Author Topic: Caoimhín Kelleher  (Read 171997 times)

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Caoimhín Kelleher
« Reply #1960 on: April 12, 2024, 07:02:17 am »
Although he made a mistake for their goal, he was immense.

However bad it was tonight, it could have been a lot worse had it not been for him.

I don’t think he was immense, instructions or not the continual hoofing it, including when we are 2-0 down and chasing the game, was the wrong choice every single time. We just gave them the ball back.

Offline Lisan Al Gaib

• Anny Roader
  • Lead them to Paradise
« Reply #1961 on: April 12, 2024, 10:24:20 am »
Do you think the result would have been different with Ali in goal? OK, maybe he could have done better for the first goal, who knows. But he couldn't have done anything to prevent the second, and Kelleher actually saved the shot from the third, and if Szoboszlai wasn't just strolling back, he might have blocked the rebound shot. And Caoimh actually saved two goals (I think Ali would have saved those too).

We need the midfielders without tied left-to-right shoes, and we need front three that can hit a cow's ass with a banjo. And the defense to get to it's old.

Of course he could have done better for the first goal it went underneath his arm! The second goal he's not at fault for but the third goal he doesn't hold on to and pushes it directly into the path of the Atalanta player. We had an opportunity directly after it where their goalkeeper pushed it hard and wide away from Salah and that's what Kelleher should have done, its what Alisson would have done but then again he probably would have held onto the ball because he's world class.

If Ali is in goal last night we probably only lose that game 1-0. Yeah Kelleher made a few saves that probably stopped it from being worse but like you said Ali would have likely saved those opportunities too.

He's been fantastic and we wouldn't be where we are right now if it wasn't for his performance so far this season but Alisson Becker is the best goalkeeper in the world and if he's fit for Sunday and stays fit last night should be Kelleher's last game this season.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 10:28:49 am by Lisan Al Gaib »

Offline Lisan Al Gaib

• Anny Roader
  • Lead them to Paradise
« Reply #1962 on: April 12, 2024, 10:26:19 am »
I don’t think he was immense, instructions or not the continual hoofing it, including when we are 2-0 down and chasing the game, was the wrong choice every single time. We just gave them the ball back.

People were hugely frustrated about how slow he was on the ball and distributing it, then how wasteful he was with it when he went long. Pretty much every single one went nowhere near any of our players. Immense is very strong and he was just like the rest of the team in how poorly they all performed.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1963 on: April 12, 2024, 10:27:08 am »
Of course he could have done better for the first goal it went underneath his arm! The second goal he's not at fault for but the third goal he doesn't hold on to and pushes it directly into the path of the Atalanta player. We had an opportunity directly after it where their goalkeeper pushed it hard and wide away from Salah and that's what Kelleher should have done, its what Alisson would have done but then again he probably would have held onto the ball because he's world class.

If Ali is in goal last night we probably only lose that game 1-0. Yeah Kelleher made a few saves that probably stopped it from being worse but like you said Ali would have likely saved those opportunities too.

He's been fantastic and we wouldn't be where we are right now if it wasn't for his performance so far this season but Alisson Becker is the best goalkeeper in the world and if he's fit for Sunday and stays fit last should be Kelleher's last game this season.

100% this. With Alisson in goal last night, this tie would be going to the second leg.

Kelleher is exactly what he is - a decent number two. But there's a bigger gap between Alisson and him than there is between any other two players in our team who play the same position.

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1964 on: May 29, 2024, 11:41:10 am »
Looks like Kelleher's probably going to be angling for a move this summer.
“Playing against Man City at home (the 1-1 draw at Anfield in March) was another big one for me with the rivalry between us. You’re not going to play in a more high-profile game than that in world football and I thought I did really well. You think, ‘Yeah, I’m capable of doing this every week at a high level’. I got the taste for it and I want to do it all the time. My main ambition is to be a No 1.”

The 25-year-old is realistic about his chances of achieving that status at Anfield given he’s competing with Alisson. The Brazil international is only 31 and has three years remaining on his contract.

“It would be great if that happened at Liverpool, but I’m not silly. I know that Ali has been the best goalkeeper in the world for years.

“I’ve had such an amazing time at Liverpool. It’s been a crazy journey for me and one that I’ve absolutely loved. I love the club, I love the fans and I have a great relationship with the players and the staff. Whether it’s here at Liverpool or somewhere else, I do feel the next step for me is to be a No 1.”

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1965 on: May 29, 2024, 11:56:33 am »
Sell with a buyback clause. He'd benefit from playing regularly for a few seasons anyway so is a win win for us beyond losing a solid No2.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #1966 on: May 29, 2024, 01:36:20 pm »
100% this. With Alisson in goal last night, this tie would be going to the second leg.

Kelleher is exactly what he is - a decent number two. But there's a bigger gap between Alisson and him than there is between any other two players in our team who play the same position.

I'd be quite happy with him any time in our first team, he's proved that every time he's been asked to step up, 3 finals at wembley and 3 clean sheets in 6 hours of football is not bad. He's won more penalty shoot outs in Liverpool's history apparently, saving 6 penalties in 4 shoot outs (and scoring). 26 games (and 12 for Ireland) since he was 15 in 2015, he's basically been here for the whole Klopp era and Klopp has always trusted him.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline SlotRightIn

• Main Stander
« Reply #1967 on: May 29, 2024, 02:01:06 pm »
Makes sense he’d want to leave.

He’s a good number 2 but he’s obviously never going to displace Alisson. He’s the same age now that Ali was when he joined us. Alisson is 31 now but you’d expect him to continue being elite (top 5 in the world) for another 3 years minimum so it’s understandable Kelleher wants to go get games.

He showed this year he could be a regular for a Premier League team so i’d expect him to go somewhere and be a good goalkeeper and have himself a nice Premier League career. I know Notts Forest were chasing him but I think personally he should aim a little higher than a relegation level team. I think he could be a starter closer to the mid table sides but obviously it depends on who has an opening at the position but someone like Brighton, Bournemouth, or Brentford.

We’ll definitely need to properly replace him though. We can’t be doing what we did last time where Mignolet level and we just signed Adrian because he was there for free late in the window. The replacement needs to be Kelleher’s level. You look at City with Ortega, Arsenal with Ramsdale, ourselves with Kelleher. It’s important having a back up keeper who himself is a starting premier league level keeper. I understand it’s difficult to have someone agree to sit on the bench permanently but it really shouldn’t be that difficult to find someone to agree to it for a year or two. The #2 keeper more than any should be a position you’re open to be a churn every couple seasons.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1968 on: May 29, 2024, 02:02:42 pm »
Makes sense he’d want to leave.

He’s a good number 2 but he’s obviously never going to displace Alisson. He’s the same age now that Ali was when he joined us. Alisson is 31 now but you’d expect him to continue being elite (top 5 in the world) for another 3 years minimum so it’s understandable Kelleher wants to go get games.

He showed this year he could be a regular for a Premier League team so i’d expect him to go somewhere and be a good goalkeeper and have himself a nice Premier League career. I know Notts Forest were chasing him but I think personally he should aim a little higher than a relegation level team. I think he could be a starter closer to the mid table sides but obviously it depends on who has an opening at the position but someone like Brighton, Bournemouth, or Brentford.

We’ll definitely need to properly replace him though. We can’t be doing what we did last time where Mignolet level and we just signed Adrian because he was there for free late in the window. The replacement needs to be Kelleher’s level. You look at City with Ortega, Arsenal with Ramsdale, ourselves with Kelleher. It’s important having a back up keeper who himself is a starting premier league level keeper. I understand it’s difficult to have someone agree to sit on the bench permanently but it really shouldn’t be that difficult to find someone to agree to it for a year or two. The #2 keeper more than any should be a position you’re open to be a churn every couple seasons.

I’ve seen dubious links to Trafford at Burnley as the back up.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1969 on: May 29, 2024, 02:05:04 pm »

Might as well save the money and give Jay Spearing the chance. They look the same height in front of goal.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1970 on: May 29, 2024, 02:06:55 pm »
Might as well save the money and give Jay Spearing the chance. They look the same height in front of goal.

His Wiki page says he’s 6’6”. That’s inflation for you.

Offline SlotRightIn

• Main Stander
« Reply #1971 on: May 29, 2024, 03:04:44 pm »

Depends on the fee with that one really doesn’t it. They bought him for £19m so can’t imagine they’d sell for less after a year.

Lads only 21 and has went out to the lower divisions and done very well, is the starting England u21 I believe. Question I guess is would he want to go back to being a bench player at that age.

I think it’s easier to get keepers maybe who are 26/27 to come be a back up for a year or two because they’ll generally know their level by that point and have played a lot of games and realise they are a back up keeper level if they want to be at a big club but Trafford at only 21 probably fancies himself becoming England’s next #1 which I imagine is why he chose to leave City.

If we didn’t have the literal best keeper alive he’d maybe fancy it but he’d know he’s coming here for 1/2 years to sit on the bench then leave. Think it’s tough to get a 21 year old keeper to do that who’s had a sniff of being starter and has ambition. Whereas someone 26/27 who knows they aren’t ever going to reach the elite as a starter is more open to the experience for a short period as it’ll be their only chance to be at an elite club and around a title contending team.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1972 on: May 31, 2024, 07:45:29 pm »
Sell with a buyback clause. He'd benefit from playing regularly for a few seasons anyway so is a win win for us beyond losing a solid No2.

Deffo this. Can see why he wants to move, he's good enough to start for a top half premier league team, he's been excellent standing in for Ali and when you see the shite that are No1 keepers at Utd, Everton, Forest etc, he knows he can at least get a club where he will play every week - he's won the lot with us anyway, so a few seasons until Ali leaves won't hurt.

He's also better than what Arsenal have got, don't want him going there to improve them.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #1973 on: June 1, 2024, 07:41:47 am »
Hope a good club comes in for him and we get a deal worth £30 million at some point for us.

Great lad and deserves to start every week.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1974 on: June 1, 2024, 07:42:36 am »
Hope a good club comes in for him and we get a deal worth £30 million at some point for us.

Great lad and deserves to start every week.

Onana went for £54 million, he's worth at least the same
Jurgen YNWA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1975 on: June 1, 2024, 08:37:10 am »
Onana went for £54 million, he's worth at least the same

When converted into real world money that United £54m equates to £31.52m. :D

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1976 on: June 1, 2024, 10:12:46 am »
When converted into real world money that United £54m equates to £31.52m. :D

He's not worth thripence hapenny as my ma would say ;D
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Lisan Al Gaib

• Anny Roader
  • Lead them to Paradise
« Reply #1977 on: June 1, 2024, 05:06:45 pm »
Deffo this. Can see why he wants to move, he's good enough to start for a top half premier league team, he's been excellent standing in for Ali and when you see the shite that are No1 keepers at Utd, Everton, Forest etc, he knows he can at least get a club where he will play every week - he's won the lot with us anyway, so a few seasons until Ali leaves won't hurt.

He's also better than what Arsenal have got, don't want him going there to improve them.

This is rubbish. He's a mid table PL player at best and I don't see him getting much better than he is now. Raya is far, far better than Kelleher and if we had him in goal in the first leg against Atalanta we'd not have been going into the second leg 3-0 down.

Kelleher is good but he's not a great goalkeeper and would struggle to start for any of the top 4 teams and especially teams who want to win league titles and European cups.

Offline Oscarmac

• Kenny is King
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1978 on: June 1, 2024, 08:17:05 pm »
This is rubbish. He's a mid table PL player at best and I don't see him getting much better than he is now. Raya is far, far better than Kelleher and if we had him in goal in the first leg against Atalanta we'd not have been going into the second leg 3-0 down.

Kelleher is good but he's not a great goalkeeper and would struggle to start for any of the top 4 teams and especially teams who want to win league titles and European cups.

You are wrong. He has a lot of potential to improve, and would be a shrewd buy for any top half Prem team. Never going to be Ali level, but can he reach Top 4 level? Absolutely.
They are only great because we are on our knees......let us arise!

Offline Lisan Al Gaib

• Anny Roader
  • Lead them to Paradise
« Reply #1979 on: June 1, 2024, 09:52:07 pm »
You are wrong. He has a lot of potential to improve, and would be a shrewd buy for any top half Prem team. Never going to be Ali level, but can he reach Top 4 level? Absolutely.

Mate I'm the Lisan Al Gaib, I can see into the future!

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #1980 on: June 2, 2024, 01:29:52 am »

This is rubbish Raya is in no way significantly better than Kelleher. In my view Kelleher is the better keeper of the two. The only keeper significantly better is Alisson.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp