Author Topic: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)  (Read 466096 times)

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Re: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)
« Reply #4440 on: January 3, 2022, 03:17:08 pm »
They've also renamed Pay-Per-View to "Premium Live Event" ???

Some joker on Reddit bought the domain for that and set it to redirect to AEW's page.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #4441 on: January 3, 2022, 03:22:33 pm »
Some joker on Reddit bought the domain for that and set it to redirect to AEW's page.
I saw that ;D

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4442 on: January 3, 2022, 03:32:43 pm »
Don’t think Lesnar will keep the belt long though. It was proper on the fly booking, they’ll want the title back on a Raw guy pronto. It’s still going to be Brock/Roman at Mania, no need for two titles to be involved. Assume Lesnar drops it to Lashley, either at the Rumble or whatever the PPV is between that and Mania (No Way Out in the old days!)

I hope so. They can use Lashley to build the next big Raw guy.

Was shocked at the reaction Brock got though. Might be a case of the last guy built up properly, with relatively little error, in WWE and he is still a star in the eyes of the crowd.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4443 on: January 3, 2022, 03:42:14 pm »
Brock will always be over because he's booked like a big deal and disappears for a while to stay fresher than the rest of the folks at the top of the card.  And to be fair, he is a pretty big deal.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4444 on: January 3, 2022, 03:54:27 pm »
Brock will always be over because he's booked like a big deal and disappears for a while to stay fresher than the rest of the folks at the top of the card.  And to be fair, he is a pretty big deal.

Yeah, I guess it makes sense. I mean, in the old days, Hogan was actually a rare attraction. I guess it's hard to make someone a star when they are there all the time. At some point, bad booking will happen.

I was still shocked though. I got the sense that even the crowds had gotten bored with the same old routine from him.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4445 on: January 3, 2022, 04:03:18 pm »
Yeah, I guess it makes sense. I mean, in the old days, Hogan was actually a rare attraction. I guess it's hard to make someone a star when they are there all the time. At some point, bad booking will happen.

I was still shocked though. I got the sense that even the crowds had gotten bored with the same old routine from him.

He’s at least playing things slightly differently now, he’s enjoying being a face.

I think with this Roman just wins the Rumble and challenges Brock at Mania in what might be their 3rd or 4th match together at that show at this point.

Don’t see the logic in Roman winning the Rumble when he has the strap? Could potentially see Brock winning the Rumble though after being screwed out the title by Roman/Heyman earlier in the night though. Not that Brock needs the rub, but the Rumble has lost so much lustre recently that it doesn’t really matter.

Can kind of only really be Brock or one of the top guys on the Raw side - won’t be Edge as he won last year, so you’re looking at Big E, Lashley or Owens and none of those are really interesting.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4446 on: January 3, 2022, 04:13:10 pm »
He’s at least playing things slightly differently now, he’s enjoying being a face.

Don’t see the logic in Roman winning the Rumble when he has the strap?

Ah apologies I thought the 5-way match was for Roman's title and he vacated it. It was for Big E's belt, right?

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4447 on: January 3, 2022, 05:28:38 pm »
Ah apologies I thought the 5-way match was for Roman's title and he vacated it. It was for Big E's belt, right?

Yeah, exactly.

Apparently it was meant to be a 25 minute match, but ended up running just eight minutes cos Brock was in it  ;D

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4448 on: January 4, 2022, 09:39:08 pm »
Anybody into the UK indies seen much of Lizzy Evo? I know she's been on Progress and Rev Pro (think she might have had some dark's for NXT UK) but she's had some really good reviews from the smaller indies. TNT, C4TCH and PCW champ (although I think she might have recently dropped TNT). Seen some clips of her and she does look impressive and still very young.
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4449 on: January 5, 2022, 09:16:40 am »
Bron Breakker the new NXT champ already. Guy is going to be on the main roster soon, going to be pushed hard and fast by Vince.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4450 on: January 5, 2022, 09:19:22 am »
Bron Breakker the new NXT champ already. Guy is going to be on the main roster soon, going to be pushed hard and fast by Vince.

I dunno, once Vince sees him stood next to Roman and the big difference in height he might have second thoughts.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #4451 on: January 5, 2022, 09:20:59 am »

So expect his release by April then :P

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4452 on: January 5, 2022, 09:58:29 am »
Anybody into the UK indies seen much of Lizzy Evo? I know she's been on Progress and Rev Pro (think she might have had some dark's for NXT UK) but she's had some really good reviews from the smaller indies. TNT, C4TCH and PCW champ (although I think she might have recently dropped TNT). Seen some clips of her and she does look impressive and still very young.

Checked out a couple of matches and she does look very promising for her age.  Hits hard and has a bit of character.  Should stick to the Indies for a couple of years, work Japan more and then hopefully get picked up by one of the big promotions.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4453 on: January 5, 2022, 11:14:37 am »
I don't think anyone can be called a sure fire hit in WWE anymore - Bron is great but Vince hate collegate wrestlers and he is only 5'10. Grayson Waller will get whated to oblivion. Von Wagner is just "The Good Khali". Tony DeAngelo is just too gimmicky.

To top it all off, Vince himself has seemingly deteriorated badly the last 5 years, and he wasn't particularly good 5 years ago either.

I think Big E's "push" is sign enough of no one being a sure fire hit, as Big E was the biggest soft ball in the business and they still managed to fumble badly.

Offline btroom

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4454 on: January 5, 2022, 06:41:00 pm »
Whats next for seth and kevin then? their partnership was few good thing about wwe in past few months

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4455 on: January 5, 2022, 07:31:27 pm »
Whats next for seth and kevin then? their partnership was few good thing about wwe in past few months

Would guess they'll go against Riddle/Orton.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4456 on: January 5, 2022, 09:22:29 pm »
A few cuts in NXT to staff happening now, Road Dogg the biggest name so far.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4457 on: January 5, 2022, 09:23:30 pm »

Can imagine how that conversation started.

"OH YOU DIDN'T KNOW?!"

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4458 on: January 5, 2022, 09:37:05 pm »
Regal too now.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4459 on: January 5, 2022, 09:44:30 pm »
Gutting all the old NXT for the new one.

Regal getting sacked is a real shock honestly. Road Dogg not as much as he fell all the way down the QAnon/Covid Conspiracy rabbit hole

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4460 on: January 5, 2022, 09:46:10 pm »
Yeah Road Dogg is a proper dickhead so whatever, but Regal is a surprise.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4461 on: January 5, 2022, 10:03:12 pm »
Yeah Road Dogg is a proper dickhead so whatever, but Regal is a surprise.

He seemingly JUST convinced his son to leave NJPW for NXT UK and look what happens hahaha

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4462 on: January 5, 2022, 10:05:20 pm »
To top it all off, Vince himself has seemingly deteriorated badly the last 5 years, and he wasn't particularly good 5 years ago either.
That's the first I've read of that. I know he's been a bit more insane than usual backstage but didn't realise he was in a bad way Got to wonder how many more years he has left in him and where this company in headed once he's gone.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4463 on: January 5, 2022, 10:18:12 pm »
That's the first I've read of that. I know he's been a bit more insane than usual backstage but didn't realise he was in a bad way Got to wonder how many more years he has left in him and where this company in headed once he's gone.

I don't know anything specific other than rumours and innuendo (the shoot headbutt he took from Owens did his poorly).

BUT whatever is happening, just looking at the booking decisions and how borderline incomprehensible storylines are, it's hard to imagine it getting much better - he is an old man and whether via health concerns or just getting older and behind the times, it's probably just going to get worse. And with that, any sure fire prospects aren't sure fire at the moment, imho.

Offline btroom

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4464 on: January 5, 2022, 11:14:55 pm »
Would guess they'll go against Riddle/Orton.

meh. rather have tag team division for real tag teams. but we know vince hate that  ::)

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4465 on: January 5, 2022, 11:30:24 pm »
So it sounds like literally all the coaches bar Samoa Joe have been let go. I am a little surprised Joe hasn't gone as it is apparently him being resigned that put NXT in Vince's sight (as rumour is HHH apparently signed him acting as head of talent relations under Vince's nose)

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4466 on: January 6, 2022, 02:47:41 am »
I don't know anything specific other than rumours and innuendo (the shoot headbutt he took from Owens did his poorly)
I'm surprised more hasn't been made of this, it was hard AF on a guy in his 70's and Vince has clearly never been the same since.

On a side note, was fascinated to find out late 2000's indie jobber Get Cape Wear Cape Fly is a major wrestling mark. Does anyone know anyone who's an unlikelier megafan?

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #4467 on: January 6, 2022, 07:14:35 am »

Imagine if he reformed the New Age Outlaws! Money that.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4468 on: January 6, 2022, 09:51:48 am »
A real shame about Regal who is a bonafide legend being treated as collateral.

Offline mkferdy

• "Zlat's all, folks!" (yes, that's MY joke!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4469 on: January 6, 2022, 09:56:15 am »
Can imagine how that conversation started.

"OH YOU DIDN'T KNOW?!"

That's made me laugh this morning  ;D

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4470 on: January 6, 2022, 10:01:10 am »
So AEW was very eventful last night and overall seems a great show. But a few injuries - Rey Fenix broke his arm, and Jake Atlas (who was just signed and seemingly got some big idea's for him since he is instantly going into a match with Cole) blew his knee out although may not be as bad as first appears.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4471 on: January 6, 2022, 03:39:49 pm »
Do yourselves a favour, don't go out your way to watch the Fenix injury more than you have to. I saw it first time round and didn't think much of it. Saw it again from the replay angle and my god it's horrific

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #4472 on: January 6, 2022, 03:42:28 pm »
Do yourselves a favour, don't go out your way to watch the Fenix injury more than you have to. I saw it first time round and didn't think much of it. Saw it again from the replay angle and my god it's horrific

If it was a football injury, you'd have no replays and people crying around the stretcher.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4473 on: January 6, 2022, 05:22:29 pm »
Miraculously, Fenix has no broken bones just a badly dislocated shoulder which means no surgery and out for weeks not months as expected.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4474 on: January 6, 2022, 07:44:03 pm »
Jesus fuck that dislocated elbow looked horrific, but glad to hear it's somehow not a nasty one.

Thought it was an average Dynamite last night.  Page vs Danielson was phenomenal, those two already have some serious chemistry, but after that it was a bit iffy.  MJF and Punk need to get to the meat of the feud instead of treading water like this, and Jade Cargill is just so bad.  I really thought she was getting better but that match with Ruby was a bit of a horror show, she's just so green and shouldn't be anywhere near a title on a flagship wrestling show.

Pillman Jr doesn't seem to be getting any better either, reckon Griff will be the one from that team who has the better career, and that tag match at the end was a bit of a mess.  Just spot after spot after spot.

The absolute state of Jericho too, wtf was going on there with his hair and outfit.  If Claus was still around he'd be dining off that for months.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4475 on: January 6, 2022, 11:44:54 pm »
So it sounds like literally all the coaches bar Samoa Joe have been let go. I am a little surprised Joe hasn't gone as it is apparently him being resigned that put NXT in Vince's sight (as rumour is HHH apparently signed him acting as head of talent relations under Vince's nose)

Joe's been released now too.

Offline btroom

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4476 on: January 7, 2022, 05:40:18 am »
Miraculously, Fenix has no broken bones just a badly dislocated shoulder which means no surgery and out for weeks not months as expected.

hard to believe that. wonder if luchasaurus also jumping to the table same time caused that? wasn't he supposed to be just throw him to the table.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4477 on: January 7, 2022, 09:58:51 am »
hard to believe that. wonder if luchasaurus also jumping to the table same time caused that? wasn't he supposed to be just throw him to the table.

I saw it as one of those things that just happens in wrestling sometimes. I say that ofcourse, but Luchasaurus, for a very clever man, is not the smartest in how he works, but I think this was just one of those things.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4478 on: January 7, 2022, 10:42:53 am »
Watched Dynamite with some mates yesterday, its not a product I watch that much (I think the last time I caught up on AEW it was for the Full Gear week so thats 2 months ago).

The Fenix injury was so gnarly, and seeing he has only had a dislocation reminded me of Harvey's ankle injury at Leeds where we all feared the worst.

Jade Cargill reminds me of Nia Jax in that you wonder when she's going to kill/paralyze someone but she's got a higher ceiling due to her physique. Hope she'll improve over 2022 wrestling against better women. When they started out 2-3 years ago their Womens division wasn't great, its improved so much already. Britt Baker's ascent, Thunder Rosa + Ruby Soho's inclusions, Tay Conti's improvements, etc. They'll probably nab two or three WWE releases and be really rounded out.

-

I also watched the two nights of Wrestle Kingdom 16. Reduced attendances put it at 12k and then 6k, a far cry from when I went 3 times over the previous 5 years and it was 30-40k+. The two night format didn't go so great, as they don't have the roster or titles anymore for two elite shows back to back. Bring back the Intercontinental Title! KENTA basically got Joey Mercury'd in a ladder bump gone wrong, and had emergency facial surgery.

The fans still don't care about the new IWGP "World" Title and were shocked Okada chose it over the old belt he had been wearing over the last 2 months. Seems obvious he'll have another year-long reign with it to build the prestige of it up. Okada after having a GOAT level 2017 and winning the belt back in 2019 has been on the backburner for a couple of years nursing some injuries, however he had two 5 star matches back to back so seems he's returned to his best and we're due an incredible 2022 from him.

Now its up to Shingo, Ospreay, and Ibushi to keep up with him. Naito is actually the next defence but I don't think he's got a chance. 2022 is actually New Japan's 50th year anniversary and it appears they'll be running a "greatest hits" style of booking. Hopefully that means we get one more Okada/Tanahashi title match, a Shibata challenge, and return of Kenny Omega to New Japan.
« Last Edit: January 7, 2022, 10:46:25 am by OsirisMVZ »

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4479 on: January 7, 2022, 11:05:15 am »
Walter to NXT 2.0.

He will instantly look like the biggest star in the place