Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - WELCOME, 'A PLAYER'!!  (Read 2509519 times)

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: THE LIVERPOOL SUMMER 2020 TRANSFER THREAD - NOW WITH ADDED ALCANTARA
« Reply #14880 on: September 18, 2020, 04:39:20 pm »
ki jana to wolves for 10m. seems like they got a bargain if he develops to be a proper rb/cb/dm. but he is all potential for now.

love links to jota and looks like ki jana is the sweetener.  Didn't know jota is only 23. surely the data crunchers like what they see and wolves are a pretty good team as well.

seem like jota goal rate kind of drops last season from 1 goal in 4 games compared to his earlier season which he almost registers a goal every 3 games.

and suddenly edwards comes alive. I do think we all trust him enough by now that whatever he touches turn to gold. I still do think we need a back up central defender. Koumetio is a bit youngish and unless we can convert one of the DM like Fab or grujic to be played there long term, it may be a bit risky and thin if the injuries start to pile up in the central defence department.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #14881 on: September 18, 2020, 04:40:09 pm »
Jota in a way is the lowest of low hanging fruit in that he stands out just like Mane, Salah and Firmino did in a very simple way.  xG+xA>G+A while playing as a non-striker but putting up striker type stats which is anything ~.50xG+xA and above ie. they underperform their stats.  This was true for Mane, Salah and Firmino and it's true for Jota.  If you have any concerns about signing him the reasoning behind it should at least give Jota the benefit of the doubt.

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14882 on: September 18, 2020, 04:41:09 pm »
.38xG + .15 xA = .53 per 90  ... or a goal contribution every other game last season playing for a low scoring/conservative team

He's 23 so just coming into his peak years

Incredibly quick with the ball, two footed, intelligent, can play on either wing, works hard without the ball

Your challenge would be to find someone whose at this level and profile who'll be happy not to start every game ...

Oh and Klopp and Mickey Edwards want him so you could just take it on blind faith that he'll be boss at this point

I was already sold on him before, but now I'm doubly sold!

Some of the dodgy ITKs on twitter (who have called Thiago for a while) are saying Jota may sign tomorrow

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #14883 on: September 18, 2020, 04:42:22 pm »
Think it's done, or close to it. Poor Sarr, getting the Jamal Lewis treatment. Would have been interested in seeing him under Klopp, but Jota feels much more of a sure thing - even though I don't think he's someone any of us were suggesting we go for! Which is a bit weird really, considering he's a starting wide forward for one of the best clubs in the country  :D
If / when this is confirmed it will be a further lesson to Sellers that lfc pays a fair price but won't be rinsed

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #14884 on: September 18, 2020, 04:42:26 pm »
My impression of Jota (without watching him extensively or knowing his stats) has always been that he's a solid but unspectacular player. A decent squad player, but not good enough to get regular games for a club of our stature.

Someone give me the sales pitch for why he's better than that.
He isn't better than that.  The question is whether we can coach him to reach a higher level.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline d_sookoo21

• Main Stander
« Reply #14885 on: September 18, 2020, 04:43:27 pm »
edwards is back from holiday then
thiago
jota
get us a cb as well whilst you’re out there  ;)

Offline Songs to Sing

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Hold your head up high He made the people happy
« Reply #14886 on: September 18, 2020, 04:43:50 pm »
Hoever is a great talent, but unfortunately for him we have TAA and Williams ahead of him in the pecking order at the right fullback position, and he (still) doesn't have the size to be considered for the 4th choice central defender position. I hope that we will include a buy-back clause or at least a right of first refusal in the deal.

I’ve always thought he looks better than Williams, but maybe with Trent the club wanted to keep the player who would be ok to be backup, and hoever is a bit too good for that.
-Rafael Benitez 03/06/2010: "Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone." No, thank you, you wondeful, humble, gracious man. You fought for us for years and won't be forgotten.-
The 5th Benitle

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14887 on: September 18, 2020, 04:44:03 pm »
Hoever off to Wolves for 10m.

Really?????

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14888 on: September 18, 2020, 04:44:09 pm »
I would be made up with Jota. Guess we will see more rotation this season given the quality and depth of the squad. Might even win the FA cup.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #14889 on: September 18, 2020, 04:44:49 pm »
I was already sold on him before, but now I'm doubly sold!

Some of the dodgy ITKs on twitter (who have called Thiago for a while) are saying Jota may sign tomorrow
Thiago and Jota signing between a day!?

Offline Red Cactii

• Legacy Fan
  • An absolute p***k
« Reply #14890 on: September 18, 2020, 04:45:11 pm »
Rory Smith
@RorySmith
·
9m
These kind of signings are really hard. Liverpool need a player who can operate across three (or four) positions, who isn’t too young or too old, who can plug and play but wouldn’t kick off at being rotated. They’re Goldilocks deals. Jota fits the bill well, to my mind.

Rory Smith
@RorySmith
You don’t need me to tell you, given that @_pauljoyce and @DominicKing_DM are running it, but think a deal for Jota is pretty close.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14891 on: September 18, 2020, 04:45:13 pm »
edwards is back from holiday then
thiago
jota
get us a cb as well whilst you’re out there  ;)

I think we probably add Jota and that's it, but equally wouldn't surprise me if we went for Godfrey at Norwich. He's been linked and we put out the line that the cost is too much... come the end of the window though, they might relent - and they know we'll be willing to walk away as they saw first hand with Lewis.

Online Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #14892 on: September 18, 2020, 04:45:22 pm »

It is pretty simple these days, isn't it? When the local journos here say something you know it is close to done.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14893 on: September 18, 2020, 04:49:23 pm »
Exactly, it's what we used to do back in the 1970s and 1980s, bring in a player each season just to keep it all ticking over nicely.  The continuity of the squad remains, and we have some additional options too. Perfect
Exactly this, players like David Robinson, Ronny Rosenthal, Avi Cohen, good players, that were happy to not be an automatic selection, but good enough to come in and do a job in the event of injury, suspension or rotation, it's a pipedream to have two world class players in every position, despite how much the FSG out and FT twitter virgins bitch about it, Jota would fit this mould.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #14894 on: September 18, 2020, 04:49:53 pm »
It is pretty simple these days, isn't it? When the local journos here say something you know it is close to done.

Which is how it should be. The club has learned a hell of a lot over the past few years

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #14895 on: September 18, 2020, 04:50:05 pm »
My impression of Jota (without watching him extensively or knowing his stats) has always been that he's a solid but unspectacular player. A decent squad player, but not good enough to get regular games for a club of our stature.

Someone give me the sales pitch for why he's better than that.

He isn't better than that.  The question is whether we can coach him to reach a higher level.

I don't think he's "solid but unspectacular" at all - quite the opposite. On his day he is spectacular: searing pace, great movement, excellent technique, gnarly work-rate. He just doesn't have those days enough.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14896 on: September 18, 2020, 04:51:45 pm »

I don't think that Jota has to be coached much. He is already a very good system player, with a very good work rate. One of the reasons why Jimenez and Traore are always looking so dangerous is the work Jota is doing on the left. I think that he will fit well in Klopp's system.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14897 on: September 18, 2020, 04:52:35 pm »
Jota is fantastic.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14898 on: September 18, 2020, 04:52:46 pm »
Jota is also genuinely a two footed player. Adam Lallana replacement.  :D

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #14899 on: September 18, 2020, 04:53:01 pm »
So how many more situations like this do we reckon it’ll be before certain people start actually trusting the people who run the club? A week ago it was widespread whinging about not signing Thiago and selling Brewster without buying anyone with the money. Now we’ve just signed one of the best midfielders in world football and are apparently close to signing Diogo Jota

Maybe Edwards needs his own doubters to believers slogan
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline jonkrux

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14900 on: September 18, 2020, 04:53:32 pm »
Yeah Jota is class. Far better fit than Sarr imo

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #14901 on: September 18, 2020, 04:54:31 pm »
Not only will he become better with the training he'll get here but...

He'll likely be better just from being in a team with better players, both because they'll be on the same page but also because they'll take some of the defenders attention from him.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #14902 on: September 18, 2020, 04:55:23 pm »
I don't think he's "solid but unspectacular" at all - quite the opposite. On his day he is spectacular: searing pace, great movement, excellent technique, gnarly work-rate. He just doesn't have those days enough.

I'm in agreement here, he's like Sadio at Southampton.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14903 on: September 18, 2020, 04:57:05 pm »
Not only will he become better with the training he'll get here but...

He'll likely be better just from being in a team with better players, both because they'll be on the same page but also because they'll take some of the defenders attention from him.

Its not just his talent but his skill set. He is a brilliant dribbler, draws in fouls, is more of nuisance in tight spaces than someone who relies on space behind a defence to operate and struck up an excellent partnership with Jiminez.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14904 on: September 18, 2020, 04:58:15 pm »
Three consecutive seasons of 10 plus goals in all comps. That’s encouraging.

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #14905 on: September 18, 2020, 04:58:37 pm »
I'm bored.

It's been at least an hour since we signed a player.

Announce Jota!!
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #14906 on: September 18, 2020, 04:59:06 pm »
I'm bored.

Announce Jota!!

it's been 58 mins, chill out.

Go mad in 3 mins.

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #14907 on: September 18, 2020, 05:00:24 pm »

it's been 58 mins, chill out.

Go mad in 3 mins.

;D
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Online MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14908 on: September 18, 2020, 05:02:00 pm »
Liverpool are closing in on a deal to sign Diogo Jota after completing the capture of Thiago Alcântara from Bayern Munich.

Talks between Liverpool and Wolverhampton Wanderers are at an advanced stage and the fee for the 23-year-old Portugal forward is expected to be more than £35 million

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/liverpool-launch-shock-bid-for-jota-after-signing-thiago-zrxljwn5b

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14909 on: September 18, 2020, 05:03:06 pm »
does Jota really have searing pace? I'm asking seriously - I recall him being fast enough - but not super fast.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14910 on: September 18, 2020, 05:03:09 pm »
This is ridiculous  ;D

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #14911 on: September 18, 2020, 05:03:23 pm »
"Searing pace" is overselling him somewhat.  He's always looked to have more of a Craig Bellamy persistent scamper about him than raw pace.

I think he's a good player and I'll be more than happy to have him as an option for that forward line.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Richie69

• Benefits from 20:20 hindsight because he owns a time machine and a perfect decision making brain.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #14912 on: September 18, 2020, 05:04:08 pm »
Sancho tomorrow...

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #14913 on: September 18, 2020, 05:04:11 pm »
Reddy reporting Jota deal now.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #14914 on: September 18, 2020, 05:04:20 pm »
Jota’s only 23? Must have had one of the toughest paper rounds in Portugal.

Just been on a work call for the last two hours and just checked for updates. Picked the wrong day to be offline for a couple of hours. :D

So Thiago is signed, Jota looks likely and Hoever’s going the other way? Is that all correct? Anything else I’ve missed?!

Offline Songs to Sing

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Hold your head up high He made the people happy
« Reply #14915 on: September 18, 2020, 05:04:30 pm »
does Jota really have searing pace? I'm asking seriously - I recall him being fast enough - but not super fast.

Not when I’ve seen him, at all. Not a player I’d say is fast, but not slow. Though 35 mil seems quite a bit for him...
-Rafael Benitez 03/06/2010: "Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone." No, thank you, you wondeful, humble, gracious man. You fought for us for years and won't be forgotten.-
The 5th Benitle

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #14916 on: September 18, 2020, 05:04:31 pm »
Bellamy was rapid??  :o
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14917 on: September 18, 2020, 05:05:08 pm »
I'm bored.

Announce Jota!!

You sound like an Instagram bot.  :P
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #14918 on: September 18, 2020, 05:05:13 pm »
If we pay more than £35m for Jota, we obviously could have payed £47m for Werner. Makes you wonder if we pulled out of that last minute because we had second thoughts and just didn't think he'd fit into our system.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #14919 on: September 18, 2020, 05:05:50 pm »
If we pay more than £35m for Jota, we obviously could have payed £47m for Werner. Makes you wonder if we pulled out of that last minute because we had second thoughts and just didn't think he'd fit into our system.

Agent fees and his insane wages are a huge factor too.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.