Author Topic: Virgil Van Dijk (Cpt)  (Read 1482588 times)

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Virgil Van Dijk
« Reply #11360 on: March 11, 2023, 03:14:23 pm »
he played well.
But the lack of responsibility for the 1st goal was awful
thought it was Robertson's job & didnt want to run
Could have scored 2 and created one. He played one fantastic pass to Robbo and we could have scored there. Also, should have got one (at least) from a set piece. His lackadaisical defending for the first goal set the tone. Not good enough for a captain.

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11361 on: March 11, 2023, 03:31:27 pm »
Poor display, needs to bury that header and it's a different game

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11362 on: March 11, 2023, 04:43:08 pm »
Bournemouth had one shot, Konate and Virgil were the only two to play well. No protection in front or down the sides.
It's all about opinions but I thought they both had poor games.

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #11363 on: March 11, 2023, 05:26:33 pm »
Not his greatest performance in a red shirt for sure. Bullied by Solanke ffs.

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #11364 on: March 11, 2023, 05:39:07 pm »
Said in the post match thread that I think it was his worst performance in a red shirt. Caught out of position 3 times, & out paced 3 times in the first half alone. Seemed to really struggle against Solanke. He's someone we should be monitoring really closely. I dont personally think he's going to get better than he has been/is. His contract expires in 2025. If someone offers £60m+ then I think we'd be daft to not consider it considering he'll be 32 y/o in the summer.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 05:40:56 pm by Always_A_Red »
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Online Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11365 on: March 11, 2023, 06:11:47 pm »
Absolutely Rolls Royce of a player in his prime, made playing so casual. Looks good when it works, but frustrating to watch today

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11366 on: March 11, 2023, 06:58:32 pm »
I think his drop off in form this season has been significant. He still has the ability to have stellar games & a 70% peak VvD is still a good player. However his level and consistency have dropped. Is it a 1 season thing or just part of his potential decline? Who knows? He is 32 at the start of next season though. Mid to long term planning to find a successor needs to happen soon.

He’s far from the only player this accusation can be pointed at. However he’s one of the few players lots of fans don’t really want to say the uncomfortable truth about based on this season’s performances as a whole.

Don't think he ever regained his top speed after the knee injury. Before that, he was at the point where almost nobody took him on in a footrace, they knew they would lose the ball. These days players know they have a chance.

Playing behind a midfield that protected the defensive line more, he could be excellent imo. Asking him to defend wide, track players high up the pitch every game, he'll get exposed more and more.

Up to us to assess his current level properly and tailor the tactics to suit.

What we have, there's still a fair bit to work with, but for a while now we haven't been making good calls imo in terms of having a plan of how the new signings fit in, how to make the best of declining older players, contract decisions. Just hope this decline in decision-making quality isn't terminal.

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11367 on: March 11, 2023, 07:14:33 pm »
Don't think he ever regained his top speed after the knee injury. Before that, he was at the point where almost nobody took him on in a footrace, they knew they would lose the ball. These days players know they have a chance.

Playing behind a midfield that protected the defensive line more, he could be excellent imo. Asking him to defend wide, track players high up the pitch every game, he'll get exposed more and more.

Up to us to assess his current level properly and tailor the tactics to suit.

What we have, there's still a fair bit to work with, but for a while now we haven't been making good calls imo in terms of having a plan of how the new signings fit in, how to make the best of declining older players, contract decisions. Just hope this decline in decision-making quality isn't terminal.

This. The fact the coaching staff are expecting him to play like prime VVD off the back of his ACL injury, still playing every single minute of every game like he did pre injury and still defend 1v1 all game vs top level attackers is fucking mental and I have to say Klopp/Pep need to shape up on that front. It’s driving me up the wall how often we have 2 defenders scrambling back for every fucking counter attack playing ‘smaller’ teams.

You can see he’s not the same player. Change how you approach him tactically.  :butt

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #11368 on: March 11, 2023, 08:04:06 pm »
This. The fact the coaching staff are expecting him to play like prime VVD off the back of his ACL injury, still playing every single minute of every game like he did pre injury and still defend 1v1 all game vs top level attackers is fucking mental and I have to say Klopp/Pep need to shape up on that front. It’s driving me up the wall how often we have 2 defenders scrambling back for every fucking counter attack playing ‘smaller’ teams.

You can see he’s not the same player. Change how you approach him tactically.  :butt

You are not a Liverpool fan.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11369 on: March 11, 2023, 08:08:02 pm »

He isnt wrong though is he/she.

Its not just on Trent/VVD its been like this all season the tactics might be good but we dont have the players to perfect them.

I think most of us can see it just a waiting game now to see who comes in.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #11370 on: March 11, 2023, 08:11:17 pm »
He isnt wrong though is he/she.

Its not just on Trent/VVD its been like this all season the tactics might be good but we dont have the players to perfect them.

I think most of us can see it just a waiting game now to see who comes in.

You play for a top team, then you defend 1v1.

That is how it is. You defend for a top team and get no midfield protection then that is different.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline M7 Heckler

• Anny Roader
« Reply #11371 on: March 11, 2023, 08:25:30 pm »
Fucking Pickford.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11372 on: March 11, 2023, 08:33:37 pm »
You play for a top team, then you defend 1v1.

That is how it is. You defend for a top team and get no midfield protection then that is different.

Yes but VVD isnt the same player and is getting caught out most games.

I agree the midfield has been shit 90% of the season.

We are paying the price for just "making do" with what we have.

Hopefuy every out of contract player is shown the door.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11373 on: March 11, 2023, 08:38:18 pm »
Don't think I've seen him play worse that that display today. Looked like Skrtel in that wrestling match with Solanke.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, but we absolutely need a top quality centre half this summer.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11374 on: March 11, 2023, 08:38:47 pm »

:lmao

You’re literally in every thread complaining about the midfield and or Henderson, the midfield is no reason for why he was losing 1v1 duels vs fucking Solanke today. You live on a different planet.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #11375 on: March 11, 2023, 08:40:16 pm »
:lmao

You’re literally in every thread complaining about the midfield and or Henderson, the midfield is no reason for why he was losing 1v1 duels vs fucking Solanke today. You live on a different planet.

Thank fuck someone else sees this madness.

Phuk yoo

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11376 on: March 11, 2023, 08:52:52 pm »
The annoying thing about Virg lately is that I can read a few lines from the match day comms thread about the goal and can see exactly what happened; sometimes it's like making visible effort is bad for the brand or something. Virgil is no longer top of class and his arrogant, laconic style makes him look silly when he misjudges a situation. The difference is that prime Virgil didn't misjudge.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #11377 on: March 12, 2023, 12:43:53 am »
Had a mare today.

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11378 on: March 12, 2023, 02:55:16 am »
The annoying thing about Virg lately is that I can read a few lines from the match day comms thread about the goal and can see exactly what happened; sometimes it's like making visible effort is bad for the brand or something. Virgil is no longer top of class and his arrogant, laconic style makes him look silly when he misjudges a situation. The difference is that prime Virgil didn't misjudge.

I see what you're getting at but you're just wrong, cause Virgil!

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11379 on: March 12, 2023, 03:23:40 am »
I see what you're getting at but you're just wrong, cause Virgil!

Hate to say it, but Virgil doesn't play like a world class defender anymore. Actually most of the time he just looks pretty ordinary, intermixed with moments where his decision making is not very good at all. Not his best season. Hopefully he can regain his earlier composure and dominance.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11380 on: March 12, 2023, 06:50:49 am »
Hate to say it, but Virgil doesn't play like a world class defender anymore. Actually most of the time he just looks pretty ordinary, intermixed with moments where his decision making is not very good at all. Not his best season. Hopefully he can regain his earlier composure and dominance.

If I had to put him up in comparison to most PL centerbacks now, he would probably still come out on top even with a down season which included a mild hamstring injury. In the league, we are still the 3rd best in terms of goal conceded, and we are much better this season with him in the team than without in terms of goals per game.

The second half he marshalled the Bournemouth strikers quite efficiently, but of course most will think that is his job. But I really do think he’s still among the best CB’s out there at the moment, and really should be appreciated a bit more.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11381 on: March 12, 2023, 08:12:22 am »
There were signs of the old Virgil yesterday, just bossing everyone around them.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #11382 on: March 12, 2023, 08:20:37 am »
There were signs of the old Virgil yesterday, just bossing everyone around them.

The Virgil of Groningen..? He was dreadful
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11383 on: March 12, 2023, 08:53:43 am »
If I had to put him up in comparison to most PL centerbacks now, he would probably still come out on top even with a down season which included a mild hamstring injury. In the league, we are still the 3rd best in terms of goal conceded, and we are much better this season with him in the team than without in terms of goals per game.

The second half he marshalled the Bournemouth strikers quite efficiently, but of course most will think that is his job. But I really do think he’s still among the best CB’s out there at the moment, and really should be appreciated a bit more.

I get the sentiment, and there's probably an element of that we've taken his ability for granted for such a long time. He is, on his day, the best defender in the world, so I definitely hope that he can regain even a fraction of that earlier form because he'll still be better than most. However, the mistakes I see him making are the areas where he really stood out in the past for me. He looks so casual and non-competitive in 1vs1's now that I actually put strikers with a chance against him. It used to be that the other team could go 2 vs 1 or even 3 vs 1 and as long as that 1 was VVD and Ali behind him, no way they are scoring. His ability to stay with his man, to be positionally always right is just so far off his usual that it's concerning. His distribution also seems to have suffered. I think it's just a confidence thing and I'm hoping that it won't be long before he's back to his best.

Offline dramared

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #11384 on: March 12, 2023, 01:25:31 pm »
Looked to have a lost some pace since his knee injury and then since his hamstring injury he looks like he is stuck in the mud.
Hope its just him being cautious to let the injury fully heal.
Without his pace I think he does lack confidence in many aspects of his game, he always knew if he got something wrong he could recover with pace.

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #11385 on: March 12, 2023, 01:35:52 pm »
When you're as fast as he was pre-injury, you didn't have to worry as much about your positioning as the pace 9/10 was going to bail you out.

Now we are seeing a side of his game that is no way near as developed as the other parts. He starts off doing things right yesterday for their goal by showing him down to the touchline. Even without pace and against a pacier player, you just carry on with the run and for some reason he stops. After an ACL injury you're just never going to have that explosive standing start pace.

If the attacker cuts back again, there are players covering and the attacker loses some momentum in that movement. But man, do not show them down the channel and then roll the red carpet out for them.

This guy was one of the best defenders I'd ever seen pre-injury. That Pickford challenge has absolutely robbed him of the traits that made him so dominant.
JFT97

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11386 on: March 12, 2023, 02:06:23 pm »
When you're as fast as he was pre-injury, you didn't have to worry as much about your positioning as the pace 9/10 was going to bail you out.

Now we are seeing a side of his game that is no way near as developed as the other parts. He starts off doing things right yesterday for their goal by showing him down to the touchline. Even without pace and against a pacier player, you just carry on with the run and for some reason he stops. After an ACL injury you're just never going to have that explosive standing start pace.

If the attacker cuts back again, there are players covering and the attacker loses some momentum in that movement. But man, do not show them down the channel and then roll the red carpet out for them.

This guy was one of the best defenders I'd ever seen pre-injury. That Pickford challenge has absolutely robbed him of the traits that made him so dominant.

Which traits are those? People are being hyper critical. Virgil won us the league. I can't ever remember him having to use his pace except against Traore. He exudes calmness, maybe sometimes too much, but so does Alisson. It's called composure, no?

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #11387 on: March 12, 2023, 02:12:15 pm »
No as bad as people are making out. Not great on the goal, but OK apart from that. Should have scored. We've been far better in defence since he came back from injury.

It's not all about his major injury either. He's getting older and will naturally decline.

Fix the midfield and then judge him.
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #11388 on: March 12, 2023, 02:13:25 pm »
Didn't understand that defending for their goal, seemed like he was banking on Robbo's effort who couldn't be arsed making a sliding tackle to block the cross. It was a monumental fuck up and as a captain he should do better.

Having said that, I don't think he's the problem, he was the only one who put any agression into the tackles and in the air he was commanding as always. Shame about those missed headers.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11389 on: March 12, 2023, 02:43:10 pm »

What is this bullshit? Last season he was really good and he himself said this season he might;ve played to o many games hence the injuries. He's also 32 come this summer.

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11390 on: March 12, 2023, 02:43:51 pm »
He still has size, presence and positioning but he's become far too casual. He needs someone faster next to him to do his running for him these days. This will probably get pelters but I wonder if we'd be better off with someone who's more forceful on the pitch like Robertson as captain too.

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11391 on: March 12, 2023, 02:49:39 pm »

Nunez thinks you're talking nonsense. He has still got his explosivess pace after doing his ACL. Even Gomez still had his after his ACL too.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11392 on: March 12, 2023, 02:51:33 pm »
Joe is still as quick as ever after two horrific injuries. The last one was actually worse than Virgil's.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11393 on: March 12, 2023, 04:07:42 pm »
Yep and plenty of NFL players have come back just as quick. The issue is that you might not, and VVD probably hasn't. Age makes a difference here too of course.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11394 on: March 12, 2023, 04:10:30 pm »
He's still quick enough for a centreback. Most aren't even as quick as him. It's more about us employing realistic tactics and Virg himself to stop being so lax in some situations.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11395 on: March 12, 2023, 04:19:13 pm »
Maybe he isnt arsed?

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #11396 on: March 12, 2023, 07:30:02 pm »
Poor yesterday? Yep. But just a week ago, imperious. It seems exaggeration is increasingly the norm, and nuance and balance are no longer critical tools.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11397 on: March 12, 2023, 07:31:33 pm »
Poor yesterday? Yep. But just a week ago, imperious. It seems exaggeration is increasingly the norm, and nuance and balance are no longer critical tools.

He was arsed last week. This week the commitment comes into question.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #11398 on: March 12, 2023, 07:51:14 pm »

He gets really pissed off with what's in front of him and perhaps that affects his game, not that it should do. Reminded me a bit of a late career Carragher yesterday with his attitude and pissed off at everyone else but playing shit himself. A week ago he was great so part of it is down to standards, but he's got to lead by example. Ultimately he was at fault for the goal and should have scored at the other end, so if he does his job that's 1-0 the other way at half time.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #11399 on: March 12, 2023, 08:14:22 pm »

Well I won’t question his commitment, and I think it’s unfair to do so. I think it’s tempting and easy to suggest that because of hugely different results and performances just a week apart, it has to be commitment or attitude that’s the cause.

If you take this fractured season as a whole, you’ll see a far greater number of anomalous results than is the norm - for all Premiership teams. Too much has been asked of the players, and Klopp himself has recognised this in more than one comment.

The fact is, FIFA and the Qatar winter W.C nonsense has fucked up the domestic season, and not just here, but across the globe.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin