Author Topic: NBA Discussion  (Read 628140 times)

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
  • The Glory round Anfield Road!
Re: NBA Season 2016-17 Discussion
« Reply #3000 on: June 7, 2017, 11:22:44 am »
Enjoyable basketball, not sure why people are complaining, high quality basketball on display in the Finals. Granted the playoffs haven't been as competitive [injuries have prevent that for most teams] but quality basketball in the finals so far.

I second this.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3001 on: June 8, 2017, 04:48:33 am »
Hell yeah! Incredible win, great end to the game. KD is cold blooded!

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3002 on: June 8, 2017, 04:55:23 am »
Clutch fucking play by KD there, what a win by the Dubs considering how the Cavs played, but ruthless by the Warriors in the end. Awesome game

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3003 on: June 8, 2017, 04:56:37 am »
KD is unlike anything we've ever seen. Like them or not, you just have to applaud the Warriors, they're the perfect basketball machine for this time. It's pointless to compare teams from different eras of basketball, but sure they are a generational, era-defining team, and will be for the 3-5 years, barring catastrophes.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3004 on: June 8, 2017, 05:15:24 am »
Cavs bottled it down the stretch , 11-0 run in the last 3 minutes. Embarrassing ending. KD is ridiculous though, shame he didnt stay at OKC, him and Westbrook could have created something special.
Anyway, its still an amazing achievement by the warriors, to sweep the play offs.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3005 on: June 8, 2017, 05:23:12 am »
You just question what more LeBron can do. 39-11-9, a first half for the ages, and Kevin Love bottles a wide open lay-up that would have made it an 8 point game with 2 min to play. Apart from LeBron they shot 23% on 3s. Despite this, he had more assists than the rest of the team put together, and 6 more than Irving's 3, his nominal point guard.

Without any scientific input, I think the Warriors were 'lucky' with the rebounds tonight, but the Cavs were 'lucky' with the way the shots fell when rolling around the rim. The Warriors were shit hot from 3 in the face of some pretty decent Cavs defense but it just cancels out their game 1. They're good, not unbeatable, but good.

Kyrie has been stone cold for them over the last 18 months but at some stage his decision making is going to have to be questioned. Pull up 3s early in the shot clock, settling for long mid rangers. There are too many guys in the league that are better defenders, more efficient shooters, and better playmakers than Kyrie for him to be considered adequate support for LeBron; as it happens, 2.67 of these guys start for the Warriors. Tristan Thompson has been rendered an absolute liability. Everybody knows Love isn't a good fit. JR is probably the only untouchable given the scarcity of 3&D guys but could be upgraded.

If I'm them, I'm getting Boston on the phone and asking about Jae Crowder, I'm asking about Avery Bradley, I'm asking about Khris Middleton, I'm asking about Paul George, I'm asking about PJ Tucker, I'm asking about Pat Bev. The blueprint from now has to be LeBron + Floor spacing Big + 3&D guys, then look for good temporary additions like Frye, Javale, Dedmon, McGee etc have been. I know he wants a playmaker and they should definitely get another one in case they go my route, but LeBron can supplement that by looking to refine his playmaking game past just drive and kick; he has it in him, for sure.

LeBron on the court 46min, Cavs +7. LeBron off the court 2min, Warriors +12. He's 32-12-10 on 64% TS for the series against the best defence in the league and one of the greatest teams ever. Can't wait for this to be held against him by the 6-0 brigade.
« Last Edit: June 8, 2017, 05:33:43 am by Shaved Crossbar »

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
  • Can climb two flights of stairs
« Reply #3006 on: June 8, 2017, 07:30:49 am »
Cavs are shooting 29% from three in the series. They shot 38% in the regular season and over 40% in the postseason. If they were going to have a chance to keep up with this iteration of GSW, they needed to shoot at least in that realm. Credit to the GSW too. Their perimeter defense has been incredible, especially closing down that Korver/Love corner three.

Offline trimore

• Legacy Fan
  • Dastardly and Muttley with sick laughter
« Reply #3007 on: June 8, 2017, 08:34:00 am »
Cavs bottled it down the stretch , 11-0 run in the last 3 minutes. Embarrassing ending. KD is ridiculous though, shame he didnt stay at OKC, him and Westbrook could have created something special.
Anyway, its still an amazing achievement by the warriors, to sweep the play offs.

I disagree about creating something special in OKC. Russ is too selfish, Adams isn't a good enough scorer and there was serious lack of basketball intelligence in both the head office and on the bench to do anything special.  His only chance would have to been fluke a year to beat the Warriors, Spurs and Cavs at the same time plus if he waited too long he had would have to deal with new great teams developing like the Bucks and Wolves. There is no doubt in my mind OKC peaked last year and even if they beat GSW they would have lost to the Cavs in 6.

If he wanted multiple rings, and he is talented enough to feel deserving of that and not just hoping for a single title, then he was in a tough spot in OKC. Most other teams wouldn't have been much of an upgrade (maybe Houston but Harden's breakout season happened the year after moving). The Spurs already had Leonard and Aldridge at his positions and Cleveland obviously had Love and Lebron. Taking the hate and going to GSW was the right move.

And yes this has been an incredibly impressive display by Golden State. I respect everything that organization has accomplished.
« Last Edit: June 8, 2017, 08:03:41 pm by trimore »
Go off to sleep in the sunshine, I don't want to see the day when it's dying

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #3008 on: June 8, 2017, 05:09:52 pm »
KD is unlike anything we've ever seen. Like them or not, you just have to applaud the Warriors, they're the perfect basketball machine for this time. It's pointless to compare teams from different eras of basketball, but sure they are a generational, era-defining team, and will be for the 3-5 years, barring catastrophes.

It's easy far easier for KD to shine when he's playing with 4 other All Stars, one two time MVP and two of the greatest shooters we'll see.
He picks and chooses his spots.
Disappointed the Cavs couldn't hold onto their lead. Would ahve made for a far more interesting series.
No we'll have to hope for the even more amazing comeback in NBA history one season after the most amazing comeback in NBA history.
Odds of the Warriors writing their name twice into the wrong side of the history books is  teeny tiny tinsy.

But hey, Cavs to win 4 straight!
Would be a damper to see Durant win a title this way. Part of me wants the failure to send a message that there are no shortcuts to success. Seems there are.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3009 on: June 8, 2017, 05:54:41 pm »
Think that's a bit of nonsense personally, can't blame Durant for wanting to be a vital part of the best team in the league for a few years.

Think he'll probably stay another couple of years before picking up a max deal at maybe the Wizards  :P

Great game of basketball though.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3010 on: June 8, 2017, 09:55:04 pm »
Lebron just had a press conference and my respect to him just got bigger. He was asked by a journo that Warriors is stacked, how it can not be fair for other teams etc basically he was begging Lebron to take a shot at Warriors but this is what he said:

"It's sports, it happened all the time, if i am owner of a club i will try to get all the best players i can. It happened when Cowboys got star nfl players, it happened when Yankees added piece after piece every summer. It happened in basketball too. People forget that Warriors drafted Steph, Klay and Draymond. That's 3 future hall of famers and they were already a champion with them. They only added one superstar Durant. When we went to Miami, only Wade was there. Me and Bosh went there. Warriors are now a great franchise that built successfully, allowed them to get a good piece because they drafted well, their fans are passionate and great so it's great for the league"

I think he really matured in recent years. By the way i won't be surprised if he becomes an owner after he retires, i sense that's the path he will choose.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #3011 on: June 8, 2017, 10:28:19 pm »
That's what I don't get about the Golden State and Durant hate, every team in sports try to get the absolute best players they can get for them to succeed. Is Durant supposed to go to a worse team and probably never get a ring just so that people that don't complain about parity and all that shite? Fuck that, if the rest of the league are feeling hard done by the Golden State dominance well...just get better. Draft and develop better, make better deals and put a system in work that maximizes your roster's talents, that's mostly what the Dubs have done and Durant was the prize they got for making so many smart decisions.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3012 on: June 8, 2017, 10:50:52 pm »
That's what I don't get about the Golden State and Durant hate, every team in sports try to get the absolute best players they can get for them to succeed. Is Durant supposed to go to a worse team and probably never get a ring just so that people that don't complain about parity and all that shite? Fuck that, if the rest of the league are feeling hard done by the Golden State dominance well...just get better. Draft and develop better, make better deals and put a system in work that maximizes your roster's talents, that's mostly what the Dubs have done and Durant was the prize they got for making so many smart decisions.

Well said my friend. I may be bias as i am a Warriors fan but people need to realize, if there is a fanbase that deserved a "super team" we are probably leading. I went to games from 2005 to 2013 for 8 years and the only time we made the play-off's was Baron Davis,Stephen Jackson,Jason Richardson team we had. Yet every single game was sold out there despite closing every year with 30-35 wins. Every team made trades and signed free agents to get better. Noone blamed Lakers and Kobe when they got the best center in the league in Shaq. Once he was done they got a prime great Pau Gasol. Clippers got CP3. Miami formed the big 3. Knicks got Amare, Melo. So what's the criteria here? A player is not supposed to go to a better team? Would it be great if Durant went to the Suns or Nets? If anything, it's great that different teams are winning the league. I was happy when Miami first won with Wade, then same for Mavericks. Glad that it's not Celtics-Lakers rivalry only. I keep reminding people when we discuss that Curry,Klay,Draymond were all drafts. It's not our fault many teams passed on them. What we did by forming that team is an excellence and people should applaud excellence. I guess media loves creating those hate stories and people just buy into it.
« Last Edit: June 8, 2017, 10:53:47 pm by elsewhere »

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3013 on: June 9, 2017, 12:19:31 am »
The Durant hate is pure bullocks. People act as if he played in Oklahoma for two years and bounced. He's been with them since 2007, got to the finals, lost, had a piss poor front office that somehow managed to lose Ibaka and Harden, and never built on that finals team. He didn't give up right away, he spent enough time there, and he wanted to do something different. I don't understand the blame and the hate towards him for doing so.

He could have had something special at OKC? What? With just Russ, he would have nothing, because the rest of the team is average at best.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3014 on: June 9, 2017, 06:36:19 am »
Is it over yet? First three rounds were over in a flash, now it's just dragging out like the Cricket World Cup. Bring on 2017-18... maybe.

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #3015 on: June 9, 2017, 06:03:43 pm »
The Durant hate is pure bullocks. People act as if he played in Oklahoma for two years and bounced. He's been with them since 2007, got to the finals, lost, had a piss poor front office that somehow managed to lose Ibaka and Harden, and never built on that finals team. He didn't give up right away, he spent enough time there, and he wanted to do something different. I don't understand the blame and the hate towards him for doing so.

He could have had something special at OKC? What? With just Russ, he would have nothing, because the rest of the team is average at best.

I'm not entirely sure Durant enjoyed playing with Westbrook either. They seemed to tolerate playing with each other, whereas Durant appears to actually enjoy playing with Curry, Thompson, and co.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3016 on: June 9, 2017, 06:09:30 pm »
Lebron just had a press conference and my respect to him just got bigger. He was asked by a journo that Warriors is stacked, how it can not be fair for other teams etc basically he was begging Lebron to take a shot at Warriors but this is what he said:

"It's sports, it happened all the time, if i am owner of a club i will try to get all the best players i can. It happened when Cowboys got star nfl players, it happened when Yankees added piece after piece every summer. It happened in basketball too. People forget that Warriors drafted Steph, Klay and Draymond. That's 3 future hall of famers and they were already a champion with them. They only added one superstar Durant. When we went to Miami, only Wade was there. Me and Bosh went there. Warriors are now a great franchise that built successfully, allowed them to get a good piece because they drafted well, their fans are passionate and great so it's great for the league"

I think he really matured in recent years. By the way i won't be surprised if he becomes an owner after he retires, i sense that's the path he will choose.

I really don't like Lebron, but fair play for saying this, that's a sign of a great player and person...

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3017 on: June 9, 2017, 06:26:01 pm »
No hate for Durant, my favourite nba player, has been for years. I would have liked him to spend more years with Westbrook, and harden for that matter, but he absolutely deserves his first ring. The warriors have been awesome.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3018 on: June 9, 2017, 07:03:34 pm »
No hate for Durant, my favourite nba player, has been for years. I would have liked him to spend more years with Westbrook, and harden for that matter, but he absolutely deserves his first ring. The warriors have been awesome.

He spent 8 years with Russ, thats more than enough

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3019 on: June 9, 2017, 07:37:22 pm »
Nobody can blame Durant leaving OKC. And I don't deny his motivation to be the best basketball player that he can be; which is what he said when explaining the move. But it is both a dick move and a weak move to go to the very team that beat you. Ray Allen was hated for the same reason.

Nothing about making the Warriors a superteam and no disrespect to their organisation either.

Offline ElCapo

• Legacy Fan
  • Bayern Munich - Mia San Mia
« Reply #3020 on: June 9, 2017, 07:42:52 pm »
It's easy far easier for KD to shine when he's playing with 4 other All Stars, one two time MVP and two of the greatest shooters we'll see.
He picks and chooses his spots.
Disappointed the Cavs couldn't hold onto their lead. Would ahve made for a far more interesting series.
No we'll have to hope for the even more amazing comeback in NBA history one season after the most amazing comeback in NBA history.
Odds of the Warriors writing their name twice into the wrong side of the history books is  teeny tiny tinsy.

But hey, Cavs to win 4 straight!
Would be a damper to see Durant win a title this way. Part of me wants the failure to send a message that there are no shortcuts to success. Seems there are.

Lebron wrote the playbook on that with his move to Miami a few years ago...

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #3021 on: June 9, 2017, 08:44:41 pm »
Anyone doubting Kevin Durant as a decent bloke should watch his MVP acceptance speech. Humility personified.

I understand that the OKC fans are upset with him (personally, to a point, I will be able to empathise when George packs his bags for LA very soon), but his move to GS was for one reason. To get that ring. To be honest, if OKC fans had reacted a little better about the situation then who's to say Durant doesn't go back there in two or three years to try and deliver the Championship there? Or is that wishful thinking?
« Last Edit: June 9, 2017, 10:06:06 pm by Alonso_The_Assassin »

Offline ncred

• ble
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #3022 on: June 9, 2017, 09:27:01 pm »
^^ and objectively, SF/Oakland is a better place to live than Oklahoma City.

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3023 on: June 9, 2017, 09:37:04 pm »
will finally watch one of the finals games tonight. hope its a good one. bookies have it -5.5 gsw
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline ElCapo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3024 on: June 9, 2017, 09:53:40 pm »
Steve Kerr on all the former greats who said they'd beat this #Warriors team.

https://twitter.com/Jimmy_Durkin/status/873229890463698945

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3025 on: June 9, 2017, 10:46:36 pm »
^^ and objectively, SF/Oakland is a better place to live than Oklahoma City.

For KD, yes, i am sure it's much better but as someone who worked in Oakland for a few years and lived in SF for 10 years, i can assure you Oakland and SF are quite different. In fact, aside from Piedmont and Lake Merritt, i wouldn't live anywhere in Oakland. I worked for a Citibank branch that was robbed with guns 7 times in one year and that was heart of Oakland, Broadway street. Just for the record i wanted to separate Oakland frol SF ;D That shouldn't matter anymore anyways as Warriors will move to the new stadium in SF soon.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3026 on: June 9, 2017, 10:49:53 pm »
Anyone doubting Kevin Durant as a decent bloke should watch his MVP acceptance speech. Humility personified.

I understand that the OKC fans are upset with him (personally, to a point, I will be able to empathise when George packs his bags for LA very soon), but his move to GS was for one reason. To get that ring. To be honest, if OKC fans had reacted a little better about the situation then who's to say Durant doesn't go back there in two or three years to try and deliver the Championship there? Or is that wishful thinking?

By the way, OKC fans should shut the hell up because the league stole 10 years of greatness from the amazing Seattle city by taking them from Supersonics.They are gifted a team with 3 of possibly top 10 players in the league in KD,Westbrook and Harden and now they are so spoiled and talking shite about KD despite the fact that he did work his butt off for 7 years there.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3027 on: June 10, 2017, 02:13:45 am »
I hope Cavs win here, I want to see more basketball this season.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3028 on: June 10, 2017, 02:54:54 am »
Giving 49 pts in a quarter is just pathetic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3029 on: June 10, 2017, 03:30:06 am »
Dubs aren't  playing bed or shooting poorly but Cavs have been on another level so far.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3030 on: June 10, 2017, 03:31:09 am »
Ridicolous first half, Cavs sinking everything. 86-68 at the break. When I started watching the NBA in the mid 90s that could've easily been a final score  ;D

Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3031 on: June 10, 2017, 03:32:34 am »
That half-time score line would have been a believable game score in the late 90s.

Edit: beat to the punch  ;D
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 03:44:43 am by Romeo Sensini »

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3032 on: June 10, 2017, 04:10:02 am »
Dubs aren't  playing bed or shooting poorly but Cavs have been on another level so far.

Nah, we have been playing bad.No ball movement, no help defense, pathetic forced shots. Also it doesn't help that refs do their best to help the Cavs. If a team is giving 86 pts by HT, trust me, that's always "playing bad".

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3033 on: June 10, 2017, 04:11:20 am »
Big fuck up by the officials. One of them gave a laughable second technical to Green, they realised that it would've been an automatic ejection, so they went back and claimed that the tech they gave him in the first half (which, incidentally, also shouldn't have been a technical) had in fact been given to Kerr from the bench. Shambolic.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3034 on: June 10, 2017, 04:12:21 am »
Mark Jackson sounding more and more salty and it's now getting ridiculous, he has to be stopped.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3035 on: June 10, 2017, 04:15:07 am »
Big fuck up by the officials. One of them gave a laughable second technical to Green, they realised that it would've been an automatic ejection, so they went back and claimed that the tech they gave him in the first half (which, incidentally, also shouldn't have been a technical) had in fact been given to Kerr from the bench. Shambolic.

It sure was pathetic, made that NFL substitute refs look great. One of the worst officiated finals games I've ever seen, no communication between each others, misinforming the coaches, they look like David Moyes out there.

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3036 on: June 10, 2017, 04:15:32 am »
Awful crew tonight. Missed calls, weak calls, and now this mess. Why not just meet-up and rescind the tech. Makes the NBA look like a sham.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3037 on: June 10, 2017, 04:20:12 am »
Someone please switch Jackson's mic off. It's for his own good, he'embarrassing himself.

Offline ElCapo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3038 on: June 10, 2017, 05:38:17 am »
Kyrie was insane tonight

Offline ElCapo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3039 on: June 10, 2017, 05:41:06 am »
Pachulia is one dirty mother.