Author Topic: VAR! Video Assistant Referee & Shite Referees in General  (Read 1392734 times)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: VAR! Video Assistant Referee - It's not for everyone / Bit shit innit?
« Reply #14880 on: May 18, 2022, 12:21:29 pm »
After 17 years, we really shouldn't be surprised at this from Atkinson. We've long known he's a referee who "likes to let the game flow" - ie allow teams of cloggers to keep fouling with impunity because he's allergic to blowing his whistle.

Klopp hasn't forgotten the Rashford goal, and there have been plenty of other examples over the years that I'm sure we can all remember.

I don't think he's especially biased against us. We got away with a few last night that other refs would have given as fouls against us.

More a bias against certain styles of play, perhaps - ie any style that's not based on kicking the shit out of your opponent. Atkinson is clearly a bit "old school" - probably wishes he'd been a ref in the 70s, When Footballers Were Real Men.

So it's really just his style of refereeing, ie shit.

Did he just 'let it flow' though? I mean we had the same amount of fouls as Southampton despite having almost three times as much possession. That again suggests to me he was refereeing one team to a different standard.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14881 on: May 18, 2022, 12:52:56 pm »
Did he just 'let it flow' though? I mean we had the same amount of fouls as Southampton despite having almost three times as much possession. That again suggests to me he was refereeing one team to a different standard.

Maybe. I think a large part of the reason we tend to get more fouls against us despite having the majority of possession is down to the way opponents go down like they've been shot whenever one of our players goes anywhere near them, usually clutching their face and/or screaming in agony. Whatever refs claim about clamping down on play-acting, they do seem to be very susceptible to it. But our opponents do it because they're not good enough to cope with us and they know it's often the only way to stop us.

On the other hand, lunge in late with a flying tackle and, well, that's just part of the game, innit?

Atkinson basically has no understanding of the modern game and should have been put out to pasture years ago.

I don't know what VAR's excuse is.

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #14882 on: May 18, 2022, 02:50:10 pm »
I think we should take some acting classes.
Since VAR are going to ignore fouls on us, after the event, let us stand in front of the ref and re-enact the play.

Similarly, for dives against us, rather than staying quiet or smiling wrily and getting frustrated, the thing to do is to go in front of the ref and re enact the dive.
Let Henderson do the talking (England team, voice of reason etc). Without fail, re-enact every shocking call in game itself.
If the referees ignore it, the cameras wont, as it is meme material. At the very least, will attract a lot of views online. Let "visual satire" showcase the utter ineptitude.
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #14883 on: May 18, 2022, 03:21:55 pm »
There's no conspiraceh

Explain the City handball at Goodison.

No way on fuckin earth is that just down to incompetence. The three officials involved in that bewildering chain of events are at the very peak of their profession.

There was no way they were giving that penalty against Man City - and they bent and broke their own laws in order to deny it.

It was blatant bias/favouritism/institutionalised corruption -

They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #14884 on: May 18, 2022, 03:47:55 pm »
If people think match fixing and bribary doesn't happen in football they are the ones wearing tin foil hats. Football is big business and a multi billion pound industry and all business is susceptible to corruption Even smaller leagues are effected by it.

RTE news : Arrests made in League of Ireland match-fixing probe

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2022/0518/1299687-arrests-made-in-league-of-ireland-match-fixing-probe/

That's match-fixing for betting. Who benefits from Liverpool not winning the league to such an extent that they would organise a massive conspiracy of referees and the entire VAR system?

Refereeing has always been subject to error and unconscious bias. VAR just adds another ref to the mix.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline davidlpool1982

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14885 on: May 18, 2022, 03:51:05 pm »
Explain the City handball at Goodison.

No way on fuckin earth is that just down to incompetence. The three officials involved in that bewildering chain of events are at the very peak of their profession.

There was no way they were giving that penalty against Man City - and they bent and broke their own laws in order to deny it.

It was blatant bias/favouritism/institutionalised corruption -

Or they're just all fucking shite and between the 3 of them got confused over than handball rule and the interpretation of the sleeve shirt by which point it was easier to avoid controversy in their eyes and not give the pen.

Every fan on the country thinks refs are biased against them, look at the bitters and their letters to PGMOL. The fact is Riley got away with any sort of oversight so all the shite refs just carried on being shite because there is never any consequence to it. They just get to say either nothing at all, or "oops" and nothing ever happens anyway. The VAR refs are usually the ones they deem too shite to actually ref a game, so why we hope that with camera's they'd suddenly become not shite. They probably paw at the screen like Zoolander and Hansel over a MacBook.

The Everton thread is full of everyone taking the piss over the Blues claiming everyone is against them despite all evidence to the contrary. The Arsenal thread had a good laugh over Artetas breakdown after the North London Derby last week. Why would this be the actual conspiracy, the one against us, that is real?

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #14886 on: May 18, 2022, 06:05:39 pm »
I get that "conspiracehh" may be one tin foil too far.
But considering the amount of money involved in betting syndicates, it is highly probable that at least a few refs make money that way.

Already happened in cricket and football many times over.

Would explain the bizarre decisions/ non decisions but no systematic bias against any 1 team.
Also, a general trend of decisions favoring big 6 teams may also be supported by this model as they would have majority of fans (esp tv audience) and therefore unlikely to be pissed off long term at getting favourable calls (on average) via  bizzarro  refs in cahoots with the betting mafia.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 06:15:57 pm by macmanamanaman »
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #14887 on: May 18, 2022, 06:12:46 pm »
Specific things e.g Number of penalties or penalty between x and y min of game, or number of fouls or offsides etc in a game, may lead to big financial outcomes in the betting world.

It is not inconceivable that certain refs are (at least low key) in this murky business.
I remember being shocked to read about well known names in Cricket being involved when it all came out...

If the above is happening,  it would explain how some calls are too strange to comprehend but at same time, over the course of a season, no one team is targeted.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #14888 on: May 19, 2022, 05:21:52 am »
VAR has gone from a novel concept to a septic reality... Could have been so much better with non-morons in charge. 
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14890 on: May 19, 2022, 03:18:52 pm »
So the two refs on the 'FIFA shortlist' of VAR officials were.....Atwell and Kavanagh :lmao

Fuck me sideways, what a shocker they've not been selected.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14891 on: May 19, 2022, 03:47:07 pm »
It could also be incompetence couldn't it? Leaving aside the bias argument and its merits we're all pretty sure most of ours refs are a bit rubbish so it's not a surprise when rubbish refs make rubbish calls. And what's become clear is VAR can actually accentuate ineptitude rather than avoid it. I'm not wanting to go into specific examples where you say, 'no one is that incompetent' but when we consider bad calls we do need to consider the obvious conclusion, that they're bad! Which isn't to say bias isn't a thing too - that conversation has been had between the 2 of us enough.

How can this be incompetence?  Its is physically impossible for that ball to have hit him solely above the sleeve line they use for handball. The first was a photo taken by a photographer, the bottom picture is two views seen by the TV cameras. Now the side angle from the front can be called inconclusive, but the rear view clearly shows its hitting his forearm. That is straight up cheating.

Jurgen YNWA

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14892 on: May 19, 2022, 03:54:15 pm »
How can this be incompetence?  Its is physically impossible for that ball to have hit him solely above the sleeve line they use for handball. The first was a photo taken by a photographer, the bottom picture is two views seen by the TV cameras. Now the side angle from the front can be called inconclusive, but the rear view clearly shows its hitting his forearm. That is straight up cheating.

That could be forgiven if his arm was by his side or just a bit out but the fact of where his arm is, makes that call even more ridiculous, whether above the cuff or below!

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #14893 on: May 19, 2022, 04:09:16 pm »
We all know that was a handball. 100%

However, the weak excuse from VAR could be it is not clear an obvious that a piece of the ball didn't touch the sleeve so therefore it's not a handball.

Just like goal line tech, all of the ball must cross the line. So none of the ball can touch the sleeve.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14894 on: May 19, 2022, 04:15:50 pm »

However, the weak excuse from VAR could be it is not clear an obvious that a piece of the ball didn't touch the sleeve so therefore it's not a handball.

Just like goal line tech, all of the ball must cross the line. So none of the ball can touch the sleeve.

Is that written in the handball law?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14895 on: May 19, 2022, 04:20:10 pm »
Is that written in the handball law?

No.

But it may be how VAR officials interpret the law.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14896 on: May 19, 2022, 04:20:14 pm »

You've just made that up. If you clamp the ball to your head with your hand, its still handball, same as if you clamp it to your shoulder

No.

They cannot interpret it that way
Jurgen YNWA

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14897 on: May 19, 2022, 04:23:47 pm »
You've just made that up. If you clamp the ball to your head with your hand, its still handball, same as if you clamp it to your shoulder

Take a ball, put it on your elbow. Is any of the ball touching your sleeve? No

Yet from a camera angle a 1/3 of the ball will be above the sleeve line.

Does this give VAR officials a grey area? That's what i'm thinking is going on. I don't know it as a fact.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14898 on: May 19, 2022, 04:25:54 pm »
Take a ball, put it on your elbow. Is any of the ball touching your sleeve? No

Yet from a camera angle a 1/3 of the ball will be above the sleeve line.

Does this give VAR officials a grey area? That's what i'm thinking is going on. I don't know it as a fact.

So you think anything from the elbow to the shoulder, a ref and a guy watching multiple angles on a screen can't be sure if it's handball or not? Does that not suggest that they shouldn't be in charge of a football match at the highest level?

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14899 on: May 19, 2022, 04:26:26 pm »
No.

:D

Why are you trying to justify that decision when even Mike Riley had to apologise for it...?

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14900 on: May 19, 2022, 04:35:33 pm »
So you think anything from the elbow to the shoulder, a ref and a guy watching multiple angles on a screen can't be sure if it's handball or not? Does that not suggest that they shouldn't be in charge of a football match at the highest level?

All i'm try to do is try to analyze what might be going on.

Only the VAR Ref on the day could explain why he didn't give a handball.

If to determine handball the ONLY part to look at is contact point, then we are getting back to the potential of millimeters determining contact point. And VAR determining contact point, I doubt they can draw lines for it. So it becomes judgmental.

So, change the picture to Joel Matip, the same ball contact, it being near the 90th minute, the score level, and Jesus took the shot...is it still handball? All City fans would be screaming for it. I suspect some Liverpool supporters would claim tha picture shows the ball above the sleeve line, therefore it's not a handball. But maybe i'm wrong about some Liverpool supporters.. ;)

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14901 on: May 19, 2022, 04:41:15 pm »
All i'm try to do is try to analyze what might be going on.

Only the VAR Ref on the day could explain why he didn't give a handball.

If to determine handball the ONLY part to look at is contact point, then we are getting back to the potential of millimeters determining contact point. And VAR determining contact point, I doubt they can draw lines for it. So it becomes judgmental.

So, change the picture to Joel Matip, the same ball contact, it being near the 90th minute, the score level, and Jesus took the shot...is it still handball? All City fans would be screaming for it. I suspect some Liverpool supporters would claim tha picture shows the ball above the sleeve line, therefore it's not a handball. But maybe i'm wrong about some Liverpool supporters.. ;)

You can't argue with what's in front of you unless you are being deliberately obtuse, so yes, it is a handball.

To my knowledge, if ANY part of the ball touches ANY part of the arm below the t-shirt/armpit line, it's a handball.  The image above with Rodri's back to us, there's literally no way someone can say with honesty that it is possibly touching his sleeve. How big do they think the contact point of a football is? It's not a flat surface. It isn't possible for half of the ball to be in contact with an almost straight arm at any one time.

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14902 on: May 19, 2022, 05:00:08 pm »
You can't argue with what's in front of you unless you are being deliberately obtuse, so yes, it is a handball.

To my knowledge, if ANY part of the ball touches ANY part of the arm below the t-shirt/armpit line, it's a handball.  The image above with Rodri's back to us, there's literally no way someone can say with honesty that it is possibly touching his sleeve. How big do they think the contact point of a football is? It's not a flat surface. It isn't possible for half of the ball to be in contact with an almost straight arm at any one time.

I started this a few posts back with:  We all know that was a handball. 100%.

I am not disagreeing with you or others.

All i'm trying to do is understand what logic some VAR refs might use. Especially if they are called to task to explain in private their decision within the PGMOL. Maybe at that point PGMOL agrees with the logic or they don't. We will never know. All we know is the call was shit.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #14903 on: May 19, 2022, 05:08:52 pm »
In reading about it the VAR-FIFA issue is due to PGMOL (surprise surprise) since their instructions to their VAR's is entirely against the grain of what UEFA/FIFA has been advising. So they would either need to retrain while in the middle of club games or just not be invited. So they're not being invited.

I just can't stress enough how continuing to employ Mike Riley to lead this charade is really detrimental to the league as a whole. You can take away VAR and it would still be a shit show as the person running it is clearly incompetent running anything beyond the complexity of a fruit stand.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14904 on: May 19, 2022, 05:12:27 pm »
In reading about it the VAR-FIFA issue is due to PGMOL (surprise surprise) since their instructions to their VAR's is entirely against the grain of what UEFA/FIFA has been advising. So they would either need to retrain while in the middle of club games or just not be invited. So they're not being invited.

I just can't stress enough how continuing to employ Mike Riley to lead this charade is really detrimental to the league as a whole. You can take away VAR and it would still be a shit show as the person running it is clearly incompetent running anything beyond the complexity of a fruit stand.
That's interesting, how typical of PGMOL to think they know better.

I think you're being very generous to Riley there.

Offline Wullie160975

• Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14905 on: May 19, 2022, 05:16:18 pm »

But they referee UEFA CL games during weeks, so surely that makes no sense.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #14906 on: May 19, 2022, 05:23:53 pm »
But they referee UEFA CL games during weeks, so surely that makes no sense.

You mean they VAR UEFA CL games, right? Obviously not well enough it seems.

Offline Wullie160975

• Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14907 on: May 19, 2022, 05:26:00 pm »
You mean they VAR UEFA CL games, right? Obviously not well enough it seems.

My bad - thought the original post had said no referees, not no VAR (which wouldn't be a surprise either)

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14908 on: May 19, 2022, 05:28:14 pm »

All i'm trying to do is understand what logic some VAR refs might use. Especially if they are called to task to explain in private their decision within the PGMOL. Maybe at that point PGMOL agrees with the logic or they don't. We will never know. All we know is the call was shit.

There is no logical reason within the laws of the game that explains their decision. They simply didn't want to give the penalty.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #14909 on: May 19, 2022, 05:32:07 pm »
My bad - thought the original post had said no referees, not no VAR (which wouldn't be a surprise either)

No worries. Currently when English refs VAR in the CL or EL they do it to a different standard than what the PGMOL advises so your point still stands.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14910 on: May 19, 2022, 05:37:13 pm »
There is no logical reason within the laws of the game that explains their decision. They simply didn't want to give the penalty.

I really cannot see any reason why a VAR, from Ashton-U-Lyne, who 100% does not support City but is believed to be a Utd supporter, would not give a penalty that would allow Liverpool to catch Utd on 20 titles, which is the thing, along with the Quad, Utd fans fear the most.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14911 on: May 19, 2022, 06:04:22 pm »
The whole sleeve thing was such an idiotic excuse and they would shift goalposts to suit whatever narrative they want to peddle. What if someone was wearing a long sleeve top, or other kit designers have shoter/longer sleeves

I'm fucked off that more isnt made of the injustices of it all, which will most likely prevent a quadruple. Just as I was pissed off that Kompany wasn't sent off which most likely have us winning the league unbeaten

I'd love Klopp to state the facts, but he's the bigger, better man

Online redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #14912 on: May 19, 2022, 06:45:13 pm »

It’s true that Riley’s reign as General Manager of PGMOL has been a shocking period for how our game is refereed.
He completes 13 years next month and I can’t see where the push for change is going to come from.

Riley must have thought Brexit was his chance to ignore how European leagues use referees in the var room and has used his power to instruct his men to review incidents differently. Any clear differences have not been explained.

FIFA say it’s entirely against the grain of what they advise. That’s not a small difference. I would suspect Riley has dreamt up terms like Clear and Obvious as a mechanism to protect the men in the middle as it seems they can do no wrong in his eyes. Even when he issues an apology over a missed hand ball no action is taken against the officials who cocked up. They no longer have to make a sole decision on the spot. There is a chance to get it right with VAR.

The fact that none of our referees were chosen for the last World Cup and no VAR officials this time doesn’t seem to generate any call for an improvement in how Riley runs his organisation.

Are we stuck with a group that can carry on without any pressure at all on Riley for improvement?
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #14913 on: May 19, 2022, 06:55:06 pm »

we all know the saying “All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing.”

juventus put a spin on that “All that is necessary for match fixing to succeed is that observers categorically discount that possibility.”

even if you remotely consider that match fixing is possible what then are you looking for? because in the juventus case there was so much nuance to how they went about it, the majority of it would've been impossible to identify due to its subtlety, and even if identified by an attentive mind, the very subtlety of the calls would scream 'tinfoil hat' to all other observers.

just to get the conversation going you would need calls that are totally inexplicable without any degree for error in that they are clearly wrong and blatantly obvious that all onlookers cant fathom the decision made. which makes observers think this is not incompetence, it's something else - much like shearer did on motd regarding ryan fraser being wiped out by ederson and nothing given.

there are four of these in the league this season (they've been spoken about in depth and flagged in this thread already so im not going over them again) and the handball you speak of is one of them. we're not talking 'kane sending off' 'jota pen at spurs' level - that could be match fixing for all we know but even those aren't blatant enough to rule out incompetence (even tho they are certainly well above the threshold for some of the match fixing carried out by juventus, ie even more obvious decisions).

of those four decisions, 3 directly benefitted man city, 1 'declined' a decision that would've benefitted liverpool - in short, all the decisions went in the favour of one team in a two horse title race

officials can't simply hand teams points, eg juventus could be awarded a dodgy penalty but they still have to score it, so the juventus model was focused on favourable decisions that benefitted juventus to make the path to the title smoother, less difficult. it wasn't simply outrageous decisions (only so many of those before even the stalwarts say 'wait a minute...'), it was nuanced to the degree that 'soft' yellows would be handed out to players seen as dangerous to juventus so by the time they played juventus they wouldnt be eligible. it was so insidious in it's breadth that even some of those in the media were bought off to paint a picture of juventus actually being hard done-by regarding decisions, not the polar opposite, which was the true case. then you add in schedule manipulation and as you can see, it's subtle, not easy to identify in the first place, near impossible to be absolute in conclusion.

it's a long story but the short version goes the corruption implemented by juventus was discovered by accident and the rest is history. why by accident? for one it was very subtle in many of its elements, it's a very difficult thing to prove unequivocally by match decisions alone (maybe even impossible) and it absolutely relied on “All that is necessary for match fixing to succeed is that observers categorically discount that possibility.”

the italians did just that until authorities thought they smelt a rat with gambling and football, then accidentally uncovered corruption, once that possibilty was entertained and investigated it was found permeating italy's most prestigious league.

'All i'm trying to do is understand what logic some VAR refs might use'

the use of the word logic here refers to valid reasoning - factor in the possibility of match fixing and see what valid reasoning you come up with...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 09:38:27 am by Armand9 »
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #14914 on: May 27, 2022, 02:38:10 pm »
Specific things e.g Number of penalties or penalty between x and y min of game, or number of fouls or offsides etc in a game, may lead to big financial outcomes in the betting world.

It is not inconceivable that certain refs are (at least low key) in this murky business.
I remember being shocked to read about well known names in Cricket being involved when it all came out...

If the above is happening,  it would explain how some calls are too strange to comprehend but at same time, over the course of a season, no one team is targeted.

This seems to be happening all over the place. Would not be surprised at least a handful of officials in each league, a small minority at least, use this as a way to make more money than their regular pay.

"At a later meeting, he said the undercover journalists would need to pay an additional 500 Euros (£430) for every throw-in, corner or free kick they caused.

He said red and yellow cards would be more expensive: 1,000 Euros (£850) for a yellow and 2,000 Euros (£1,700) for a red.

Hermes added: "It's not like, 'you have to lose this match'. It's not like big match-fixing. It's a small thing, very invisible.""

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-61507085
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 02:39:46 pm by macmanamanaman »

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14915 on: May 28, 2022, 05:57:54 pm »
I just hope VAR tonight does not become a controversy.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14916 on: May 28, 2022, 09:23:03 pm »
I just hope VAR tonight does not become a controversy.

.......... here we go.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14917 on: May 28, 2022, 09:23:42 pm »
Offside.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14918 on: May 28, 2022, 09:54:30 pm »
What a fucking load of wank that teams are allowed to fake injuries when we are on top!  Every fucking game it happens - pisses me right off!

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14919 on: May 28, 2022, 10:19:33 pm »
Being reffed like a PL match vs AD.