Author Topic: A Christopher Nolan Thread  (Read 50846 times)

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
Re: Interstellar (Christopher Nolan's next film).
« Reply #440 on: November 25, 2014, 06:01:14 pm »
I went to go and see it the day it came out, due to my best mate being so excited about it. I'll be honest, I'd seen the trailers and I wasn't that bothered about seeing it. I'm a big Nolan fan but this just didn't really grab me.

I couldn't have been more wrong. Those 3 hours were some of the most emotional and intense I've ever spent inside a cinema. The pace of the film is perfect, it fuses with the music into one giant crescendo, and I left feeling exhausted and in awe.

I can honestly say this is up there with my favourite films of all time. I'm a big nerd and I loved how they approached all the Sci-Fi elements. It may seem ridiculously far-fetched but with the theories we believe in currently, it's all achievable. Albeit not with our current technology or knowledge.

The music. Oh my word the music. Find me a better score for a film please, there can't be too many contenders. Hans Zimmer is a visionary genius and I have so much respect for him, but this was a level above anything he's done before (in my opinion) it just works so perfectly with the pace of the film and every piece is beyond beautiful.

I don't really have anything negative to say about this film, other than the ending which I wasn't too impressed with. I really really really recommend you go and see it. Some of the concepts in the film are hard to grasp, and that will put a few people off but it's so worth watching.

What would you say is your top 10/20 films?

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #441 on: November 25, 2014, 06:03:30 pm »
Everything onwards from him entering the black hole until the end credits was nonsensical sentimental bullshit. Nolan's efforts to give humans somekind of a special place in the universe by using our love for one another as some sort of a driving force rather than just accept our place as miniscule dusts of sand trapped by our limits in the infinity that is space was extremely stupid. It felt more for me personally as an insult to my intellegence rather than anything else. The way it was used to "tie everything together" was at best laughable.
Never has an icon been more fitting!
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #442 on: November 25, 2014, 07:38:53 pm »
Everything onwards from him entering the black hole until the end credits was nonsensical sentimental bullshit. Nolan's efforts to give humans somekind of a special place in the universe by using our love for one another as some sort of a driving force rather than just accept our place as miniscule dusts of sand trapped by our limits in the infinity that is space was extremely stupid. It felt more for me personally as an insult to my intellegence rather than anything else. The way it was used to "tie everything together" was at best laughable.

Makes me laugh as Nolan always gets accused of lacking warmth or sentiment and then he makes wondefully emotional cinema like that and is derided for it. Completely disagree about it insulting the audiences intelligence, maybe the cold-hearted couldnt derive any pleasure from it and would of preferred them to die in the black hole and have the end credits roll but I found the majority of the film engaging and a fantastic spectacle to watch. I'm not saying its a masterpiece but it's why I go the cinema, to be enthralled and entertained. 

« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 07:57:06 pm by Bunter »

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #443 on: November 25, 2014, 07:45:38 pm »
I`ve been re-watching the Nolan Batman triology. On some level I hope he`ll make another one with Bale in it in a few years.  Christian, not Gareth.

Offline litliper

• Legacy Fan
  • Does anybody wanna buy a country?
« Reply #444 on: November 25, 2014, 07:49:25 pm »
Makes me laugh as Nolan always gets accused of lacking warmth or sentiment

He may have been accused of it...but never by me.
"My country is the world, and my religion to do good." (Thomas Paine)

Offline RichardM

• should be revising rather than whining on here
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #445 on: November 25, 2014, 10:11:49 pm »
What would you say is your top 10/20 films?

That's a very tough one!

In no particular order:

Interstellar
The Raid (In my mind, one of the greatest fighting movies ever made)
Lord of the Rings (I'll include the whole trilogy in one spot)
Se7en
The Green Mile
Gladiator
Warrior
Saw (Only the first one, I didn't really enjoy any of the others)
Labyrinth
V for Vendetta

There are a lot of classics I haven't seen (I'm only 21) so the list is skewed towards more recent years, and if you asked me again tomorrow it'd probably be slightly different but those are arguably the top 10 films I've seen.

Offline Pelé as a Comedian

• The seeker of the True Cockroach. Forgetful.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #446 on: November 25, 2014, 10:57:31 pm »
That's a very tough one!

In no particular order:

The Raid (In my mind, one of the greatest fighting movies ever made)

great call which i agree with (Roger Ebert can go suck it). if you're a fan of kung fu films i recommend Dao / The Blade wholeheartedly. in my top 3 list.

Saw (Only the first one, I didn't really enjoy any of the others)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ccenFp_3kq8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ccenFp_3kq8</a>

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #447 on: November 25, 2014, 11:03:00 pm »
On some level I hope he`ll make another one with Bale in it in a few years. Gareth.

He could do a Planet of the Apes reboot.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #448 on: November 27, 2014, 11:49:14 am »
Seen a lot of talk about Sunshine, is it worth a watch? I had never heard of it until this thread.
The first hour is great, despite the idea of 'rebooting' the sun being quite silly. Unfortunately it turns into a completely different film in the last act, and because of that, it is quite dissappointing as a whole. I still think it's worth seeing for the first part of it though.

Interstellar is too, but I didn't particulalry like it. Difficult to put into words in another language why that is, but I found it hard to engage in the story and the characters. At times it's way too cheesy (AH's speech about love, also Caine's acting in his final scene), silly (I just couldn't buy the whole bookshelf scene at all, and the whole Mann episode was just awful - could see it a mile away with the references to 'the best of us' and how he acted when they arrived) and overblown (the music is partly to blame for that - even though I probably would enjoy hearing it in isolation, it was overbearing in some scenes).

That said, I still enjoyed the experience and never thought it was long, but I must say I expected more. Don't know why that is though, maybe because the Prestige is one of my favourite films in recent years.

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #449 on: November 28, 2014, 09:17:02 pm »
you put your money (and time) where your mouth is, i'll give you that

ps. you wouldn't happen to be an Objectivist would you ?

Objectivist? I don't really subscribe to any philosophy or life-view but I guess I try to be as objective as I can in certain respects. Why do you ask?

Also, I don't get the objections re the ending. It was how the story had to finish. It needed a solution, you just didn't know how it would be achieved. That Nolan managed to tie in real science, the edge of our knowledge, and weave something so inspiring is what for me makes the movie.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 09:18:59 pm by Halcyon Lissome »
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #450 on: November 28, 2014, 09:50:14 pm »
Objectivist? I don't really subscribe to any philosophy or life-view but I guess I try to be as objective as I can in certain respects. Why do you ask?

that would be a straight no then since you do not associate the word Objectivism with it's author; Ayn Rand. i ask because in my opinion her brand of literature is quite epic, bombastic and relies on raw, heavy emotion while also having some highfalutin aspirations. in short i assumed your literary taste was akin to your taste in film.

Also, I don't get the objections re the ending. It was how the story had to finish. It needed a solution, you just didn't know how it would be achieved. That Nolan managed to tie in real science, the edge of our knowledge, and weave something so inspiring is what for me makes the movie.

well for me i'll just repeat and stand by my prior assertion; if the film had ended with Coop coming out of the blackhole it'd be an upgrade. everything, and i mean everything, that happens after that is superfluous as far as i'm concerned. you don't need the reunion, you don't need to see his him scamper happily away after Amelia with his robot sidekick.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 09:55:41 pm by Pelé as a Comedian »

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #451 on: November 29, 2014, 07:17:13 am »
that would be a straight no then since you do not associate the word Objectivism with it's author; Ayn Rand. i ask because in my opinion her brand of literature is quite epic, bombastic and relies on raw, heavy emotion while also having some highfalutin aspirations. in short i assumed your literary taste was akin to your taste in film.

I'm aware of Rand but objectivism existed prior to her so I didn't automatically assume you're referring to her.

At the same time I have to say while I may not be all-in on her philosophy I follow a lot of that logic when it comes to politics or economics.

well for me i'll just repeat and stand by my prior assertion; if the film had ended with Coop coming out of the blackhole it'd be an upgrade. everything, and i mean everything, that happens after that is superfluous as far as i'm concerned. you don't need the reunion, you don't need to see his him scamper happily away after Amelia with his robot sidekick.

Fair enough.

IMO if the film ends when Coop comes out of the black hole we don't know if it worked or what happens next. I think Nolan set out in the beginning to make a film to get people interested in the science and space travel, much like he was in his youth. In that sense, it compels him to find a solution and not give a wholly abstract ending. I also think it adds to the emotional heft of the movie to see a reunion; as well as a reminder that even though the film's plot has been culminated, the problem has been solved; in this film, just as in life, we have to move on to the next adventure and never get comfortable. You wouldn't get that sense if it ended when he comes out of the black hole. It's a possible ending, but it isn't a very uplifting or motivating ending - which is what Nolan intended.

Also, I don't think that's the last 3rd of the movie; it's more like the last 10 minutes of it.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 07:18:52 am by Halcyon Lissome »

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #452 on: November 29, 2014, 08:12:44 pm »
I have just watched the whole Batman triology again and although it`s based on a graphic novel/cartoon, it`s still some of my favourite films ever. 

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #453 on: November 30, 2014, 01:06:58 am »
I'm aware of Rand but objectivism existed prior to her so I didn't automatically assume you're referring to her.

At the same time I have to say while I may not be all-in on her philosophy I follow a lot of that logic when it comes to politics or economics.

well there is objectivism and then there is Objectivism. and you're up for her take on politics or economics apparently.
fair enough, myself i won't write her off either, she had some interesting insights and comments on those, but i was referring to her fiction.

Fair enough.

IMO if the film ends when Coop comes out of the black hole we don't know if it worked or what happens next.

per se yes, we dont know, but thats a bonus as far as im concerned.
2001 doesnt attempt to convince you of anything, neither does Solaris (though its much more of "an answer" to 2001 than Interstellar is IMO).
"We have no need for other worlds. We need mirrors." - Stanislaw Lem

I think Nolan set out in the beginning to make a film to get people interested in the science and space travel.. it adds to the emotional heft of the movie to see a reunion

im already invested, the ending subtracted from that interest for me, didn't add to it

as well as a reminder that even though the film's plot has been culminated, the problem has been solved; in this film, just as in life, we have to move on to the next adventure and never get comfortable. You wouldn't get that sense if it ended when he comes out of the black hole. It's a possible ending, but it isn't a very uplifting or motivating ending - which is what Nolan intended.

assuming the whole tesseract thing is real then Coop and Murph did save the world.
Coop can't better that as far as im concerned, making a Santa Claus-esque visit to his daughter just to give her a pat on the cheek is a step down for me.
Also, I don't think that's the last 3rd of the movie; it's more like the last 10 minutes of it.

quick fix: cut the movie at the last 10-15 min
better solution : make it into a LotR/Kill Bill thing where you record more material, release it in 2 parts to flesh it out better

Offline gritsvanilla

• Legacy Fan
  • A Light Souffle With Razor Blades
« Reply #454 on: November 30, 2014, 02:24:07 am »
Another film Pele, are you sure. I'm getting pretty tired of these directors who are unable to lay down their ideas and philosophies within the confines of one tightly edited movie, why does every bleeding big name director have to constantly make films that are invariably over the 2 and a half hour mark, Scorsese, Nolan, Jackson, Tarantino etc i mean did The Wolf Of Wall Street, Django Unchained, King Kong or The Batman Trilogy need to be so damn long? I don't think so, in an awful lot of modern day epics i find the pacing and editing to be really sloppy and self indulgent.

As for Interstellar, no thanks i'm done with Nolan, i find him pretentious, condescending and smug, having sat through both Inception and The Prestige quite recently i'll wait till Interstellar comes around on TV before checking it out. Other than his debut Following and parts of Batman Begins Nolan's filmography just leaves me cold. Who knows maybe Interstellar is the film to finally convince me.

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #455 on: November 30, 2014, 02:11:19 pm »
well there is objectivism and then there is Objectivism. and you're up for her take on politics or economics apparently.
fair enough, myself i won't write her off either, she had some interesting insights and comments on those, but i was referring to her fiction.

I'm not that well-read on her to be honest, I might have to read her books I guess.

Spoiler
per se yes, we dont know, but thats a bonus as far as im concerned.
2001 doesnt attempt to convince you of anything, neither does Solaris (though its much more of "an answer" to 2001 than Interstellar is IMO).
"We have no need for other worlds. We need mirrors." - Stanislaw Lem

And that's the crux of the matter. The more you hear of Nolan in the interviews and what went on around the making of the script, the movie was to go one step more than 2001. It's the 'answer' to 2001.

im already invested, the ending subtracted from that interest for me, didn't add to it

I don't mean invested in terms of wanting to see the movie; I mean in terms of seeing the movie and being inspired by the message of it and pursuing science/space. The movie doesn't try to be open-ended or vague (like 2001). It's saying: we can get our own answer and this is how fantastic that answer can be. I'd have to say that I'm well-aware of the science in the movie; but I definitely get a tingle seeing Coop's hunch come true and actually affect the human race. To see him then go forth and not rely on that triumph; but move on. Makes me wish I were a scientist! LOL. I can remember as a child how interested I was in dinosaurs after Jurassic Park - and Nolan himself mentions how important 2001 and the whole Apollo missions were in him wanting to know more about space. I think that's the exact kind of impact he wanted for this movie and without that ending, it loses a chunk of the uplifting/positive feeling IMO.

From the off, the very beginning, the movie is hinting at a solution (even the old people reminiscing about the past in cuts); it is then trying to show you how that can happen and to inspire. For a Nolan film; it's actually very linear and without the kind of open-ended twist as you got in Inception. Even if you had guessed that Coop is the Ghost; it's actually irrelevant. It's how he becomes the Ghost that is important.

assuming the whole tesseract thing is real then Coop and Murph did save the world.
Coop can't better that as far as im concerned, making a Santa Claus-esque visit to his daughter just to give her a pat on the cheek is a step down for me.

Of course it is all real (I think people thinking it was some kind of dream are really off the mark) but at the end of the day it leaves it far too open (not that this is a bad thing but it simply wasn't the kind of movie Nolan wanted to make). At the end of the day; even as it is, there are a lot of open questions - who 'they' are is still a mystery because insofar as the characters are used as exposition at times; it's simply their take, not the actual truth. Everyone (the characters) thinks x, y and z is happening in order for them to survive; but it's only when they actually do that x, y and z become solid truths in the movie; rather than guesses by the characters.

And why I say all this is simply that Nolan DIDN'T want to make that kind of movie. I'm fairly sure he is more than well aware that he could have ended it at such a point (it's a very obvious thing to do) but that wasn't what the whole set-up of the movie was about. Some people may have rather preferred that ending; but I think it's wrong to assume the Director made a mistake because that assumes he wasn't aware of that choice. I just think it's his artistic choice and personally because of how I perceive the rest of the movie and the intentions behind it; I love that choice. That earlier ending would have made it a different kind of movie.

Fair enough with your points though.
[close]

Another film Pele, are you sure. I'm getting pretty tired of these directors who are unable to lay down their ideas and philosophies within the confines of one tightly edited movie, why does every bleeding big name director have to constantly make films that are invariably over the 2 and a half hour mark, Scorsese, Nolan, Jackson, Tarantino etc i mean did The Wolf Of Wall Street, Django Unchained, King Kong or The Batman Trilogy need to be so damn long? I don't think so, in an awful lot of modern day epics i find the pacing and editing to be really sloppy and self indulgent.

As for Interstellar, no thanks i'm done with Nolan, i find him pretentious, condescending and smug, having sat through both Inception and The Prestige quite recently i'll wait till Interstellar comes around on TV before checking it out. Other than his debut Following and parts of Batman Begins Nolan's filmography just leaves me cold. Who knows maybe Interstellar is the film to finally convince me.

Either you'll love it and you'll rue not seeing it at the cinema; or you'll hate it and it won't matter anyway. I haven't encountered as many people who just thought it was "ok". I think the ticket price is worth paying because as you can see from my reaction and many others; if you do like it you'll probably really like it. As someone that really loves movies and, in particular, loves epic movies; I would hate to miss out on seeing one at the cinemas. I guess it depends if you're that kind of person (nuts, like me ;)). Though with the above said, it wouldn't be surprising if you didn't like it but IMO it's the least pretentious or purposely open-ended movie of his. What happens is fairly linear (it might not appear that way, but once you think about it you'll see it is exactly that way). It's a fairly traditional sci-fi/epic movie.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 02:41:15 pm by Halcyon Lissome »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #456 on: November 30, 2014, 08:22:11 pm »

good question, most of the movies and directors you mention i'm not a big fan of and they are indeed guilty of having issues with pacing and being self indulgent.

making a brilliant 90 min film might fast becoming a lost art, at least in Hollywood.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #457 on: November 30, 2014, 09:45:17 pm »
Either you'll love it and you'll rue not seeing it at the cinema; or you'll hate it and it won't matter anyway. I haven't encountered as many people who just thought it was "ok". I think the ticket price is worth paying because as you can see from my reaction and many others; if you do like it you'll probably really like it. As someone that really loves movies and, in particular, loves epic movies; I would hate to miss out on seeing one at the cinemas. I guess it depends if you're that kind of person (nuts, like me ;)). Though with the above said, it wouldn't be surprising if you didn't like it but IMO it's the least pretentious or purposely open-ended movie of his. What happens is fairly linear (it might not appear that way, but once you think about it you'll see it is exactly that way). It's a fairly traditional sci-fi/epic movie.

I'm pretty sure I fall into the, 'it was okay' camp. I think most people who have criticised the movie felt the same way.

It's less that it was a terrible movie than that it was a disappointing, exceptionally flawed one.

That said, I thinK grits is probably the biggest Nolan critic on RAWK, so I think he'd hate it with a burning passion.

Offline gritsvanilla

• Legacy Fan
  • A Light Souffle With Razor Blades
« Reply #458 on: December 1, 2014, 01:28:20 am »
You're probably right there Redcap still won't stop me checking it out though. I still genuinely believe there is a truly great film maker within Nolan, he certainly has all the tools.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #459 on: December 1, 2014, 07:13:56 pm »
Saw it last night. Utter illogical garbage of course but I really loved it because there were no car chases. Also never fell asleep - which is always a good parameter where I'm concerned.

;D

Nah. loved it anyway. Really. Though it was preposterous - and not just the gravity physics shite. I mean how the fuck do you build the equivalent of a small city without anyone knowing? And since when was Michael Caine able to do hard sums?

Just on the fave sci-fi thing. For me, you surely can't beat the opening section [till the stupid fucking apes appear] and closing scene of the original Planet of the Apes.

But what the fuck do I know.

« Last Edit: December 1, 2014, 08:04:25 pm by Timbo's Goals »

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #460 on: December 2, 2014, 07:02:49 am »
I'm in the ok camp. It could've been a lot better if they cut out lot of junk, maybe almost 30-40 minutes worth of stuff.

Btw, my friend was with me, and she laughed audibly (right in the hall), when our hero said in the Tesseract that love will lead him to find the correct moment ;D
« Last Edit: December 2, 2014, 07:05:07 am by Niru Red4ever »
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #461 on: December 2, 2014, 03:54:06 pm »
Saw it last night. Don't mind sci-fi....can't be doing with supernatural. In other words, enjoyed it....up to a point.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #462 on: December 2, 2014, 08:46:51 pm »
Watched it. Hated it.

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #463 on: December 3, 2014, 07:35:07 am »
What message did he send back through morse code?

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #464 on: December 3, 2014, 08:02:02 am »

SCIENCE

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #465 on: December 3, 2014, 08:34:35 am »

Complex n-dimensional mathematical equations. Obviously.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #466 on: December 3, 2014, 11:54:11 am »
Nah. loved it anyway. Really. Though it was preposterous - and not just the gravity physics shite. I mean how the fuck do you build the equivalent of a small city without anyone knowing? And since when was Michael Caine able to do hard sums?

Manhattan project?

Quantum data.

Btw, my friend was with me, and she laughed audibly (right in the hall), when our hero said in the Tesseract that love will lead him to find the correct moment ;D

She misunderstood it. Coop was transmitting the data on the watch in the hope/belief that her love for him would lead her back there to take the watch, at least once.
« Last Edit: December 3, 2014, 11:58:15 am by Halcyon Lissome »

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #467 on: December 3, 2014, 11:56:00 am »
Complex n-dimensional mathematical equations. Obviously.

I'm still not so sure why people have issues with this point, he literally had all the time in the universe to do it, it really wouldn't be that difficult just slightly annoying
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #468 on: December 3, 2014, 12:16:07 pm »
I slightly missed that part due to a call.

Wasn't he a pilot? How did he get the formula to relay back in time?

Enjoyed the film but like many have said the father son story was a bit lame. I'd want to know where both my kids are. Had a big gripe with that, probably down to being a dad to boys. Would of connected more, like the will smith film where he's homeless with his boy.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #469 on: December 3, 2014, 12:22:01 pm »
I slightly missed that part due to a call.

Wasn't he a pilot? How did he get the formula to relay back in time?

Enjoyed the film but like many have said the father son story was a bit lame. I'd want to know where both my kids are. Had a big gripe with that, probably down to being a dad to boys. Would of connected more, like the will smith film where he's homeless with his boy.

Previously being a NASA pilot and an engineer I assumed he had some kind of engineering degree and knowledge of Physics, if not I guess the robot could have relayed the data to him in layman's terms 
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #470 on: December 3, 2014, 12:22:42 pm »
Manhattan project?

post millennium Social media leakage?

;D

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #471 on: December 3, 2014, 12:26:55 pm »

;D

Did social media still exist in the film? I can't exactly remember, but given that they taught the moon landing's as a fake in schools I got the impression that they moved away from technology, and dust clouds may have interfered with everything. Plus I can't remember people sat around watching TV or anything

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #472 on: December 3, 2014, 12:36:50 pm »
I'm still not so sure why people have issues with this point, he literally had all the time in the universe to do it, it really wouldn't be that difficult just slightly annoying

He might have but in any given timeline, Murph doesn't.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #473 on: December 3, 2014, 12:40:27 pm »

We don't know how large the formula was, it might have just been a relation with a 5x5 matrix or something which could have been relayed in morse and translated within a couple hours

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #474 on: December 3, 2014, 01:00:30 pm »
Did social media still exist in the film? I can't exactly remember, but given that they taught the moon landing's as a fake in schools I got the impression that they moved away from technology, and dust clouds may have interfered with everything. Plus I can't remember people sat around watching TV or anything

Not sure - but it was the best response I could come up with

;D

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #475 on: December 3, 2014, 01:42:37 pm »
Previously being a NASA pilot and an engineer I assumed he had some kind of engineering degree and knowledge of Physics, if not I guess the robot could have relayed the data to him in layman's terms

It was TARS (the robot) who was in the tesseract with him feeding him the quantum data in morse code.

Think people were more concerned with staying alive than checking on their facebook ;). I don't see the problem. The world at the time was a dystopia and the Nasa depicted is probably 1/10th (if that) the size the manhattan project would be. It's interesting to me that what a lot of people consider illogical or farfetched about the film is so varied. I think the most incredible thing about it is the science involved; which is more or less true (that's the amazing bit).

Murph's time doesn't really matter (it's not affected in the film). In the tesseract; time is not slowed down as what was on the planets. He basically had all the time he needed to get the quantum data to her.
« Last Edit: December 3, 2014, 01:45:28 pm by Halcyon Lissome »

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #476 on: December 5, 2014, 08:29:56 am »
She misunderstood it. Coop was transmitting the data on the watch in the hope/belief that her love for him would lead her back there to take the watch, at least once.
I am tempted to contest this, but since you can probably recite the film backwards by now I will wait till the DVD gets released.

To me it seems Nolan has peaked. The last two films - TDKR and Interstellar - were underwhelming. Hope I am wrong and he creates a masterpiece.
« Last Edit: December 5, 2014, 08:31:30 am by Niru Red4ever »
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #477 on: December 5, 2014, 09:04:11 am »
Saw this last night... epic is the word... people who hate it... I don't really get your logic

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #478 on: December 5, 2014, 10:29:37 am »
Cried like a baby for the final 30 minutes I think. Good thing that the cinema wasn't totally full.

Caught me off guard because I wasn't emotionally invested during the film before then. Love Nolan, he is my god but I don't think the hype matched the quality. Again, until the end. Tears...tissues...long walk home of reflection.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #479 on: December 5, 2014, 10:59:18 am »
Saw this last night... epic is the word... people who hate it... I don't really get your logic

I've not met anyone who hates it. A lot of people love it, a lot of people think there are some weaknesses and that it dosen't quite live up to the hype.

Rarely seen it get less than 7 out of 10, even if you have issues with it it's an entertaining popcorn blockbuster.