Author Topic: Playstation 5 (2020)  (Read 151799 times)

Offline RobinHood

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Playstation 5 (2020)
« Reply #640 on: September 25, 2020, 11:42:26 am »
I moved into PC gaming in about 2016 but still use my PS4 fairly regularly with friends and for various decent exclusives.

I've never had an Xbox and I don't think I'll really need one as I'm on PC but PS5 isn't really enticing me in and I don't think I'll be getting one for a while.

I definitely will not be getting the disc less version, the main reason being the only way to get games would be digitally and will mean relying on the PS Store (unless they open it up and allow third party game sellers to sell keys). That means no competition and no option for used games or lending games to your friends. Some of the games on there are months, even years old, and still at full price with rarely any discounts.

Sony can charge whatever price they want and if you want to play it you'll have to pay it. Up until a few years ago Microsoft did the same thing, old games at full price, but at least now they've got the GamePass thing going on which looks pretty good value for money.

The PC is all digital of course but there's so much competition going on (Steam, Epic Games Store, GoG, Origin etc) that you rarely ever pay full price for a game.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #641 on: September 28, 2020, 05:41:43 pm »
If you pre-ordered with shopto, check your emails as they are letting people know if they were successful.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #642 on: September 28, 2020, 06:46:01 pm »
If you pre-ordered with shopto, check your emails as they are letting people know if they were successful.

Aye, I wasn’t unfortunately.

Luckily I got mine with Argos but the shopto one was going to be for my brother.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #643 on: September 29, 2020, 09:35:43 pm »
Bit concerned with the storage on the PS5, I’ve had a 2TB drive on my PS4 and then Pro for years, regularly deleting content from it to free up space. No doubt you’ll be able to replace it next year, but with the back catalogue of PS4 games that could easily be filled.

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #644 on: September 30, 2020, 09:55:06 am »
Bit concerned with the storage on the PS5, I’ve had a 2TB drive on my PS4 and then Pro for years, regularly deleting content from it to free up space. No doubt you’ll be able to replace it next year, but with the back catalogue of PS4 games that could easily be filled.
You can use an external HDD for PS4 games.

Just need the high speed SSD for the next gen stuff.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #645 on: September 30, 2020, 07:29:18 pm »
I can’t believe they have decided to remaster a game that came out in 2018. I’m not excited for this new gen at all at the moment.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #646 on: October 1, 2020, 05:39:35 am »
I can’t believe they have decided to remaster a game that came out in 2018. I’m not excited for this new gen at all at the moment.

They're also remastering GTA V btw
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #647 on: October 1, 2020, 06:17:55 am »
They remastered TLOU a year later so it's not uncommon. I'd definitely recommend the ultimate edition if you haven't played the 2018 version.

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #648 on: October 2, 2020, 08:21:59 pm »

Which game is this in reference to?

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #649 on: October 2, 2020, 08:44:26 pm »
I kind of get it. Most of the games released on the previous generation ended up on PC's with vastly superior graphical capabilities.

Would be crazy of them not to make the most of the engine

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #650 on: October 2, 2020, 09:43:54 pm »
Which game is this in reference to?

Spider-Man.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #651 on: October 3, 2020, 07:35:30 am »
To be a fair, it's only an addition to the Miles Morales game and not stand-alone. Makes sense for anyone who hasn't played it in the PS4 era.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #652 on: October 3, 2020, 10:18:06 pm »
Rumour has it that PS5 has 664GB storage once the OS has installed. If true that’s pretty disappointing as the likes of COD:MW is something daft like 250GB on its own.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #653 on: October 3, 2020, 11:00:31 pm »
Rumour has it that PS5 has 664GB storage once the OS has installed. If true that’s pretty disappointing as the likes of COD:MW is something daft like 250GB on its own.

I’d ignore those rumours at the minute.

They come from a picture which literally has a mouse cursor showing on the bottom of the screen and has already been discredited.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #654 on: October 7, 2020, 08:40:57 pm »
Not particularly interesting to watch the whole thing, but the teardown video shows that the side panels are easily removed, so hopefully there will quickly be alternatives for those who don't like the white ones, the nvme slot is also readily accessible once you remove them for when you need to expand the storage on it.

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #655 on: October 8, 2020, 08:52:51 am »
Was interesting to see it all. Think I'll stick to the external drives I've been using this gen for a while though until prices come right down on both PS and Xbox

Looking forward to it being sent to reviewers now to see what it's all about

• Kopite
« Reply #656 on: October 8, 2020, 09:46:53 am »
Was interesting to see it all. Think I'll stick to the external drives I've been using this gen for a while though until prices come right down on both PS and Xbox

Looking forward to it being sent to reviewers now to see what it's all about
You'll not be able to play a PS5 game off a standard external drive.  You can play back-compat PS4 games though.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #657 on: October 8, 2020, 11:44:22 am »

While I understand the sentiment and might be labeled a SONY fanboy for defending them here but that's not PS' fault, COD is obnoxiously large, there is no good reason a game with maps that tiny is that large, no other game comes vaguely close, IW really fucked up the way they handle COD and every update keeps inflating it, it's awful from the developer (although I sympathies games are getting larger due to better graphics/resolutions/textures) but COD is just ridiculous

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #658 on: October 8, 2020, 11:49:29 am »
While I understand the sentiment and might be labeled a SONY fanboy for defending them here but that's not PS' fault, COD is obnoxiously large, there is no good reason a game with maps that tiny is that large, no other game comes vaguely close, IW really fucked up the way they handle COD and every update keeps inflating it, it's awful from the developer (although I sympathies games are getting larger due to better graphics/resolutions/textures) but COD is just ridiculous
I've not had a Playstation since the 2 (or PSP I suppose) and am in no way an Xbox fanboy either, but I'm in agreement that I just don't understand how or why it can possibly be this large?

Is there an actual legitimate reason or is it essentially to minimise the amount of other games on your hard drive at any one time that could take you away from COD?
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #659 on: October 8, 2020, 12:00:13 pm »
I've not had a Playstation since the 2 (or PSP I suppose) and am in no way an Xbox fanboy either, but I'm in agreement that I just don't understand how or why it can possibly be this large?

Is there an actual legitimate reason or is it essentially to minimise the amount of other games on your hard drive at any one time that could take you away from COD?

They've probably done it on purpose so it will eventually be the only game you can have installed on the PS.  ;D

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #660 on: October 8, 2020, 12:48:46 pm »
You'll not be able to play a PS5 game off a standard external drive.  You can play back-compat PS4 games though.

Oh I know that yeah, same on the Series X. I'll just wait the 5-20 minutes and move games about to get the most out of the SSD when needed

• Kopite
« Reply #661 on: October 8, 2020, 12:53:02 pm »
Oh I know that yeah, same on the Series X. I'll just wait the 5-20 minutes and move games about to get the most out of the SSD when needed
Aye that sounds like a plan alright

Sent from my XQ-AT51 using Tapatalk

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #662 on: October 8, 2020, 04:17:44 pm »

COD is literally 200GB in size, the next closest is Destiny 2 around 170GB but I'd argue that makes more sense as destiny has an open world, multiple locations/planet and crazy array of different graphics for guns, vehicles, locations, etc... COD has no business being that big.

RDR2 is next at around 105GB again, humongous game yet its 100GB less than COD?

GTA 5 is 75GB or so.

In summary, COD is taking the piss and by no mean is currently "the standard" in regards to game install size, apparently the new one is just as bad going off the BETA size.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #663 on: October 8, 2020, 04:38:27 pm »
MW has a campaign, A battle royale mode, A spec ops mode and alot of multiplayer maps..yes it's file size is big and takes the piss but it's not like there isn't alot of content. At least you can uninstall parts of the game if you don't want to play them, like the MP packs, the spec ops mode etc.
« Last Edit: October 8, 2020, 04:41:27 pm by naYoRHa2b »

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #664 on: October 8, 2020, 05:16:01 pm »
MW has a campaign, A battle royale mode, A spec ops mode and alot of multiplayer maps..yes it's file size is big and takes the piss but it's not like there isn't alot of content. At least you can uninstall parts of the game if you don't want to play them, like the MP packs, the spec ops mode etc.

BL3 has a full story campaign, 4 full campaign story dlcs and seasonal content, it clocks in at just over 100gig.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #665 on: October 8, 2020, 05:46:44 pm »
BL3 has a full story campaign, 4 full campaign story dlcs and seasonal content, it clocks in at just over 100gig.

Without the BR mode it would be closer to 100gb. Every asset from MP including guns and characters has to be carried over to Warzone. It's just a lot of data and it was addressed here https://www.gamespot.com/amp-articles/why-call-of-duty-warzones-file-size-is-so-big/1100-6474739/
« Last Edit: October 8, 2020, 05:49:18 pm by naYoRHa2b »

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #666 on: October 8, 2020, 08:13:21 pm »
I’m surprised they need so much space for the os, over 150gb? Seems a lot.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #667 on: October 15, 2020, 09:34:45 am »
Any idea when the next batch will be available for pre-order?

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #668 on: October 15, 2020, 10:42:47 am »
Any idea when the next batch will be available for pre-order?
Fuck knows. At this stage its more likely you'll get one by turning up somewhere on launch day rather than waiting for the next batch of Pre-Orders.

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #669 on: October 15, 2020, 11:21:16 am »
I’m surprised they need so much space for the os, over 150gb? Seems a lot.

I don't believe its 150GB of full space, it's an allocation, so when in future they add features/updates it remains within that allocation, not take up more of the HDD (I think...)

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #670 on: October 15, 2020, 12:11:09 pm »
Has the 664GB of available storage been confirmed? It was just a rumour a week or so ago.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #671 on: October 15, 2020, 12:57:25 pm »
It's not confirmed but no reason to think it's fake imo anyway. The tibits leaked off reddit like the console fan shot, OS start up seem to line up. I don't think it's that surprising that you'd be left with that much after system allocation. You got just over 800gb out of a PS4 Pro 1TB hd and I think the XB1X was similar. Hopefully we get smaller games this generation. I read that they'll be less asset duplication
https://t.co/jEZ5b7trbf

so we should in theory get smaller file sizes.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 01:00:44 pm by naYoRHa2b »

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #672 on: October 15, 2020, 01:46:21 pm »
I’m resigned to keeping the 2/3 games I’m playing currently on the console and swapping these on and off an external SSD, which shouldn’t be too much of a pain as the R/W speeds are pretty good these days - certainly quicker than trying to download them again.

I’ll keep an eye on the fancy new internal HDD options available but expect these to be quite pricey to begin with.
"We come here for the winning!"

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #673 on: October 16, 2020, 06:33:24 pm »
The UI looks really slick.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #674 on: October 18, 2020, 08:37:04 pm »
I’m resigned to keeping the 2/3 games I’m playing currently on the console and swapping these on and off an external SSD, which shouldn’t be too much of a pain as the R/W speeds are pretty good these days - certainly quicker than trying to download them again.

I’ll keep an eye on the fancy new internal HDD options available but expect these to be quite pricey to begin with.
The Xbox series x ssd expansions are about £200 for 1tb

Online jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #675 on: October 22, 2020, 03:39:33 pm »
The UI looks really slick.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7TBPrYJDoDE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7TBPrYJDoDE</a>

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #676 on: October 22, 2020, 04:12:52 pm »
The Xbox series x ssd expansions are about £200 for 1tb

The Xbox little bespoke cards do look like a neat solution. I think I’ll have plenty of storage to begin with and will let the dust settle on options before picking one.
"We come here for the winning!"

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #677 on: October 23, 2020, 09:47:38 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7TBPrYJDoDE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7TBPrYJDoDE</a>

Voice dictated messages via the controller is a godsend.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #678 on: October 27, 2020, 12:09:28 pm »
The influencers have got their unboxing heading out

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/QtMzV73NAgk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/QtMzV73NAgk</a>

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #679 on: October 27, 2020, 12:27:39 pm »
Holy shit hahahaha