Author Topic: A Christopher Nolan Thread  (Read 50838 times)

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
Re: Interstellar (Christopher Nolan's next film).
« Reply #400 on: November 21, 2014, 04:04:35 am »
I agree.

I sympathise with people who love a movie to bits, and can't understand how others don't feel the same way. I think we've all used the "they just don't get it" line. I quite vehemently defended Lost in Translation back in the day, when I was young and naive and it spoke to me in a way no movie had before (plenty have since). It's pretty frustrating.

But the Interstellar defence has gotten personal a good deal more than necessary. And really very condescending, to the point where I wonder if it's actually trolling.

I will defend The Rock/Con Air/Face/Off to anyone that dares besmirch their greatness, but yeah the "you aren't smart enough to get it" gimmick is weak at best.

Especially when it is manifested in huge reaches in explaining the plot. Affleck really only exists for the bookcase scene, saying that his character isn't terrible and worthless, he just seems that way because Murph is the favourite is... a leap.
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #401 on: November 21, 2014, 06:41:58 am »
Eh it moved you, it didn't move me. Different stroke for different folks.

I enjoyed it as a straight up brainless blockbuster with loud noises and such. The more you think about it the worse it gets.

QUANTUM PHYSICS THROUGH MORSE CODE. MORSE FUCKING CODE.
It wasn't a film about quantum physics though, it was just the window dressing for the real story.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Pelé as a Comedian

• The seeker of the True Cockroach. Forgetful.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #402 on: November 21, 2014, 06:54:16 am »
I agree.

I sympathise with people who love a movie to bits, and can't understand how others don't feel the same way. I think we've all used the "they just don't get it" line. I quite vehemently defended Lost in Translation back in the day, when I was young and naive and it spoke to me in a way no movie had before (plenty have since). It's pretty frustrating.

But the Interstellar defence has gotten personal a good deal more than necessary. And really very condescending, to the point where I wonder if it's actually trolling.

well criticizing LiT and Interstellar are two different things. the cinema experience IS a subjective thing and LiT is a perfectly executed piece of film.
let me count the ways i love it:

1. has the greatest intro pan of all time, Scar-Jo's butt reprazent!
2. can't go wrong watching Bill Murray puttering about in Tokyo
3. great indie rock soundtrack

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #403 on: November 21, 2014, 06:57:06 am »
It wasn't a film about quantum physics though, it was just the window dressing for the real story.

I mean if you want to just take out all the stuff that sucks about movies in order to condense them into something less awful you can, but that's risky.

Con Air is also about a father coming home to his daughter. To be fair, nothing sucks about Con Air though.
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #404 on: November 21, 2014, 08:42:11 am »
I will defend The Rock/Con Air/Face/Off to anyone that dares besmirch their greatness, but yeah the "you aren't smart enough to get it" gimmick is weak at best.

Especially when it is manifested in huge reaches in explaining the plot. Affleck really only exists for the bookcase scene, saying that his character isn't terrible and worthless, he just seems that way because Murph is the favourite is... a leap.

There aren't any huge reaches to explain the plot. Some stuff is left open for interpretation as a reflective, philosophical, point - much like 2001's ending - but the plot/story itself is fairly tight. The beauty of it is appearing all over the place and yet it packs nicely at the end for the story it is actually telling.

I also don't get the Affleck gripe. It seems to suggest that every character in a movie should have a full and realised role in a story when this is almost never the case. Different characters have varying levels of importance to the story and that doesn't change because they're blood-related to the main protagonist.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 08:44:39 am by Halcyon Lissome »
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #405 on: November 21, 2014, 01:40:21 pm »
I honestly got bored and wanted it to finish. I can't say that about many Nolan films. It wasn't a bad film by any means, I just didn't enjoy it particularly.

Memento, The Dark Knight and Inception would all make a top 50 films list for me, so this was indeed a disappointment. McConaughey was good though.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #406 on: November 21, 2014, 03:17:04 pm »
I also don't get the Affleck gripe. It seems to suggest that every character in a movie should have a full and realised role in a story when this is almost never the case. Different characters have varying levels of importance to the story and that doesn't change because they're blood-related to the main protagonist.

He was pretty clearly only there for tension while Murph is in the room. His entire character is meaningless before and after that scene. How do you not see that?

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #407 on: November 21, 2014, 03:27:49 pm »
He kept the farm and kept the room. That was quite important.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: November 21, 2014, 04:14:15 pm »
He kept the farm and kept the room. That was quite important.

Affleck character was also involved in one of the most effective scenes of the film, the diary transmissions when Coop comes back from the Wave planet. but i agree with the others that its like turning off a faucet after that. he only pops up to punch Topher inexplicably, scowl and try and look menacing.

also. how pointless was the Topher Grace character really ? i'm guessing that since they needed Murph to do a lot of exposition they couldn't just have her blather on to no one on screen hence enter vapid good listener love interest character.

oh, and why was Coop in the wormhole when he entered Gargantua? and why/how was he able to appear and "shake hands" with Amelia? what was the purpose ? and why did no one freak out about that on the spaceship?

ps. how come the future humans are limited to affecting gravity in one room and one room only? why can't their tesseract affect it everywhere?  that aspect i find a bit dumb / contrived.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 04:18:16 pm by Pelé as a Comedian »

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #409 on: November 21, 2014, 04:29:12 pm »
Eh it moved you, it didn't move me. Different stroke for different folks.

I enjoyed it as a straight up brainless blockbuster with loud noises and such. The more you think about it the worse it gets.

QUANTUM PHYSICS THROUGH MORSE CODE. MORSE FUCKING CODE.

Absolutely..... it's insane.
Oh well, it takes all sorts I suppose.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #410 on: November 21, 2014, 04:32:14 pm »

Yeah.... the real story was

The omnipotent humans need Matthew McConaughey to communicate the secret of love to his daughter through library book code in order to save humanity

That's much better...  ;D
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #411 on: November 21, 2014, 05:15:37 pm »

Yeah.... the real story was

The omnipotent humans need Matthew McConaughey to communicate the secret of love to his daughter through library book code in order to save humanity

That's much better...  ;D

Football

Bunch of fools pay crazy money to watch 22 men they've never spoken to before kick a ball around a field for 90 minutes and spend the next couple days moping around if the 11 men they prefers don't win

You can take anything out of context and make it look stupid
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #412 on: November 21, 2014, 05:39:13 pm »
I think once a movie is termed sci-fi, expectations are built in such a way that it's all going to be about science, exploration and the typical drama that makes a sci-fi movie, well a sci-fi movie.

Intersteller while couldn't do complete justice to the story (my opinion) it did however broke that norm of a sci-fi movie being all savvy story-wise, just because it will be seen as a sci-fi movie. Which was a bold move from Nolan. It paid off to a certain extent but people who have fallen into that pit hole of expectation from a typical sci-fi movie aren't able get the satisfaction they thought they would get after watching the movie ( Irrespective of who the director is).
"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #413 on: November 21, 2014, 10:08:33 pm »
Finally saw it tonight and contrary to popular opinion I really enjoyed it, yes it's very grand as a visual feast but a few of the criticisms I've read are nitpicking and overly fussy, the test will be how I feel about it on 2nd viewing, although I do walk out the cinema easily pleased most of the time.

The main thing that bothered me was McConaughy's ridiculous spray tan ;D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 10:10:50 pm by Bunter »

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #414 on: November 21, 2014, 10:23:52 pm »
Finally saw it tonight and contrary to popular opinion I really enjoyed it, yes it's very grand as a visual feast but a few of the criticisms I've read are nitpicking and overly fussy, the test will be how I feel about it on 2nd viewing, although I do walk out the cinema easily pleased most of the time.

I think everyone enjoyed it whilst also acknowledging how ridiculous it all was. I certainly did. But masterpiece? No.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: November 21, 2014, 10:34:44 pm »

know what you mean re the tan but then he's supposed to be a farmer.

i was genuinely entertained and thrilled (for the most part ie with certain reservations) up until the last 10-15 min. i was so annoyed with how Nolan concluded things however that it left a bad taste in my brain coming out of the theater.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 11:45:01 pm by Pelé as a Comedian »

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #416 on: November 22, 2014, 12:56:43 am »
For the last 30 to 20 minutes I was just like "What the fuck?"
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: November 22, 2014, 07:18:47 am »
Spoiler

Just seen this.

Thought it was ok overall, a decent entertainer, nothing more. Some of the visuals were fantastic, but man that speech from Hathaway about love + dimensions when deciding which planet to go to ..... wtf. I dunno, overall it felt like one of those movies that you remember for a while, then forget about it. Probably in a week. Very few of Nolan's movies (the little I've watched) fall under that category for me.

[close]

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: November 22, 2014, 08:17:57 am »
I loved it for 95% of it, it was intense and the 2 and half hours flew by for me. Yeah the Hathaway speech was a little cheesy, the music a little overbearing at times and the ending a little... unfulfilling.

Though I feel when you're dealing with high concepts, complex physics and things that we as humans have not fully understood or solved yet, then I feel a director/writer should have leeway to interpret ideas in the way they want, the science isn't going to satisfy everyone.

Spoiler
Answer me though, if the human race had advanced so far as to fully understand quantam mechanics and harness the power of gravity, then why is it necessary to save the race in the first place, if they had already managed to advance that far?
[close]
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 08:25:05 am by OneTouchFooty »

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #419 on: November 22, 2014, 12:06:01 pm »

Spoiler
Answer me though, if the human race had advanced so far as to fully understand quantam mechanics and harness the power of gravity, then why is it necessary to save the race in the first place, if they had already managed to advance that far?
[close]

Spoiler
It's a common theme in many Sci Fi movies/tv shows not unique to Interstellar

Something in the future causes something in the present to happen, but in order for that future to take place, the thing in the present has to happen.

I think the correct term is predestination paradox or causality loop but I may be wrong

When you think of time as more of a ball rather than linear it makes sense (stolen from Dr Who)
[close]
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #420 on: November 22, 2014, 12:35:30 pm »
Spoiler
It's a common theme in many Sci Fi movies/tv shows not unique to Interstellar

Something in the future causes something in the present to happen, but in order for that future to take place, the thing in the present has to happen.

I think the correct term is predestination paradox or causality loop but I may be wrong

When you think of time as more of a ball rather than linear it makes sense (stolen from Dr Who)
[close]

Spoiler
It's the bootstrap paradox, its a common sci-fi trope, even if it doesn't make sense.
[close]

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: November 22, 2014, 01:34:14 pm »
Spoiler
It's the bootstrap paradox, its a common sci-fi trope, even if it doesn't make sense.
[close]

Ah yeah that's the one

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #422 on: November 22, 2014, 11:22:46 pm »
Just got back from this. I'm going to have a read through the rest of the comments as I haven't yet but a few quick observations...

Spoiler

Really good fun, and we were still talking about it an hour or so later. Definitely worth seeing.

Some fantastic emotion, seeing the messages from the previous 23 years was really thoughtful. Ace soundtrack helped with that. Fantastically shot too and a good story.

Really liked the robots, they were a highlight, and the early scenes on earth. Love John Lithgow, though his role was limited. Massive red!

I won't bother getting into the science because, at the end of the day, it's basically a sci-fi film. However, I think it runs the risk of being taken too seriously (by those making the film making repeated comments about the veracity of the science involved) that will obviously lead to more serious criticism.

My only real critique is that there were occasions when I actually laughed in the cinema, which punctured the emotion and drama. Some of that was the dialogue, some was the plot. Namely:

- He didn't seem that bothered that he was leaving his daughter in floods of tears, alone and refusing to speak to him, when he knew the risk that he'd never see her again. Only when he was in the black hole did he get frustrated by it.

- Her deciphering the morse code of what was clearly phenomenally difficult physics seems pretty implausible. It also seemed stupid that he send the message 'STAY' when he knew it wouldn't work.

- Why didn't they send the robot to carry the scientists around on the water planet, or indeed the other planet, until she was in trouble. Then, why the f*ck did the beardy astronaut loiter in the doorway of the ship until he was swept away?

- The most bothering though was the ice planet. Two HUGE questions - why would Matt Damon have attacked them all, particularly when he was well aware that MM was planning on going back to earth anyway? Why not just admit to being weak at the start - which would have been frustrating but probably understandable? I know the effect of being alone would be dramatic, but the other astronaut was alone for 23 years and just seemed withdrawn at the end rather than completely insane, particularly for someone who was supposed to be such a genius.

- Worse though - how far did they walk/roll/fall before Damon launched his headbutt assault?! Far enough so that it took AH a LONG time to get there in a spaceship, but at the same time Matt D walked all the way back to the base and stole the ship?

- And of course the line "That's impossible." "No, it's necessary." Doesn't make it any less impossible.

- I do think it would have been better if MM had died. I don't understand how he ended up back floating outside of Saturn (with JUST enough oxygen left). If they future people/whoever could send him anywhere, why not send him back to earth?

- No-one seemed very excited to see him, given that he would be basically an international celebrity megahero who went through a wormhole and saved the world. They treated him like an idiot in the hospital despite acknowledging he was 124 (despite physically being in his 40s), and his daughter didn't seem that bothered spending a few minutes with the man she'd waited a lifetime for. Wouldn't she want to hear all about his trip?!

At times it seemed like Nolan had watched a lot of new Doctor Who. A time loop and a long passionate speech about love saving the day.

[close]
Just a few moments that made me laugh/shake my head and take me out of the film which was a shame.

7.5/10. My mate described it as 'a great parody of a sci-fi film' which I think is a good reflection on the whole.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 11:46:17 pm by JerseyKopite »

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: November 23, 2014, 09:50:20 am »
I have refrained from hole poking, as they are bound to be there, and I can usually overlook them as its fiction anyway. My main criticism was the pacing; still think with tighter editing it could've been a very good film.

That said I wonder why did they need rocket to get off earth while their craft is seemingly capable of getting off planets with 130% gravity?
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: November 23, 2014, 11:19:27 am »

That said I wonder why did they need rocket to get off earth while their craft is seemingly capable of getting off planets with 130% gravity?

Save the fuel in the craft for use in space?

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: November 23, 2014, 07:06:57 pm »
I have refrained from hole poking, as they are bound to be there, and I can usually overlook them as its fiction anyway. My main criticism was the pacing; still think with tighter editing it could've been a very good film.

They had to get a much bigger ship, filled with materials for surviving in space and populating a new planet (plan B), as well as some small craft, out of earth's atmosphere.  On the other planet they had a much smaller, more aerodynamic ship with less cargo so they didn't need as much force.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #426 on: November 23, 2014, 09:46:40 pm »
They had to get a much bigger ship, filled with materials for surviving in space and populating a new planet (plan B), as well as some small craft, out of earth's atmosphere.  On the other planet they had a much smaller, more aerodynamic ship with less cargo so they didn't need as much force.
Spoiler
i think that the space ship he has his farm on at the end is one of the ships they wanted to send into space.  Enormous things, that's why they couldn't be launched without some sort of gravity warp.

Not that it matters, it wasn't a film about space.
[close]
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: November 24, 2014, 03:14:00 am »
Just watched it in IMAX, but cannot formulate my opinion clearly. Definitely better than Gravity for me, but I didn't like Gravity in the first place.

During the movie, several times I thought "just how long is this movie?" It turns out, nearly 3 hours long. Put it this way, if anybody proposed to watch it the second time for free in IMAX, I would refuse. It's not one of the movies that I would bother watching 2 times.

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #428 on: November 24, 2014, 08:27:38 am »

I'll try to answer some of your questions.

Spoiler
- He didn't seem that bothered that he was leaving his daughter in floods of tears, alone and refusing to speak to him, when he knew the risk that he'd never see her again. Only when he was in the black hole did he get frustrated by it.

Huh? He was shattered when he left, crying his eyes out as he drove away. It was one of the more moving scenes in the movie. Did you miss it?

- Her deciphering the morse code of what was clearly phenomenally difficult physics seems pretty implausible. It also seemed stupid that he send the message 'STAY' when he knew it wouldn't work.

People have queried this but I think haven't thought about this properly. When Coop initially spells out STAY he doesn't know what is going on and is doing so out of desperation. It is only later that he realises what the tesseract is and how he can help the world in which he tries to help the events go along as they did (NASA coordinates, etc).

Not sure why the morse code is implausible? Is spelling out complex formula in morse difficult? Probably very difficult. But not implausible, just time consuming - of which, he has a lot of.

- Why didn't they send the robot to carry the scientists around on the water planet, or indeed the other planet, until she was in trouble. Then, why the f*ck did the beardy astronaut loiter in the doorway of the ship until he was swept away?

The robots were picking up the wreckage to take back into the ship. Although I kind of agree with how stupidly Doyle gets washed away. Dumb but a small gripe. I guess it goes with the theme they had about Newton's 3rd law - leaving something behind to go forward.

- The most bothering though was the ice planet. Two HUGE questions - why would Matt Damon have attacked them all, particularly when he was well aware that MM was planning on going back to earth anyway? Why not just admit to being weak at the start - which would have been frustrating but probably understandable? I know the effect of being alone would be dramatic, but the other astronaut was alone for 23 years and just seemed withdrawn at the end rather than completely insane, particularly for someone who was supposed to be such a genius.

Because Damon/Mann had lied and didn't want them to know he faked the data. He wanted to take the ship and maroon them. He had passed the point of pretending to care about the human race and had acknowledged that he was a coward and only cared for his own survival. And that's the juxtaposition with Romilly. While Mann put forth this visage as a paragon of virtue and self-sacrifice - "the best of us"; he was inherently a narcissist and a sociopath. Romilly on the other hand didn't pretend to have any of these stated virtues, but was virtuous all the same.

Throughout the movie there are comparisons between a feeling and a knowledge and a refusal to put all the virtues on those that are from the latter or purport to represent the latter.

- Worse though - how far did they walk/roll/fall before Damon launched his headbutt assault?! Far enough so that it took AH a LONG time to get there in a spaceship, but at the same time Matt D walked all the way back to the base and stole the ship?

It didn't take a long time, though? Maybe I'm mistaken, but I am pretty sure where Amelia was and where the base was (or at least where Romilly was trying to fix KIPP) were two different locations. I'm pretty sure that was the case. And Mann was headed to foil Romilly, not to go to where Amelia was.

- And of course the line "That's impossible." "No, it's necessary." Doesn't make it any less impossible.

But the point was it wasn't impossible. TARS, while a robot with advanced AI, is not the determiner of possibility.

- I do think it would have been better if MM had died. I don't understand how he ended up back floating outside of Saturn (with JUST enough oxygen left). If they future people/whoever could send him anywhere, why not send him back to earth?

For one, the story is not about MM dying. The whole thrust is the survival of the human race and the spirit that we have for that aim. It's a celebration for that.

And why would "They" send him back to Earth? Everyone has left Earth because it is no longer suitable to sustain life.

- No-one seemed very excited to see him, given that he would be basically an international celebrity megahero who went through a wormhole and saved the world. They treated him like an idiot in the hospital despite acknowledging he was 124 (despite physically being in his 40s), and his daughter didn't seem that bothered spending a few minutes with the man she'd waited a lifetime for. Wouldn't she want to hear all about his trip?!

No one treated him like an idiot and those that knew him revered him. But ultimately he's someone who has come from the past to the future and would have a huge gap in knowledge of what has happened in terms of technology, etc. I think what is somewhat clear is that while Murph maintained that her dad helped her out; it wasn't entirely believed. In their world, the megahero is Murph.

[close]

Just watched it in IMAX, but cannot formulate my opinion clearly. Definitely better than Gravity for me, but I didn't like Gravity in the first place.

During the movie, several times I thought "just how long is this movie?" It turns out, nearly 3 hours long. Put it this way, if anybody proposed to watch it the second time for free in IMAX, I would refuse. It's not one of the movies that I would bother watching 2 times.

I feel the complete opposite; wish it was longer! Going to see it for the 5th time tonight. I keep taking people who've not seen it with me :p
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: November 25, 2014, 11:59:56 am »
I feel the complete opposite; wish it was longer! Going to see it for the 5th time tonight. I keep taking people who've not seen it with me :p

you put your money (and time) where your mouth is, i'll give you that

ps. you wouldn't happen to be an Objectivist would you ?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 03:29:28 pm by Pelé as a Comedian »

Offline RichardM

• should be revising rather than whining on here
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: November 25, 2014, 12:53:38 pm »
I went to go and see it the day it came out, due to my best mate being so excited about it. I'll be honest, I'd seen the trailers and I wasn't that bothered about seeing it. I'm a big Nolan fan but this just didn't really grab me.

I couldn't have been more wrong. Those 3 hours were some of the most emotional and intense I've ever spent inside a cinema. The pace of the film is perfect, it fuses with the music into one giant crescendo, and I left feeling exhausted and in awe.

I can honestly say this is up there with my favourite films of all time. I'm a big nerd and I loved how they approached all the Sci-Fi elements. It may seem ridiculously far-fetched but with the theories we believe in currently, it's all achievable. Albeit not with our current technology or knowledge.

The music. Oh my word the music. Find me a better score for a film please, there can't be too many contenders. Hans Zimmer is a visionary genius and I have so much respect for him, but this was a level above anything he's done before (in my opinion) it just works so perfectly with the pace of the film and every piece is beyond beautiful.

I don't really have anything negative to say about this film, other than the ending which I wasn't too impressed with. I really really really recommend you go and see it. Some of the concepts in the film are hard to grasp, and that will put a few people off but it's so worth watching.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #431 on: November 25, 2014, 03:49:14 pm »
I went to go and see it the day it came out, due to my best mate being so excited about it. I'll be honest, I'd seen the trailers and I wasn't that bothered about seeing it. I'm a big Nolan fan but this just didn't really grab me.

I couldn't have been more wrong. Those 3 hours were some of the most emotional and intense I've ever spent inside a cinema. The pace of the film is perfect, it fuses with the music into one giant crescendo, and I left feeling exhausted and in awe.

indeed, i would feel the same if it weren't for the ending

The music. Oh my word the music. Find me a better score for a film please, there can't be too many contenders. Hans Zimmer is a visionary genius and I have so much respect for him, but this was a level above anything he's done before (in my opinion) it just works so perfectly with the pace of the film and every piece is beyond beautiful.

it's a great soundtrack to be sure, yet i was much more taken by the Gravity soundtrack (anyone else think the country music played by Clooney might be a nod to Dark Star?)

also did not help that i found myself thinking of the Solaris soundtrack every time i heard the organ. and upon further reflection i also feel the use of organ reminiscent of the Akira OST (which i'd say was a better score for a film, and on that note the Blade Runner OST is unparalleled).

I don't really have anything negative to say about this film, other than the ending which I wasn't too impressed with. I really really really recommend you go and see it. Some of the concepts in the film are hard to grasp, and that will put a few people off but it's so worth watching.

yeah, about that ending, really felt like having the rug pulled out from under me, kinda suckerpunched the whole movie experience for me.

Offline litliper

• Legacy Fan
  • Does anybody wanna buy a country?
« Reply #432 on: November 25, 2014, 04:13:44 pm »
yeah, about that ending, really felt like having the rug pulled out from under me, kinda suckerpunched the whole movie experience for me.

My exact feelings.
"My country is the world, and my religion to do good." (Thomas Paine)

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #433 on: November 25, 2014, 04:18:10 pm »
My exact feelings.

Me too. Regardless, it was probably the best cinema experience I've ever had - the former two thirds of the movie were very, very good.

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: November 25, 2014, 04:24:42 pm »
When you say the ending ruined the whole film for you.. are we talking about:

Spoiler
Hospital scene with daughter or the bookshelf..? Or flying off to the new habitable planet?
[close]

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #435 on: November 25, 2014, 04:43:52 pm »

Spoiler
Hospital scene with daughter or the bookshelf..? Or flying off to the new habitable planet?
[close]

both, working in tandem

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #436 on: November 25, 2014, 05:44:49 pm »
both, working in tandem

Can agree about the daughter scene bothering me, only slightly though, apart from that I don't know what people wanted/expected.

Reminds of people complaining about
Spoiler
not seeing him training for the mission and going from saying his goodbyes to being on the ship, as if some Rocky-esq montage scene was required.
[close]
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 05:47:53 pm by Bunter »

Offline RichardM

• should be revising rather than whining on here
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #437 on: November 25, 2014, 05:48:06 pm »

Spoiler
[close]

I'm not sure if spoilers will work on my phone so I'll do it this way.

I had no problem with the second one you mentioned but the first and third left me with a slightly sour taste, has to be said.

Offline litliper

• Legacy Fan
  • Does anybody wanna buy a country?
« Reply #438 on: November 25, 2014, 05:54:08 pm »
Can agree about the daughter scene bothering me, only slightly though, apart from that I don't know what people wanted/expected.

Everything onwards from him entering the black hole until the end credits was nonsensical sentimental bullshit. Nolan's efforts to give humans somekind of a special place in the universe by using our love for one another as some sort of a driving force rather than just accept our place as miniscule dusts of sand trapped by our limits in the infinity that is space was extremely stupid. It felt more for me personally as an insult to my intellegence rather than anything else. The way it was used to "tie everything together" was at best laughable.
"My country is the world, and my religion to do good." (Thomas Paine)

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: November 25, 2014, 05:58:27 pm »

Reminds of people complaining about
Spoiler
not seeing him training for the mission and going from saying his goodbyes to being on the ship, as if some Rocky-esq montage scene was required.
[close]

it's already been mentioned here more often than once.
quick fix: the movie to end when Coop exits the blackhole, anything after that is superfluous as far as i'm concerned.
best case scenario: if the Nolans had recorded more film and made a LOTR/Kill Bill kinda thing where they released it in two parts to better convey their story.
even at 3 hours its still too compact/rushed/uneven pacing at times, as evidenced by the complaints you refer to in your spoiler for instance.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 06:03:09 pm by Pelé as a Comedian »