Author Topic: England's Summer of Cricket 2017 South Africa and West Indies Series  (Read 74761 times)

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
Re: England's Summer of Cricket 2017 South Africa and West Indies Series
« Reply #1400 on: September 9, 2017, 12:12:43 pm »
He's a funny one.

He can be very annoying, but I do miss him when he's not there.

warne or botham?

I don't mind warne myself. But he does like banging on about seamers having "a man at bat pad"

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #1401 on: September 9, 2017, 12:24:11 pm »
warne or botham?

I don't mind warne myself. But he does like banging on about seamers having "a man at bat pad"

Warne is a bit of a dickhead, but he's a dickhead that I can't find myself to dislike. If that makes sense :D

It makes me laugh when he says 'Phwoar! Shot!'...Only for the ball to go straight to the nearest fielder.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1402 on: September 9, 2017, 12:29:53 pm »
Warne is a bit of a dickhead, but he's a dickhead that I can't find myself to dislike. If that makes sense :D

It makes me laugh when he says 'Phwoar! Shot!'...Only for the ball to go straight to the nearest fielder.

haha he does do that with seeming regularity but he's not the only one there though.

"good running.........or maybe not he's been run out!" was a personal favourite. I can't remember who it was now though.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1403 on: September 9, 2017, 02:01:44 pm »
well I stopped watching that football match. seen jimmy get 5 and 6 though, which is nice.

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #1404 on: September 9, 2017, 02:04:34 pm »
I think I'll join you.
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1405 on: September 9, 2017, 04:03:35 pm »
The end of an era.

Henry Bloefeld finished his final stint on TMS (probably).

Huge ovation from the crowd. 

The world of cricket commentary will be less colourful.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #1406 on: September 9, 2017, 04:12:56 pm »
The end of an era.

Agreed - though there are still some fine commentators left.

Cricket so much better than footy for this of course.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1407 on: September 9, 2017, 04:24:13 pm »
Agreed - though there are still some fine commentators left.

Cricket so much better than footy for this of course.

The pace of cricket gives their commentators so much more chance to bring the entire thing to life, unlike in football where they either have to keep up with play or add the other stuff.

Online Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #1408 on: September 9, 2017, 04:48:54 pm »
Ben Stokes certainly gets up opposition noses. Windies nominated Jimmy as England's man of the series. Fair enough I suppose, but surely Stokes' batting plus his 6/22 made him the logical choice?
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1409 on: September 9, 2017, 05:01:45 pm »
blowers got a lap of honour. brilliant.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1410 on: September 9, 2017, 08:35:23 pm »
Ben Stokes certainly gets up opposition noses. Windies nominated Jimmy as England's man of the series. Fair enough I suppose, but surely Stokes' batting plus his 6/22 made him the logical choice?

Even without the additional boost of his 500th, you could hardly argue against Anderson's figures from the series either.

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1411 on: September 9, 2017, 09:49:47 pm »
Thoroughly enjoyable day at lords. Didn't miss much in Manchester by all accounts!

The spontaneous ovation for Blowers when he signed off at 4ish was worth being there for

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1412 on: September 10, 2017, 12:04:24 am »
Thoroughly enjoyable day at lords. Didn't miss much in Manchester by all accounts!

The spontaneous ovation for Blowers when he signed off at 4ish was worth being there for

A great thing to be there for. Very jealous. Sad day. He really looked good today ;D

Online Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #1413 on: September 10, 2017, 02:27:12 am »
Even without the additional boost of his 500th, you could hardly argue against Anderson's figures from the series either.

Oh absolutely.

I'm just remembering the Marlon Samuels "salute", and other demonstrations of Stokes's competitiveness resulting in his being less than endearing to the opposition.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline RobinHood

• Kopite
« Reply #1414 on: September 10, 2017, 04:05:35 pm »
Cook
Stoneman
Root
Stokes
Malan
Bairstow
Moeen
Woakes
Crane/Rashid
Broad
Anderson

That would be my team for Brisbane, Root has to move up the order for me, even if he doesn't really want to. Can't help but feel Moeen is wasted down at 8, I've not got much faith in the batting ability of Broad and Anderson so he's going to be in danger of running out of partners.

Also leggies tend to have more success in Australia than offies do, so Rashid or Crane I would play purely to take 4th innings wickets.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1415 on: September 10, 2017, 04:42:32 pm »
Stokes at 4? That's insane.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1416 on: September 10, 2017, 06:28:50 pm »
Stokes at 4? That's insane.

Does seem too high but he has batted at 5 hasn't he? Him, Bairstow and Moeen all seem quite interchangeable but I wouldn't have any of them above 5.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1417 on: September 10, 2017, 07:18:47 pm »
I'd put Bairstow at 4. He's batted there with success for Yorkshire. I'd certainly go with Root 3. And I'd reintegrate Hameed and hoped he shows enough net form to command the other opener spot.

I'd let Stoneman and Westley watch the Ashes from their living rooms, and I not sure I'd waste an air ticket on Malan either. But I would take Alex Hales.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1418 on: September 10, 2017, 07:20:42 pm »
Stokes at 5 and Moeen at 6 or would you put another batsman lower down?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1419 on: September 10, 2017, 07:22:00 pm »
I'd put Bairstow at 4. He's batted there with success for Yorkshire. I'd certainly go with Root 3. And I'd reintegrate Hameed and hoped he shows enough net form to command the other opener spot.

I'd let Stoneman and Westley watch the Ashes from their living rooms, and I not sure I'd waste an air ticket on Malan either. But I would take Alex Hales.
A tough gig to keep all day and then come in at four?

Where did Stewart bat when he kept?  Five wasn't it? (Although I seem to remember him opening a few times too).
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1420 on: September 10, 2017, 07:23:28 pm »

Where did Stewart bat when he kept?  Five wasn't it? (Although I seem to remember him opening a few times too).

Stewart batted everywhere but opened with Atherton a lot, made two hundreds in Barbados opening I think (although Jack Russell might have kept when Stewart batted at the top of the order).

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1421 on: September 10, 2017, 07:24:10 pm »
Stokes at 5 and Moeen at 6 or would you put another batsman lower down?

No, that would be my option. I'm a great believer in disciplining batsmen by giving them proper positions in the order. Bairstow, Stokes and Mooen are all serious batsmen. You have to treat them as such. Once they start coming in at 8 something slips in their mind if you know what I mean. And Woakes makes a very handy 7 anyway.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1422 on: September 10, 2017, 07:27:04 pm »

Win the toss and solve (half) of the problem then!

You have a point of course. But I'm wondering how many times Bairstow at 7 has had to bat with the tail and then swap pads immediately and keep wicket? That's tough too.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1423 on: September 10, 2017, 07:27:20 pm »
I can't see Woakes doing much with the ball in Aussie conditions but I might be doing him a disservice (wouldn't be the first time!). With Stokes, Ali and Woakes in the top 7 you'd have 7 frontline bowling options which seems overkill.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1424 on: September 10, 2017, 07:28:03 pm »
I can't see Woakes doing much with the ball in Aussie conditions but I might be doing him a disservice (wouldn't be the first time!). With Stokes, Ali and Woakes in the top 7 you'd have 7 frontline bowling options which seems overkill.

So who's your other middle order batsman Nick?

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1425 on: September 10, 2017, 07:32:08 pm »
So who's your other middle order batsman Nick?

No idea! :D

Just playing Devil's Advocate really, I have more questions than answers! Think Malan might get another crack. Hameed did make runs the other day.

I was one batsman missing but would have Cook, Hameed, Root at three. One other batsman, then Stokes, JB, Ali, Rashid, TRJ, Broad Jimmy.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1426 on: September 10, 2017, 07:35:22 pm »
No idea! :D

Just playing Devil's Advocate really, I have more questions than answers! Think Malan might get another crack. Hameed did make runs the other day.

I was one batsman missing but would have Cook, Hameed, Root at three. One other batsman, then Stokes, JB, Ali, Rashid, TRJ, Broad Jimmy.

You're playing Dick Advocaat? Yeah, why not? Everyone else has had a go, and the Dutchies do play a bit of cricket.

Offline asim173

• Main Stander
« Reply #1427 on: September 11, 2017, 12:49:15 am »
Cook
Stoneman
Hameed
Root
Stokes
Bairstow
Ali
Broad
Rashid
Roland Jones
Anderson

That would be the XI for the Ashes IMO.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1428 on: September 11, 2017, 06:44:02 am »
Win the toss and solve (half) of the problem then!

You have a point of course. But I'm wondering how many times Bairstow at 7 has had to bat with the tail and then swap pads immediately and keep wicket? That's tough too.

Or in the case of Dravid, keep for several days whilst captaining, then swapping keeping gloves for batting gloves and batting all innings and carrying his bat, then open again in the second innings. The Oval 2011 was as close to an Atlas performance as I've seen in any sport.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1429 on: September 11, 2017, 07:46:06 am »
Cook
Stoneman
Hameed
Root
Stokes
Bairstow
Ali
Broad
Rashid
Roland Jones
Anderson

That would be the XI for the Ashes IMO.

I just can't see Hameed at three. If he comes back in it'll be to open.

My money is unchanged side starts next test

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1430 on: September 11, 2017, 08:04:32 am »
Unchanged? I'm not convinced Westley will be in the side. He might not even get on the plane.

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1431 on: September 11, 2017, 08:06:46 am »
Unchanged? I'm not convinced Westley will be in the side. He might not even get on the plane.

Not sure that last knock helped the selectors

If there's a change you could put woakes in for westley and shove bairstow and Ali up the order

Offline asim173

• Main Stander
« Reply #1432 on: September 11, 2017, 11:08:59 am »
Not sure that last knock helped the selectors

If there's a change you could put woakes in for westley and shove bairstow and Ali up the order

I don't think Westley should make it, that last knock just wasn't enough.
RE Woakes - do we actually need him? If I was to take another seamer, it would be Wood but he isn't 100% fit so I'd rather another batsmen than another seamer.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1433 on: September 11, 2017, 11:14:36 am »
I don't think Westley should make it, that last knock just wasn't enough.
RE Woakes - do we actually need him? If I was to take another seamer, it would be Wood but he isn't 100% fit so I'd rather another batsmen than another seamer.

Very unlikely Woakes gets left out. He has some experience of playing in Australia, even though it was only T20 I suspect it will count for something. 

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1434 on: September 11, 2017, 11:15:43 am »
Yes, I'd definitely take Wood if he's fit. We need some genuine pace.

I know the selectors have said that they won't be taking anyone who's not yet been tried. I also realise I'm biased. But....my fantasy selection is Ben Coad, Yorkshire's young seamer. Wicket to wicket bowler, quick, accurate and gorgeous action. And 43 wickets at 19 each isn't a bad return for a debut season.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1435 on: September 11, 2017, 11:19:38 am »
His stats are very good, is he quick Yorky? Know nothing about him but Porter at Essex has also taken a lot of wickets this season.

Bowling in Australia on flat pitches with non swinging balls can be tough. That's why in 09/10 we were lucky to have Tremlett to dig it in, less fortunate to have Boyd Rankin try and so the same 4 years later!

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1436 on: September 11, 2017, 11:23:24 am »
His stats are very good, is he quick Yorky? Know nothing about him but Porter at Essex has also taken a lot of wickets this season.

Bowling in Australia on flat pitches with non swinging balls can be tough. That's why in 09/10 we were lucky to have Tremlett to dig it in, less fortunate to have Boyd Rankin try and so the same 4 years later!

He's the second quickest at Yorkshire, marginally behind Plunkett. But he gets more lateral movement than Plunkett. Tall lad, high arm. And 6 for 25 v Lancashire!

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #1437 on: September 11, 2017, 12:09:27 pm »
Yes, I'd definitely take Wood if he's fit. We need some genuine pace.

I know the selectors have said that they won't be taking anyone who's not yet been tried. I also realise I'm biased. But....my fantasy selection is Ben Coad, Yorkshire's young seamer. Wicket to wicket bowler, quick, accurate and gorgeous action. And 43 wickets at 19 each isn't a bad return for a debut season.

Surely the Lions tour to Australia would be a better bet? He would benefit more from playing than carrying the drinks. Having the Lions tour in the same country is actual joined up thinking for once.

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1438 on: September 11, 2017, 12:33:42 pm »
The end of an era.

Some good stuff available as a podcast. There is a Q&A with Henry and him picking his 'Top 5 TMS moments'.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1439 on: September 11, 2017, 12:44:01 pm »
Some good stuff available as a podcast. There is a Q&A with Henry and him picking his 'Top 5 TMS moments'.

This is a good one.

When Geoffrey Boycott met Alice Cooper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPyMTIjEYYA
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258