Author Topic: COVID-19:VERIFIED news sources, 0 politishit, 0 CONSPIRACY SHITE  (Read 3502103 times)

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
This looks bad for the US

https://www.ft.com/coronavirus-latest

The Coronavirus trajectories look grim
that number compared to China is horrendous when you take into account population

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Have to admit I’m getting worried seeing more and more younger people dying with no underlying health issues.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
that number compared to China is horrendous when you take into account population
+ USA one of the most unhealthy countries in the world.
Chris Bryant

It feels as if the major from Fawlty Towers has taken over the Tory campaign.
10:42 PM · May 25, 2024
·

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Have to admit I’m getting worried seeing more and more younger people dying with no underlying health issues.

Stories like that were always going to come out to try to make the world take it seriously.

However, it's unlikely young people will die from it.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Stories like that were always going to come out to try to make the world take it seriously.

However, it's unlikely that most young people will die from it.

They will - but it won’t be in droves.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 12:43:43 am by newterp »

Offline kopite17

• Legacy Fan
Department of Health confirming that the case and death rate data today is not over a 24 hour period. Not sure the timescale on the number they released today

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
Department of Health confirming that the case and death rate data today is not over a 24 hour period. Not sure the timescale on the number they released today
Why the change I wonder?

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan

The worry is people have it, with no obvious symptoms (asymptotic) and pass it on to more vulnerable individuals.

Don’t understand why they are changing the method of reporting deaths, the numbers are very important so we know how far into this we really are.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
This looks bad for the US

https://www.ft.com/coronavirus-latest

The Coronavirus trajectories look grim

I think we are getting to the point where putting the US on a graph of cumulative cases/deaths will be misleading. A virus like this spreads linearly 'horizontally' (i.e across a map) but exponentially 'vertically' (the increase in cases in a specified area). The USA as a nation covers 9.8m square km. The whole of Europe covers 10.2m and (depending on where you draw the boundaries) is split into c.50 separate nations. The current spikes in Italy and Spain are counted separately in 'Europe' terms but are in the same country in USA terms.

So to make meaningful comparisions you need to break the US data down into smaller geographical/political units. Going by that measure (and the single graph breaking things down that way) things look really awful for New York, and if the same pattern appears in the other major cities, for their country as a whole.     

Offline Lotus Eater

• "The first picture of you! The first picture of summer. See the flowers scream their joy!" Father of Water Melon Eater.
  • Kopite
  • Yer Ma wears army boots

Look at it this way.

Apparently there are four coronaviruses that are in circulation in the world on a perpetual basis that make up the common flu we see today.

Err... 4 STRAINS make up a flu vaccine.
H1N1, H3N2, and 2 B strains.

From what I read, nothing says Flu is a Coronavirus but please correct me if I’m wrong.

It’s maybe similar to flu in being “seasonal” I.e. Prevalent in Winter seasons for both northern and Southern Hemisphere
11 September 1999 - Slater Street. 2 beers, a packet of crisps and a truncheon please.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
I think we are getting to the point where putting the US on a graph of cumulative cases/deaths will be misleading. A virus like this spreads linearly 'horizontally' (i.e across a map) but exponentially 'vertically' (the increase in cases in a specified area). The USA as a nation covers 9.8m square km. The whole of Europe covers 10.2m and (depending on where you draw the boundaries) is split into c.50 separate nations. The current spikes in Italy and Spain are counted separately in 'Europe' terms but are in the same country in USA terms.

So to make meaningful comparisions you need to break the US data down into smaller geographical/political units. Going by that measure (and the single graph breaking things down that way) things look really awful for New York, and if the same pattern appears in the other major cities, for their country as a whole.     

Things are really really shit here in Spain at the minute. Unfortunately I see the UK being a hell of a lot worse than us in two or three weeks.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town

We all knew that Trump in charge was going to create damage somewhere, we assumed Korea or Iran but it looks like most of the damage will be to his own country. I suspect though that given Covid will strike faster and harder in cities and poorer areas without access to health care that he personally will just see this as enhancing his election chances and that as long as the virus takes longer to reach his heartlands it will be good for him. I'm damn sure that's the way this man thinks. You don't need conspiracy theories with Trump, they are in the open.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Priest078

• Legacy Fan
Mates sister was on the Coronavirus ward at Royal Preston hospital last night. 10 on ventilators 2 died . Grim

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan

Just adding a source for this

https://twitter.com/DHSCgovuk/status/1242950122981470208

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Well here's just what you're wondering...I've tracked these three states for a week now. It's building in an ominous manner. I'm hoping the sharp growth rate is mostly due to a lack of test kits in past weeks, because if it keeps spreading at this rate...

COVID-19 FROM 3/18-3/25

Massachusetts, Rhode Island & Connecticut combined

CASES:
3/18 - 337
3/25 - 2845
increase of 844%

DEATHS:
3/18 - 1
3/25 - 34
increase of 3400%

if projected out one week, same growth rate

CASES:
3/25 - 2845
4/1 - 24,011 pj
increase of 844% pj

DEATHS:
3/25 - 34
4/1 - 1156 pj
increase of 3400% pj

Offline lamad

• Legacy Fan
Look at it this way.
Apparently there are four coronaviruses that are in circulation in the world on a perpetual basis that make up the common flu we see today. Some will kill patients who have been weakened due to them developing respiratory infections. The death rate for this flu has been accepted as an annual event, because to try to get rid of that flu will have major economic consequences, like we do now.

Oddly enough, if the action we take now works, we may put an end to some of these strains as a side benefit, but literally no one knows if that will happen. But it is a scientific possibility that we can eliminate a couple of the current flu viruses if a majority of the world's population gets immunized, which is never going to happen voluntarily. Which means that we always had the choice to save those people who die from the flu every year, but in the end, we chose not to, because of money, and perhaps because of the ignorance of the masses.

On the other hand, Covid-19 develops into a resipratory illness which is a very severe form of pneumonia. The current death rate hovering around 3-4% it seems at the latest estimate, is not necessarily the actual death rate of this virus in a vaccum. If the people who suffer from this receive no treatment at all, the death rate can be much, much worse (and it is hard to predict how much worse it can be). So the line has been drawn in the sand, that regardless of economic consequences, we have to stop this one now. This is how dangerous this virus is, because this virus can kill a lot more, if we don't do something about it.
You are confusing viruses; there are four coronaviruses among two hundred or so rhinoviruses that result in what is called a common cold and not generally is a severe health threat. None of those coronaviruses cause the flu. The flu, which is a threat, is caused by an influenza virus. And for the flu there actually is a vaccine (although it could be debated why not more people, at least those with health problems, get a flu shot once a year).
It is also too early to properly assess the exact death rate for COVID-19, because how many people have had it and had their own body deal with it relatively easy is just an estimate at this point.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 01:16:07 am by lamad »

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
Things are really really shit here in Spain at the minute. Unfortunately I see the UK being a hell of a lot worse than us in two or three weeks.

In terms of the increase in case numbers I'm expecting London to be worse than Madrid/Lombardy and Birmingham to be about the same. In terms of deaths I've no idea - on the one hand I think it is fair to say that the NHS is under-resourced compared to its continental equivalents but on the other hand we have had 1 week on Spain and two weeks on Italy to prepare logistically and potentially for public behaviours to have changed a little sooner. The latter might be too late in London but hopefully will have come 'online' in time that other areas of the country will be able to keep on top of things and take some of the medical load off the hotspots (again that kind of pooling/allocation of resources is much more achievable the more lead up time you have logistically).

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
+ USA one of the most unhealthy countries in the world.
yup, could be horrific there

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan

They just need to get through the next 2 weeks, infection stops spreading on Easter Sunday, Trump likes Easter, wouldn't it be nice, if it all ends on Easter.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I think it will be. it would be a nightmare to control for any decent competent President, Trump is anything but a decent competent president. the USA has a bluff merchant in charge when it faces a nightmare, the Jaws mayor analogy is fitting.
Chris Bryant

·

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
Well here's just what you're wondering...I've tracked these three states for a week now. It's building in an ominous manner. I'm hoping the sharp growth rate is mostly due to a lack of test kits in past weeks, because if it keeps spreading at this rate...

COVID-19 FROM 3/18-3/25

Massachusetts, Rhode Island & Connecticut combined

CASES:
3/18 - 337
3/25 - 2845
increase of 844%

DEATHS:
3/18 - 1
3/25 - 34
increase of 3400%

if projected out one week, same growth rate

CASES:
3/25 - 2845
4/1 - 24,011 pj
increase of 844% pj

DEATHS:
3/25 - 34
4/1 - 1156 pj
increase of 3400% pj

That increase in case numbers is broadly the same as we've seen in Europe over 7 day periods from similar starting points. I'd suggest it represents the 'uncontrolled' spread of infections i.e. the spread before any implementation of lockdown measures and changes in public behaviour.

In terms of getting an idea of the impact of the virus compared to elsewhere I don't think you'll know for 2-3 weeks in terms of numbers of deaths (evaluating how resilient health services are to the strain being put on them) and 4-6 weeks in terms of whether the active case numbers start to level off and start declining (evaluating the speed and effectiveness of the lockdown measures).     

In the UK I think we are just about to hit that first stage.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 01:50:14 am by Sammy5IsAlive »

Offline djahern

• aka Gail Yodeller
  • Legacy Fan
Does anyone know when worldmeters updated the UK numbers for serious/critical cases? Was on 20 for the last few weeks so I guess UK weren’t reporting that number but now I see it’s at 163.

And anyone know where this information came from?

Edit: found it, the data is from 196 patients admitted between feb 29th and March 19th and was compiled by the intensive care national audit and research centre.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-first-analysis-reveals-trends-in-uks-critical-cases-11962457

« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 01:55:41 am by djahern »

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
That increase in case numbers is broadly the same as we've seen in Europe over 7 day periods from similar starting points. I'd suggest it represents the 'uncontrolled' spread of infections i.e. the spread before any implementation of lockdown measures and changes in public behaviour.

In terms of getting an idea of the impact of the virus compared to elsewhere I don't think you'll know for 2-3 weeks in terms of numbers of deaths (evaluating how resilient health services are to the strain being put on them) and 4-6 weeks in terms of whether the active case numbers start to level off and start declining (evaluating the speed and effectiveness of the lockdown measures).   
Looking at the worldometer, the US will pass Italy and likely China within 2-3 days in terms of cases. Over 11,000 added TODAY.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
my partner's mother is a GP and one of her patients tested positive, plus the neighbours have just announced today that they've been "feeling unwell" for some time - so today we got tested. Results tomorrow.

Fingers crossed for you, your partner and her mom mum...

Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
Has anyone here volunteered in their country?

Obviously it needs to be done the right way but I feel horrible that I can’t help my parents who are at the other end of the country, they do have help there but I still feel poxy about it. If any Irish reds have or know anything about it I’d be happy to help.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
Looking at the worldometer, the US will pass Italy and likely China within 2-3 days in terms of cases. Over 11,000 added TODAY.

That's what I was saying earlier though - in terms of cases that is inevitable. The US has a population of 330 million. Italy and Hubei have populations of 60m.

I think you are on the right lines in terms of looking at more local statistics but in the area you are looking at I don't think that they will tell you a great deal for a couple of weeks.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Just signed up for JSA and Universal Credit (2nd mainly because I think JSA will turn me down.)

Wait time for JSA, 14 days,

Wait time to get through to the identify verification website for UC, so far i've been in a queue for 40 minutes with 44,000 people in front of me...at 2am in the morning.

They've truly fucked up on the workers support.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Just signed up for JSA and Universal Credit (2nd mainly because I think JSA will turn me down.)

Wait time to get through to the identify verification website for UC, so far i've been in a queue for 40 minutes with 44,000 people in front of me...at 2am in the morning.

better than the bulk sales though!

I think it will be. it would be a nightmare to control for any decent competent President, Trump is anything but a decent competent president. the USA has a bluff merchant in charge when it faces a nightmare, the Jaws mayor analogy is fitting.
A competent one (eg his predecessor) or one who isn’t an arrogant imbecile (eg his predecessors predecessor) would have done a much better job of containment and letting the actual experts deal with it (and they wouldn’t have binned the pandemic department to save a few pennies two years ago), sadly there seem to be a lot who think he’s amazing and doing brilliantly, his old joke of how he can walk down Times Square and shoot a load of people and it wouldn’t lose him his hardcore vote is painfully true

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
A competent one (eg his predecessor) or one who isn’t an arrogant imbecile (eg his predecessors predecessor) would have done a much better job of containment and letting the actual experts deal with it (and they wouldn’t have binned the pandemic department to save a few pennies two years ago), sadly there seem to be a lot who think he’s amazing and doing brilliantly, his old joke of how he can walk down Times Square and shoot a load of people and it wouldn’t lose him his hardcore vote is painfully true
Cant say am certain how Trump comes out of this but a lot of people are going to loose close family members, a lot of people are going to loose jobs and businesses, countries may refuse flights from the USA when the tide turns against the virus until they get their act together, it will shame the USA, the South may love his packed churches at Easter statement but I think it will come back to haunt him considering how the rest of the worlds reacting,
Chris Bryant

·

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada

BNO Newsroom
‏Verified account @BNODesk

Over the past 24 hours, the U.S. reported 14,024 new cases of coronavirus and 265 new deaths, raising the total to 68,347 cases and 1,037 dead
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada

Surely it would have been easier for the Tories to go for the National wage like a lot of countries have, odds on Labour would have.

I bet the Tories were worried that it would be hard to take away again afterwards.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
A letter in the FT about the Oxford study (that was discussed on here yesterday)
The Oxford study figure has no empirical justification [from]
Tim Colbourn
Associate Professor of Global Health Epidemiology and Evaluation, UCL Institute for Global Health, London, UK

Anna Odone
Associate Professor of Public Health, University Vita-Salute San Raffaele, Milan, Italy

Walter Ricciardi
Professor of Hygiene and Public Health, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Roma, Italy

Elio Riboli
Professor in Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention, School of Public Health, Imperial College London, UK

Nisreen Alwan
Associate Professor in Public Health, University of Southampton, UK

Martin McKee
Professor of European Public Health, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine

https://www.ft.com/content/ebab9fcc-6e8d-11ea-9bca-bf503995cd6f?shareType=nongift

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
A letter in the FT about the Oxford study (that was discussed on here yesterday)
Tim Colbourn
Associate Professor of Global Health Epidemiology and Evaluation, UCL Institute for Global Health, London, UK

Anna Odone
Associate Professor of Public Health, University Vita-Salute San Raffaele, Milan, Italy

Walter Ricciardi
Professor of Hygiene and Public Health, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Roma, Italy

Elio Riboli
Professor in Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention, School of Public Health, Imperial College London, UK

Nisreen Alwan
Associate Professor in Public Health, University of Southampton, UK

Martin McKee
Professor of European Public Health, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine

https://www.ft.com/content/ebab9fcc-6e8d-11ea-9bca-bf503995cd6f?shareType=nongift

Same was confirmed yesterday by Prof Mark Ferguson (co author of the Imperial college report that’s informing current Govt strategy) when he appeared in front of the scientific select committee.

Online Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
Banks wanting personal guarantees for loans. Charlatans.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52043896

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
Banks wanting personal guarantees for loans. Charlatans.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52043896

Banks over here are charging interest on deferred mortgages too, so you end up coming out behind where you were going into it.

Hope they all fucking fail. We can hunt bankers for sport, or food.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.

One evolutionary biologist and epidemiologist summed it up as:

"Imagine if I were to write a paper about a thought experiment: "Could evolution work if animals didn't die?"

Well, the equivalent FT headline would read "We may be immortal — University of Washington study."

It's that bad."

(Bergstrom)
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
How are they measuring recovered? If it’s a test one after the patient confirms no symptoms, it depends on when that test is taken or what period after the symptoms they count as recovered. I imagine they’re not really concentrating on that statistic at the moment, just treating the sick. There’ll be delays for those numbers.

Recovered are cases that have been hospitalised and are now discharged. At the moment the majority of critical cases are still in hospital, taking up beds and ventilators.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline PeterJM

• The Queens Drive Dodger. Has a reckless appetite for meat
  • Legacy Fan
Banks over here are charging interest on deferred mortgages too, so you end up coming out behind where you were going into it.

Hope they all fucking fail. We can hunt bankers for sport, or food.
So in 3 months it becomes even more unaffordable when the payments resume which is the reason I swerved the offer from RBS who we helped to bail out in 2008.It goes to prove that you don’t get something for nothing off a bank.

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
Saw an example on the bank of Ireland site. Something like 15 years left. Monthly payment now £555. After 3 month holiday £565. For £1500 when I really need it, that doesn't seem too bad. Note for those considering that have mortgage terms about to end, be careful. Banks may not let you switch product so you will be stuck on SVR. Also the rate cut for those on trackers should have helped.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
Did they say obesity was a factor? That won't bode well for USA
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.