Author Topic: My Fitness Diary 2013  (Read 13960 times)

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
My Fitness Diary 2013
« on: December 31, 2012, 10:53:59 am »
I've never been one for New Years Resolutions. In fact I went as far as making a resolution not to make one ever again about 5/6 years ago. I've held to that to this date but now I feel it's time to break it. This year has been tough for me personally and the final year of university has been full on, but I've seen that I've been neglecting my body over the last 6 months or so to the extent that I've piled on the pounds. I'm 6"2 and, after weighing myself on Thursday, 15 and a half stone. I'm not massive by any stretch of the imagination but when I weighed myself in mid-November I was 15 stone so have put on half a stone in just under 6 weeks. I'm by no means the biggest I've ever been either, 5 years ago I was just under 16 stone, but to stop myself from getting back to there or even worse I have to act now!

As many of you will know I'm a referee. With my rising weight, and ultimately dropping cardiovascular fitness, this will affect my performance on the pitch. It'll also affect my general health massively, and with a family history of heart disease and diabetes it's something I can't take too lightly.

With this in mind I've made a New Years Resolution to get fit. Lose the weight. Tone up. Improve my cardiovascular fitness. I'm going to do this by doing something that will raise my heart rate at least once per day EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR. Whether it be sit ups, press up, tricep dips and some squats one day, swimming another day, running the day after or refereeing a football match I will do something at least.

This thread isn't me looking for sympathy. It's not me looking for positive reinforcement. It's not me looking for people to say "You're not fat" "There's nothing wrong with your weight" "You look fine as you are". It's for me to motivate myself by having something to post in everyday and to hopefully track the progress I'm making. I'm going to post photo's of myself on here. You know the ones, the ones that show people before and after, every month to see exactly what progress I'm making body wise and hopefully we'll also be able to see progress in how many press ups/sit ups I do, to how far I'm running and how quickly I'm running to how much I run during a football match.

This also isn't just a thread for me. Hopefully this thread can motivate others into doing the same. It starts tomorrow. I'll be nursing an extremely great hangover but something will be done, I'm just not sure it'll consist of a 5 mile run ;)

This is a journey beginning now and I, along with RAWK, will have a fitter and better 2013!

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Re: My Fitness Diary 2013
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 11:25:58 am »
Here are the photo's. Not what many of you want to see but it can be used as an outcome measure for me :)

Well prepared for the gentle piss taking that's about to come my way.

Offline mabbympb

• Branded he was a man who ran!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red and White Kop
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 11:34:33 am »
Digger called, he wants his shorts back! ;D

Resolutions can be tough and usually dont last very long. Im not saying you wont do something every single day, but getting the motivation to do that on some days can be pretty tough.

Good luck in your quest!

Here would be my advice in trimming abit of fat down.

As i understand it, 3500 calories is a pound of fat. You work out your basal metabolic rate (BMR - the amount of calories requried to maintain your current weight) and then using myfitnesspal app, count your calories for a week. This will then make you realise exactly how much you are putting away.

Basically to lose weight, you need to consume less calories than your BMR. You can do this by doing exercise, or by taking in less calories. BE HONEST though as you are only cheating yourself. A mini melton mobrey pork pie is something like 300 calories, which would probably take a 45 minute run to burn that amount of calories.

You can choose to consume say 200 less calories a day, and your progress will be slow, or 500 a day, and you should lose a pound a week. But dont over do it.

Other things i work off, lay off the bread, lay off the beer (a pint is about 350 calories or so, go out on the weekend and have 10-15 pints, thats a pound and half!)

Working out, increasing muscle mass, will increase the rate at which you burn calories

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=273443.msg11036937#msg11036937
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 11:39:20 am by mabbympb »

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 11:41:18 am »
Here are the photo's. Not what many of you want to see but it can be used as an outcome measure for me :)

Well prepared for the gentle piss taking that's about to come my way.

Thank's mike,I was sitting here talking myself out of a 70 mile bike ride having seen those picture's I don't wanna look like that....

I'm on my way out on the bike. :)

Seriously mate,good luck with your programme. :wave
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Pheeny

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 02:34:45 pm »
Bit shocked you didn't make your bed...

Pheeny

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 02:42:05 pm »

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 02:43:00 pm »
Welshred, you coulda made the bed and closed the wardrobe fellah.
Not too much wrong with your physique mate - you'll be alright I reckon. The shorts are a bit tight though, aren't they?

Good luck with the new regime! :thumbup

Offline lfcshaunod

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 02:49:08 pm »
My target is a six pack by june.

Im into my weight lifting but never do anything on my abs.

Downloaded that p90x ab ripper amd starting tomorrow, its mission six pack.
I'M NOT NED STARK'S BASTARD!!!

Offline NotAsBigDanno

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 03:50:03 pm »
My target is a six pack by june.

Im into my weight lifting but never do anything on my abs.

Downloaded that p90x ab ripper amd starting tomorrow, its mission six pack.

Getting a six pack is all about the diet, you can do all the ab exercise you want but unless your body fat percentage is in single figures you won't see it. Good luck though  :)

Pheeny

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 08:05:03 pm »
I can get a six pack anytime I want...

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 08:56:36 pm »
Will try and join you in here :)

Past couple of years I've had the resolution of jogging every day and usually manage to keep it for about few months and notice the difference massively.  This year I just want to get back to my normal weight, with my new job and other things I've put on just under two stone in the past year.  That needs fixing. 

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #11 on: January 1, 2013, 05:57:00 pm »
Welshred, you coulda made the bed and closed the wardrobe fellah.

Bit shocked you didn't make your bed...

Shush you two. No point making the bed, it was packed up and taken to Lincoln with me a few minutes later. Also, the wardrobe doors are broken like that right now.

Haven't done anything today yet, but will do something just before I go to bed, even with the very dodgy stomach I have right now!

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #12 on: January 1, 2013, 06:47:09 pm »
Got a bet on with my dad and 10 yr old son that i don't run as many miles this year as they did together on bikes last year - 1020 miles to beat.  £100 up for grabs.  I'm also the heaviest i've ever been - a broken collarbone didn't help.  11st 5lbs - i'm 5ft 6.  I want to get there by end of October.

Went out for 3.9mile this morning in about 36mins as my Garmin really crashed on me and wiped all the old data in the watch.  Luckily i have it all backed up but there's not that there's much to look at.  I think i ran about 100miles last year!

Good luck to all out there on the fitness drive!

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #13 on: January 1, 2013, 10:12:46 pm »
Right, so, scores on the doors for today, 1st January:

30 press ups
50 sit ups
50 crunchies
30 tricep dips

Not the best start but going to do some CV tomorrow, just not sure whether it'll be a run or a swim.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #14 on: January 1, 2013, 10:19:24 pm »
You're not fit to referee!...

Good luck mate, I guess this will make it easier for you to stick to a regime of sorts. I'm full of the usual empty promises at this time of year - finding the time is the harders part (or the most convenient excuse) for me at the moment.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #15 on: January 1, 2013, 11:28:07 pm »
You're not fit to referee!...

Good luck mate, I guess this will make it easier for you to stick to a regime of sorts. I'm full of the usual empty promises at this time of year - finding the time is the harders part (or the most convenient excuse) for me at the moment.

Haha cheers Nick. Hoping this thread will be the motivation I need to carry it on throughout the year. I definitely need to do something. That workout above, although about 5 minutes worth, was fucking tough and an indication of where I am right now.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #16 on: January 2, 2013, 04:38:14 pm »
45 minute run today. Aching now! Onwards and upwards.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 2, 2013, 04:41:22 pm »
Good luck with this

Offline just Riggins?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 3, 2013, 11:44:16 am »
Did a short run on the 1st, nothing yesterday but an hour and a halfs walking, but I don't like to count that. 

Going to try and couple my run tonight with some sit ups and press ups.

My average mile is currently 9"20 so I want to smash that sometime soon.  I'd like to shave about 4 minutes off of it.
« Last Edit: January 3, 2013, 11:52:29 am by kelly34 »

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #19 on: January 3, 2013, 01:32:27 pm »
Did a short run on the 1st, nothing yesterday but an hour and a halfs walking, but I don't like to count that. 

My average mile is currently 9"20 so I want to smash that sometime soon.  I'd like to shave about 4 minutes off of it.

Don't do yourself a disservice mate, an hour and a half of walking should definitely count!

The run I did yesterday with my mate was really slow yesterday, it was about 3 miles in that time but we were aiming to keep our heart rate to between 135 and 150 bpm to keep within the fat burning zone so we were happy. As I was saying to him though, it's not about how fast I'm running at the moment, or how far I'm running, it's about that I'm actually doing it and I've got a year to gradually build up.

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #20 on: January 3, 2013, 02:44:22 pm »

Low intensity exercise like a walk that long burns fat stores better then high intensity training.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #21 on: January 3, 2013, 11:20:48 pm »
Legs are a bit tired after that run yesterday but still managed to do a little something today. Arms are killing right now though, even though I've not done much, but I think you can start to get an indication of where I am at the moment hopefully.

Today:

30 biceps curls left and right using 12.5kg dumbells.
60 squats
60 crunchies
30 press ups

Sweating like a bitch right now!

Offline mabbympb

• Branded he was a man who ran!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red and White Kop
    • Instagram
« Reply #22 on: January 4, 2013, 11:48:09 am »
Low intensity exercise like a walk that long burns fat stores better then high intensity training.

HIT will leaving your body racing for the next couple of days though, and is less time consuming. All depends on the indivduals own needs and time constraints. If you have a spare 3 hours every day to go for a walk, great! :o

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #23 on: January 4, 2013, 05:57:34 pm »

I've done a couple of runs in last 2 days - 4 miles - i'm averaging 9:00-9:15.  Back in early 2000's i was running sub 60 for 10 and sub 1:20 for half marathons.  It'll take me at least 2-3 years to get down to arond 65mins for 10 miles (possibly cos i'm an old twat).  Just run as you feel for the first 6 months and then re-evaluate.

Best of luck

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #24 on: January 4, 2013, 07:07:57 pm »
40 minute run today, using my Garmin Forerunner 410 this time. 38 minutes, 4.75km run at an average HR of 157bpm. My aim was to keep my HR between 150 and 165 so am happy with that! Best thing was I was really comfortable at that pace and could have continued.

Football tomorrow and Sunday, so that'll be my stuff for the weekend.

Offline just Riggins?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 5, 2013, 01:02:27 pm »
I've done a couple of runs in last 2 days - 4 miles - i'm averaging 9:00-9:15.  Back in early 2000's i was running sub 60 for 10 and sub 1:20 for half marathons.  It'll take me at least 2-3 years to get down to arond 65mins for 10 miles (possibly cos i'm an old twat).  Just run as you feel for the first 6 months and then re-evaluate.

Best of luck

Thanks! 

Best running the past two days and will go again today.  Managed to get my mile down to 8.59 so far and at my lowest weight so it's going well so far.  Will head out today again and try and go a little bit further. 

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #26 on: January 5, 2013, 07:38:56 pm »
Football today for me. 90 minutes completed. Another match tomorrow.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #27 on: January 6, 2013, 04:58:53 pm »
Referee'd a match today. Used my HRM during football for the first time. Covered 6 miles in the 90 minutes so quite pleased at that. Legs are aching like mad now so will have a few days rest off them now I think, unless I have a recovery session on the bike in the gym tomorrow. Not done any sit ups or press ups for a while so they'll be on the agenda!

Offline just Riggins?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 6, 2013, 08:29:44 pm »
I gave myself today off, didn't take count of what I was eating and that.  Think it's not too much harm to have one day of a week but I did miss going for a run today. 

Back to it for the next six days starting tomorrow anyway. 

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #29 on: January 6, 2013, 10:24:36 pm »
I gave myself today off, didn't take count of what I was eating and that.  Think it's not too much harm to have one day of a week but I did miss going for a run today. 

Back to it for the next six days starting tomorrow anyway. 

Done just 4 days this week - managed to do same 4 runs.  thursday i did 36:57 for 3.9 miles, this morning 34:03.  I've lost 3lbs since 1st January

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #30 on: January 6, 2013, 10:26:52 pm »
My regular 5 a side game has ground to a halt and I haven't done exercise of note for about 3 months. Fucking shambolic :D

Feel rough at the moment but need to firce myself into going jogging again, just to get started. Can't see me lasting far early on though. Welshred you're an inspiration. ;)

Offline just Riggins?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 7, 2013, 10:00:34 am »
Done just 4 days this week - managed to do same 4 runs.  thursday i did 36:57 for 3.9 miles, this morning 34:03.  I've lost 3lbs since 1st January

It's boss when you see how far you can go by just persevering with the same thing. 

I used to run everyday for my NYE resolution, at the start I could barely make it round 2 miles, by February I was doing 6 miles with ease. 

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #32 on: January 7, 2013, 11:11:48 pm »
75 sit ups
75 crunchies
30 press ups

I'm shit at press ups. Can only manage to get a set of 10 out each time before fatiguing massively!

Still, 7 days in, carrying on and looking forward to getting into the gym tomorrow and onto the treadmills!

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #33 on: January 7, 2013, 11:12:22 pm »
My regular 5 a side game has ground to a halt and I haven't done exercise of note for about 3 months. Fucking shambolic :D

Feel rough at the moment but need to firce myself into going jogging again, just to get started. Can't see me lasting far early on though. Welshred you're an inspiration. ;)

Got to get the fatties together Nick to be able to shift this weight!

Offline Elli

• kelly without the k, and the y replaced with an i
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 8, 2013, 06:17:35 pm »
75 sit ups
75 crunchies
30 press ups

I'm shit at press ups. Can only manage to get a set of 10 out each time before fatiguing massively!

Still, 7 days in, carrying on and looking forward to getting into the gym tomorrow and onto the treadmills!

I've been ignoring this for a while now but I feel like I need to offer you some friendly advice Chris.

Eating that many Crunchies in a day probably isn't going to lead to the Adonis results you're hoping for...

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #35 on: January 8, 2013, 11:06:55 pm »
I've been ignoring this for a while now but I feel like I need to offer you some friendly advice Chris.

Eating that many Crunchies in a day probably isn't going to lead to the Adonis results you're hoping for...

That's where I'm going wrong!!!! Thanks Elli :p

More today though:

45 squats
45 tricep dips
75 crunchies (just for Elli!)
30 press ups

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: January 9, 2013, 03:30:16 am »

;D
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 9, 2013, 01:52:24 pm »
Considering you referee quite often you probably won't have any issues burning that weight off. Good luck though, you really don't want a belly like that for long.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: January 9, 2013, 01:55:10 pm »

:lmao :lmao

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #39 on: January 9, 2013, 04:03:03 pm »
Considering you referee quite often you probably won't have any issues burning that weight off. Good luck though, you really don't want a belly like that for long.

I think that's been my problem though, over the last year the only time I've done any exercise is whilst refereeing. I'd quite like to get to Football League level in the future and the only way I'll get there is if I put in hard work now, and cut out the crap that I've been eating too which I've started doing too.

Legs are like jelly right now. 45 minutes on the exercise bike with 10 thirty second sprints and then 3 one minute sprints followed by a 15 minute walk on the treadmill with a 10% incline. Also, I've walked up Brownlow Hill twice today and Mount Pleasant once so I'm counting them too!!