Author Topic: Steven George Gerrard of Liverpool and no longer England  (Read 658857 times)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Steven George 'James Bond' Gerrard
« Reply #5680 on: May 18, 2014, 01:34:34 am »
holy grail for a footballer is the world cup.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #5681 on: May 18, 2014, 03:06:13 am »
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline pudgethemidget

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5682 on: May 18, 2014, 05:05:48 am »
The Ewing comparison is daft, but so is chastising the use of the word soccer. I suppose Calcio is incorrect too.  :P

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #5683 on: May 18, 2014, 07:20:39 am »
Anyone know if he's gonna retire from england after this campaign?
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline tacklemyballs

• Lives on a diet of faeces.
  • Kopite
  • Peace and Love
« Reply #5684 on: May 18, 2014, 08:06:40 am »

Anyone know if he's gonna retire from england after this campaign?

His wife?
"Sometimes you have to play in a position that you may not feel is your best."

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #5685 on: May 18, 2014, 08:13:05 am »
His wife?

Where can I find her? I need this information for my research paper that is due midnight.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline Wernerred

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5686 on: May 18, 2014, 12:22:49 pm »
You haven't put much thought behind that, have you?

European Cup Winner. Remember that.

A league winners medal doesn't even hold a candle to an European Cup. Let's get that straight. Any aspiring footballer has that down as his holy grail - to pick the European Cup. If they do, they've made it.

And it's football not soccer.

So does not the Larry O'Brien Championship Trophy to Olympics. But I bet they would swap their CL/Olympic gold medals for the league title if offered. Wasnīt meant to be a criticizm of Gerrard anyway. I still believe heīll win the PL. Well, some people are just a bit touchy when talking about Stevieīs failure to win the thing, especially after whatīd happened this season.

Offline 00jebus

• Kopite
« Reply #5687 on: May 18, 2014, 02:09:21 pm »
The Ewing comparison is daft, but so is chastising the use of the word soccer. I suppose Calcio is incorrect too.  :P

Incorrect, "soccer" was only ever a regional nickname, invented by a telegraph (iirc) journo to avoid confusion with "rugger" in the early 1900's, in case nobody noticed, the south east and the journo's of a posh paper are not responsible for the growth of football (indeed, at that time, it preferred rugby).  Today it's used today for marketing purposes for football at an amateur level (and I defy anyone to tell me that soccer Am isn't an amateur production.) and not the sport in any serious or professional way, and even then its called football, the style "soccer player" "good soccer" etc are just never used.

Calcio would be incorrect if the Italians spoke English, since they have their own language and make no claims about it being the correct wording in the English speaking world, its a perfectly acceptable for Italian to make up its own name.

Who is Ewing? I don't get any comparison to Gerrard....

Offline pudgethemidget

• Kopite
« Reply #5688 on: May 18, 2014, 02:12:19 pm »
Incorrect, "soccer" was only ever a regional nickname, invented by a telegraph (iirc) journo to avoid confusion with "rugger" in the early 1900's, in case nobody noticed, the south east and the journo's of a posh paper are not responsible for the growth of football (indeed, at that time, it preferred rugby).  Today it's used today for marketing purposes for football at an amateur level (and I defy anyone to tell me that soccer Am isn't an amateur production.) and not the sport in any serious or professional way, and even then its called football, the style "soccer player" "good soccer" etc are just never used.

Calcio would be incorrect if the Italians spoke English, since they have their own language and make no claims about it being the correct wording in the English speaking world, its a perfectly acceptable for Italian to make up its own name.

Who is Ewing? I don't get any comparison to Gerrard....

Soccer was shorthand for Association Football. It's correct to use soccer, football, Calcio; they all mean the same thing.

If you came to America and called what we know as an elevator, a lift- I'm not going to sit here and tell you that you're wrong.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 02:19:54 pm by pudgethemidget »

Offline Hayer

• World Class Whinger. Sorry, winger.....or was I right the first time.....?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5689 on: May 18, 2014, 02:15:46 pm »
Well, some people are just a bit touchy when talking about Stevieīs failure to win the thing, especially after whatīd happened this season.

Why mock your own though?

He wouldn't swap his CL medal for a PL trophy. Don't be so stupid. Are you aware of what the CL is? Crazy statement.

Offline 00jebus

• Kopite
« Reply #5690 on: May 18, 2014, 02:24:49 pm »
Soccer was shorthand for Association Football. It's correct to use soccer, football, Calcio; they all mean the same thing.

If you came to American and called what we know as an elevator, a lift- I'm not going to sit here and tell you that you're wrong.

You support an English club (well, scouse but we won't get into that) and follow an english league, you use the word "soccer" when referring to football then you will get some gentle correction, since no club in England is a "soccer club" and no league is a "soccer league" it just isn't used here, all clubs are football clubs, thats why FC means, so the clue is in the title.

What you call it amongst other Americans is your business, and I've yet to meet an Italian that used the word Calcio when talking in English, but since you do support an English club in an English league and this site has more English posters than American and a lot of mixed company from other nationalities, then you really should use football, its only polite.

Offline Hayer

• World Class Whinger. Sorry, winger.....or was I right the first time.....?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5691 on: May 18, 2014, 02:26:16 pm »
Is that the view in America then? That the 'EPL League' is bigger than the CL?

Haha fucks sake.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline pudgethemidget

• Kopite
« Reply #5693 on: May 18, 2014, 02:29:13 pm »
You support an English club (well, scouse but we won't get into that) and follow an english league, you use the word "soccer" when referring to football then you will get some gentle correction, since no club in England is a "soccer club" and no league is a "soccer league" it just isn't used here, all clubs are football clubs, thats why FC means, so the clue is in the title.

What you call it amongst other Americans is your business, and I've yet to meet an Italian that used the word Calcio when talking in English, but since you do support an English club in an English league and this site has more English posters than American and a lot of mixed company from other nationalities, then you really should use football, its only polite.

You're saying that using a synonym for the word football isn't polite?

You call it football, I also call it football just because it rolls off the tongue better.  To call using soccer incorrect and impolite simply because you know it as something else, though? That's lunacy and I'd hate to live in any land you might ever lead.

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #5694 on: May 18, 2014, 02:34:17 pm »

It probably is, but the pinnacle of football, in terms of a high level of play, is the Champions League.
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #5695 on: May 18, 2014, 02:35:29 pm »
It probably is, but the pinnacle of football, in terms of a high level of play, is the Champions League.
That is what a non-player thinks.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5696 on: May 18, 2014, 02:37:17 pm »
Thank God.

http://www.ftbpro.com/posts/ashley.whiteway/947382/steven-gerrard-to-call-time-on-his-international-career-after-world-cup?app=1&ref=Android&utm_source=app&utm_medium=feed
Emphasis on the ''Reports the Daily Mail''.

If England have a good tournament, I cant imagine him not wanting to carry on. He said something to Carra about playing until his legs cant take it anymore and considering how much he loves being captain for his country, i would think that he would want to do both for as long as possible.

Offline 00jebus

• Kopite
« Reply #5697 on: May 18, 2014, 02:39:02 pm »
You're saying that using a synonym for the word football isn't polite?

You call it football, I also call it football just because it rolls off the tongue better.  To call using soccer incorrect and impolite simply because you know it as something else, though? That's lunacy and I'd hate to live in any land you might ever lead.

Your claiming a nickname from the early 1900's and a section of the country that didn't take the game seriously, is correct, which it may well be in the US, but your not just talking to Americans, and your not talking about an American club (sorry, you'd probably insist its a franchise) and arguing with people who point this out?

*raises quizzical eyebrow*

Anyway, back to topic, as this really isn't the thread for it,
Thank God.

http://www.ftbpro.com/posts/ashley.whiteway/947382/steven-gerrard-to-call-time-on-his-international-career-after-world-cup?app=1&ref=Android&utm_source=app&utm_medium=feed

About damn time!

Offline pudgethemidget

• Kopite
« Reply #5698 on: May 18, 2014, 02:47:53 pm »
Your claiming a nickname from the early 1900's and a section of the country that didn't take the game seriously, is correct, which it may well be in the US, but your not just talking to Americans, and your not talking about an American club (sorry, you'd probably insist its a franchise) and arguing with people who point this out?

*raises quizzical eyebrow*

Anyway, back to topic, as this really isn't the thread for it,
About damn time!

Stop using your instead of you're, it's impolite.

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #5699 on: May 18, 2014, 03:29:37 pm »
That is what a non-player thinks.

I'm not sure what that means. It's what's basically a fact. You have some of the best assembled sides, on par with the best national sides at least, and many of them; in a tournament where they're much better attuned to each other through playing with each other and training with each other all the time. Whereas even the best national teams will only meet together a handful of times a year. If you've had a long and successful national team career, you'll have around 100 caps - that's basically 2 season's worth of games at a top club.

The reason the World Cup is so big is because of its carrying prestige and that because it is a heightened event because of how uncommon it is. Ultimately, it's a 7 game tournament - and that's if you're the winner.
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline Fowllah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • What the fuck was I thinking with this pseudo?
« Reply #5700 on: May 18, 2014, 04:26:47 pm »
Emphasis on the ''Reports the Daily Mail''.

If England have a good tournament, I cant imagine him not wanting to carry on. He said something to Carra about playing until his legs cant take it anymore and considering how much he loves being captain for his country, i would think that he would want to do both for as long as possible.

But the question is, can he carry on doing both at a high level. needs to decrease his workload, I'd say.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5701 on: May 18, 2014, 05:08:41 pm »

Only if you value your national team more than your club. For any player that values their club more than their national team, the Champions League final is the pinnacle of football.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5702 on: May 18, 2014, 05:31:45 pm »

I don't think it's as objective as that. Maybe for more patriotic players, particularly south Americans, but I reckon if you asked Carragher for example, he'd have picked CL or league anytime, and I reckon Gerrard would too
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5703 on: May 18, 2014, 07:07:13 pm »
I don't think it's as objective as that. Maybe for more patriotic players, particularly south Americans, but I reckon if you asked Carragher for example, he'd have picked CL or league anytime, and I reckon Gerrard would too

Wasn't it Carragher who said something to the effect that when he was missing a penalty for England in the World Cup finals, he was thinking, "atleast it's not for Liverpool".

Champions League is the highest level of football in the world. It has the best players, coaches and tactics in football. But of course, the World Cup is great.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #5704 on: May 18, 2014, 07:21:35 pm »
Wasn't it Carragher who said something to the effect that when he was missing a penalty for England in the World Cup finals, he was thinking, "atleast it's not for Liverpool".

Champions League is the highest level of football in the world. It has the best players, coaches and tactics in football. But of course, the World Cup is great.
It was also Carragher who said something along the lines of  - he enjoyed and looked back on more with a sense of joy, the 5 trophies in 12 months, than he did wining the European Cup?... Obviously RAWK went immediately to defcon 5 as that was an obvious slate at Benitez, but an opinions still stands, regardless.

Its all abar the individuals own preference, not what you or I suppose is what a professional footballer should be prioritising. The national team carries more weight in Uruguay than any club side, does Suarez think winning a WC with Uruguay is less than winning the European Cup with Liverpool?....I suppose you'll just have to ask him and respect his decision on it.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Wernerred

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5705 on: May 19, 2014, 02:21:32 am »
Why mock your own though?

He wouldn't swap his CL medal for a PL trophy. Don't be so stupid. Are you aware of what the CL is? Crazy statement.

No mocking mate. I adore Gerrard and Ewing for what theyīve done for sport.

Shankly would disagree but I like beaten finalists as much as the winners. Stevie has done his best but the team/club isnīt good enough to make it happen yet. Better luck next year. As for now, the comparison with Patrick is more reasonable than stupid.

If Stevie had 2 CL medals he would swap one for the league title without a doubt. So would Ewing one of his two Olympic golds for the NBA ring.

And make no mistake Hayer mate, Iīm aware of CL prestige. My local Spartak team, a town of 60k population, almost knocked out famous Ajax in the semifinals of European Cup in ī70.

Cruyff was almost beaten. He actually asked to be replaced before half time and he did that. So hard it was to play in Czechoslovakia those years. And I bet my bottom dollar that people of Trnava would not swap those 5 league titles in 6 years for the European Cup. Steven badly needs a league title. Hope its next season. He deserves one. Like Aloysius.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 02:40:23 am by Wernerred »

Offline reds88

• Kopite
« Reply #5706 on: May 19, 2014, 04:42:13 am »
We have got to make this happen for Stevie next season. Seeing him doing that lap of honour was heartbraking. :( I just hope FSG aren't just content with 'doing an Arsenal' and qualifying for the CL. I hope they show much more ambition and back the manager all the way and give him the money to bring in some real top quality players to add to what we've already got. Giving us the chance to challenge for the title again next season.

Absolutely.  Really gutted for him. 

Offline Wernerred

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5707 on: May 19, 2014, 04:53:39 am »
I just hope FSG aren't just content with 'doing an Arsenal' and qualifying for the CL.

The very first thing they did was to adopt an Arsenal model. Itīs worrying.

Offline Oside Red

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5708 on: May 19, 2014, 04:57:38 am »
I hope everyone doesn't think all Americans are that ignorant.

Karl Malone or Charles Barkley would've been FAR better examples. :)

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #5709 on: May 19, 2014, 06:04:57 am »

I think they admire the way Arsenal are run, but we haven't exactly been a carbon copy of how they do things so far. If we had, we'd of sold Luis last summer for starters.

Offline Crackerjack Sam

• Legacy Fan
  • Egyptian Magician
« Reply #5710 on: May 19, 2014, 06:16:51 am »
I think they admire the way Arsenal are run, but we haven't exactly been a carbon copy of how they do things so far. If we had, we'd of sold Luis last summer for starters.
THIS
PSN ID - hajme1   
Sticking to RAWK I am.  Real forum, real mods, real fans, fair and unbiased opinions etc..etc.. 8)

Offline jameshay

• Kopite
« Reply #5711 on: May 19, 2014, 06:39:54 am »
Going to start calling it soccer more often as it seems to have a worrying affect on some posters.

One of the previous posts read like something a ukip candidate might say.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 06:50:37 am by jameshay »
poetry in motion

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #5712 on: May 19, 2014, 06:42:33 am »
I hope everyone doesn't think all Americans are that ignorant.
Karl Malone or Charles Barkley would've been FAR better examples. :)
How could you mention the Mailman without John?!
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #5713 on: May 19, 2014, 07:35:31 am »

Us outspending Arsenal during the time they have owned us, while actually making losses suggest otherwise, as does us retaining Suarez and giving him a contract bigger than what any player has at Arsenal.

Arsenal don't have a half bad model mind. All they've needed is to supplement the Wilshere's and Ramsey's is to buy the right 15 m pound players. Less Giroud's more Cazorla's and for Wenger to be less stubborn. If they'd brought in a proper CM to cover for Ramsey's injury instead of an already injured Kallstrom and had a striker like, even Remy to compete with Giroud, they'd have been in the mix till the end.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #5714 on: May 19, 2014, 01:34:51 pm »
We have got to make this happen for Stevie next season. Seeing him doing that lap of honour was heartbraking. :( I just hope FSG aren't just content with 'doing an Arsenal' and qualifying for the CL. I hope they show much more ambition and back the manager all the way and give him the money to bring in some real top quality players to add to what we've already got. Giving us the chance to challenge for the title again next season.

I am confident that the Boston Redsox Model is stronger than the Arsenal Model. Their first reaction to Kenny's successful 1/2 season was to give him money to go further. That is not the Arsenal Model. The Anfield development rather than a new stadium is the Redsox Model.

I think Stevie shpuld look to the next two seasons with optimism.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #5715 on: May 19, 2014, 01:56:09 pm »
Calling out someone for using Soccer instead of Football is just as easy as passing gas and is just plain boring to read. I come to these threads to read intelligent comments by folks who love LFC, not politically-correct snideness.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #5716 on: May 19, 2014, 07:05:43 pm »
I am confident that the Boston Redsox Model is stronger than the Arsenal Model. Their first reaction to Kenny's successful 1/2 season was to give him money to go further. That is not the Arsenal Model. The Anfield development rather than a new stadium is the Redsox Model.

I think Stevie shpuld look to the next two seasons with optimism.

I never said they're copying the Arsenal model. I merely said I hope they aren't content with 'doing an Arsenal'. Meaning I hope they aren't happy with just finishing in the top 4 every season.

Anyway this has gone off topic.

I hope with this being Stevies  last World Cup, it's a memorable one for him in a positive way. And I hope he remains fit and raring to go for the start of the new season, along with the rest of the Liverpool lads away at the World Cup. :)

Offline OzBomber

• Favourite manager Tommy Tootchel favourite Player Naby 'lid' Kyta
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5717 on: May 20, 2014, 05:12:39 am »
Reading Gerrard's autobiography right now and got up to the Instanbul chapter and a certain line stuck out.

Ended up going 3-0 40 minutes later, surely that was a sign never to use the same line again? :P

Offline long.

• Anny Roader
  • He shoots... he SCORES!
« Reply #5718 on: May 21, 2014, 02:43:26 pm »
anyone seen Stevies new warrior boots at england training... utterly terrible! its like a delirious dalmation pattern! first ive seen him without adidas too

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5719 on: May 21, 2014, 02:50:30 pm »
anyone seen Stevies new warrior boots at england training... utterly terrible! its like a delirious dalmation pattern! first ive seen him without adidas too

They're adidas mate. Few other players wearing them

Horrible like

« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 02:53:08 pm by Bakez0151 »