Author Topic: Football Circle Draft- Discussion Thread/Sign Ups  (Read 13775 times)

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Re: Football Circle Draft- Discussion Thread/Sign Ups
« Reply #400 on: June 10, 2022, 08:45:13 am »
A couple of picks others have made have just completely derailed my endgame.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #401 on: June 10, 2022, 08:45:56 am »

Don’t lie. We all know you’ve always been a huge fan of Mourinho’s Chelsea.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #402 on: June 10, 2022, 08:46:25 am »
Don’t lie. We all know you’ve always been a huge fan of Mourinho’s Chelsea.

John Terry pick incoming.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #403 on: June 10, 2022, 08:47:21 am »
John Terry - Neil Shipperley - Attillio Lombardo.

Thank me later.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #404 on: June 10, 2022, 08:47:40 am »

Then Wayne Bridge’s ex?

Played together at Chelsea etc etc

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #405 on: June 10, 2022, 09:52:03 am »
Do we consider Bayern Munich 11 a separate entity from Bayern Munich? Trying to get Ralph Hasenhüttl

« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 09:55:28 am by vivabobbygraham »
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #406 on: June 10, 2022, 09:59:34 am »

I know how you feel.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #407 on: June 10, 2022, 10:06:09 am »
I’m feeling quite chippy about things actually. Have a good day all.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: June 10, 2022, 10:22:55 am »
Do we consider Bayern Munich 11 a separate entity from Bayern Munich? Trying to get Ralph Hasenhüttl
Bayern Munich 2 are a separate team IMO, they play in a different division and operate their own separate transfers.

Others might feel differently.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #409 on: June 10, 2022, 10:30:43 am »
This is an absolute nightmare :D Kudos Samie, this one has got us thinking like no other draft I can remember. I've got one route back to Maradona which I'm expecting to get obliterated in the next few picks
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: June 10, 2022, 11:09:56 am »
Bayern Munich 2 are a separate team IMO, they play in a different division and operate their own separate transfers.

Others might feel differently.

Thanks DS. Still couldn't make it work!!

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #411 on: June 10, 2022, 11:13:49 am »
This is an absolute nightmare :D Kudos Samie, this one has got us thinking like no other draft I can remember. I've got one route back to Maradona which I'm expecting to get obliterated in the next few picks
I found one route back to mine that needed Maradona as a link player - they played their best stuff 2 decades apart and played together once when Maradona was 37 and this pick was 17. The great one is gone though.

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #412 on: June 10, 2022, 11:18:37 am »
It does tax you a bit. I'd been looking to use Inter as a bridge to go back up to 70's Bayern and NY Cosmos and pick up Beckenbauer. Then Zanetti and Roberto Carlos both went and that was a no go.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #413 on: June 10, 2022, 11:26:03 am »
I've sent Linudden on as my head is bursting with it all. I'll put my two picks together on the way back

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: June 10, 2022, 12:00:53 pm »
Got my wing backs in place, Marcelo and Alves.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #415 on: June 10, 2022, 12:21:17 pm »
John Terry picked.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: June 10, 2022, 12:26:54 pm »
Aside from being an arsehole he was an extremely good defender. Brave, strong, great in the air, goal threat, better on the ball than people seem to remember, good with both feet.

What doesn't help is:

1. Massive, massive twat and horrible human
2. When he did start to go, maybe around 16/17, he really went and got embarrassed by some average and fairly poor strikers. Dropped off from being one of the best Centre Halves in the world to being flattened by Championship forwards in the space of 18 months
3. Horrible bastard
4. Snide horrid racist twat

Sol Campbell was better than any of Ferdinand, Vidic and Terry.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: June 10, 2022, 12:28:47 pm »
A bit of a shame PiM had to drop out (or not for the rest of us!)

Those American teams in the 70s would have been interesting (surprised Sheer didn't go that route with Cruyff). Beckenbauer at the NY Cosmos, links with Pele/Carlos Alberto there, then have a nice little run around 60/70s Brazil, see if you can get back to Ford Lauderdale with George Best, then Gerd Muller and boom.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #419 on: June 10, 2022, 12:30:36 pm »
Agree with with everything you said DS. Why do people get themselves in this moral quandary in drafts? Just stay away from the horrible picks. Tubby's quite lucky he's missed out, having already picked Ronaldo.

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #420 on: June 10, 2022, 12:37:36 pm »
You know you don't have to pick your own sheep yet, Linudden.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: June 10, 2022, 01:01:42 pm »
A bit of a shame PiM had to drop out (or not for the rest of us!)

Those American teams in the 70s would have been interesting (surprised Sheer didn't go that route with Cruyff). Beckenbauer at the NY Cosmos, links with Pele/Carlos Alberto there, then have a nice little run around 60/70s Brazil, see if you can get back to Ford Lauderdale with George Best, then Gerd Muller and boom.
The original plan was to go back through Bergomi at Inter to Rummenigge so I could pick up Maier, Beckenbauer, maybe Pele at the Cosmos and then return via Neeskens. But that route got closed off so I had to change tack. TBF, I probably would have stuck to the 70s if I'd known no one else was going to touch that era.

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #422 on: June 10, 2022, 01:04:09 pm »
To add to the already glowing praise, Samie really hit the ball out of the park with this draft idea. Definitely got my regrets with paths not taken, but the struggle to find a way out of each mess has been challenging on a level possibly never reached before in drafting. In fact, I'm still not even close to sure I'll make it home.

I hope we'll come back to this format again. Hopefully with a few tighter rules (no sticking with one team) and I'd love to try something mad like us all starting in the same league.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: June 10, 2022, 01:39:37 pm »
Its been a great draft idea so far. One of the more frustrating ones when you don't get someone you want - because it can change your entire team just with one pick being taken, but that adds to the fun.

Like my team has the first 3 I planned to pick and then from thereon out, I've had to switch tack multiple times. My original plan had Thuram leading into Henry to Vieira into classic Milan to eventually lead to Johan Cruyff with a convoluted route back, but as soon as Henry went the whole plan was in the bin.

My end team isn't going to have as much representation team wise but hopefully it will still be pretty good.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: June 10, 2022, 01:56:22 pm »
Yes, had to bale out of my original idea as the circle jerk at the end makes it impossible to keep pure, without it, it's a good draft in its own right. Not sure if it's been done before? So, because I had to abandon it late on, I missed out on some pretty good players but hope I've found a decent way home I feel. Of course that depends if some other prick takes my players!!!

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: June 10, 2022, 02:02:53 pm »
To add to the already glowing praise, Samie really hit the ball out of the park with this draft idea. Definitely got my regrets with paths not taken, but the struggle to find a way out of each mess has been challenging on a level possibly never reached before in drafting. In fact, I'm still not even close to sure I'll make it home.

I hope we'll come back to this format again. Hopefully with a few tighter rules (no sticking with one team) and I'd love to try something mad like us all starting in the same league.
Maybe next time you can't have more than one link per team, but you also don't have to circle back at the end?

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: June 10, 2022, 02:11:38 pm »
Maybe next time you can't have more than one link per team, but you also don't have to circle back at the end?

:thumbup

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: June 10, 2022, 02:17:05 pm »
Still think starting with a shit player would be great too. Imagine starting with Efan Ekoku, somehow managing to get Maldini and Baresi in the same team, and then having to circle back to Carl Leaburn.

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: June 10, 2022, 02:19:34 pm »
Still think starting with a shit player would be great too. Imagine starting with Efan Ekoku, somehow managing to get Maldini and Baresi in the same team, and then having to circle back to Carl Leaburn.
I like this idea a lot.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: June 10, 2022, 02:24:14 pm »
As It Stands:

Drinks Sangria- Ronaldo, Zidane, Thuram, Iniesta, Alves, Ramos, Modric, Benzema, Marcelo,

Linudden- Messi, Suarez, Gerrard, Mascherano, Xavi, Villa, Godin, Filipe Luís, Terry,

VBG- Mbappe, Thiago Silva, Pirlo, Seedorf, Raul, Robben, Lahm, Kroos, Navas,

El Lobo- Maradona, Ferrara, Nedved, Davids, Zanetti, Eto'o,  Albertini,  Marquez, Abidal,

Sarge- Hansen, Kennedy, Souness, Clemence, Neal, Whelan, Barnes, Dalglish, Thompson,

Sheer Magnetism- Cruyff, Lerby, Koeman, Guardiola, Figo, F De Boer, Overmars, van Bronckhorst, Bergkamp,

Tubby- Alonso, C Ronaldo, Kaka, Cafu, Shevchenko, A Cole, Essien, Carvalho, Varane,

Hazell- Lewandowski, Thiago, Van Dijk, Salah, Fabinho, Mane, Trent, Robertson,

RobbieRedman- Maldini, Van Basten, Donadoni, Desailly, Makalele, Carlos, Casillas, Di Maria,

Betty Blue- Baggio, Baresi, Vieira, Henry, Puyol, Rivaldo, Gattuso, Boban,

Samie- Rijkaard, Gullit, Vierchowod, Del Piero, Jugović, Prosinecki, Hierro, Panucci,

Crosby Nick-  Matthaus, Klinsmann, Veron, Cannavaro, Batistuta, Rui Costa, Stam, D Baggio,

Nicholls1986- Ronaldinho, Nesta, Redondo, M Laudrup, Romário, Stoichkov, Buffon, Zambrotta,

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: June 10, 2022, 02:30:19 pm »

:D

Thanks mate.

Only draft I remember with this amount of thinking involved was when Prof picked Badger Cull and we thought he'd be stuck in South America forever.   ;D

Yeah, next Circle Draft we'll tighten that area around a "One Team" rule.  :wave

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #431 on: June 10, 2022, 02:31:08 pm »
I think looking at those teams that this might be one of the most balanced drafts ever, in terms of quality across the teams. There's none in there that I look at as clear favourites or a poor side.

There is some that are boring and unimaginative so I may struggle to vote for them, though my own strays upon that a touch. My original plan had 9 teams represented, my final team will have 5.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #432 on: June 10, 2022, 02:33:11 pm »
All good and a lot can happen but Nicholls has the most eye catching team at the moment I think. But yeah, lots of fun.

And I’ve ended up with more from one club than I imagined. But that’s only because 90% of Serie A players have played for Inter at some point.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #433 on: June 10, 2022, 02:46:42 pm »
yeah great draft
got a migraine now, cheers  ;D

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: June 10, 2022, 02:55:03 pm »
And it all goes up in smoke...well in, tubby  :rash

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #435 on: June 10, 2022, 02:56:37 pm »
Wait, Samie's picked George Weah? Didn't see that one coming.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #436 on: June 10, 2022, 02:57:07 pm »
And it all goes up in smoke...well in, tubby  :rash

Happy to help, pal.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #437 on: June 10, 2022, 02:58:03 pm »

Wouldn't that defeat the whole challenge though? If you you could just go on one big merry go round with no end destination in mind then there would never be any peril. We've done this before in any case. I think it was called something like a chain draft.

Yep, that would be great too. Although not sure that would work quite as well with the circle rule.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: June 10, 2022, 02:58:47 pm »
#Don'tBreakTheCircle

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: June 10, 2022, 02:59:36 pm »
If it gets round to me in the next few hours, move on, as I'm on the road and my head hurts. May as well wait to see if I can resurrect anything from the wreckage that is about to occur to us all  :butt