Poll

Warbling shite in songs

I prefer the song to be about the song with the singer giving it uniquness
I prefer the song to be about how well the singer can sing and a billion notes to every line

Author Topic: I think I'm old :) These new warbly singers do my head in  (Read 3930 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
I think I'm old :) These new warbly singers do my head in
« on: December 23, 2021, 10:32:36 am »
I hear older singers and their songs are simple, wonderful and lovely to listen to.

Well thought out lyrics and sung in an understated and brilliant way.

Then you hear most of the modern singers (post 2000 probably) - seemingly not capable of singing a bar without using every note in the available octave.

I get that people like this, but it just annoys the shite out of me. Just sing the fucking song well. I'm not interested in how brilliant or talented you are unless it directly is part of the song.

Listen to Cher or Shirley Bassey or Tom Jones and they are capable of amazing stuff in their range, but only use it when they are underpointing the song or belting out a chorus or grandstanding ending.

They don't warble the fuck out of Every fucking single line.

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
Re: I think I'm old :) These new warbly singers do my head in
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2021, 10:44:13 am »
Specific examples that have irked you, Andy?
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2021, 10:45:33 am »
I hear older singers and their songs are simple, wonderful and lovely to listen to.

Then you hear most of the modern singers (post 2000 probably) - seemingly not capable of singing a bar without using every note in the available octave.

I get that people like this, but it just annoys the shite out of me. Just sing the fucking song well. I'm not interested in how brilliant or talented you are unless it directly is part of the song.

Listen to Cher or Shirley Bassey or Tom Jones and they are capable of amazing stuff in their range, but only use it when they are underpointing the song or belting out a chorus or grandstanding ending.

I’m a miserable old git … and couldn’t agree more. They seem to want to practise a sliding breathy drawn out scale on every single note. It’s not great singing in my book

But apart from that …. Happy Christmas  :)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2021, 10:53:47 am »
Specific examples that have irked you, Andy?

I'm listening to a Christmas Album that I bought a few years back.

It's got a mixture of old time (50s, 60s) and then example of stuff from the 70s, 80s and 90s.

It's all quite reserved or mad as a bag of frogs, but it's all about the songs.

Then you've got the stuff from 00s onwards and the song to me seems to very much take a back seat - it then seems to be about a singer singing a line that would normally require 2 or maybe three notes and suddenly demands 50 notes in a very clever arrangement.

Specific songs?

I'll have a look.. Not going through all of them but..

Leona Lewis - One More Sleep (2013) - how many fucking notes do you seriously need. Fucks sake.

Destiny’s Child - 8 days of Christmas - just fuck off

Nsync - Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays - fuck you all you shower of fucking shite

Train - Shake up Christmas. Fuck you

Girls Aloud - not tonight Santa. Get fucked.

Justin Bieber - Mistletoe - Fucking fuck

And for balance, good Christmas songs past 2000 with a good song and a good performance - no shite notes for the sake of it. All about the joy of the song..

Kelly CLarkson - Underneath the Tree (2013)

Jessie J - Man with the Bag (2015)

« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 11:56:33 am by Gerroffofit yer pesky kids and take your puppies with you! »

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2021, 11:11:37 am »
Added a Poll as well!

Merruh Chrusstmis!

Offline Red Ol

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2021, 11:22:43 am »
Think Whitney Houston has a lot to answer for in this respect ….
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2021, 11:57:37 am »

Yeah think you're right.

It's like the song used to always be about the song and now it's about the singer.

After the Cranberries did Zombie, a load of female singers started doing that dickhead trailing screech at the end of lines as well

Online Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2021, 12:04:43 pm »
No - fuck YOU! :D

Listened to it again to make sure

Fuck me. That's terrible.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2021, 12:22:55 pm »
Smokey Robinson - Christmas Lullaby

Kinell what a load of shite

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2021, 12:35:31 pm »
That's always been a pet hate of mine too, along with bleedin' autotune. When I listen to a perfect voice like Sandy Denny, singing just as many notes as the song needs it is so beautiful and I despair at some of the shite on the radio these days. (I'm starting to sound like my dad now)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2021, 12:41:12 pm »
That's always been a pet hate of mine too, along with bleedin' autotune. When I listen to a perfect voice like Sandy Denny, singing just as many notes as the song needs it is so beautiful and I despair at some of the shite on the radio these days. (I'm starting to sound like my dad now)

My favourite female singer is Julie London.

Such a lovely voice and her singing is so wonderful and understated.

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2021, 12:51:25 pm »
On the possibly tangential subject of autotune:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/NNXg5dIVC1M" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/NNXg5dIVC1M</a>

This is the video that informs my understanding of why modern vocalists sound so inferior to those of yesteryear. I'd struggled to work out why I can't get into most acts past ~2000, and even find virtually all modern albums by existing bands with great 60s-90s content sub-par to unlistenable. It's a disease on the music industry.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Online smutchin

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2021, 01:01:33 pm »

Her and Mariah Carey.

Also Liz Fraser. I mean, I love Cocteau Twins but This Mortal Coil’s version of Song To The Siren does my head in. People bang on about it being “haunting” or “mesmerising” but to me it just sounds like a mournful dirge, and I really really really wish she’d just stop doing all that wobbly vocal shit.

Offline Red Ol

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2021, 01:39:33 pm »
Her and Mariah Carey.

Also Liz Fraser. I mean, I love Cocteau Twins but This Mortal Coil’s version of Song To The Siren does my head in. People bang on about it being “haunting” or “mesmerising” but to me it just sounds like a mournful dirge, and I really really really wish she’d just stop doing all that wobbly vocal shit.

Thought she was great in Carry on Cabbie  :D

Online smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2021, 01:41:52 pm »

Thought she was great in Carry on Cabbie  :D

I'm too young to get that reference.  ;)

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2021, 01:43:15 pm »
A lot of these warblers stem from X-Factor, young lad comes out, unshaven, guitar and a sob story about his dead nan, then proceeds to shout his song as if he is in pain with his eyes shut and the audience laps it up.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2021, 03:52:03 pm »
There hasn't been a genuinely historically good album since 2010.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2021, 03:54:38 pm »

Which was the last one in 2010?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2021, 04:08:40 pm »
The Suburbs by Arcade Fire.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2021, 04:30:11 pm »
Victor@Allerton.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2021, 04:45:51 pm »

Horseshit.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2021, 04:59:21 pm »
Victor@Allerton.

I don't believeee it!

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2021, 05:33:25 pm »

*Shakes Head* 
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2021, 05:36:08 pm »

Mariah Carey is capable of shrieking and warbling AT THE SAME TIME!

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2021, 05:47:29 pm »
Mariah Carey is capable of shrieking and warbling AT THE SAME TIME!
She's horrific.

I've loathed those warbling 'singers' for years. They hit 25 notes when one will do just fine.

No way do I put the other-worldly Liz Fraser in that catagory though.  :missus  Smutchin is off my Christmas card list now.  ;)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline SvenJohansen

• Fast single-handed action expert.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2021, 06:20:01 pm »
You wouldn't hear Bob Dylan or Robert Plant warbling, thank feck. I blame pop music for how shite music has gotten. Once that crap started invading radios I knew we were effed. The very name makes me angry. "Pop" Fuck off pop! 
I feel a little strange inside
A little bit of Jekyll, a little Mr. Hyde

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2021, 06:25:42 pm »

Destiny’s Child - 8 days of Christmas - just fuck off

I genuinely believe this is the worst song ever recorded. And that's saying something.

Online smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2021, 06:26:49 pm »
*Shakes Head*

I knew that wouldn’t be a popular opinion!  ;D

It’s just that one song though - like I said, I love the Cocteau Twins.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2021, 06:28:36 pm »
I knew that wouldn’t be a popular opinion!  ;D

It’s just that one song though - like I said, I love the Cocteau Twins.
;D

*Puts Smutch back on Christmas card list.*  ;)

Online smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2021, 06:35:33 pm »

Funny you should mention Cher when autotune has come into the conversation - Believe by Cher is a great example of what it is possible to achieve when autotune is in the right hands. Bona fide pop classic.

Others have mentioned Sandy Denny and Julie London - both wonderful examples of pure voices who don’t need to resort to theatricals to capture your attention. I would add Joni Mitchell as another example. I heard River on the radio earlier and had to just stop what I was doing for a few minutes - it’s a song that never gets old.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2021, 07:42:41 pm »
You wouldn't hear Bob Dylan or Robert Plant warbling, thank feck. I blame pop music for how shite music has gotten. Once that crap started invading radios I knew we were effed. The very name makes me angry. "Pop" Fuck off pop!

‘When Pop started invading our radios’.

Do you pre date Radio Luxembourg then? ;D

Online S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2021, 08:39:20 pm »
I can’t stand this and from what I can tell, it came from X-Factor, Britain’s Got Talent and other such trash. Those shows don’t deal in subtlety. Everything needs to be a ballad, every verse needs to be full of faked emotion.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2021, 08:57:50 pm »

Fucking hell, the cherry on top of a truly shite thread :lmao

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2021, 09:16:01 pm »
What do you think of this? Specifically the part from around 3:15 onwards. Sounds like autotune gone mad, extending a note digitally for half a minute. Except it's not autotune, the singer actually does hold it for that long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY35g26h4dc
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2021, 09:23:04 pm »

I can't get on board with any of the modern popular beat combos.

Offline SvenJohansen

• Fast single-handed action expert.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2021, 11:16:24 pm »
‘When Pop started invading our radios’.

Do you pre date Radio Luxembourg then? ;D

Radio Luxembourg was cool though, they played indie stuff and songs you wouldn't hear on mainstream channels or shows.
I feel a little strange inside
A little bit of Jekyll, a little Mr. Hyde

Online sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2021, 07:31:50 am »

Arctic Monkeys - AM was 2013 and I’ll fight anyone who tries to argue that isn’t a historically good album
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2021, 09:53:50 am »
I agree. Sam Smith is absolutely shit.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2021, 02:16:26 pm »

This.

There’s plenty of good music about
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "