Author Topic: Saudi Arabia - Friends Of New Balance  (Read 14880 times)

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Saudi Arabia - Friends Of New Balance
« on: March 3, 2017, 09:42:25 pm »
I'm clumsy at best when addressing these issues, so I'll just post the Echo article and say that it makes me more than a little uncomfortable.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/saudi-investment-agreement-announced-liverpool-12687560

Members of the Saudi Arabia royal family are in Liverpool as part of an announce of an “investment agreement” in the United Kingdom.

HRH Faisal bin Turki is part of a delegation visiting Anfield according to the official Twitter account of Saudi football club Al Nassr, where he is the president.

The ECHO understands that members of the Saudi royal family will be guests tomorrow at the Liverpool v Arsenal game, but any investment deal does not involve a stake in the football club but a link-up with club kit providers New Balance.

Indeed the Al Nassr FC club later revealed they had now signed a deal for New Balance to become their official kit provider.

Faisal bin Turki, 43, s the grandson of the late Prince Sultan, who was the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia from 2005 to 2011.

He is the son of Noura bint Sultan, the daughter of Prince Sultan, and has previously worked as an attache in the Saudi Embassy to the United States.

Apologies if this has been addressed in another thread that I've missed.
« Last Edit: March 4, 2017, 01:30:20 am by SP »
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
Re: Saudi Arabia - Friends Of LFC
« Reply #1 on: March 3, 2017, 09:44:23 pm »
I'm clumsy at best when addressing these issues, so I'll just post the Echo article and say that it makes me more than a little uncomfortable.

So the Saudi family is getting into business with our Kit Sponsor, which part makes you uncomfortable?

Offline Jfor83

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: March 3, 2017, 09:45:53 pm »
So the Saudi family is getting into business with our Kit Sponsor, which part makes you uncomfortable?

Why come to liverpool to announce it then?

Offline goalspaytherent

• Just thought of a CT.....then saw the post history.....not gonna bother.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #3 on: March 3, 2017, 09:48:51 pm »
Not sure why this is being announced at Anfield ......thats the oddest part ........

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4 on: March 3, 2017, 09:49:10 pm »

The part where they were welcomed into Anfield despite their human rights issues and being pretty far away from the values we aspire to as a club?

As I said, I'm not massively well equipped to say whether it's right or wrong, but my initial reaction was discomfort.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 3, 2017, 09:49:42 pm »
The part where they were welcomed into Anfield despite their human rights issues and being pretty far away from the values we aspire to as a club?

As I said, I'm not massively well equipped to say whether it's right or wrong, but my initial reaction was discomfort.

Fair enough, just asking.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #6 on: March 3, 2017, 09:51:42 pm »
Fair enough, just asking.
It's cool, mate.  I just realise it's potentially sensitive news and I'm eager not to offend or be an idiot about it.  :)

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 3, 2017, 09:52:18 pm »
It's cool, mate.  I just realise it's potentially sensitive news and I'm eager not to offend/be an idiot about it. ;)

If they were buying into Liverpool itself I would have a few more concerns myself ;)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 3, 2017, 10:02:09 pm »
Whats' the difference between these guy's and DIC of Dubai that everyone wanted a few years back?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #9 on: March 3, 2017, 10:02:59 pm »
Whats' the difference between these guy's and DIC of Dubai that everyone wanted a few years back?

Everyone?
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #10 on: March 3, 2017, 10:04:41 pm »
Everyone didn't want them.  In fact there were plenty vocally against it.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 3, 2017, 10:06:50 pm »
If they were buying into Liverpool itself I would have a few more concerns myself ;)

You've no issue with this? Presumed from your post on the fsg thread the other day about pl owners that you would? Morally questionable decision, no?

Online KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #12 on: March 3, 2017, 10:08:56 pm »

the female kit, bit itchy i reckon.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 3, 2017, 10:11:57 pm »
You've no issue with this? Presumed from your post on the fsg thread the other day about pl owners that you would? Morally questionable decision, no?

I just said I'd have an issue if they were buying part of Liverpool.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 3, 2017, 10:15:36 pm »

Is correct.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 3, 2017, 11:32:10 pm »
So we have members of the Saudi royal family hanging out with people from the alt-right's trainer manufacturer of choice at Anfield.

Modern footy eh?

Offline FrancisB

• Main Stander
« Reply #16 on: March 3, 2017, 11:33:23 pm »
What is their difference with DIC?

It depends if you count it in dollars or oil reserves. I'd say there are several hundred billion dollar difference between DIC and the Saudi Royal Family.

The part where they were

welcomed into Anfield despite their human rights issues and being pretty far away from the values we aspire to as a club?

have some prunes and figs.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 3, 2017, 11:37:56 pm »
What is their difference with DIC?

It depends if you count it in dollars or oil reserves. I'd say there are several hundred billion dollar difference between DIC and the Saudi Royal Family.

have some prunes and figs.

A lot of people were not keen on DIC either, there was a lot of discontent when they were in for us last time as well.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 3, 2017, 11:44:47 pm »
The conundrum.  Sadly the vast amount of money that has been earned by multi-billionaires has come at a human cost be it Russian, American, Middle East, Chinese etc.   We want more investment so we can compete but can we have it both ways?
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline FrancisB

• Main Stander
« Reply #19 on: March 3, 2017, 11:46:16 pm »
A lot of people were not keen on DIC either, there was a lot of discontent when they were in for us last time as well.

I'm glad. Now we can all enjoy our shiny, north american owners. Should I also say "white", or would that be a step too far? IMO this aspect should also be discussed eventually.

Offline AaronSingh25

• Never Going to Grow Old. Dis-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 3, 2017, 11:50:23 pm »

Which country, and who decides which is a morally correct country? The UK with a few wars that were borderline illegal in the past decade, many eyes certainly might not be morally correct for some Alternatively the United Arab Emirates with their slave labour racket might appear to concern a few? Are China okay? And let's not get started on the USA ....

I suggest you relax.
« Last Edit: March 3, 2017, 11:52:39 pm by AaronSingh25 »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #21 on: March 3, 2017, 11:50:27 pm »
I'm glad. Now we can all enjoy our shiny, north american owners. Should I also say "white", or would that be a step too far? IMO this aspect should also be discussed eventually.
Genuinely not sure what point you're trying to make.  Are you suggesting the only difference between FSG and Saudi Arabia is skin colour?  Or that that's even relevant?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #22 on: March 3, 2017, 11:52:21 pm »
Which country, and who decides which is a morally correct country? The UK with a few wars that were borderline illegal in many eyes certainly might not be morally correct for a country in the middle east, etc

I suggest you relax.
Everyone as an individual decides.  I suggest you let me worry about my own moral boundaries and you worry about yours.

For the record, I wouldn't be keen on LFC being linked with investment from the UK royal family either.  But then I see us as more than just a business.

Edit:  You've altered your post, so just to add that your "two wrongs make a right" logic doesn't sit well with me.  There's a difference between a business investment and the royal family of a morally repugnant state jumping aboard.
« Last Edit: March 3, 2017, 11:54:36 pm by thekitkatshuffler »

Offline Chief Brody

• Living the goosed life. Requires explanation. Works on the 110% scale.
  • Kopite
  • Hi
« Reply #23 on: March 3, 2017, 11:53:31 pm »
I'm absolutely appalled that we would even consider hosting anyone from a country with such a shocking, medieval human rights record.
But if someone wants to bankroll us with nutty amounts of oil money I would consider turning a blind eye.

Offline AaronSingh25

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 3, 2017, 11:54:46 pm »
Everyone as an individual decides.  I suggest you let me worry about my own moral boundaries and you worry about yours.

For the record, I wouldn't be keen on LFC being linked with investment from the UK royal family either.  But then I see us as more than just a business.

I see us more than a business too. But it's not my family, nor a loved one. It's football, entertainment, a passion, with a love to see my team and the city i love win major titles.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: March 3, 2017, 11:56:23 pm »
Not sure why this is being announced at Anfield ......thats the oddest part ........

Because New Balance make our kits....

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #26 on: March 3, 2017, 11:56:45 pm »
I see us more than a business too. But it's not my family, nor a loved one. It's football, entertainment, a passion, with a love to see my team and the city i love win major titles.

It's more than a business to you, it's also an avenue towards reflected glory.  Got it.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 3, 2017, 11:57:35 pm »
New Balance is a load of shite anyway and supports Trump.

Saudi Arabia is a horrible country, and the entire west should be ashamed by our constant partnerships and deals with them
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline AaronSingh25

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: March 3, 2017, 11:58:27 pm »

So go on then ... which country for you is morally okay to invest in LFC?  ::)

« Last Edit: March 4, 2017, 12:01:30 am by AaronSingh25 »

Offline rojo para la vida

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #29 on: March 4, 2017, 12:04:25 am »
The world is getting more fucked up if we have to have these around our club, I'd prefer if they'd stay well away.

When they start treating women as equals, stop lopping heads off, embrace democracy and enter the 21st century, they'll deserve a chance to go for deals like this but until then they should be told to take a walk. By engaging with regimes like this our club is cheapened and while in this era that's not difficult to achieve, this is one association that takes us down another peg.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: March 4, 2017, 12:09:38 am »
I'm absolutely appalled that we would even consider hosting anyone from a country with such a shocking, medieval human rights record.
But if someone wants to bankroll us with nutty amounts of oil money I would consider turning a blind eye.

And that is exactly what would happen.   If someone from Saudi invested ten billion in LFC tomorrow how many fans would honestly be arsed about how many innocent heads were lobbed off?
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 4, 2017, 12:17:41 am »
New Balance is a load of shite anyway and supports Trump.

Saudi Arabia is a horrible country, and the entire west should be ashamed by our constant partnerships and deals with them

+1

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 4, 2017, 12:23:21 am »

Then are you really appalled at their visit?

Offline SuperBario

• Main Stander
  • Internet Terrorist (Retired)
« Reply #33 on: March 4, 2017, 12:40:25 am »
Disgusted that LFC, and our supporters, would consider accepting investment from this morally repugnant regime. The ideological and financial supporters of ISIS. Atheist murdering, adulterer stoning, homosexual hanging, women hating antisemitic fascists. And some of you would welcome that into our club, for a better central defender? Liverpool? Really.? Hang your heads in shame. Socialists? My arse.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #34 on: March 4, 2017, 12:45:28 am »
People still like having gas in their cars better.

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #35 on: March 4, 2017, 12:48:33 am »
Disgusted that LFC, and our supporters, would consider accepting investment from this morally repugnant regime. The ideological and financial supporters of ISIS. Atheist murdering, adulterer stoning, homosexual hanging, women hating antisemitic fascists. And some of you would welcome that into our club, for a better central defender? Liverpool? Really.? Hang your heads in shame. Socialists? My arse.

We are not taking investement from the Saudi's, have you actually read the proposed deal?

It is with New Balance.

Offline SuperBario

• Main Stander
« Reply #36 on: March 4, 2017, 12:52:51 am »
Let me correct that for you:

Disgusted that LFC, and our supporters, would consider associating the name of our club with this morally repugnant regime. The ideological and financial supporters of ISIS. Atheist murdering, adulterer stoning, homosexual hanging, women hating antisemitic fascists. And some of you would welcome that into our club, for a better central defender? Liverpool? Really.? Hang your heads in shame. Socialists? My arse.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: March 4, 2017, 12:54:26 am »
Is this another 'China Buys Liverpool' thing?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #38 on: March 4, 2017, 12:58:35 am »
Let me correct that for you:

Disgusted that LFC, and our supporters, would consider associating the name of our club with this morally repugnant regime. The ideological and financial supporters of ISIS. Atheist murdering, adulterer stoning, homosexual hanging, women hating antisemitic fascists. And some of you would welcome that into our club, for a better central defender? Liverpool? Really.? Hang your heads in shame. Socialists? My arse.

I assume you might have a pension or if you live in the uk ISA's.

Ever wondered where they invest their funds?

Offline SuperBario

• Main Stander
« Reply #39 on: March 4, 2017, 01:05:37 am »
I know exactly where my finances are invested. Not in Saudi Arabia. So what's your logic? Everyone else turns a blind eye to murder of apostates, so why shouldn't LFC? Because we are better than that. Are you?