Author Topic: Welcome to LFC Ben Doak  (Read 98931 times)

Offline phoenician

• Kopite
Re: Welcome to LFC Ben Doak
« Reply #360 on: January 9, 2023, 06:21:16 am »
He has that 'I'm not fucked who you are I'm here to do my thing' and also that 'don't fuck with me glare' 😂

If the scouts are game for a night out in Glasgow, they'll find plenty more like him.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #361 on: January 9, 2023, 12:48:12 pm »
The poster who said that Doak is "completely one-footed" has just revealed himself to be completely one-eyed when it comes to watching football.

It beggars belief how some people watch the game.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #362 on: January 9, 2023, 12:59:08 pm »
seems to have that strength and toughness that's required for this level, hope he gets some more minutes he's an exciting talent

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #363 on: January 9, 2023, 04:57:37 pm »
Not afraid to take on the big lads, try and boss them. I like his drive on the pitch. Tidy little gem!
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #364 on: January 9, 2023, 11:55:22 pm »
The poster who said that Doak is "completely one-footed" has just revealed himself to be completely one-eyed when it comes to watching football.

It beggars belief how some people watch the game.

Indeed. I’ll be honest, I think this kid is the most exciting youngster we’ve had since Owen - and that includes a lot of real talent like Bajcetic.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #365 on: January 10, 2023, 07:01:03 am »
Indeed. I’ll be honest, I think this kid is the most exciting youngster we’ve had since Owen - and that includes a lot of real talent like Bajcetic.
I’m not sure if he will make it here.  We’ve seen nowhere near enough ….yet…

But as for our best talent since Owen?

I think one Steven Gerrard would disagree….

As would one Raheem Sterling

Young players mostly don’t kick on.  It’s dangerous to have too high expectations from them.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #366 on: January 10, 2023, 08:47:48 am »

He is the most promising young winger we have had for a long time, that's for sure...

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #367 on: January 10, 2023, 08:49:22 am »
He is the most promising young winger we have had for a long time, that's for sure...

Sterling wasn't that long ago.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #368 on: January 10, 2023, 08:56:40 am »
Sterling wasn't that long ago.

That was more than 7 years ago and we have not had any youth wingers remotely close to his level since till Doak.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: January 10, 2023, 10:00:53 am »
That was more than 7 years ago and we have not had any youth wingers remotely close to his level since till Doak.
People held Gordon in high esteem just 12 months ago...He had quite the eventful january 2022 in the first team. Unfortunately, he has spent most of the last 12 months injured.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #370 on: January 10, 2023, 10:29:28 am »
People held Gordon in high esteem just 12 months ago...He had quite the eventful january 2022 in the first team. Unfortunately, he has spent most of the last 12 months injured.

He probably still has good potential, question is now if he can fullfil that being sidelined for so long. He looked interesting when coming on for the first team but didn't make the same impression Doak did, not close.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #371 on: January 10, 2023, 10:53:53 am »
I’m not sure if he will make it here.  We’ve seen nowhere near enough ….yet…

But as for our best talent since Owen?

I think one Steven Gerrard would disagree….

As would one Raheem Sterling

Young players mostly don’t kick on.  It’s dangerous to have too high expectations from them.

I realise you’re miserable having just got up to go to school whereas I’m on holiday in Tenerife.

I was at the game when SG made his debut, and well remember the buzz around him. But the buzz about Owen was greater.

My opinion - that he excites me the most since Owen - is what I posted; your opinion differs. I didn’t mention talent, and I’m fully aware of the numbers of exciting youngsters who fail to develop. Nonetheless I stand by my opinion.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline ThePoolMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #372 on: January 10, 2023, 11:01:15 am »

Yes he was well thought of but his take off was stopped short by his injury. Hehas not yet shown what Doak has shown at the level that Doak has shown it at.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #373 on: January 10, 2023, 11:02:46 am »
Yeah I agree on Gordon, and I'm really worried for him now, being out for so long.  Doak looks a more explosive player, more suitable to play in a Klopp attack.  Gordon is quick, but not as dynamic.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #374 on: January 10, 2023, 11:09:27 am »
Yeah I agree on Gordon, and I'm really worried for him now, being out for so long.  Doak looks a more explosive player, more suitable to play in a Klopp attack.  Gordon is quick, but not as dynamic.

You put your finger on it - Doak is explosive in the way Owen was explosive. His pace is like a rocket and he makes decisions the same speed.  That kind ofquality is rare and we have too little of it, with only Nunez and Luiz having it in our team.

Offline smurfinaus

• Legacy Fan
  • Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to <insert location> we go :P
« Reply #375 on: January 10, 2023, 01:39:16 pm »
Would Doak or Gordon suit our game style better?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #376 on: January 10, 2023, 01:41:30 pm »
Would Doak or Gordon suit our game style better?

Think Doak suits a Klopp team more in general, but he plays a lot like a traditional winger (driving to the byline before whipping the ball across the box), whereas Gordon is more similar to Salah (cuts in on his left foot more).

Either could work but Doak is more of a livewire and chaotic.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #377 on: January 10, 2023, 02:07:59 pm »
I realise you’re miserable having just got up to go to school whereas I’m on holiday in Tenerife.

I was at the game when SG made his debut, and well remember the buzz around him. But the buzz about Owen was greater.

My opinion - that he excites me the most since Owen - is what I posted; your opinion differs. I didn’t mention talent, and I’m fully aware of the numbers of exciting youngsters who fail to develop. Nonetheless I stand by my opinion.
Ok, fair enough … fuck off with being on holiday though!

I just worry about expectations that are too high myself .. Players don’t always develop

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: January 10, 2023, 11:04:01 pm »
Ok, fair enough … fuck off with being on holiday though!

I just worry about expectations that are too high myself .. Players don’t always develop

You are right to be. I said it before that he looks great but to get a spot he needs to put up numbers or we will find someone who does. That may seem harsh since he’s so young but we can’t afford to not get goals and assist from his position. Sterling is the most similar for us but he was coming into a weaker attacking group at the time. Think he basically took all of Joe Cole’s minutes at the start who you will all remember was abysmal.

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: January 10, 2023, 11:30:56 pm »
Ben gave me and a Scottish work colleague a moment of clarity of fuck we’re old today
The Scottish lad is die hard Greenock Morton and he was excited about us having the son of a ‘Ton legend  Martin Doak play for us. Turned out for them 300+ times in the 80s and my mate remembers him well
Except..turns out Martin isn’t Ben’s dad..he’s his Grandad😬
+6 ticket exchange

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #380 on: January 11, 2023, 12:28:59 am »
Ben gave me and a Scottish work colleague a moment of clarity of fuck we’re old today
The Scottish lad is die hard Greenock Morton and he was excited about us having the son of a ‘Ton legend  Martin Doak play for us. Turned out for them 300+ times in the 80s and my mate remembers him well
Except..turns out Martin isn’t Ben’s dad..he’s his Grandad😬

hahaha, that is a classic!
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #381 on: January 14, 2023, 09:13:54 pm »
Shouldn't be anywhere near the first team at this point. I feel for the lad.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline UNO

• Kopite
« Reply #382 on: January 15, 2023, 01:39:36 am »
Don’t understand why put the youngster on the left instead of his favorite position on the right. Particularly when Salah has been so useless the whole match and loses the ball almost every time when in possession.

Offline StL-Dono

• Kopite
  • thank you Ian Rush
« Reply #383 on: January 15, 2023, 02:11:46 am »

Think you have to explain this in a little more detail for it to make any sense.

If you mean that in a normal year, with our full contingent of attacking players healthy, "he shouldn't be anywhere near the first team", then I'd agree. 

But.  Not a normal year.  And, he's not a normal player.  He's not out of his element and he's only going to improve going against the best.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #384 on: January 15, 2023, 02:31:35 am »
I think he probably means that it’s not the right time to be blooding a just 17 year old, with our current problems. At least that’s how I see it. It feels desperate and nobody should be pinning their hopes (not saying you are) on a 17 yr old having a big role in turning us around no matter how talented he appears.

Think there’s a much better chance of a young player coming in and having a positive impact on the team and them on his development when we’re playing better.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 02:33:28 am by duvva 💅 »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: January 15, 2023, 02:40:43 am »
I think he probably means that it’s not the right time to be blooding a just 17 year old, with our current problems. At least that’s how I see it. It feels desperate and nobody should be pinning their hopes (not saying you are) on a 17 yr old having a big role in turning us around no matter how talented he appears.

Think there’s a much better chance of a young player coming in and having a positive impact on the team and them on his development when we’re playing better.

Sadly like the clown Manc are doing with Garnacho

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #386 on: January 15, 2023, 03:13:42 am »

Yep. He’s clearly not a PL player at this point and it’s unfortunate he’s having to be brought into the side.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #387 on: January 15, 2023, 05:56:17 am »
Yep. He’s clearly not a PL player at this point and it’s unfortunate he’s having to be brought into the side.

The timing is wrong, nothing to do with his ability or potential. It shows the current state of the squad
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #388 on: January 15, 2023, 02:53:04 pm »
The bit he has that a lot of young players haven't is he looks like he knows he belongs there.

That gives me confidence in him going forward. Very early for him though.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline L.Suarez

• Kopite
  • When there snow hope, support.
« Reply #389 on: January 17, 2023, 09:48:48 pm »
The strength he shows while dribbling is really impressive for his age, should be a star.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #390 on: January 17, 2023, 09:53:05 pm »
Shame he didn’t get a little longer. Very early days but he definitely has something about him.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #391 on: January 17, 2023, 09:54:46 pm »
Probably his most impressive cameo yet for me. I remember his debut where every time he got the ball it was head down and run at the defender but today he was making intelligent decisions and relieving a bit of pressure when we were struggling to keep possession late on. Looking forward to seeing much more from him.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #392 on: January 17, 2023, 09:56:28 pm »
He's gonna be a star, good reading of situations tonight and his running and fight suit our team

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #393 on: January 17, 2023, 09:57:19 pm »
Probably his most impressive cameo yet for me. I remember his debut where every time he got the ball it was head down and run at the defender but today he was making intelligent decisions and relieving a bit of pressure when we were struggling to keep possession late on. Looking forward to seeing much more from him.
That, the fact that he has no issues standing up to the physicality of senior players at this level, and the audacity to take anyone one-on-one is something special.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #394 on: January 17, 2023, 09:57:23 pm »
Looks abit good. Hopefully starts a game soon.

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #395 on: January 17, 2023, 09:59:09 pm »
He's gonna be a star, good reading of situations tonight and his running and fight suit our team
Yep, never looks like he's going to be dispossessed, very much like Salah when he's on it.

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #396 on: January 17, 2023, 10:01:36 pm »
We need to start using him as a regular sub. He'll be unplayable against tired legs with his pace and aggressiveness. One trick we have missed is how we use our subs. Other teams basically run some players into the ground in the first 60 because they can easily switch a whole midfield now with subs to spare. We need to start doing that. Plan for players to play their socks off in the first 60 and switch them out. There's no space to conserve energy like we used to in the past to save legs.

Offline ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
« Reply #397 on: January 17, 2023, 10:02:12 pm »
This Ned doesn’t give a fuck does he, lovely to see.
97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #398 on: January 17, 2023, 10:03:06 pm »
Yep, never looks like he's going to be dispossessed, very much like Salah when he's on it.

Yeah he's got that Salah/Suarez kind of knack of maintaining control at high speed while cruising through challenges. His low centre of gravity and quick feet make him very hard to dispossess

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #399 on: January 17, 2023, 10:03:49 pm »

He is strong and quick we all know that but I agree his fight is a huge asset.

That might sound daft but he reminds me in a way of Rooney at same age no fucks given and very very hard to knock off the ball