Author Topic: 2017 Formula 1 Thread  (Read 217280 times)

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
Re: 2017 Formula 1 Thread
« Reply #560 on: March 17, 2017, 09:52:31 am »
I know McLaren were short of funds but really they should have seen this coming. How many times has someone come into F1 giving it the big bollocks, making ridiculous claims as to how competitive they will be after 1, 2, 3 seasons only to find themselves still unable to complete a GP and finding themselves at the back of the grid most weeks. The problem is the longer this continues and the longer they spend at the back of the grid, the harder it becomes to find sponsors and you get caught in a vicious cycle.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #561 on: March 17, 2017, 10:10:01 am »
I know McLaren were short of funds but really they should have seen this coming. How many times has someone come into F1 giving it the big bollocks, making ridiculous claims as to how competitive they will be after 1, 2, 3 seasons only to find themselves still unable to complete a GP and finding themselves at the back of the grid most weeks. The problem is the longer this continues and the longer they spend at the back of the grid, the harder it becomes to find sponsors and you get caught in a vicious cycle.

The thing is Honda aren't exactly new to this, they've proven they can create a competitive engine previously, and were seemingly backing this with some massive funds too - so there really should be no good reason they shouldn't at least be competitive by now.

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #562 on: March 17, 2017, 10:37:02 am »
The thing is Honda aren't exactly new to this, they've proven they can create a competitive engine previously, and were seemingly backing this with some massive funds too - so there really should be no good reason they shouldn't at least be competitive by now.

True, but the current generation of engines are very different from the ones they had so much success with in the 80's, and even from the ones the Brawn team used (which I think was Honda's last outing in F1?)
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #563 on: March 17, 2017, 11:16:15 am »
If they had free rein they probably would have been much closer. But the testing restrictions mean that you cannot spend across the gap. They effective are limited to throwing no more resources than Mercedes at the engine, so they are chasing a moving target whilst being unable to accelerate to catch up. They have been utterly killed by being a year late to the party.

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #564 on: March 17, 2017, 12:16:41 pm »
True, but the current generation of engines are very different from the ones they had so much success with in the 80's, and even from the ones the Brawn team used (which I think was Honda's last outing in F1?)
yeah they built the brawn and walked away. A merc was bolted in for the engine
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #565 on: March 21, 2017, 10:20:25 am »
thinking of betting on mclaren or either driver not to finish

surely that car wont make it to the line

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #566 on: March 21, 2017, 11:42:40 am »
thinking of betting on mclaren or either driver not to finish

surely that car wont make it to the line

I'd be tempted to say one if not both might not even make the start.
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Online paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #567 on: March 21, 2017, 11:47:26 am »
I'd be tempted to say one if not both might not even make the start.
hill in 97 springs to mind. he was in danger of not making the grid (in his first race as world champion) which would have been embarrassing. He literally got the car kicking and screaming into the race and after all that it broke down on the warm up lap

alonso is the same this year. as i said above both these guys are wasted in shitbox cars. would be like Messi, Ronaldo or Suarez signing for Sunderland

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #568 on: March 21, 2017, 12:03:52 pm »
They should fuck Honda off, take the financial hit in the short term, bolt in any engine they can lay their hands on and get back to racing!

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #569 on: March 21, 2017, 12:07:17 pm »
They should fuck Honda off, take the financial hit in the short term, bolt in any engine they can lay their hands on and get back to racing!

The "short term", in that situation is literally at least one season. The car would need an enormous redesign, whatever engine they could get wouldnt be as good as the house team, and Honda would want enormous compensation. It'll be McLaren Honda until at minimum 2018.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #570 on: March 21, 2017, 06:52:27 pm »
Why the hell didn't Honda use Mugen??
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #571 on: March 22, 2017, 02:47:58 pm »
http://archive.is/ttSJx

footwork and porsche

you have to read this disaster

mclaren remind me of it

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #572 on: March 22, 2017, 02:49:53 pm »
The "short term", in that situation is literally at least one season. The car would need an enormous redesign, whatever engine they could get wouldnt be as good as the house team, and Honda would want enormous compensation. It'll be McLaren Honda until at minimum 2018.

Indeed. Makes more sense for them to try and get out of it for next season (they won't) than just get rid now - now only would the financial hit be potentially business ruining, but they'd still end up with a shite car.

Another shite season for McLaren ahead it seems.

Offline OzBomber

• Favourite manager Tommy Tootchel favourite Player Naby 'lid' Kyta
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #573 on: March 23, 2017, 02:48:10 am »
Buzzing to get to the track on Saturday, really hoping things have evened up this season. Already been a good 6 or 7 years since we had multiple teams that could contest for the title, would love for nothing more than to see Ricciardo do a shoey on the podium!

Offline eyescream

• ewes'cream
  • Kopite
« Reply #574 on: March 23, 2017, 10:42:43 am »
This can lead to some closer racing:

From Autosport.com
Formula 1's suspension row is unlikely to escalate to a protest at the Australian Grand Prix, after Red Bull and Mercedes were asked to change elements of their 2017 designs.

The controversy over suspension systems blew up over the winter when Ferrari sought clarification from the FIA on the legality of concepts that were pre-loaded to cleverly help a car's aerodynamic performance.

While Ferrari's original letter was based around a theoretical idea it wanted to pursue, it was widely understood that its real motivation was to challenge clever designs that Mercedes and Red Bull had been running.

Following a final clarification from the FIA ahead of testing last month that made it clear suspension systems should not be designed to deliberately help aerodynamic performance, the governing body inspected the designs of all the teams during the pre-season running in Spain.

The FIA was clear that teams had to prove that their clever suspension systems were not designed to help the car's aerodynamics, and concepts that Mercedes and Red Bull had wanted to run did not fully comply and had to be changed.

FIA race director Charlie Whiting said in a media briefing on Thursday at the Australian Grand Prix: "You are not allowed to have a suspension system that affects the aero performance of the car in anything other than an incidental way.

"We wanted to see whether the suspension is generally suspension or if it is there predominantly for the aerodynamic performance of the car.

"That is the change. We have been focusing far more on that this year.

"If a suspension system behaves asymmetrically, then there is not a very justifiable reason for behaving like that - if a suspension system goes down at one speed and comes back at a different speed.

"If they are not able to convince us then they are not able to use it."

It is unclear how much of an impact the suspension decision will have on Red Bull and Mercedes, but it is known that Mercedes did not run its trick system at every race last year so it was not essential to its performance.

With Red Bull and Mercedes having been asked to make changes ahead of the weekend, Whiting said on Thursday he was hopeful the matter had been sorted.

"Marcin [Budkowski] and Jo [Bauer] did a lot of work in Barcelona going through all the systems, and the ones we have inspected so far [in Australia] have been as we expected them to be," he said. "We don't anticipate any problems."

It is understood that every team had their suspension checked on Thursday, with all 10 complying ahead of free practice starting on Friday.

Whiting also said that checks of engine systems would take place over the Australian Grand Prix, following an issue regarding oil burn.

Red Bull had asked for a clarification on the matter amid its suspicions that Mercedes had been using the tactic in qualifying for a power boost - something the German car manufacturer strongly denied.

Whiting said: "We are certainly monitoring it. We did quite a lot of work on it in Barcelona.

"We are going to inspect all the oil systems here and we are going to randomly check oil consumption to make sure that it is not being used as fuel."

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #575 on: March 23, 2017, 11:47:08 am »
Good. Cheeky fuckers

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #576 on: March 23, 2017, 12:52:16 pm »
The controversy over suspension systems blew up over the winter when Ferrari sought clarification from the FIA on the legality of concepts that were pre-loaded to cleverly help a car's aerodynamic performance.

While Ferrari's original letter was based around a theoretical idea it wanted to pursue, it was widely understood that its real motivation was to challenge clever designs that Mercedes and Red Bull had been running.

First time in what feels like a long time that Ferrari have shown some nous behind the scenes.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #577 on: March 23, 2017, 01:10:47 pm »
What's the reason for not allowing such a system? I mean if it's clever design (which all teams should be capable of) then surely there shouldn't be a problem?

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #578 on: March 23, 2017, 01:14:23 pm »
What's the reason for not allowing such a system? I mean if it's clever design (which all teams should be capable of) then surely there shouldn't be a problem?

Good question, must be such fine margins. I'm glad they're clarifying in advance and in cooperation with all teams though.

I guess they largely want to avoid a situation like when Brawn had a cake walk of a championship because they got through rules on a technicality

Offline eyescream

• ewes'cream
  • Kopite
« Reply #579 on: March 23, 2017, 03:05:04 pm »
First time in what feels like a long time that Ferrari have shown some nous behind the scenes.

Yes, Ferrari were good at it during Montezemolo time.
RedBull had asked for a clarification of the alleged oil "used as fuel" by Merceds. Poor Toto Wolff.  ;D

Offline eyescream

• ewes'cream
  • Kopite
« Reply #580 on: March 23, 2017, 03:14:33 pm »

May be this:

"You are not allowed to have a suspension system that affects the aero performance of the car in anything other than an incidental way."

Because this type of suspemsion behaves asymmetrically - compresses faster than going back to its normal(unloaded) state. Clever? Yes, but It's against the rules, thus - illegal.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #581 on: March 23, 2017, 03:16:39 pm »
May be this:

"You are not allowed to have a suspension system that affects the aero performance of the car in anything other than an incidental way."

Because this type of suspemsion behaves asymmetrically - compresses faster than going back to its normal(unloaded) state. Clever? Yes, but It's against the rules, thus - illegal.

No, I get that it's against the rules.

I'm kinda wondering the reason behind such a rule being in place in the first place. As in why is suspension offering both suspension and aerodynamic performance restricted?

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #582 on: March 23, 2017, 05:44:37 pm »
No, I get that it's against the rules.

I'm kinda wondering the reason behind such a rule being in place in the first place. As in why is suspension offering both suspension and aerodynamic performance restricted?

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/analysis-what-s-behind-f1-s-suspension-controversy-863068/amp/

Read that if you haven't and maybe draw your own conclusions whether you think it should be allowed. Certainly seems strange to use a suspension to give you better aero performance when desired round certain parts of a track, I mean it's clever as fuck but it's not what a suspension was designed for.

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #583 on: March 23, 2017, 06:24:59 pm »
Haven't seen much of the pre-season testing this year for a change, but Hammo saying the Ferrari's are favourites this season. Obviously he's just playing mind games??

If he's on to something fyi Seb is : 4.5/1
Kimi is : 11/1
Ferrari constructors championship is : 4.33/1

Liking Kimi's odds, maybe not his chances but defo his odds  ;D
YNWA

Online paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #584 on: March 23, 2017, 08:51:34 pm »
Looking up bets

Favorite to retire on pp on Sunday first is...........bottas

What?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #585 on: March 23, 2017, 09:56:00 pm »
What's the bets on Stroll not crashing before the second corner?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #586 on: March 24, 2017, 01:01:31 am »
Green light...and out they trundle.

---

Good to see Alonso's McLaren make it through the installation lap without issue ;D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 01:06:14 am by jackh »

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #587 on: March 24, 2017, 02:28:58 am »
No team radio this year? Haven't heard it yet
YNWA

Offline Legendary_Nines

• Legacy Fan
  • Don't worry, be happy!
« Reply #588 on: March 24, 2017, 02:35:44 am »

Disregard that random blue line.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #589 on: March 24, 2017, 02:49:38 am »

Disregard that random blue line.

Well that all looks very familiar.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #590 on: March 24, 2017, 05:53:48 am »
The Merc looks superb so far...can't wait to see what Lewis might pull out in Q3.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #591 on: March 24, 2017, 06:56:04 am »
Hamilton seems to be half a second quicker than Bottas so far..

He will want to close that gap in qualifying...
W

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #592 on: March 24, 2017, 07:05:55 am »
The Merc looks superb so far...can't wait to see what Lewis might pull out in Q3.

Which merc?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #593 on: March 24, 2017, 07:41:26 am »
Indeed. Makes more sense for them to try and get out of it for next season (they won't) than just get rid now - now only would the financial hit be potentially business ruining, but they'd still end up with a shite car.

Another shite season for McLaren ahead it seems.

Sadly I already knew that. They have got themselves into such a hole now.  :butt
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Antics

• Roadshow
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is what you'll get when you mess with us.
« Reply #594 on: March 24, 2017, 08:36:42 am »
Merc will turn up the engines in Q3 and everyone will call it a year.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #595 on: March 24, 2017, 08:50:40 am »

Ruh roh.

Still think everyone is underselling what they've got, but Mercedes' pace on longer runs was apparently really impressive. We wont see until quali, but it seems everyone up front is reasonably close, or closer than last year.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Online paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #596 on: March 24, 2017, 09:18:24 am »
Merc will turn up the engines in Q3 and everyone will call it a year.
easily quickest in p1 and p2

here comes that sinking feeling

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #597 on: March 24, 2017, 09:45:10 am »
Let's see what the gap is in qualifying...

Still not convinced Ferrari haven't got a bit more in reserve..
W

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #598 on: March 24, 2017, 09:45:55 am »
Well that was somewhat disappointing! Hopefully Ferrari are sand bagging a little and can get closer in race trim!

Hamilton to dominate then?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Online paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #599 on: March 24, 2017, 09:48:41 am »
Let's see what the gap is in qualifying...

Still not convinced Ferrari haven't got a bit more in reserve..
im hoping. dont know what tyres anyone used

i know hamilton had the ultras on on fp2