Author Topic: Thiago Morton is a player. I’ve got his poster on my wall  (Read 58115 times)

Offline majestic_11

• Remembers Houllier's Champions League winning campaign fondly
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK OG
Re: Thiago Morton is a player. I’ve got his poster on my wall
« Reply #400 on: May 23, 2024, 04:10:08 pm »
What a talent this boy is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy_VUgUEs-w
His technique is reminiscent of a Spanish number 6, he's comfortable with both feet, and he's resistant to pressing. I really hope he gets a chance in preseason. However, I am concerned about the physical stature of our midfield, and he might be sacrificed because of it.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #401 on: May 23, 2024, 05:49:40 pm »
Reminds me a bit of Michael Carrick. Not sure he has that type of potential but he could become a similar type of player under the right manager.

Offline terry_macss_perm

• looking to be flogged
  • Kopite
« Reply #402 on: May 23, 2024, 09:49:46 pm »
His technique is reminiscent of a Spanish number 6, he's comfortable with both feet, and he's resistant to pressing. I really hope he gets a chance in preseason. However, I am concerned about the physical stature of our midfield, and he might be sacrificed because of it.

Some of those touches and passes are pure filth.

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #403 on: May 23, 2024, 10:02:48 pm »

He's got a great left peg for a right-footed player!
It was also noticeable that his team-mates make runs when he's on the ball, so it looks like they trust him to find them.
I think he'd have to alter his tackling in the PL, though. Against players who know better how to protect the ball he'd get a few cards.

Offline smurfinaus

• Legacy Fan
  • Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to <insert location> we go :P
« Reply #404 on: May 24, 2024, 06:13:38 am »
Would you personally keep him and see what he has for the first team?. Sure hope Slot does let everyone have a chance and see how he goes.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #405 on: May 24, 2024, 07:52:46 am »
Would you personally keep him and see what he has for the first team?. Sure hope Slot does let everyone have a chance and see how he goes.

I think we should see if we can get him a loan either in the premier league or, if he’s willing to go abroad, a club abroad like a Bundesliga club or maybe even an Eredivisie side playing in Europe or something similar.

Think we’d be naive to sell him before he’s at least had a year at the top level. He’s seemingly improved loads from his two spells in the championship, I’m just not sure there’s going to be a premier league club willing to give him minutes as a loan when they could develop one of their own or sign one from abroad. Think it’s more important that he continues playing regularly than plays a bit part role here behind 6-7 midfielders. Maybe Bajcetic could go out on loan and he could stay given he’s now got around 100 games under his belt.

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #406 on: May 24, 2024, 09:07:35 am »
I think we should see if we can get him a loan either in the premier league or, if he’s willing to go abroad, a club abroad like a Bundesliga club or maybe even an Eredivisie side playing in Europe or something similar.

Think we’d be naive to sell him before he’s at least had a year at the top level. He’s seemingly improved loads from his two spells in the championship, I’m just not sure there’s going to be a premier league club willing to give him minutes as a loan when they could develop one of their own or sign one from abroad. Think it’s more important that he continues playing regularly than plays a bit part role here behind 6-7 midfielders. Maybe Bajcetic could go out on loan and he could stay given he’s now got around 100 games under his belt.

Loan to a Bundesliga club where he can play at a higher level and gain international exposure.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline majestic_11

• Remembers Houllier's Champions League winning campaign fondly
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK OG
« Reply #407 on: May 24, 2024, 02:55:12 pm »
While Morton's adaptation to the Championship's physical style is encouraging, a concern emerges regarding midfield balance. Teams known for a direct approach, like Everton, might exploit a lineup featuring Morton, Bajcetic, Elliott, and Carvalho, despite their undeniable technical talent. I hope i'm wrong because he looks a player.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: May 24, 2024, 03:49:21 pm »
While Morton's adaptation to the Championship's physical style is encouraging, a concern emerges regarding midfield balance. Teams known for a direct approach, like Everton, might exploit a lineup featuring Morton, Bajcetic, Elliott, and Carvalho, despite their undeniable technical talent. I hope i'm wrong because he looks a player.

I think me being in a Liverpool XI is more likely than those 4 starting a competitive game together

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #409 on: May 24, 2024, 08:30:36 pm »
People often mention Van den Berg and Carvalho as returning players, but Morton will also be one of the players Slot will have a good look at during the pre season. Still only 21, and has grown up to 6'1", so he could have a future at LFC as a squad player ...

Offline smurfinaus

• Legacy Fan
  • Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to <insert location> we go :P
« Reply #410 on: May 25, 2024, 04:00:02 am »
People often mention Van den Berg and Carvalho as returning players, but Morton will also be one of the players Slot will have a good look at during the pre season. Still only 21, and has grown up to 6'1", so he could have a future at LFC as a squad player ...

The only question over him was is physicality. Has he toughened up/bulked up a bit during his time at Hull?

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #411 on: May 25, 2024, 06:58:57 am »
The only question over him was is physicality. Has he toughened up/bulked up a bit during his time at Hull?

Wouldn't say he's necessary bulked up but he definitely isn't afraid of a challenge and he has that knack of being quicker in his head than most of the players on the field (a lot like Bajcetic). Think he  would do well to add a little muscle as he is quite slight, he is pretty press resistant from what i've seen though and a very very well rounded player. One of those i'd love most to see make it but it's so hard to call

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #412 on: May 25, 2024, 09:02:16 am »
Saw quite a bit of him at Blackburn. Issue there is he was clearly in Wharton's shadow. Wharton is a top tier talent and was a Blackburn fan as well. The fans didn't really take to Morton but he did okay, it was a learning curve for first team football. I think he tired as the season went on as well, The Championship is relentless with the amount of games, when player are used to the youth leagues.

He fitted in a lot more at Hull and the fans took to him straight away. He's been solid there all season. Natural progression for him next season is the Premier League. 

For us, he can play in either of the two deep midfield roles. He'll get his chance in pre-season and then it's up to Slot to assess.

We've also got the likes of Bejcetic, Clark and Mcconnell in midfield. 1 or 2 of them we should be looking at loans for and keep the others as part of the squad.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
    • X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd
« Reply #413 on: May 25, 2024, 05:54:25 pm »
Has three years on his contract. Will be given a look this summer. My guess is he will get a Premier League loan potentially to Leicester given their troubles, and we’ll get a look at him before making a decision to sell or keep next summer.

Blessed currently with our youngsters. Best drop we’ve had for a while. Clark looks the most promising of the academy midfielders to me, could see him being an option in the squad next year.
"Believe you are the best, then make sure that you are." - Shankly

X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd - https://x.com/TheLiverNerd

Online Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: May 25, 2024, 09:04:39 pm »

He’s a good player but not quite the level we need, decent enough on the ball but not a Thiago,  intelligent but not a genius, will have a very good career but wouldn’t be more than a squad filler for us

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: May 25, 2024, 09:25:58 pm »
He’s a good player but not quite the level we need, decent enough on the ball but not a Thiago,  intelligent but not a genius, will have a very good career but wouldn’t be more than a squad filler for us
I don't see that as a problem - do you?

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #416 on: May 25, 2024, 09:34:06 pm »
Decent enough on the ball but not a Thiago, isn’t that like 99.9% of world football?
AHA!

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #417 on: May 25, 2024, 09:34:52 pm »

Elite clubs need elite players.

Morton might make an incredible rise to stardom. The reality is that it is unlikely. You can only have so many squad fillers.

The likelihood is that he will have a solid career at lower Premier League-Upper Championship level. We should make a few quid on him.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: May 26, 2024, 07:03:40 am »

We already have enough midfielders, we don't actually need squad fillers:
Endo,
Bacjetic
Macallister
Jones
Szoboslai
Gravenberch
Elliot

Some of the above are, as of now, squad fillers. What we need is elite talent.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #419 on: May 26, 2024, 10:10:05 am »
Endo,
Bacjetic
Macallister
Jones
Szoboslai
Gravenberch
Elliot

We've known that for years though. Spent years chasing Bellingham, Tchouameni, Caicedo last summer. That's a separate issue - the club need to be getting some of these deals over the line.

You can always use a durable squad player of sound quality. Mac and Endo were ran into the ground at times last season because there was nobody else available. Endo himself being signed as the durable squad player last year and we'd have been more snookered had we not got him in. Not to say we should sign more, but we can assess Morton and Bajcetic in pre-season, for example, and loan one and keep one.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 10:14:53 am by Fromola »

Online Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #420 on: May 26, 2024, 12:51:49 pm »

if we can get £25-30M I’d rather sell now and reinvest, McConnell will be a player who can compete for a first team role in a few years

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: May 26, 2024, 12:56:27 pm »
if you want to see a team comprised solely of "elite players" I don't think LFC is the place for you.  we've never taken that approach and it is the opposite of the club's /FSG's philosophy or strategy.

and it's just fine with me.

think of Klopp's reign - how many "elite" players did he regularly have in his starting 11?  maybe 3 or 4, depending on how you define "elite".

like Shanks said - piano players and piano carriers.

Online Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: May 26, 2024, 01:06:59 pm »
if you want to see a team comprised solely of "elite players" I don't think LFC is the place for you.  we've never taken that approach and it is the opposite of the club's /FSG's philosophy or strategy.

think of Klopp's reign - how many "elite" players did he regularly have in his starting 11?  maybe 3 or 4, depending on how you define "elite".

the problem is we only have 3 elite players and they’re all over 30

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: May 26, 2024, 01:09:50 pm »

the problem is we only have 3 elite players and they’re all over 30
no argument from me, I'm talking about the notion that we should only sign elite-level players as a squad strategy.

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #424 on: May 26, 2024, 02:23:41 pm »
You'd think we'd have learned about sweeping statements stating opinion as fact about players from 'Matip is FINISHED AT THE TOP LEVEL' and 'Van Dijk is past it' or 'Bradley can't be backup RB' being shrieked last summer.

I've no fucking idea if he's good enough or not, nor has anyone else, because he's played about ten games.  Pipe down and let's see how he does in preseason/what Slot has planned for him maybe?

Intrigued by his possible fit in a double pivot if indeed we do play with one.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 02:46:16 pm by JP! »
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: May 26, 2024, 05:12:01 pm »
no argument from me, I'm talking about the notion that we should only sign elite-level players as a squad strategy.

Some odd posts in this thread from you SamLad. I've not seen anyone argue that we should only sign elite level players as a squad strategy. The question is, do we need more squad level players in midfield and if we don't, what are the implications for Morton, assuming that's what he ends up as (and hopefully he'll be more than that).

At our best we basically had a whole team of elite level players. 2 world class fullbacks, the best CB in the world, the best GK in the world. One of the best DMs in the world. The best false 9 in the world, 2 of the best wide forwards in the world. We didn't sign all of them when they were elite and so if you were arguing about a transfer strategy I'd be right there with you. But the above post is about a 'team' not a transfer strategy and as an assessment of Klopp's best teams, this woefully underrates several of our players. You don't get high 90 point totals and to multiple CL finals without being full of elite level players.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 05:14:34 pm by Knight »

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: May 26, 2024, 05:19:48 pm »
Some odd posts in this thread from you SamLad. I've not seen anyone argue that we should only sign elite level players as a squad strategy. The question is, do we need more squad level players in midfield and if we don't, what are the implications for Morton, assuming that's what he ends up as (and hopefully he'll be more than that).

At our best we basically had a whole team of elite level players. 2 world class fullbacks, the best CB in the world, the best GK in the world. One of the best DMs in the world. The best false 9 in the world, 2 of the best wide forwards in the world. We didn't sign all of them when they were elite and so if you were arguing about a transfer strategy I'd be right there with you. But the above post is about a 'team' not a transfer strategy and as an assessment of Klopp's best teams, this woefully underrates several of our players. You don't get high 90 point totals and to multiple CL finals without being full of elite level players.
maybe I misunderstood your post ...
Endo,
Bacjetic
Macallister
Jones
Szoboslai
Gravenberch
Elliot

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: May 26, 2024, 05:25:23 pm »
maybe I misunderstood your post ...

Just a little! Firstly it wasn't even about signing players, it was about Morton. And secondly, I didn't say, 'we don't need squad players and shouldn't sign them, ever'. I said, 'we have enough squad players in midfield'.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: May 26, 2024, 05:29:23 pm »
Just a little! Firstly it wasn't even about signing players, it was about Morton. And secondly, I didn't say, 'we don't need squad players and shouldn't sign them, ever'. I said, 'we have enough squad players in midfield'.

We do and we don't. We were again too often down to the bare bones in midfield. Mac was ran into the ground,  even Endo was overplayed to the point of burnout.

Bajcetic and Thiago injured all season, Jones either injured or trying to get his fitness back for much of the season.

What we need is an elite 6 but in the absence of one we need another solid option.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: May 26, 2024, 05:31:22 pm »
well to be honest you did describe our current midfielders as "squad fillers", and said we need elite ...... which to me seemed like you were calling for them to be replaced.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #430 on: May 26, 2024, 06:07:16 pm »

I would say Ali, Trent, VVD, Mane, Firmino and Salah were elite in 19-20 when we romped to the title.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #431 on: May 26, 2024, 06:56:53 pm »
well to be honest you did describe our current midfielders as "squad fillers", and said we need elite ...... which to me seemed like you were calling for them to be replaced.

Yes because it was the language used in the post you were responding to? You said that you didn’t see having Morton as a ‘squad filler’ (you didn’t use this language but it was clearly the context given the post you were responding to) was a problem.

Online Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #432 on: May 26, 2024, 07:16:24 pm »
I would say Ali, Trent, VVD, Mane, Firmino and Salah were elite in 19-20 when we romped to the title.

Interesting. Samlad’s point about successful squads/clubs needing key contributors parhaps best described as ‘unsung heroes’ fits in with what many supporters like to think of as the ‘Liverpool way’. In truth, the history of success in football at the highest level shows us that this isn’t just true of Liverpool.

Of course, a lack of sufficient numbers of ‘elite’ players will hinder any teams hoping for glory - the Stevie G/Torres team just missed out for that reason perhaps.  I’m sure your post in no way implied criticism of Robbo, Gini, Hendo or Fab; perhaps those 4 represent players of a standard that would have helped the 2009 or 2013 teams over the line?
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #433 on: May 26, 2024, 07:26:16 pm »
£12-15m

That’s the post.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #434 on: May 26, 2024, 09:01:47 pm »
Interesting. Samlad’s point about successful squads/clubs needing key contributors parhaps best described as ‘unsung heroes’ fits in with what many supporters like to think of as the ‘Liverpool way’. In truth, the history of success in football at the highest level shows us that this isn’t just true of Liverpool.

Of course, a lack of sufficient numbers of ‘elite’ players will hinder any teams hoping for glory - the Stevie G/Torres team just missed out for that reason perhaps.  I’m sure your post in no way implied criticism of Robbo, Gini, Hendo or Fab; perhaps those 4 represent players of a standard that would have helped the 2009 or 2013 teams over the line?

I think when it took low to mid 80's points to win the League then you could have 3 or 4 unsung heroes in your team. Those days are gone though. For me you need at the minimum 4 or 5 elite players and then your first 11 needs the rest of the players to be pushing elite level. The likes of Robbo, Gini, Hendo or Fabinho.

When you are competing with City who are pretty much capable of continually pushing out 90 point seasons then you cant really have any weaknesses. Morton could push on and go up several levels and become elite or pushing elite. However, the likelihood is that he won't.

You look at City and you see how hard it is to go from young player to elite player. Foden has managed it but Palmer couldn't do it at City. You need to be absolutely exceptional to make that step. 
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #435 on: May 26, 2024, 11:17:23 pm »

The history of success in football shows us that the teams with the best players win the most trophies, thats why Madrid and Ac Milan have the most CLs, and Brazil has the most world cups.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #436 on: May 27, 2024, 06:56:32 am »
I like Morton as a player but wonder if Bobby Clark may be the reason he gets sold. However with Endo’s age there could be a role for him still
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #437 on: May 27, 2024, 07:17:25 am »

How many DMs were better than Fabinho at his peak? Very, very few. The majority of that team was full of players at their absolute peak playing at a higher level than almost every other player in their position in the world. I’m sure the system and Klopp helped (perfect synergy across tactics, man management and player ability) but it really wasn’t a team of ‘piano carriers with 3/4 piano players’.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #438 on: May 27, 2024, 10:40:47 am »
How many DMs were better than Fabinho at his peak? Very, very few. The majority of that team was full of players at their absolute peak playing at a higher level than almost every other player in their position in the world. I’m sure the system and Klopp helped (perfect synergy across tactics, man management and player ability) but it really wasn’t a team of ‘piano carriers with 3/4 piano players’.

Yes as I said even the ones that may not of been truly elite were borderline. That is what we need to get back to. We have real depth currently but not many truly elite players at the right age. Kids who are going to breakthrough need to be outstanding talents like Bradley and Quansah. Morton isn't at that level and would need a remarkable transformation to do so.

For me he is a talented player but currently looking like he would struggle to be a part of a top 4 team.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: May 27, 2024, 12:00:40 pm »

Robbo and Fabinho as well. You couldnt make a top 11 argument without those players being considered.