Author Topic: A Christopher Nolan Thread  (Read 50372 times)

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
Re: Interstellar (Christopher Nolan's next film).
« Reply #480 on: December 6, 2014, 07:50:28 am »
Loved it. I still think TDK and Prestige are his best movies with Memento and Interstellar next on the list.
I think Inception has a tighter plot than Interstellar but I was emotionally involved with Interstellar, l didn't care for any of the characters in Inception. I certainly enjoyed Interstellar more than Gravity. I see a lot of people are mentioning 2001 and I see the similarities. Personally I'm not a fan of 2001 but admit it looks amazing and feels epic but I wasn't emotionally invested until Dave and Hal are introduced. I'm a character guy and any time characters aren't involved or developed I check out of the movie regardless of the high concept or visuals.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #481 on: December 6, 2014, 05:25:48 pm »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #482 on: December 6, 2014, 06:26:41 pm »
I am tempted to contest this, but since you can probably recite the film backwards by now I will wait till the DVD gets released.

To me it seems Nolan has peaked. The last two films - TDKR and Interstellar - were underwhelming. Hope I am wrong and he creates a masterpiece.

Excerpt From: Greg Keyes. “Interstellar.” iBooks. It contains a lot of the actual lines in the movie so you'll see what I mean.

Spoiler
“Cooper was “moving” fast now, following the room through space-time. Watching it go from being Murph’s bedroom, to abandoned, to glimpses of what might be a little boy, although he never got a clear view.
“‘They’d have access to infinite time, infinite space,” he told Tars, gesturing all around him. “But no way to find what they need. But I can find Murph and find a way to tell her—like I found this moment…”
“How?” Tars asked.
“Love, Tars,” he said. “Love, just like Brand said. That’s how we find things here.” Love, like gravity, which could move across time and dimensions.
Brand had been spot on.
“So what are we to do?” Tars asked.
Cooper looked down the time dimension. The books? No, and not the lander. But the watch, on the shelf, as far as he could see…
“The watch,” he realized. “That’s it. She’ll come back for it.”
“How do you know?” Tars asked.
And again he felt the certainty, a pull as strong as a black hole. Stronger—it was like the pull that had brought him here. That would bring Murph back, too.
“Because I gave it to her,” he said, excitement building. He scrutinized the watch for a moment. It would have to be simple, binary, or…
He had it.
“We use the second hand,” he told Tars. “Translate the data into Morse, and feed it to me.”
He grabbed the timeline that connected to the second hand in all of its iterations, and as the data came in he tugged it in time, long and short—dots and dashes.
“What if she never came back for it?” Tars asked.
“She will,” he insisted, as the second hand began flicking back and forth. “She will. I can feel it…”
[close]

« Last Edit: December 6, 2014, 06:32:02 pm by Halcyon Lissome »
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline Pelé as a Comedian

• The seeker of the True Cockroach. Forgetful.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #483 on: December 6, 2014, 10:34:48 pm »
i've got a question. what was the meaning of Cooper "shaking" Amelias hand in the wormhole and how did that come about? Coop went into the blackhole but Amelia was travelling in the wormhole? did he drop by on his way back (in time) to earth ? and please dont say it was love

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #484 on: December 6, 2014, 10:35:59 pm »
Spoiler
“Love, Tars,” he said. “Love, just like Brand said. That’s how we find things here.” Love, like gravity, which could move across time and dimensions.
Brand had been spot on.
[close]

kthanxbye.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #485 on: December 6, 2014, 10:57:06 pm »
Spoiler
Brand had been spot on.
[close]

kthanxbye.

is that a response to my question ? if so it doesnt really add up

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #486 on: December 6, 2014, 11:11:03 pm »
is that a response to my question ? if so it doesnt really add up

No mate it isn't. You've asked a good question that I picked up on myself. And let's be honest, unless someone invents some stuff that isn't in the film, there is no explaining that.

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #487 on: December 6, 2014, 11:38:25 pm »
No mate it isn't. You've asked a good question that I picked up on myself. And let's be honest, unless someone invents some stuff that isn't in the film, there is no explaining that.

my bad mate. also, why is the whole crew so nonchalant about it all and doesnt even delve into it at all.
first contact everybody! but ok, lets get back to our mission now..

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #488 on: December 6, 2014, 11:50:31 pm »
my bad mate. also, why is the whole crew so nonchalant about it all and doesnt even delve into it at all.
first contact everybody! but ok, lets get back to our mission now..

The answer is love.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #489 on: December 7, 2014, 01:57:32 pm »
The answer is love.

some video wizard needs to edit the movie into a music video set to the Beatles All You Need is Love

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #490 on: December 7, 2014, 06:25:14 pm »
i've got a question. what was the meaning of Cooper "shaking" Amelias hand in the wormhole and how did that come about? Coop went into the blackhole but Amelia was travelling in the wormhole? did he drop by on his way back (in time) to earth ? and please dont say it was love

In terms of the meaning of the movie; I think it's a symbolic wink of "they" being us. Since when Brand shakes the hand/touches gravity for the first time Romilly asks her what it is and she responds saying she thinks it is "them" (possibly aliens) giving the first "handshake". When in actuality it is Coop, with greater knowledge of the workings of gravity.

In terms of what the scene is I think it was just a breakdown of the tesseract wherein another sight of the past is seen. For Coop they recreated a specific point (Murph's bedroom) so he could concentrate on that and pass on the quantum data but he might have seen a bigger part of it on breakdown and just like the watch used gravity to touch Brand. As Brand says earlier in the movie:

“Look, Cooper,” she said, “they’re creatures of at least five dimensions. To them the past might be a canyon they can climb into, and the future a mountain they can climb up.”
« Last Edit: December 7, 2014, 06:28:20 pm by Halcyon Lissome »

Offline litliper

• Legacy Fan
  • Does anybody wanna buy a country?
« Reply #491 on: December 7, 2014, 07:53:45 pm »
Amazing how much time people can spend analyzing a movie that's about as deep as Ernest goes to jail.
"My country is the world, and my religion to do good." (Thomas Paine)

Offline bigal

• Not Bi. Or a Gal for that matter.
  • Kopite
  • Allez les rouges
« Reply #492 on: December 7, 2014, 08:17:57 pm »
Saw it tonight, didn't like it. Sorry.
I like Nolan's work usually but although spectacular this was emperor's clothes for me. And long.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #493 on: December 8, 2014, 03:41:11 am »
Amazing how much time people can spend analyzing a movie that's about as deep as Ernest goes to jail.

wrong on both counts, and don't dis the Ernest franchise

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #494 on: December 8, 2014, 03:39:57 pm »
Saw this last night... epic is the word... people who hate it... I don't really get your logic

This. Brilliant movie, loved every second of it.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #495 on: December 10, 2014, 03:21:12 am »
What would everyone give this movie out of 10, just so we can see if we can quantify the variation between opinions.

I'd give it a solid 6.5-7.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #496 on: December 10, 2014, 03:50:05 am »
What would everyone give this movie out of 10, just so we can see if we can quantify the variation between opinions.

Initially said a solid 7.5 I think but I'm going to reduce that to a 7. I think that's more representative of a 'solid' film.

Offline SquirrelandGman

• 24 Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shagging a sheep somewhere.
« Reply #497 on: December 10, 2014, 07:42:11 am »
Give it a 7  just for the soundtrack alone.

Story wise.. I just don't get the matt Damon character. Yes we needed a bad guy.. Yes  he's desperate to go home.. Just feel he was there to add the exciting spaceship chasing scene.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #498 on: December 10, 2014, 04:11:37 pm »
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline hansen6

• RAWK Scientific Officer, 1687-1905
  • Legacy Fan
  • Must post more
« Reply #499 on: December 10, 2014, 04:24:06 pm »
Seen it at the Imax, good movie, but takes ages to get going.

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #500 on: December 10, 2014, 05:09:18 pm »

Watched this the other day, and I'd give it 6/10 or 7/10, at the most. Didn't care enough to dislike it or pick it apart.

Spoiler
Oh, nearly burst out laughing when the kid said, after coughing, "It's the dust."
[close]

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #501 on: December 10, 2014, 05:12:30 pm »

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #502 on: December 10, 2014, 05:14:45 pm »
8/10, doesn't feel very rewatchable though.

Preferred NightCrawler + GotG this year
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #503 on: December 10, 2014, 05:36:53 pm »
Solid 8.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #504 on: December 10, 2014, 05:49:42 pm »
6.5 - 7
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #505 on: December 10, 2014, 05:51:50 pm »
8/10, doesn't feel very rewatchable though.

Preferred NightCrawler + GotG this year

Watch it again, it's very rewatchable! (Seen it several times in the cinema).

I'm not sure how I'd rate it; it's up there with the best movies I've ever seen and right now is probably my favourite. I guess we'll see how I feel about it over time.

9.5-10/10

Give it a 7  just for the soundtrack alone.

Story wise.. I just don't get the matt Damon character. Yes we needed a bad guy.. Yes  he's desperate to go home.. Just feel he was there to add the exciting spaceship chasing scene.

The movie was about the survival of humans and their capacity to endure. Coop for example was the character who was willing to sacrifice himself so others could survive; whereas Mann was the opposite; he was willing to do heinous things so that he himself could survive. There's a poignant scene before they go off to hypersleep where Coop and Brand talk about space and how she thinks even though there is a lot of danger out there in nature; she doesn't feel there is evil. Mann is an example of where she was wrong. I think he is necessary to provide a counterbalance. Everyone in the movie is oh so good, oh so willing to push the greater cause; and you get hit right in the gut by the person who was supposed to be the best of them - who in reality was simply a sociopath who pretended to be selfless for his narcissistic needs.

It could be said that Nolan symbolised Mann (allusion to actual 'man') as the kind of base human we need to get over if we wish to progress as a human race. We can all identify in a weird way with what he is doing to survive; but we know it is wrong.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 05:56:11 pm by Halcyon Lissome »

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #506 on: December 10, 2014, 06:59:06 pm »
It could be said that Nolan symbolised Mann (allusion to actual 'man') as the kind of base human we need to get over if we wish to progress as a human race. We can all identify in a weird way with what he is doing to survive; but we know it is wrong.

Wow, never noticed that before, high level stuff.

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #507 on: December 10, 2014, 07:42:46 pm »

:lmao

The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #508 on: December 10, 2014, 09:54:19 pm »

It's not supposed to be.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #509 on: December 10, 2014, 11:45:58 pm »
i would give it a 7, its quite a ride with many positives..

. There's a poignant scene before they go off to hypersleep where Coop and Brand talk about space and how she thinks even though there is a lot of danger out there in nature; she doesn't feel there is evil. Mann is an example of where she was wrong.

i find it incredible that i have to correct you on this issue seeing as i've seen the movie once but you quite often.
Amelia states that evil isn't out there (in nature/universe) but in man (Mann!) and it turns out to be true, she isn't wrong.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 12:02:36 am by Pelé as a Comedian »

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #510 on: December 11, 2014, 02:17:54 am »
i would give it a 7, its quite a ride with many positives..

i find it incredible that i have to correct you on this issue seeing as i've seen the movie once but you quite often.
Amelia states that evil isn't out there (in nature/universe) but in man (Mann!) and it turns out to be true, she isn't wrong.

I guess I assume 'man' is part of nature and that the forces in play are what turn people. For example, she makes a statement about how if a tiger kills a gazelle it doesn't make it evil. That's just nature.

But yes I think your interpretation is better (more correct) than mine. Another premonition; they're littered throughout the film.

EDIT: I just read the novelization of the movie and it appears it's kind of meant to be an open question:

“Tell me about Dr. Mann,” he said.
A new world came up on screen, white and grainy.
“Remarkable,” she said. “The best of us. My father’s protégé. He inspired eleven people to follow him on the loneliest journey in human history.” A different sort of passion flared in her eyes, and he saw some of her father there. “Scientists, explorers,” she said. “
That’s what I love. Out there we face great odds. Death. But not evil.”
“Nature can’t be evil?” Cooper said.
“Formidable,” Brand said. “Frightening—not evil. Is a tiger evil because it rips a gazelle to pieces?”
Cooper reflected on that. If you were the gazelle, he mused, it was a moot point what was going on in the tiger’s heart and soul—whether it was evil, or just staying alive. Plenty of human beings had justified immensely evil acts in the name of survival and the “natural order of things.”
“Just what we bring with us then,” he said. He didn’t want to get into a real argument, but stubbornly found himself unwilling to let the point slide past completely.
Apparently she noticed.
“This crew represents the best aspects of humanity,” Brand said, a little testily, but he let it go. Why start the trip with a pointless philosophical argument? They had to live with one another for a long time.”
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 02:24:25 am by Halcyon Lissome »

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #511 on: December 11, 2014, 03:34:10 am »

Missed the line that the Black guy utters ? 'He's da Mann !'. - You missed that one ?

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #512 on: December 11, 2014, 11:11:38 am »
Would give it a 6/10. Above average, not rewatchable.

Could've gone to 7-8 with a tighter editing.
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #513 on: December 11, 2014, 12:05:56 pm »
Would give it a 6/10. Above average, not rewatchable.

Could've gone to 7-8 with a tighter editing.

And that would be the lowest rating so far.

So basically everyone's given it 3/5 stars or more. The backlash, has mostly been a result of the hype.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #514 on: December 11, 2014, 12:09:43 pm »

So basically everyone's given it 3/5 stars or more. The backlash, has mostly been a result of the hype.

Honestly knew this was the case before I even took stock of various people's ratings of the film. Apparently, for the Nolan fanboys, it's 11/10 and a tattoo of 'quantum data' on one's bollocks or nothing for film.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #515 on: December 11, 2014, 12:41:58 pm »
6/10 for me as well.

Offline litliper

• Legacy Fan
  • Does anybody wanna buy a country?
« Reply #516 on: December 11, 2014, 12:44:19 pm »
6 from me too
"My country is the world, and my religion to do good." (Thomas Paine)

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #517 on: December 11, 2014, 06:08:14 pm »

not so much hype as plain honest expectation.
the very best current explorer director, ably aided by some prominent scientist, sets off to achieve greatness.
turns out it's a shitty ice cloud too good to be true

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #518 on: December 17, 2014, 12:07:38 am »
Finally got round to seeing it tonight and I loved it. It's not perfect by any means, but I found it utterly compelling, it didn't feel like 3 hours either.

One thing that was perfect was the score. Amazing.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #519 on: December 17, 2014, 11:43:12 pm »