Author Topic: 2017 Formula 1 Thread  (Read 216856 times)

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: 2017 Formula 1 Thread
« Reply #760 on: April 15, 2017, 05:12:20 pm »
It's been glossed over a bit due to the performance of Bottas but what a great performance by the Renaults and in particular Hulkenberg.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #761 on: April 15, 2017, 05:30:35 pm »
Yeah nice to see Enstone break the Q3 hoodoo. Palmer messed up his engine setting so might have done even better.

Merc have admitted over the team radios that they have this super engine setting for Q3.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #762 on: April 15, 2017, 05:39:39 pm »
Someone's had an engine mode they've been keeping quiet all weekend..

The Mercs seemed off the pace and ended up quite a distance ahead.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #763 on: April 15, 2017, 05:53:42 pm »
Someone's had an engine mode they've been keeping quiet all weekend..

The Mercs seemed off the pace and ended up quite a distance ahead.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #764 on: April 15, 2017, 05:54:44 pm »
What do these engine modes actually do?

Does it just alter the fuel air mix?  The pressure on the turbo?

How do they actually work?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #765 on: April 15, 2017, 06:13:34 pm »

My understanding is that it alters the fuel mix. It wouldn't surprise me if it was a lot more complex than that though with the fuel mix still being the main thing.

Whatever happened to the guy (Adamski?) who worked at one of the teams? He'd probably be able to answer this question.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 06:15:32 pm by sminp »
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #766 on: April 15, 2017, 06:15:43 pm »

Speed increase .

change to its power unit ?
Increaed bhp more on the dyno ?

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #767 on: April 15, 2017, 06:27:25 pm »
My understanding is that it alters the fuel mix. It wouldn't surprise me if it was a lot more complex than that though with the fuel mix still being the main thing.

Whatever happened to the guy (Adamski?) who worked at one of the teams? He'd probably be able to answer this question.
He's at Mercedes now.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #768 on: April 15, 2017, 06:32:11 pm »
Great effort by bottas there. Mercedes too quick over one lap. Raikonnen isn't good enough

Noone looks good driving a car with understeer. Seems a bit hyperbolic

Was great fun on the sky coverage. Just as the biases english commentator was saying 'at what point does bottas feel disheartened that he's not getting near hamilton (at which point Botta was about 0.050 behind!)

Said to my mate that Bottas would get pole before Q3 started, and after that I knew it'd happen. British bias is always hilarious, especially when it comes back to bite them on the arse.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 06:35:59 pm by Classycara »

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #769 on: April 15, 2017, 06:40:32 pm »
Great lap by Bottas. Hamilton was up on his second run then lost 2 tenths in the middle sector I think, and that was it, Bottas by a few hundredths. Great for him to get his first pole.

Surprised at the gap to Ferrari. 4 tenths is enormous for a team that splt the Mercs a week ago. Cant imagine theyve all of a sudden fallen behind, so wouldnt discount them being involved tomorrow. But a little worrying if they have more tracks/conditions where they cant match the Mercedes on one lap pace.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #770 on: April 15, 2017, 06:48:30 pm »
Toto Wolff thought that Ferrari had their balance set up to preserve the rear tyres rather than for an electric lap, and more set up to be race ready (able to go longer first stint).

If Vettel doesn't split the two Mercs early, it's gonna be difficult though

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #771 on: April 15, 2017, 09:29:26 pm »
Noone looks good driving a car with understeer. Seems a bit hyperbolic

I don't see the hyperbole, he's consistently 2-300 tenths off his team mate and even slower in race trim. Infact he had one less set of supers because he went through an extra set in quali 1.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #772 on: April 15, 2017, 10:19:54 pm »
I don't see the hyperbole, he's consistently 2-300 tenths off his team mate and even slower in race trim. Infact he had one less set of supers because he went through an extra set in quali 1.

So on the occasions Raikkonen outperformed Vettel last season, did that make Vettel worse than 'not good enough'?

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #773 on: April 16, 2017, 06:12:38 am »
So on the occasions Raikkonen outperformed Vettel last season, did that make Vettel worse than 'not good enough'?

Key word occasions.

Feel free to compare every qualifying session and race performance since they've been teammates though, I think one has been consistently down. If ferrari want to have a stab at the constructors then they need to be a little closer

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #774 on: April 16, 2017, 09:23:11 am »
In fairness kimi out qualified seb more often than not last season. Kimi was ahead in the championship most of the season.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #775 on: April 16, 2017, 11:41:08 am »
In fairness kimi out qualified seb more often than not last season. Kimi was ahead in the championship most of the season.
Yeah he did, especially the latter part but seb consistently finished races higher 10 to 3. And if you combine both quali and race finishes last year seb has a higher overall score.

I like raikonnen but in the early part of this season he's just been too down in qualifying where Vettel has split the Mercedes and now he finds himself behind a red bull. Plus Vettel has looked competitive in race trim yet Kimi isn't as much so.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #776 on: April 16, 2017, 12:15:27 pm »
Kimi tends to struggle in wet dry conditions. I'll admit this season he looks a bit off colour. Needs some big performances. He hasn't won in yonks

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #777 on: April 16, 2017, 12:29:04 pm »
Agreed, he does. Think he'll do well today. He's had a slow start, but he often does in the first two.

But let's not forget he is a clear number two driver for a team whose tactics were a disaster last season (and have been mixed in first two). This affected Vettel badly last season, and obviously the number two driver suffered even worse.

This season he has started a bit slowly, but we haven't even finished three races. Calling him not good enough is laughably hyperbolic, resorting to extremes to make a point as I said. It's up there with the Sky commentator suggesting Bottas is gonna be feeling demoralised that Hamilton keeps doing better than him, only for Bottas to get pole minutes later.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 12:32:46 pm by Classycara »

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #778 on: April 16, 2017, 01:04:24 pm »
Is he really number 2? At least for a slow start he has still a 4th and a 5th

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #779 on: April 16, 2017, 01:12:28 pm »
Is he really number 2? At least for a slow start he has still a 4th and a 5th

I don't know.I love Kimi, personally, but that's the sense I get from Ferrari. Considering Ferrari messed his China strategy up, and prevented a potential 4th or 3rd finish, I agree it's not the worst results.

Both him and Bottas are feeling their way into the season.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #780 on: April 16, 2017, 01:16:42 pm »
Seems that way

Hopefully goes well today. He usually does well in Bahrain. No wins but something like 8 podiums. He did some jaw dropping bsllsy over takes last year. He kinda botched the start so may have got closer by the end to rosberg

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #781 on: April 16, 2017, 01:18:16 pm »
Seems that way

Hopefully goes well today. He usually does well in Bahrain. No wins but something like 8 podiums. He did some jaw dropping bsllsy over takes last year. He kinda botched the start so may have got closer by the end to rosberg

Starts will be interesting. Don't remember Melbourne, but in China both Ferrari's were sluggish compared to the Mercs - a reversal of last season's starts.

For the sake of the spectacle, I hope someone splits the Mercs at the start

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #782 on: April 16, 2017, 01:54:04 pm »
Toto Wolff thought that Ferrari had their balance set up to preserve the rear tyres rather than for an electric lap, and more set up to be race ready (able to go longer first stint).

If Vettel doesn't split the two Mercs early, it's gonna be difficult though

I think at least one of the Ferraris may go for a 1 stop compared to the Mercs which will have to do 2 with their tyre wear.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #783 on: April 16, 2017, 03:39:46 pm »
Bernie walking round the grid like a lonely old man. Looked very sad

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #784 on: April 16, 2017, 03:41:32 pm »
He's 86

His face has melted, he can't help it
W

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #785 on: April 16, 2017, 03:46:44 pm »
This grid walk with Webber and Coulthard is no better than the past time I tuned in. Honestly I'd fuck Coulthard off, he's too wooden.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #786 on: April 16, 2017, 03:47:17 pm »

Sure his millions will cheer him up

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #787 on: April 16, 2017, 03:47:36 pm »
I love the pre race national anthem procession... - words never uttered by F1 fans

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #788 on: April 16, 2017, 03:48:20 pm »
This grid walk with Webber and Coulthard is no better than the past time I tuned in. Honestly I'd fuck Coulthard off, he's too wooden.

He owns the race package on C4, so that's unlikely mate!

He has good contacts/relationships at least

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #789 on: April 16, 2017, 03:51:49 pm »
Vandoorne not going to start..

Engine failure....

The fourth this weekend for Honda...

Shameful
W

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #790 on: April 16, 2017, 03:52:45 pm »
Van Doorne not racing today. Not even worth pushing for ten to fifteen minutes to get the car out there, even for a test session. Honda should be ashamed. One thing having a terribly slow engine. ANother entirely to have a truly shite engine that is also unreliable

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #791 on: April 16, 2017, 04:02:57 pm »
I bet last night. 2 on vandoorne to be first retirement. 10/1

4 on first retirement to be McLaren 4/1

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #792 on: April 16, 2017, 04:07:33 pm »
Great first lap. Bottas at risk of overthinking defending from Vettel. Smart of Vettel to be all over the back of him, to pressure a mistake.

Red Bulls started pretty well, especially Verstappen, but more importantly both shut up shop, and did a number on Kimi. Kimi needs to get back Massa in first couple of laps.

Massa remains a classy starter in the new conditions

Couldn't tell if Hamilton was slow, or Vettel fast off the line. Suspect it was the latter

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #793 on: April 16, 2017, 04:11:47 pm »
Seeing the start again, Hamilton looked overly cautious going into turn one after last years contact with Bottas

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #794 on: April 16, 2017, 04:16:13 pm »
Bout time, cmon Kimi. Hopefully Bottas holds up the front five long enough for Kimi to join and make it more interesting between the three teams

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #795 on: April 16, 2017, 04:18:43 pm »
Would love to see Verstappen getting wheel to wheel with Hamilton. It looks on

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #796 on: April 16, 2017, 04:20:49 pm »
I'm a bit dubious about this from Ferrari/Vettel. Am prepared to be proven wrong

Hope West London Red is right about Raikkonen trying one stop. He's on, if he's managing to preserve the tyres in the clean air right now. Would make for a fun last third of the race

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #797 on: April 16, 2017, 04:23:11 pm »
Vestappen out!!!

Brake failure

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #798 on: April 16, 2017, 04:23:29 pm »
Great stop by Seb and brake failure for max!

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #799 on: April 16, 2017, 04:23:49 pm »
Fuck, that's annoying. Probably a safety car too. Was hoping for some good clean racing, not shite pit stop overtakes