Author Topic: **SPOILERS** Star Wars: The Force Awakens **SPOILERS** Now with genuine spoilers  (Read 103706 times)

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Seen it.  Reflecting upon it.

I'm being cautious.  This is part of an incomplete trilogy; I don't know the big picture yet, nor the broader context of the events to unfold.  On the whole I kind of enjoyed the film but throughout a part of me was, I suspect, thinking unconsciously: "This is so old".

I loved the humour, and I loved the action.  The chemistry and dialogue between the characters was snappy and energetic - that alone raises it far above the prequels.  But it's still not as good as Empire.

I've not read this whole thread - I'm just posting initial thoughts.  But Rey absolutely rocks this movie.  However, I was gobsmacked at how she can suddenly just "use" the force.  And yeah, I know it takes her three times to work that Stormtrooper but it was still way too easy for me.

I think it can be explained in the internal logic of the film that she was clearly recognised to be immensely powerful and gifted, so was hidden away.  But I would have loved to see more aggression in her interrogation encounter with Kylo Ren.  I would have loved a line in the style of, "Now I know why you wear a mask - you don't want people to see how scared you are," or in the aftermath of their duel, before they're separated: "by the time I'm done with you, you'll need that mask!"

Han Solo's dead?  It was coming; I guessed it the minute he went on the mission.  I realise they were going for tragedy with his death, but to me it seemed just a bit pathetic.  The Solo I know would have been wounded, pinning down stormtroopers to buy his friends time before he pushed the button and blew them all to kingdom come.  But that's a hero's death I suppose and Solo ran from heroics many years before.  It wasn't a coward's death by any means, but a form of redemption of sorts.

Kylo Ren?  He's a little punk.  He's a wannabe; an emo with force powers.  The half-trained Luke from Empire could have taken this kid.  Loved his tantrums mind.  The two stormtroopers, who were, like, "Yeah, let's go a different way."  Also, watching some barely capable kids hack wildly at each other with lightsabers, where they barely understand and appreciate the weapon, was interesting though.

Thought the stormtroopers died a tad too acrobatically - how many pirouette's can a trooper make before he throws himself dramatically against a wall? 

And the silver trooper was, frankly, pathetic.  Stormtroopers are meant to be fanatics.  Loyal to a fault.  Yeah, clearly they've dropped the ball in a few cases, like with Finn but I'm guessing that lass didn't get her silver armour solely through ass kissing.  There is no way she would just shut down the shields.  She'd say, "kill me now, I ain't gonna do it," or hit an alarm button on the console.  Yeah, she might think there would be nothing the rebels - sorry, resistance - could throw at the base regardless, but as a solider and a warrior you don't take that chance.  You sacrifice yourself to the greater cause.

And wtf is R2D2 doing, lying in a self induced coma for decades - and he just HAPPENS to have the critical information to make the map make sense??  (I honestly didn't realise just how small BB8 was - I thought he was R2's size but he's only about half!)

BB8 was great - we got a droid that can ACT.  He's loveable and not overused.

Finn - cracking guy.  Thought he struck just the right chord of comedic and dramatic.  Loved his rapport with BB8.

I wasn't too fussed on the combat - maybe I felt the context was overused.  But I loved the Falcon.  I was openly wincing and groaning at the number of bumps and scrapes that piece of lovable junk took.

Surprisingly I was a little disappointed with aspects of the score, chiefly with the older pieces.  They felt - it's hard to explain, but it felt that they hadn't been composed.  It was more like a fan had just lifted them directly from the original films and pasted them directly into this one.  Same thing with certain sound effects.  Han's blaster made the same noise.  Again, and again, and again.  And again.  There was no variation for distance or environment.  It was just the same noise over and over and over again.

For the most part, I enjoyed the film.  It was good.  Not great, but it was good.  And I suspect, as Nostalgic Critic suggests, that they wanted to show the audience they could make a Star Wars film before they start bringing the franchise onto a new course - which might explain the repetition of so many classic motifs.

So although I might sound like I'm being quite harsh, I'm not.  About the worst thing I could say is that I wouldn't pay to see it in the cinema again, which kind of disappoints me.  I could rabbit on about a multitude of other things but I suspect this is a film that I will grow fonder of as time passes.

Apologies for the long rambling post, but this got me thinking.

I think perhaps because we saw so much good stuff before the film came out (in trailers, etc), there’s a risk of taking for granted or forgetting how much brilliant stuff there is in this film. It gets so many things right, and only a few minor things wrong.

I’m sure it’s possible to sit down and pick apart the original trilogy, noting plot holes and the like (and can you imagine how they would be pulled apart on the internet if they were released now?) - but you don’t do that because everything else is so positive, you never get to the stage of analysing it to that extent, because everything else is done so well that it’s convincing and you believe it, you don’t feel the need to question it – and I think this film is similar. On a basic level the story makes sense and is exciting, the characters are great and you can relate to them, there’s humour, action, tension and emotion. By contrast, the prequels have none of these things and their flaws are so glaring and numerous that they overwhelm the films, and that’s when you really start noticing plotholes and things that don’t make sense.

But there are so many great moments and ideas in this film. Just thinking of a few, I really liked the scene which introduced Rey (even just little things like when her food hydrates); the bit where Kylo Ren has a bit of an episode and trashes a console, then just stops and calmly says to the officer ‘…anything else?’; the detail of the scene in the bar; the bit where Han touches Kylo’s face before he falls from the bridge; the final lightsaber battle and the moment where the ground symbolically opens up between them. The design was great, everything looks and feels real, and I think there’s a lot of details in there which you need to see it more than once to appreciate.

Regarding the lack of explanation of certain plot points, I do agree that we could have had a bit more exposition, but I’ve also read that Abrams was keen for the film not to outstay it’s welcome  – he wanted it to keep moving quickly and stay within about 2 hours 15 mins, like the originals. He didn’t want it to get bogged down with too much exposition and political discussions like the prequels did. There were some scenes cut which might’ve added a bit more context (no doubt they’ll show up on the DVD). There is a lot of background information in things like The Visual Dictionary, but you don’t need to read that stuff to enjoy the film.

What they’ve done is actually quite clever – for the casual fan or those watching their first Star Wars movie, it’s a straightforward good v evil adventure they can enjoy in it’s own right, without having to know any of the history or understand galactic politics (but hinting at a backstory and other things happening outside the film - just as A New Hope did); for the committed fan who wants to know everything, the background information is out there if they want to go looking for it. So both types of fan can enjoy it – it’s accessible for outsiders, but there’s enough depth and background to satisfy more committed fans. Also I do think a lot of things were explained, but only in a brief line here or there, so it was easy to miss things or forget them later on (for example Hux gives a speech saying they are going to destroy the New Republic, but it’s probably not explained in enough detail).

I do think having another ‘superweapon’ to destroy was the weakest part of the plot – even though it was done quite well, it did make that part of the movie predictable. Although this time it wasn’t as simple as just hitting it in one spot and it would blow up – it had to be disabled on the ground and then attacked from outside. Also, as the idea of the First Order is that they are consciously trying to re-create and emulate the Empire, it does make some kind of sense that they would try to do the same thing, only bigger. Plus I suppose it’s a useful storytelling tool – an easy way of establishing how powerful and evil the ‘bad guys’ are. But they could’ve come up with something a bit more original.

However I think it says a lot for this film that the worst we can say about it is ‘that wasn’t very original’, or ‘that could’ve been explained better’ – there’s nothing in it that’s actually bad – unlike the prequels, where whole chunks of it were really poor and / or embarrassing (and the rest was just dull).

I think criticism of it being too derivative of ANH is slightly unfair (superweapon aside). The first film in a trilogy like this is always going to follow a similar pattern – introduce the characters, have them go on a quest or face a challenge, and have some kind of victory or achievement in a way which allows the film to stand alone as a story, but also sets up the next part of the ‘story arc’. Much of the ‘mirroring’ was I think deliberate and necessary – these films always work best when there’s a ‘gang’ of heroes, they have to be thrown together by circumstance, at least one of them is always going to be a ‘nobody’ – so it’s easy to see how they ended up with similar themes to those used in ANH. But I also think it’s deliberate to a degree – to draw a new audience into this world, and to get them to know and care about these characters, in the same way that the first film did.

But they also deserve some credit for some original ideas – yes, Rey is effectively an orphan living on a backwater desert planet, but unlike Luke she doesn’t dream of leaving for a life of adventure - she actually wants to stay, she’s a reluctant hero. Finn’s character is also new - both his background (ex-Stormtrooper) and his personality. Also Kylo Ren is a different kind of villain – he wants to be like Vader but while he is powerful, he’s also raw, unpredictable and conflicted. He’s not a one-dimensional villain like Vader was (at first).

Captain Phasma should’ve been given more to do (presumably she will in the next film). But regarding her agreeing to lower the shields, didn’t Kylo Ren say something to Hux early in the film questioning how effective the Stormtroopers were and Hux said something like ‘my soldiers are impeccably trained’? Phasma’s weakness is something that could be used by Kylo Ren against Hux in the power struggle that’s obviously happening between them (maybe Kylo or Snoke decide that they now need to use the Knights of Ren as the stormtroopers aren't up to it). Also I think maybe they’re setting up a sub-plot of her being out to get Finn in the next film, to take revenge for her humiliation. Maybe she’ll have to do it to prove herself again to the First Order, or maybe she’ll have been demoted or kicked out and will have ‘gone rogue’.

With R2-D2 being ‘asleep’ and having the missing part of the map, I don’t really see that as a plot hole, I read it like this: Luke has gone missing and doesn’t want to be found (at least at first). It makes sense for R2 to know where he is because he was with Luke previously. Luke hides the key piece of information on his whereabouts inside R2 for when the time is right, and has him basically shut down. I assume that Luke was waiting for something to happen – presumably Rey’s ‘awakening’ – and when he sensed that it had happened, that was R2’s cue to ‘wake up’. I’m assuming Luke is either related to Rey or knows who she is. I just see it as a bit of a mystery that they put in there deliberately, to be explained in the next film.

I don’t have a problem with Rey apparently being more powerful than Luke was at the same age – again it’s another mystery that they’ve set up – how and why is she so powerful already? There’s no rule that says everyone has to develop at the same rate, it gives a bit of variety. Luke was not supposed to be the most powerful Jedi ever, just the last one – and he only had to go up against an ageing Vader.

Regarding Han's death - maybe it could've been more of a 'hero's' death - but then if you look at it as him dying trying to save his son, it was quite a noble way to go - and a selfless one, when he'd usually been selfish in the past.

The score was more subdued and lacking many distinct themes – not sure if this was deliberate or it’s just that John Williams has started to run out of ideas (it would be understandable – have a look on Wikipedia at just how many scores he has composed, it’s unbelievable). I read somewhere that Lucas’ directing style leaves more ‘open spaces’ for the score to fill, he uses it to help tell the story and convey the emotions of the characters, whereas Abrams’ style is more about action and the music is there to (literally) underscore the action (and perhaps his directing allows the actors to convey their emotions better, so he doesn’t need the music to do it for them). But if you listen to the soundtrack, there are some good tracks (e.g. The Scavenger, Rey’s Theme, March of the Resistance, The Jedi Steps).

I don’t think we should underestimate the challenge they faced in making this film – until now, there hasn’t been a Star Wars film made that didn’t suck in some way, since 1983. How do you make a modern Star Wars film that manages to have that same sense of wonder and innocence and being able to appeal to anyone, whilst also satisfying a more cynical and demanding modern audience, and the millions of existing Star Wars fans who have very specific ideas about what they want to see? It’s not easy, but overall I think they managed it.

They managed to create new characters that were believeable and likeable and have them interact in a way which wasn’t stiff or clichéd. There wasn’t one bad character in the film (maybe a few underused ones) – whereas with the prequels, there was only Obi-Wan who was OK, Darth Maul looked good but wasn’t really a character – the rest were either bland and unconvincing (Qui-Gonn, Padme) or just rubbish (Jar Jar, Anakin). And this was the funniest of all the Star Wars films, yet the humour worked and never felt out of place.

Overall it was just fun – but with genuine emotion underneath. I’d definitely pay to see it again.
« Last Edit: January 2, 2016, 11:01:21 pm by Rob Dylan »

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Nice post Rob, appreciate your thoughts, I feel similarly.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Andy_lfc

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
snip

Great post!

Theory time - could it have been Kylo Ren who left Rey on Jakku as a child and force wiped her memory? He is struggling still with the call of the light vs the dark and can only assume this has always been a problem for him.

Perhaps he felt a loose connection to her but didn't know what it was (i.e. cousins) when slaughtering the other Jedi trainees, or maybe she was just so young and also female (rare for Jedi)?  For whatever reason he couldn't bring himself to kill her and instead takes her from Luke. Maybe therefore Luke has presumed her to be dead and only begins to feel her presence once the force begins to awaken in her?  Maybe that's why he never went back for her as he never knew where she was or even alive?  Maybe that's why no one has made the connection between Rey and Luke in the film even though we must assume Leah knew Luke had a daughter?

When they are fighting there appears to be a recognition by Ren of who she is - as if he has known her before. Maybe she will become his biggest mistake in that he should have killed her as a child when he had the chance.  There was a definite "Oh shit" look on Ren's face after the ground split open.

I think I am right!  I have convinced myself.

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
Except they look similar ages to me ... your theory might work if Kylo was 20+ years older than Rey but he clearly isn't

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Anyone else think that Hux is named after Aldous Huxley, author of Brave New World?

Also: great post Rob, good points there.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline NatD

• Takes offence at authors and people who eat in restaurants.
  • Legacy Fan
Not been on for a while but saw this thread.

Have only seen it once, and want to see it again in the cinema, but I loved it.  I thought it was perfect - making up for the prequels, a perfect nod to the original trilogy, and introducing the new characters.  I can't see Disney stopping at just 3 movies (excluding the character focused films they have planned) and expect many more.

It was the little things for me.  Did anyone else notice when Finn was in the Falcon in the floor and picking up lots of junk, and the device that Luke used to train with the Light Saber in Ep. 4 was in his hand??  Made me smile that anyway!!!
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
I think perhaps because we saw so much good stuff before the film came out (in trailers, etc), there’s a risk of taking for granted or forgetting how much brilliant stuff there is in this film. It gets so many things right, and only a few minor things wrong.

What did we see though mate?  We saw some special effects and some one or two-line summaries of the characters.  We learned nothing about the plot, which as it turned out was a good thing because the plot was just a mashup of the OT.

I’m sure it’s possible to sit down and pick apart the original trilogy, noting plot holes and the like (and can you imagine how they would be pulled apart on the internet if they were released now?) - but you don’t do that because everything else is so positive, you never get to the stage of analysing it to that extent, because everything else is done so well that it’s convincing and you believe it, you don’t feel the need to question it – and I think this film is similar. On a basic level the story makes sense and is exciting, the characters are great and you can relate to them, there’s humour, action, tension and emotion. By contrast, the prequels have none of these things and their flaws are so glaring and numerous that they overwhelm the films, and that’s when you really start noticing plotholes and things that don’t make sense.

I'd argue the weakness of the prequels becomes glaringly obvious only after the initial rush of watching.  For example, I had no problem with Anakin's and Obi-Wan's lightsaber battle in the cinema.  But it didn't stand up to multiple rewatchings.  I was getting bored and didn't know why until Harry Plinkett's review coalesced my unconscious issues with the film.

Comparatively speaking, I've never questioned the OT because they were products of their era.  If indeed you are making a film in the modern age then imo it should be able to stand up to at least basic scrutiny of that modern age - which includes the Internet. 

Perhaps the prequels just left me so jaded that I unconsciously watched Force Awakens in a hyper critical mode.  I am certain, as I have said, that this film will improve upon repeated viewings rather than degrade the way the prequels have.

But there are so many great moments and ideas in this film. Just thinking of a few, I really liked the scene which introduced Rey (even just little things like when her food hydrates); the bit where Kylo Ren has a bit of an episode and trashes a console, then just stops and calmly says to the officer ‘…anything else?’; the detail of the scene in the bar; the bit where Han touches Kylo’s face before he falls from the bridge; the final lightsaber battle and the moment where the ground symbolically opens up between them. The design was great, everything looks and feels real, and I think there’s a lot of details in there which you need to see it more than once to appreciate.

I agree that the characters, dialogue and production values were spot on.  How often do you see a frantic exchange of words by two running characters in the prequels for example?  The dynamics and chemistry between characters - especially between the old and new characters - was almost perfect.

Regarding the lack of explanation of certain plot points, I do agree that we could have had a bit more exposition, but I’ve also read that Abrams was keen for the film not to outstay it’s welcome  – he wanted it to keep moving quickly and stay within about 2 hours 15 mins, like the originals. He didn’t want it to get bogged down with too much exposition and political discussions like the prequels did. There were some scenes cut which might’ve added a bit more context (no doubt they’ll show up on the DVD). There is a lot of background information in things like The Visual Dictionary, but you don’t need to read that stuff to enjoy the film.
What they’ve done is actually quite clever – for the casual fan or those watching their first Star Wars movie, it’s a straightforward good v evil adventure they can enjoy in it’s own right, without having to know any of the history or understand galactic politics (but hinting at a backstory and other things happening outside the film - just as A New Hope did); for the committed fan who wants to know everything, the background information is out there if they want to go looking for it. So both types of fan can enjoy it – it’s accessible for outsiders, but there’s enough depth and background to satisfy more committed fans. Also I do think a lot of things were explained, but only in a brief line here or there, so it was easy to miss things or forget them later on (for example Hux gives a speech saying they are going to destroy the New Republic, but it’s probably not explained in enough detail).

I guess I fall through the cracks as I'm just a casual fan; neither newbie nor die hard.  There was enough issues to leave me scratching my head but not in the way that I'd be motivated to dig out answers I feel could and should have been in the film itself. 

As an example, my annoyance over the the scenes concerning Artoo had nothing to do with timing or pacing or how long the exposition took; it was purely the way it was executed.  For me it was badly handled and it jolted me out of the movie.  It smacked of deux ex machina, or as Cinemasins might say, "The Force Conveniences".

The actual basic political scenario was fine for me though.  The Empire has fallen and it's remnants have coalesced into the First Order.  The New Republic has risen to take the Empire's place and they are sponsoring a resistance to the First Order.  That means the Resistance will be far more well equipped and capable than the comparative rag-tag of the old Rebel Alliance.

I do think having another ‘superweapon’ to destroy was the weakest part of the plot – even though it was done quite well, it did make that part of the movie predictable. Although this time it wasn’t as simple as just hitting it in one spot and it would blow up – it had to be disabled on the ground and then attacked from outside. Also, as the idea of the First Order is that they are consciously trying to re-create and emulate the Empire, it does make some kind of sense that they would try to do the same thing, only bigger. Plus I suppose it’s a useful storytelling tool – an easy way of establishing how powerful and evil the ‘bad guys’ are. But they could’ve come up with something a bit more original.

I wasn't really arsed about the superweapon except in its destruction.  For me, a great departure from the typical Star Wars plot would have been to cripple the weapon without destroying it.  It could have discharged prematurely (oo-er), or the targeting system may have been damaged, causing the blast to graze the Resistance planet.  There were options to explore here and they went too safe imo.

However I think it says a lot for this film that the worst we can say about it is ‘that wasn’t very original’, or ‘that could’ve been explained better’ – there’s nothing in it that’s actually bad – unlike the prequels, where whole chunks of it were really poor and / or embarrassing (and the rest was just dull).

I think criticism of it being too derivative of ANH is slightly unfair (superweapon aside). The first film in a trilogy like this is always going to follow a similar pattern – introduce the characters, have them go on a quest or face a challenge, and have some kind of victory or achievement in a way which allows the film to stand alone as a story, but also sets up the next part of the ‘story arc’. Much of the ‘mirroring’ was I think deliberate and necessary – these films always work best when there’s a ‘gang’ of heroes, they have to be thrown together by circumstance, at least one of them is always going to be a ‘nobody’ – so it’s easy to see how they ended up with similar themes to those used in ANH. But I also think it’s deliberate to a degree – to draw a new audience into this world, and to get them to know and care about these characters, in the same way that the first film did.

A number of reviews have touched on this and I agree that this film was "playing safe" with the plot, just to get the ball rolling and get people emotionally invested in Star Wars again.  I don't think that's a bad thing; but there's playing safe and there's playing TOO safe. 

Return of the Jedi has often been accused of being a remake of ANH with better special effects, which I've always thought was a very unfair comparison.  But with TFA I feel that, at certain times, it was just so painfully obvious.

To make matters worse, TFA didn't just borrow from the OT.  Too many of the Starkiller scenes felt like a direct rip off from other recent SF movies; most obvious being its destruction, which was a dead ringer for Vulcan from JJ's Star Trek reboot.  These scenes didn't feel unique to Star Wars somehow.  Probably because so many other movies have copied from Star Wars itself it ends up feeling like a copy of a copy to me.

But they also deserve some credit for some original ideas – yes, Rey is effectively an orphan living on a backwater desert planet, but unlike Luke she doesn’t dream of leaving for a life of adventure - she actually wants to stay, she’s a reluctant hero. Finn’s character is also new - both his background (ex-Stormtrooper) and his personality. Also Kylo Ren is a different kind of villain – he wants to be like Vader but while he is powerful, he’s also raw, unpredictable and conflicted. He’s not a one-dimensional villain like Vader was (at first).

See I'd argue against that.  The way she looks at that starship taking off holds a deep sense of regret and longing.  Now of course part of that directly relates to Rey's parents.  I do suspect though, that Rey longs to leave; but a part of her dreads breaking out of her comfort zone, so she uses the possibility of her parents returning as an excuse to remain.  Unlike Luke she has no family on Jakku, no stern uncle to stay or sway her decision.  Maz Kanata essentially makes Rey face up to the reality that her parents aren't coming back. 

Look at it this way: why would somebody who has no desire to leave bother learning how to pilot a starship?  Or know that putting a compressor on the ignition line would put too much stress on the hyperdrive?  True, as a scavenger she needs to be able to recognise something as potentially valuable but recognising a W16 engine when I see it doesn't mean I can drive a Bugatti Veyron.

Finn is far more clearly the reluctant hero, but I have to ask: wtf is a stormtrooper doing in a sanitation role??  That's a droid's job surely!?  Or a Rimmer-esque second-grade technician?

I will say that both Finn and Rey ultimately act out of a sense of loyalty and responsibility, which is what makes them such badass heroes. 

As for Kylo Ren, well as said in my first post, at the moment I just see him as a little punk wannabe.  An emo with a lightsaber.  He seems to carry all the fears of pre-Vader Anakin Skywalker, but none of his rage.  What we've seen is a spoilt brat throwing tantrums.  We need to know more about his character.  I suspect the next film will give us flashbacks to his fall.  It will be interesting to see how his character develops.

Captain Phasma should’ve been given more to do (presumably she will in the next film). But regarding her agreeing to lower the shields, didn’t Kylo Ren say something to Hux early in the film questioning how effective the Stormtroopers were and Hux said something like ‘my soldiers are impeccably trained’? Phasma’s weakness is something that could be used by Kylo Ren against Hux in the power struggle that’s obviously happening between them (maybe Kylo or Snoke decide that they now need to use the Knights of Ren as the stormtroopers aren't up to it). Also I think maybe they’re setting up a sub-plot of her being out to get Finn in the next film, to take revenge for her humiliation. Maybe she’ll have to do it to prove herself again to the First Order, or maybe she’ll have been demoted or kicked out and will have ‘gone rogue’.

I think this is possible.  As I have mentioned, I think there is potential for Phasma to pull a "Mara Jade" - her character might even be a homage to Mara.

With R2-D2 being ‘asleep’ and having the missing part of the map, I don’t really see that as a plot hole, I read it like this: Luke has gone missing and doesn’t want to be found (at least at first). It makes sense for R2 to know where he is because he was with Luke previously. Luke hides the key piece of information on his whereabouts inside R2 for when the time is right, and has him basically shut down. I assume that Luke was waiting for something to happen – presumably Rey’s ‘awakening’ – and when he sensed that it had happened, that was R2’s cue to ‘wake up’. I’m assuming Luke is either related to Rey or knows who she is. I just see it as a bit of a mystery that they put in there deliberately, to be explained in the next film.

I had no problem with this parse - I just think it was handled poorly.  If, in Rey's vision, you had seen Luke touch Artoo and then seen the droid's lights go out everything would have made much greater sense - and you could have done that with just a single second's worth of movie time.

I didn't figure out it was Skywalker who put Artoo to sleep until I read this thread - I thought Rey's vision was one of the future but it's actually one of the past.  A mistake on my part to be sure, but how many other people made the same mistake?  That is a schoolboy error of poor exposition imo. 

The really cool question - which might be answered in a book - is how did Max Von Sydow get hold of the missing map piece in the first place?  And what was his relationship to Kylo Ren and Solo?  He clearly knew something of them and their history.  I was really intrigued by this.

I don’t have a problem with Rey apparently being more powerful than Luke was at the same age – again it’s another mystery that they’ve set up – how and why is she so powerful already? There’s no rule that says everyone has to develop at the same rate, it gives a bit of variety. Luke was not supposed to be the most powerful Jedi ever, just the last one – and he only had to go up against an ageing Vader.

It's not a question of power - it's a question of skill.  Just suddenly being able to do the Jedi mind trick?  I mean, there's nothing wrong with knowing about the Jedi and having some clue to their abilities - I'm sure even Jakku has Wikipedia ;)  And as you say, there's no rule on how Jedi develop.  But even so, Luke had bona-fide Jedi Masters to work with.

And Vader wasn't that old you know - probably only mid-40s by New Hope.  ;D

Regarding Han's death - maybe it could've been more of a 'hero's' death - but then if you look at it as him dying trying to save his son, it was quite a noble way to go - and a selfless one, when he'd usually been selfish in the past.

Well whilst I think the Kenobi/Solo deaths can be compared I don't think it's a fair comparison.  Kenobi's death is a noble sacrifice; Solo's is an empty, anticlimax that only consolidates Kylo Ren's place in the dark side - which makes it just as powerfully dramatic as Kenobi's loss, but in a downbeat, defeatist way.  It's a clever inversion of of an existing motif and I don't think many are giving it enough credit for what it is.

The score was more subdued and lacking many distinct themes – not sure if this was deliberate or it’s just that John Williams has started to run out of ideas (it would be understandable – have a look on Wikipedia at just how many scores he has composed, it’s unbelievable). I read somewhere that Lucas’ directing style leaves more ‘open spaces’ for the score to fill, he uses it to help tell the story and convey the emotions of the characters, whereas Abrams’ style is more about action and the music is there to (literally) underscore the action (and perhaps his directing allows the actors to convey their emotions better, so he doesn’t need the music to do it for them). But if you listen to the soundtrack, there are some good tracks (e.g. The Scavenger, Rey’s Theme, March of the Resistance, The Jedi Steps).

My complaint about the score - as well as some of the sound effects - is that they seemed to be a direct cut and paste job from the original films.  As much as I loved the music when Rey snatches the lightsaber from Kylo's force grip, it was exactly the same as A New Hope.  It didn't feel blended into the score for me as much as shoehorned. 

I don’t think we should underestimate the challenge they faced in making this film – until now, there hasn’t been a Star Wars film made that didn’t suck in some way, since 1983. How do you make a modern Star Wars film that manages to have that same sense of wonder and innocence and being able to appeal to anyone, whilst also satisfying a more cynical and demanding modern audience, and the millions of existing Star Wars fans who have very specific ideas about what they want to see? It’s not easy, but overall I think they managed it.

Call me daft, but I think one option would have been to make the special effects more retro and simplistic.  Not primitive the way RotJ's effects look compared to a modern film, but simpler.  Remember, the original Star Wars itself was supposed to harken back to the days of the Flash Gordon serials.  We can do more with modern effects, but does that make it better?

They managed to create new characters that were believable and likeable and have them interact in a way which wasn’t stiff or clichéd. There wasn’t one bad character in the film (maybe a few underused ones) – whereas with the prequels, there was only Obi-Wan who was OK, Darth Maul looked good but wasn’t really a character – the rest were either bland and unconvincing (Qui-Gonn, Padme) or just rubbish (Jar Jar, Anakin). And this was the funniest of all the Star Wars films, yet the humour worked and never felt out of place.

Overall it was just fun – but with genuine emotion underneath. I’d definitely pay to see it again.

Totally agree.  No bad characters at all.  Solo was still Solo; just a washed out space-bum version of his younger self.  Phasma was underused but I expect this to change.  And yes, the film was very funny.  Although I think it skirted the edge of being too comedic overall it was handled very well.

I wont go to the cinema again to see it, but I will happily buy the DVD.
« Last Edit: January 3, 2016, 01:15:19 pm by Red Beret »
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
Great post!

Theory time - could it have been Kylo Ren who left Rey on Jakku as a child and force wiped her memory? He is struggling still with the call of the light vs the dark and can only assume this has always been a problem for him.

Perhaps he felt a loose connection to her but didn't know what it was (i.e. cousins) when slaughtering the other Jedi trainees, or maybe she was just so young and also female (rare for Jedi)?  For whatever reason he couldn't bring himself to kill her and instead takes her from Luke. Maybe therefore Luke has presumed her to be dead and only begins to feel her presence once the force begins to awaken in her?  Maybe that's why he never went back for her as he never knew where she was or even alive?  Maybe that's why no one has made the connection between Rey and Luke in the film even though we must assume Leah knew Luke had a daughter?

When they are fighting there appears to be a recognition by Ren of who she is - as if he has known her before. Maybe she will become his biggest mistake in that he should have killed her as a child when he had the chance.  There was a definite "Oh shit" look on Ren's face after the ground split open.

I think I am right!  I have convinced myself.
I hope you have a plan to explain all that in 2 hours of film

+ Han, Leia, Luke
+ Hux, Kylo, Snokes
+ Rey, Chewie
+ Poe, BB8
+ Maz, Phasma
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Anyone else think Rey could be The Chosen One that Qui Gon Jinn thinks Anakin is in Episode 1? I haven't seen 2 and 3 (was too pissed off at episode 1) so I don't know if it was confirmed whether or not that was Anakin in them.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Maybe Rey was randomly conceived via the midichlorians ;)

Popcorn's Art

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I don’t have a problem with Rey apparently being more powerful than Luke was at the same age – agai n it’s another mystery that they’ve set up – how and why is she so powerful already? There’s no rule that says everyone has to develop at the same rate, it gives a bit of variety. Luke was not supposed to be the most powerful Jedi ever, just the last one – and he only had to go up against an ageing Vader.

I feel like you could partly explain the difference a bit by saying that whilst Luke had some doubts that we see, Rey doesn't show any (yet) and seems totally on board with the whole force thing having heard Han say that it's all real...

...or yeah maybe she just has lots of midichlorians ...   shame they didn't toss out the prequels with the EU to be honest

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Thanks for the reply.
What did we see though mate?  We saw some special effects and some one or two-line summaries of the characters.  We learned nothing about the plot, which as it turned out was a good thing because the plot was just a mashup of the OT.
I'm thinking stuff like the shot of the crashed Star Destroyer, the X-wings flying over the water, the Falcon chase sequence through the crashed ships, the Tie Fighters against the setting sun, Han's appearance ('...we're home'), the lightsaber fight in the snow...all of these were striking images and ideas, which we take for granted somewhat having seen them a few times already - if the first time we saw them was in the film, we'd have been blown away by them.

I'd argue the weakness of the prequels becomes glaringly obvious only after the initial rush of watching.  For example, I had no problem with Anakin's and Obi-Wan's lightsaber battle in the cinema.  But it didn't stand up to multiple rewatchings.  I was getting bored and didn't know why until Harry Plinkett's review coalesced my unconscious issues with the film.
I always felt there was something off about the prequels, the first time I saw them - right from the beginning of The Phantom Menace the dialogue was stilted and awkward, the story uninteresting and disjointed, the characters poor. They become worse the more you watch them and analyse them, but you only really get into that analysis because you feel they have major flaws to start with (and you wanted them to be good). Anakin v Obi-Wan was OK to start with, but it stretched credibility too much, went on too long, and the way it ended was farcical. And like all the lightsaber battles in the prequels, there was very little emotion involved because you didn't care about the charaters. Whereas every duel in the OT had meaning and emotion behind it - and it was the same in TFA.

Comparatively speaking, I've never questioned the OT because they were products of their era.  If indeed you are making a film in the modern age then imo it should be able to stand up to at least basic scrutiny of that modern age - which includes the Internet.

I think we don't question the OT for a few reasons: one is that we were kids when we saw it and at that age you tend to just accept films as they are rather than thinking about plot holes and whether particular sequences could've been written or directed better. And we don't question them now, when we're older, because most of the stuff in them is great so we don't notice and don't care to look for plotholes, etc. The other reason is that those films were able to breathe without the over-analysis of a hyper-critical internet shaping people's opinion of them. They were just fun and exciting (but also emotional) and you could enjoy them in an innocent way without being dragged down by the negativity of people on the internet wanting to pick it apart and criticise it because it didn't match up to their own personal expectations and requirements (not saying you're doing that!)

Also I think it's a little unfair on modern films to suggest that films from 30 years ago can get away with plotholes and flaws, whereas modern films can't. Then it becomes almost impossible to make a 'great' film today, because there will always be things you can criticise. Even the greatest films of recent years have been picked apart by people on the internet because everyone thinks they can do better, and some people love to find faults with things, especially if they're popular or critically-acclaimed.

That's not to say we should accept any old rubbish, but these sort of films do require some suspension of disbelief. If you're going to apply hyper-critical standards, then I'd suggest it's now virtually impossible to make a film that captures the magic and wonder of the OT (which presumably is what we wanted to see), because you have to spend so much time and effort making sure that everything is explained in detail and makes perfect sense, and you lose that simplicity. The key is finding that 'sweet spot' where the flaws and plotholes (even if they are not actually plotholes because there is an explanation behind them that you couldn't fit into the film) are outweighed by the positives - the OT did it, I think TFA did it, the prequels did not - the flaws massively outweighed any positives, and that was obvious from the first viewing.

As an example, my annoyance over the the scenes concerning Artoo had nothing to do with timing or pacing or how long the exposition took; it was purely the way it was executed.  For me it was badly handled and it jolted me out of the movie.  It smacked of deux ex machina, or as Cinemasins might say, "The Force Conveniences".
As I said, I think this was something they put in deliberately as a kind of mystery that we're meant to ponder on (and will be explained in the next film), rather than a convenient way of resolving a plot hole. Again not everything has to be explained, we just have to believe that this world, these events and these characters could exist.

I wasn't really arsed about the superweapon except in its destruction.  For me, a great departure from the typical Star Wars plot would have been to cripple the weapon without destroying it.  It could have discharged prematurely (oo-er), or the targeting system may have been damaged, causing the blast to graze the Resistance planet.  There were options to explore here and they went too safe imo.
I think the problem with this is that if it was only damaged, they could've repaired it in the future and then the writers would be stuck with two things in Episode 8: one, they'd still have a superweapon to destroy, so they'd have to repeat themselves again in trying to destroy it; and two, they'd have to set the next film straight after this one, because as soon as The First Order repaired it (which presumably wouldn't have taken that long) they'd have been using it again. This way, they can start Episode 8 anything from a few months to two years after Episode 7. If you're going to have a superweapon, I think it has to be destroyed!

See I'd argue against that.  The way she looks at that starship taking off holds a deep sense of regret and longing.  Now of course part of that directly relates to Rey's parents.  I do suspect though, that Rey longs to leave; but a part of her dreads breaking out of her comfort zone, so she uses the possibility of her parents returning as an excuse to remain.  Unlike Luke she has no family on Jakku, no stern uncle to stay or sway her decision.  Maz Kanata essentially makes Rey face up to the reality that her parents aren't coming back. 
I think she wants to leave, but only to be with her family. She doesn't want to leave to go off on adventures like Luke did - he had a family and a safe life, but was bored. Rey has had to fend for herself and grown up without a family, so that's what she wants. The point I was trying to make is that there are subtle differences in the characters to those in ANH, they're not just direct rip-offs.

Finn is far more clearly the reluctant hero, but I have to ask: wtf is a stormtrooper doing in a sanitation role??  That's a droid's job surely!?  Or a Rimmer-esque second-grade technician?
I think the idea is that he worked on Starkiller base in the past, before he became a proper Stormtrooper - so the sanitation thing was presumably part of his training / working his way up. The attack on the village was his first taste of action, which is partly why he was so disorientated / shocked by it all.

As for Kylo Ren, well as said in my first post, at the moment I just see him as a little punk wannabe.  An emo with a lightsaber.  He seems to carry all the fears of pre-Vader Anakin Skywalker, but none of his rage.  What we've seen is a spoilt brat throwing tantrums.  We need to know more about his character.  I suspect the next film will give us flashbacks to his fall.  It will be interesting to see how his character develops.
But even the 'spoilt brat' side of it is done much better than Anakin was. They had three films to develop his character and show how and why he turned to the dark side, but never managed it convincingly. At first he was a happy little kid who then just went a bit sulky when he supposedly missed his mother (even though he'd been desperate to get away), but soon got happy again. Then the older Anakin never progressed beyond being sulky, petulant, self-centred and annoying. He should have been a character who was troubled and flawed, perhaps easily led, but also charismatic, likeable and heroic. He was none of those things, and his evil side wasn't even convincing. The character was badly written and badly acted. But with Kylo Ren, though we don't know much, we know he was training to be a Jedi but it went wrong and he was attracted by the dark side, we know he resents and hates his father (who he says is foolish and weak), we know he wants to emulate his grandfather. But we also know that he fears that he might not be strong or powerful enough, and he is conflicted because he hasn't completely let go of the light side. As a villain you fear him, the threat seems real because of the brutality he is capable of, but you also wonder whether he will remain like that, and what he's really all about. I think they deserve credit for outlining the character efficiently, with just a few lines of exposition (something they didn't do effectively for every part of the film).

I didn't figure out it was Skywalker who put Artoo to sleep until I read this thread - I thought Rey's vision was one of the future but it's actually one of the past.  A mistake on my part to be sure, but how many other people made the same mistake?  That is a schoolboy error of poor exposition imo. 
I assumed it was a vision of the past as it showed Bespin, what appeared to be the aftermath of the massacre at Luke's Jedi academy, and Rey as a girl. But I think again it was meant to be a mystery, and was just meant to convey that Rey had been exposed to a whole new, frightening, world, and that it had some deeper meaning for her future / destiny.

It's not a question of power - it's a question of skill.  Just suddenly being able to do the Jedi mind trick?  I mean, there's nothing wrong with knowing about the Jedi and having some clue to their abilities - I'm sure even Jakku has Wikipedia ;)  And as you say, there's no rule on how Jedi develop.  But even so, Luke had bona-fide Jedi Masters to work with.

And Vader wasn't that old you know - probably only mid-40s by New Hope.  ;D
I'm assuming that rather than having heard about Jedi mind tricks, I think she just sensed that she could do it - I think all of these skills were suddenly being awoken in her but it was an instinctive thing rather than something she had already learnt. Like when she started fighting back against Kylo.

And Vader was pretty slow though, even in his mid-40s! I think he was supposed to be physically weaker (in terms of athleticism) than he had been (but still very strong with the Force), but there were no other Jedi around to challenge him.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
Some other things that are found out in the additional literature / screenplay.

Han actually abandons Leia, blaming her for Ben turning to the Dark Side.

Ben resents Han Solo because he grows up being told tales of how his dad was a key part in the rebellion whilst he thought he was a bit of a jackass.
:D

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
Rob I'll try to address your points in greater detail later  I just want to say that I didn't dislike Kylo Ren's character from an acting or directing perspective.  He's not meant to be likeable, which is what I like about him.  I like the fact he is a weak willed little punk.

With Anakin Skywalker you had no idea how much of being a little bitch had to do with acting choices, Hayden Christensen being a poor actor and George Lucas being a crap director.  But Ben Solo is clearly intended to be a slightly unhinged, morose utterly unsympathetic douche.  (Any sympathy I had for him died with his old man!)

Popcorn's Art

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
Two things watching it struck me …

Han, yes, he didn’t know who Rey was when they met, but then when he asked her her name, he DID give a look as if to say he either A. knew her or B. thought her name was strange. He does give a strange recognition look (unless I’m imaging that?)

Kylo Ren was relatively fine until he found out a girl had helped the Falcon escape Jakku, then he went apeshit. There is also a line a toy of him said that said ‘is it true your just a scavenger?’. Slightly different to the movie, but cut from the movie. Not that it means much, but maybe it was slightly giving away that he knew her before and now was amazed that she was only a scavenger?

It seems to me she was present at the slaughtering of Luke’s new academy, and also doesn’t Ren also kill someone who is approaching Rey in the flashback?

I don’t know who’s child she is, but it seems to me Ren and maybe even Han have some inkling as to who she is.  ???

Rob I'll try to address your points in greater detail later  I just want to say that I didn't dislike Kylo Ren's character from an acting or directing perspective.  He's not meant to be likeable, which is what I like about him.  I like the fact he is a weak willed little punk.

With Anakin Skywalker you had no idea how much of being a little bitch had to do with acting choices, Hayden Christensen being a poor actor and George Lucas being a crap director.  But Ben Solo is clearly intended to be a slightly unhinged, morose utterly unsympathetic douche.  (Any sympathy I had for him died with his old man!)

Probably the best moment in the movie that for me. The way the light was shining on the two of them, and then when it went out, he stabs him. Also, the look he gives when he first does it, he looks shocked himself that he’s just killed his father, then resigns himself to it and shows no remorse.

Also love the way John Williams score is optimistic for a second when he’s handing over the lightsaber, then changes when the light goes out.
« Last Edit: January 4, 2016, 12:46:43 pm by Paul JH »
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
That was a trick they missed; it should have been Phasma.

100% agree with this.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Paul JH

• Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
Except they look similar ages to me ... your theory might work if Kylo was 20+ years older than Rey but he clearly isn't

Kylo is 29 or 30 according to official canon. Rey is 19. There's 11 years between them. So that would make Kylo 17 when he killed Luke's students. It fits (even if it might not be right).

Offline KOP1975

• Feb 5: “Hurt the pockets of the club not the team on the pitch as the team needs all the help it can get right now.” Feb 7: “i never want to see Sakho-shit ever play for us again. He needs to be binned big time.” <— 'Helping' the team....?
  • Anny Roader
Seen it twice loved it.

But there were 2 things that did slightly irk me.

1) Kylo taking his mask off so easy.
2) Snoak - Very Harry Potter

I pressume that Rey could use the force so easily because shes had her mind wiped but its all coming back to her - as per the scene where she finds the lightsaber.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
Seen it twice loved it.

But there were 2 things that did slightly irk me.

1) Kylo taking his mask off so easy.
2) Snoak - Very Harry Potter

I pressume that Rey could use the force so easily because shes had her mind wiped but its all coming back to her - as per the scene where she finds the lightsaber.
Why shouldn't he be able to take his mask off easily?
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline KOP1975

• Feb 5: “Hurt the pockets of the club not the team on the pitch as the team needs all the help it can get right now.” Feb 7: “i never want to see Sakho-shit ever play for us again. He needs to be binned big time.” <— 'Helping' the team....?
  • Anny Roader

Why shouldn't he be able to take his mask off easily?

I just think it would've been better to take it off only when he met Han on the bridge. Not cod the girl asked him to.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
I just think it would've been better to take it off only when he met Han on the bridge. Not cod the girl asked him to.
Oh, I see.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
What have people been watching/reading to get caught up on the details the movie missed? I know someone linked the list of officially canon stuff a while back but it was huge, I'm assuming there's a few new releases that are more integral to the new characters?

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
What have people been watching/reading to get caught up on the details the movie missed? I know someone linked the list of officially canon stuff a while back but it was huge, I'm assuming there's a few new releases that are more integral to the new characters?

There's been a lot of stuff (novels, comics) released over the last year, some of which was set inbetween the different episodes of the OT, some of which was set directly after ROTJ (the novels Aftermath and Lost Stars in particular). But the only stuff that directly relates to the new film I think would be the Visual Dictionary and the novel adaptation of the film - both have quite a few bits of extra information / background in them. There's also the novel 'Before the Awakening' which gives a bit of backstory to Rey, Finn and Poe, but I don't think that one's essential as there are no big secrets revealed in it.

So I'd say the Visual Dictionary and the novel of the film. I've got the Visual Dictionary and it's pretty good, haven't got the novel yet but apparently it covers some of the scenes that were deleted from the movie, and has a bit more exposition.
« Last Edit: January 4, 2016, 03:11:38 pm by Rob Dylan »

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Yeah I think the writers are going to struggle to get us to feel any sympathy for him in the way that we eventually did with Vader. It'll also be hard for him to redeem himself after what he's done.

Offline Paul JH

• Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."

I thought the same to be fair, that the reveal should have been on the bridge, and that should also have been the moment when it was revealed that he was Han’s Son? But then I suppose you wouldn’t have had the whole Leia / Han split explained then?

It would have been more powerful had they discussed splitting, but without overtly mentioning Kylo, and Snoke revealing that he was Han’s son should have been nibbed and the ‘BEN!’ moment be the moment you realise who Han and Leia were talking about.

It was still good, but could have been a big ‘Ohhhhhh’ moment … unless they were too wary of mimicking the Luke / Vader ‘I’m your father’ moment?

Offline KOP1975

• Anny Roader
Yeah possibly.
The force awakens is basically a New Hope for the next gen.
I loved it as someone who loved 4,5 & 6 but didn't enjoy 1,2 & 3.
Good thing about 7 is that you never have to watch the prequels again!

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.

http://www.amazon.com/Force-Awakens-Star-Wars/dp/1101965495/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1451920859&sr=1-1&keywords=force+awakens
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
Watching it for the 8th time this Wednesday :D

<a href="http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Ross-Why-Would-You-Do-That.gif" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Ross-Why-Would-You-Do-That.gif</a>
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I always thought that part of the reason Kylo Ren lost is because his mind wasn't completely right after killing his dad. It's not exactly as if it was easy for him - although I guess it would have been a bit of an anti-climax if he'd just lopped Han's head off immediately. Even though the film is full of him doing evil shit, felt like it was all a bit forced. Him trying to consciously emulate Vader more than it all coming naturally. That's why you see his face so early I think, or that's how it made me feel anyway. Just the reminder he's a kid while doing all of this.

No doubt killing Han is exactly the push he needed for the path he wants to follow but in the immediacy I don't think it made him stronger, think it might have made his convictions waver slightly. Factor in his physical wounds and Rey's convictions being pure and strong and the fight made sense to me.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I always thought that part of the reason Kylo Ren lost is because his mind wasn't completely right after killing his dad. It's not exactly as if it was easy for him - although I guess it would have been a bit of an anti-climax if he'd just lopped Han's head off immediately. Even though the film is full of him doing evil shit, felt like it was all a bit forced. Him trying to consciously emulate Vader more than it all coming naturally. That's why you see his face so early I think, or that's how it made me feel anyway. Just the reminder he's a kid while doing all of this.

No doubt killing Han is exactly the push he needed for the path he wants to follow but in the immediacy I don't think it made him stronger, think it might have made his convictions waver slightly. Factor in his physical wounds and Rey's convictions being pure and strong and the fight made sense to me.

Funnily enough, in the screen play that's been released, it describes that Kylo felt weakened when he killed Han instead of strengthened as he was expecting.

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Funnily enough, in the screen play that's been released, it describes that Kylo felt weakened when he killed Han instead of strengthened as he was expecting.

Haha, I made that post and then googled to see what others thought and an article about that came up actually! Honest.  ;D

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
Some interesting points raised about Rey.

It could well be she is the sole surviving apprentice from Kylo's massacre and that her memory was wiped to keep her safe.  What I thought was a force vision might actually be her hidden memories surfacing.  This might explain why she can suddenly just "use" the force with seemingly no formal training.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
Seen it four times now, will go and watch it at least a couple of more times

Have enjoyed it every time despite what I think are some flaws

But I think they were in a very difficult situation and have sympathy for what they faced, it could so badly have gone wrong

They had to do so much, firstly to craft an exciting movie that had the same thrilling escapism and mythology of the original trilogy, to bring new characters in, integrate them with the originals, mix them together in a narrative convincingly, and move the whole thing forward. They had to do all this in one movie and if its not perfect its because they had a heavier load than the first three which only had to tell their own story

I believe its set up well for Rian Johnson to hit the next one for six. As long as Rey is not invincible, then its all set up for an awesome part VIII without the encumberances that this movie had in terms of the things it was obliged to do

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
Could the force awakening in her be a by product of Kylo Ren probing her mind? There was a 2 way flow of information at that point. There could be a subconscience priming of her latent abilities. It could be the meaning of the film title...

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
There's been a lot of stuff (novels, comics) released over the last year, some of which was set inbetween the different episodes of the OT, some of which was set directly after ROTJ (the novels Aftermath and Lost Stars in particular). But the only stuff that directly relates to the new film I think would be the Visual Dictionary and the novel adaptation of the film - both have quite a few bits of extra information / background in them. There's also the novel 'Before the Awakening' which gives a bit of backstory to Rey, Finn and Poe, but I don't think that one's essential as there are no big secrets revealed in it.

So I'd say the Visual Dictionary and the novel of the film. I've got the Visual Dictionary and it's pretty good, haven't got the novel yet but apparently it covers some of the scenes that were deleted from the movie, and has a bit more exposition.
http://www.amazon.com/Force-Awakens-Star-Wars/dp/1101965495/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1451920859&sr=1-1&keywords=force+awakens

Thanks, I'll give them a read after I've watched the movie again.

Offline KOP1975

• Anny Roader
There is a theory that Kylo is actually a good guy just double bluffing Snoak. To become a sith you have to kill someone you love (Han).
He can then be accepted by Snoak and destroy him.

I agree that when Kylo tried to read Reys mind it "awoke the force" in her.

Age plays no part in the force - anakin had it at 7, luke discovered and had to do a lot of training a lot older and Rey had her mind wiped but it was always there.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
There is a theory that Kylo is actually a good guy just double bluffing Snoak. To become a sith you have to kill someone you love (Han).
He can then be accepted by Snoak and destroy him.

I agree that when Kylo tried to read Reys mind it "awoke the force" in her.

Age plays no part in the force - anakin had it at 7, luke discovered and had to do a lot of training a lot older and Rey had her mind wiped but it was always there.
If that's true (It won't be) then it will possibly be a worse story than the prequels
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
Indeed. It's a plot twist for the sake of it, what a heavy price to pay as a bluff. Why not just kill Leia since she's a far bigger thorn in the flesh to the First Order than Han, and why not fake it.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
theories can bugger off.