Author Topic: A Christopher Nolan Thread  (Read 50374 times)

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Interstellar.
« Reply #600 on: May 24, 2015, 07:18:55 pm »
I was also blown away, and felt...

Spoiler
....sad when Coop went into the black hole when it looked like he was gonna die, I normally feel nothing for characters in films.

I still think Hathaway and Chastain are massively overrated actresses though.
[close]

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #601 on: May 25, 2015, 10:15:16 am »
Watched it the other week. BazC covered it for me. It's a truly outstanding eye candy. Some amazing scenes (visually). Can't say I felt for the characters much and the fact that the dialogue quickly turned to melodramatic certainly didn't help. Nor the overplayed Dr. Mann scenario.

Spoiler
Also, liked the multiple dimensions and the bookshelf scene.
[close]
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline litliper

• Legacy Fan
  • Does anybody wanna buy a country?
« Reply #602 on: May 25, 2015, 10:26:38 am »
Its a shallow piece of crap that makes no sense what so ever.
"My country is the world, and my religion to do good." (Thomas Paine)

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #603 on: May 25, 2015, 11:45:22 am »

It was a story about the necessity of pioneering spirit, discovery and ultimately it was all about survival.

The only thing I think let it down was the rushed ending. I mean he's come back to his daughter's death bed and she practically waves him away. Not many questions from her there............ or from his great grand kids!

I could look past the ending though.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #604 on: May 25, 2015, 12:09:23 pm »

My wife was watching it the other day and all of a sudden from the other room I heard 'what!? He's in a fucking book shelf!??'

Offline muyuu

• Google Groomer. reddit remain campaigner.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Rafa - fact
« Reply #605 on: May 25, 2015, 12:20:10 pm »
Expected much better. Overt drama, characters completely out of place and out of their depth, glaring plot gaps. Also, too many cringeworthy "emo" moments.

6/10
"Chelsea have confirmed that their interim fans will leave the club when Roman Abramovich does"
-sinnermichael

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=303961.msg11432382#msg11432382

Offline litliper

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #606 on: May 25, 2015, 02:07:26 pm »
My wife was watching it the other day and all of a sudden from the other room I heard 'what!? He's in a fucking book shelf!??'

Yeah. Because love. The end.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #607 on: May 25, 2015, 03:34:34 pm »
Expected much better. Overt drama, characters completely out of place and out of their depth, glaring plot gaps. Also, too many cringeworthy "emo" moments.

6/10
If you don't see it on the big screen then I don't think it's quite the same film
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline muyuu

• Google Groomer. reddit remain campaigner.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Rafa - fact
« Reply #608 on: May 25, 2015, 03:39:31 pm »
If you don't see it on the big screen then I don't think it's quite the same film

I did see it in the big screen. And I don't see why would it be better in the small screen. Imagery is not a problem in this film, or in most big budget films nowadays.
"Chelsea have confirmed that their interim fans will leave the club when Roman Abramovich does"
-sinnermichael

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=303961.msg11432382#msg11432382

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #609 on: May 25, 2015, 03:41:34 pm »

:lmao

Omnipotent humans need Matthew McConaughey to communicate the secret of love to his daughter through library book code in order to save humanity
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline litliper

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #610 on: May 25, 2015, 03:45:08 pm »

Omnipotent humans need Matthew McConaughey to communicate the secret of love to his daughter through library book code in order to save humanity

Giving her an incredibly complicated math formula using morse code.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #611 on: May 25, 2015, 03:46:44 pm »
'tis weird - I got this on right now. :)
Continually on 11,420.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #612 on: May 25, 2015, 03:47:21 pm »
I did see it in the big screen. And I don't see why would it be better in the small screen. Imagery is not a problem in this film, or in most big budget films nowadays.
Sound, effects, the all encompassing experience...

I loved it...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #613 on: May 25, 2015, 09:18:18 pm »
And dust

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #614 on: May 25, 2015, 09:19:37 pm »

I don't know why people take issue with this, they already had half the formula and it wouldn't be difficult to do
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #615 on: May 26, 2015, 03:52:31 am »

That should have been the tag line right there.

I also agree with other's who couldn't follow the dialogue. I thought there was something wrong with my TV. The computers were funny though, they reminded me of "Intelligence" from Team America.
We are Liverpool!

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #616 on: May 26, 2015, 03:59:22 am »
I don't know why people take issue with this, they already had half the formula and it wouldn't be difficult to do

I don't know that they did though? They had a formula for something, but it's not necessarily the formula that the future humans provided.

And if we're talking about completely new concepts in physics that humans previously couldn't yet fathom.. well, would Murph even have had mathematical language/symbology to represent it?

Anyway, the issue people have is it's deus ex machina. It's (almost) literally god (future humans) from the machine, giving Coop a perfect solution to an otherwise unsolvable problem. The morse code and dust just adds to it.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #617 on: May 26, 2015, 05:46:51 am »
The problem they faced in the film is a problem modern physics faces - indeed, one would need to study the singularity in a black hole to get the important insight. That cannot be done. The film basically solves the problem of gravity by sending a guy through the black hole with a machine able to make measurements of it. The formula they had in the film was probably not correct and she'd have had to start afresh. Anyway. It's a bit woolly but didn't bother me too much.

In fact I remember watching something about black holes on iplayer (horizon doc).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00nslc4/horizon-20092010-4-whos-afraid-of-a-big-black-hole
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #618 on: November 10, 2015, 02:20:54 pm »
Watched this for the first time last night. Had it on DVD for ages and because of some negative reviews never bothered with it.

Not sure if its because my expectations were low or not but that film is epic!

A bit of a cheesefest towards the end but musically and visually fantastic. Honestly think it is the best film I have seen in a long while. Was never bored even though it was quite a long film and remains interesting in many different ways. Had to put subtitles on though after 5 minutes because I was straining to hear what "Coop" was saying. I think it will become quite a cult film or a film that people appreciate more over time.

Loved that Wave!
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #619 on: May 27, 2016, 03:49:05 pm »
Looks like Nolan's next film is a World War thriller.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Interstellar. (Or a makeshift Christopher Nolan thread?)
« Reply #620 on: May 27, 2016, 03:59:43 pm »
Looks like Nolan's next film is a World War thriller.

Dunkirk, specifically. 2017 Summer release.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/690275-more-epic-dunkirk-set-photos#/slide/1
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #621 on: May 27, 2016, 04:09:40 pm »
Will be interesting to see how he handles a war film.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #622 on: May 27, 2016, 05:45:14 pm »
Well, he's cast Harry Styles. A strange choice I must say!
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Online BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #623 on: May 27, 2016, 06:30:03 pm »

If nothing else, you know visually it is going to be absolutely amazing.

Offline diggerbarnes0

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #624 on: May 27, 2016, 08:03:39 pm »

I'm with you, thought it was a load of nonsense.

They built a ship only a master pilot could fly but didn't have one ? Yet they have the worlds best pilot living a couple of hours drive who knew the head of nasa ?????

Thought the whole thing was weak.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #625 on: May 27, 2016, 10:39:44 pm »
I thought this was a joke until I checked it out. Now I can't take this film seriously, even if it does have Tom Hardy in it.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #626 on: May 28, 2016, 12:14:44 am »

Might have not been his choice.

Regardless of that though, shrewd move whoever cast him - will up the gates by a decent percentage.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline IgoDirk

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #627 on: May 28, 2016, 09:36:08 am »
Watched this for the first time last night. Had it on DVD for ages and because of some negative reviews never bothered with it.

Not sure if its because my expectations were low or not but that film is epic!

A bit of a cheesefest towards the end but musically and visually fantastic. Honestly think it is the best film I have seen in a long while. Was never bored even though it was quite a long film and remains interesting in many different ways. Had to put subtitles on though after 5 minutes because I was straining to hear what "Coop" was saying. I think it will become quite a cult film or a film that people appreciate more over time.

Loved that Wave!

Similarly, I missed this at the cinema and got the DVD, but I dodged reviews altogether.

It was one of the most memorable film watching experiences I've had. I just got completely sucked in and lost for a few hours, so for me it was a massive success. The bookshelf scene was jaw-dropping.

I've watched it again since, and I do think some of the sentimentality is perhaps a little over the top and clunky in parts, and obviously the plot paradox will grate on some. But overall, I thought it was a really immersive film that worked well on a human scale as well as an epic space/time scale.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #628 on: May 28, 2016, 08:20:44 pm »
Might have not been his choice.

Regardless of that though, shrewd move whoever cast him - will up the gates by a decent percentage.
hes the writer, director and producer, so I'm pretty sure he could have said no if he wanted to.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #629 on: May 28, 2016, 08:52:04 pm »
I've been eagerly awaiting the next Harry Styles feature ever since his truly harrowing performance in the supernatural psycho-horror arthouse masterpiece, Shadow Pico:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MYNJwpHWsBg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/MYNJwpHWsBg</a>
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #630 on: August 5, 2016, 12:11:06 am »
Teaser out for Dunkirk.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/PC460OxDNhc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/PC460OxDNhc</a>
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
Re: A Christopher Nolan Thread
« Reply #631 on: August 5, 2016, 12:19:43 am »
Was watching Saving Private Ryan the other day and thinking how rare real war movies are these days. Hoping there's a bit of it before the evacuation.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #632 on: August 5, 2016, 01:17:47 am »
Aye - I would never have thought Noland would have done a war film, but I guess it makes sense really.

I could see this being Nolan's big oscar push - a pretty straightforward story told in an interesting and life-like way. The trailer has the ticking time clock, so he'll probably play with time again somehow; probably with different story arcs going on at the same time, but told from differing perspectives.

Considering The Prestige's use of secrecy and sacrifice, he could easily play with some kind of dual-plot device. Also, he could rely heavily on opposing forces chain of command and dissemination of information or propaganda - akin to The Presige.

I don't know too much about Dunkirk, but weren't there some kind of standoff to let the British Army retreat?
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #633 on: August 5, 2016, 02:12:19 am »

I don't know too much about Dunkirk, but weren't there some kind of standoff to let the British Army retreat?

I think the myth is Hitler halted the advance on Dunkirk for 48 hours to allow the troops to get away because he wanted peace with Britain, but if I remember rightly from the History channel doc I watch the other week. some British and French forces did a counterattack that took the Germans by surprised they sacrificed themselves so the bulk of the army could get away. 

It will be interesting to see how Nolan plays it.

I could be making up history I was drunk when I watched the Doc.
« Last Edit: August 5, 2016, 02:17:16 am by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #634 on: August 5, 2016, 12:32:27 pm »
There are probably a few different stories about what actually happened.

After reading up on it, it does seem that the two-day halt is a moot point with different opinions on what actually happened. Could it have been just a simple stand-off?

Anyhow, I wouldn't be surprised if this is where Nolan places most of the drama - judging by the trailer it appears that there is some kind of standoff.

That visual of the boat with the troops in is a bit unnerving - but in real life, I wouldn't mind betting that they'd have bailed into the sea, screaming and shouting.

I do fear that Nolan is becoming more and more sentimental as his films go on.
Continually on 11,420.

Online BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #635 on: August 5, 2016, 01:37:11 pm »
Was watching Saving Private Ryan the other day and thinking how rare real war movies are these days. Hoping there's a bit of it before the evacuation.

Yeah can't think of much besides Fury the last few years, few set in war time alright but not the military side. Recommend Fury if you haven't already seen it.
There are probably a few different stories about what actually happened.

After reading up on it, it does seem that the two-day halt is a moot point with different opinions on what actually happened. Could it have been just a simple stand-off?

Anyhow, I wouldn't be surprised if this is where Nolan places most of the drama - judging by the trailer it appears that there is some kind of standoff.

That visual of the boat with the troops in is a bit unnerving - but in real life, I wouldn't mind betting that they'd have bailed into the sea, screaming and shouting.

I do fear that Nolan is becoming more and more sentimental as his films go on.

Still love Interstellar but when i rewatch it i just want to skip past all of Jessica Chastain's scenes and turn it off ten minutes before the end so i can see where you are coming from.

No women around to spoil this one.  :P

Very excited just to see what a battle scene directed by Nolan looks like.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #636 on: August 5, 2016, 02:50:08 pm »
Really struggling to work out what role Michael Caine will inevitably play here.

I assume it's the world-weary grandad of one of the soldiers who fought in the first war or something.

His name isn't in the IMDB for it, but it seems far-fetched to think he won't rock up here somewhere.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline TheFlyingScouseman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice day
« Reply #637 on: August 5, 2016, 06:14:53 pm »
Really hope he nails the historical accuracy, otherwise this is the perfect type of film for people to rip into him. For example shoving in a worthless love story around a historical event like Michael Bay did with Pearl Harbour.

But I trust him to do a great job as always.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #638 on: August 5, 2016, 08:03:00 pm »
Really struggling to work out what role Michael Caine will inevitably play here.

I assume it's the world-weary grandad of one of the soldiers who fought in the first war or something.

His name isn't in the IMDB for it, but it seems far-fetched to think he won't rock up here somewhere.

Maybe the captain of one of the small boats that went across the channel to rescue soldiers.

My betting the Medway Queen that made 7 trips

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_ships_of_Dunkirk
« Last Edit: August 5, 2016, 08:05:30 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #639 on: August 17, 2017, 05:12:54 am »
Saw Dunkirk - quite the visual spectacular.

Nolan got paid over 100 Million in all.

Continually on 11,420.