Author Topic: Former Japanese PM Shinzo Abe shot dead  (Read 1863 times)

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
Former Japanese PM Shinzo Abe shot dead
« on: July 8, 2022, 10:02:24 am »

The former Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe has died aged 67 after being shot while making a speech in the western city of Nara.

Abe, the country’s longest-serving prime minister until he resigned in 2020, was flown to hospital by helicopter after the shooting. His death was first reported by the public broadcaster NHK.

Footage and accounts broadcast by Japanese media showed Abe’s speech interrupted by two loud bangs – possibly from a shotgun – and smoke, with Abe stumbling to the ground after the second shot. TBS Television reported that Abe had been shot on the left side of his chest and apparently also in the neck. NHK had initially quoted firefighters as saying Abe showed no vital signs.

Moments later, members of Abe’s security detail wrestled a man to the ground some metres behind the former prime minister. The suspect was wearing a grey shirt, light brown trousers and grey trainers. His face was partly obscured by a surgical mask. He reportedly did not attempt to flee before being detained at the scene.

NHK said a suspect, named by police as Tetsuya Yamagami, a 41-year-old resident of Nara, had been taken into custody but provided no further details.

Police said that the weapon thought to have been used in the attack was homemade, according to local media reports. A photograph showed two cylindrical metal parts that appeared to have been heavily bound with black tape lying on the road near the scene.

The conservative politician, who had been in Nara to make a campaign speech ahead of this Sunday’s upper house elections, was known for his “Abenomics” policy to lift the world’s third-biggest economy out of deflation and for supporting a more prominent role for Japan’s military to counter growing threats from North Korea and a more assertive China.

Having quit abruptly as premier in 2007 after one year in the post, he swept back for a rare second stint in 2012 pledging to revive a stagnant economy, loosen the limits of a post-world war two pacifist constitution and restore conservative values.

He was instrumental in winning the 2020 Olympics for Tokyo, cherishing a wish to preside over the Games and even appeared as Nintendo video game character Mario during the Olympic handover at Rio 2016.

While in office he failed to realise his main political ambition – to revise Japan’s “pacifist” constitution, which prohibits the country from using force to resolve international disputes. In recent weeks he had voiced support for significant rises in Japan’s defence budget, citing Russia’s invasion of Ukraine as proof that Japan should stay vigilant in case of a Chinese invasion of Taiwan.

Abe became Japan’s longest-serving premier in November 2019, but by the summer of 2020, public support had been eroded by his handling of the Covid-19 outbreak as well as a series of scandals, including the arrest of his former justice minister. Citing the return of a chronic bowel complaint that had contributed to the premature end to his first term in office, he resigned without presiding over the Games, which were postponed to 2021 due to the pandemic.

Japan has close to “zero-tolerance” of gun ownership – an approach that experts say contributes to its extremely low rate of gun crime. There were six reported gun deaths in 2014, according to the National Police Agency, and the number rarely exceeds 10, in a country of 126 million people.

Video clip showing aftermath with suspect being arrested

https://twitter.com/DailyWorld24/status/1545330502240026625?s=20&t=FUaCV8CWL3d298uINQQ5aA
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: Former Japanese PM Shinzo Abe shot dead
« Reply #1 on: July 8, 2022, 10:06:04 am »
Shit, heard he had been shot on the news early this morning and his condition then was described as grave. RIP

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #2 on: July 8, 2022, 10:07:28 am »
Just read about him being shot which is incredibly disturbing in itself given the strictness of Japan's gun laws. RIP

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: July 8, 2022, 10:11:31 am »
Just read about him being shot which is incredibly disturbing in itself given the strictness of Japan's gun laws. RIP
I heard a report that the gun was homemade.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 8, 2022, 10:12:49 am »
Looks to me, from the pictures, that the weapon was homemade or at least heavily modified. Truly awful. Don’t know a lot about Japanese politics but Abe seems to have been about forever. I actually didn’t realise he was no longer PM.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #5 on: July 8, 2022, 10:15:48 am »
I heard a report that the gun was homemade.

Certainly looks homemade
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: July 8, 2022, 11:17:55 am »
Was shocked when I saw this news. Always thought he was a decent leader, why would someone want to kill him?? Must have been some real nutcase out there.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #7 on: July 8, 2022, 11:23:08 am »
Really didn't think this would happen in a calm country like Japan of all places. Guns are scary stuff.

RIP
Linudden.

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: July 8, 2022, 12:08:24 pm »
Just crazy stuff

RIP
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: July 8, 2022, 12:36:43 pm »
RIP. Sounds pretty horrifying, was it broadcast live on TV? 

Sounds like they've found explosives at the perpetrators house. Seems he's ex-Navy

Really didn't think this would happen in a calm country like Japan of all places. Guns are scary stuff.

RIP

I think this is a bit of a euro-centric cliche that it's easy to fall into, but I don't think it has a great deal of grounding in truth, albeit they do have strict gun control.

Lots of examples recently and in recent decades of violence, including political violence in Japan:

Knife attacks on public transport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_2021_Tokyo_attack
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_2021_Tokyo_stabbings

Most famously, and terrifying, the sarin attacks in 90s
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_subway_sarin_attack
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matsumoto_sarin_attack

Car attacks and bombs/highjackings on flights
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Tokyo_car_attack
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine_Airlines_Flight_434
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Nippon_Airways_Flight_61
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Nippon_Airways_Flight_857
« Last Edit: July 8, 2022, 12:39:50 pm by Classycara »

Offline penfold102

• It remains unclear as to whether "102" refers to my IQ or my dad's age - let RAWK decide! :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: July 8, 2022, 01:15:47 pm »
Was shocked when I saw this news. Always thought he was a decent leader, why would someone want to kill him?? Must have been some real nutcase out there.

Popular leader yes, not sure I would say decent. He had some pretty contentious views, and was pretty focussed on changing the constitution so that Japan was no longer a pacifist country. As the suspected assassin was a member of the self-defence force, I wonder whether Abe’s future militaristic plans may have had something to do with it.
Fils et pere - Trade count of 35+

What's tomato with you?

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #11 on: July 8, 2022, 01:29:57 pm »
Popular leader yes, not sure I would say decent. He had some pretty contentious views, and was pretty focussed on changing the constitution so that Japan was no longer a pacifist country. As the suspected assassin was a member of the self-defence force, I wonder whether Abe’s future militaristic plans may have had something to do with it.

I'm in no way cheering the assassination, but this is correct. He was also an economic right-winger and a social conservative who wanted to turn the clock backwards to a time of 'Japanese culture' overriding the more multicultural and liberal society that is evolving there.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #12 on: July 8, 2022, 01:34:47 pm »
None of that makes him ‘not decent’.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #13 on: July 8, 2022, 01:37:28 pm »

It depends on the context your using 'decent' in.

If you mean ability in his work, like "xyz is a decent striker", then fair enough.

If you mean moral decency, then I personally cannot consider somewone with deep right-wing, anti-liberal freedoms, pro-military views to be 'decent'.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: July 8, 2022, 01:57:00 pm »
He was a very prominent denier of Japan’s war crimes..

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #15 on: July 8, 2022, 01:57:13 pm »
Then you’re setting the Overton Window far narrower than (in my view) it should be.  Huge numbers of people hold those views and I can’t personally think of anything abhorrent that Abe did, and in the end we all have to live together.

Thanks, I’ll need to remind myself of this.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: July 8, 2022, 02:03:01 pm »

Yes this is where he's indecent.

Declaring all japanese who consider pacifist post-ww2 national policy to now be dated - especially in context of north korean and chinese developments - and as 'pro-military' (and therefore definitely indecent) as if it means pro-starting wars seems a lot more overly simplistic.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: July 8, 2022, 02:03:52 pm »
Awful to hear. Comments on his policies are irrelevant, he was hugely respected and liked on the international stage.

Imagine if this happened to Blair, or even Johnson (no comment) or Trump. Look at poor Jo Cox, some Brexit nutcase and it’s barely remembered.

Some very serious questions to be asked of his security team though. Was hardly a packed crowd.
« Last Edit: July 8, 2022, 02:06:20 pm by rossipersempre »
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline penfold102

• It remains unclear as to whether "102" refers to my IQ or my dad's age - let RAWK decide! :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: July 8, 2022, 03:05:53 pm »
Then you’re setting the Overton Window far narrower than (in my view) it should be.  Huge numbers of people hold those views and I can’t personally think of anything abhorrent that Abe did, and in the end we all have to live together.Thanks, I’ll need to remind myself of this.

You are absolutely right. Although I disagreed with his views and nationalistic tendencies, it is a tragedy. As with Jo Cox and David Amess, it was clearly a nutjob hellbent on killing him. I was purely speculating on his motives.

What's tomato with you?

Offline penfold102

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: July 8, 2022, 03:09:20 pm »

Some very serious questions to be asked of his security team though. Was hardly a packed crowd.

I lived in Japan from 2010 to 2018. During election season it was quite common to see prospective candidates and guest speakers standing on the roof of a minivan in crowded areas with virtually no protection. This kind of thing just doesn’t happen in Japan. I wonder whether this might change things however.

What's tomato with you?

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: July 8, 2022, 03:20:54 pm »
I think this is a bit of a euro-centric cliche that it's easy to fall into, but I don't think it has a great deal of grounding in truth, albeit they do have strict gun control.

Lots of examples recently and in recent decades of violence, including political violence in Japan:

Knife attacks on public transport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_2021_Tokyo_attack
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_2021_Tokyo_stabbings

Most famously, and terrifying, the sarin attacks in 90s
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_subway_sarin_attack
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matsumoto_sarin_attack

Car attacks and bombs/highjackings on flights
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Tokyo_car_attack
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine_Airlines_Flight_434
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Nippon_Airways_Flight_61
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Nippon_Airways_Flight_857

I can only go on my own experience but I believe in certain ways Japan is a calm country for crime, partly because conviction rates are so staggeringly high and prison sentence's so severe for certain crimes. On a day to day level for violent attacks and mugging it is very calm from what I can see

However there are massive, MASSIVE issues of sexual assault and very minimal punishment for such.

I also think fanatical or idiological attacks are comparatively more frequent to "standard" crime - I cannot say why this is but there have been a fair few cases. This and the Kyoto Animation arson attack comes to mind.

So while I don't think it is entirely without merit to say Japan is calm, but it's only half the reality. It is such a calm country for European's and Americans relative to the usual crime there, but there's plenty of other issues and crimes happening in Japan which are somewhat alien to us.

Japan is a place and culture and history I love, but like every country in the world, it has big social issues - some the same as the west, some very different, there's a lot about the place I do not like (much like everywhere in the world) despite my overall love for the place.

On Abe, I think it is horrid that anyone is killed in a political assassination, although as respected as he is there is plenty to say he was a horrible bastard, particularly his denial of Japanese war crimes and in particular the Korean Comfort Women. Still, I do not believe in any form of political violence/assassination, and I am horrified by this.
« Last Edit: July 8, 2022, 03:23:58 pm by Stockholm Syndrome »

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: July 8, 2022, 03:23:34 pm »
I lived in Japan from 2010 to 2018. During election season it was quite common to see prospective candidates and guest speakers standing on the roof of a minivan in crowded areas with virtually no protection. This kind of thing just doesn’t happen in Japan. I wonder whether this might change things however.

I suspect it will forever yes. The Sarin attacks led to Japan basically removing all public bins except in specific places by food shops or vending machines (learnt just to carry around rubbish when I went a few years ago).

I suspect such a death like this is going to change Japanese political campaign in the same vein

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: July 9, 2022, 05:25:20 am »
I suspect it will forever yes. The Sarin attacks led to Japan basically removing all public bins except in specific places by food shops or vending machines (learnt just to carry around rubbish when I went a few years ago).

I suspect such a death like this is going to change Japanese political campaign in the same vein

This has always been a pet peeve of mine, looking for a garbage can in Japan basically consists of looking for the nearest convenience store and throwing something away sheepishly. Japanese overreaction to something terrible always has long lasting consequences that scar the public psyche. Many examples of this everywhere.

Regardless of Abe and his political views, it looks more and more like mental health is the issue here. These attacks are becoming more and more common in Japan in recent years, only this time the target was a huge political figure. In the end, I cannot condone something that allows the fringe elements of society to win.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: July 9, 2022, 06:34:36 am »
In the past 12 months there have been 10 shootings (8 linked to Yakuza) and 1 death in Japan. This guy manufactured a homemade pistol. If it does anything it will reinforce the current rules around handgun ownership in Japan. It sounds like this guy would have failed all of the tests in place to get access to any firearms.

We're never going to prevent people with mental health issues from committing these kinds of crimes. What does work is reducing the frequency and impact (number of victims) by having proper rules over gun ownership.

Japan V USA
Population: 120m v 300m
Gun Deaths: 1 v 45,000 (excluding suicides)
Guns per 100: 0.3 v 120 (USA more guns than people)

I'm hoping this changes nothing in Japan.

And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: July 9, 2022, 10:10:02 am »

Agree. It did exactly that (change security levels) for Sweden after Olof Palme.
« Last Edit: July 9, 2022, 10:12:21 am by rossipersempre »
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg