Author Topic: Potential LB signings  (Read 68665 times)

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Moaning bed wetter, cry wanks for Torres
  • Believer
Re: Potential LB signings
« Reply #160 on: May 17, 2014, 12:35:28 PM »
He doesn't need you telling him what he's thinking. It was a well constructed and thought out post regardless of whether you rate Bertand or not. People can have different opinions on players but a lot of the posts offer nothing on here other than Bertrand is shite, repeated numerous times over.

It's the same with every shite player we're linked with though. I'm convinced no matter who we're linked with people will be reminding us that Brendan Rodgers is our manager and he could do this and that for him.

Alex Bruce, the potential's there, just let Brendan work his magic!
"I was pleased also with Peter Crouch. We have been talking to him, before and after his nose operation, to show more confidence with his heading.

"Now it seems to have worked. Lets say that if he has a few games without scoring again, maybe we should arrange to break his nose again."

Rafa.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: May 17, 2014, 12:35:38 PM »
Feel as though Bernat is going a bit under the radar here. How much would he realistically cost?

Offline Wiss_LFC

• Wuss_WUM: Diss_missed but won't be ATALL_missed.
  • Believer
Re: Ryan Bertrand
« Reply #162 on: May 17, 2014, 12:36:35 PM »
It might just be me who thinks Brendan is a bit special in getting the best out of players people have doubts about?

I agree, Brendan is a master at doing that.

But the player first needs to have the talent and desire to succeed, I don't think Bertrand has that considering at how many clubs he has done already.
I'll bring out the stats and heat maps if we sign him.

Online Foregone Concussion

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #163 on: May 17, 2014, 12:38:36 PM »
It's the same with every shite player we're linked with though. I'm convinced no matter who we're linked with people will be reminding us that Brendan Rodgers is our manager and he could do this and that for him.

Alex Bruce, the potential's there, just let Brendan work his magic!

That's nonsense but if you don't rate Bertrand, then it'd be better to state why rather than levelling the kind of above at posters.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Moaning bed wetter, cry wanks for Torres
  • Believer
« Reply #164 on: May 17, 2014, 12:46:53 PM »
That's nonsense but if you don't rate Bertrand, then it'd be better to state why rather than levelling the kind of above at posters.

I don't rate Ryan Bertrand as I have watched him play football on numerous occasions and he wasn't very good.

"I was pleased also with Peter Crouch. We have been talking to him, before and after his nose operation, to show more confidence with his heading.

"Now it seems to have worked. Lets say that if he has a few games without scoring again, maybe we should arrange to break his nose again."

Rafa.

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #165 on: May 17, 2014, 12:50:56 PM »
I don't rate Ryan Bertrand as I have watched him play football on numerous occasions and he wasn't very good.

Ok, enough with the sarcasm or levelling baseless accusations at other posters. Thanks.

Offline Wiss_LFC

• Believer
« Reply #166 on: May 17, 2014, 12:52:03 PM »

I don't know why, but that made me laugh for some odd reason  ;D

Offline rickardinho1

• Believer
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #167 on: May 17, 2014, 12:56:44 PM »
Maybe the transfer committee still don't have the confidence in their ability to sign the real big fish since this is the first summer where they can really target them. So what they do is include one or two "insurance" choices on their lists. A Ryan Bertrand if you will.

Offline Caston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #168 on: May 17, 2014, 12:58:11 PM »
We can do much better

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #169 on: May 17, 2014, 01:01:11 PM »
Maybe the transfer committee still don't have the confidence in their ability to sign the real big fish since this is the first summer where they can really target them.

That would be worrying if true.

Offline Caston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #170 on: May 17, 2014, 01:02:31 PM »
That would be worrying if true.

And bullshit too seeing as they went for Willian, Costa and Micky Ryan before

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Believer
« Reply #171 on: May 17, 2014, 01:15:01 PM »
Maybe the transfer committee still don't have the confidence in their ability to sign the real big fish since this is the first summer where they can really target them. So what they do is include one or two "insurance" choices on their lists. A Ryan Bertrand if you will.

I'm not sure they lack the confidence to sign big names, but when you're trying to sign players for multiple positions there's always a fair chance you'll struggle to get all of the targets you want, and one or two players might need to be brought in out of necessity if that's the case.

If anything does concern me it's the disparity that seems to be present between the players we sign and the players Brendan wants. I don't think we've signed bad players and I don't think Brendan has the wrong targets, but whichever direction we take we need to do it as a whole.

Offline Redric1970

• Kopite
« Reply #172 on: May 17, 2014, 01:23:00 PM »
Let's be totally honest here Bertrand or Enrique (now he seems over his injury) for me it's a no brainier I would rather keep the cash than waste it on Bertrand, I have seen him play a few times and he's never stood out for me, love him or usually hate him I would take Ashley cole over him every day of the week.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 01:34:20 PM by Redric1970 »

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Believer
« Reply #173 on: May 17, 2014, 01:29:20 PM »
Feel as though Bernat is going a bit under the radar here. How much would he realistically cost?

Cheaper than Moreno probably, and he really isn't any less talented imo (especially going forward), another left back who looks good enough on the ball to be a left winger.

A small part of me does wonder though, if were interested in going for all these defensively suspect marauding wing backs, we might as well focus our time on developing Smith into a decent player and investing in Cole for the mean time.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #174 on: May 17, 2014, 04:02:50 PM »
what about Cashly better than Bertrand at least, dont like the guy but might look better in All Red.
The National Pensioners Convention (NPC) is the principal organisation representing pensioners in the United Kingdom. It is made up of around 1,000 bodies representing 1.5 million members, organised into federal regional units.
The NPC was founded by former Transport and General Workers' Union trade union leader, Jack Jones in 1979

Offline Samie

• Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #175 on: May 17, 2014, 04:04:51 PM »
what about Cashly better than Bertrand at least, dont like the guy but might look better in All Red.

For maybe a couple of season but wouldn't want the club to be paying him over a 100k.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #176 on: May 17, 2014, 04:05:53 PM »
For maybe a couple of season but wouldn't want the club to be paying him over a 100k.

Agreed not a bad stop gap though.
The National Pensioners Convention (NPC) is the principal organisation representing pensioners in the United Kingdom. It is made up of around 1,000 bodies representing 1.5 million members, organised into federal regional units.
The NPC was founded by former Transport and General Workers' Union trade union leader, Jack Jones in 1979

Offline Wiss_LFC

• Believer
« Reply #177 on: May 17, 2014, 04:23:20 PM »

I would happily take Ashley Cole for a season or two, his experience in defence would do us wonders.

Cole, Flanagan, Enrique would be fantastic going in to the new season, they would all get game time to, seen as we will have so many games.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #178 on: May 17, 2014, 04:38:28 PM »
Agreed not a bad stop gap though.

Wouldn't get in the way much of one of our young full backs progressing either.

Offline rickardinho1

• Believer
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #179 on: May 17, 2014, 04:45:16 PM »
I've said it before but I think its pretty nailed on that he'll go to City. They'll be desperate to get good English players in to maximize the quality of their 8 homegrown players in the now-limited 21-man CL squad, to either replace foreign backups like Clichy or to take the place of players like Boyata who are homegrown but are only there to meet the homegrown quota.

Cole fits the bill perfectly for them, and won't eat into the £49m transfer cap City have like other good English players like Shaw, Baines, Barkley, Lallana etc would do. On the flip side they'll be happy to meet his wage demands (unlike us most likely), so its a win-win for the two parties.

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #180 on: May 17, 2014, 04:47:43 PM »
I think it could be a clever signing in that he can do a job, we can then spend the majority of our budget on attacking players and a centre back, and a young defensive midfielder for cover.we are woefully short on gamechangers last season after the first 11.we can't fix everything in 1 window.

This has been my thinking ever since I saw us linked again and now with the Shaquiri link it only makes more sense. Personally, I haven't seen a ton of Bertrand. Thought he was quite good against us for Villa, especially considering he had just joined. Fair to say, though, that the majority on here would find his signing underwhelming. The problem is, though, we do have finite resources despite everyone drooling over the new broadcast revenues. I've seen a number of "Lallana/Shaqiri/Moreno/Lovren and summer sorted!" posts over the past 12 hours. Those four would likely cost a minimum of 70m between them, plus the commensurate wages that go with a big money move. And we'd still need to sign the young holding MF of whom Brendan spoke. I'm just not sure there's the budget for that all in one summer.

Perhaps the thinking with Bertrand is to get someone in who can do a job. We're not signing 5 world beaters this summer regardless of how much we fantasize about it, so we're going to have to compromise a bit in one of the positions we're targeting and maybe that turns out to be LB. Bertrand would provide insurance if Enrique is crocked and let Flanagan move back to the right side where he's much stronger. It could be argued that it improves two positions with one underwhelming signing. It also gives us a couple years to allow Smith to develop without chucking him headfirst into a title campaign which is clearly valuable. Most relevant to the next three months, though, it wouldn't cost a wedge and, as you pointed out, would allow us to flex our new found financial muscle on game changers in the top half of the pitch. It's not sexy, but it's certainly pragmatic and you need a bit of that when constructing a squad.

Another way for folks to think about it: would you rather we sign Bertrand and Shaqiri or Moreno and compromise on an attacker? Personally, I'd prefer the former because I think a truly top class attacking player is worth more points over a season than a top drawer LB (and I'm not so sure any of the names we're linked with at LB are going to become the next Lahm).
Justice For The 96

Offline J-Mc-

• Just a wanker on a wind-up
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #181 on: May 17, 2014, 05:16:31 PM »
I can 100% guarantee that we won't sign Ashley fucking Cole, and rightfully so!

Offline rickardinho1

• Believer
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #182 on: May 17, 2014, 05:16:33 PM »
Another way for folks to think about it: would you rather we sign Bertrand and Shaqiri or Moreno and compromise on an attacker? Personally, I'd prefer the former because I think a truly top class attacking player is worth more points over a season than a top drawer LB (and I'm not so sure any of the names we're linked with at LB are going to become the next Lahm).

Some good points raised. If it Moreno was the "top left back" I'd prefer Shaqiri + Bertrand. Now if you offered me Ricardo Rodriguez + a compromise attacker I'd take the quality LB all day long. He could realistically offset some of the limitations of a lesser LW player imo, and provide more width which is arguably what we need. And crucially - in contrast to Moreno - he is very solid defensively as well.

Offline Red Cez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Stop Fucking Moaning!!!!
« Reply #183 on: May 17, 2014, 06:21:39 PM »
Seen Caner Erkin linked on a few of the shittier sites for quite a while now. Looked the business most times I've seen him.
Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.

Oscar Wilde

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • #JFT96
« Reply #184 on: May 17, 2014, 07:42:41 PM »

Devils advocate. Prices being completely wild guesses.

1) Shaqiri (15mil) + Rodriguez (23mil) = 38mil
2) Shaw (30mil) + Konoyplanka (8mil) = 38mil
3) Griezmann (25mil) + Bertrand (7mil) = 32mil

I'd go option 1 every single time as it's 2 fantastic players, and the difference in price between them and option 3 is marginal. Why do we need to compromise? We need to get the right players.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 07:44:25 PM by Draex »

Offline rickardinho1

• Believer
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #185 on: May 17, 2014, 07:47:40 PM »

1) Shaqiri (15) + Rodriguez (23) = 38mil
2) Shaw (30) + Konoyplanka (8) = 38mil
3) Griezmann (25) + Bertrand (7) = 33mil

I'd go option 1 every single time as it's 2 fantastic players, and the difference in price between them and option 3 is marginal.
I think you're underrating how much some of them will cost. Shaqiri £20m (despite the nonsensical £10m rumours), Rodriguez £25m, Shaw £32m (due to everybody and their grandmothers needing a LB), Kono £10-12m.

Of course, I'd have Rodriguez any day of the week if he was available. I think Shaqiri at £20m is also worth it.

Also, since when is 25+7=33?  ;D

Offline Number 7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • "the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing"
« Reply #186 on: May 17, 2014, 08:39:05 PM »
Let's be totally honest here Bertrand or Enrique (now he seems over his injury) for me it's a no brainier I would rather keep the cash than waste it on Bertrand, I have seen him play a few times and he's never stood out for me, love him or usually hate him I would take Ashley cole over him every day of the week.

Is Enrique really over his injury? Not many people seem to know what his injury actually is.
YWNA

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Believer
« Reply #187 on: May 17, 2014, 08:40:52 PM »
sign Filipe Luis!!!!!!!!
" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #188 on: May 17, 2014, 09:09:10 PM »

1) Shaqiri (15mil) + Rodriguez (23mil) = 38mil
2) Shaw (30mil) + Konoyplanka (8mil) = 38mil
3) Griezmann (25mil) + Bertrand (7mil) = 32mil

I'd go option 1 every single time as it's 2 fantastic players, and the difference in price between them and option 3 is marginal. Why do we need to compromise? We need to get the right players.

Because despite what people think we're not going to spend 100m gross this summer, so if we want a few 20m players (Lallana, Shaqiri, young midfielder) we're going to need to save elsewhere. I'm just not that keen on spending 20m+ on a LB. I know Rodriguez is everyone's flavour of the month right now, but I have a feeling some posters haven't actually watched as much VfL Wolfsburg as they're implying.

I think it's been proven (at least for those that pay attention) that, in general, you should spend your big money on attacking players. There's a reason Michu's name was on everyone's lips last year as the bargain of the century: he was a pretty rare exception, a cheap attacker who hit the ground running. Conversely, there are so many examples of bargain defenders littered across Europe that nobody even mentions it any more. Zabaleta, Sagna, Evra, Baines, Coleman, van der Wiel, Filipe Luis, Arbeloa (twice)...all fullbacks bought for £10m or under. Same goes for CBs: Kompany, Thiago Silva (to Milan), Pique, Hummels, Vidic, Agger, Chiellini. Obviously inflation raises some of those prices a bit, but I think the rule still holds. Spend your money at the top end of the pitch. Sure, Rodriguez may go onto be the next Lahm, but at that price that's pretty much what you'd require. Bertrand, conversely, could go onto be the next Zabaleta, but even if he just turns out to be the next Arbeloa that's fine because his purchase allows you to sign the next Suarez/Torres/Barnes.
Justice For The 96

Offline LFC UNTIL THE MANAGER IS NO LONGER DESERVING OF MY SYMPATHY

• Everyone's shit. Especially me...Yeah! LFC for Life. He takes everything up to date and on the chin.
  • Believer
« Reply #189 on: May 17, 2014, 10:12:20 PM »
I think signing a top class right back is a bigger priority than the left back.  Enrique will be back next season and although it would be good to get some competition for him, he is a very good left back when fit.

On the right, I think Johnson was really poor last season and I don't think Flanagan is good enough to be first choice.
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline electricghost

• Might haunt your wiring, but will usually stop if requested to. Lives in a spirit house in Pra Kanong.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #190 on: May 17, 2014, 10:17:07 PM »
Keep it about left backs who might sign for us, thanks
“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg

• Everyone's shit. Especially me...Yeah! LFC for Life. He takes everything up to date and on the chin.
  • Believer
« Reply #191 on: May 17, 2014, 10:20:03 PM »
Keep it about left backs who might sign for us, thanks

OK sorry.
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Believer
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
    • Some Film Reviews what I dun
« Reply #192 on: May 17, 2014, 10:20:10 PM »
I think signing a top class right back is a bigger priority than the left back.  Enrique will be back next season and although it would be good to get some competition for him, he is a very good left back when fit.

On the right, I think Johnson was really poor last season and I don't think Flanagan is good enough to be first choice.

I have heard it rumored Enrique is not coming back at all; increasingly weird no one actually knows what his injury is either.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

• Believer
« Reply #193 on: May 17, 2014, 10:23:15 PM »
I have heard it rumored Enrique is not coming back at all; increasingly weird no one actually knows what his injury is either.

He was training at the end of the season and Rodgers said he will be back next season, which will be a "big boost".
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • #JFT96
« Reply #194 on: May 17, 2014, 10:28:15 PM »
Because despite what people think we're not going to spend 100m gross this summer, so if we want a few 20m players (Lallana, Shaqiri, young midfielder) we're going to need to save elsewhere. I'm just not that keen on spending 20m+ on a LB. I know Rodriguez is everyone's flavour of the month right now, but I have a feeling some posters haven't actually watched as much VfL Wolfsburg as they're implying.

I think it's been proven (at least for those that pay attention) that, in general, you should spend your big money on attacking players. There's a reason Michu's name was on everyone's lips last year as the bargain of the century: he was a pretty rare exception, a cheap attacker who hit the ground running. Conversely, there are so many examples of bargain defenders littered across Europe that nobody even mentions it any more. Zabaleta, Sagna, Evra, Baines, Coleman, van der Wiel, Filipe Luis, Arbeloa (twice)...all fullbacks bought for £10m or under. Same goes for CBs: Kompany, Thiago Silva (to Milan), Pique, Hummels, Vidic, Agger, Chiellini. Obviously inflation raises some of those prices a bit, but I think the rule still holds. Spend your money at the top end of the pitch. Sure, Rodriguez may go onto be the next Lahm, but at that price that's pretty much what you'd require. Bertrand, conversely, could go onto be the next Zabaleta, but even if he just turns out to be the next Arbeloa that's fine because his purchase allows you to sign the next Suarez/Torres/Barnes.

Of course mate, I'd honestly like us to sign Davies from Swansea, he has all the tools to be a quality left back - he wouldn't be massively priced and that means we can spend elsewhere, if rumours are true and we get someone like Can then we'd also have excellent cover and allow Enrique to leave etc.

Offline Redric1970

• Kopite
« Reply #195 on: May 17, 2014, 11:02:59 PM »
Is Enrique really over his injury? Not many people seem to know what his injury actually is.

We can only go by what was being said by the club, and the only thing I remember reading was he was back doing light training, so I see no reason to believe he won't be available for the start of next season.

Offline Ruthless

• Wants to bed Matt Damon
  • Anny Roader
  • So heres to you Jordan Henderson!
« Reply #196 on: May 17, 2014, 11:06:32 PM »
Of course mate, I'd honestly like us to sign Davies from Swansea, he has all the tools to be a quality left back - he wouldn't be massively priced and that means we can spend elsewhere, if rumours are true and we get someone like Can then we'd also have excellent cover and allow Enrique to leave etc.
Yeah Davies from Swansea who is a lazy shite who doesn't ever run back into position and looks fucking knackered after around 75 mins of most games.

Yeah, lets sign him.
25-05-2005 - We won it for the 5th time, Coincidence? I think not. Oh and the goals? timed 54 mins, 56 mins and 59 Mins, Proof of destiny if you've ever asked for it.

Offline Crosby Wych

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Believer
« Reply #197 on: May 17, 2014, 11:07:09 PM »
sign Filipe Luis!!!!!!!!

Why would he leave Atletico for us right now, unless forced out due to financial reason?
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline turkish kopite

• Believer
  • Black&White, Believe&Fight
« Reply #198 on: May 17, 2014, 11:08:49 PM »
Caner Erkin from fenerbahçe.  He is free now. Sign with him.
"Waiting for Vodafone Arena to win League Titles"

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #199 on: May 17, 2014, 11:18:31 PM »
Caner Erkin from fenerbahçe.  He is free now. Sign with him.

Is that free in a John Inman sense or is he out of contract?