Author Topic: 80s MOVIE DRAFT - Sign up and discussion  (Read 19774 times)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: 80s MOVIE DRAFT - Sign up and discussion
« Reply #240 on: August 10, 2022, 11:48:26 am »
Looking back on these films and then realising that they are over 30 years ago and I was in my teenage years is disturbing, it only seems like yesterday!

Delete that and post in this one Joe :D Thats just for selections
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #241 on: August 10, 2022, 11:58:18 am »
Weird Science = all my votes.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #242 on: August 10, 2022, 12:24:22 pm »
Ahhh Mad Max 2, the best of all the Maxes. A fine pick
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #243 on: August 10, 2022, 12:25:58 pm »
"Peter, your son was lurking outside a classmate’s window with this boom box, playing Peter Gabriel. He’s being charged with felony stalking."

"I also tried to use science to make a sex slave from a magazine photo."

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #244 on: August 10, 2022, 12:26:27 pm »
Back on the grid today. So many picks I've wanted have gone in the last couple of rounds, but a special fuck you to Musketeer for taking The Lost Boys. My favourite vampire movie ever. Dammit, I thought that would last awhile yet. Also took A Fish Called Wanda, which is an excellent film. Watched it recently and it still holds up well.

Brazil is also an amazing pick, which I had hoped would go under the radar a bit longer. De Niro's off the wall cameo role is fucking exquisite. 
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #245 on: August 10, 2022, 12:31:26 pm »
Ahhh Mad Max 2, the best of all the Maxes. A fine pick

Big personal favourite of mine. Remember first watching it with my Dad and loving every second of it. Loved Fury Road too though. Saw it in the cinema in 3d and could barely walk straight afterwards.

Genre question on Mad Max... I put it in Sci-Fi, but would it be better as a Thriller?
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #246 on: August 10, 2022, 12:34:38 pm »
Big personal favourite of mine. Remember first watching it with my Dad and loving every second of it. Loved Fury Road too though. Saw it in the cinema in 3d and could barely walk straight afterwards.

Genre question on Mad Max... I put it in Sci-Fi, but would it be better as a Thriller?

Meh it could be anything really, action, sci fi, thriller, adventure.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #247 on: August 10, 2022, 12:57:58 pm »

It works in Sci-Fi better, I would think, but whatever suits your own list best is the way to go. Not that our lists are anything but tatters at this point. It's impossible to predict how this will go.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Online Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: August 10, 2022, 01:05:51 pm »
Back on the grid today. So many picks I've wanted have gone in the last couple of rounds, but a special fuck you to Musketeer for taking The Lost Boys. My favourite vampire movie ever. Dammit, I thought that would last awhile yet. Also took A Fish Called Wanda, which is an excellent film. Watched it recently and it still holds up well.

Brazil is also an amazing pick, which I had hoped would go under the radar a bit longer. De Niro's off the wall cameo role is fucking exquisite. 

I didn't think any of my films would be that popular compared with the other picks. I've not picked any massive box office films or particularly critically acclaimed, I don't think, and I've never ever been able to convince anyone to spend 4 hours to watch Once Upon A Time In America.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: August 10, 2022, 01:29:09 pm »
A few overrated films picked so far but Blow Out might be on the other end of the scale. De Palma's best IMO, and superior to the original too.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #250 on: August 10, 2022, 01:47:02 pm »
A few overrated films picked so far but Blow Out might be on the other end of the scale. De Palma's best IMO, and superior to the original too.
Agree completely on all accounts. I was completely blown away (no pun intended) when I first watched it and mystified by how little recognition it got on its release and how's not widely considered De Palma's finest work. A dark, thrilling and devastating masterpiece I couldn't let slide.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #251 on: August 10, 2022, 01:52:02 pm »
Weird Science!  :thumbsup

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #252 on: August 10, 2022, 01:55:44 pm »
Paris Texas (1984) - Drama/Romance
I knew this was coming.  ;D

I recently bought the Criterion Collection Blu-ray (which looks amazing), as I've only watched it once a few years ago, and I loved it even more. A gorgeous movie, Robby Muller is easily one of my favourite DPs, and an amazing pick.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #253 on: August 10, 2022, 02:17:14 pm »
It works in Sci-Fi better, I would think, but whatever suits your own list best is the way to go. Not that our lists are anything but tatters at this point. It's impossible to predict how this will go.

Yep, that was my feeling too. As a sci-fi fanatic, it was tempting to have it as a thriller just so I could squeeze one more piece of sci-fi madness in. But I'd rather keep my films in their best categories if possible. I've always got the wildcard for that anyway.

I knew this was coming.  ;D

I recently bought the Criterion Collection Blu-ray (which looks amazing), as I've only watched it once a few years ago, and I loved it even more. A gorgeous movie, Robby Muller is easily one of my favourite DPs, and an amazing pick.

Yep, fantastic film. Sheer is on fire here. The opening desert scene is incredible. Alice in the Cities is probably my favourite Wenders film. I recommend seeing it if you haven't already.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #254 on: August 10, 2022, 02:26:22 pm »
Stand By Me is a great pick. I must have watched it a dozen times as a kid, which is pretty remarkable as it's pretty fucked up, and I can still remember most of it even though I haven't watched it in decades. A great coming-of-age movie, with all the beauty and sadness that it entails. 

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #255 on: August 10, 2022, 02:42:55 pm »
Love that Near Dark pick.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #256 on: August 10, 2022, 02:46:49 pm »
Bill Paxton is the coolest fucker ever in that movie.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: August 10, 2022, 02:52:44 pm »
Paxton's been in four of these films so far, five if you count the split-second where he's one of the air traffic guys in Commando.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #258 on: August 10, 2022, 02:56:43 pm »
Dammit, I thought Near Dark would go under the radar a bit longer. File with Repo Man under cult classic.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: August 10, 2022, 02:58:36 pm »

:D

Love that Near Dark pick.

Bill Paxton is the coolest fucker ever in that movie.

Nice. I wasn't sure whether people would have seen it but glad that people like it as well :)
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: August 10, 2022, 03:02:36 pm »
Sheer you have taken both of  my next two picks. Gotta do some thinking now.

Both great films though.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: August 10, 2022, 03:17:26 pm »
Still two of maybe my top ten of all time left in this. One will probably go before it gets back round, I'd be surprised if enough people have seen the other one to go for it. Great decade for cinema though, just underrated because the 70s and 90s were on either side.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #262 on: August 10, 2022, 03:24:21 pm »
Still two of maybe my top ten of all time left in this. One will probably go before it gets back round, I'd be surprised if enough people have seen the other one to go for it. Great decade for cinema though, just underrated because the 70s and 90s were on either side.

One of them is definitely Mac and Me.

Offline dis_1

• Main Stander
« Reply #263 on: August 10, 2022, 03:24:48 pm »
"glory" and "blow out" on download now, ashamed to say i'd never even heard of these - but really looking forward to watching these now!!!
all the other picks are true nostalgia blasts that i was hoping to get the chance to pick. it's going to be slim pickings soon.....

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #265 on: August 10, 2022, 03:56:44 pm »
Great pick Bobby. Gene Hackman is an absolute boss in that film. Watched it in school and seen it loads of times since.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #266 on: August 10, 2022, 04:00:27 pm »
Haha, you know me too well: https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=314834.msg16801896#msg16801896

Haha that's brilliant. I'd have never have got it. Don't even know if I ever sat through Mac and Me. If I did I scrubbed it from my brain.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: August 10, 2022, 04:03:14 pm »
Grave of the Fireflies is such a beautiful piece of work and haunting at the same time. I cried so much after watching it.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: August 10, 2022, 04:04:10 pm »
Great pick Bobby. Gene Hackman is an absolute boss in that film. Watched it in school and seen it loads of times since.

Agreed, brilliant pick that.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #269 on: August 10, 2022, 04:07:39 pm »
It's hard to think of a pick that hasn't been great at this stage. Such is the brilliance of the 80s.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: August 10, 2022, 04:09:10 pm »
It's hard to think of a pick that hasn't been great at this stage. Such is the brilliance of the 80s.

My next pick will test that... assuming mongoose doesn't pick it.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: August 10, 2022, 04:24:23 pm »
Stunned silence ... ;)

Online Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: August 10, 2022, 04:27:03 pm »
Nah, that's a great movie. Female lead as well?

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #273 on: August 10, 2022, 04:29:59 pm »
Stunned silence ... ;)

Another great one in the horror genre for me. Fits your goth rep too. Love the Gifs you posted  :lmao

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: August 10, 2022, 04:32:35 pm »
Stunned silence ... ;)
The way you were setting it up, I was expecting this:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/o6tz9pga4H4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/o6tz9pga4H4</a>

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: August 10, 2022, 04:46:46 pm »
Nah, that's a great movie. Female lead as well?

I would say so, I mean obviously Freddy is the main bad, but the hero of the movie is Nancy, and she does “overcome” Freddy at the end. I can change it if people disagree.

Another great one in the horror genre for me. Fits your goth rep too. Love the Gifs you posted  :lmao

I watched it at a sleep over when I was like 9/10 yrs old, scared the utter poop out of me. I love them really, Freddy has to be the most charismatic villain ever.

I’ve watched them all, except the new one, which I refuse to watch, nightmare without Robert Englund just seems very wrong.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 04:48:34 pm by Chakan »

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #276 on: August 10, 2022, 04:54:44 pm »
The way you were setting it up, I was expecting this:

Not a patch on the pillow fight scene in Jason X. Or as I like to call it, Jason in Space.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1tyKm2zvuZ8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1tyKm2zvuZ8</a>

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: August 10, 2022, 05:00:17 pm »
Lol the Jason movies are comical to me though, always preferred Freddy since it was a lot more believable as a bad guy.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #278 on: August 10, 2022, 05:18:49 pm »
Belting pick Samie, my favourite from Mann the man.

I really struggled to choose between Blow Out and Thief for my crime/thriller pick, as I really love both, but Blow Out just about edges it. Really glad someone picked it though, as it's a stunning film with amazing cinematography, a boss soundtrack and James Caan's best performances ever.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 05:23:24 pm by Lastrador »

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: August 10, 2022, 05:44:07 pm »
dis knocking it out of the park again with the second best Christmas film of all time.

'You are so pathetic, that was the Little House on the Prairie' ;D