Author Topic: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool Manager (ours to keep - or at least till 2018)  (Read 963955 times)

Offline RedMan89

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool Manager
« Reply #560 on: February 15, 2014, 12:49:50 pm »
Notorious at ending careers AVB and Meulensteen

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #561 on: February 15, 2014, 12:53:53 pm »
Notorious at ending careers AVB and Meulensteen
Moyes next?
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #562 on: February 15, 2014, 12:55:13 pm »
Moyes next?

:( It would be such a bittersweet moment.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #563 on: February 15, 2014, 01:07:11 pm »
Impossible to not be impressed with the Rodgers since he has come in a couple of seasons ago. A lot has been written on here and by journos about all of the excellent work that he has done, and will continue to do undoubtedly for as long as he is in charge of us. How many years will that be? Such an interesting question that because its hard to see where this road ends. Of course nobody knows what will happen tomorrow (except for me.... Same shit different day) but the relentlessly positive atmosphere that surrounds LFC at the moment; From the owners, manager, 1st team squad, the academy and the fans, the old saying of everyone pulling together trying to accomplish one aim has never felt more appropriate.

The most pleasing aspect of our current set up for me is the fact that the whole club still feels in its infancy of its growth, and the potential of the club, team and academy is massive. I mean, the owners are new to 'soccer', and although there has been hiccups along the way (Comolli), they have shown that they want to run the club the 'right' way- within our means, have made positive noises around the stadium and have backed the manager in player recruitment in a prudent way.

Player recruitment is just one of the many things that people have spoken extensively about recently but for me it is the most pleasing and important aspect of what Rodgers has brought to the club. At the end of the day, a team is still a collective of individuals and having a 'committee' and a manager that can identify the quality of player, with the correct temperament at the right age and right price is key to the future success of the club. The summer window was when it honed on me just how astute Brendan can be. The signing of Sakho and the young boy Ilori for decent money combined when other areas of the squad might have been seen 'more' in need of extra competition, only stands to show how Rodgers will sign a player for any position if the right quality of player is available. At the time of the signings he spoke about how signing these two players was about safeguarding the future, Rafa spoke similarly when signing Suso and Sterling and revamping youth recruitment, Rafa's future is Rodgers present in that respect. The signings of Sturridge and Coutinho speak for themselves, but even the lads that havent quite hit the heights for us yet that Rodgers has signed, mainly Joe Allen (who I rate highly and cannot wait to see his peak), Alberto, Aspas, Borini, have all shown that they possess the flashes of the quality that is required to hold a place down in our squad. Even signings such as Cissokho, Sahin and Moses, although not successful (on the whole) shows his willingness to give players a chance to play for us who might possibly add something to the squad. If it hasn't worked out, he has shown a ruthlessness to give someone else a chance.

I read an interview on here that someone posted up a few days ago, where Rodgers was speaking about getting the CORE:

“I always say to players and in particular to young players that at Liverpool we work on what we call the ‘core’. We get the ‘commitment’. Once we have do that we will ‘organise’ a plan for them to get into the first team. When that happens it is their ‘responsibility’ and hopefully after that we can deliver ‘excellence’ in their performance level that keeps them there. If they don’t they will fall by the wayside.”

The other most impressive part of his reign for me is this. His ability to seemingly coach/man-manage/literally drag players up to the required standard and their best form is possibly the mans most natural trait as a manager. That coupled with his willingness to try any player who shows they are good enough is a dangerous combination. Is it far-fetched to suggest that even more young players already at the club can now progress to become top class Premiership players? Following this CORE blueprint, any player that shows the aptitude can succeed and follow on from the inroads Sterling, Flanagan, Kelly, Wisdom, Suso, Ibe have already. In many ways, even the academy feels in its formative years, which seems silly to suggest after all the work Borrell and everyone at the academy has done over the years, its almost like the chick we grew has just laid is first eggs, and they are all hatching now. That list of players seems like the first 'batch' to come through, Rodgers forward thinking could allow many more to follow. Disciples of the ressies and u18s will know what I mean, there are many talented players at all levels of the club, with a clear blueprint to follow maybe more will make the transition.

Juan Loco posted a belter in the Arsenal Round the Table thread where he spoke of Rodgers tactical flexibility and his relaxing of some of his footballing philosophies, which was spot on in its analysis. What really amazes me is the fact that Rodgers himself is hardly an old head in the game. Still young for a manager and new to managing a club of our stature, he is showing that he is learning and adapting all the time. He looks like he enjoys his job, looks comfortable within it too, nothing worse than seeing an Villas-Boas-type looking sullen even after a win, almost haunted by their job. That isn't to say that he has got it right every time, or even that he will get it right in the future. As good as this season has been thus far, there are still question marks over how we are set up tactically away from home, 23 conceded on the road is only better than about 4 teams in the league. I am not sure that he has the tactical answers yet against good teams away from home. Not only against the Man City's and Chelsea's of the world, two examples of where I think Rodgers has been slightly naive this season, maybe in seasons to come we will set up differently away from home against the 'top 4'. But also against the likes of West Brom, West Ham, Southampton, Swansea. For me, these teams usually hold the key to the season at the top end, if I was a a manger and had a team good enough to beat those four teams away from home every season, I'd be pretty confident of winning the title. I'm not suggesting that that list of teams is particularly great, but that they are tough fixtures in reality, tough grounds to win at. I saw an interview with Rodgers where he spoke about "the best managers being the best thieves" (nicked from Capello ((who probably nicked it from someone else)) and couldn't help but wish Rodgers would nick a bit that tactical steel, pragmatism, in grinding out results away from home. I was schooled during the Houiller years and the one thing that stands out for me with Gedda was his ability to shut games down and win them, cup competitions and in Europe, on the road we were tight and tough to score against. Rafa was the same (even more so) and the more experienced top class managers all have a coherent tactical setup away from home in the biggest games. I am sure it is something that will come with experience but it is clearly an area that Rodgers and the team need to work on to improve. Especially with Champions League back next season, finding the right balance between defence and attack, when to be compact, when and where to make the final third entries, use of subs, etc in tough away games is for me the final piece in the jigsaw. If Rodgers can add that to his tactics book, the skys the limit. It truly is. There's more signings to come, more options, more talent. A young squad, a young manager, screams out potential from every corner. It been a pleasure watching us this season. Onwards and upwards I reckon.

This. Brilliant post. We have got a proper liverpool manager on our hands and all that statement infers.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline rafa4eva

• Kopite
« Reply #564 on: February 15, 2014, 03:14:39 pm »
I've written a few drafts of a post and buckled every time, some great posts and insight in many threads.

So I'll try and summarise my feelings as succinctly as I can and leave room for the more eloquent and respected posters to post more articulate and insightful thoughts.

As of the last 4 matches besides WBA and even against fulham ( watch the football, passing and movement before Sturridge is fouled for the penalty is a great example of how we are playing under Brendan but we struggled at times to be honest in that match ) we have probably played as well as we did under rafa. Great movement, passing, desire, intense consistent and constant pressing. There's a def a buzz similar to what I felt under rafa of late, we have more consistency which has always been a main concern considering the lack of games we have to play.

For me to say this, means a lot to me as I still love rafa and he was the man under which I truly believed we could succeed but my posting history will show my thoughts and feeling since he left the club.

I think Suarez, Sturridge, coutinhio and sterling would walk into Rafas 1st 11. That's saying something and testimony to our transfer picks, even with the insanity of 35mill on Tarzan anyway they are fanstastic players who have really grown under Brendan. Suarez is absolutely key to our success and I don't think I've seen a more complete attacking player at our club and I think it's a big mistake to under play the effect he is having on our side. Maybe I downplay Brendan's effect on Suarez, but we spent 25mill on him that's European class cash and yes he's got better but I personally believe he's matured, he has better players supporting him who I think he trusts more importantly compared to when he joined us, I cannot put into words how special he is.

The arsenal result was where I think I saw something I hadn't seen since rafa, where you see we had broken a teams spirit. However some balance, when skirtel scores 2 goals from headers in 9min then things are going our way, I still think arsenal for whatever reason just weren't at the races but hey that's my opinion and tempers my enthusiasm of the result rather than denying it !

My concerns moving forwards will be how Brendan manages multiple competitions if we stay in the top 4,  I'm not thinking about 1st
Our transfers ( in and out ) need to be spot on again this summer
Will Sturridge be able to replicate this season again

I'm still not in love with Brendan to the extent others are, but right now I seem incapable of loving anything however my respect for him has definitely grown this season.

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #565 on: February 15, 2014, 03:34:50 pm »

I'm still not in love with Brendan to the extent others are, but right now I seem incapable of loving anything however my respect for him has definitely grown this season.

Not meant as an attack, but it seems like you feel in love with a person not the club. Whether that is a player or a manager it is always a huge mistake.

As to your points Rodgers is absolutely responsible for turning Suarez from a top international player to a top 5 players in the world player. The same as he is responsible for turning Sterling from a bright prospect to an international class player. The same as he turned Flannaghan from a guy RAWK thought was a lower league player to a semi regular in a top 4 premiership team. And I could go on with the likes of Henderson and Sturridge, even Cissokho. Players under Rodgers improve, that is not luck, whatever else is up for debate when it comes to his abilities, to deny his effect as a coach on players shows some sort of bias.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #566 on: February 15, 2014, 03:38:44 pm »
Not meant as an attack, but it seems like you feel in love with a person not the club. Whether that is a player or a manager it is always a huge mistake.

As to your points Rodgers is absolutely responsible for turning Suarez from a top international player to a top 5 players in the world player. The same as he is responsible for turning Sterling from a bright prospect to an international class player. The same as he turned Flannaghan from a guy RAWK thought was a lower league player to a semi regular in a top 4 premiership team. And I could go on with the likes of Henderson and Sturridge, even Cissokho. Players under Rodgers improve, that is not luck, whatever else is up for debate when it comes to his abilities, to deny his effect as a coach on players shows some sort of bias.

He is a world class coach who is evolving into a fantastic manager. Humble with integrity for the club, the city and his fellow professionals, in short he's ours and that's genius!
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #567 on: February 15, 2014, 03:47:17 pm »

Spot on mate.

You can't downplay what Brendan has done in his short time at the club regardless of if you love the guy or not. 

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #568 on: February 15, 2014, 03:55:32 pm »
He is a world class coach who is evolving into a fantastic manager. Humble with integrity for the club, the city and his fellow professionals, in short he's ours and that's genius!
Beautifully put mate, particularly the first point. His managerial decisions recently have been extremely impressive.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline TitanTrigger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #569 on: February 15, 2014, 03:59:55 pm »

And if any further proof were needed look at how Swansea players have regressed since he left. With the money we gave them for Brendan and Allen together with the money they have earned by being in the premier league they have been able to spend like never before to strengthen the team but I'd still fancy Brendan's Swansea team of championship players against todays Swansea.

Offline rafa4eva

• Kopite
« Reply #570 on: February 15, 2014, 07:35:16 pm »

I won't deny bias, whether it's a mistake I'll leave you to answer, but I hold a great respect for Rafa esp when he was the last person at that time who actually genuinely cared about us as a club, hence putting my hand up at the beginning, so for me to say Brendan has the side playing as well as we did under rafa means a lot to me, if we get more consistency we could surpass Rafas achievements. It honestly was my most open praise for Brendan and his efforts so far on rawk.

As for the players you highlight, I read your opinion but also hold onto mine, some are ones I've been supporting and had hopes for whether rawk approves or not. A few of those names I think we need to see perform to this level over a few seasons but Brendan is the manager and they're def. his players now, we are competing at a more consistent level, however I've noted my concerns throughout this season but he and the team are proving me wrong on the ones they can.

Let's see how the rest of the season pans out, but hats off to Brendan we have had some great team performances this years and some insane goals.

Offline Vlads

• Anny Roader
  • We've only won it six times..
« Reply #571 on: February 15, 2014, 07:38:26 pm »
Moyes next?

Moyes is doing a wonderful job messing things up there at the Theatre of Nightmares. Long may his reign continue. I hope they keep getting patient with him / giving him chances while he continues to eff things up over there.

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #572 on: February 15, 2014, 07:53:46 pm »
I wouldn't swap him for any manager in the world right now. I am so excited about where he can take us. I honestly believe that once we get in the CL and that opens up the funds and the attraction the bring in the very best players that he wants, I think there'll be no limit to where he can take us.

To think of where we are now after just 18 months in charge is incredible. Rafa made me dream and this season, Brendan is making me dream too. We have our belief back and I love it.

We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #573 on: February 15, 2014, 07:56:47 pm »
Just love what Brendan is doing for the Club, the players and the fans. 

What a fantastic coach he, the future's bright, the future's all Red.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #574 on: February 15, 2014, 08:37:45 pm »
"Ahh, the lads just been a wee bit lucky, needs to cross a lot more if he wants to get top eight in this league"

Gollum
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #575 on: February 15, 2014, 09:17:32 pm »
Love the man, and the change he's implemented in the club in not even 2 years is staggering. Particularly love the way he's handled the "Gerrard conundrum' - I was dubious when he moved Stevie into defensive midfield, but his last couple of performances have been unbelievable. It could even have added a couple of years onto Steven's career.

In fact, the only thing I don't like about Brendan is the fact that he's the first Liverpool manager to be younger than me. Bastard!
Thank you Jurgen

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #576 on: February 15, 2014, 09:20:15 pm »
I wouldn't swap him for any manager in the world right now.

Neither would I. If someone put a gun to my head though only Pep, Heynckes, and Kopp would be on my list.

I adore Rata, but I wouldn't even swap him for Brendan now which is the highest compliment I can pay him really.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #577 on: February 16, 2014, 01:29:34 am »
I'm starting to think that the last 5 years of being in the abyss might have been worth it for the success Brendan looks like bringing to the club in the near to distant future. At the very least our fans will have some perspective and won't be spoiled by success like others in the league *cough* yernited *cough*

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #578 on: February 16, 2014, 02:30:13 am »
I have been just so impressed by his ability to bring the best out of individual players.

He took a chance on Sturridge, unfancied by City and Chelsea, and made him one of the best strikers in the league.

Coutinho was struggling to even make the bench at times at Inter Milan, under Rodgers he has become one of the best young players in England at 21.

Henderson has gone from being a hard-working utility man to one of the best box-to-box midfielders in the league.

Flanagan was written off by nearly everyone only a matter of months ago, and now people are suggesting him as a possible option for England in the summer.

And other examples.

It's a quality that separates a good manager from a very good (and possibly great) manager and Brendan seems to have it.

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #579 on: February 16, 2014, 02:38:04 am »
There's a good interview in the Mail. I'll post his quotes only, because I'll be god damned if I'm linking to that shite.

'My life's work has been trying to show that British players can play. I grew up being told they weren't as good technically or tactically as European players - it's the biggest tosh I've ever heard,'

'It's about giving players confidence. British players are born the same as Spanish players but we have an inferiority complex.

'I've worked with kids from the age of five to world-class players at Chelsea and Liverpool. I have a decent idea what technique looks like and British players are as good as Europeans. John Terry was a brilliant footballer and tactically brilliant. Steven Gerrard is the best I've worked with for tempo and technique. An England team with Gerrard, Lampard and Paul Scholes in midfield should have dominated games, dominated the ball.'

'There's no reason English players can't succeed. We have players who have confidence and who can play,'

'Look at Jon Flanagan. At one point we didn't even have any Championship clubs who wanted him on loan. But I hear people talking about what a good passer of the ball he is. It's exercises and drills that have made him better and better. Look at Jordan Henderson. Everyone is talking about how good he is tactically. He can play and pass. We can do that in this country but players need to be encouraged and given confidence. And, of course, the players also have to want to do it.'

'There are triggers when to go and press the ball and you need tactical discipline from everyone, A club like Barcelona teach it from their youth teams, so when young players make the first team they already know all the triggers. It took time to introduce it here but the players all listened. The reference (when to press) is in relation to who has got the ball, which opponent. You might have a right-footer like (Arsenal defender Laurent) Koscielny playing on the left side so you could highlight him. You let him have the ball and as soon as he has it, you jump, you press, you know what his passing line is going to be, so you set up your winger to press on the next one. The midfield follow up. They are all links in a chain.'

'The game against Arsenal was a beautiful game as a coach. I was very proud to watch the team because that's what you work on. To hear some of the former players like John Barnes and John Aldridge, who come from a time when Liverpool were in their pomp, talking about the best part of a game they have ever seen - that really tells you the level the team is at.'

'The idea is to try to win the FA Cup. Last year, I gave opportunities to the squad in the FA Cup and it showed the depth wasn't good enough because we lost to Oldham. This season there will be no wholesale changes in the Cup.'

'It's OK, we are good friends and I know the game, I take it as a compliment that after 18 months we are being talked about in that way. If you go back to September 2012 and look at what Jose said when I came in, that the club was not set up to win the league, it shows you his thoughts on where we were at then and where we are now.'
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #580 on: February 16, 2014, 03:14:56 am »
I have been just so impressed by his ability to bring the best out of individual players.

He took a chance on Sturridge, unfancied by City and Chelsea, and made him one of the best strikers in the league.

Coutinho was struggling to even make the bench at times at Inter Milan, under Rodgers he has become one of the best young players in England at 21.

Henderson has gone from being a hard-working utility man to one of the best box-to-box midfielders in the league.

Flanagan was written off by nearly everyone only a matter of months ago, and now people are suggesting him as a possible option for England in the summer.

And other examples.

It's a quality that separates a good manager from a very good (and possibly great) manager and Brendan seems to have it.

I agree with everything, except that he knew exactly what he was getting with Sturridge when he signed him having worked with him previously, so it wasn't really "taking a chance on him" in that sense. He also had a good scoring record prior to Liverpool as well, despite never been given an extended run in a central role. The talent was there, and Brendan knew that.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #581 on: February 16, 2014, 03:18:27 am »
I agree with everything, except that he knew exactly what he was getting with Sturridge when he signed him having worked with him previously, so it wasn't really "taking a chance on him" in that sense. He also had a good scoring record prior to Liverpool as well, despite never been given an extended run in a central role. The talent was there, and Brendan knew that.

He didn't work with Sturridge. Sturridge arrived at Chelsea in 2009, Rodgers was already managing Watford at that point
Better looking than Samie.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #582 on: February 16, 2014, 03:34:20 am »
He didn't work with Sturridge. Sturridge arrived at Chelsea in 2009, Rodgers was already managing Watford at that point

Well informed, you are! I guess it was a bit of risky business then. I still maintain it was a pretty "safe" buy though given that he'd already had some success in this league for 3 teams. Coutinho for example was more of a gamble given he had only played sporadically in Italy and also briefly at Espanyol iirc

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #583 on: February 16, 2014, 03:45:32 am »
The gamble on Sturridge wasn't his ability, I think anyone with a brain could see he was at the very least a striker worth 12 mill, the question was about his temprement and desire and attitude.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline tuaz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #584 on: February 16, 2014, 04:27:45 am »
@something awful, re the quoted news article:

There's a big "educator" streak in BR.

You can tell he's hoping to slowly change the mindset of the public and football establishment with what he's saying about coaching, the English game at the youngest age groups versus at the highest levels.

Offline Bolrick

• :1,$s?olr?aldr?g
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #585 on: February 16, 2014, 04:45:44 am »
I am not BR biggest fan when he came...but I am warming up to him. I still think he gives too much away when he is talking to the press (especially when we are on a winning run).

I hope the team maintain its focus and continue the winning run until the end of the season. We haven't won anything yet (or sewn up the 4th position).

For me one of the things I sincerely am happy about BR is that he has more class than that turd at Chelsea. I am sure he will surpass mourinho once it is all said and done.  8)
Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #586 on: February 16, 2014, 05:04:08 am »
I am not BR biggest fan when he came...but I am warming up to him. I still think he gives too much away when he is talking to the press (especially when we are on a winning run).

I hope the team maintain its focus and continue the winning run until the end of the season. We haven't won anything yet (or sewn up the 4th position).

I'm a big fan of Rodgers, but I agree that he does give away slightly too much information in the press, particularly pre-game. For example, he's already said he won't even think about resting anyone for the game against Arsenal; in my opinion he could have confused Arsene Wenger a bit by saying he might be looking to rest a few players and give opportunities to fringe players to tempt Arsene to field a weaker team. On the other hand its a sign that he has utmost confidence in himself and his team that he doesn't need to play mind-games, and I'm sure his team appreciate him for his direct approach in the media (if he says he'll play fringe players but then doesn't it might be a bit disheartening for those fringe players otherwise).

I don't think anyone can criticize what he's accomplished so far though in any case, but it'll be interesting to see how he does in the run-in when things get a bit more heated. In particular I'm curious to follow the way he handles Mourinho's constant yapping as (potentially) the title challenge builds momentum leading up to the game with Chelsea in April. So far he's done impeccably well with the "foal" and "little chihuahua between the horses legs" interviews, but he's not really been under any significant pressure yet. I really hope he keeps deflecting any talk of us being title challengers as the team seems to be performing great as a dark horse without the pressure of being a favourite, but all it takes for that to change is a slip up or two and the media will be all over it bigging it up and putting pressure on the team no doubt.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #587 on: February 16, 2014, 05:07:58 am »
I'm a big fan of Rodgers, but I agree that he does give away slightly too much information in the press, particularly pre-game. For example, he's already said he won't even think about resting anyone for the game against Arsenal; in my opinion he could have confused Arsene Wenger a bit by saying he might be looking to rest a few players and give opportunities to fringe players to tempt Arsene to field a weaker team. On the other hand its a sign that he has utmost confidence in himself and his team that he doesn't need to play mind-games, and I'm sure his team appreciate him for his direct approach in the media (if he says he'll play fringe players but then doesn't it might be a bit disheartening for those fringe players otherwise).

I don't think anyone can criticize what he's accomplished so far though in any case, but it'll be interesting to see how he does in the run-in when things get a bit more heated. In particular I'm curious to follow the way he handles Mourinho's constant yapping as (potentially) the title challenge builds momentum leading up to the game with Chelsea in April. So far he's done impeccably well with the "foal" and "little chihuahua between the horses legs" interviews, but he's not really been under any significant pressure yet. I really hope he keeps deflecting any talk of us being title challengers as the team seems to be performing great as a dark horse without the pressure of being a favourite, but all it takes for that to change is a slip up or two and the media will be all over it bigging it up and putting pressure on the team no doubt.

Wenger - and every other top level manager - is smarter than that. The only way to play and win that particular game is to outright lie about injuries to players, but even that would soon be found out. Rodgers gives out only as much as he knows the opponent knows.

Offline El Ninos Black Eye

• Legacy Fan
  • What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
« Reply #588 on: February 16, 2014, 10:42:31 am »
He had actually, although only briefly. Rodgers said when we signed him that he had been going round different clubs whilst doing his badges and that he first spotted and realised how good Sturridge was when he worked with him briefly at Coventry as a kid. 
"I'm being watched by the Secret Police and wondering when they’re going to come and take me away"

Offline Jaska

• Hävytön mulkku - cheek shagger
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #589 on: February 16, 2014, 11:06:00 am »
Have you realised how much we have progressed so far this season? One class writer highlighted some good points on another forum and here are the most important bits.

Most people regard 2008/09 season to be the ultimate pinnacle of our Premier League era but actually we are not that far behind at this point despite of losing to Hull or drawing with Villa and West Brom. After 26 games of season 08/09 we had accumulated 55 points after 26 games. Now we have 53 points so we are only two points (!) behind. The gap to leaders Man Utd was 7 points after 26 games in 08/09, now the gap is mere 4 points. In 08/09 we had scored 43 times whereas now we have scored 66 times which is only 2 less than the much praised Man City. In 08/09 we had conceded 18, this season we have conceded 32 times. However, the goal difference in 08/09 +25, now it is +34.

In 08/09 our spring was pretty much flawless and during that season we also had exceptionally good record vs top4, so naturally we can't except a point tally as big as then. But no matter what, it is still possible.

When you add to the equation that some of our best ever football during the modern era has been played this season (Spurs away, Everton home and Arsenal home) we are actually witnessing one of our best ever periods during the Premier League era. We are pretty much as close or even closer to the title race than we were during Rafa's era. It is, of course, possible that the rest of our season doesn't go as well as we'd want but our points per game average is good. Man City and Chelsea still need to come to Anfield and Arsenal have really hard games coming in thick and fast.

So, all in all, there are massive amount of reasons to be positive at this point. We are witnessing some exciting times for sure.

Offline redintweed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #590 on: February 16, 2014, 12:34:31 pm »
My only issue to continued success is that he may get poached by a big foreign team. He has the demeanor, has been in Spain (and speaks the lingo) and has proved he has the ability to improve players. Hopefully he wants a long (winning) spell with us and doesn't get tempted.
I'd rather play for Liverpool Reserves than Everton.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #591 on: February 16, 2014, 01:12:58 pm »
He had actually, although only briefly. Rodgers said when we signed him that he had been going round different clubs whilst doing his badges and that he first spotted and realised how good Sturridge was when he worked with him briefly at Coventry as a kid.

He would have been 11-12, though. And he would have "worked" with him for a handful of sessions at most. There is not a coach in the world worth their salt that would hang their hat on predicting if a 12 year old will make it or not. So while it's true that he did come in contact with Sturridge, it's not the same as what Rickardinho is referring to, which is working with him professionally?

Offline kenworthy

• but Deirdre isn't
  • Legacy Fan
  • He hits them from 40 yards...
« Reply #592 on: February 16, 2014, 01:22:37 pm »
Moyes next?

I hope not! Hope they persevere with him for as long as possible.  :)
★      ★      ★      ★      ★
77     78     81     84     05
               YNWA

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #593 on: February 16, 2014, 03:00:12 pm »
Moyes next?
Davey must stay at OT as long as humanly possible, probably the full 6 years of his contract.

Then a return to Woodison, the Return of The King (David).
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Wiss_LFC

• Wuss_WUM: Diss_missed but won't be ATALL_missed.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #594 on: February 16, 2014, 06:15:07 pm »
Probably not the right time to bring it up but he really needs to work on his plan for away games. We have a lot of tough ones coming up in the league and it needs to be sorted very soon otherwise we are going to be missing out on top 4.

Home game aren't a problem as we force the opposition to play our way, but away we seem to give teams to much respect.
I'll bring out the stats and heat maps if we sign him.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #595 on: February 16, 2014, 06:27:47 pm »
Probably not the right time to bring it up but he really needs to work on his plan for away games. We have a lot of tough ones coming up in the league and it needs to be sorted very soon otherwise we are going to be missing out on top 4.

Home game aren't a problem as we force the opposition to play our way, but away we seem to give teams to much respect.

Nonsense. What respect did we give Arsenal? 57% possession - at Arsenal - double the shots, double the shots on target.

We got suckered with a couple of sloppy goals. Nothing to do with a 'plan' or showing too much respect.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Wiss_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #596 on: February 16, 2014, 06:33:43 pm »
Nonsense. What respect did we give Arsenal? 57% possession - at Arsenal - double the shots, double the shots on target.

We got suckered with a couple of sloppy goals. Nothing to do with a 'plan' or showing too much respect.

1st half we were shocking and against a weakended Arsenal team we did show them too much respect for my liking. Plus it's not just today's game it's been all year. Just look at our remaining fixtures for the season it needs to be addressed soon. I would like to see Brendan work on it personally.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #597 on: February 16, 2014, 06:35:04 pm »
1st half we were shocking and it's not just today's game it's been all year. Just look at our remaining fixtures for the season it needs to be addressed soon. I would like to see Brendan work on it personally.

We weren't "shocking" at all. There is stuff in between great and shit. Again; how does today's game fit your description of "paying too much respect"? It doesn't.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #598 on: February 16, 2014, 06:40:06 pm »
1st half we were shocking and against a weakended Arsenal team we did show them too much respect for my liking. Plus it's not just today's game it's been all year. Just look at our remaining fixtures for the season it needs to be addressed soon. I would like to see Brendan work on it personally.

2 early Sturridge chances, had he finished them off as he has been, it could have been a 5-1 thumping again. Goals change games, they took their chances, we didn't it was really that simple.
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline Wiss_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #599 on: February 16, 2014, 06:41:46 pm »
We weren't "shocking" at all. There is stuff in between great and shit. Again; how does today's game fit your description of "paying too much respect"? It doesn't.

Against a weak Arsenal team with us having basically the same team that smashed them at home last week we should of done better.

The away form is a genuine worry