Author Topic: Expectations for 2014/15 Season  (Read 96422 times)

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
Re: Expectations for 2014/15 Season
« Reply #400 on: August 15, 2014, 01:10:35 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/28624995

Dan Roan
BBC Sport
#PLPredictions

Posted at 11:11

"1. Liverpool, 2. Chelsea, 3. Man City, 4. Arsenal, Bottom three: Southampton, Burnley, Leicester.
"Most people will understandably write Liverpool off having lost their best player & with the added burden of Europe again. But last season was no fluke. The runners-up have reinvested the Suarez cash wisely, and for the first time in years have proper strength in depth and a solid defence.
"In Sterling, Coutinho and Sturridge they also possess the kind of young, attacking talent that will only improve, and which can compensate for the departure of their former talisman. Liverpool can go one better than last year, and be the surprise champions the premier league so desperately needs. There will be life after Luis, just you watch."

You tell 'em Dan
:wellin Finally someone speaking sense in the media. Southampton getting relegated though, whats that about?!  :o

Offline Stevie8

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #401 on: August 15, 2014, 01:14:41 am »
My expectations for 2014/2015 season:

League: TOP 3
Champions League: at least play-offs
League Cup/FA Cup: It would be nice to win one of these trophies.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #402 on: August 15, 2014, 01:21:40 am »
My expectation is that we'll come fifth in the league. Hard to predict the Champions League without knowing the group we're in, I think the best we could do is probably the quarter final. Think we could win one of the other two trophies on offer.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #403 on: August 15, 2014, 01:24:02 am »
There's alot of talk about how are we going to replace the Suarez goals tally from last year and I think this is where the general 'we are going to struggle this season' attitude is coming from. Brendan looks to have concentrated on strengthening our defence with the signings he's made so far, so I would expect a generous reduction in goals conceded. I don't think we will have to score 100 plus goals this year to be in contention - if we concede less we don't need to.
While I understand the view that we should be better defensively this season because we've strengthened our defense, I don't think we've concentrated on defense per se. Both our fullbacks are very attacking-minded and Lovren is a CB who can squeeze the game to allow us to be even more attacking, along with being a massive aerial threat on set-pieces. Then we've also bought a prolific young winger in Markovic, a dependable striker in Lambert, a forward thinking box-to-box panzer tank, and an attacking midfielder and POTY-candidate in Lallana (not to mention Origi who has all the tools to be a prolific world class striker, not least according to Brendan himself).

None of those moves are particularly "defensive", and whilst we'll probably concede less, our focus is quite clearly on becoming an even more ruthless attacking force, rather than one that's going to be pleased to batten down the hatches and defend once it has the lead.

Even without Suarez I see no reason why our team shouldn't be able to score 100 goals again while at the same time conceding less, especially if we manage to bring in that extra striker Brendan quite clearly wants.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #404 on: August 15, 2014, 08:23:14 am »

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #405 on: August 15, 2014, 08:33:22 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28778605

Music to our ears :)
:lmao

Proving yet again that "experts" are about as dim as they come. Phil Neville even has United to finish ahead of City!  ;D

This suits us absolutely fine.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #406 on: August 15, 2014, 08:43:29 am »
^ motson and Dublin have united down to win the whole thing

The no European football will help but they won't do a liverpool . Their squad is simply not good enough

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #407 on: August 15, 2014, 09:16:42 am »
While I understand the view that we should be better defensively this season because we've strengthened our defense, I don't think we've concentrated on defense per se. Both our fullbacks are very attacking-minded and Lovren is a CB who can squeeze the game to allow us to be even more attacking, along with being a massive aerial threat on set-pieces. Then we've also bought a prolific young winger in Markovic, a dependable striker in Lambert, a forward thinking box-to-box panzer tank, and an attacking midfielder and POTY-candidate in Lallana (not to mention Origi who has all the tools to be a prolific world class striker, not least according to Brendan himself).

None of those moves are particularly "defensive", and whilst we'll probably concede less, our focus is quite clearly on becoming an even more ruthless attacking force, rather than one that's going to be pleased to batten down the hatches and defend once it has the lead.

Even without Suarez I see no reason why our team shouldn't be able to score 100 goals again while at the same time conceding less, especially if we manage to bring in that extra striker Brendan quite clearly wants.
Exactly what I was getting at in my last post.
We're not going to go into a shell a bit, the way I see it. I think our signings have been made with a view to score even MORE(the signings that were decided on even before Barca came in) and yet more(the signings post-Luis).

If you look at Brendan's thinking- he's got a unique and odd way of looking at the race. Instead of focussing on points last season, he said that 72 goals(or 75 goals, I'm not sure which) will get us champions league footy. Whereas other managers are looking at "points won" in order to achieve their position, he's looking at "goals scored".
I believe he's looking at it the same way this season- if you score more than your rivals, then you'll win the league- which would've been the case last season to be fair. If we had scored more than City, we would've won the league.

I think this team - on paper- is brimming with goals - all redistributed throughout the team. At anyone moment in the game- anyone from fullback to CB, to midfield, to widemen, to striker can score and that's what I think will happen.

Then we've got real game-changing options from the bench this time around.
Brendan made the best out of our lack of squad-depth last season, if you think about it.
We were short on game-changing quality or just quality to maintain performance on the bench and so it appears Rodgers decided to have us come blitzing out of the box, score 2/3/4 and have us press with a freakish tempo while we had the best 11 on the pitch. As the second-half started, we'd have one or two more attacks before we died down and just basically rode out the game, while we brought on subs that just helped with that.

This season- I don't think we'd do the same to the extent we did it last season. I think we'll be more thoughtful and we'll have options. We can have a normal start and up the tempo mid-game or we can have a fiendish start and maintain that or we can do like last season- pacy start and slow it down towards the 60.
All because of our bench.

Anyway- I think we've got goals in this team and I think we'll aim for 100+ goals again this season, because that will win you the league.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #408 on: August 15, 2014, 10:05:16 am »

Match of the Day commentator Conor McNamara: I left Liverpool out of my top four for the following reasons: Steven Gerrard performed miracles last season but he's a year older now, the additional workload in the Champions League will affect their league form, no individual new signing can replace Suarez and there will be more pressure on the players because of the added expectation from the fans after last season.

The same old vanilla-flavoured conclusions. I mean a child can come up with those reasons. ;D

Jason Roberts: A mixture of the appointment of Van Gaal, no European football, a fit, motivated Robin Van Persie and the new captain with a lot to prove in Wayne Rooney means United will get the points needed to finish in fourth place.

Now look at United's reasons- Van Gaal is a new appointment(normally a newly appointed manager is seen as a negative), it is assumed Robin Van Persie is going to be motivated and Rooney's had 2 seasons to "prove a point", yet failed dismally.

The same reasons above could be assigned to United. The only thing they've got going for them, is no Europe. I mean- just as quickly as you could say that Gerrard is a year older- you could say the same for Van Persie. Just like no individual signing can replace Luis- no individual appointment can replace Ferguson. There will be more pressure on the players and manager because of the added expectation from the fans after last season.

It's all too funny! ;D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 10:21:51 am by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Higgins79

• Legacy Fan
  • return of the king
« Reply #409 on: August 15, 2014, 10:10:11 am »
So out of 27 BBC 'pundits', non have us finishing in the top three and less than half think we'll finish 4th!!

Personally I love how they have written us off, we'll absolutely thrive on being the underdogs. Brendan will be loving this.

We have a reasonably difficult start and February looks a tough month but I'd say overall our fixtures look kinder than last year (i know they may change around with TV and CL). Particularly around Christmas.

Yes we lost the best player in the league, but our front line attack is a year more experienced, hungry and as talented as anything else out there. We may have lost 30 goals up front but with our additions we've saved at least half the deficit at the back and we will score more from midfield this year.

Also many 'experts' are saying Sturridge will suffer without Suarez. I think he'll love being the main man. They tolerated each other last year for the good of the team, but both players prefer to operate alone and I think Sterling and Coutinho love to play with Sturridge.

We will challenge for the title and finish top three at worst.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #410 on: August 15, 2014, 10:58:48 am »
All the journos are so obsessed with the offensive capabilities, while ignoring the defense. ManU have lost their top two centre backs, still haven't replaced them, and are changing to a three-CB system. Chelsea have sold Luiz and Cole. Arsenal, who were already thin in the back, have sold Vermaelen and now only have two proven CBs. ManC and LFC are the only ones who have improved their defense. Hardly any of this is mentioned by the media.

In our case, I think the adding of Moreno, Manquillo and Enrique will be a massive upgrade for both defense and offense. We finished second with comparably very poor FBs.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #411 on: August 15, 2014, 11:03:41 am »

Offline fingermouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: August 15, 2014, 11:05:51 am »
Rewind to this time last season when the general consensus was that we would be scrambling around with spurs and Everton for the Europa league spot.

No reminder required as to how that panned out - these 'experts' are no more likely to get it right than the man on the street.

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #413 on: August 15, 2014, 11:06:00 am »
Fuck expectations, they aren't helpful.

We are going to win the thing though

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: August 15, 2014, 11:06:51 am »

The annoying thing about that is Steve Wilson and Alistair Mann are supposed to be Liverpool fans and they don't even have us in the top 4. Thanks for the vote of confidence lads. ::)

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: August 15, 2014, 11:12:37 am »
I see John Motson has completely lost the plot.

He had a plot to begin with?

He is as worse a commentator on football as you will ever find. Knows less than nothing about the game

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: August 15, 2014, 11:15:01 am »
He had a plot to begin with?

He is as worse a commentator on football as you will ever find. Knows less than nothing about the game

Ha! ;D

Unfortunately though he isn't. There are far, far, far, far worse commentators then John Motson in this country.

Offline redintweed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #417 on: August 15, 2014, 11:17:19 am »
Win every fucking thing.

No point in aiming for 4th. Aim for the top. I think in all reality though that Europe will be the greater challenge. BR has never been there and it will be interesting to see how he approaches it. I actually think we are a better balanced side without he who can't be mentioned but on the other hand him not being there takes away some unpredictability and the sheer brilliance. But the fluid front 3 should give us more goal scoring options.

I really expect to see us back at Wembly with Stevie holding a trophy aloft too.

It's a good time to be a Liverpool fan and it's just fantastic to be in amongst it again.
I'd rather play for Liverpool Reserves than Everton.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: August 15, 2014, 11:22:59 am »
So out of 27 BBC 'pundits', non have us finishing in the top three and less than half think we'll finish 4th!!

Personally I love how they have written us off, we'll absolutely thrive on being the underdogs. Brendan will be loving this.

We have a reasonably difficult start and February looks a tough month but I'd say overall our fixtures look kinder than last year (i know they may change around with TV and CL). Particularly around Christmas.

Yes we lost the best player in the league, but our front line attack is a year more experienced, hungry and as talented as anything else out there. We may have lost 30 goals up front but with our additions we've saved at least half the deficit at the back and we will score more from midfield this year.

Also many 'experts' are saying Sturridge will suffer without Suarez. I think he'll love being the main man. They tolerated each other last year for the good of the team, but both players prefer to operate alone and I think Sterling and Coutinho love to play with Sturridge.

We will challenge for the title and finish top three at worst.

Wouldn't have it any other way.

I think it brings out the best in us.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #419 on: August 15, 2014, 11:26:05 am »

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #420 on: August 15, 2014, 11:27:48 am »
I also have pretty low expectations on CL, although of course it depends heavily on who we will face. BR has zero international experience, and there's very little in the squad as well. It's not just about the quality of the opposition: Traveling far, different refereeing, different type of opponents. BR's "score the most goals and you will win" approach is probably more suitable for the league, and we haven't yet shown that we can shut down games. I could be dead wrong, but experience matters more in CL than PL.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: August 15, 2014, 11:53:05 am »
I also have pretty low expectations on CL, although of course it depends heavily on who we will face. BR has zero international experience, and there's very little in the squad as well. It's not just about the quality of the opposition: Traveling far, different refereeing, different type of opponents. BR's "score the most goals and you will win" approach is probably more suitable for the league, and we haven't yet shown that we can shut down games. I could be dead wrong, but experience matters more in CL than PL.

I actually think the opposite. I think we'll surprise the hell out of a few big teams in the CL. The reason behind my thinking is, we have a young exciting side with players that wont yet be known to many of Europe's elite. And I just think we'll just enjoy the occasion and play without fear. I can honestly see us putting in some Arsenal at Anfield type performances in some of those CL games, I really can. I think we're going to shock the hell out of Europe this season.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: August 15, 2014, 11:57:34 am »
Happy days,Tony Gale has just wrote us off. :D "We'll struggle because of the Suarez thing, and because of the extra games in Europe". ::)

All these pundits just seem to repeat each other.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #423 on: August 15, 2014, 12:04:27 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/28624995

Dan Roan
BBC Sport
#PLPredictions

Posted at 11:11

"1. Liverpool, 2. Chelsea, 3. Man City, 4. Arsenal, Bottom three: Southampton, Burnley, Leicester.
"Most people will understandably write Liverpool off having lost their best player & with the added burden of Europe again. But last season was no fluke. The runners-up have reinvested the Suarez cash wisely, and for the first time in years have proper strength in depth and a solid defence.
"In Sterling, Coutinho and Sturridge they also possess the kind of young, attacking talent that will only improve, and which can compensate for the departure of their former talisman. Liverpool can go one better than last year, and be the surprise champions the premier league so desperately needs. There will be life after Luis, just you watch."

You tell 'em Dan
I see where Dan Roan is coming from.  Unlike other pundits he hasn't just used the transfer window to come up with his predictions. 

Personally, I would be confident of a title challenge with Suarez.  Without him I think there is less of a chance.  But that doesn't mean it's impossible.  We have the advantage of 24 months now under Rodgers.  That's training/routines/tactics that we can bank.  Only Arsenal have had more time with their manager in terms of our rivals. 

Players like Coutinho & Sterling while young have an excellent level of experience.  They just may be on the verge of becoming top level contributors.  We've also added league experience in the 24-28 age bracket in Lovren & Lallana.  But I think a lot will depend on how players like Henderson, Allen & Sakho step up now.  It's time for those bought for their leadership quality to lead.

I'd say given that we lost our best player & we've brought in a number of players that will require integration we will not mount a title challenge.  Perhaps this season has come 1 year too soon for that.  But another year under Rodgers & players like Markovic, Can, Moreno etc getting experience could well mean we are set up to go for the next few seasons after that.

Offline MrEazi1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: August 15, 2014, 12:45:04 pm »
Good to see we get our money's worth with the license fee.

Out of that list of BBC pundits - Ian Dennis, John Hartson and Danny Murphy are the only decent ones. Seriously on what basis will Man Utd win the league ? They've lost vocal, experienced players who are leaders and their summer signings are rather underwhelming.

We've averaged 2 points per game since January 2013 and the likes of Sterling, Coutinho, Henderson and the others are still young players who are only going to continue to improve.

We've finished top four with far weaker squads than the current one in the past WITH Champions League football !

Get a grip BBC. Fuck the lot of 'em. Underdogs suits us fine.

Offline jepovic

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #425 on: August 15, 2014, 01:04:25 pm »
It's great that ManU have higher expectations on them than us, though. They're the only top team with a new manager, new system, lost two key CBs...

van Gaal has raised the stakes by replacing many oldtimers in the organisation with his own people. He better get it right very quickly. If he does pull it off and finish top-three, that's just a very impressive accomplishment. Even BR struggled the first half year, but I doubt that ManU will have the same patience with van Gaal.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #426 on: August 15, 2014, 01:20:27 pm »
So much done, so much more to do.

There's no easy way to predict what will happen over the course of a football season.

Last year saw title favourites Manchester City lift the Premier League trophy for the second time in three years, and the realisation, in case anyone hadn't noticed it, that the balance of power in the game has shifted dramatically. So far, so much as expected.

But the team who finished second did so having twelve months earlier been down in seventh place. You have to go back a long time to find a club making such dramatic progress at the business end of the table, and the main reason this is not even more astonishing is that the club in question were Liverpool, a club that makes the extraordinary its business. Arguably the team had heavily underperformed the previous year, and what we saw last season was something of a "reversion to the mean" - a standard result which looks dramatic mainly due to the skewed figures that immediately preceded it.

Then again, this was a Liverpool side that have struggled for a long time now, since Rafa Benitez' last season, in which the baffled Spaniard was presented with Robbie Keane rather than Gareth Bale, in which Fernando Torres suffered his own "reversion to the mean" and found his brief spell as the most potent attacking talent in the league had left him. Injuries to him and Gerrard, the loss of Alonso and the failure to properly invest in the first team by the increasingly bizarre ownership saw Liverpool lose their long held place in the "big four" as they dropped from a position in second place to the worrying lows of 7th.

In some ways, last season was 09-10 in a twisted mirror image. This time rather than drop ignomiously from 2nd to 7th, the club were elevated gloriously from 7th to 2nd. As Torres lost his mojo in 09-10, in 13-14 Suarez raised himself to the level of the best in the world.

The drama of the wilderness years in between has been explored to death, the ownership struggle, the Hodgson saga, the glorious return and shocking departure of the King of Liverpool, and the appointment of a young coach from Northern Ireland, Brendan Rodgers.

In hindsight it is easy to see what led to the fall of Benitez' side. Off pitch distractions, injuries to key players and the gradual erosion of talent available, it was a perfect storm that saw a side with title pretentions reduced to mid-table mediocrity, while the "sleeping normal sized person" Tottenham ran away with the last Champions League spot. Newly wealthiest club in the world Man City also got themselves above LFC for the first time anyone could remember, while perhaps the biggest shock of all saw Aston Villa also finish ahead of the reds.

It took a lot going wrong at once to make that drop, just as last season took a lot going right to reverse it.

The transfer activity of last summer was not what many Liverpool fans had dreamed of. Despite an outlay of £45m or so, there was no real star name coming into the team. With the exception of Belgian reserve keeper Simon Mignolet, none of the signings made had a dramatic impact on the team. Players brought in on loan failed to establish themselves.

And yet, the team improved. Tipped by some optimistic onlookers to make 5th place, and by a few in the red fold to have a challenge at 4th, Liverpool's ambitions looked modest for a club of their stature. Largely the same set of players would complete the season as had played for the second half of the previous year. Suarez was still suspended and would miss the opening games. Sturridge was carrying a knock and might not be fit for the curtain-raiser.

We got behind the lads and went for it. We broke several club records. We came close to a league record for a winning streak. But for a slip from Gerrard, a poor call from a linesman at Eastlands, a moment of hot-headedness from Henderson or a comedy turn from Toure, we really could have won the league.

So where did the transformation come from?

If it wasn't the players, and even the arrival of Sturridge and Coutinho hadn't put us in title-winning form the previous year, then it can only be the manager. Brendan Rodgers had managed to put his stamp on the side. Suarez may have played like a world beater, but he had been here a long time already by then and while always brilliant, was never anything like so prolific. Sterling finally emerged, not as the cocky young lad of the "steady" incident and a string of unsavoury tabloid stories, but as a real talent, with a brain to add to his pace and extraordinary control. Sturridge ripped up trees and record books, making the fastest 30 goals in a Liverpool shirt of any player, ever.

And the way we played, getting the ball down and running at pace at the opposition goal, there was something beautifully simple and irresistable - in every sense, about our attacks. The sheer speed of Sturridge and Sterling, the inventiveness and tenacity of Suarez, the ability to play inside the box enough to win our share of penalties, and the ice-cool of Gerrard in slotting them away, time after time after time.

We were lousy in defence. At times players would simply shift past our centre backs like they weren't there. Mignolet was busier that he had ever been at Sunderland, and at times looked like he had been abandoned by his team mates. We conceded 50 goals, Crystal Palace, in 11th place, only let in 48.

It didn't often matter. The all-or-nothing spirit of football, the "we've got nothing else to do for 90 minutes but score goals and we don't care if you've given up at half time" attitude made us flat-track bullies, but was equally effective on big teams like Arsenal and like Tottenham apparently think they are.

God, it was beautiful. Poetry in motion, indeed. 101 goals. Suarez alone scored more than Norwich as a team did all season. (And of course a lot of them were against Norwich. Before news broke of his transfer, Norwich fans were grateful for the respite of relegation.)

So moving on, where do we go from here?

The obvious difference needs to be mentioned. Luis Suarez is no longer at Liverpool. We all knew, deep down, that his was a gift to be enjoyed while it lasted, that he was only ever on a prolonged loan from La Liga and that his destiny was to play El Classico for one side or other. He's gone, we move on.

Because we've been here before. Last summer, the doom-merchants were convinced he would be leaving and did a good job of putting together the idea that we were a better side without him. The stats actually support them, even if common sense doesn't.

Let's dust a few off: We win more games when he's not on the pitch. Rodgers had to distort his tactics to allow for Suarez and Sturridge to both play.

What we do know is that Rodgers likes pace in his attack. And Suarez was never as quick as Sturridge, or Sterling, or Markovic, or Ibe. Without Suarez, the possibilities open up for a different style of play, an even more direct and attacking game, with defenders forced to track three of the quickest runners in world football at the same time. We'll miss his trickery, certainly, but there could be consolations. Sturridge in particular thrives in a sole forward role. And while Suarez certainly supplied him with ammunition last season, so did Coutinho and so, certainly, can Lallana and Markovic. What little I've seen of Markovic, I've been hugely impressed with the speed with which he runs past a full back, and the low diagonal balls he plays across the six yard box behind the defence. He seems tailor made for a pacy striker with a sweet first touch.

So while there will be games where we'll be crying out for Suarez, we pose enough of a threat without him.

Another thing that worked in our favour last season was that we seem to have lost a little of our sheen. During the Benitez era, teams would raise their game against us, playing defensive and unambitious sideways football. It was something Keane never adjusted to, and it frustrated us to see draws being dragged out against obviously inferior sides. But the last few years had shown that we were just another team. That we could be beaten. So people took us on. And played right into our hands.

The more people think we are weakened without Suarez, the better it could be.

But enough about a player who isn't here, what about those who are? The biggest changes in the line-up this year will be at the back, with two new full backs and a centre half, it's effectively a whole new outfit. Whether it will be Lovren-Skrtel or Lovren-Sakho, the presence of a vocal, tactically aware presence in front of the keeper should make us far stingier.

Last summer, the main concern was how Rodgers could shore up the defence. Instead he focussed on making us more of a threat in attack, which works just as well. With a similar leap in improvement up front now highly improbable, his attention has clearly turned at last to that question. With a stable line-up in front of Mignolet, drilled in a tactical plan that seemed to go absent far too often last term, the team should be looking to concede no more than a goal a game average. Only two sides managed that modest-sounding feat in the Premier League last season. It's an improvement of 12 goals, but this is almost whole new unit. It remains to be seen if Johnson and Flanagan can work their way into the line-up, but they'll need to be good to do so, last season both played by default more often than not, and with wildly differing results. I've always thought Johnson was unfairly criticised, but at times he just didn't look on the same page as the rest of the defence last season, and being forced to play through an injury didn't help. Flanagan is good, but needs stiff competition to make the progress to being at the level where that "Scouse Cafu" thing becomes a little less of a joke and a little more of a valid comparison. Setting the bar high, I think he might get there.

A quick look at the competition shows Arsenal once more brimming with confidence having signed an expensive player and finally won a trophy for Wenger. I'm still not convinced that he's the man to lead them over a full 38 games any more though. The title is won by consistency, and Arsenal have not shown that for long enough in far too long. A lot of their key players seem to vanish in adversity. Man City will be out to defend their title, and with a manager now familiar with the league, it will take a lot to stop them. Chelsea seem to have finally bought the forward to get them the goals they lacked last time out, although Costa wouldn't be the first massive signing in that position to flop there.

Tottenham are now back in their box, and should be looking at competing with Everton for a Europa place. Manchester United will improve on last season, but are too many players away from a real title shot just yet. I see a very close top 3 of us, Chelsea and City. Arsenal possibly fighting with United for 4th and Spurs pipping the blues to 6th place.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 01:25:18 pm by Nessy76 »
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #427 on: August 15, 2014, 02:52:27 pm »
I have faith we'll do well, but I do feel vulnerable without the comfort blanket of Luis Suarez. Another striker will make me more confident we'll kick on this season.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: August 15, 2014, 03:26:49 pm »
I don't like demanding any given position, given that much of that is out of our control, depending on the performance of other teams. In terms of points, we could/should have exceeded 70 points this season, even.

60-65: Serious lack of progression and would put pressure on the manager, though I'd hope he'd get a third year regardless. (D)
65-70: Minimum expected progression.  (C)
70-75: Reasonable expected progression. (B)
75-80: Achieveable and positive progression (A)
80+: A*

A+.

This time...

< 70 points: Serious regression, though it would have to be pretty low to bring the manager under serious pressure, given the idea discussed this time last year that the manager's job should only be at risk from two successive D- performances, or a long spell of bumbling C-D-C-C stagnation (D).
70-75: A step back, but possibly understandable coping with the loss of Suarez (though I expect not) and settling in new players (C)
76-80: Consolidation, without the unreal element of a few of our most stunning wins (B)
81-85: Firmly established top four, borderline title challengers (A)
...86+: Serious title challenge, serious progress in the Rodgers revolution (A*)

Clearing the CL group stage should be a bump up a grade; an FA or CL win another. So, an A**** season it is, then. :)

Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Reds Flag

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: August 15, 2014, 03:34:56 pm »

Those BBC predictions are brilliant and I'm delighted with them as it means that for the second season in a row we can outperform the predictions of every pundit going ;D 13/27 votes for us to scrape 4th...and that's the best anyone has us down to do. Uncomplimentary, but if everyone underestimates us again that can only be a good thing - and hopefully we'll force a few to eat their words again!

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: August 15, 2014, 03:41:37 pm »
How other fans/ the media see LFC for next season:

Offline tanvir

• Kopite
« Reply #431 on: August 15, 2014, 04:27:57 pm »
Even taking my red tinted glasses off, I can't comprehend this at all.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: August 15, 2014, 04:29:54 pm »
heh Chelsea and Man City, I can understand why people think they will be Champions... but Man Utd?

Offline jepovic

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #433 on: August 15, 2014, 04:38:17 pm »
heh Chelsea and Man City, I can understand why people think they will be Champions... but Man Utd?
Likely back five tomorrow:
Young Smalling Jones Blackett James

If van Gaal can get top three with that  he deserves a medal.

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: August 15, 2014, 04:38:50 pm »
Football as far as I know is a team game but judging by the pundits we were Suarez FC.

The Dortmund game showed momentum and whilst it was a friendly that fast paced passing game was still there that most defences will not cope with. I expect some teams will have been encouraged with what Chelsea did and we will have the bus parked against us most of the time so it's inevitable we'll need to see a plan B or we become the new Arsenal but I have faith in Rodgers and his winning mentality. As the media has written us off the pressure simply isn't there. You could say we're uninvited guests in the top 4 and CL. I love it.

If we get 3rd, get to the knockout rounds and maybe get to Wembley and win a cup that is a great season. Can we go that extra yard? Yes we can but I just don't see City and Chelsea dropping points in shite games again.

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #435 on: August 15, 2014, 05:04:19 pm »
We cannot expect us to be challenging for the title this season, it's very hard. Man City have improved, Chelsea have improved and Arsenal surely have improved, United have a new coach on board...again.

But, these things happened last year too. We weren't anyone's favorite to challenge for the title even when we had Suarez last season, but challenge we did. So why should the fact that we do not have Suarez change anything? I know as supporters it's hard for us to be hopeful and then get disappointed in the end, but the team we support is hopeful of it. For me the only difference from last year is that this year, we are going in with a belief... from the start. 

"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Offline wellred99

• Anny Roader
« Reply #436 on: August 15, 2014, 05:10:02 pm »
I wonder how different that table might have looked had we signed Remy or another proven striker by now. I think we have done decent business this summer but I think we will suffer overall if we fail to bring in at least 1 decent striker.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #437 on: August 15, 2014, 05:20:34 pm »
Any of last season's top 4 could win the title. I'll be disappointed if we don't finish in the top 3. I see no reason why we shouldn't. 4th and a trophy would obviously be very good as well but we should be in the title mix rather than that group of teams fighting for 4th-7th.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline N0rnIr0nRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #438 on: August 15, 2014, 05:23:29 pm »
I quite like the way we have been written off already.  :lmao
"I usually have a second pair of glasses but I can't find them because it's hard to find glasses without glasses!" Jürgen Klopp

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #439 on: August 15, 2014, 05:23:49 pm »
I love that not many of the journo's are tipping us for the top 4, let alone the title.

Id prefer be an underdog in any game, and to be wrote off before it even begins.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981