Author Topic: League Cup R3 - Man United v Liverpool - Wed 25/9 - 19.45  (Read 86409 times)

Offline AJL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This time one year, we'll be the Champions again
Re: C1Cup R3 - Man United v Liverpool - Wed 25/9 - 19.45
« Reply #520 on: September 24, 2013, 08:30:20 am »
Starting with Wednesdays crushing loss to us to really get the ball rolling.

There's absolutely nothing better in football than handing out a 'crushing' defeat; a win is great but when you know that it is 'crushing' it makes it even sweeter !

Strongest team possible please Gaffer.

(Cannot fking wait  ;D)
"For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side"

#JFT96

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #521 on: September 24, 2013, 08:45:02 am »
Your a bit of a gimp aren't you lad.

Im not the one suggesting to 'drop' Gerrard for UTD away....

Gerrard deserves dropping, and if you don't think so, your clueless.

This is the last time I bite to you as you are obviously a bit of a nonce that never goes to the game, who doesnt 'get' what it means to play UTD, regardless of the competition. We will play our strongest 11 whether you think its right or not.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 08:52:05 am by Always_A_Red »
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #522 on: September 24, 2013, 08:47:04 am »
I'm a tad confused with our allocation. We do indeed have our 'normal' away end, yet have 'all' the top bit at the scoreboard end.

That should! add up to about the 9,000 odd we got last time for the FA cup game. Yet we've been given 7,250. Unless my gauge is out, that top doesn't just hold 5,000 does it? Thought it would be more.

There will be 9000 seats in the sections that we have been allocated you are right. However, there will be alot of spare seats that have not been sold scattered around these sections.
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline plskikme

• Kopite
  • What Could Have Been and What Can Be
« Reply #523 on: September 24, 2013, 08:48:05 am »
I would play our 2nd string / kids (whatever that comprises these days)

I really don't give a fuck that its the Mancs at Old Trafford; it's the carling cup and many of our first eleven are knackered with an away game in the FAR more important premier league this weekend

I don't usually respond to posts like these in case it turns out to be a wind up attempt, but speaking in individual games, I'd rather lose to Sunderland in the league than lose to Utd in whatever competition, especially when its another chance to fug Moyes up.

I don't even care if we get knocked out in the next round, because those are future matches to worry about, just like if we lose to Sunderland there are another 30 or so matches to win. Many are calling for Gerrard to be dropped, and whilst I don't agree to the idea of dropping a talismanic captain against our biggest rivals no matter his form, at least he is just one player. You on the other hand want to rest the best and play the rest against a Moyes side who will be desperate for a positive result after already losing to two different rivals this early on.

Just to be clear, I don't think Gerrard should be undroppable, just NOT in this match. Thank God I'm not in Brendan's position.

Offline subroc

• cut at you with a clipper? Gas Face given, I beg to differ.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #524 on: September 24, 2013, 09:13:43 am »
I want us to beat United as much as any Liverpool supporter and normally Gerrard has to play, but let's look at the reality that we are in - we are already lost key players to injuries, and Gerrard has been playing poorly with mor static movement.

If his fitness is in question, what is the logic of playing him and wasting his limited ability to play at top capacity on the League Cup when our priority is the CL? What is more when we have such a thin squad with so little depth as compared to the likes of United? They can afford to play their best team in the League Cup but not us.

What if we injure more critically important players while going hammer and tongs at United? What if Lucas gets crocked? Or worse - Sturridge?!

At the end of the day, playing in Europe's 2nd tier cup is not going to bring over top players - it's the CL or bust for them. As for the League Cup itself, winning domestic cups is nice, but the League Cup is the garnish - the main course is the league and the CL. The dictates of modern football and the money and FSG;s oiwn priorities (which they have alreayd proven by sacking Dalglish for failing to achieve it despite winning the League CUp) require us to get back into the top 4 at all costs.

So I would advocate that we conserve our strength and give Sturridge, Toure and Agger a rest to let them recover, and Lucas and Gerrard a rest to enable them to get their strength back, and play a second string team instead against United and give them a chance to prove themselves an dmake a name for themselves. With Suarez in there to get his fitness back, it will still be a team that has a chance, and the young players will also be up for it.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 09:21:01 am by subroc »

Offline readybreck

• road
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #525 on: September 24, 2013, 09:28:07 am »
For me the cups are our only realistic chance of silverware and to dismiss it with a second string set up should be seen as a criminal act. 5 games more in this and your at Wembley FFS. Granted the ridiculous set of the Europa league I can understand rotating the squad but otherwise we should go for it.

Offline jordyball10

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #526 on: September 24, 2013, 09:35:12 am »
Am i actually reading right through some of these forums? Dont play Gerrard?? Also start Luis Alberto? Luis Alberto as only been involved in u21 games so throwing him in a game like this... dont think so! Look at the squad we put out against Notts county at home, do you really think we are going to side a weakened team. I think not!

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #527 on: September 24, 2013, 09:42:19 am »
Am i actually reading right through some of these forums? Dont play Gerrard?? Also start Luis Alberto? Luis Alberto as only been involved in u21 games so throwing him in a game like this... dont think so! Look at the squad we put out against Notts county at home, do you really think we are going to side a weakened team. I think not!

You mean the game that Luis Alberto started? Not sure what you're saying to be honest mate.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #528 on: September 24, 2013, 09:47:52 am »
Drop Gerrard yeah because he's usually does nothing against Utd.

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #529 on: September 24, 2013, 09:48:53 am »
On the merits of first string vs second string, we are not actually even in a position to make the distinction really. Agger isn't fully fit and probably won't play so it will be Sakho and Toure/Skrtel at CB and probably Wisdom at RB since we are apparently unwilling to use any of our natural full backs and Kelly isn't fit enough yet. If Enrique isn't fit then we'll need to play three at the back. Suarez will probably start alongside Moses, Henderson and one of Aspas/Sterling because our only other options are Luis Alberto and Ibe.

I think the only three players involved in the rotation debate are Lucas, Gerrard and Sturridge. People say we should play our strongest line-up but they won't be the strongest line-up if we completely run them into the ground. If Lucas and Gerrard start they almost certainly won't be subbed and they will be dead on their feet come the weekend. Sturridge's fitness is of vital importance to the success of our season and he's not even half fit. If we risk them and totally wreck them or injure them people will be out in force moaning about it. We all want to twat the Mancs but not at the expense of losing players to injury and/or being too fucked to run for 45mins. We'll probably have to play one of Gerrard and Lucas because of a lack of options, but playing both is asking for trouble imo.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #530 on: September 24, 2013, 09:49:38 am »
Anyone wanting, or hoping Gerrard starts in this game needs their heads and waters testing.

If Rodgers starts him, then he loses a full mark off his overall tenure score.

(he's currently on 7.5/10)

Oh jeez christ.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #531 on: September 24, 2013, 09:56:46 am »
Oh jeez christ.

That is a true example of the modern day football fan.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #532 on: September 24, 2013, 09:57:02 am »

Guess you missed the 20mins + Alberto played v's Utd when we won? He came on and did a stellar tactical job.

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #533 on: September 24, 2013, 10:00:45 am »
Drop Gerrard yeah because he's usually does nothing against Utd.

Would you rather he gets injured playing against them in a lower-priority competition and becomes unavailable to us for the Premiership for a few months? It is when a player is run down and exhausted that the chances of him getting injured rises.

Some of the people posting in this thread seem to think that the Gerrard we have today is the same freak of nature we had 5 years ago. People, this squad is so thin that it is teetering on the edge of a precipice in terms of this squad's ability to press on and challenge in the Premiership - if we get a few more critical injuries, we could see a collapse in this team's ability to even arrest a drop into the lower mid table rungs.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 10:03:17 am by subroc »

Offline Acapulco

• Main Stander
« Reply #534 on: September 24, 2013, 10:03:27 am »
Oh jeez christ.

Agree Walshy, although I would like to see him playing the DM role he does for England .Injuries will help ti dictate team selection but we need to go for this one. A win would be a big morale booster and would help us in our league fixtures. Some people do not realise how important morale and confidence are.

Offline Cattive Maniere

• Legacy Fan
  • Mentalita Ultras
    • bettingtips365
« Reply #535 on: September 24, 2013, 10:12:38 am »
We play fuckin Sunderland on sunday! We can twat them with the kids. Suggesting that we must rest our best players tomorrow is laughable.

« Reply #536 on: September 24, 2013, 10:14:05 am »
hoping to see:

mignolet

kelly toure sakho enrique 

lucas gerrard

suarez  allen/alberto  moses

sturridge

no point resting the big players and risking a loss just play our best team and hopefully get job done and spirits back up after saturdays performance, plus pile a bit more pressure on gollem too
I agree with that lineup, assuming Kelly is fit and Agger not quite. It has better balance than the last starting 11 we put out. Play fullbacks in fullback positions and the play-maker in the 10-position.

It's much easier starting with your strongest team and holding your ground or defending a small lead than being forced to do radical tactical changes, because you're down a goal or two.

Bench: Jones, Škrtel, Wisdom, Henderson, Allen/Alberto, Sterling and Aspas

It was painful watching 4 center backs trying to pass the ball out of defence, but only putting each other under more pressure by picking the wrong pass more often than not. But hey, at least we won a lot of headers.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 10:17:23 am by EskilJehn »
Bastion of invincibility

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #537 on: September 24, 2013, 10:29:26 am »
snip
.............................The Fillet.................................

Kelly..............Toure............Sahko............Enrique

......................Allen...............Lucas......................

Henderson................Berto......................Sterling

...............................Suarez..................................

Our captain looked genuinely fooked at the weekend, if Allen's fit enough to start I'd get him into that midfield.

The 4 CB fiasco needs to be plonked in the bin. Let's get Kelly and Enrique in who will hopefully give us a bit of width and a platform to start our attacks from!

Enough of putting square pegs in round holes. Play the best, fit (not knackered - Ste G please knock this fucking Ingurlund shite on the head) player you have in that position!
Defo agree although I think we have to try a balancing act! For me, we don't have anyone capable of doing Lucas's job right now so he has to play. At the back I think we have enough cover in a slightly crocked Agger and Skrtel to play Toure, then if he has a reaction we can still get away with it come the weekend!
Beyond that you could argue for Moses over Sterling and I wouldn't be unhappy as they both offer something similar albiet that Moses tends to be slightly more direct.

By saying I would not start our captain, it's not me saying that I don't want to win this game and this cup, I have the upmost respect for the competition! We are after all the most successful team in it and I would love for that to continue! But we have to be realistic! We're already seeing the short coming of our young, and in parts, thin squad and that unfortuantely means you can't play your best 11 every week! This may be for a multitude of reasons; injuries, lack of fitness, tiredness or just poor form! That for me says we shouldn't/can't play Gerrard, Sturridge, Agger, Glen and Coutinho (possibly Cissokho). You never know, it may be an opportunity to shine for Allen and Berto or possibly the kick up the arse Gerrard appears to need (to tell the Owl he's done playing for him in every capacity)!

Also, I do not believe that by saying we should rest a particular player or more than one player I am being direspectful to any of the fans travelling to the game. Not everyone can afford to go, not everyone has the opportunity to, not everyone lives in the UK. We all support the same team and all want the best for the team, the players, the manager and our fellow supporters. To suggest otherwise simply isn't right!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 10:31:04 am by Titi Camara »

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #538 on: September 24, 2013, 10:30:01 am »
Got to go with the strongest team. It's a competition we should be trying our hardest to win, and our second string isn't good enough to win it - never mind win at OT. Lucas, Gerrard and Sturridge must start if fit enough to do so. Suarez too. Brendan didn't send out a weakened side at home to Notts County, don't see why he'd do it v United at OT.

The back four concerns me after Saturday, think we need to go back to basics - flat back four, two as near to natural fullbacks as we can get, not two central defenders playing out of position.

-------------------Mignolet------------------

--Kelly--------Toure------Sakho------Enrique--

--------------------Lucas-------------------

-----------Gerrard----------Henderson--------

--Moses---------------------------Sturridge--

-------------------Suarez-------------------

Agger doesn't look like he will be fit, and I think Toure can help Sakho out in terms of leadership and communication better than Skrtel can. We missed Johnson and Enrique on Saturday, or missed the options a natural fullback can provide, so I think we have to start with Kelly and Enrique.

The rest of the team picks itself in terms of a strongest X1, but if Sturridge is struggling then we should play Henderson right, Moses left and Allen in the middle.

-------------------Mignolet------------------

--Kelly--------Toure------Sakho------Enrique--

--------------------Lucas--------------------

-----------Gerrard------------Allen-----------

--Henderson--------------------------Moses--

-------------------Suarez--------------------

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #539 on: September 24, 2013, 10:30:49 am »
We play fuckin Sunderland on sunday! We can twat them with the kids. Suggesting that we must rest our best players tomorrow is laughable.

We didn't 'twat' them at Anfield with a strong X1, we aren't going to Old Trafford to twat them either.

In it to win it.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #540 on: September 24, 2013, 10:33:37 am »
We didn't 'twat' them at Anfield with a strong X1, we aren't going to Old Trafford to twat them either.

In it to win it.
To be fair I feel he's/she's probably referring to the mangerless and almost pointless Sunderland!

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #541 on: September 24, 2013, 10:34:12 am »

A club whose players revolted against their manager, they will be all putting in 110% to prove their decision right.

If Gerrard isn't rested its gross miss-management of him.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #542 on: September 24, 2013, 10:35:38 am »
To be fair I feel he's/she's probably referring to the mangerless and almost pointless Sunderland!

My bad! Sorry CM!

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #543 on: September 24, 2013, 10:38:08 am »
We play fuckin Sunderland on sunday! We can twat them with the kids.

You mean like we beat Southampton?

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #544 on: September 24, 2013, 10:40:32 am »
Be interesting to see what Moyes team selection looks like, I'm pretty sure he'll go with pretty much his strongest 11 as he'll be feeling a bit of pressure and will b desperate to get the fans behind him. As much as I think Gerrard needs a rest I'd be happy for him to start and be replaced after an hour. It's a tough one for Rodgers though especially with Lucas looking knackered too.

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #545 on: September 24, 2013, 10:42:06 am »
You mean like we beat Southampton?
Southampton are 7th with a decent manager & high pressing style

Sunderland are bottom of the league,managerless,have 40 new players and have no style of play at all

That is the game to rest Gerrrard & co,not utd away

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #546 on: September 24, 2013, 10:43:52 am »
I don't understand how we are looking this drained so early in the season.

Gerrard played in EVERY league game last season. Now he needs a rest. What has happened in the space of 3 months that he now needs a rest after 6 games? Or is it just the way we are playing/struggling in games that makes us look lethargic? I don't get it at all.

Offline Dree

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #547 on: September 24, 2013, 10:45:30 am »
Start Gerrard if Allen can play at the weekend. If not, take a gamble with Alberto it could be a defining moment for him early in his LFC career if he performs.

Offline Thebootroom

• Boys Pen

Offline freddwarf

• Pub bore. See? See? I was right! Gerrard back in C/Mid! Told you all months ago! See? Listen to me! I'm always right! Chose accessorising over a European Final. Gave his wife the trousers.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #549 on: September 24, 2013, 11:05:56 am »
Said meself a few weeks ago that Suarez will be chopping at the bit to come back.

This is a big game for Suarez and has wetted his appetite for the game, with United on the menu,it's something to get his teeth into it. He will make a meal of it  but could leave a bitter taste in the mouth if we lose.

No pun intended.

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #550 on: September 24, 2013, 11:07:27 am »
Southampton are 7th with a decent manager & high pressing style

Sunderland are bottom of the league,managerless,have 40 new players and have no style of play at all

That is the game to rest Gerrrard & co,not utd away

Sunderland will have an automatic fillip as a result of getting rid of their manager whom they disliked.

You do not rest your best players for your priority competition.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 11:12:23 am by subroc »

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #551 on: September 24, 2013, 11:09:45 am »
I don't understand how we are looking this drained so early in the season.

Gerrard played in EVERY league game last season. Now he needs a rest. What has happened in the space of 3 months that he now needs a rest after 6 games? Or is it just the way we are playing/struggling in games that makes us look lethargic? I don't get it at all.

Once your legs go, they are gone - its something that happens generally very quickly. We aren't helping in the slightest by overplaying him.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #552 on: September 24, 2013, 11:12:42 am »
Why is there so much chatter about us being knackered and needing a rest? We've played less games than all the teams around us and we're looking at an absolute maximum of around 50 games for this season...

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #553 on: September 24, 2013, 11:15:51 am »
Why is there so much chatter about us being knackered and needing a rest? We've played less games than all the teams around us and we're looking at an absolute maximum of around 50 games for this season...

Because for some reason the team is looking tired especially in the second half?

Offline freddwarf

• Pub bore. See? See? I was right! Gerrard back in C/Mid! Told you all months ago! See? Listen to me! I'm always right! Chose accessorising over a European Final. Gave his wife the trousers.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #554 on: September 24, 2013, 11:16:08 am »
You do not rest your best players for your priority competition.

Yes agreed. The league must take priority over the league cup, but any game against United is very important. A good win can rebuild confidence.

A weak team, a KO plus Sunderland coming up trying to prove they can play, get a scrappy draw and we are for sure roundabout top 6/7 and that in truth with this squad is our level.

Beat United, go at S'Land with confidence, play above ourselfes and we could just still be in with a shout of the top 4 come January.

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #555 on: September 24, 2013, 11:24:58 am »
Yes agreed. The league must take priority over the league cup, but any game against United is very important. A good win can rebuild confidence.

A weak team, a KO plus Sunderland coming up trying to prove they can play, get a scrappy draw and we are for sure roundabout top 6/7 and that in truth with this squad is our level.

Beat United, go at S'Land with confidence, play above ourselfes and we could just still be in with a shout of the top 4 come January.

Whatever the case, if he is indeed exhausted, then Gerrard needs to be rested to recover his form and strength. Otherwise he isnt going to improve the team against United anyway.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #556 on: September 24, 2013, 11:26:03 am »
I would play as many squad players as possible.

Said it before, we need for one season just to try and get in the top 4 because that will make a massive difference going forward.
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline freddwarf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #557 on: September 24, 2013, 11:26:22 am »
Once your legs go, they are gone - its something that happens generally very quickly. We aren't helping in the slightest by overplaying him.

Well yes Gerrard should be managed better. Was he really needed V N.County.

I'm not saying his legs are gone but he has high mileage, mayby this is why we have to play Hendo at the expense of a more creative attacking midfielder. Hendo can do the leg work.

Have to say all in all, what with our other problems, we are not looking on the face of it like top 4 candidates.

Lot of pressure of Rodgers to get the Suarez &  gig right. Sturridge looks like he could play widish right, Suarez more central with Coutinho/ Moses down the left.

So the front 6 v United is....Lucas,Gerrard,Hendo,Sturridge,Suarez,Moses. But I fancy Rodgers will bring Suarez off the bench.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #558 on: September 24, 2013, 11:28:37 am »
Well yes Gerrard should be managed better. Was he really needed V N.County.

I'm not saying his legs are gone but he has high mileage, mayby this is why we have to play Hendo at the expense of a more creative attacking midfielder. Hendo can do the leg work.

Have to say all in all, what with our other problems, we are not looking on the face of it like top 4 candidates.

Lot of pressure of Rodgers to get the Suarez &  gig right. Sturridge looks like he could play widish right, Suarez more central with Coutinho/ Moses down the left.

So the front 6 v United is....Lucas,Gerrard,Hendo,Sturridge,Suarez,Moses. But I fancy Rodgers will bring Suarez off the bench.

I hope he wouldn't. I'd rather he start him and take him off after an hour. I don't get the whole bring him on as a sub if he's not match fit lark.

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #559 on: September 24, 2013, 11:59:38 am »
Madness in here.

Utd will be desperate to win, to break the narrative, Moyes doesn't rotate normally but against us? No chance.

Plus they know as well as we do, it's their (our our) best chance of a trophy this season.

Send your finest warriors Brendan and twat the fuckers.
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.