Author Topic: Playstation 5 (2020)  (Read 150562 times)

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Playstation 5 (2020)
« Reply #680 on: October 27, 2020, 01:07:20 pm »
Controller impressions sound great. New controller, new games, what a new generation is all about!

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #681 on: October 27, 2020, 01:30:28 pm »
Controller impressions sound great. New controller, new games, what a new generation is all about!

Isn't a new generation more about rationalising controller changes and convincing yourself that the launch games are actually worth the cost of a console?  ;D

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #682 on: October 27, 2020, 01:33:28 pm »
Why is it so chunky?  Does it need all that space for cooling, what's going on.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #683 on: October 27, 2020, 01:54:42 pm »

He's just a thicc boi, leave him alone.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #684 on: October 27, 2020, 01:56:52 pm »

Yes.
:D

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #685 on: October 27, 2020, 02:02:36 pm »
Holy shit hahahaha

Parents
'when I was your age we couldn't get the VCR through the door and had to order a crane to get a microwave into the kitchen'

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #686 on: October 27, 2020, 02:44:21 pm »
One big bastard.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #687 on: October 27, 2020, 03:32:28 pm »

While there is a lot of cooling needed, it also seems like there's a fair amount of space to spare with those side pieces if you watch the teardown video, so it also seems like some of it is intentional design rather than strictly being functionally required, perhaps as these consoles become more like a pc in a number of ways there's been some pushback within Sony to distinguish it from that.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #688 on: October 27, 2020, 03:43:26 pm »
I do hope games, UI, performance and the controller are top notch - because there are absolutely no redeeming qualities in the design of the console itself. It is big, ugly and looking at it next to those Dieter Rams inspired Xbox models only makes it worse. I can't imagine a living room layout where those Xbox models couldn't fit in nicely and I also can't imagine one where PS5 wouldn't stick out like a fat, greasy thumb.

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #689 on: October 27, 2020, 03:46:35 pm »
I'd rather it be massive if it can cool properly, still scarred by all those RROD 360s and the insane howl of the early PS4 when it warmed up.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #690 on: October 27, 2020, 03:49:37 pm »
It isn't just the size - it's the form of the thing, it's the materials and colours of it.
It looks like a first draft by an industrial design apprentice that fell asleep while watching a Tron movie marathon high on some good hash.
In many ways it follows the more flaboyant route they took with PS3 - but fails desperately.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #691 on: October 27, 2020, 03:53:54 pm »
All three of them look shit though
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #692 on: October 27, 2020, 04:21:29 pm »
It isn't just the size - it's the form of the thing, it's the materials and colours of it.
It looks like a first draft by an industrial design apprentice that fell asleep while watching a Tron movie marathon high on some good hash.
In many ways it follows the more flaboyant route they took with PS3 - but fails desperately.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #693 on: October 27, 2020, 04:24:39 pm »
Zlen, you're trying too hard.

I'd rather it be massive if it can cool properly, still scarred by all those RROD 360s and the insane howl of the early PS4 when it warmed up.

Personally I like it but aside from the aesthetics I understand why they made it so big, especially if you watch the teardown it's clear how much cooling it needs because of the clocks so you have a huge heatsink as well as a bigger fan.  The whole back is one big exhaust. Then the board itself is big (XBSX/S is half the size but there are two sides to it) Also you have companies already making new designs for the removable covers if you don't like the white.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 04:42:44 pm by naYoRHa2b »

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #694 on: October 27, 2020, 04:29:52 pm »
All three of them look shit though

Yep. Looking forward to the PS5 Pro model in 2-3 years with a more slimmed down version hopefully.

Offline lfcthekop

• knows how to inbed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #695 on: October 27, 2020, 10:49:44 pm »
Does anyone know when pre orders will be open again. I really want to grab one for launch

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #696 on: October 27, 2020, 11:07:37 pm »
Does anyone know when pre orders will be open again. I really want to grab one for launch

I’ve seen talk of people being able to get the odd bundle through Game pretty much by spending all day clicking “add to basket” in the hopes they bag a cancelled order but realistically at this point your chances of getting one for launch are slim to none, we’re only three weeks from release. It’s the same in every country, scalpers have fucked it for everyone.

I’m extremely grateful that my Amazon order went smoothly on day one but I still check on it at least twice a day to make sure the order still exists ;D

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #697 on: October 28, 2020, 01:36:55 am »
They all seem to to be really impressed with the controller and after reading what it could do months ago it was one of the things I was most looking forward to.

No idea when I’ll actually be able to get a ps5 but I’m guessing it will be next year.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #698 on: October 28, 2020, 08:03:22 am »

It's going to be difficult. Sony pre-sold as many PS5's in 12 hours as they did in 12 weeks with the PS4 so the demand is significantly higher.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #699 on: October 28, 2020, 10:36:01 am »

Apparently, yes.

The reason why PS4 sounded like a jet about to take off was because of a small heatsink and interior space meaning it got clogged with dust easily, this means it's also too small fan due to small console size needed to spin like a manicac to try and cool the console.

More space = better airflow = more space for adequate heatsink = cooler console = less noise

Obvs this is all what we are told, let's see if it translates but at least to me it makes a lot of sense, if you actually look at the tear down of the console the internals aren't big, the space/size does seem to allow for efficient cooling

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #700 on: October 28, 2020, 10:48:44 am »
PS5 also has liquid metal thermal compound for additional cooling.

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #701 on: October 28, 2020, 03:20:52 pm »
It's going to be difficult. Sony pre-sold as many PS5's in 12 hours as they did in 12 weeks with the PS4 so the demand is significantly higher.

Lots of people got into gaming this year, I suspect.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #702 on: October 28, 2020, 03:22:22 pm »
Lots of people got into gaming this year, I suspect.

Supply chains and factories perhaps operating more slowly too?  Alongside distribution issues.

Reduced/slower supply combined with greater demand.

(A few albums I've ordered have been delayed for similar reasons)

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #703 on: October 28, 2020, 06:32:04 pm »
Ps Plus collection on PS5 looking pretty good now.

From Worldwide Studios:

Bloodborne
Days Gone
Detroit: Become Human
God of War
Infamous Second Son
Ratchet and Clank
The Last Guardian
The Last of Us Remastered
Until Dawn
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End

From our third-party publishers and developers:

Batman: Arkham Knight
Battlefield 1
Call of Duty: Black Ops III – Zombies Chronicles Edition
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
Fallout 4
Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition
Monster Hunter: World
Mortal Kombat X
Persona 5
Resident Evil 7 biohazard

Played most of them but one or two which I'll pick up. Can't complain on top of normal monthly games and online play

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #704 on: October 28, 2020, 08:34:27 pm »
Do you know if there will be performance upgrades other than loading times? I think god of war will have a 60fps mode but that’s the only one I’ve heard of.

Each to their own and all but it looks like quality over quantity when you compare it to game pass. No good racing game though it must be said.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #705 on: October 28, 2020, 08:45:36 pm »
Do you know if there will be performance upgrades other than loading times? I think god of war will have a 60fps mode but that’s the only one I’ve heard of.

Each to their own and all but it looks like quality over quantity when you compare it to game pass. No good racing game though it must be said.

There's a PS5 boost mode but it sounds like it's at the discretion of the developer whether they'll be improvements to the games frames per second, resolution etc. I think Ghost of Tsushima will have a 60fps mode on ps5 and I'd expect a few other first party titles to receive some upgrades but I doubt it will be like Xbox where there are more optimisations for older games.

And yeah they could of put something like GT Sport or one of the Dirt games on there or something.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #706 on: October 29, 2020, 02:34:51 pm »
Demon's Souls looking so nice. Can't wait to have a go.

https://youtu.be/C7NqSTQvRBw

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #707 on: October 29, 2020, 02:58:45 pm »

It's crazy.

Never played a Soulsborne game and I don't even know if they'd be my jam, but I'm most likely going to buy this (I might wait until I play Bloodborne on PS Plus though)

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #708 on: October 29, 2020, 03:13:25 pm »

Looks fantastic.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #709 on: October 30, 2020, 04:12:32 pm »
Spider-Verse suit in Miles Morales looks boss.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #710 on: October 30, 2020, 06:00:58 pm »
Spider-Verse suit in Miles Morales looks boss.

That low fps mode looks like you'd play it for about 10 mins before switching that bit off though.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #711 on: October 30, 2020, 06:53:44 pm »
John Lewis apparently had more available today but missed it

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #712 on: November 1, 2020, 10:43:54 am »
Presumably now there'll be more online and maybe as presale given shops won't be open?

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #713 on: November 1, 2020, 07:46:11 pm »
Presumably now there'll be more online and maybe as presale given shops won't be open?

I spoke to one of the Game workers when i was in there the other day. They're saying that Sony have massively underestimated the demand and they don't have enough stock to fill the existing pre-orders. She was saying the priority was, obviously, to fill those first before opening more pre-orders up. Reckoned it would be new year - at the earliest - before more came up.

Which is f****** shite.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #714 on: November 1, 2020, 10:51:00 pm »
I spoke to one of the Game workers when i was in there the other day. They're saying that Sony have massively underestimated the demand and they don't have enough stock to fill the existing pre-orders. She was saying the priority was, obviously, to fill those first before opening more pre-orders up. Reckoned it would be new year - at the earliest - before more came up.

Which is f****** shite.

Oh shit really?

That could scupper my plans haha

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #715 on: November 1, 2020, 11:10:49 pm »
Oh shit really?

That could scupper my plans haha

You'll be able to get one of ebay for £1500
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #716 on: November 2, 2020, 12:13:48 am »

You'll be able to get one of ebay for £1500

Great! ;D haha

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #717 on: November 2, 2020, 12:45:17 am »

It really is big

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #718 on: November 2, 2020, 09:11:35 am »

Which is f****** shite.

I’d take that with a complete pinch of salt mate. Some retail worker in Game is not privy to manufacturing or distribution arrangements. Nearly all retailers opened up a 2nd batch of pre-orders a few days after the first which they wouldn’t have done without some indication of their allocation from Sony’s UK distributors.

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #719 on: November 2, 2020, 10:34:03 am »
I’d take that with a complete pinch of salt mate. Some retail worker in Game is not privy to manufacturing or distribution arrangements. Nearly all retailers opened up a 2nd batch of pre-orders a few days after the first which they wouldn’t have done without some indication of their allocation from Sony’s UK distributors.

Yeah I spent enough years in retail to know that person is probably chatting wham.