Author Topic: Raheem Shaquille Sterling  (Read 679944 times)

Offline Aaron Rattray1

• Almost a new record in rEceiving the pOsting bEfore tHinking aWard. needs to get a shift on.
  • Anny Roader
  • Grimsby town and Liverpool fan
Re: Raheem Sterling
« Reply #680 on: December 5, 2013, 07:57:33 am »
Nah, soz, but opinions can be wrong and they're definitely not all equal in worth.
only if they can be proved as wrong

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #681 on: December 5, 2013, 08:01:28 am »
Point taken - you going to get behind the lad then? Genuine question... because a handful of pages back he was to be sold, now he's scored he's a hero...

Who says I'm not behind the lad ? Or for that matter anyone isn't ?

I'm sure we all jumped up and celebrated his goal irrespective of what we made of his performance or what we make of his potential ability.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #682 on: December 5, 2013, 08:03:32 am »
Alberto has done nothing when he's been on the pitch in the last two games to say "pick me over Sterling". Fucking hell, I know he's exactly the sort of player everyone wants to love, but you wouldn't have noticed he'd come on in either game.

How many minutes has Alberto played when compared to Sterling ?

Also, what you are suggesting seems to me like a form of meritocracy something that I think we both agree can only be applied to a certain extent in football.

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #683 on: December 5, 2013, 08:09:19 am »
How many minutes has Alberto played when compared to Sterling ?

Also, what you are suggesting seems to me like a form of meritocracy something that I think we both agree can only be applied to a certain extent in football.

But it's how Rodgers has operated with so far. I don't like it, because I think it keeps bad players in the team until they cost us (and long after for some of them, for whatever reason), but that's what he does, so it's not surprising that he's done it here.

He's got more minutes than Alberto, but then he's been better when he's had them. Alberto has done the sum total of nothing. Granted, not in a lot of time, but still nothing. They both started the Notts County game, Sterling scored and was pretty good all round, Alberto was invisible. Puts Sterling ahead of him early doors and from there Alberto hasn't done anything to suggest he should be getting those minutes instead. Sterling's got 4 starts this year. He's got two goals and won a penalty in those. I'm not sure Alberto has even created a single chance - maybe one at the end of the Palace game. Keeping the ball in a dead game and generally looking nice isn't a reason to put him ahead of Sterling.

To answer the question though:

Alberto's played 191 minutes of first-team football this season.
Sterling's played 505 minutes of first-team football this season.
« Last Edit: December 5, 2013, 08:11:55 am by Juan Llawen »
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Snusmumriken

• Kopite
  • Don't believe everything you think
« Reply #684 on: December 5, 2013, 08:19:32 am »
I hope that goal makes him find his feet. Sure he was better than he was on Sunday, but that doesn't say alot. Too many times he became the stop block of some swift passing combinations, also he still likes to try to run through players a bit too much. Well taken goal tho!

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #685 on: December 5, 2013, 08:32:23 am »

I'm sure we all jumped up and celebrated his goal irrespective of what we made of his performance or what we make of his potential ability.

"we all" - sure we did lad, read back a few pages and see the hypocrosy.... i cant be arsed to read through your posting history, maybe you were one giving the kid a break or not, i dunno...

But wind your neck in, i'm saying 'lets get behind the lad' - if you arguing it's because of me, and not that point... so ignore me and accept the point yeah?
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #686 on: December 5, 2013, 08:36:10 am »

You have stated he is overrated and lacks technical ability that should already be there. Said he's a pace merchant who got figured out.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #687 on: December 5, 2013, 08:38:16 am »
But it's how Rodgers has operated with so far. I don't like it, because I think it keeps bad players in the team until they cost us (and long after for some of them, for whatever reason), but that's what he does, so it's not surprising that he's done it here.

He's got more minutes than Alberto, but then he's been better when he's had them. Alberto has done the sum total of nothing. Granted, not in a lot of time, but still nothing. They both started the Notts County game, Sterling scored and was pretty good all round, Alberto was invisible. Puts Sterling ahead of him early doors and from there Alberto hasn't done anything to suggest he should be getting those minutes instead. Sterling's got 4 starts this year. He's got two goals and won a penalty in those. I'm not sure Alberto has even created a single chance - maybe one at the end of the Palace game. Keeping the ball in a dead game and generally looking nice isn't a reason to put him ahead of Sterling.

To answer the question though:

Alberto's played 191 minutes of first-team football this season.
Sterling's played 505 minutes of first-team football this season.

I don't think Sterling has shown anymore than Alberto has shown to be honest. And Sterling has spent more than twice as much time as Alberto on the pitch and he stayed on for 90 minutes against Norwich despite doing very little of note.

Most importantly, it isn't even a fair comparison between the two of them because one has just arrived in this country and Sterling has more than 30 appearances for the first team including numerous starts. Looking quite simply at what they have provided on the ball, really there isn't much to choose between them. 

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #688 on: December 5, 2013, 08:39:09 am »
You have stated he is overrated and lacks technical ability that should already be there. Said he's a pace merchant who got figured out.

I stand by it.

Doesn't mean I'm sitting there waiting for him to fail either.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #689 on: December 5, 2013, 08:40:21 am »
I stand by it.

Doesn't mean I'm sitting there waiting for him to fail either.

Yeah I'm sure you're completely behind him.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #690 on: December 5, 2013, 08:40:53 am »
"we all" - sure we did lad, read back a few pages and see the hypocrosy.... i cant be arsed to read through your posting history, maybe you were one giving the kid a break or not, i dunno...

But wind your neck in, i'm saying 'lets get behind the lad' - if you arguing it's because of me, and not that point... so ignore me and accept the point yeah?

I'll say the same thing I told Melbred. Just because I don't rate a player doesn't mean I don't back him when he is playing. Even Paul fucking Konchesky and Phillip Degen got backed once they were on the pitch.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #691 on: December 5, 2013, 08:42:31 am »
Yeah I'm sure you're completely behind him.

More than you can imagine. #TeamLiverpool

Offline Juan Loco

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #692 on: December 5, 2013, 08:44:22 am »
I don't think Sterling has shown anymore than Alberto has shown to be honest. And Sterling has spent more than twice as much time as Alberto on the pitch and he stayed on for 90 minutes against Norwich despite doing very little of note.

Most importantly, it isn't even a fair comparison between the two of them because one has just arrived in this country and Sterling has more than 30 appearances for the first team including numerous starts. Looking quite simply at what they have provided on the ball, really there isn't much to choose between them. 

But there is. Let's say they started the season equal - although again, Sterling had done more in preseason, but let's put that aside - they both started the Notts County game. Alberto was poor, a non-entity. Sterling was arguably he man of the match and scored a good goal. That puts Sterling ahead of him. He comes on at Sunderland and does well, he starts against Palace and wins a penalty, he starts against Hull and is poor, but no more poor than the other two up front with him. He gets the nod ahead of Moses last night and he scores another goal. There's some poor sub performances in there - United and Newcastle IIRC - but y'know, he's done stuff.

What's Alberto actually done to say he should get a go ahead of him. Like, seriously, can you remember a single thing Alberto has done in a Liverpool shirt? There was a shot yesterday straight at the keeper. There may have been a reverse pass against Palace. He, erm, kept the ball against Newcastle. He's floated through appearances. I don't get how you can say he's done as much as Sterling, but there we go.

The only game he's done something in is the game he played for the ressies where he scored a hattrick, and even then, it was Sterling who was the best player on the pitch.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #693 on: December 5, 2013, 08:47:17 am »
I think you back Sterling to be the main man to benefit from the Studge injury. He wasn't going to jump straight back to his best after an indifferent spell. I think back him for a handful of games and it'll come good again as he has a decent link-up with Suarez I think. His goal last night should do his confidence some good too.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #694 on: December 5, 2013, 08:55:26 am »
But there is. Let's say they started the season equal - although again, Sterling had done more in preseason, but let's put that aside - they both started the Notts County game. Alberto was poor, a non-entity. Sterling was arguably he man of the match and scored a good goal. That puts Sterling ahead of him. He comes on at Sunderland and does well, he starts against Palace and wins a penalty, he starts against Hull and is poor, but no more poor than the other two up front with him. He gets the nod ahead of Moses last night and he scores another goal. There's some poor sub performances in there - United and Newcastle IIRC - but y'know, he's done stuff.

What's Alberto actually done to say he should get a go ahead of him. Like, seriously, can you remember a single thing Alberto has done in a Liverpool shirt? There was a shot yesterday straight at the keeper. There may have been a reverse pass against Palace. He, erm, kept the ball against Newcastle. He's floated through appearances. I don't get how you can say he's done as much as Sterling, but there we go.

The only game he's done something in is the game he played for the ressies where he scored a hattrick, and even then, it was Sterling who was the best player on the pitch.

Sterling did a lot more in pre-season but the rest of that list is quite debatable. I don't really think he's done that well apart from the Notts County game. He might have won the penalty against Palace but he did precious little otherwise. It was the same against Norwich for example where he did very very little, ran into blind alleys and lost the ball a few times even though it was a much improved performance compared to his performance against Hull so credit to Brendan for sticking by him. Still, my issue with Sterling goes beyond what he produces in fleeting moments. It's what he does over a period of time and there is no way of saying Alberto or for that matter anyone else won't have done that given that time.

For the record, I think we've been forced into a situation where a youngster that I don't particularly think the world of is being forced to play when he probably shouldn't be. And this is due to both Aspas and Alberto looking completely unready although Alberto appears to be making some progress with the physicality of the league. In the long run though, I would much rather have Alberto in his place especially given how much we struggle to link midfield and attack when Coutinho isn't playing or having a bad game.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #695 on: December 5, 2013, 09:02:07 am »
That was a performance of a player short in confidence; first half he was sloppy...as the game went on his natural talent became clear.
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline Juan Loco

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #696 on: December 5, 2013, 09:02:49 am »
Sterling did a lot more in pre-season but the rest of that list is quite debatable. I don't really think he's done that well apart from the Notts County game. He might have won the penalty against Palace but he did precious little otherwise. It was the same against Norwich for example where he did very very little, ran into blind alleys and lost the ball a few times even though it was a much improved performance compared to his performance against Hull so credit to Brendan for sticking by him. Still, my issue with Sterling goes beyond what he produces in fleeting moments. It's what he does over a period of time and there is no way of saying Alberto or for that matter anyone else won't have done that given that time.

For the record, I think we've been forced into a situation where a youngster that I don't particularly think the world of is being forced to play when he probably shouldn't be. And this is due to both Aspas and Alberto looking completely unready although Alberto appears to be making some progress with the physicality of the league. In the long run though, I would much rather have Alberto in his place especially given how much we struggle to link midfield and attack when Coutinho isn't playing or having a bad game.

The rest of the list isn't debatable though is it? He's had 4 starts, scored twice and won a pen. You obviously don't think a lot of him, which is why you're quibbling over a performance of an 18 year old out of position against Palace, but he still contributed to the game. You can think he played poorly last night - I don't think he did - but he still got his goal. Sturridge had a couple of very poor games at the start of the season, if you ignore the fact that he scored, but why would you given he's an attacking player?

Basically you don't rate Sterling and you do rate Alberto - based off what I couldn't possibly say, given trying to find something notable Alberto has done is like trying to catch smoke - but that's sound. You can rather Alberto there. I wouldn't. But the idea that Alberto should be getting these minutes or would have done more if given them is based on guess work, given there's very little evidence in what he's done so far to suggest he would have. At the same time, I think the fact that you don't rate Sterling is helping you downplay what he has actually done when given his opportunities to start games. I think had Alberto won a penalty and scored twice in 4 starts, but fleeted in and out of the games around those moments of impact, you'd be singing a different tune about what justifies a place in the team.

Offline Sakho_lfc

• Main Stander
« Reply #697 on: December 5, 2013, 09:16:21 am »
Age is on his time and therefore people (myself included) should not write him off (and to be fair no one really has).

I think he is a player that is a bit short of confidence at the moment. He has very good pace and decent dribbling skills, and i think would turn out to be a great impact sub for us in the future.

However from what i've seen, his decision making/footballing brain is seriously lacking, even for someone at his age. British players in general seems to have lower footballing sense for whatever reason, and to me, Sterling is a par below other British players at his age in terms of footballing sense. Youngsters like flannagan, spearing, kelly etc to me have much more sense than Sterling.

I think Sterling can improve his decision making and football sense for sure as he plays more often, however I don't think one can improve that much. I would be happy if i am proven wrong anyway. He needs a loan so he can get more playing time, that is for sure.

Offline sambhi92

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Round the Fields of Anfield Road
« Reply #698 on: December 5, 2013, 09:29:17 am »
Just give Sterling time, expecting too much from him will only cause him to go backward. the Lad is 18 going on 19 this week. Has enough time to develop and become a really good winger. 
Round the Fields of Anfield Road

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #699 on: December 5, 2013, 09:29:47 am »
The rest of the list isn't debatable though is it? He's had 4 starts, scored twice and won a pen. You obviously don't think a lot of him, which is why you're quibbling over a performance of an 18 year old out of position against Palace, but he still contributed to the game. You can think he played poorly last night - I don't think he did - but he still got his goal. Sturridge had a couple of very poor games at the start of the season, if you ignore the fact that he scored, but why would you given he's an attacking player?

Basically you don't rate Sterling and you do rate Alberto - based off what I couldn't possibly say, given trying to find something notable Alberto has done is like trying to catch smoke - but that's sound. You can rather Alberto there. I wouldn't. But the idea that Alberto should be getting these minutes or would have done more if given them is based on guess work, given there's very little evidence in what he's done so far to suggest he would have. At the same time, I think the fact that you don't rate Sterling is helping you downplay what he has actually done when given his opportunities to start games. I think had Alberto won a penalty and scored twice in 4 starts, but fleeted in and out of the games around those moments of impact, you'd be singing a different tune about what justifies a place in the team.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying that Alberto would have done more in those minutes. Just saying that there is no way of being sure that Alberto wouldn't have done the same amount HAD he been given the same amount of time as Sterling.

And on the back of the Norwich game, I do think Sterling deserves to play but in the long run, as Alberto gets more accustomed to the league, I would like to see him make more appearances because I think he is the only other player Coutinho apart in our squad currently that appears to have the ability to knit the midfield and attack. Sterling has some uses but he doesn't appear to be able to do that.

But ultimately it comes down to what I see when I look at the players themselves. I think Sterling lacks top end technical ability and has overcome it thus far thanks to his initial burst of acceleration which is quite rapid. He could still become very effective if he grows a bit more and becomes even faster because he can simply knock and run and Sterling's intelligence is one aspect of his game that I do rate and I have no doubt he will apply himself judiciously, however that depends on him growing bigger and faster.

With Alberto though, I see a player that is extremely comfortable on the ball and able to manipulate it expertly to create angles and again with a great deal of intelligence in terms of understanding and orchestrating play. I don't think he has anywhere near the raw talent that Suso possesses for instance but I see him as a polished option that can do very well for us. He seems like the kind of player that can also get others performing much better and players like that are hugely important. A team ought to be greater than the sum of its parts and players in the mould of Alberto can make that happen. At least in my opinion.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #700 on: December 5, 2013, 09:47:11 am »
Credit to Rodgers for sticking with Sterling.  The easy thing to do would have been to pull him out of the team but sticking with him will build the lad's confidence and help him progress.

There are not many 18/19 year olds with his level of Premier League experience and goals.  There's a reason for that.  We need to look after him and there's every chance he will come good.  Obviously needs some work but that's to be expected.

Offline JoeH

• Slightly obsessed with things up the bum - thinks it's funny.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #701 on: December 5, 2013, 09:58:48 am »
I thought he got a lot better as the game progressed last night. At first he seemed withdrawn and a bit hesitant to make a run or try and skin a player, as the game progressed he seemed to find his confidence and made some cracking runs and decisions. I still reckon he runs like he is desperate to get last orders in Garlands though  ;D

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #702 on: December 5, 2013, 10:06:51 am »
Comparing Sterling and Alberto is totally pointless as they are completely different types of players. They both have a lot to learn (you could say one has to adapt to the game in this country, and the other has to develop the game intelligence that seems evident in the other already) and they are both under an excellent coach, who may just well draw out the potential of both. Let's hope.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #703 on: December 5, 2013, 10:13:09 am »
What I was pointing towards was that at this moment Sterling isn't playing well and we as a TEAM cannot afford his making mistakes and getting better should be done at another team on loan, as until he's got some consistent games under his belt AND played well in them, he  doesn't improve the team enough to warrant games right now.

That's my opinion. Just because it isn't liking to the hearing of someone who rates Sterling, there is no reason to be offensive. This is part of the reason why I hardly post in here any more as at some point someone WILL disagree, law of averages etc, but it's always offensive when I do get a reply that does disagree. I don't report people coz I'm not a grass but FFS try to be civil if the poster is civil, be offensive if the poster is offensive.

Maybe Alberto wouldn't have done any better or worse we don't know, Aspas may have been shite too as he wasn't setting the world alight when he started here but he's been injured up until the Hull game so to bring him back in at the weekend might've been too soon anyway but last night I think we could have at least given him a bit of a run.

Comparing Sterling to Ronaldo, ok how about one of our own at 18, Steve McManaman, compare him to Stevey. At 18 Macca had shown more ability than Sterling has so far in the short 1st team LFC career.

Look at Oxlade chamberpot similar age group but that stint in the first teams at a lower division did huge things for his current ability, and to be fair he has been a better player than Sterling so far at their respective clubs.

I'm not saying Sterling won't make it here, I can't see into the future, but I do think he's not as good as a lot of our fans think he is, and until he starts showing better performances that is how it will stay.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #704 on: December 5, 2013, 10:17:24 am »
Comparing Sterling and Alberto is totally pointless as they are completely different types of players. They both have a lot to learn (you could say one has to adapt to the game in this country, and the other has to develop the game intelligence that seems evident in the other already) and they are both under an excellent coach, who may just well draw out the potential of both. Let's hope.
This is it.  People have questioned the Alberto signing but Rodgers is backing himself to develop the player.  Rodgers is more coach than manager at this stage.  His experience at youth level should be an asset.  I think he can help Alberto, Sterling, Suso etc bridge the gap between U18/21 and the first team.  But it will take time.  We may not see the value of Alberto/Sterling in the first team now but you hope there's a plan.  Players generally don't start to show finished product until they reach 100 Premier League games.  The question is are we willing to give them those games and help them develop.  And are they willing to develop, something which Rodgers and his staff will know a bit more about.

Look at Sturridge.  Look at Ramsey.  Look at Walcott.  All got a good level of experience by the time they hit 22/23 and then (100 games on) we start to see the type of player they will become.

I'd take Sterling being a Walcott type player at 22/23 all day long.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #705 on: December 5, 2013, 10:22:41 am »
He's a wonderful talent and he's going to give us some very memorable days.

Last night he played well. Sure, he started tentatively but as the game wore on he gained confidence and reminded us of how wonderful it is to have a player in the side who carries the ball at pace. He worked well with Coutinho and created a superb chance for Gerrard from a pretty unpromising situation. His goal was excellent. Not just the crisp strike with his left foot but the penetrating run into the box beyond his marker. In breaking situations like that he must be hell to mark because he's just so damn quick.

He also hustled well and tackled decently. Gerrard made several forays in the second half and once Norwich regained possession they broke quickly through Redmond and Howson. On each occasion it was Sterling, tracking back at high speed, who filled the midfield gap and slowed the Norwich counter-attack. Gerrrard will have noticed this even if some of our fans didn't.  He kept disciplined right to the end as well.

The contrast with the other side of the pitch was plain to see. For all Henderson's experience he is not as wise - and certainly not as equipped technically - to pass and move QUICKLY. Sterling also offers something that, in harness with Coutino and Suarez, can be extremely dangerous. The ability to beat men. In my opinion we can't have enough players in the team who can take an opponent out. Sterling does it more than most.

He'll do very well at Liverpool.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline swordfishtrombone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #706 on: December 5, 2013, 10:24:59 am »
Comparing Sterling to Ronaldo, ok how about one of our own at 18, Steve McManaman, compare him to Stevey. At 18 Macca had shown more ability than Sterling has so far in the short 1st team LFC career.

I don't think so. McManaman played twice in the 90/91 season when he was 18/19. It was the following season, when he was 19/20, that he really broke through to the first team. I think people sometimes forget just how young Raheem is.

Offline swordfishtrombone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #707 on: December 5, 2013, 10:29:52 am »
I think he is a player that is a bit short of confidence at the moment. He has very good pace and decent dribbling skills, and i think would turn out to be a great impact sub for us in the future.

However from what i've seen, his decision making/footballing brain is seriously lacking, even for someone at his age. British players in general seems to have lower footballing sense for whatever reason, and to me, Sterling is a par below other British players at his age in terms of footballing sense. Youngsters like flannagan, spearing, kelly etc to me have much more sense than Sterling.

I think Sterling can improve his decision making and football sense for sure as he plays more often, however I don't think one can improve that much. I would be happy if i am proven wrong anyway. He needs a loan so he can get more playing time, that is for sure.

There are no issues with his football intelligence from what I've seen of him coming up through the ranks, in fact I think it is one of the things that separates him from his peers. He's maybe been a bit low of confidence, but that goal last night will do him the world of good.

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #708 on: December 5, 2013, 10:37:29 am »
I don't think so. McManaman played twice in the 90/91 season when he was 18/19. It was the following season, when he was 19/20, that he really broke through to the first team. I think people sometimes forget just how young Raheem is.

OK fair enough but I still don't think he will become a better player than any of those he has been compared to. If I'm wrong fair play to him but we will just have to wait and see.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #709 on: December 5, 2013, 10:43:42 am »
Think he'll be an important player in the coming weeks, with Sturridge out Sterling is arguably the only player in our squad able to run in behind the opposition.

Moses could do it, I mean he's quick enough, but he doesnt. He follows the ball and wants it to feet more often than not.

Sterling offer's us a genuine threat in behind, which we desperately need without Sturridge stretching the pitch. His movement off the ball, running in between fullback and centre back is very good.

And it's something Suarez is acutely aware of, the two combine very well on the whole. The majority of Sterling's goals in the first team have been assisted by Luis. So he obviously appreciates that sort of movement. Coutinho too, you would assume, will enjoy picking him out.

Wouldnt be at all surprised to see Sterling net again in the coming weeks.

Offline TheGOAT

• Gruff handbagger
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #710 on: December 5, 2013, 10:45:11 am »
Was his brilliant pass that changed the game at Upton Park last season, hopefully the same at Anfield on Saturday, we'll need it against their 11 men in their area.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #711 on: December 5, 2013, 10:45:11 am »
Has to improve his physical side. He looks too lanky.

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #712 on: December 5, 2013, 10:52:50 am »
It'a very strange.

He's put on muscle...you can make that out.

Is he around 5'5'? There is no way he is 5'7'...he looks shorter than flanno
The West is finished, China is the future

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #713 on: December 5, 2013, 11:43:38 am »
No need for that, it is just his opinion, everybody has them and opinions can't be right or wrong, what if you posted something and somebody put the same as you did there, you wouldn't like it, so therefore respect others opinions

By Jove Aaron a very good post
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #714 on: December 5, 2013, 11:47:01 am »
I like Sterling a lot and after seeing him and Suarez getting a bit heated in the Hull game, I was made up he scored from the Suarez assist and they had a nice big hug.

He's a good player, very young, with bags more potential. He has contributed this season, as he did last. Maybe he's not in the first 11 with everyone fit, but he's certainly one of the most useful bench options in that situation.

Even if he does run like a T Rex.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #715 on: December 5, 2013, 07:04:57 pm »
Hopefully the goal settles him down, gives him confidence and lets him kick on over the next few weeks.

Offline Tomo!

• Shit post editor! Will be giving his wife one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #716 on: December 5, 2013, 08:49:28 pm »
Thought he played well yesterday, also his middle name is Shaquille
Google messi topless on holiday. Now look at david silva, villa, iniesta, xavi, they have the upper bodies of little boys.

Offline kevin87

• Kopite
« Reply #717 on: December 5, 2013, 09:05:31 pm »
jesus this thread is funny.

Ufortunately its a prime example of how football and patience are now futher apart than the north and south pole.

I think Rodgers is managing Sterling very well, people forget that at 18, what happens on the pitch is only half of what its like to being a premiership player. Hes had Off field drama, the hodge asking him to play for england, and people on here and in the stands expecting him to be digger barnes...at 18...

He's doing more at 18 in the prem than bale was.....thats all im saying.

Bale didnt hit his straps till he was 23

Ronaldo didnt produce consistently till 22/23

walcott is just finding his consitentcy, same with ramsey.

What im trying to say is it is very common for young players to come in and show a glipmse of what they can do during their teens. However it is very unfair for anyone to expect Consistent performances, week in week out, untill these players mature both physically and mentally.

Often that age is 22-25, as suggested by the above and many many other examples.

we need to remember this when we talk about young raheem, and the rest of our young talent in our squad (suso, ibe, wisdom, alberto, Yesil even the likes of Allen and hendo. they are all so young in the grand scheme of things)

Offline MC14

• I apologise for my terrible hair, clothes and glasses
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #718 on: December 5, 2013, 10:00:19 pm »
Thought he played well yesterday, also his middle name is Shaquille

Was about to point it out. Can we have it named as Raheem Shaquille Sterling

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #719 on: December 5, 2013, 10:03:14 pm »
I reckon he's going to play near every game until Sturridge is fit or January signings come in which will be fantatstic for the lad. I think then barring exceptional form we should look at loaning him. IMO he's marginally better than Moses but if Sturridge is fit and we bring in another attacker I'd rather Moses rot on the bench as cover until his loan finishes than hamper Sterlings development.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.