Author Topic: NBA Discussion  (Read 628092 times)

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: NBA Season 2016-17 Discussion
« Reply #2840 on: May 14, 2017, 11:11:36 pm »
How bad was the Kawhi injury?
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2841 on: May 14, 2017, 11:11:53 pm »
A very ugly and lucky win for us in the end but nevertheless a much needed win. Curry and Durant came alive in the 2h. This wouldn't be close if Kawhi was still on the floor. There is just way too much talent gap between 2 teams even with Kawhi being healthy so him leaving hurt them a lot.

Congrats fellow Warriors fans!

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2842 on: May 14, 2017, 11:12:00 pm »
Long lay off for GSW looked to be an issue...expect them to be much cleaner in game 2 and beyond.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2843 on: May 14, 2017, 11:12:06 pm »
Those two offensive rebounds before the Curry 3 were a backbreaker. It was long rebounds, so the size advantage didn't matter as much, but the Spurs had to take care of that.

Yep, GS had 10 offensive rebounds in the second half. You can't give them that many extra opportunities.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2844 on: May 14, 2017, 11:12:15 pm »
Well, the series is over now. If you can't convert a 20 odd point lead you're never going to beat them. I don't really care who wins the finals but I was hoping SA could win this game just to have a somewhat competitive series. Disappointing.

Yes but come one, we lose our best player who had 26 points at that point in the game, against a team with 4 elite players. Any injury like that is a huge disadvantage.

We could have still won, so I am still fucking gutted.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2845 on: May 14, 2017, 11:13:08 pm »

Bad enough not to come back since the 3rd quarter. He landed on his ankle twice in that quarter, the 2nd time was the worse of the two.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2846 on: May 14, 2017, 11:13:29 pm »

The thing is he hurt it vs the Rockets and injured twice again tonight. I will be quite surprised if he is back for game 2.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2847 on: May 14, 2017, 11:14:12 pm »
Yes but come one, we lose our best player who had 26 points at that point in the game, against a team with 4 elite players. Any injury like that is a huge disadvantage.

I'm not really criticising SA, I think Popovich could've halted the Warriors' momentum earlier than he did and they allowed too many second chance opportunities in the second half but I appreciate the talent gap can't be easily bridged. I just wanted a competitive series. Feels like this was the Spurs' chance to land a blow and even if Leonard does return it's tough to forget a defeat like this.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2848 on: May 14, 2017, 11:14:24 pm »

A rolled ankle, the same one that he injured against Houston. There's really no way of knowing how bad, but reaggravating an injury that caused him to miss game 6 of the previous series can't be good news for him for game 2.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2849 on: May 14, 2017, 11:14:44 pm »
The thing is he hurt it vs the Rockets and injured twice again tonight. I will be quite surprised if he is back for game 2.

Bad enough not to come back since the 3rd quarter. He landed on his ankle twice in that quarter, the 2nd time was the worse of the two.

Cheers. If he's out they're well & truly fucked.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2850 on: May 14, 2017, 11:17:17 pm »
Spurs would have won easily had kawhi not got injured. If hes out for the series, this could be another 4-0

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2851 on: May 14, 2017, 11:19:18 pm »
I'm not really criticising SA, I think Popovich could've halted the Warriors' momentum earlier than he did and they allowed too many second chance opportunities in the second half but I appreciate the talent gap can't be easily bridged. I just wanted a competitive series. Feels like this was the Spurs' chance to land a blow and even if Leonard does return it's tough to forget a defeat like this.

Those two rebounds the Warriors got before Steph made the 3 was the dagger. Get the rebound and you end up more than likely winning the game.

Fine margins and all.

Offline Greatness

• Spineless and gutless
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2852 on: May 14, 2017, 11:21:03 pm »

Agreed, your best player getting injured while you in control of the game for that would effect any team in Basketball and I can't pin down any blame on the Spurs losing this game

A healthy Spurs team would of take this series to the distance, without Parker and now Kawhi it's an unfair fight which is a shame really as this Series had the potential to be an all time classic

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2853 on: May 14, 2017, 11:21:24 pm »

I agree with you, this was tough to swallow for the Spurs. When Kawhi left though, it was always coming, just a natter of when. Uncharacteristic turnovers became an issue for them in the 2h.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2854 on: May 14, 2017, 11:23:34 pm »
Those two rebounds the Warriors got before Steph made the 3 was the dagger. Get the rebound and you end up more than likely winning the game.

Fine margins and all.

Totally, that was the game right there. Although we somehow tried to screw it up by Klay turning it over to Mills. Was Pop out of time outs in the end? LMA had no business taking that three.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2855 on: May 14, 2017, 11:24:56 pm »

Fine margins and all.

It's certainly the play that will remain in the memory.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2856 on: May 14, 2017, 11:25:13 pm »
Dubs upped their intensity on defense which caused the turnovers. Paddy couldn't really get into any rhythm at all, he only had a couple of points, LA and Ginobili were really the only ones scoring after Kawhi got injured.  If you had said before the game that we would lose by 2, I would been ok, but having such an advantage and then slipping up is a tough pill to swallow.

Having said that, this team does have the mental fortitude to keep going and fighting. Hopefully Kawhi comes back for game 2, we must the next game to keep this interesting.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2857 on: May 14, 2017, 11:25:51 pm »
Gasol was crap.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2858 on: May 14, 2017, 11:26:41 pm »
Totally, that was the game right there. Although we somehow tried to screw it up by Klay turning it over to Mills. Was Pop out of time outs in the end? LMA had no business taking that three.

Yes they had taken all of their timeouts earlier. He made that one 3 earlier but you are right, anyone else I'm ok with taking that shot.

Btw, Gasol has been massively massively disappointing.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2859 on: May 14, 2017, 11:27:32 pm »
Gasol was crap.

He couldn't finish his dinner let alone a layup. He's been god awful the entire playoffs. Good guy but really not giving us anything.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2860 on: May 14, 2017, 11:43:51 pm »
Yes they had taken all of their timeouts earlier. He made that one 3 earlier but you are right, anyone else I'm ok with taking that shot.

Btw, Gasol has been massively massively disappointing.

Mills was disappointing for you guys i suppose. Missed some open shots, scared to penetrate when he had to and tried layup's when he is surrounded by Green, Durant and Zaza. Just some bad decisions.
Also Danny Green had to step up and take some shots in 2h. Whole team was just feeding LMA and looking at him whole time when they had to share a more balanced shot taking.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2861 on: May 15, 2017, 02:52:15 am »
Crazy stat: this is the first time that a Pop coached team has blown a 25+ points lead. He was 316-0 before tonight. Obviously it took an inury to his best player for it to happen, so even this one should come with an asterisk.

Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2862 on: May 15, 2017, 10:57:12 pm »
I jist watched Pop's interviews and his rant about Zaza being dirty and having a history of flagrant fouls, that he doesn't care about intentions etc. i understand where he is coming from and i feel for him and his team but that doesn't change the fact that i think he doesn't shy away from hypocrisy when it suits him.

If it was really that important to have full team, you should've said a word or two when league suspended Diaw and Stoudamire at the time for moving a few steps from the bench when your player Horry made a bitch move and elbowed Steve Nash. You coached Bowen for years and he mastered this "undercut" fouls, why didn't you take a step and talk to him for once when he was mastering that move? Last series Pop complained about flopping when Ginobili made a living from it during his career, now undercutting shooters which is what his player Bowen invented. What's next, complain about hack-a-shaq?

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2863 on: May 16, 2017, 12:02:08 am »
Kawhi will "obviously" sit out game 2, according to Popovich.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 12:05:01 am by Gods_Left_Boot »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2864 on: May 16, 2017, 12:42:52 am »
I jist watched Pop's interviews and his rant about Zaza being dirty and having a history of flagrant fouls, that he doesn't care about intentions etc. i understand where he is coming from and i feel for him and his team but that doesn't change the fact that i think he doesn't shy away from hypocrisy when it suits him.

If it was really that important to have full team, you should've said a word or two when league suspended Diaw and Stoudamire at the time for moving a few steps from the bench when your player Horry made a bitch move and elbowed Steve Nash. You coached Bowen for years and he mastered this "undercut" fouls, why didn't you take a step and talk to him for once when he was mastering that move? Last series Pop complained about flopping when Ginobili made a living from it during his career, now undercutting shooters which is what his player Bowen invented. What's next, complain about hack-a-shaq?

Zaza is a dirty player, he's got the history for it. having said that, Pop should have said nothing as it makes him a hypocrite, we had Bowen for years who did the very same thing.

He's pissed massively so I somewhat understand. Shit luck losing both Parker and Kawhi in the playoffs and we are up against the best side in the sport who have 4 magnificent players.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2865 on: May 16, 2017, 01:59:47 am »
Brooks still giving consistent minutes to Jennings, just a catastrophic misjudgement and mismanagement of his rotation. This is a man who couldn't manage to find a pattern to stagger Westbrook and Durant minutes for 5 solid years when in OKC and is still trusted to coach at this level.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2866 on: May 16, 2017, 02:09:23 am »
Brooks still giving consistent minutes to Jennings, just a catastrophic misjudgement and mismanagement of his rotation. This is a man who couldn't manage to find a pattern to stagger Westbrook and Durant minutes for 5 solid years when in OKC and is still trusted to coach at this level.

He really is an average coach, that OKC team should have done more than they did.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2867 on: May 16, 2017, 03:24:47 am »
If it wasnt for Bradley Beal this would be over by now, brilliant shooting.

Offline y2w902

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2868 on: May 16, 2017, 03:30:51 am »
Wall has been anonymous. Brooks with his late as fuck timeouts.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2869 on: May 16, 2017, 03:33:18 am »
Absymal defending by Washington, especially Gortat and Morris. If you allow a talentless, dirty hack like Olynyk to score 25 on you in a game 7 you deserve to go home. Unexplicable how Brooks has all but cut out Smith from his rotation after the was decent in this playoff run, despite Gortat being very poor. Also never tried to go smaller, with Oubre having a DNP.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2870 on: May 16, 2017, 03:22:00 pm »
It's been good series and home court advantage paid off for Celtics in the series. Wizards did well considering this is furthest they have been since 79.

I agree with God Left Boot, clearly Celtics bigs were capable of shooting the 3, Horford averaged 50% and Olynyk was wide open all the time. They had 6 games to learn your lesson and improve, they haven't. Wizards GM and Brooks should get some heat. Brooks just don't trust the bench, i know Oubre was out but Brooks should have made plays and give open looks to Bogdanovic, he is their best 3 point shooter. What was their GM thinking handing Mahinmi 4 year 64million? Injury prone, low basketball iq, brings absolutely nothing on offensive end. I really wonder why they didn't try to trade for Cousins. That could have been a game changer. Burke, Jennings, Mahinmi, Nicholson and Smith. Damn, their bench had 5 pts on 1-5 shooting. Wall is a beast, he was clearly gassed. If they got a bench PG that could give solid minutes, Wall would have been well rested.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2871 on: May 16, 2017, 03:30:33 pm »
Celtics-Cavs with Celtics having home court should be fun. It will be interesting if Celtics take the 1st game, i think that gme is key for them to start well and motivated. Celtics have a good team spirit, shouldn't be underestimated. Talent gap is big though, so I say 4-2 Cavs and if Olynyk takes one of big 3 down, it goes to 7.

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
  • Can climb two flights of stairs
« Reply #2872 on: May 16, 2017, 10:26:25 pm »
The real championship is tonight...Draft Lottery.  ;D

Fully expecting the Lakers to end up with the top spot and the subsequent rigged comments from fans.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2873 on: May 17, 2017, 01:54:36 am »
The real championship is tonight...Draft Lottery.  ;D

Fully expecting the Lakers to end up with the top spot and the subsequent rigged comments from fans.

To the surprise of exactly 0 people the Lakers keep their pick, as it falls in the top 3. The Suns drop to 4 and the Sixers (thanks to the pick swap they have with Sacramento) are also in the top 3, along with Boston.

1- Celtics
2- Lakers
3- Sixers

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
  • Can climb two flights of stairs
« Reply #2874 on: May 17, 2017, 02:08:17 am »
Sam Hinkie is a genius. Billy King will go down as the biggest moron in NBA history. Also, I feel for the Suns.

I would imagine the programming executives at ESPN are furiously pleasuring themselves over the possibility of Ball going to the Lakers.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2875 on: May 17, 2017, 02:11:13 am »
So the question is what will the Celtics do with Isaiah Thomas? Clearly Fultz will start if not this year, for sure next year. He is a superstar in making. I can see them trading him for a wing or big.

Also lol at Billy King and Brooklyn. Lavar Ball drama in city of angels should be fun too. Kings getting 5th and 10th picks is valuable as well to build something. Feel sorry for the Knicks and Suns.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2876 on: May 17, 2017, 02:18:40 am »
The C's should probably trade Isiah before renewing him while his value is at the highest possible point, or they'll be forced to give him the new 6 years-200M extension, and if you're Boston you don't want to be stuck paying 35M a year to a 5'8" guy in his thirties. If (like a think will happen) they get swept by the Cavs, Ainge might be tempted to do that, if it somehow resembles a competitive series it'll be difficult for them to justify dealing their best and most popular player, rather than running it again with the same nucleus + the first overall pick.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2877 on: May 17, 2017, 02:24:49 am »
The C's should probably trade Isiah before renewing him while his value is at the highest possible point, or they'll be forced to give him the new 6 years-200M extension, and if you're Boston you don't want to be stuck paying 35M a year to a 5'8" guy in his thirties. If (like a think will happen) they get swept by the Cavs, Ainge might be tempted to do that, if it somehow resembles a competitive series it'll be difficult for them to justify dealing their best and most popular player, rather than running it again with the same nucleus + the first overall pick.

Totally with you. They can play them together but Fultz needs the ball in his hand and with IT signed to a long contract, it will hurt his improvement and as you said it will be pointless having IT signed for a lot of room. I already think Horford contract will hurt them in a year or so. But if they trade IT and then fail reeatedly in the play off's, they be mocked immediately. I think Ainge is a ruthless type and he will try to trade Isaiah.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2878 on: May 17, 2017, 02:37:42 am »
Curry on fire, already 15 pts in 1q. This is bloodbath already, 33-16 for my Warriors after 1q but not enjoying this blow out win without Kawhi. Switched to nhl play off's.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2879 on: May 17, 2017, 02:38:58 am »
Depressing to watch. Terrible on both ends, but hardly suprising, just hope we get Kawhi back by Saturday