Author Topic: 2017 Formula 1 Thread  (Read 217315 times)

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 2017 Formula 1 Thread
« Reply #960 on: May 14, 2017, 02:00:30 pm »
That was close, no Hamilton has to do 28 laps on them softsbwhiskt Vettel is on the mediums

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #961 on: May 14, 2017, 02:01:54 pm »
Bye Valteri

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #962 on: May 14, 2017, 02:08:52 pm »
Superb Lewis
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #963 on: May 14, 2017, 02:31:42 pm »
Massa gave Lewis a helping hand there

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #964 on: May 14, 2017, 03:05:10 pm »
Ahem, as I said Vettle win!!!

Brilliant drive form Hamilton though...

Clearly pushing to the limit the whole way...  they out thought Ferrari

Very exciting race... unexpectedly
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #965 on: May 14, 2017, 03:08:46 pm »
Sensational drive from Lewis there against the odds

Fantastic, what a man!!!
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #966 on: May 14, 2017, 03:16:58 pm »
Good race that. Shame kimi and verstappen went out lap one. Thought bottas was terrible today, way off the pace.

Vettel still leading into Monaco GP

Online Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #967 on: May 14, 2017, 03:17:15 pm »
Sensational drive from Lewis there against the odds

Fantastic, what a man!!!

Bullshit.  Hamilton won due to a combination of a delay for Vettel in the pits, Mercedes stopping under the virtual safety car and Bottas holding Vettel up.  Hamilton drove well, but yet again Ferrari were slow on strategy and that's what cost Seb the race.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #968 on: May 14, 2017, 03:19:08 pm »
Bullshit.  Hamilton won due to a combination of a delay for Vettel in the pits, Mercedes stopping under the virtual safety car and Bottas holding Vettel up.  Hamilton drove well, but yet again Ferrari were slow on strategy and that's what cost Seb the race.

Absolutely superb from Hamilton. Gutsy.

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #969 on: May 14, 2017, 05:23:14 pm »
Can't wait to see the highlights looked like a Brill race.

Well done Hammo
YNWA

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #970 on: May 14, 2017, 05:31:05 pm »
Why did Vettel (or his team) choose to go out on mediums when Lewis changed to softs?

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #971 on: May 14, 2017, 06:06:27 pm »
Why did Vettel (or his team) choose to go out on mediums when Lewis changed to softs?

The rules state you have to use two different compounds during the race, you can't do the whole race on just soft tyres.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #972 on: May 14, 2017, 06:15:00 pm »
Great race! Fantastic drives from Hamilton and Vettel, and a great team drive from Bottas when he was holding Vettel up.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #973 on: May 14, 2017, 08:42:57 pm »
Interesting hearing Hamilton talk..

Saying that Nora,lily you are at 80% much of the time to preserve tyres, but today's race was all about going flat out all the time...  it showed too which is good..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline babraham

• blincoln. Likes to have man crushes cos he's so pretty, oh so pretty (vacant).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #974 on: May 14, 2017, 09:29:38 pm »
Ferrari had the faster car but Mercedes beat them on strategy.

I thought after the first lap that the race would be a procession but it ended up being really exciting!
The imbecile formerly known as babraham. But now called babraham again! Though still an imbecile. Sadly.

Klopp: "We have to change from doubters to believers...NOW"

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #975 on: May 14, 2017, 09:40:03 pm »
The rules state you have to use two different compounds during the race, you can't do the whole race on just soft tyres.

Thanks! I'm dumb, I knew that the rule was in place a few seasons back, but thought they removed it

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #976 on: May 15, 2017, 09:57:21 am »
Everyone keeps saying Hamilton pitted under VSC if you watch it ends before he even gets to his team. I think he obviously saved time compared to when Vettel pitted but if they brought Hamilton in the lap before he wouldn't have even had to pass him as the whole pit stop would have been done under the VSC.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #977 on: May 15, 2017, 11:08:46 am »
was a few things

Vettel maybe should have gone to mediums and first stop

also Bottas rode shotgun for hamilton and cost Vettel a lot of time.

Hamilton on the softs left Vettel a sitting duck on the medium
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline 50 Pence

• Thanks to a slightly better exchange rate, he's a higher value rapper...
  • Kopite
« Reply #978 on: May 15, 2017, 05:09:13 pm »
I also think Mercedes waited as long as possible before bringing Hamilton in under the VSC fearing that if they brought him in at the start of the VSC, Ferrari would just have brought Vettel in as well. They played it well I thought. Bottas did a great job as well seeing as that engine had done all the races so far this season
I wish I'd be a bit more spontaneous. Sometimes I feel like going out, stealing a traffic cone, putting it on my head and saying, "Look at me, I'm a giant witch."

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #979 on: May 15, 2017, 05:51:45 pm »
Surprised to see Hamilton still favourite for the title with b365 judging by the speed of Ferrari or at least for the main 2 drivers to be closer. For starters the ferraris have the speed and hunger, Bottas will most likely take more points off Lewis than Kimi will off Vettel, plus seb already has a lead

Currently    Ham - 1.66     Vet - 2.37

YNWA

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #980 on: May 15, 2017, 07:25:06 pm »
Ferrari had the faster car but Mercedes beat them on strategy.

I thought after the first lap that the race would be a procession but it ended up being really exciting!

I think both cars were pretty much evenly matched to be honest, Vettel pulled out a two second lead at the start but that's all it ever was.

Bodes well for the rest of the season. Shame red bull are so far off them

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #981 on: May 15, 2017, 08:40:14 pm »
Surprised to see Hamilton still favourite for the title with b365 judging by the speed of Ferrari or at least for the main 2 drivers to be closer. For starters the ferraris have the speed and hunger, Bottas will most likely take more points off Lewis than Kimi will off Vettel, plus seb already has a lead

Currently    Ham - 1.66     Vet - 2.37

Possibly because the general opinion is that Mercedes are better at in-season development that Ferrari and it's pretty evenly matched with 2 wins each between Hamilton and Vettel so far.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #982 on: May 15, 2017, 09:26:07 pm »
I also think Mercedes waited as long as possible before bringing Hamilton in under the VSC fearing that if they brought him in at the start of the VSC, Ferrari would just have brought Vettel in as well. They played it well I thought. Bottas did a great job as well seeing as that engine had done all the races so far this season

Think after the first three seconds of his excellent start, Bottas did a poor job overall today. Could have overtaken Hamilton, but instead backed out and ended up causing two DNFs (he got lucky it wasn't three including him). Yep, he held up Vettel a bit but he only really pulled one defensive move - which was decent, and had the desired effect, but he shouldn't have been so far back that he would be in position to hold up Vettel.

Of course though - with the benefit of the hindsight of knowing his engine was going to go - it was more of less the best possible race from him, from Mercedes' perspective. Took out one of Hamilton's rivals and Verstappen, who could have made the first lap more dangerous for Hamilton. Then protected Hamilton by being slow. Then got two thirds of a race worth of data on the upgrade. I'm sure they'll take it.

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #983 on: May 15, 2017, 10:25:09 pm »
Possibly because the general opinion is that Mercedes are better at in-season development that Ferrari and it's pretty evenly matched with 2 wins each between Hamilton and Vettel so far.
Yeah but hamilton is also driving against a merc, could be wrong but im not sure seb will be racing a ferrari much
YNWA

Online Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #984 on: May 15, 2017, 10:48:40 pm »

That's the more sensible, practical explanation.

It's still early days but my gut feeling is that over the season there will be more races where Bottas helps out Hamilton like on the weekend (and also in Russia when he stopped Vettel from getting a win on a weekend where Hamilton was struggling) than there will be races where Kimi is able to do the same favour for Vettel.

In more abstract terms I think that whilst for me there is little to choose between the two in terms of raw talent/speed Hamilton maybe has a slight edge in terms of recent experience in racing for world championships. Obviously Vettel has been there and done it himself and I'm not suggesting that he's forgotten that experience or 'gone soft'. But in a season where it looks at the moment like it is going to come down to the narrow margins I do think it will be a factor that Vettel is going to have to get himself back into that title-winning mentality, whereas Hamilton has been in that frame of mind for the last 3 years

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #985 on: May 16, 2017, 01:45:05 pm »
Anyone listened to the podcasts here: http://www.f1strategyreport.com/?

Seems like it'd be pretty in-depth detail which gives the nerd in me hot flushes.  I'll download them anyway, see how they are.  At least there's only 5 so far.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline babraham

• blincoln. Likes to have man crushes cos he's so pretty, oh so pretty (vacant).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #986 on: May 16, 2017, 04:12:27 pm »
I think both cars were pretty much evenly matched to be honest, Vettel pulled out a two second lead at the start but that's all it ever was.

Bodes well for the rest of the season. Shame red bull are so far off them
With every passing race this feels more and more like the historically exciting kind of season that people will talk about for decades. I honestly can't remember the last time I enjoyed F1 this much.
The imbecile formerly known as babraham. But now called babraham again! Though still an imbecile. Sadly.

Klopp: "We have to change from doubters to believers...NOW"

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #987 on: May 16, 2017, 04:44:42 pm »
With every passing race this feels more and more like the historically exciting kind of season that people will talk about for decades. I honestly can't remember the last time I enjoyed F1 this much.
Ferrari are definitely on it

Red Bull scrapping for leftovers

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #988 on: May 16, 2017, 08:15:43 pm »
Yeah but hamilton is also driving against a merc, could be wrong but im not sure seb will be racing a ferrari much

No I don't see Kimi getting close too often. I think Bottas will do Hamilton a few favours this season, any one-twos for the Mercs are more likely to be Hamilton wins and a few 2nd places for Bottas will eat into Vettel's points total. I also think Ferrari are more likely to cock-up strategy than the Mercs are.

In more abstract terms I think that whilst for me there is little to choose between the two in terms of raw talent/speed Hamilton maybe has a slight edge in terms of recent experience in racing for world championships. Obviously Vettel has been there and done it himself and I'm not suggesting that he's forgotten that experience or 'gone soft'. But in a season where it looks at the moment like it is going to come down to the narrow margins I do think it will be a factor that Vettel is going to have to get himself back into that title-winning mentality, whereas Hamilton has been in that frame of mind for the last 3 years

I think Hamilton is the more talented driver, however he's also the one more likely to let his emotions get the better of him.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #989 on: May 19, 2017, 11:21:41 am »

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 11:32:52 am by Hellrazor »

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #991 on: May 19, 2017, 11:34:39 am »
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2017/5/f1-2017-game-iconic-cars-codemasters.html

if anyone is interested

the 1991 jordan should be there imo

WLR was having a lot of fun on F1 2016 until little miss WLR appeared a few weeks ago. Was a shame they removed additional content of the older cars and tracks, but since were on the subject would love it of they included Imola, was always a favourite of mine as a kid both in terms of watching the actual race and driving in some of the older F1 games.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #992 on: May 19, 2017, 11:42:40 am »
WLR was having a lot of fun on F1 2016 until little miss WLR appeared a few weeks ago. Was a shame they removed additional content of the older cars and tracks, but since were on the subject would love it of they included Imola, was always a favourite of mine as a kid both in terms of watching the actual race and driving in some of the older F1 games.

i would love to see a race on that now to see the speed and layout from the old double left handed rivazza turn down to tamburello

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #993 on: May 19, 2017, 12:09:37 pm »

i would love to see a race on that now to see the speed and layout from the old double left handed rivazza turn down to tamburello

The diagrams don't really do it justice to be honest as there was a lot of elevation change, quite steep downhill to the first Rivazza and pretty steep uphill around Tosa if I member correctly (its scary how driving around these circuits on a game sticks in the mind after all these years!)
Thinking is overrated.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #994 on: May 19, 2017, 12:51:32 pm »
The diagrams don't really do it justice to be honest as there was a lot of elevation change, quite steep downhill to the first Rivazza and pretty steep uphill around Tosa if I member correctly (its scary how driving around these circuits on a game sticks in the mind after all these years!)
yeah i remember than down hill rivazza. Stefano Modena or Nicola Larini had a huge accident there around 1989-90.

uphill was just after the sharp left at Tosa, looked daunting. then i think you kinda brake at the top for a right left chicane

between turns 8 and 9 was downhill too iirc
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 12:56:01 pm by Hellrazor »

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #995 on: May 20, 2017, 10:13:21 pm »
alonso's just smashed it in the weird first quali system for the indy 500.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #996 on: May 20, 2017, 10:14:51 pm »
Should be in the top nine with that run; Very impressive  8)
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #997 on: May 20, 2017, 10:25:46 pm »

The run up the hill out of Aqua minerale....

One of the best bits of F1 track..

And the run down to Rivazza..

You could smell the tyres burning and the Ferrari V12s screaming even through the TV...

Bring back imola...!
W

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #998 on: May 20, 2017, 10:43:00 pm »
Brutal crash for Sebastien Bourdais.
Good news is that he was moving in the car almost straight away.
Hope he's ok  :(
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #999 on: May 20, 2017, 10:45:03 pm »
that really was some shunt. quickest of all up until that point too!