Author Topic: Liverpool 0 - Real Madrid 3 FT  (Read 92562 times)

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool 0 - Real Madrid 3 FT
« Reply #1240 on: October 23, 2014, 02:09:58 pm »
Second best.

It wouldn't be so bad if we managed the game without the ball ok, then conceded off a few poor defensive movements. For those of you who watch a bit of Italian league / Rafa's fortunes, that's pretty much what has gone on with his defence this season so far (he's got some work to do there as well to restore his rep for defensive excellence), so it's easy to compare and contrast. With that, there is hope that you will improve with time.

What was worrying was the ease with which Madrid could work space to the side and often behind our midfield almost every time that they seriously attempted to. That kind of consistently shoddy defensive work from midfield will tell on your backline sooner or later. The problem isn't with any individual player, but how they are instructed to come together as a team. I see that Johnson's comments have been used against him as an attitude issue, but he's a player who's faced with it first hand, what do you expect him to say. Him launching into a few tackles or getting sent off isn't going to change the ease with which the line ahead of him was bypassed, exposing him a fair few times to Madrid's most dangerous players without support. They were simply better, better organised to cope with us, well prepped to exploit space.

The hope is work is done over the coming months by Rodgers and his staff to improve this aspect of our play over the season; so that there is less pressure on our attackers to make up for the issues behind them. That kind of frustration will so easily spread through the team, leading to players turning on each other if we don't arrest it. Last season's attacking excellence delayed the issue, but we have to confront it now.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #1241 on: October 23, 2014, 02:17:14 pm »
ronaldo skinned johnson in he first half very badly.
yeah ONCE, the one where Mignolet saved it comfortably. He stopped him in crucial 1v1s 3-4 times though. Credit where it's due

Offline muyuu

• Google Groomer. reddit remain campaigner.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Rafa - fact
« Reply #1242 on: October 23, 2014, 02:37:24 pm »
Mario doesn't seem to be the brightest chap... pretty sure it didn't even occur to him that swapping shirts at HT is not kosher.
"Chelsea have confirmed that their interim fans will leave the club when Roman Abramovich does"
-sinnermichael

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=303961.msg11432382#msg11432382

Offline Reese

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1243 on: October 23, 2014, 02:48:38 pm »
Mario doesn't seem to be the brightest chap... pretty sure it didn't even occur to him that swapping shirts at HT is not kosher.
Just like Sakho?

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #1244 on: October 23, 2014, 02:49:58 pm »
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline MrRaptorTurtle

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1245 on: October 23, 2014, 02:51:52 pm »
Sorry but can someone explain to me what the problem is with swapping shirts at half time? I don't get why it's such a big deal?  ???

Offline kkjellquist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1246 on: October 23, 2014, 02:53:16 pm »
Sorry but can someone explain to me what the problem is with swapping shirts at half time? I don't get why it's such a big deal?  ???

For me it means you're admitting the game is over.  It's not a HUGE deal, but it shouldn't be done and shows a lack of thought.
"Statistics are like bikinis—they show a lot but not everything." - Lou Piniella

Offline adamski29

• Kopite
    • limerick sliding wardrobes
« Reply #1247 on: October 23, 2014, 03:00:01 pm »
At least some of the other signings look like they could adapt to our style of play. Balotelli just looks like a square peg for a round hole.

He does! But that's not ballatelli s fault. Blame the people that signed him and lambart while we're at it.
I don't blame ballatelli he is what he is we knew or rather should have known when we signed him.
If Mario was integrating and doing reasonably well and we were playing better no one would give a fuck about the shirt swapping I know I wouldn't.
We have bigger issues to worry  about, like a defence that is simply fucking abysmal. Amongst other things.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1248 on: October 23, 2014, 03:03:51 pm »
yeah ONCE, the one where Mignolet saved it comfortably. He stopped him in crucial 1v1s 3-4 times though. Credit where it's due

I'll be honest with you, I thought the same thing.

In fact I'll venture that's why Ronaldo moved central because he got little joy out of Glenn. I'd say Marcelo gave Johnson the bigger problem.

He's being pillioried for little reason imo.
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1249 on: October 23, 2014, 03:06:38 pm »
I'll be honest with you, I thought the same thing.

In fact I'll venture that's why Ronaldo moved central because he got little joy out of Glenn. I'd say Marcelo gave Johnson the bigger problem.

He's being pillioried for little reason imo.

He was getting criticised before the match even started (so was Lucas, which is even more strange given he wasn't even playing) as if people had already made their minds up that he was going play poorly so it's no surprise that he's bing criticised post match as well.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #1250 on: October 23, 2014, 03:10:54 pm »
He was getting criticised before the match even started (so was Lucas, which is even more strange given he wasn't even playing) as if people had already made their minds up that he was going play poorly so it's no surprise that he's bing criticised post match as well.

confirmation bias :(

Only notice the things a player does to support your opinion of said player,  thereby ignoring all the things they do that would not confirm said bias
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline NealFrom25Yards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1251 on: October 23, 2014, 03:11:02 pm »
At least some of the other signings look like they could adapt to our style of play. Balotelli just looks like a square peg for a round hole.

Balotelli has impressed more than Markovic, certainly - yet, to quote the philosopher Shania Twain - he don't impress me much.

I thought Lallana was very good again though, along with Can's interesting cameo. Definitely time for a run of starts for both.

Offline adamski29

• Kopite
    • limerick sliding wardrobes
« Reply #1252 on: October 23, 2014, 03:23:16 pm »
My post is not aimed specifically at the Madrid game - although the game highlighted it more so than any other so far this season because of the fine way we played in that opening quarter of the game. So what I'm saying may well be the wrong thread for it. It's just that I cannot get out of my head what I see as such a basic  underlying transfer management mistake.

At the moment, and as we so clearly witnessed in the madrid game, the emphasis seems to be on the intrinsic inability of the defence to defend. I can see that. You would have to be blind not to see it.

However, the thing I cannot get out of my head and is eating me up is why when last season we had qualified so magnificently for the Champions League why are we now facing a team like Madrid without a solitary forward outlet/striker comparable to the fleet of foot, inventive, goal thirsty forward outlets which procured us that qualification?

Instead, the forward outlets we currently have consist of two relatively immobile big men both of whom constitute the complete opposite in forward/striker styles to what we had last season together with a player who is willing and pacy but who whenever I've seen him seems incapable of providing a worthwhile final pass or finish.

Tellingly and understandable given the showings so far of the players concerned, not one of the three appear to carry the confidence of the supporters in their ability or perhaps more significantly in their respective playing styles and what they bring to the table for the team. Even more tellingly they do not seem to carry the confidence of their manager and their playing colleagues.

I simply cannot fathom it.

We knew in well enough time that Suarez was on his way and we knew Daniel Sturridge was injury prone.

So why did we not make the necessary provision to replace them/provide the requisite back up?

How did we arrive in the pitiful situation where in last night's second half we are attempting to score against Madrid without a solitary forward striking player on the pitch because the manager has no faith or confidence in the three strikers he has available?

How can that be?

I do not see much other football besides our own these days but I simply do not accept there was nothing out there other than Lambert and Balotelli. I've seen enough of the likes of West Ham, West Brom, Southampton etc to know this isn't the case and god knows what was/is available across Europe and South America.

I do not crave a new Suarez - well I do but you know what I mean - and I realise the pacy striking talents such as purchased by the teams I mentioned are not in that class but players of that style and ability could at the very least have provided a passing resemblance to the striking outlets we boasted last season.

And please do not quote Origi and Remy to me. I'm sick to the back teeth of hearing the reasons we haven't got them at the moment/won't ever get them.

It seems to me there has been a significant and very possibly [but hopefully not] a costly cock up in the transfer management of this club. I do not know who is responsible for it and to be honest as long as we can get Daniel Sturridge back and firing very quickly and bring in some comparable pacy striking talents in the January to complement him and/or replace him when he's injured I don't really fucking care. Mistakes happen in football. The important thing is rectifying them.

Our defence may well be flimsy right now and clearly demands urgent attention but a team without an outlet in which it believes and feeds is on a loser from the start.

Good post

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1253 on: October 23, 2014, 03:25:14 pm »
This is what I'd do in Madrid...

manquillo----------Skrtel-----------Lovren---------Moreno

-------------------Gerrard----------Henderson------------

-----------Sterling-------Coutinho--------Lallana--------

---------------------------Lambert-----------------------

Offline RedDevo

• Main Stander
« Reply #1254 on: October 23, 2014, 03:26:13 pm »
A crumb of comfort from Spain's AS paper:

England remains the temple of all of the great values in this sport – and Anfield especially, but not only Liverpool’s fabled ground. Just one visit to Liverpool’s stadium can cure us, if only temporarily, of at least some of the tiresome tittle-tattle which we have to abide so frequently in this country. Football has always been a game of beauty, but it’s even more beautiful when it is viewed with the respect shown last night on Merseyside.

A lot of talk about the atmosphere at Anfield these days but seeing the stadium full till the end and the generous applause and appreciation shown to an excellent Real team and the dignity in defeat was a heart warming highlight from last night. The Emirates and OT would have been empty with 15 minutes to go. The Etihad would have been half empty to start with.

Offline Serano

• Kopite
« Reply #1255 on: October 23, 2014, 03:28:31 pm »
And we have an option to buy, I've seen nothing to suggest at this point whether we will be keeping him or sending him back. I'd like to keep him and have 2 hungry and talented right backs on the books.

I was under the impression that they have a buyback clause insertef and can recall him within the next 2 years if they choose to. Perhaps I'm wrong? Either way, it's an odd deal, and may explain why Arsenal pulled out earlier in the transfer window.

Just think Flannagan is the more logical choice for the position.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1256 on: October 23, 2014, 03:43:19 pm »

The media are making more out of it than it is really, knowing it'll 'cause debate. Seen some suggestions around that its detracting from the real point. (No pun intended)... There's a hint that Mario had just given up at half-time and him not being on the bench on the second half adds more petrol. It's a fairly big statement to make and I think Rooney got a bit of stick once for throwing off a shirt (Was it Rooney?), a while back.

There might be more to it, there might not; who knows? But it's the media's job to speculate and cause debate. Personally, I think we've got bigger issues concerning the team, but the question for me is whether or not Balotelli is at the centre of those issues. Whatever the weather, it is fairly clear that the lad is looking like a misfit at this moment in time. That may change with a different approach, but whilst he isn't really doing anything to silence his critics, he isn't really doing anything to quantify his transfer.

I think the Madrid game was a bit of a tell. We did show signs of what made us such an attacking threat last season, but by that same token, the game also highlighted how much of a predicament we are in at the moment. Our common tactic seemed very much there, hit them from the off, have them on the back foot and then hit them on the counter as they try to claw back. A bit like sinking sand, the more you try to get out of it, the more you get sucked in. Watching our tactics from last season, I'm always reminded about a certain Anthony Hopkins film, "The Edge". The tactic used to kill a bear is to prod and stab at the Bear with a long and sharp stick. Inflict damage in order to rile the Bear and instigate it into an enraged, full on standing lunge attack. When it does lunge, you simply steady the base of the stick and angle it in such a way that the bear impales itself. Keeping with this shitty analogy, our tip at the moment seems blunt and fucking shite; but what Madrid and the likes of Chelsea, Villa and others seem to have worked out is that patience and perseverance seem to in fact rile us.

It's a pretty sad state of affairs when one has to express their footballing views/opinions via the form of a crappy film. Fuck it, I've read some other wildy lucid accounts of the breakdown of our tactics (As well some very eloquent ones), so shite-on-a-stick, one more isn't going to make any odds.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline RedDevo

• Main Stander
« Reply #1257 on: October 23, 2014, 03:46:18 pm »
We are struggling with three games in a week (compounded by the disruption of international breaks).

So far this season Brendan has not had the time he is used to, to prepare his team for matches. He is an excellent coach, whose strength is working with players on the training pitch, improving them and helping them understand and fit into his philosophy.

There are too may new players in the starting XI and he has simply not have enough time to do his stuff on the training pitch. If some players require two days rest after each game he is going to have to live with players going from game to game without any meaningful training in-between.

Teams that are successful in the CL tend have a maturity, an understanding that allows them to roll from one game to the next unhurt by the lack of preparation time. Managers need merely to tweak formations and personnel.

Brendan I fear is suffering the same fate as Villas Boas by having too many new players to try and bed in and coach his philosophy to. Hopefully it will come with time it will just take longer than we would all like.

On top of this, fatigue is a problem already and we’re only in October. There is much talk of the players being trained to peak physically over the Christmas period. This will pay dividends later in the season but right now we look under-cooked. Sterling is working his socks off but he looks tired and lacking the sharpness of last year.

Currently we are a team incapable of playing with the intensity that a Brendan Rodgers side needs to be successful. I’m looking forward to seeing us play some sublime football in the new year, the problem is our season could be over by then.

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #1258 on: October 23, 2014, 03:48:58 pm »

He does! But that's not ballatelli s fault. Blame the people that signed him and lambart while we're at it.
I don't blame ballatelli he is what he is we knew or rather should have known when we signed him.
If Mario was integrating and doing reasonably well and we were playing better no one would give a fuck about the shirt swapping I know I wouldn't.
We have bigger issues to worry  about, like a defence that is simply fucking abysmal. Amongst other things.

Exactly, the shirt swapping is disappointing but it's a distraction from the real issues at the moment.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #1259 on: October 23, 2014, 03:50:53 pm »
As a Toothless and Sturridgeless team, we have but one threat.

2 Centrebacks and a goalkeeper that do not share a common language presents a problem.

We are a scrappy team with much young talent and a few pieces of dead wood.

This was a lesson for our kids to learn.

Enjoy the moment, build for the future.

Walk on.
Kill the humourless

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #1260 on: October 23, 2014, 03:51:30 pm »

I thought Johnson had a pretty good game.  Seemed to win the majority of his challenges.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #1261 on: October 23, 2014, 03:51:54 pm »
2 Centrebacks and a goalkeeper that do not share a common language presents a problem.

Sorry what? I'm pretty sure they all understand and speak English.

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1262 on: October 23, 2014, 03:53:04 pm »
Does anyone know what our best XI is?

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1263 on: October 23, 2014, 04:01:13 pm »

Yeah, so there's a Belgian, Croat and and a Slovak in a bar... The Barkeep asks:

"Whose round is it?"

"Mine", "Mine", "Mine", they all repl...

In fact fuck it, you get the point.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline unusg

• heron
  • Kopite
  • first is first. second is nowhere !!
« Reply #1264 on: October 23, 2014, 04:41:20 pm »
having waited the best part of the day to get the loss out of my system so to speak and read what is being said on the various threads, the main points i wanted to make (apologies to those who have also posted the same) are as follows:

First the positives

Attack wise i thought we did okay and got into decent positions but failed at the critical point in making the right decision to shoot or pass.

Sterling, Coutinho and Lallana were good and Balotelli wasnt as bad as people make out, he is lacking confidence and seems to be doing a Torres in pulling out wide to get into space but not pushing on into the box. Yes he's a prat for shirt swapping but for me that is not an issue really that a quiet word wouldnt solve.

The negatives.

The midfield was really pulled out of shape partly due to their movement but also because individuals chased the ball rather than hunt in small groups. This left space in behind to attack the defence, isolating the defenders which in the main they coped with.

The biggest issue for me is defensive co-ordination at set pieces and when under pressure. All of the defenders are playing as individuals and not as a unit. That was obvious for the second and third goals. Yes Johnson got caught under the ball but if you look again he was outnumbered by two attackers (see West Ham game). The third goal was shocking as three defenders got caught under the ball with mignolet a little flat footed in coming out to collect the ricochet before Benzema scored. That for me is about communication, decision making and practice which has to be dealt with.

Finally , we played one of the best team in Europe with a virtual world xi line (barring a couple of players) who were above anything we have played in the last few years and the gulf in class showed. Sometimes you have to acknowledge that no matter how much it hurts.

Offline MazzaRed

• Kopite
« Reply #1265 on: October 23, 2014, 04:58:46 pm »
My post is not aimed specifically at the Madrid game - although the game highlighted it more so than any other so far this season because of the fine way we played in that opening quarter of the game. So what I'm saying may well be the wrong thread for it. It's just that I cannot get out of my head what I see as such a basic  underlying transfer management mistake.

At the moment, and as we so clearly witnessed in the madrid game, the emphasis seems to be on the intrinsic inability of the defence to defend. I can see that. You would have to be blind not to see it.

However, the thing I cannot get out of my head and is eating me up is why when last season we had qualified so magnificently for the Champions League why are we now facing a team like Madrid without a solitary forward outlet/striker comparable to the fleet of foot, inventive, goal thirsty forward outlets which procured us that qualification?

Instead, the forward outlets we currently have consist of two relatively immobile big men both of whom constitute the complete opposite in forward/striker styles to what we had last season together with a player who is willing and pacy but who whenever I've seen him seems incapable of providing a worthwhile final pass or finish.

Tellingly and understandable given the showings so far of the players concerned, not one of the three appear to carry the confidence of the supporters in their ability or perhaps more significantly in their respective playing styles and what they bring to the table for the team. Even more tellingly they do not seem to carry the confidence of their manager and their playing colleagues.

I simply cannot fathom it.

We knew in well enough time that Suarez was on his way and we knew Daniel Sturridge was injury prone.

So why did we not make the necessary provision to replace them/provide the requisite back up?

How did we arrive in the pitiful situation where in last night's second half we are attempting to score against Madrid without a solitary forward striking player on the pitch because the manager has no faith or confidence in the three strikers he has available?

How can that be?

I do not see much other football besides our own these days but I simply do not accept there was nothing out there other than Lambert and Balotelli. I've seen enough of the likes of West Ham, West Brom, Southampton etc to know this isn't the case and god knows what was/is available across Europe and South America.

I do not crave a new Suarez - well I do but you know what I mean - and I realise the pacy striking talents such as purchased by the teams I mentioned are not in that class but players of that style and ability could at the very least have provided a passing resemblance to the striking outlets we boasted last season.

And please do not quote Origi and Remy to me. I'm sick to the back teeth of hearing the reasons we haven't got them at the moment/won't ever get them.

It seems to me there has been a significant and very possibly [but hopefully not] a costly cock up in the transfer management of this club. I do not know who is responsible for it and to be honest as long as we can get Daniel Sturridge back and firing very quickly and bring in some comparable pacy striking talents in the January to complement him and/or replace him when he's injured I don't really fucking care. Mistakes happen in football. The important thing is rectifying them.

Our defence may well be flimsy right now and clearly demands urgent attention but a team without an outlet in which it believes and feeds is on a loser from the start.

Agree....no strike force really for the last however many weeks? Couldn't believe what we resorted to last night.... The two guys who were our constant source of goals last season - out. One gone and one injury prone this season. And Balotelli not the option, nor is Lambert , nor is Borini. Needs sorting in January - big time, to help save our season.
Thought we started well, was impressed by the high pressing and quick tempo....Not denying they are top notch, it was always going to be difficult...can't believe the peeps on here saying we were better second half...only cos their job was done!
Kind of half what I expected overall....
Roman....if ever you're skint.....
                                              ......we've got 6 Euro's !

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #1266 on: October 23, 2014, 04:59:01 pm »

Good post

Cheers. But no amount of compliments could possibly ease the frustrations I'm experiencing right now about our summer dealings.

As it is, d'you think with an attacking outlet comparable to the sort of outlet we had last season if not excactly of matching quality - say a West Ham Sahko or Valencia [they're the obvious ones but I'm sure there are loads more of that level] we might well have snatched a goal or two last night since they might have provided the cutting edge to finish off the nice approach play of Coutinho and Sterling in particular during that really promising opening quarter when we matched Madrid stride for stride?

I do.

As a further relevant rider here's Brendan's take on the aspect to which I'm focussing very intently from the Hull City press conference:-

"You take the goal threat out that we had last year and it has an impact.

"It hasn't been as fluid or as affective but we are trying to master that.

"When Daniel plays, it gives us that fluidity. We want him to get back as soon as he can."

You take in the implications of those words in relation to what went down - or rather didn't go down - in the summer and the mind fucking boggles.

Offline Bolrick

• :1,$s?olr?aldr?g
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1267 on: October 23, 2014, 05:03:13 pm »
How I miss the European nights under rafa ? I admit...I took those nights for granted.
Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist

Offline Aberdeen Red

• Boys Pen
« Reply #1268 on: October 23, 2014, 05:03:31 pm »
1st post on forum . . . So fit like to everyone on the forum!

We really require a new GK in the Valdes mode who can play from the back, as Mignolet`s distribution is hopeless, albeit a good shot stopper, he does not suit our clubs current style.

All your top sides have either quality midfield destroyer or a dominant centre half, some sides like Man City and Chelsea have both.   This frees up the skilful players to play and express themself.

We have never ever replaced Alonso, Mascherano or even Steve Finnan at full back . . .  We have a soft centre, and Ive never been keen on Johnson.

At this moment in time, we are really unlucky missing Sturridge, his presence and pace, pins defences back a further 10 yards, at this moment in time with the lack of pace, we are inviting even more pressure.

Hence, why at this moment in time we should play Sterling up top, just so he can make runs in behind, ala the winner v QPR last weekend.

This has all be discussed time and time again, as I have read posts on RAWK for a couple of years now, and 99% of us Reds can see where we are suffering, Brendan Rodgers has some big decisions to make . . .

Roll on Saturday . . .

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #1269 on: October 23, 2014, 05:06:43 pm »
One of the other arl arses [92A] commented in another thread on what we'd have seen had our team from last season's run-in remained intact. I responded it certainly would have been a hell of a game.

And yet the reality has emerged that as it was we had one hand tied behind our back by our inability to replace like with like in the summer. The blueprint from last season was there and for some reason we failed to implement it.

On reflection now and with a great deal of frustration in my sails I don't accept the failures to land Sanchez and Remy and the postponing of the Origi arrival as bona fide excuses any longer.

As I said in my post I don't see much other footy these days but I've already seen enough of summer signings of other clubs or already in place young talent [the West Brom kid?] to convince me that with the enticement of the Champions league we could and most emphatically should have brought some comparable pacy, mobile attacking/striking talent into the club by the end of the transfer window to replace what was departing and what was extremely likely to be absent through muscle/tendon injury having regard to past history.

They may not - in fact they would not possibly - have brought us the potency of the two huge talents we had in place last season but they at least would have begun to provide some form of replica attacking threat combining the mobility and pace and the goal threat that stems form those ingredients.

Nor do I want to be the one to cite the name of any of those midfielders who did actually come in for big fees but I'm sure everyone knows to whom I'm referring when I say we would not exactly have harboured huge regrets had we not forked out the money we did on one of them in particular and when you add it to the money spent on two relatively immobile strikers, the ensuing uneasy feelings that are invoked about what we've got and what we could have had are not nice. 

As it is I really am waiting for someone to demonstrate to me the flaw in my reasoning since I don't particularly like feeling the way I currently am about what happened/didn't happen in the summer.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 05:09:16 pm by Timbo's Goals »

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1270 on: October 23, 2014, 05:21:09 pm »
Just spoken with some LFC supporters (fans). I will add that they are 6th formers.
They told me, in unison...'we need a BIGGER manager'.

I love being 40. AND I don't love modern football.

Wallies.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1271 on: October 23, 2014, 05:22:17 pm »
Some players are not good enough and only could shine underneath the wings of Suarez but that's only one part of the story.

With this "group" we won't see any passing game in the near future, that's for sure, I could swear that Rodgers was after something similar Madrid showed in this game, they obviously passed us to death.

Rodgers quo vadis? With players like Allen and Henderson we won't come far when playing the top sides of europe that's for sure. The pace is too high and they looked like boys in a men's game. Just as Gerrard looke like an old man in a young men's game. Decisions have to made, otherwise Rodgers is risking his career.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #1272 on: October 23, 2014, 05:23:35 pm »
Getting a bit tedious with these Rafa comments seems like the wums are everywhere!
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1273 on: October 23, 2014, 05:24:37 pm »
Just spoken with some LFC supporters (fans). I will add that they are 6th formers.
They told me, in unison...'we need a BIGGER manager'.

I love being 40. AND I don't love modern football.

Wallies.

He was bigger in the first season, are they trying to say his weight loss has affected his quality?! :P
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #1274 on: October 23, 2014, 05:26:25 pm »
Some players are not good enough and only could shine underneath the wings of Suarez but that's only one part of the story.

With this "group" we won't see any passing game in the near future, that's for sure, I could swear that Rodgers was after something similar Madrid showed in this game, they obviously passed us to death.

Rodgers quo vadis? With players like Allen and Henderson we won't come far when playing the top sides of europe that's for sure. The pace is too high and they looked like boys in a men's game. Just as Gerrard looke like an old man in a young men's game. Decisions have to made, otherwise Rodgers is risking his career.

Wouldn't they have been in the shade?
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #1275 on: October 23, 2014, 05:33:45 pm »
As it is I really am waiting for someone to demonstrate to me the flaw in my reasoning since I don't particularly like feeling the way I currently am about what happened/didn't happen in the summer.

I'm afraid, you'll be waiting for that to happen for quite a while in my view. Our business in the summer, especially in attack, looks more and more baffling. We have lost Suarez and were never going to replace him like for like. The huge issue is that we haven't even bought players who are similar to the way he was playing. That would have made the transition much smoother even if the replacement hadn't scored the same amount of goals.

I can see why we went for Lambert and I can even see why we went for Balotelli. What I can't see is why we're not trying to play to their strengths a bit more when we have no other options, but keep on playing like we still had Suarez...

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #1276 on: October 23, 2014, 05:38:33 pm »

The men -v- boys analogy is a very convenient one but way too simplistic and doesn't begin to explain why the opening quarter of the game was ferociously contested yet fairly evenly matched

In that opening quarter there was not that much to choose between the two teams. What became the telling factor as the ferocity died down was the huge disparity up front. We had very little. They had Ronaldo and Benzema and - simply by virtue of the finest pass we'll see all season - Rodriguez who I scarcely need to say were fantastic attacking outlets ably supported by the fabulous midfield midfield trio and the best attacking full back you'll ever see.

Henderson and Allen are not at that level and never will be but both are decent players who complemented by the on form Coutinho and Sterling provided some decent play. With Luis and Sturridge up front I suspect they'd have provided something rather different than what finally went down.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1277 on: October 23, 2014, 05:38:44 pm »

I can understand you not wanting to name names, but if Markovic had started usefully, matching Sterling for example, then there wouldn't be too much worry over the attack. Lallana has started well. We needed Markovic to come good early to retain the attacking setup from last year effectively - he hasn't, we haven't. It's good in the sense that now the manager has to focus on building a better team, one able to absorb attacks better. If he succeeds, then a team founded on organisation, where the manager holds the key, the blueprints, will last longer than one founded on a reliance on individual quality and ultra high focus on attack.

Offline SexyFootball

• Main Stander
  • What a Hit Son!
« Reply #1278 on: October 23, 2014, 05:39:15 pm »
How are we so fragile defensively? I suppose it's hard to be confident in defense when you have Mignolet behind you, but even against a poor QPR team we couldn't defend.
Brendan should have something in his 180 page dossier on 'How to fucking defend'!!
“If you’re in the penalty area and don’t know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we’ll discuss the options later.”

Offline Redwhiteandnotblue

• God's spin doctor.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1279 on: October 23, 2014, 05:40:21 pm »
Balotelli has impressed more than Markovic, certainly - yet, to quote the philosopher Shania Twain - he don't impress me much.

I don't think he's got the moves or the touch at the moment...