alone is a masterpiece. You listen to it and see the film agan. Great pick, mate
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #326 on: August 11, 2022, 12:08:00 pm »
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #327 on: August 11, 2022, 12:09:23 pm »
Slow morning.

While searching for Beetlejuice gifs last night, this one randomly popped up on google

"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: August 11, 2022, 12:10:50 pm »
SM is up again now right?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #329 on: August 11, 2022, 12:19:56 pm »
I thought it was four hours for people with two picks. A bit tied up with work right now but should be able to post by one either way.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: August 11, 2022, 12:27:53 pm »
Not to speak for Last....but I doubt he'd expect us to wait four hours between picks
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: August 11, 2022, 12:28:42 pm »
It's the standard 2 hours as far as I'm aware.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #332 on: August 11, 2022, 01:31:28 pm »
Sorry for the delay fellas just waking up. Early hours here and badly needed some rest. Just skip if I’m up before 12 pm U.K. time.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #333 on: August 11, 2022, 01:46:26 pm »
Ah, Long Good Friday is a nice little forgotten gem  :thumbup
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: August 11, 2022, 01:56:15 pm »
Ah, Long Good Friday is a nice little forgotten gem  :thumbup

Great film, isn't it. I'm glad no-one else wanted my British movie entry now.

Edit - There goes my Time Bandits pick though. Oh well.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #335 on: August 11, 2022, 02:12:31 pm »
After Hours is a great pick. One of Scorsese's most underrated movies, along with Bringing out the Dead. Was thinking about it for adventure, a nighttime adventure, but it isn't listed as that by those c*nts in Letterboxd.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #336 on: August 11, 2022, 02:48:47 pm »
About the Female lead. Those she has to be the sole lead of the film, say Sigourney Weaver on Aliens, or can she be a co-lead like Holly Hunter in Raising Arizona?

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #337 on: August 11, 2022, 02:50:18 pm »
About the Female lead. Those she has to be the sole lead of the film, say Sigourney Weaver on Aliens, or can she be a co-lead like Holly Hunter in Raising Arizona?

So i'm good with Nightmare on Elm Street? Considering Nancy is definitely the main hero?

Offline NICHOLLS

• Legacy Fan
  • Ohhhhh ya beauty, what a hit son, what a hit!
« Reply #338 on: August 11, 2022, 02:52:08 pm »
Forgot about that rule… :o
I’m sure Grave of the Fireflies and Blood Simple cover it though.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: August 11, 2022, 02:52:13 pm »

Co-lead is good mate :)

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #340 on: August 11, 2022, 02:53:51 pm »
So i'm good with Nightmare on Elm Street? Considering Nancy is definitely the main hero?
I was rooting for Freddy though. Killing all those annoying teenagers.  :D

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: August 11, 2022, 02:56:42 pm »
Breakfast Club is good for female lead/co-lead, right? Considering there's pretty much five leads and two of them are women...?

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: August 11, 2022, 02:56:53 pm »
I was rooting for Freddy though. Killing all those annoying teenagers.  :D

On my second watch through we all were lol

In every single one of them

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #343 on: August 11, 2022, 02:57:47 pm »
Co-lead is good mate :)
Cheers. I really couldn't find many films I liked (and weren't picked already) that had female leads. Guess the 80s weren't very progressive in that aspect.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: August 11, 2022, 02:58:52 pm »
Breakfast Club is good for female lead/co-lead, right? Considering there's pretty much five leads and two of them are women...?

Yep.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #345 on: August 11, 2022, 03:00:03 pm »
After Hours is a great pick. One of Scorsese's most underrated movies, along with Bringing out the Dead. Was thinking about it for adventure, a nighttime adventure, but it isn't listed as that by those c*nts in Letterboxd.

Had a feeling if anyone would have seen it, it'd be you  :D  Yeah, would've made a nice adventure pick. Letterboxd is a strange one sometimes. Thought Beetlejuice might fit in horror too, but alas. Totally forgot about Bringing out the Dead. Would've definitely put that in my 90s selection. Cage at his deranged best.

I think we said co-lead, so Raising Arizona should count. As long as they're central to the plot and top billed, I would say they're good  :thumbup

You've also got Jenny Agutter in American Werewolf. Which is a great pick by the way. One of my all time faves. Only passed on it as I've picked it in a previous film draft.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: August 11, 2022, 03:17:06 pm »
Cheers. I really couldn't find many films I liked (and weren't picked already) that had female leads. Guess the 80s weren't very progressive in that aspect.

A few films had outright female leads but yeah, relatively few that I can think of.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #347 on: August 11, 2022, 03:32:47 pm »
Had a feeling if anyone would have seen it, it'd be you  :D  Yeah, would've made a nice adventure pick. Letterboxd is a strange one sometimes. Thought Beetlejuice might fit in horror too, but alas. Totally forgot about Bringing out the Dead. Would've definitely put that in my 90s selection. Cage at his deranged best.
Oh yeah, I love an urban nighttime adventure. It's one of my favourite settings for a movie, and After Hours is one of the best.

It was between Night on Earth and Bringing out the Dead for my wildcard pick on the last draft. Such a thrillingly deranged movie, with a great Cage performance as you say, at the helm. Another one that fits the urban nighttime setting, although more of a perverse adventure I would say.  ;D

You've also got Jenny Agutter in American Werewolf. Which is a great pick by the way. One of my all time faves. Only passed on it as I've picked it in a previous film draft.
Thanks mate. It's really one of my favourite British films. I was thinking about going for more of a conventional horror film, but I just couldn't pass on it. It's extremely funny when it's a comedy and extremely scary when it's a horror film. I love films like that. There are two other films, that I'm extremely surprised haven't been picked, that fit that type to a tee, and were my backup for American Werewolf.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 03:35:50 pm by Lastrador »

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: August 11, 2022, 03:32:51 pm »
Blood Simples a nice pick, completely forgot about that one! Last watched in A Level Film Studies

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #349 on: August 11, 2022, 03:58:59 pm »
Thanks mate. It's really one of my favourite British films. I was thinking about going for more of a conventional horror film, but I just couldn't pass on it. It's extremely funny when it's a comedy and extremely scary when it's a horror film. I love films like that. There are two other films, that I'm extremely surprised haven't been picked, that fit that type to a tee, and were my backup for American Werewolf.

Dark comedy is probably my favourite genre. One of the hardest to pull off too. That reminds me of another one I love. Wish I'd thought of it for the 90s draft. It's called Dellamorte Dellamore (or Cemetery Man in some countries). I think it would be right up your street. It's by Michele Soavi, who worked with Argento and Fulci. Totally insane film. Not perfect, but worth seeing.

Blood Simples a nice pick, completely forgot about that one! Last watched in A Level Film Studies

Oh look at you and your fancy qualifications.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: August 11, 2022, 04:02:57 pm »
I never said I passed it :D

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #351 on: August 11, 2022, 04:08:12 pm »
Dark comedy is probably my favourite genre. One of the hardest to pull off too. That reminds me of another one I love. Wish I'd thought of it for the 90s draft. It's called Dellamorte Dellamore (or Cemetery Man in some countries). I think it would be right up your street. It's by Michele Soavi, who worked with Argento and Fulci. Totally insane film. Not perfect, but worth seeing.

Watched that the other day on Prime, really good.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: August 11, 2022, 04:12:49 pm »
My next movie will get an interesting reaction from people I think. Some will love it some will hate it.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #353 on: August 11, 2022, 04:26:31 pm »
My next movie will get an interesting reaction from people I think. Some will love it some will hate it.

Dirty Dancing 2?

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: August 11, 2022, 04:27:06 pm »
Dirty Dancing 2?

Who doesn't love dirty dancing 2? Heathens.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #355 on: August 11, 2022, 04:34:52 pm »

My money is on this

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: August 11, 2022, 04:37:53 pm »
My money is on this

Guest starring Christopher Lloyd?

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: August 11, 2022, 04:38:36 pm »
My money is on this

:lmao that's a great movie btw

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: August 11, 2022, 04:40:28 pm »

If it's a 1980's Bond movie, no-one will love it, trust me.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #359 on: August 11, 2022, 04:44:32 pm »
Cheers mate. Already looked it up, sounds really promising. Will definitely give it a watch.

Watched that the other day on Prime, really good.
Not in here, unfortunately. Did find Priscilla though.  :D