Author Topic: It's just a battle for the order of the first 4 spots now between 5 teams...  (Read 559490 times)

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Realistically, is it just a battle for 4th spot with 2 other teams now?
« Reply #680 on: February 4, 2014, 01:05:16 pm »
We have all the difficult teams at home now and easier teams away.

Does anyone other than me actually think this is worse for us.

granted we may get more points against the top teams at home but it's going to be harder getting all 3 points away against the smaller teams too, as last weekend showed.

No. It's one of the reasons i think we'll be pipped by Spurs for 4th. Rodgers has done a great job since taking over at getting results at home against lesser opponents. Unfortunately we've already had most of our 'home bankers'. There's not many easy games left at Anfield to rack up points to help hold our position whilst points are potentially getting dropped on the road.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #681 on: February 4, 2014, 01:13:13 pm »
aim for the 1st and you'll finish 4th... aim for 4th and you'll probably finish 7th

It doesn't work like that.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline adamski

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #682 on: February 4, 2014, 01:24:21 pm »
I'm comfortable if either Sakho or Agger are back in the team.  The fact we've achieved what we have with the current back 4 is a miracle - a clean sheet against Everton - literally a miracle.  Our luck ran out on Sunday with the Kolo mistake. 

If we can keep a decent back 4 fit, I think we can push on and get 4th. 

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #683 on: February 4, 2014, 01:45:45 pm »
No. It's one of the reasons i think we'll be pipped by Spurs for 4th. Rodgers has done a great job since taking over at getting results at home against lesser opponents. Unfortunately we've already had most of our 'home bankers'. There's not many easy games left at Anfield to rack up points to help hold our position whilst points are potentially getting dropped on the road.

Well it's only been this season we've had these, but I do agree. I don't think the fixtures are great at all when you think about it. We have to improve away from home against these sides we've battered at Anfield
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #684 on: February 4, 2014, 01:55:15 pm »
Our luck ran out on Sunday with the Kolo mistake.
That was just so catastrophic in terms of flushing the points already sitting safe in our hands right down the shitter, I'm hoping we've now paid our Luck Tax for the timebeing, and can start benefitting from some proper freaky good fortune over the next fixtures. But I fear...
It doesn't work like that.

We just have to get on with it come what may, grind out them results. I reckon ~79 points cements 4th, the way things are going; I'm not so sure we can cling to that trusty old magic 76 mark this season. And that is a tough ask, make no bones about it.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #685 on: February 4, 2014, 01:58:24 pm »
aim for the 1st and you'll finish 4th... aim for 4th and you'll probably finish 7th

Yeah, if we aim for 200pts, we should end up getting like 150pts somehow, is that right?

Wasn't there a study that proved that completely over the top estimations actually makes things worse? It puts impossible pressure on people unable to achieve the desired results in the first place.

Offline Ed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #686 on: February 4, 2014, 02:16:51 pm »
Personally, I think it's great that some are feeling disappointed about us being "only just" in a battle for 4th and not the League itself. Just think back to where we were this time last year, or the year before.

We are playing some great football, with a couple of red hot strikers who make scoring goals look easy. Sure we make mistakes, but which team doesn't? Off-the-pitch, the Anfield redevelopment plans appear to be making some headway at last, and once our expanded stadium is sorted, it will give us the funds to consistently challenge for honours. 

Whatever position we end up this season, I'm optimistic so long as our Manager and Owners don't change. Just enjoying the ride!

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #687 on: February 4, 2014, 02:23:35 pm »
The Fulham game will be the juncture at which I truly decide for myself if we've properly got this fight to the death in us. Anything less than 3 points from the worst form team in the league, and that will crush all my hope right into a tiny scrunched up polystyrene ball. A convincing, efficient win though, and that's a potentially awkward job well done, bit of momentum starting again. Game by game it has to be, and bring some fresh keks.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #688 on: February 4, 2014, 03:15:04 pm »
That was just so catastrophic in terms of flushing the points already sitting safe in our hands right down the shitter, I'm hoping we've now paid our Luck Tax for the timebeing, and can start benefitting from some proper freaky good fortune over the next fixtures. But I fear...

We just have to get on with it come what may, grind out them results. I reckon ~79 points cements 4th, the way things are going; I'm not so sure we can cling to that trusty old magic 76 mark this season. And that is a tough ask, make no bones about it.

79 points?

United would need to win 13 out of 14 games to reach 79 points. Spurs would need 11 wins and two draws. Everton would need 11+1, or 10+4. None of those things are likely to happen, at all. In particular, I wouldn't put money on United breaking 70.

Given that all of the teams in the chase have dropped points here and there in recent weeks - and none seem to be clearly on the cusp of an outstanding run of form - I think the points cutoff for 4th is falling rather than rising, but will probably end up where it usually does - 71 to 74 points or so, should be enough. Clearly the more we have, the better.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #689 on: February 4, 2014, 03:18:23 pm »
^ I think somewhere around about 78/79 cements it, as in no one else could realistically get close. I can see 76 being tight though.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #690 on: February 4, 2014, 03:21:38 pm »
Yeah, if we aim for 200pts, we should end up getting like 150pts somehow, is that right?

Wasn't there a study that proved that completely over the top estimations actually makes things worse? It puts impossible pressure on people unable to achieve the desired results in the first place.
Depends on your mental strength. Maradona wasn't fussed about carrying Napoli.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #691 on: February 4, 2014, 03:25:46 pm »
^ I think somewhere around about 78/79 cements it, as in no one else could realistically get close. I can see 76 being tight though.

Ah, ok. I think if we break 75, we'll finish no worse than 4th, as that's the very best I can see Everton or Spurs managing (and our GD is worth a point).

Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline lapapa

• Anny Roader
« Reply #692 on: February 4, 2014, 03:27:06 pm »
Yes, if we keep dropping points pointlessly...  ::)

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #693 on: February 4, 2014, 03:32:41 pm »
ONE GAME AT A TIME!

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #694 on: February 4, 2014, 03:37:36 pm »
Ah, ok. I think if we break 75, we'll finish no worse than 4th, as that's the very best I can see Everton or Spurs managing (and our GD is worth a point).
I really, really hope you're right! ;D

It's our upcoming away days that have me quivering in my booties to be honest, 'cause I'm confident we can keep reaping a good harvest at Anfield given what I've seen throughout this term. Our away form is a bit shit when put beside Spurs and Everton (of course, it matters most who they're playing).

I hope Fortress Anfield does become a real thing again under Rodgers, mind. Doing okay to fairly decent away from home, but being nigh on unstoppable on our own doorstep... that'll do me. ;)
« Last Edit: February 4, 2014, 03:41:04 pm by Haemoglobin »

Offline KennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #695 on: February 4, 2014, 03:38:05 pm »

granted we may get more points against the top teams at home but it's going to be harder getting all 3 points away against the smaller teams too, as last weekend showed.

It's been a worry for me for ages and I have posted about it on numerous occasions.

I'd much rather we had 7 home bankers left and a few games were we could relax and go for it and nothing was expected.

We're about to find out we're we are but I'm looking forward to it now.

Offline Chavvie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #696 on: February 4, 2014, 03:38:39 pm »

A season long return of 2 points per game and it will still be tight for forth place? Madness.

I think 72 will get it. Apart from last season 5th place has been under 70, even 4th place has been under 70 a couple of times recently. There is no way we'll need to get 76 points to secure 4th. We may well get that much anyway if we can keep it together but that will see us finish closer to 3rd than 5th.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #697 on: February 4, 2014, 03:42:50 pm »
^ We'll have to see, I think some sides are saving their best till last. We're pretty much at 2 ppg now, and we're not streets ahead of the pack.

Offline Chavvie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #698 on: February 4, 2014, 03:49:51 pm »
^ We'll have to see, I think some sides are saving their best till last. We're pretty much at 2 ppg now, and we're not streets ahead of the pack.

As squads get stretched they will drop more points, they're not going to improve their return. The bigger squads start pulling away because of it.

We have to beat Everton, Spurs and United to get 4th.

Everton have a small squad and some key injuries at the moment
Spurs have a new manager with dubious tactical skills and Europe to contend with
United - ditto Spurs with the added bonus they've got David Moyes.

I expect them all to at best maintain their form, most likely drop away. So, if we can maintain ours with the aid of more recovery time in between, it'll be quite possible

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #699 on: February 4, 2014, 03:57:34 pm »
I think I might be being very cautious, because although it would take something mammoth from Utd to get right back in there, I'm wary of ever writing them off outside the last 9 or so games.

Everton, they'll be trying to manage shit much as we are, minus the properly good players of course.  ;D

I've got to say, the sooner Spurs fall away as everyone's saying they will, the more relaxed I'll be. Sometimes shit managers get the important results regardless, if their players switch on to it. I want us putting clear daylight between ourselves and all them, as soon as possible.

Offline gallden

• bols
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #700 on: February 4, 2014, 04:01:36 pm »
You just know that we'll finish fourth with the Mancs (red ones) finishing 6th or something, but they'll fluke the champions league.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #701 on: February 4, 2014, 04:03:47 pm »
As squads get stretched they will drop more points, they're not going to improve their return. The bigger squads start pulling away because of it.

We have to beat Everton, Spurs and United to get 4th.

Everton have a small squad and some key injuries at the moment
Spurs have a new manager with dubious tactical skills and Europe to contend with
United - ditto Spurs with the added bonus they've got David Moyes.

I expect them all to at best maintain their form, most likely drop away. So, if we can maintain ours with the aid of more recovery time in between, it'll be quite possible

I agree more or less, but it's within reasonable realms of possibility that Spurs or Everton could get ~30 points from their remaining 14 games. Going on a good run, of course, is a given :).

I think I might be being very cautious, because although it would take something mammoth from Utd to get right back in there, I'm wary of ever writing them off outside the last 9 or so games.

Everton, they'll be trying to manage shit much as we are, minus the properly good players of course.  ;D

I've got to say, the sooner Spurs fall away as everyone's saying they will, the more relaxed I'll be. Sometimes shit managers get the important results regardless, if their players switch on to it. I want us putting clear daylight between ourselves and all them, as soon as possible.

I agree with that. Despite Sherwood as manager, Spurs have *some* players that if they hit form (trying to cement World Cup places, for example), they might put together a good run. Still, I can't see that good run breaking 75 points at best (worst, for us).

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #702 on: February 4, 2014, 04:06:13 pm »
You just know that we'll finish fourth with the Mancs (red ones) finishing 6th or something, but they'll fluke the champions league.

The idea of Moyes winning the Champions League is... mind blowing, but it's not beyond imagination that they'll get lucky with other good teams knocking out each other and limp through to the final, with a few top players focusing their efforts on the competition. Another reason for us to just focus on as many points as possible; while the title may be highly unlikely, there's a reasonable chance that one of the top three is going to have a slump.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #703 on: February 4, 2014, 04:13:30 pm »
If the mancs win the CL and get in next season at our expense, we'll just have to go and win the EL.  That will get us a spot in the CL.  ;D

Offline simply_red

• Holding back the tears. Of negativity. Utter negativity.
  • Kopite
« Reply #704 on: February 4, 2014, 04:17:20 pm »

This is worse for us indeed.

We were unlucky when we played the top 3 this season and against shite teams we 'made our bad luck'.

It was always the same.
kopblocks.com

FSG out.

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #705 on: February 4, 2014, 04:17:54 pm »
Seeing as our away performances and results are the reason we aren't in direct title talk as opposed to top 4 talk...I was wondering how many points do people expect from our remaining 7 away games ?

@ Fulham
@ Southampton
@ Man Utd
@ Cardiff
@ West Ham
@ Norwich
@ Palace

I was thinking, absolute minimum of 12, in shape of 3 wins, 3 draws, and 1 loss. On paper, we should be looking at getting a hell lot more than 12 points from these games though, but our away performances/results so far doesn't exactly fill me in with confidence.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #706 on: February 4, 2014, 04:21:36 pm »
Seeing as our away performances and results are the reason we aren't in direct title talk as opposed to top 4 talk...I was wondering how many points do people expect from our remaining 7 away games ?

@ Fulham
@ Southampton
@ Man Utd
@ Cardiff
@ West Ham
@ Norwich
@ Palace

I was thinking, absolute minimum of 12, in shape of 3 wins, 3 draws, and 1 loss. On paper, we should be looking at getting a hell lot more than 12 points from these games though, but our away performances/results so far doesn't exactly fill me in with confidence.

Id expect three wins minimum at Fulham, Norwich and Palace.  I'd hope we knock 4 in at OT too.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #707 on: February 4, 2014, 04:31:32 pm »

Get 78 -79 points and I'd be amazed if we didn't come 4th. Reckon that could be close to getting 3rd.

I think 76 points will almost guarantee 4th place. I can see 72-74 points being enough this season. I think 4th will end up with less points than some other seasons but I'd bet that 6th and 7th end up with a lot more points than in previous seasons.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #708 on: February 4, 2014, 04:33:05 pm »
I was wondering how many points do people expect from our remaining 7 away games ?

@ Fulham
@ Southampton
@ Man Utd
@ Cardiff
@ West Ham
@ Norwich
@ Palace

21. :)

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #709 on: February 4, 2014, 04:34:45 pm »

@ Fulham
@ Southampton
@ Man Utd
@ Cardiff
@ West Ham
@ Norwich
@ Palace

Realistically we should beat Fulham, Southhampton, Cardiff, West Ham, Norwich and Palace. The mancs have Rooney, Mata and RVP back (yes I know it didn't help against Stoke)  its at the Toilet and they will be up for it, so I see a draw there.

Online Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #710 on: February 4, 2014, 04:37:55 pm »
The idea of Moyes winning the Champions League is... mind blowing, but it's not beyond imagination that they'll get lucky with other good teams knocking out each other and limp through to the final, with a few top players focusing their efforts on the competition. Another reason for us to just focus on as many points as possible; while the title may be highly unlikely, there's a reasonable chance that one of the top three is going to have a slump.

manchester united wont get past the next round
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline jordyball10

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #711 on: February 4, 2014, 04:39:52 pm »
Does anyone think our transfer window will be much different if we make Champions League?

Offline simply_red

• Holding back the tears. Of negativity. Utter negativity.
  • Kopite
« Reply #712 on: February 4, 2014, 04:43:01 pm »
Does anyone think our transfer window will be much different if we make Champions League?

Will be different but not much different although it should be something spectacular otherwise we will get knocked out in the qualifying stage.
kopblocks.com

FSG out.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #713 on: February 4, 2014, 04:43:21 pm »
all this title talk is wishful thinking...NAiled on for forth i read somewhere too? Thats complacency right there! We are in no way nailed on for fourth place.At all.We have a battle on our hands to secure fourth.if we do that its beena  great season.
This. THIS!

Oddly constructed sentence aside, you've got it nailed down to a tee.

We aren't guaranteed 4th at all. Just because we're Liverpool? We need 4th. I think this'll be our best chance to do so and if we do, we can kick on. We aren't going to win the league but CL qualification would mean extra funds, GAMES ON A WEDNESDAY NIGHT and better players than what we've previously bought.

Offline Qcase1977

• Kopite
« Reply #714 on: February 4, 2014, 04:43:44 pm »

Oh sweet jesus I hope its different.

Offline jordyball10

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #715 on: February 4, 2014, 04:44:16 pm »
Will be different but not much different although it should be something spectacular otherwise we will get knocked out in the qualifying stage.

Agree, i wonder if we have different players in mind depending if we make champs league or not

Offline Qcase1977

• Kopite
« Reply #716 on: February 4, 2014, 04:46:12 pm »
This. THIS!

Oddly constructed sentence aside, you've got it nailed down to a tee.

We aren't guaranteed 4th at all. Just because we're Liverpool? We need 4th. I think this'll be our best chance to do so and if we do, we can kick on. We aren't going to win the league but CL qualification would mean extra funds, GAMES ON A WEDNESDAY NIGHT and better players than what we've previously bought.

I agree with you really. Some posts have essentially said that because we are 3 points ahead of Spurs they are out of the race for 4th. Its a nonsense. Can see it going down to the last 2 games of the season.

Offline timmyonions

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
    • timmyonions@gmail.com
« Reply #717 on: February 4, 2014, 04:46:39 pm »
Realistically we should beat Fulham, Southhampton, Cardiff, West Ham, Norwich and Palace. The mancs have Rooney, Mata and RVP back (yes I know it didn't help against Stoke)  its at the Toilet and they will be up for it, so I see a draw there.

I think we honestly have more of a chance of beating the mancs than Southampton.They`re all very winable fixtures but as we all know,circumstances aren`t always the same so we`ll have to ride along and see what happens.
That right peg hits it and you see the future arc of the ball and time goes al gluey like a Dali painting, and for a second there's a 20yr old StevenGerrard and your young self cheering him on through the prism. His big smile fades in an the net is shivering and J.Hart's trying not to look grateful for the privilege of being that close to greatness

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #718 on: February 4, 2014, 04:46:55 pm »
Its not do bad for us fans the think 4th is nailed on, but the players would  never feel that, why would they?  people including me  are forgetting what  a big achievent 4th spot would be...
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #719 on: February 4, 2014, 04:47:22 pm »

Hopefully it will have a major difference, in that Suarez will stay. If he goes, our transfer window goes Brewsters Millions