Author Topic: Welcome to LFC Ben Doak  (Read 98937 times)

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
Re: Welcome to LFC Ben Doak
« Reply #320 on: December 26, 2022, 10:30:56 pm »

Someone needs to photoshop laser beams shooting out of his eyes to the ball
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #321 on: December 27, 2022, 02:15:36 am »
Watching Doak made me think of Owen, so I looked for Owen videos to refresh my memory of how good he was. In particular, I found this, where I learned some things that I didn't know before.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9m4g9grshmo&amp;t=139s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9m4g9grshmo&amp;t=139s</a>

2:20 in. There was substantial interest from Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal, but we trumped them because our youth development officer, a man called Steve Hemingway, promised him more personal coaching. That man deserves wider recognition. Is he related to Ernest?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #322 on: December 27, 2022, 04:15:01 am »
Watching Doak made me think of Owen, so I looked for Owen videos to refresh my memory of how good he was. In particular, I found this, where I learned some things that I didn't know before.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9m4g9grshmo&amp;t=139s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9m4g9grshmo&amp;t=139s</a>

2:20 in. There was substantial interest from Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal, but we trumped them because our youth development officer, a man called Steve Hemingway, promised him more personal coaching. That man deserves wider recognition. Is he related to Ernest?

Stevie Hemingway on wing, we dreams and songs to sing  ;)

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #323 on: December 27, 2022, 08:43:50 am »
Not denying what I wrote, I just take issue with your selective quoting (deliberately ignoring the other points made) to try to make some sensationalist 'gotcha' point.

Dunno what you're trying to point score on me for either? You even said we're in agreement that the Ronaldo comparison is off

No, you made one deliberate point that he would struggle because of his height and I pulled you up about it. That's all I did, and then you said I'd miss interpreted you when clearly I hadn't. I think I'm entitled to respond about that.

Anyway, issue resolved. Not having a go at you. Peace and love and all that.

Re Ben, I don't know how he'll get on or even what position he'll play in. Apart from his height most of his physical attributes are not defined at 17. Klopp has changed the position of both Harvey and Bajcetic since they moved to the first team and maybe the same will happen with Ben.
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline Aldo1988

• Legacy Fan
  • Superduperfan & Whopper. Ooh sexist.
« Reply #324 on: December 27, 2022, 11:23:25 am »
Bump, for all those crying out for a new attacking addition, we couldn't go far wrong than give this kid a chance.

Bumpty, bump, bump.
"Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?"

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #325 on: December 27, 2022, 01:25:08 pm »
Bumpty, bump, bump.

How about both - in the right time frame. Liverpool have moved quickly to buy a new forward anyway, so looks like the boss thinks one is needed  :P

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: January 7, 2023, 09:56:31 pm »
Has anyone called him "SuperDoaker" yet???
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: January 7, 2023, 09:57:40 pm »
Another hugely impressive Cameo.

Offline Ma Vie en Rouge

• J'aime voir...!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: January 7, 2023, 09:59:24 pm »
Yeah, this kid's got it. Not even remotely phased by senior football, aggressive, confident, quick. I hope he gets plenty more chances this season.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #329 on: January 7, 2023, 10:01:44 pm »
Showed a lot of hunger and willingness to get involved

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #330 on: January 7, 2023, 10:03:04 pm »
No, you made one deliberate point that he would struggle because of his height and I pulled you up about it. That's all I did, and then you said I'd miss interpreted you when clearly I hadn't. I think I'm entitled to respond about that.

Anyway, issue resolved. Not having a go at you. Peace and love and all that.

Re Ben, I don't know how he'll get on or even what position he'll play in. Apart from his height most of his physical attributes are not defined at 17. Klopp has changed the position of both Harvey and Bajcetic since they moved to the first team and maybe the same will happen with Ben.

He is a winger. Height isnt important for him as long as he has pace and strength, which, by the looks of it he has enough already. Looks like a great young player to bring on 10-15 minutes towards the end of the game to cause more chaos.

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #331 on: January 7, 2023, 10:04:47 pm »
One of the positives from tonight. Looking forward to seeing him get more game time.

Offline RedBootsTommySmith

• Kopite
« Reply #332 on: January 7, 2023, 10:04:57 pm »
Confident lad, isn't he?
Victorious and glorious....

Offline y2w902

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: January 7, 2023, 10:06:46 pm »
Yeah, this kid's got it. Not even remotely phased by senior football, aggressive, confident, quick. I hope he gets plenty more chances this season.

Yep, physically looks ready too, quick and deceptively strong.

Offline Red-Dread

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #334 on: January 7, 2023, 10:17:45 pm »
So excited about this kid's potential I've got my first ever forum avatar - enough said!

first ever avatar..... ben(d)oak

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #335 on: January 7, 2023, 10:20:22 pm »
One of the positives from tonight. Looking forward to seeing him get more game time.

One of them… he was the only positive!
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: January 7, 2023, 10:22:24 pm »
Looks strong on the ball, decent play as well

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #337 on: January 7, 2023, 10:23:35 pm »

True  ;D although there were no injuries so I’ll take that as another!

Online Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: January 7, 2023, 10:28:43 pm »
This lad's going to be great.Tenacious,aggressive,direct.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: January 7, 2023, 10:30:19 pm »
This lad's going to be great.Tenacious,aggressive,direct.

I wouldn't mind a few midfielders like that.

Offline Jean Girard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #340 on: January 7, 2023, 10:38:49 pm »
Would like to see him for 30-45 minutes. He really looks like the best prospect we've had in years and years.  These little cameos are great, but want to see more. You can see the trust the older players have straight away. Looking for him etc. 
And now, the matador shall dance with the blind shoemaker!

Offline Aldo1988

• Legacy Fan
  • Superduperfan & Whopper. Ooh sexist.
« Reply #341 on: January 7, 2023, 10:41:36 pm »
Hate to say I told you so but, who am I kidding, I love to say I told you so ;)
"Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?"

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: January 7, 2023, 10:43:07 pm »

Him and Nunez.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: January 7, 2023, 10:44:06 pm »
He seems to have an effortless technical simplicity with the ball at his feet. We don't necessarily like comparisons on this site but he's better than other young squad players :)

Doak has got something special in him I think.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: January 7, 2023, 11:03:11 pm »
He seems to have an effortless technical simplicity with the ball at his feet. We don't necessarily like comparisons on this site but he's better than other young squad players :)

Doak has got something special in him I think.

He has speed, John. Unfortunately, our other young players do not. The game is becoming faster than ever and speed is critical, and we don't seem to have enough.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #345 on: January 7, 2023, 11:03:11 pm »
A bit of Damien Duff about him.
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #346 on: January 7, 2023, 11:16:08 pm »
When Naby came on i thought "Wow its like hes the only footballer on the pitch boy weve been missing that" and then Doak came on and did the same thing, better. One of his first possession he was faced up edge of the box and he threw two stepovers at the guy, didn't work recycle but still.

Hes got startling "it" about him.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline StL-Dono

• Kopite
  • thank you Ian Rush
« Reply #347 on: January 8, 2023, 01:09:19 am »
He does seem to be brimming with confidence.  I have loved his cameos so far.  He's fearless. 

He sort of gave away one bad pass and then immediately tracked someone down and played a part in us winning possession again.  Love the determination and bravado. 

I'm thinking even with return of our regular forwards, he's going to need regular 15 or 20 minutes per match. 

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: January 8, 2023, 01:16:54 am »
He has speed, John. Unfortunately, our other young players do not. The game is becoming faster than ever and speed is critical, and we don't seem to have enough.

His speed is extraordinary.  I know it's a running joke (unintended pun) on Rawk about speed , pace quickness etc.  But it's his speed over short spaces that stands out. I've no idea if he has pace over long distances which is less important.  He has a great first touch too.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #349 on: January 8, 2023, 01:18:48 am »
Probably would look to loan him out next season. He seems completely one footed and we just gave Salah the largest contract in team history so the thought that he's going to get significant minutes over Salah is fanciful and not realistic. Fun to see him out there but kind of a fools gold at this point as it really doesn't mean anything.

Offline UNO

• Kopite
« Reply #350 on: January 8, 2023, 01:20:25 am »
I love to watch him over Mo now. Mo has been doing the same movements every time and lost the ball most of the time. Ben is very aggressive and plays with a young heart which the team seriously lacking at the moment.

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #351 on: January 8, 2023, 01:24:56 am »
Hopefully he gets more time , esp if Mo is not performing bring him on earlier.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: January 8, 2023, 02:27:12 am »
My favorite kind of player. Love his style of play. If he can build on his natural skillset and add goals and assists as he matures, he will be an incredible player. Excited to watch him progress. Sterling probably the last player in a similar mould who was this exciting at this age?

As I said to my German housemate today, he is the most Scottish looking lad ever, but least Scottish like in his style of play. I used Robben as a comparison since he follows the Bundesliga. If he progresses as expected, he is going to bring a lot of thrill to Anfield over the years.
« Last Edit: January 8, 2023, 02:31:33 am by deano2727 »

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: January 8, 2023, 09:17:11 am »
He has that 'I'm not fucked who you are I'm here to do my thing' and also that 'don't fuck with me glare' 😂

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #354 on: January 8, 2023, 09:30:22 am »
Probably would look to loan him out next season. He seems completely one footed and we just gave Salah the largest contract in team history so the thought that he's going to get significant minutes over Salah is fanciful and not realistic. Fun to see him out there but kind of a fools gold at this point as it really doesn't mean anything.

He's not one footed at all, he favours his right but uses his left all the time.  Check out videos of him in the youth team, he can go either way when squaring up defenders.

I'd say he's as comfortable as Lallana is with both feet.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline T.Mills

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: January 8, 2023, 10:10:37 am »

He’s 17, nobody is expecting him to get minutes over Salah.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: January 8, 2023, 10:14:38 am »
Don't need to loan him out at all at some lower level where he gets shit kicked out of him. He can stay and learn off senior players. He shouldn't be starting ahead of Mo anyway ;D

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #357 on: January 8, 2023, 10:16:20 am »

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Tell me you've never watched him play without telling me you've never watched him play. His number one asset is that he can go inside and outside. He nearly always starts his dribbles with his left foot so you don't know which way he'll go off the stepover.

I thought you said players who go out on loan never make it at their parent clubs??
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: January 8, 2023, 11:37:25 am »
He looks rapid. There was a moment where he was cutting infield and it looked like he had knocked the ball about 3 yards too far away from him. But then he got to it with ease before the Wolves defender could even get close.

Offline elfin priest

• Kemlynite
« Reply #359 on: January 8, 2023, 12:18:07 pm »
I saw his two appearances for Celtic a year ago and none of this at LFC has been a surprise - that's not me claiming to be some kind of oracle, but anyone seeing him then would get a pretty good idea of how far he can go. Properly outrageous talent.