Author Topic: Expectations for 2014/15 Season  (Read 96419 times)

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
Re: Expectations for 2014/15 Season
« Reply #360 on: August 13, 2014, 02:46:32 pm »
we have a really strong squad and they are all the managers choices who I think has done a bang up job this far

i sadly feel like our season will hinge on Sturridge and A N other striker

if sturrdige stays fit we will be fine

if he doesnt and we dont have another quality striker we could struggle

but thats not to say Sterling couldnt play in the hole behind a lesser striker and still do well

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #361 on: August 13, 2014, 02:56:06 pm »
My expectations last year were that we would just fall short of the top four and finish with less than 70 points. The season was a massive surprise for me, the form of Suarez in my opinion was pivotal but so was the progress of the team in that short time along with individuals such as Coutinho, Sturridge, Henderson, Flanagan and of course Sterling.

Hand on heart I'm not sure how this season will pan out, the loss of Suarez is massive but the amount of money spent is equally so, other teams have strengthened and I think the biggest question is have we improved our side from last season, will we be much the same or have we strengthened our position over our rivals.

For now I'm predicting the same as my prediction last year (5th), I think were just fall short but if we can get the player in I still believe we need then perhaps we could outscore our opponents once more and grab a top four finish.

As for the Champions League, if we were to prioritize this then I think our side is perfect for the competition and could see us doing very well indeed.

Offline Dave Mc

• Legacy Fan
  • I 'll be back for breakfast
« Reply #362 on: August 13, 2014, 04:47:45 pm »
I'm amazed how many pundits have us struggling to make top 4 yet have Utd finishing 3rd.

Just remember that most of these jokers had us outside the CL spots, and United finishing top three last season as well.
Mark Noble is a shithouse!! - Phil M, 5/3/08

Offline harrylfc

• Legacy Fan
  • XABI'S MATE
« Reply #363 on: August 13, 2014, 09:21:24 pm »
I'm thinking that Loveren could turn out to be an absolute top drawer signing,if we can shore it up some at the back then we won't have to score 3-4 goals to win games like was the case in a few games last season.I'd realistically bite ya hand off if you offered me 4th now,but,after last season the expectation,rightly or otherwise has gone up a notch...

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #364 on: August 13, 2014, 09:22:15 pm »
expectations?

to try, to believe and to be together.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #365 on: August 13, 2014, 09:23:17 pm »
expectations?

to try, to believe and to be together.

Yep, and if we continue on from last season we'll be fine.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #366 on: August 13, 2014, 09:25:47 pm »
Top 4 for me and anything above will be a bonus. You'd think we will need to start strong this season with teams like United and potentially Spurs being more competitive from the off. If we can keep our best players fit I can see another great season with perhaps a little less goals but a continued pragmatism in the formation and the will to press and want it more seeing us being very hard to stop again. Like the lads on Taw were saying - we've now got a load of young players an a manager with experience of being in a proper title race which will serve us well and a much stronger squad on balance too. One more top striker and we could easily win it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 09:29:39 pm by TomDcs »

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #367 on: August 13, 2014, 09:28:53 pm »
I think we are going to shock the pants off some big, big teams in the CL, especially when they come to Anfield. They aren't going to know whats hit them.

Offline irishmike639

• Not good enough for RAWK - but we'd be lucky to get a kick in the teeth if we tried to sell him
  • Main Stander
  • We've conquered all of Europe...
« Reply #368 on: August 13, 2014, 10:13:30 pm »
Last year with all the managerial changes I thought we could take advantage of that providing we started well and, as the season progressed, our lack of European football would help us secure a top 4 spot.  I predicted we would finish 3rd behind Chelsea and Man C.  I like to think of myself as a realist at heart but have often been labelled pessimistic so to make such a bold claim was considered madness by those that know me.

So, to say that I honestly believe we have what it takes to win the league this year is not a flippant throw away comment.  I'm excited by what BR is building at this club, the sense or purpose and vision he brings, the belief he instills, the spirit that he inspires and it is this togetherness that is our strength, the team ethic, the will to work for and with each other, the commitment to be the best that we can be that gives us that something special that is needed to lift us above the others.  I get the sense that the style and system that we play under BR are more important than the individuals involved, the sum of the parts being greater and all that, so the loss of Suarez, whilst huge, may be softened considerably by the way in which Sterling, Coutinho, Sturridge et al flourish under the tutelage of one of the best managers in the game at the moment.

Perhaps with CL and the strengthening that Chelsea, Arsenal and the Mancs have all done may prove to be too much for us in the end but I really feel that under BR and the footballing ethos that he has restored to our great and historic club we will be up there and perhaps this year we can go one better.  Here's hoping.
And if you don't like this swearing that this motherfucker forced from me and reckon it shows moral or intellectual paucity then fuck you motherfucker, this is language one employs when one is fucking cross about fuckers fucking boys - The genius that is Tim Minchin - The Pope Song

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #369 on: August 13, 2014, 10:16:33 pm »
I expect the shithouse thread to be back again as we embark on another end of the season winning run  ;D

Offline Not too Xabi

• for Rachel!
  • Main Stander
« Reply #370 on: August 13, 2014, 10:22:08 pm »
Don't understand why so many people are getting worked up about the Journo's and 'experts' tipping us to struggle?
Yes, the ignorance and disrespect towards Brendan and the squad he's building is a bit annoying, but in many ways it's absolutely ideal.
Pressure is largely off us in terms of the press etc, as most of them have us down to finish 5th or worse. Contrast that to Utd where Van Gaal is already being billed as the some sort of Shankly/Jesus incarnate  after a couple of pre-season wins. If they don't hit the ground running the pressure will be right on.

Flying under the radar very much suits us.

Agree that a lot potentially hinges on us getting another starting quality forward in, though.
We can't rely on Danny to start 50+ games with his recent injury record.

Top four, a domestic cup and CL knockout stages would be fantastic and, I think, attainable.
"Winning trophies has made me put on weight"  - Rafa Benitez

Offline cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: August 14, 2014, 11:46:34 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/28624995

Dan Roan
BBC Sport
#PLPredictions

Posted at 11:11

"1. Liverpool, 2. Chelsea, 3. Man City, 4. Arsenal, Bottom three: Southampton, Burnley, Leicester.
"Most people will understandably write Liverpool off having lost their best player & with the added burden of Europe again. But last season was no fluke. The runners-up have reinvested the Suarez cash wisely, and for the first time in years have proper strength in depth and a solid defence.
"In Sterling, Coutinho and Sturridge they also possess the kind of young, attacking talent that will only improve, and which can compensate for the departure of their former talisman. Liverpool can go one better than last year, and be the surprise champions the premier league so desperately needs. There will be life after Luis, just you watch."

You tell 'em Dan

Offline ryatnalkar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #372 on: August 14, 2014, 11:51:13 am »
I hope we can win everything but as long we get back in champions league with good displays of attacking football I would be more than happy.

It takes a bit to gel so many new players into a team so this season even it's a bit on and off as long as we get back in CL next season we can only get better

Offline Ste08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: August 14, 2014, 12:29:32 pm »
We have a good squad, a top manager and we have been ace for 18 months now. Can't see that changing. One more quality forward and I believe we can go one better.

Offline friendofrocky

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #374 on: August 14, 2014, 01:52:05 pm »
There's alot of talk about how are we going to replace the Suarez goals tally from last year and I think this is where the general 'we are going to struggle this season' attitude is coming from. Brendan looks to have concentrated on strengthening our defence with the signings he's made so far, so I would expect a generous reduction in goals conceded. I don't think we will have to score 100 plus goals this year to be in contention - if we concede less we don't need to.

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #375 on: August 14, 2014, 01:54:13 pm »
We only need to score 38 goals to win the league.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #376 on: August 14, 2014, 02:02:16 pm »
Title challenge. I'd actually sack off the Champions League, i'd be happy with just getting out of the group, but for me, I really really really want the league more than anything.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline flipflan

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
  • Back off Warchild
« Reply #377 on: August 14, 2014, 02:08:17 pm »
CL semis
PREMIERSHIP MOTHERCHUFFING CHAMPIONS

Offline Qcase1977

• Kopite
« Reply #378 on: August 14, 2014, 02:12:47 pm »
Top 4 hopefully. Get another striker in maybe more.

Offline NeilR

• Anny Roader
« Reply #379 on: August 14, 2014, 02:15:55 pm »
Title challenge. I'd actually sack off the Champions League, i'd be happy with just getting out of the group, but for me, I really really really want the league more than anything.

I'd be happy with this too. It would prove last season wasnt just a fluke, cement our place in the CL to attract the best players for next season, and it also mean one of the other big teams (probably united or Arsenal) will not have the CL and will hinder their progression (a 2nd year out of that competition for utd would be great).

I honestly wouldnt be surprised if we won the league, despite most of the experts saying we'll finish fifth. As some have said, it will largely hinge on keeping Sturridge fit for the whole season (unless we bring in another top notch striker before the window closes).

Offline lostandfound

• Actually, just lost - might be in the wrong forum!
  • Main Stander
  • Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?
« Reply #380 on: August 14, 2014, 02:16:49 pm »
I wouldn't settle for simply top 4. We've tightened the defence and in the event we bring a top new striker in could make us stronger this season than last.

I'm not sure about domestic trophies or the CL, but in all honesty there won't be much holding us back, it's more than do-able now.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #381 on: August 14, 2014, 02:18:02 pm »
Just remember that most of these jokers had us outside the CL spots, and United finishing top three last season as well.
To be fair, most of us did too

Offline Lippy The Lion

• Kopite
« Reply #382 on: August 14, 2014, 02:21:37 pm »
We only need to score 38 goals to win the league.

Couple of 0-0 draws and we might only need 36  ;D
'To do is to be' - Sartre

'To be is to do' - Descartes

'Do be do be do' - Sinatra

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #383 on: August 14, 2014, 05:12:10 pm »
I'm amazed how many pundits have us struggling to make top 4 yet have Utd finishing 3rd.

Hilarious isn't it. Basically no one is giving us a hope in hell. Fantastic, i say, can't wait till May.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #384 on: August 14, 2014, 05:26:50 pm »
I expect us to beat Southampton, and when the first goal is scored for the commentator to say "Suarez who?"
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline DyingAtheist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: August 14, 2014, 09:42:13 pm »
Actual expectations? Out of the CL  group stages and solidify a top 4 spot. I think we'll achieve more than that, but that's my minimum expectation.

Online the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #386 on: August 14, 2014, 09:54:34 pm »
There's alot of talk about how are we going to replace the Suarez goals tally from last year and I think this is where the general 'we are going to struggle this season' attitude is coming from. Brendan looks to have concentrated on strengthening our defence with the signings he's made so far, so I would expect a generous reduction in goals conceded. I don't think we will have to score 100 plus goals this year to be in contention - if we concede less we don't need to.
If you look at it- the players we signed are all capable of adding to the goals and assists- moreso than the players they replace. If you think about the signings- Markovic, Lallana, Lambert, Lovren, Can(see the free runs into the box over pre-season when he was open for a tap-in, but was overlooked) and think about Moses, Aspas, Ali, you can already see the goal-threat in all those positions.

Dejan will just add to Skrtel's threat. To have 2 CBs who can easily score from set-pieces on the pitch at the same time, is just a ridiculous luxury.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Online the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #387 on: August 14, 2014, 09:56:15 pm »
I'd want both though, satta..
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #388 on: August 14, 2014, 10:03:47 pm »
Can(see the free runs into the box over pre-season when he was open for a tap-in, but was overlooked)

Henderson can also do that and it seems like he is going to do it often too

Offline TomDixie

• Main Stander
« Reply #389 on: August 14, 2014, 10:09:57 pm »
Liverpool to challenge for a top 4 spot and finish with somewhere around 75 points.

Offline princeoftherocks

• Legacy Fan
  • black sheep scouse
« Reply #390 on: August 14, 2014, 10:10:47 pm »
expecting lfc to deliver a monumental ass-pounding to the premier league, with a big, fat five-nil cock.  thanks.

Sorry about that.  Seriously, was a bit stoned.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 10:32:18 pm by princeoftherocks »
dios esta buena

Online the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #391 on: August 14, 2014, 10:11:33 pm »
Henderson can also do that and it seems like he is going to do it often too
Yip. The two new fullbacks also know where the goal is and they both seem to have a shot on them. In short- we seem to have goals in this team.

Offline xRedmanLFCx

• Legacy Fan
  • Of the glory, round the fields, of Anfield Road!
« Reply #392 on: August 14, 2014, 10:12:28 pm »
Top 4.

Champions League quarter final or beyond.
I always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside… Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #393 on: August 14, 2014, 10:14:02 pm »
Pretty sure I already posted this but I firmly believe we will challenge for, if not outright win, the title.  Our overall starting 11 is basically at the same level as last year when you minus Suarez but add the extra midfielder and better defenders we will be playing with, our team balance will be really strong.  Then with the bench and rotation options we have I don't see how we won't be just as good if not better than last year.

Offline xRedmanLFCx

• Legacy Fan
  • Of the glory, round the fields, of Anfield Road!
« Reply #394 on: August 14, 2014, 10:27:34 pm »
Couple of 0-0 draws and we might only need 36  ;D

31 goals could win us the league. 93 points.
I always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside… Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves.

Offline jordyball10

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #395 on: August 14, 2014, 10:30:22 pm »
Do we think city will boss the game at the Etihad?

Offline Po The Panda

• Keyboard Narcoleptic. Has Christiano Ronaldo as his profile picture. Stuck with this name. You could call it his legacy.....wants to pop a caps lock in yo ass.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Real Username: LEGACY
« Reply #396 on: August 14, 2014, 10:31:38 pm »
No.I think we'll play very well ,our last two away performances in the league at the Eithad deserved more,should have won both.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 12:34:11 am by Po The Panda »

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #397 on: August 14, 2014, 10:40:18 pm »
To me, this is a resetting year before the big push back into the elite of Europe begins next season.

I predict a 4th place finish, beating out United who end up 5th. Same top 4 as last year but I believe it's Chelsea's to lose.

I'll be content with us getting out of the group in CL.

Offline jordyball10

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #398 on: August 14, 2014, 10:42:30 pm »
No I think we'll play very well ,our last two away performances in the league at the Eithad deserved more should have won both.

I agree, do you think we will have enough quality to take 3 points?

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #399 on: August 15, 2014, 12:31:44 am »
Win.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.