Author Topic: Expectations For 2015/16 Season (Brenties Crystal-Ball Thread Mk. II)  (Read 169074 times)

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Expectations For 2015/16 Season (Brenties Crystal-Ball Thread Mk. II)
« Reply #1040 on: August 2, 2015, 02:14:58 pm »
Think we'll end up 5th or 6th.  The attack will be better but we're still going to leak goals and defend like schoolboys.

Amazes me when I see Fabian Schar went to Hoffenheim (effectively using the money we gave them) for £3m. Would have been an instant improvement for the same price we sold Lambert for. I don't think our defence needs totally taking apart but maybe does need another top class cb there. 
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #1041 on: August 2, 2015, 02:57:27 pm »
5th or 6th is a fairly likely end position for us IMO. There are too many 'ifs' involved in us finishing in the CL spots to be confident of it happening to be honest. I believe the top 4 from last season will occupy the spots again. We may finish ahead of Spurs (hardly a guarantee) but:

Chelsea will likely win the league and we're a fair bit behind them right now.
Arsenal may actually embark on a proper title challenge this season.
City 'should' be in the Top 4 but I don't think they are certs.
United could finish anywhere from 2nd to 6th IMO.

'If' 1 or 2 of the above have shit seasons, we need to be able to capitalise. A lot depends on Benteke's performances I would say since we will likely concede a fair few goals as per usual.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1042 on: August 2, 2015, 03:28:34 pm »
It's funny in a way but what we have right now is exactly what we missed in that 08/09 season under Rafa ie. coutinho and firmino type players. And what we miss now is exactly what we had then

A solid back 4 with alonso and mascherano in front.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #1043 on: August 2, 2015, 03:30:20 pm »
It's funny in a way but what we have right now is exactly what we missed in that 08/09 season under Rafa ie. coutinho and firmino type players. And what we miss now is exactly what we had then

A solid back 4 with alonso and mascherano in front.

We don't know yet if we have a goalscorer yet though, too
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1044 on: August 2, 2015, 03:44:26 pm »
We don't know yet if we have a goalscorer yet though, too

Sturridge is, Torres was injury prone too, not as much like.

if only you could merge the two teams and managers and we'd have title number 19 and 20

Offline Weby72.

• Kopite
« Reply #1045 on: August 2, 2015, 04:55:03 pm »
To get top 4 - which must be our interim goal, as part of a bigger plan to challenge again for the title - then we'll have to hit the ground running in terms of picking up points, then maintain form.

Meanwhile, I still think we'll need one of last year's top 4 to be patchy. As has been said, the two Manc clubs appear most likely to struggle for consistency; with the red twats dependent on transfer activity up to the end of the month (principally the de Gea situation, and who they get to replace di Maria)

I'd prefer better deep-lying midfield (i won't call it a 'defensive midfielder') options than Lucas (post-injuries version) and Allen, but I don't think top 4 is totally beyond us. We had luck line up for us in 2013/14 (until the last 3 games), then completely go against us last season. A bit of luck to go in our  favour this coming campaign and we can do it.

Offline arab88

• BED WETTER
  • Kopite
  • Proud to be a RED!
« Reply #1046 on: August 2, 2015, 09:25:02 pm »
Top 4 is a must for a club like Liverpool FC. I think it will be harder for us than it was last season to get a champions league place but at the same time if our strikers,Benteke and Sturridge manage to stay fit,everything is possible. Finger crossed we will deliver this season and get back to champions league football where we belong .

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #1047 on: August 2, 2015, 10:10:35 pm »
Really pleased by the form we have showed across the squad in pre-season, we're gonna hit the ground running and be right up there til the end. This squad will take us close.

Offline TheSoundLady

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1048 on: August 3, 2015, 03:48:41 am »
I'm not so sure that United side is that much better than last season. They need more goalscorers, they currently don't have the goalscorers to put away 80 or so goals needed for 2nd place.

City and Arsenal do however, we possibly do but it depends on how our new signings settle. As things stand I'd probably have us ahead of United ur dspends who they bring in, for instance someone like Pedro could add 10-15 goals to their side.

It's weird... I Know that on paper it's Chelsea, City and Arsenal, and on paper us, Spurs and United will battle for 4th.

But in my mind I can't shake this image of Arsenal and City struggling, and us and United flying. And Spurs stealing 4th ahead of both City and Arsenal. I think the fact that absolutely everyone thinks the concept is bonkers, makes me more sure it's going to happen. Lol

Offline Torben Piechniks Y-Fronts

• Kopite
  • A Liverbird, upon my chest
« Reply #1049 on: August 3, 2015, 10:02:55 am »
I've no idea how this season will go. Our main issues last year were mainly a blunt attack and an average defence. Benteke should score goals for us and that will help. Firmino? Simply no idea if he will perform, looks a good player. Ings? Will give 100% and run like fuck, probably get 8-10 league goals. Origi will take time to adapt to the PL. Have we sorted out out attack problems with the above? The best we can say is maybe. Sturridge getting and staying fit helps enormously of course.

Defensively I am anxious. Clyne is a good player and improve the right side definitely. Mignolet was awful for the first part of last season, truly dreadful but then improved and played some excellent games. Which one will we see this season will have a huge impact on how we perform,that hasn't been discussed much but Bodgan seems to be a reasonable number two. And that's all. Hope the GK position doesn't hurt us this season.
Centre backs seems to be a straight fight between Sahko and Lovren. Lovren is Brendan's buy, Sahko aparently wasn't. Seems Lovren will get the nod to start the season. I think he is a poor defender. He is rash, lacks pace and reading of the game, is awful in a one on one situation which will happen a lot this year and when he gets turned he looks like he is running in water. Sahko reads the game better, has good pace, is aggressive and "front foot" as well but has the ability to get back. He does do something stupid it seems in nearly every game and his style makes you shit yourself every time he has the ball although his stats say this is needless as he is actually very good  in possession (especially the slide rule pass to sterling and Coutinhio last year). Moreno at left back getting caught up the field will expose Lovren time and again as it did last season so Gomez may well help if he lives us to his pre season potential abut it's still not an area of the team you would consider solid or strong.

Lucas will be the only genuine holding midfielder now that Allen is out for a while. I do not think Lucas can maintain a consistent level of performance in this role to offer the protection our defence needs. He can go from sublime to absolutely anonymous from game to game and we simply cannot afford that. Like Lovren, when he gets turned he looks like he is going backwards and in the position he plays that will happen, see Stoke away horror show for perfect example. Allen was similar last year, good then bad in equal measure, end of last season this was an area I felt we desperately needed improvement but it hasn't happened.
To me centre back and defensive midfield are the two glaring weaknesses in the squad at the minute and I do not think they have been addressed this summer. We are overloaded in other areas, attacking midfield for example but we are definitely short at centre back and DM.

Good teams will be able to score against us, that is the crux of what I am saying, we are not difficult to score against and although we may well score more goals than last year, a lot more I'm hoping, we are going to lose games because of gaps at the back.
I think the buying has finished for the summer and desperately hope we have enough to dominate weaker teams and get the majority of out points needed against them.
I'm not convinced we have addressed the key areas as aggressively as we could have and think if we had we could have challenged for the title rather than the top four we will this year.

Better than last year? Yes, almost certainly but in my opinion could have been so much more.
Anyway, can't wait to get started, best of luck Redmen everywhere, 100% behind the manager and team from here on in.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool."

Offline Miro

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1050 on: August 3, 2015, 10:48:28 am »
I've no idea how this season will go. Our main issues last year were mainly a blunt attack and an average defence. Benteke should score goals for us and that will help. Firmino? Simply no idea if he will perform, looks a good player. Ings? Will give 100% and run like fuck, probably get 8-10 league goals. Origi will take time to adapt to the PL. Have we sorted out out attack problems with the above? The best we can say is maybe. Sturridge getting and staying fit helps enormously of course.

Defensively I am anxious. Clyne is a good player and improve the right side definitely. Mignolet was awful for the first part of last season, truly dreadful but then improved and played some excellent games. Which one will we see this season will have a huge impact on how we perform,that hasn't been discussed much but Bodgan seems to be a reasonable number two. And that's all. Hope the GK position doesn't hurt us this season.
Centre backs seems to be a straight fight between Sahko and Lovren. Lovren is Brendan's buy, Sahko aparently wasn't. Seems Lovren will get the nod to start the season. I think he is a poor defender. He is rash, lacks pace and reading of the game, is awful in a one on one situation which will happen a lot this year and when he gets turned he looks like he is running in water. Sahko reads the game better, has good pace, is aggressive and "front foot" as well but has the ability to get back. He does do something stupid it seems in nearly every game and his style makes you shit yourself every time he has the ball although his stats say this is needless as he is actually very good  in possession (especially the slide rule pass to sterling and Coutinhio last year). Moreno at left back getting caught up the field will expose Lovren time and again as it did last season so Gomez may well help if he lives us to his pre season potential abut it's still not an area of the team you would consider solid or strong.

Lucas will be the only genuine holding midfielder now that Allen is out for a while. I do not think Lucas can maintain a consistent level of performance in this role to offer the protection our defence needs. He can go from sublime to absolutely anonymous from game to game and we simply cannot afford that. Like Lovren, when he gets turned he looks like he is going backwards and in the position he plays that will happen, see Stoke away horror show for perfect example. Allen was similar last year, good then bad in equal measure, end of last season this was an area I felt we desperately needed improvement but it hasn't happened.
To me centre back and defensive midfield are the two glaring weaknesses in the squad at the minute and I do not think they have been addressed this summer. We are overloaded in other areas, attacking midfield for example but we are definitely short at centre back and DM.

Good teams will be able to score against us, that is the crux of what I am saying, we are not difficult to score against and although we may well score more goals than last year, a lot more I'm hoping, we are going to lose games because of gaps at the back.
I think the buying has finished for the summer and desperately hope we have enough to dominate weaker teams and get the majority of out points needed against them.
I'm not convinced we have addressed the key areas as aggressively as we could have and think if we had we could have challenged for the title rather than the top four we will this year.

Better than last year? Yes, almost certainly but in my opinion could have been so much more.
Anyway, can't wait to get started, best of luck Redmen everywhere, 100% behind the manager and team from here on in.

Spot on with your analysis and predictions in my opinion. Share the same views but nevertheless very excited for the season to come.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1051 on: August 3, 2015, 12:19:25 pm »
Amazes me when I see Fabian Schar went to Hoffenheim (effectively using the money we gave them) for £3m. Would have been an instant improvement for the same price we sold Lambert for. I don't think our defence needs totally taking apart but maybe does need another top class cb there.

There's one clear way we can improve our defense but the manager doesn't seem to see it. 

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #1052 on: August 3, 2015, 01:01:39 pm »
There's one clear way we can improve our defense but the manager doesn't seem to see it. 

And yet you, a random person on the Internet does see it. One of 2 things is clear. 1) We should sack Rodgers and hire you or 2) Rodgers knows more than you. Guess which one I think it is?
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline Joff

• Nah.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1053 on: August 3, 2015, 01:48:54 pm »
And yet you, a random person on the Internet does see it. One of 2 things is clear. 1) We should sack Rodgers and hire you or 2) Rodgers knows more than you. Guess which one I think it is?
I can't see where he claimed Rodgers should be sacked...
Nah.

Offline Ipcress

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1054 on: August 3, 2015, 02:32:30 pm »

Not just him. Match going reds and armchair supporters all seem to see it. The concern is that Rodgers has a blind spot and this could cost us this season. Please note the use of the words seem, concern and could. I do not want Rodgers sacked, I would like him to pick Sakho over Lovren. As of yet we have not been presented with a proper reason as to why a fit Lovren should be picked above a fit Sakho.
The sort of people that seek power, are exactly the sort that should be kept away from it.

Offline Firebird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1055 on: August 3, 2015, 02:46:09 pm »
Reckon we will scrape 4th, ahead of one of the Manc clubs !!   Chelsea and Arse wo finish top two in that order, with us and the mancs fighting it out for 3/4/5th

Spurs will be left trailing in our wake in a distant 6th.

The key to all of this is a decent start in the first half of the season, and ensuring we are not cut adrift of top 4.  We probably need to be within 4/5 points max.  I think we can have a strong 2nd half of season with the new players really starting to gel.  Of course, first half won't be easy with the run of tough away games, but we need to grind some results out of these, hoping for some magic from the new boys.  To counter that, we do have some winnable home games during that run, so we should be racking up some points and making Anfield a fortress again.

Would love us to win the Europa but I think a QF place could be realistic.

Domestic cups - can see us playing the kids in the League Cup, so who knows. 
FA Cup - WINNERS !!!

Justice

Offline flyingbulletsfromjohnarne

• Main Stander
« Reply #1056 on: August 3, 2015, 02:55:17 pm »

Or 3, Rodgers makes a selection mistake (it has been know to happen) and we move on

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
« Reply #1057 on: August 3, 2015, 03:08:19 pm »
I think we'll do better this season. Just cast my mind back over last years results and there were some terrible points dropped all over the season.

I'm looking at it in very basic terms. If we manage 4 more wins or 12 points more than last year we'll make 4th place. 3rd possibly if we did the double over arsenal or united assuming city and chelsea occupy the top 2 places.

Even an extra 10 points would probably do it but relying on double over whoever would end up 5th.

We dropped 5 points to Hull (replace with watford, bournemouth or norwich)  and 6 to Palace. theres 11 points straight off.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #1058 on: August 3, 2015, 03:28:47 pm »
Or 3, Rodgers makes a selection mistake (it has been know to happen) and we move on
Or 4) the poster called Suareznumber7 IS Brendan Rodgers himself, making points 1 and 2 void.  :rollseyes

Offline Lippy The Lion

• Kopite
« Reply #1059 on: August 3, 2015, 03:43:39 pm »
5th or 6th boringly

I think Rodgers can get a team playing well and put a good run together. I fear his teams can also have the wheels fall off and not fight out the 1-1 draws away that are required, with a mean defence.

If everything does go our way with Benteke scoring and our key players remaining injury free, the defence being better and some of last years buys coming good then yes we may have a chance for 4th, but how likely is that?

The pressure will be ridiculous from all sides - fans, owners, media etc if the start is as poor as last year.

'To do is to be' - Sartre

'To be is to do' - Descartes

'Do be do be do' - Sinatra

Offline Torben Piechniks Y-Fronts

• Kopite
  • A Liverbird, upon my chest
« Reply #1060 on: August 3, 2015, 05:17:45 pm »
Spot on with your analysis and predictions in my opinion. Share the same views but nevertheless very excited for the season to come.

Yep, same here can't wait, hopefully we blast a few teams early, get the confidence up and have a good run at it.
Looking forward to it.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool."

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #1061 on: August 3, 2015, 08:09:30 pm »
This season is entirely on Rodgers. There are no players to hide behind, he's entirely exposed. The group of players he has, is more than capable of getting Champions League football.

If he's as good as he tells us he is, we'll be right up there in the mix for 3rd/4th.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #1062 on: August 3, 2015, 08:14:06 pm »
This season is entirely on Rodgers. There are no players to hide behind, he's entirely exposed. The group of players he has, is more than capable of getting Champions League football.

If he's as good as he tells us he is, we'll be right up there in the mix for 3rd/4th.

I thought you weren't coming back till September?

Did they let you out for good behaviour? Actually forget that...Silly question. ;)

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1063 on: August 3, 2015, 08:14:10 pm »

When did he tell us how good he is?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1064 on: August 3, 2015, 08:15:13 pm »
Can't see why we can't get top 4

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1065 on: August 3, 2015, 08:15:19 pm »
I think we'll see the type of football we saw in 13/14.

A bit shakey at the back but fucking brilliant going forward!!

Im all for a bit of that!!

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1066 on: August 3, 2015, 08:17:07 pm »
When did he tell us how good he is?

I guess he means quotes like:

"I don't think there's anyone better. That's the reality of how I see it." or "I don’t think there would be anyone better to do the job here"
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Magz50

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1067 on: August 3, 2015, 08:18:12 pm »
I think we'll just miss out on top 4, we certainly have a squad almost good enough for it.  If Utd lose De Gea then it may make it much more interesting battling for top 4.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1068 on: August 3, 2015, 08:20:03 pm »
I guess he means quotes like:

"I don't think there's anyone better. That's the reality of how I see it." or "I don’t think there would be anyone better to do the job here"
No one would say any different

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1069 on: August 3, 2015, 08:20:39 pm »
No one would say any different

I was just answering a question
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1070 on: August 3, 2015, 08:25:11 pm »
I was just answering a question
And I'm just saying such quote's are hardly anything to view as a negative

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1071 on: August 3, 2015, 09:05:28 pm »
Haha, can just imagine the reaction in here if Rodgers says he doesn't think he's the right man for the job.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #1072 on: August 3, 2015, 09:08:05 pm »

How are you getting to that conclusion?
It looks weaker than any of the 4 that made CL last season (this is backed up by the value of the squads especially the first teams)
It would be a pretty clear over achievement to finish ahead of one of them

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #1073 on: August 3, 2015, 09:11:34 pm »
It looks weaker than any of the 4 that made CL last season (this is backed up by the value of the squads especially the first teams)

I'd say we have an overall better squad than United. They are a Rooney injury away from having no striker.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #1074 on: August 3, 2015, 09:12:43 pm »

Teams above are ordinary, which will be seen when they get the piss battered out of them again in Europe this season.

Firmino, Coutinho, Benteke, with Henderson and Milner in midfield is a very fine basis.
« Last Edit: August 3, 2015, 09:16:41 pm by Katie Price-tag »

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1075 on: August 3, 2015, 09:15:46 pm »

I agree with you but there is plenty of talent in the squad to finish in the top four. If one of the teams levels drop we should be capitolising. We should be clocking up 70-76 points. Anything lower and we have underachieved.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #1076 on: August 3, 2015, 09:16:21 pm »

I actually think we have caught ground on all 4 of them as it stands. The problem is I'd be very surprised if Utd, City and Arsenal go into next season with the squads they have and make do with what they have got. By time the transfer window shuts I can see all 3 of them making some big signings to strengthen their squads. Lessening our chances of making top 4.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1077 on: August 3, 2015, 09:17:04 pm »
Teams above are ordinary, which will be seen when they get the piss battered out of them again in Europe this season.

Fermino, Coutinho, Benteke, with Henderson and Milner in midfield is a very fine basis.

Don't buy the ordinary tag at all but there we go.

Those are all good players; three of them have never kicked a ball in a competitive game for us and I'm not sure any of them would be first choice for a top 4 team right now; maybe the odd one in the odd position but its tough to argue we're awash with players who would be dead certs to start in the teams above us

Tomkins analysis was pretty spot on I think - we're out gunned in the level of player we're putting out compared to the top 4 from last season
http://tomkinstimes.com/2015/08/liverpool-fcs-big-experiment-a-season-preview/

Doesn't mean it's impossible to finish in the top 4 but to argue it would be a failure of the manager not to is a big reach

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1078 on: August 3, 2015, 09:17:31 pm »
Haha, can just imagine the reaction in here if Rodgers says he doesn't think he's the right man for the job.
After that Palace game when we were literally in the mire to lift the squad up so much that we win 40pts over the next 17 PL games which is title-challenging form is something you`d think only top top managers would be capable of - so he`s not far in his assessment, unfortunately we ran out of the steam as that run took too much out of us.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1079 on: August 3, 2015, 09:19:21 pm »
If one of the teams levels drop we should be capitolising.

This bit I agree with - and I think we will if it were to happen

However i think at least 3 of the 4 (Chelsea may struggle to hit last year's points total) will probably be stronger this season than last