Author Topic: The Run Home and CL Qualification  (Read 213265 times)

Offline luckyluke

• A proponent of intercourse during accelerated perambulation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super bonanza extravaganza
Re: The Run Home and CL Qualification
« Reply #1560 on: April 18, 2018, 10:37:24 am »
A draw for Chelsea tomorrow would mean we could wrap up top4 mathematically on Saturday.

A pretty good end of the season in the league actually. The most important goal is (almost) achieved but there is still a bit of race for the 2nd and 3rd spot so the last 4-5 games don't fade into complete apathy. Although I'd swap it for City's if I'm honest.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #1561 on: April 18, 2018, 02:34:54 pm »
Just realised Burnley are trying to get above arsenal for Europe so they will give Chelsea a game

Unless Southampton wins the FA Cup, does seventh get Europa?
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1562 on: April 18, 2018, 02:50:37 pm »
Unless Southampton wins the FA Cup, does seventh get Europa?
I think that would be right.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1563 on: April 18, 2018, 02:57:00 pm »
I think that would be right.

Yeah think we get three spots, one for each of the cups and then one for 5th. And then if the cup winners have already qualified through the league, or qualified for the CL, then it goes to the next highest in the league.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #1564 on: April 18, 2018, 03:05:39 pm »
Yeah think we get three spots, one for each of the cups and then one for 5th. And then if the cup winners have already qualified through the league, or qualified for the CL, then it goes to the next highest in the league.

Yep.

Top 4 get CL, 5th and winners of FA and LC get EL. If winners of FA or LC have already qualified for CL or EL by virtue of their league position, the extra EL places go to 6th and 7th in the league accordingly.

If a team outside the top 4 wins the EL, they take a CL place. They are not replaced - England can only have a maximum of 7 teams in Europe. If teams outside of the top 4 win the CL AND the EL, 4th place drops into the Europa league.

Offline slimbo

• Kopite
« Reply #1565 on: April 18, 2018, 09:52:28 pm »
Updated with points

Man Utd  74  - Arsenal (h), BHA, West Ham, Watford (h),

Liverpool  70 - WBA, Stoke (h), Chelsea, BHA (h)

Spurs 68       - Watford (h), WBA, Newcastle (h), Leicester (h)

Chelsea 60    - Burnley, Swansea, LFC (h), Huddersfield (h), Newcastle

Arsenal 54    - West Ham (h), Man Utd, Burnley (h), Leicester, Huddersfield

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #1566 on: April 18, 2018, 09:53:17 pm »

The order is one for the main Cup competition, one for 5th place (both go straight into the group stage) and one for 6th place (into Q2). Associations can choose to allocate the 6th place spot to the secondary cup competition.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1567 on: April 18, 2018, 09:58:25 pm »
I think 2nd is unlikely now. Utd can lose to Arsenal at home and still finish above us. Let's do enough to get 3rd and focus on the semi-final.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1568 on: April 18, 2018, 10:02:46 pm »
I think 2nd is unlikely now. Utd can lose to Arsenal at home and still finish above us. Let's do enough to get 3rd and focus on the semi-final.

Yeah, third would still be a sign of good progress - even fourth would be as its two consecutive top four finishes - and winning number six would be a massive result.

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #1569 on: April 18, 2018, 10:18:00 pm »
Good point. They need to be careful what they wish for. I would be really surprised if Burnley don't get at least a point from tomorrow's game.

What's the point of their existence if they purposely want to dodge Europe? It's not like they'll ever get to CL bar a complete miracle.

I'm sure if you ask Stoke fans (After they get relegated), what was their most memorable night during a decade in top flight, many would say playing Valencia at Mestalla in a European competition knock out.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1570 on: April 18, 2018, 11:23:54 pm »

2nd went after that rubbish performance at Old Trafford. Its always hard to win at Old Trafford but we really should have put in a better performance there.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1571 on: April 19, 2018, 05:50:14 am »
I'm sure if you ask Stoke fans (After they get relegated), what was their most memorable night during a decade in top flight, many would say playing Valencia at Mestalla in a European competition knock out.

I think their most memorable game would be stuffing us 6-1 though.  :-[
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1572 on: April 19, 2018, 12:54:37 pm »
Alonso banned for 3 games for Chelsea which can only help us further. Not that I’m particularly worried of them catching us.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #1573 on: April 19, 2018, 01:02:32 pm »
If you're into gambling and/or stats, have a read of this re Burnley:

https://www.pinnacle.com/en/betting-articles/Soccer/are-burnley-good-lucky-or-both/4YH27PK5WNKJKTXC

A decline next season looks inevitable, whether they're in the EL or not.

Agree they almost certainly won't match this season's points total.

I do think statisticians need to re-address their thinking in terms of predicting drop-offs within the same season, though. That's three seasons in a row now that we've constantly been told Leicester, Chelsea and Burnley respectively would drop off by the Spring at the latest, and if anything the opposite has happened with their results improving as the season has progressed. Motivation for titles/trophies/high league placings will always help sides' momentum in these scenarios. Stats simply don't take this into consideration.

Honestly, I really wish I had bet a lot on those three teams in those seasons. Would have made a killing with the generous odds on offer (undoubtedly influenced by the statisticians I assume they employ to help them find the 'right' odds). I remember Leicester being about 6/4 to beat Southampton when they were chasing the title. Burnley were better than 2/1 at West Brom the other week.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 01:05:18 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #1574 on: April 19, 2018, 01:11:31 pm »
If Burnley get anything from Chelsea then we can seal it against West Brom. Or if not against Stoke. Or if not against Chelsea. Or if not against Brighton. In other words, it's already highly unlikely that Chelsea catch us, tonight it could be pretty much sealed.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
  • Show them the way to go ome
« Reply #1575 on: April 19, 2018, 01:41:49 pm »
You can get 66/1 on us not to get top 4
The reds are coming up the hill boys.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1576 on: April 19, 2018, 02:02:40 pm »
surprised it's not more .... we're fine, no need to worry about it at all imo
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1577 on: April 19, 2018, 02:16:04 pm »
Here's something to make you jealous.

I live in Burnley ( :o) - off to Turf Moor to cheer on Dyche and the boys. Wish me luck.

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
  • Show them the way to go ome
« Reply #1578 on: April 19, 2018, 02:18:52 pm »

I live in Burnley ( :o) - off to Turf Moor to cheer on Dyche and the boys. Wish me luck.
:-X
The reds are coming up the hill boys.

Offline G1-tiga

• Kopite
« Reply #1579 on: April 19, 2018, 02:19:19 pm »

Have a great time, my girlfriend is from there and I get to go on the Turf with her dad and brother from time to time, always really enjoy it.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #1580 on: April 19, 2018, 02:23:35 pm »

Cheer them big time, if Burnley can win tonight, they will remove some headaches for Jurgen Klopp for sure!
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1581 on: April 19, 2018, 02:33:24 pm »
Easy win for Chelsea tonight I reckon. They will be motivated after the spurs draw and how Burnley beat them on first day of season

Expect a 1-3 scoreline.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1582 on: April 19, 2018, 02:43:27 pm »
Burnley will give Chelsea a tough game. If Chelsea are not motivated, they will drop points. We almost did not beat them if Lovren and Klavan had not conjured up an injury time winner

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1583 on: April 19, 2018, 02:46:33 pm »
Agree they almost certainly won't match this season's points total.

I do think statisticians need to re-address their thinking in terms of predicting drop-offs within the same season, though
. That's three seasons in a row now that we've constantly been told Leicester, Chelsea and Burnley respectively would drop off by the Spring at the latest, and if anything the opposite has happened with their results improving as the season has progressed. Motivation for titles/trophies/high league placings will always help sides' momentum in these scenarios. Stats simply don't take this into consideration.

True that. Still, I remember Villa under Gregory and Hull under the orange twat who did a team talk on the pitch (name escapes me) bothering the top spots until about Christmas and then falling away dramatically in the not too distant past, so it has happened, and I think there've been a fair few other cases too. I was convinced all the way through Leicester's miracle run that they'd do the same. Lost 20 quid to a mate on that one.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #1584 on: April 19, 2018, 02:53:48 pm »

Great odds, that. Means if you stick £5 on, you'll win £0.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1585 on: April 19, 2018, 04:10:17 pm »
Burnley will give Chelsea a tough game. If Chelsea are not motivated, they will drop points. We almost did not beat them if Lovren and Klavan had not conjured up an injury time winner

I can see it being a draw, especially as Chelsea might care more about the FA cup match on Sunday.

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1586 on: April 19, 2018, 06:53:47 pm »
Great odds, that. Means if you stick £5 on, you'll win £0.
😁

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1587 on: April 19, 2018, 08:15:27 pm »
If Chelsea win which it looks likely, we need to be beating WBA this weekend.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1588 on: April 19, 2018, 08:43:55 pm »

We do. For all the people saying 'it's done' we will be 7 ahead on the same number of games played with a visit to the Bridge to come and a pain in the arse game at Stoke between the two legs of the semi-final.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1589 on: April 19, 2018, 08:51:05 pm »
This match has been so easy for Chelsea
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1590 on: April 19, 2018, 08:52:09 pm »
We do. For all the people saying 'it's done' we will be 7 ahead on the same number of games played with a visit to the Bridge to come and a pain in the arse game at Stoke between the two legs of the semi-final.

Home to Stoke Alan, if that makes a difference? I want it done before we play Chelsea but if the worst hapo bs and they beat us it’ll most likely still be in our hands meaning a win at home to Brighton on the last day would be enough. Most people would probably have taken that near the start of the season although hopefully it won’t come to that.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1591 on: April 19, 2018, 08:52:56 pm »

Exactly that, win this game coming up and at least draw with Stoke, and we should be fine regardless of what happens against them and the last game.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1592 on: April 19, 2018, 09:38:14 pm »
We definitely need to win at West Brom if we want to rest players against Stoke. Otherwise we have to go strong in both games.

Offline Legoland

• Plazzie Brick Lid :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #1593 on: April 19, 2018, 09:49:02 pm »
Wtf is this idiot Owen yapping about. The more he talks, the dumber he seems.

His post match analysis of the Chelsea V Bournemouth game is making me  :butt :butt :butt :butt :butt

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1594 on: April 19, 2018, 09:52:48 pm »

Yep far from over as many are saying. A single slip up and it's squeaky bum time.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1595 on: April 19, 2018, 09:55:49 pm »
Home to Stoke Alan, if that makes a difference? I want it done before we play Chelsea but if the worst hapo bs and they beat us it’ll most likely still be in our hands meaning a win at home to Brighton on the last day would be enough. Most people would probably have taken that near the start of the season although hopefully it won’t come to that.

Sorry yes - writing while working.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Online BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #1596 on: April 19, 2018, 10:23:02 pm »
Yep far from over as many are saying. A single slip up and it's squeaky bum time.
Fully expecting Chelsea to win all of their remaining games with the possible exception of the one against us. Ordinarily I’d expect us to win all of our remaining games with the possible exception of the match against them, but the champions league games maybe an obvious issue. WBA is the biggest game of the season, win that and we’re there.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1597 on: April 19, 2018, 10:25:27 pm »
Fully expecting Chelsea to win all of their remaining games with the possible exception of the one against us. Ordinarily I’d expect us to win all of our remaining games with the possible exception of the match against them, but the champions league games maybe an obvious issue. WBA is the biggest game of the season, win that and we’re there.

We only need two more wins, and essentially with our goal difference a win and two draws should be enough.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 10:30:13 pm by sms1986 »

Online BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #1598 on: April 19, 2018, 10:27:18 pm »
We only need two more wins and essentially with our goal difference a win and a draw should be enough.
It would be a win and two draws, a win and one draw doesn’t guarantee it even with goal difference. It’s completely in our hands which is great, but we can’t take our eye off the ball.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1599 on: April 19, 2018, 10:29:02 pm »
It would be a win and two draws, a win and one draw doesn’t guarantee it even with goal difference. It’s completely in our hands which is great, but we can’t take our eye off the ball.

We won't be taking our eyes off the ball, Klopp won't allow it from his team.