Author Topic: Liverpool signed Kevin Linford Stewart. People have now noticed.  (Read 96815 times)

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
Re: Liverpool signed Kevin Linford Stewart. People have now noticed.
« Reply #400 on: January 19, 2017, 02:37:44 pm »
Next season Europe will provide game time for him and the cups and games at the weekend vs weaker opposition after a hard European match.

I have always enjoyed watching him. Does the simple stuff very well.

Needs a string of games, potentially a loan to a team like a play off championship team would do him the world of good. But I really want to keep him, cheap, hungry, doesn't want the spotlight on him at all and always does put a shift in.

You think if we get in the Champions League Stewart should be in our midfield?  Wowser.  He's barely good enough against teams like league 2 Plymouth,  he's nowhere near the first team for league minutes,  and next season he'll be 24.   If he's happy in the prime of his footballing career to not even make the league squad I'm not sure what to make of that really.  We need a squad full of players who genuinely push for first team chances,  not a lad in his mid 20's who's never selected on merit.

Look at our midfield currently.  Hendo/Can/Gini/Lallana,  all competing for 3 spots,  could anyone really say who is the best 3?  Stewart is nowhere near the level of these 4.  Can is younger and not without weaknesses,  but he's streets ahead of Stewart in every way,  ability,  experience,  everything.  This is what we need,  a squad with genuine competition for places,  and Stewart doesn't offer this.  All he offers is someone to fill in for games against the minnows of this world.  In that situation we might as well give the minutes to a young player with top quality potential, as we saw last night.
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #401 on: January 19, 2017, 02:43:58 pm »
You think if we get in the Champions League Stewart should be in our midfield?  Wowser.  He's barely good enough against teams like league 2 Plymouth,  he's nowhere near the first team for league minutes,  and next season he'll be 24.   If he's happy in the prime of his footballing career to not even make the league squad I'm not sure what to make of that really.  We need a squad full of players who genuinely push for first team chances,  not a lad in his mid 20's who's never selected on merit.

Look at our midfield currently.  Hendo/Can/Gini/Lallana,  all competing for 3 spots,  could anyone really say who is the best 3?  Stewart is nowhere near the level of these 4.  Can is younger and not without weaknesses,  but he's streets ahead of Stewart in every way,  ability,  experience,  everything.  This is what we need,  a squad with genuine competition for places,  and Stewart doesn't offer this.  All he offers is someone to fill in for games against the minnows of this world. In that situation we might as well give the minutes to a young player with top quality potential, as we saw last night.

the two with potential in that role, are both out on loan.  So nothing wrong with giving Stewart the game time, he's doing the job asked of him this season.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #402 on: January 19, 2017, 02:50:23 pm »

Look at our midfield currently.  Hendo/Can/Gini/Lallana,  all competing for 3 spots,  could anyone really say who is the best 3?  Stewart is nowhere near the level of these 4.  Can is younger and not without weaknesses,  but he's streets ahead of Stewart in every way,  ability,  experience,  everything.  This is what we need,  a squad with genuine competition for places,  and Stewart doesn't offer this.  All he offers is someone to fill in for games against the minnows of this world.  In that situation we might as well give the minutes to a young player with top quality potential, as we saw last night.

Nah, and thats not what he said either. But he will be in and around the squad, playing the earlier cup games as he has this season, playing the occassional league game or coming off the bench, providing cover. He's obviously happy with it, nice cheap British option there. And he's staying, and it would appear that at least one 'competitor' for that back-up position will be leaving either this or the next window.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #403 on: January 19, 2017, 04:17:14 pm »
If he doesn't mind only being a player that steps in every now n then for cover. Would like to keep him here.....decent player, doesn't make many mistakes, has a good temperament and seems like a solid professional that plays well in the manager's system.
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #404 on: January 19, 2017, 04:56:08 pm »
He's been decent and reliable when called upon, but considering that we'll likely sign another CM in the summer and that Grujic will be a bigger part of the squad going forward, it's difficult to see a path for Stewart to consistently contribute to the first team next season and onwards.

September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #405 on: January 19, 2017, 04:57:16 pm »
I rate him, he is no world beater but he does a solid job. Certainly a far better player than Jay Spearing.
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #406 on: January 19, 2017, 04:58:17 pm »
I rate him, he is no world beater but he does a solid job. Certainly a far better player than Jay Spearing.

Why bring Jay Spearing up? Weird.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: January 19, 2017, 05:04:30 pm »
Why bring Jay Spearing up? Weird.

someone upthread brought up Spearing.

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #408 on: January 19, 2017, 06:27:13 pm »

Wow I had no idea he was 24

Thought he was 19/20
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #409 on: January 19, 2017, 06:52:07 pm »
He'll never do anything more than that for us, never be good enough to be anything other than that player, but if nothing else he lets Henderson/Can/Whoever have a night off.
His name's Wijnaldum.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Online So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #410 on: January 19, 2017, 07:12:17 pm »
And if he does go we should get something decent for him.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #411 on: January 19, 2017, 07:29:03 pm »
the two with potential in that role, are both out on loan.  So nothing wrong with giving Stewart the game time, he's doing the job asked of him this season.

he's been mostly poor this season
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 07:48:27 pm by JackWard33 »

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: January 19, 2017, 07:29:30 pm »
And if he does go we should get something decent for him.
Agreed, something like this

I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #413 on: January 19, 2017, 07:50:03 pm »

Who do we have out on loan that is a DM?

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #414 on: January 19, 2017, 07:58:38 pm »

David Martin

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #415 on: January 19, 2017, 08:03:46 pm »
We saw with Brad Smith & also with Ibe. You give a youngster a few games and someone will bite your hand off for them.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: January 19, 2017, 08:46:01 pm »

Allan, and Pedro Chirivella are two that would play in a slightly more withdrawn midfield role put it that way.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #417 on: January 19, 2017, 10:30:18 pm »
Agreed, something like this

Yaya Toure just hit the like button.
We are Liverpool!

Offline Isaacsways

• Anny Roader
« Reply #418 on: January 19, 2017, 10:32:18 pm »
Don't think he's anywhere near the standard of squad player we need. You can see why Spurs let him go.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #419 on: January 19, 2017, 10:33:38 pm »
Don't think he's anywhere near the standard of squad player we need. You can see why Spurs let him go.
We've turned down £12m for him in the last month...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Pelé as a Comedian

• The seeker of the True Cockroach. Forgetful.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #420 on: January 19, 2017, 11:03:10 pm »

the negativity around him is astounding, much like the clusterfuck that is the Henderson thread. i think he's very limited but solid player, probably incapable of offering anything in the final third and thus not expected to achieve great things at all due to lack of versatility. he might be looking at a career in the championship. but damn, is he that much worse than Spearing, Huddlestone, Cleverley, Gibson or any other top six midfield reject ?

i think he's a talanted but limited DM. he really hasnt played enough nor consistently to judge him, but i think theres something there.

at worst we'll make a bit of money for him and he'll have a decent championship career. best case scenario he improves, plays a role in winning us some silverware this and/or next season with him as a squad option.

Offline Binomial

• Anny Roader
  • Live Breath and Sleep LFC
« Reply #421 on: January 19, 2017, 11:30:26 pm »

I doubt that's true, don't believe everything you read.

Which reputable source actually came out with that?
"He's leaving because he's Guardiola's favourite. If it's anyone's fault, it's mine. I can't make myself shorter and learn Spanish." - Klopp on Gotze to Bayern

Offline Binomial

• Anny Roader
« Reply #422 on: January 19, 2017, 11:31:25 pm »

It's called being an average footballer.
"He's leaving because he's Guardiola's favourite. If it's anyone's fault, it's mine. I can't make myself shorter and learn Spanish." - Klopp on Gotze to Bayern

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: January 19, 2017, 11:35:33 pm »
I doubt that's true, don't believe everything you read.

Which reputable source actually came out with that?

yeah, struggling to believe that number for a second. It'd be like the Ibe situation, someone offers that sort of money for a player whos never going to be more than a squad guy getting the occasional cup game start, I think Liverpool would be willing to talk.  I know some teams wanted him on loan and they turned that down, which is understandable.

I like Stewart, but I don't expect him to play any bigger role than he is now in this team.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #424 on: January 19, 2017, 11:43:36 pm »
Thing is, he's a Liverpool fan. Personally as a fellow red, I'd rather play ten games a season for us than week in, week out in the championship. I imagine a lot of fellow rawkites are the same. He's a great asset to the squad, plays the early FA cup and Carling Cup rounds and doesn't throw his toys out over lack of minutes. What's not to like?
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #425 on: January 19, 2017, 11:58:14 pm »
It's called being an average footballer.

Have a word with yourself!
We are Liverpool!

Offline Binomial

• Anny Roader
« Reply #426 on: January 20, 2017, 12:44:47 am »
Have a word with yourself!

Ok,

Me - "what do you make of Kevin Stewart."
I - "Just another average player."

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: January 20, 2017, 12:57:37 am »

No we haven't. We turned down £6m in the summer because £10-12m is our valuation.

Per: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/kevin-stewart-not-sale-liverpool-12398189

Offline Souness1

• Kopite
  • Lallana is the second coming
« Reply #428 on: January 20, 2017, 12:59:37 am »
Thing is, he's a Liverpool fan. Personally as a fellow red, I'd rather play ten games a season for us than week in, week out in the championship. I imagine a lot of fellow rawkites are the same. He's a great asset to the squad, plays the early FA cup and Carling Cup rounds and doesn't throw his toys out over lack of minutes. What's not to like?

It depends tho. Im guessing he would like to play some regular football at some point in his career. It would obviously be incredible to even be a part of the Liverpool squad but I'm sure at some point when he's retired he would regret not leaving for somewhere to be in the first XI consistently, if he stayed.

Offline Advil

• The Pain in Houllier's Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kopite Family
« Reply #429 on: January 20, 2017, 01:23:45 am »
I did not watch the match but what did he do wrong that he is getting such abuse here?

So every squad members of ours should be world class? That damn Ferguson never worn anything with SQUAD players like O Shea, Wes Brown and even Nicky Butt.
None but a noble man treats women in an honorable manner, and none but an ignorant man treats women disgracefully.
-Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: January 20, 2017, 01:36:34 am »
I did not watch the match but what did he do wrong that he is getting such abuse here?

So every squad members of ours should be world class? That damn Ferguson never worn anything with SQUAD players like O Shea, Wes Brown and even Nicky Butt.

I think its a case of some over selling his worth to the team, because he's getting talked down too much by another section!  Whereas the truth may well be right in the middle - he's a decent but not great squad player who's happy with his role, and doing a job in the limited playing time he gets.

Last nights game - he was ok, but gave the ball away cheaply a number of times.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #431 on: January 20, 2017, 01:53:54 am »
Ok,

Me - "what do you make of Kevin Stewart."
I - "Just another average player."

Are you a Liverpool supporter?
We are Liverpool!

Offline Advil

• The Pain in Houllier's Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kopite Family
« Reply #432 on: January 20, 2017, 02:34:55 am »
I think its a case of some over selling his worth to the team, because he's getting talked down too much by another section!  Whereas the truth may well be right in the middle - he's a decent but not great squad player who's happy with his role, and doing a job in the limited playing time he gets.

Last nights game - he was ok, but gave the ball away cheaply a number of times.

I get what you mean but if Klopp feel he is good enough for the squad then we should give him some support. The amount of people here criticizing him, it was as though he cost us the game with 2 own goals.
None but a noble man treats women in an honorable manner, and none but an ignorant man treats women disgracefully.
-Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #433 on: January 20, 2017, 02:55:16 am »
People are just anxious because we've got a very tough end of the month coming up after going through a tough December/January.

In times like this you want your team, even if it's the second team, to comfortably tonk League Two teams, to make everyone feel a little bit better about the uncertainties of the season.

When you don't, the likes of Kevin Stewart cop some blame, even if he's really only ever going to be a warm body for games like this one.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #434 on: January 20, 2017, 03:11:13 am »
It depends tho. Im guessing he would like to play some regular football at some point in his career. It would obviously be incredible to even be a part of the Liverpool squad but I'm sure at some point when he's retired he would regret not leaving for somewhere to be in the first XI consistently, if he stayed.

He will play regular football at some point in his career. It could be in the Premier League or perhaps at a good Championship club, but he's a decent player. Klopp obviously sees some qualities in him and he seems like a good lad, grounded, hard working and professional. His wages won't be breaking the bank (I can't imagine he's on more than 10-20 grand a week maximum) and he offers some physicality in some games and that aspect of our game is lacking sometimes.

If he is indeed a Liverpool fan he'll have a legitimate chance to win some trophies over the next year or two. If he makes enough cameo appearances for us and we win the league then he can live to 100 and say 'I won the Premier League with Liverpool.' Who could argue with that? And let me tell you, it's not just about what he does or doesn't do on the pitch. He probably trains really hard and if one or two of our midfielders get injured or drop off form then I don't think Klopp would hesitate to give him more minutes. In that way he's pushing our the lads who do play a bit further on (and that probably goes for one or two other fringe players or players who aren't playing as they'd like).

People just need to moan about something. Anything.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #435 on: January 20, 2017, 04:17:58 am »
If he doesn't mind only being a player that steps in every now n then for cover. Would like to keep him here.....decent player, doesn't make many mistakes, has a good temperament and seems like a solid professional that plays well in the manager's system.

I'd prefer an 19-20yo doing that and not a 24yo
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #436 on: January 20, 2017, 04:41:48 am »
Why? the exact same job is getting done, why would their age matter?

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #437 on: January 20, 2017, 09:37:34 am »
Seem to remember the same sorta shite being directed at Lucas 7-8 years ago,that took the confidence of his manager & a good run in the team for many reds to lighten up.
Go easy on the lad & show a bit of respect for our player.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #438 on: January 20, 2017, 09:51:05 am »
yeah, struggling to believe that number for a second. It'd be like the Ibe situation, someone offers that sort of money for a player whos never going to be more than a squad guy getting the occasional cup game start, I think Liverpool would be willing to talk.

In the summer? Probably

Now? Couldn't see us being interested in selling him for 12M

He's got a valuable role to play. Him being in the squad has allowed us to rest 1st team players in the FA Cup recently and in the EFL Cup earlier in the season. He'll be valuable when we play Wolves for the same reason.

We can all debate his long term value and potential to the squad. At the moment though he's a valuable member of the squad since he's allowing Klopp to rest 1st choice players in the cup games and prioritise the league games.

Next season we might want better quality than Stewart if we need to rotate for the additional European games. That's next season though. At the moment we need someone to rotate in for the early stages of the domestic cup competitions. Stewart has been fine for this role.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #439 on: January 20, 2017, 09:54:46 am »

What if the 24 year old is better?

And that allows you to win more games and give more exposure to the other 17-20 year olds who are getting game time in the domestic cups?

Holistically that's surely a better approach then just saying you'd rather give a less talented 19-20 year old a game in the same position.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.