Author Topic: Things in art and media that you just don't really get  (Read 2138 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Things in art and media that you just don't really get
« on: January 14, 2022, 05:41:02 pm »
Starter for five

1. The Scream films. Just doesn't compute. Not sure what they are. They aren't horror. They aren't entertaining. From what I can tell they are just a piss take (But not one done with a decent story like, for instance, cabin in the woods). If there was just 'Scream' then I wouldn't be that bothered. But there's loads of them and now they're doing a reboot. Don't get why people would watch it

2. Poetry. Just something that doesn't do anything for me. I remember when as a kid we were reading "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" in school and I thought "Wow. This is amazing. I can't wait to see the world of poetry" - I bought a book on it and they were all shite. I'm sure that people must get a lot out of them, but I love reading and it seems that they usually are a convoluted attempt to jam a narrative into few words, whereas a perfectly decent book would do the job admirably and with far more depth

3. Anyway but Essex/Newcastle or whatever they are called. Don't get it. Just a bunch of knobhead kids acting like spoilt knobhead kids. Just don't get it

4. I'm a celebrity. Like 3 really - what is the point? Why do people watch it? What's it for. Doesn't compute.

5. Poems and songs in books. Fantasy books are particularly guilty of this. The action is proceeding nicely and things are afoot. Then some character dramatically sings a song or recites a poem that breaks the spell and makes you think "Oh. Fuck off"

Any other things out there where you think WTF?!
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
Re: Things in art and media that you just don't really get
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 05:48:52 pm »
Modern and postmodern art in general. Self-indulgent and transactional pap.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 05:52:39 pm »

Online redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 05:59:28 pm »
Social Media;

This forum is the closest I get to it. Might be because I’m a miserable fucker but I really don’t give a shit what other people are doing on their days off or what they had for dinner and therefore I can safely assume they don’t care about what I’m up to either. If anyone is interested in what I’m up to they can message me or give me a ring (I’m 35 not 70 before anyone asks), otherwise I’ll assume you’re not and I can’t blame you.

Just seems like one big dick waving competition

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 06:00:13 pm »
Hip Hop
reality TV, particularly Love Island
Coooking competitions
you can listen to a singer, watch a dancer, you cant taste the food, whats the point
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 06:08:36 pm »
Love Island. Clearly made for horny teenagers and "influencers"

Offline Mr Grieves

• at losing other mr, ending years of Broken Wings encores.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 06:29:08 pm »

Is that you Grifter?
Put the ball in the goddamn basket chief

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 08:24:18 pm »
Musicals like West Side Story or Grease. Tough guys breaking out into song wtf?

Real Housewives - who gives a shit?

Jurgen YNWA

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 08:32:10 pm »
Soap operas, people watch them knowing what is going to happen because the story lines are published beforehand.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 08:36:06 pm »
Soap operas, people watch them knowing what is going to happen because the story lines are published beforehand.

I don't think people watch soaps for their plots. It's more about the quality actors on show, the in depth characterisation, direction, set design etc.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2022, 09:04:24 pm »
Musicals like West Side Story or Grease. Tough guys breaking out into song wtf?

Real Housewives - who gives a shit?

Real Housewives should be shot as a musical...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2022, 09:22:46 pm »
Andy why don’t you post all the things you don’t get in the media?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2022, 09:29:34 pm »
Threads by Andy

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2022, 09:38:26 pm »
Andy why don’t you post all the things you don’t get in the media?

The Internet might explode.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2022, 10:07:41 pm »
I don't think people watch soaps for their plots. It's more about the quality actors on show, the in depth characterisation, direction, set design etc.

And the occasional late night episode where everyone starts swearing for the first time ever.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2022, 10:38:34 pm »
Starter for five

1. The Scream films. Just doesn't compute. Not sure what they are. They aren't horror. They aren't entertaining. From what I can tell they are just a piss take (But not one done with a decent story like, for instance, cabin in the woods). If there was just 'Scream' then I wouldn't be that bothered. But there's loads of them and now they're doing a reboot. Don't get why people would watch it

2. Poetry. Just something that doesn't do anything for me. I remember when as a kid we were reading "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" in school and I thought "Wow. This is amazing. I can't wait to see the world of poetry" - I bought a book on it and they were all shite. I'm sure that people must get a lot out of them, but I love reading and it seems that they usually are a convoluted attempt to jam a narrative into few words, whereas a perfectly decent book would do the job admirably and with far more depth

3. Anyway but Essex/Newcastle or whatever they are called. Don't get it. Just a bunch of knobhead kids acting like spoilt knobhead kids. Just don't get it

4. I'm a celebrity. Like 3 really - what is the point? Why do people watch it? What's it for. Doesn't compute.

5. Poems and songs in books. Fantasy books are particularly guilty of this. The action is proceeding nicely and things are afoot. Then some character dramatically sings a song or recites a poem that breaks the spell and makes you think "Oh. Fuck off"

Any other things out there where you think WTF?!

I have read quite a few fantasy books and I can't remember any having characters that break into song or recites a poem. Which ones are you referring too?
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2022, 10:49:33 pm »
I have read quite a few fantasy books and I can't remember any having characters that break into song or recites a poem. Which ones are you referring too?

The Gruffalo’s Child.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2022, 10:52:24 pm »

I'd have to look it up for specific examples, but seem to remember seeing poems/songs in these;

Lord of the Rings (And associated books) ( http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Poems_in_The_Lord_of_the_Rings )
Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (Giants, Bloodguard, Lords and various others)
Robert Jordon (Been a while, but pretty sure there were a few poems in there about mythology)
Dragon Lance Books (Several prophecies)
Magician Series (Feist)
Spellsinger Series
Dragons of Pern series

Can't swear to it, but pretty sure there have been several poems in Michael Moorcock's Multiverse

I read quite a few 'out there' fantasy books from the 60s, 70s, 80s and quite of few of them aren't too timid to chuck the odd poem in (Usually when they are describing a culture or race or sometimes mythology)

Quite hard to search online for them as when you mention poems from fantasy books, there are thousands of pages of poems about fantasy books.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 10:55:57 pm by Andy @ Allerton! »

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2022, 11:18:43 pm »
It was pretty annoying when Mr Bumble broke into song in Oliver
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2022, 11:29:45 pm »
And the occasional late night episode where everyone starts swearing for the first time ever.

That too.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2022, 11:41:06 pm »
Why stop at 5?

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2022, 11:42:47 pm »

you talking 50, 100, or 150 years ago in this?

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2022, 12:17:02 am »
It was pretty annoying when Mr Bumble broke into song in Oliver

“Please Sir. Can I have some more?”

“Hello Hello! How are you? Hello Hello! It’s good to be you”

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2022, 12:23:21 am »
“Please Sir. Can I have some more?”

“Hello Hello! How are you? Hello Hello! It’s good to be you”

Legend. So many debates with the kids about me wanting to push him off a cliff and hearing their arguments against. Pathetic.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2022, 12:28:05 am »
https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=347031.0

Have a look in there... pretty much covers everything by the end.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2022, 12:48:44 am »
you talking 50, 100, or 150 years ago in this?

Post-WW2 I think. I can see modernism being a response to WW1 but judging on its outcomes I can only see post-WW2 modernism and certainly all of postmodernism as a cash grab.

To quote the philosopher Moammar Morris Szyslak: "It's Pomo!....Postmodern....Yeah alright, weird for the sake of weird."
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 12:50:37 am by bradders1011 »
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2022, 01:20:06 am »
Legend. So many debates with the kids about me wanting to push him off a cliff and hearing their arguments against. Pathetic.

A van advertising a Mr Tumble tribute act once drove past us on the motorway. I often think about that guy's life. Not even the genuine prick people want to push off a cliff.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2022, 01:24:58 am »
I like modernist and postmodern art a lot. Realism essentially reached a creative dead end and the next logical step was to use abstract expressionism to communicate feelings and concepts that were subjective but weren't linear. That goes into places like fauvism or cubism, and then total abstraction feels kind of inevitable. I know this'll sound like pretentious bollocks but a basic grasp of art history really helps because you can see the progression step by step, and it all feels a lot more natural and meaningful. That and the fact it helps to see a lot of it in a gallery - one of my favourite artists is Lucio Fontana, whose work looks ridiculous if you see it online but is mesmerising in person because you can see the texture.

I actually think hip hop is quite similar. Once you really get into the mechanics of sampling and how it can be used creatively it really draws you into the structure of each track, and when you get a run down of a top lyricist's work and the different allusions they slip in there it gives you a real appreciation for high quality work.

As for me, there's plenty of stuff I don't like or even think is loathsome, but I can understand the appeal. I've never been able to understand why people like the Stereophonics. They don't rock, their lyrics are dull, the vocals are awful and their music is dirgelike. Why them and not, say, China Drum or Idlewild?

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2022, 04:23:08 pm »

I reckon my wife still watches just out of habit these days, the shows are rubbish.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2022, 09:44:07 pm »
Post-WW2 I think. I can see modernism being a response to WW1 but judging on its outcomes I can only see post-WW2 modernism and certainly all of postmodernism as a cash grab.

To quote the philosopher Moammar Morris Szyslak: "It's Pomo!....Postmodern....Yeah alright, weird for the sake of weird."

That's a hell of a large scythe you're taking to something that is just a reflection of the times we live in - or lived in at one point - which is all art is. It's true that we can all understand a nude 1700 AD painting a little easier than say, just a black square*, but not totally understanding things is one of the gates that might of been left open for us thru modernism more so than any other period - and personally, I take great delight in it.

I understand your point totally, as there's a hell of a lot of crud about, but there's also some fantastic work that goes on. There was a lot of crap painting pre 1900 too. Saying all art since 1970 (which is pretty much where the idea of postmodernism began) is crass in the extreme. You include music? Because they live side by side.

*Although, we should thank John Berger's Ways of Seeing on its 50th birthday last year for much of our understanding.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2022, 09:57:53 pm »
Vast majority of Reality TV, like 99.99% of it.
Y.N.W.A.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2022, 10:00:12 pm »
I'd have to look it up for specific examples, but seem to remember seeing poems/songs in these;

Lord of the Rings (And associated books) ( http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Poems_in_The_Lord_of_the_Rings )
Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (Giants, Bloodguard, Lords and various others)
Robert Jordon (Been a while, but pretty sure there were a few poems in there about mythology)
Dragon Lance Books (Several prophecies)
Magician Series (Feist)
Spellsinger Series
Dragons of Pern series

Can't swear to it, but pretty sure there have been several poems in Michael Moorcock's Multiverse

I read quite a few 'out there' fantasy books from the 60s, 70s, 80s and quite of few of them aren't too timid to chuck the odd poem in (Usually when they are describing a culture or race or sometimes mythology)

Quite hard to search online for them as when you mention poems from fantasy books, there are thousands of pages of poems about fantasy books.

Lord of the Rings, that's tosh anyway it's just about a load of goblins isn't it?  ;)

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2022, 10:08:32 pm »
I don't think you should be allowed to vote in elections if you enjoy superhero films.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2022, 10:13:40 pm »
I don't think you should be allowed to vote in elections if you enjoy superhero films.

Have you not liked any superhero film ever?

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2022, 10:28:10 pm »

Agreed ;D

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2022, 10:48:36 pm »
Lord of the Rings, that's tosh anyway it's just about a load of goblins isn't it?  ;)

So.

Just to be clear. you are saying that Lord of the Rings isn't a book in the Fantasy genre?

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2022, 11:01:01 pm »
So.

Just to be clear. you are saying that Lord of the Rings isn't a book in the Fantasy genre?

I'm not disputing that, but I never got past the endless front notes to read any of the poetry you are complaining about.

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2022, 08:39:42 am »
Ant & Dec
Celebrity versions of shit quiz shows ( or ‘celebrity’ anything come to think of it)
Sue Perkins
Morning/breakfast ‘news’ programmes where they sit on sofas with coffee cups they don’t drink from
Flag waving at ‘The Proms’
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2022, 08:57:51 am »
Have you not liked any superhero film ever?
Hes got Supermans badge as his username