Author Topic: Climate Emergency is already here. How much worse it gets is still up to us (?)  (Read 377108 times)

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/sunaks-family-firm-signed-a-billion-dollar-deal-with-bp-before-pm-opened-new-north-sea-licences-353690/

Sunak’s family firm signed a billion-dollar deal with BP before PM opened new North Sea licences. The CEO of one of Infosys' other major clients, Shell, also joined Rishi Sunak's new business council two weeks ago.

Fishy being fishy.

This calls for more RWM headlines about brown people in rubber dinghies!!

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
You wrong un  ;)

See thats' the first thing I thought of too, we should probably get some help!

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/HNeghc0n0cs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/HNeghc0n0cs</a>

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
Just seems so wrong to replace any natural outdoor area with plastic grass. A bit of our garden tended to get waterlogged so we turned it into a wildflower patch. It’s thriving and beautiful.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
Fake grass is an abomination and Nobby Reserve is a shill for the petrochemical industry. They astroturfed the local school and local park, it burns the skin in the Australian summer. Disgraceful, distasteful, humanity at its worst (well, second worst after leaf blowers)

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Fake grass is an abomination and Nobby Reserve is a shill for the petrochemical industry. They astroturfed the local school and local park, it burns the skin in the Australian summer. Disgraceful, distasteful, humanity at its worst (well, second worst after leaf blowers)

I agree!

And don't get me started on leaf blowers/vacs  ;D Nature doesn't need tidying. leaves degrade into the soil, keeping it healthy and feeding the earthworms (and all the other little critters in there).  It's called nutrient cycling.

I'll never understand the culture (or obsession) of manicured lawns.  On a green or fairway perhaps, but not in a back garden.

I've turned my lawn into a wildflower meadow - five years of maturity now, and it's looking great!
« Last Edit: August 2, 2023, 09:22:00 am by Red-Soldier »

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
Manicured lawns are an obsession here too, and quite an unhealthy one because soft, lush, dark green lawns aren't really compatible with the Australian climate, they are very much a colonial affectation. I too like to let nature take its course with mine; I let leaves and flower clippings rot, and have a pile of lawnmower cuttings that is home to about a billion worms.

I was watching Bluey with my kids this afternoon and there's an episode where they're playing in the yard and the dad spends hours mesmerised by the vein patterns on a leaf. I'm a bit like that too, I get a big therapeutic rush from weeding, do the edging with long handled scissors instead of the noisy convenience of a whipper snipper, and I like to lie on the grass when it's dry and watch the bees in the clover and all the other little life forms in the miniature forest the lawn provides.

It never ceases to disgust me how people in this city continually knock down old homes with mature gardens and build these cubic monstrosities that cover nearly every square inch of the block in concrete and plastic. On a summer day you can walk down my street and the temperature goes up 5-10 degrees when you pass a new build. Oh, but they have solar panels! We're saved!
« Last Edit: August 2, 2023, 09:47:03 am by GreatEx »

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
I agree!

And don't get me started on leaf blowers/vacs  ;D Nature doesn't need tidying. leaves degrade into the soil, keeping it healthy and feeding the earthworms (and all the other little critters in there).  It's called nutrient cycling.

I'll never understand the culture (or obsession) of manicured lawns.  On a green or fairway perhaps, but not in a back garden.

I've turned my lawn into a wildflower meadow - five years of maturity now, and it's looking great!

I'm an admin on a Facebook gardening group and it drives me mad when people ask why they can't get their little patch of green perfect or why matching plants either side of an entryway don't look identical 😠

Nature isn't perfect and expecting/wanting perfection from it leads to unnecessary anxiety, stress and a bad mental state. 

Just fucking enjoy it's perfect imperfections 👍

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
Manicured lawns baffle me, and if you have a big lawn, it's an awful lot of work. I have a small wildflower patch to attract pollinators, which also pollinate the veggies I'm growing. The garden is literally buzzing.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
Manicured lawns are an obsession here too, and quite an unhealthy one because soft, lush, dark green lawns aren't really compatible with the Australian climate, they are very much a colonial affectation. I too like to let nature take its course with mine; I let leaves and flower clippings rot, and have a pile of lawnmower cuttings that is home to about a billion worms.

I was watching Bluey with my kids this afternoon and there's an episode where they're playing in the yard and the dad spends hours mesmerised by the vein patterns on a leaf. I'm a bit like that too, I get a big therapeutic rush from weeding, do the edging with long handled scissors instead of the noisy convenience of a whipper snipper, and I like to lie on the grass when it's dry and watch the bees in the clover and all the other little life forms in the miniature forest the lawn provides.

It never ceases to disgust me how people in this city continually knock down old homes with mature gardens and build these cubic monstrosities that cover nearly every square inch of the block in concrete and plastic. On a summer day you can walk down my street and the temperature goes up 5-10 degrees when you pass a new build. Oh, but they have solar panels! We're saved!

The amount of construction jobs I did in Melbourne for people putting shitty extentions on top of their gardens for their already massive homes was crazy. Or just concreting or flagging over their garden. Madness.

To be fair I did work for a guy who lived on the outskirts of the city, and he said the reason he mowed/manicured his lawn was to: 1) Discourage deadly snakes, and 2) To prevent scrub that might catch during wild fires.

As for leaf blowing, agreed! People take away the sources of nutrients for the soil and wander why their grass doesn't grow.

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
Leak reveals ‘touchy’ issues for UAE’s presidency of UN climate summit

“The UN climate talks have become an oil and gas industry trade show, not the flagship for climate action. An entire industry has successfully co-opted the process and is leading us in a death spiral to climate catastrophe. How far are we prepared to go to make sure that doesn’t happen?”

The document also lists responses to a long series of sensitive issues unrelated to climate and energy including: money laundering, war crimes in Yemen, political prisoners, surveillance and spying, LGBTQIA+ community, freedom of expression, women’s rights and people trafficking. Homosexual sex is illegal in the UAE and journalists have to be registered with the state.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
Nail. Head. Hammer.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8Y_0rjKfyzw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8Y_0rjKfyzw</a>
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
Manicured lawns baffle me, and if you have a big lawn, it's an awful lot of work. I have a small wildflower patch to attract pollinators, which also pollinate the veggies I'm growing. The garden is literally buzzing.

At least most mature lawns will have plants other than grass, and plenty of creatures in the soil. Plastic grass is horrible. I find the very thought of it disturbingly dystopian.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'm an admin on a Facebook gardening group and it drives me mad when people ask why they can't get their little patch of green perfect or why matching plants either side of an entryway don't look identical 😠

Nature isn't perfect and expecting/wanting perfection from it leads to unnecessary anxiety, stress and a bad mental state. 

Just fucking enjoy it's perfect imperfections 👍

It's the perfect imperfections that make it so wonderful, and also really important for our survival.  They don't call it 'Biodiversity' for nothing.  Nothing would work or survive, if it was all the same.  It's the differences/diversity that make links,connections, cycles resilient.

People that like drive me nuts! I don't know if it's a certain dempgraphic that is more likely to be like that.  I love the fact that purple flowers (bluebells, knapweed, orchids etc.) can range from white, to pink, to purple.

My neighbour was telling me how much he loved nature, whilst flame-throwing the 'weeds' in their garden  ;D

I would give discounts to council tax bills, for people that enhance their houses/gardens for nature and the climate.  I'd also penalise people that destroy their gardens by building houses on it etc., or laying artificial grass.
« Last Edit: August 4, 2023, 09:46:19 am by Red-Soldier »

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It's the perfect imperfections that make it so wonderful, and also really important for our survival.  They don't call it 'Biodiversity' for nothing.  Nothing would work or survive, if it was all the same.  It's the differences/diversity that make links,connections, cycles resilient.

People that like drive me nuts! I don't know if it's a certain dempgraphic that is more likely to be like that.  I love the fact that purple flowers (bluebells, knapweed, orchids etc.) can range from white, to pink, to purple.

My neighbour was telling me how much he loved nature, whilst flame-throwing the 'weeds' in their garden  ;D

I would give discounts to council tax bills, for people that enhance their houses/gardens for nature and the climate.  I'd also penalise people that destroy their gardens by building houses on it etc., or laying artificial grass.

Absolutely all that mate. 

On the council part though, they're to blame for a lot of loss of habitat when they agree to planning applications.

We're battling the planners here who refuse to withdraw permission to destroy nearly 30 acres of ancient woodland, that's also a SSSi to build a holiday park housing 250 chalets.

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
At least most mature lawns will have plants other than grass, and plenty of creatures in the soil. Plastic grass is horrible. I find the very thought of it disturbingly dystopian.

It is. And it kind of reflects the lack of awareness of the plastic problem and of the biodiversity crisis, which is a bit disheartening. I'm glad it's causing problems and people are ditching it but really it shouldn't be sold in the first place.

Ach, I guess my issue with manicured lawn stems from renting a place that has a massive lawn, which the landlord wanted cut on a weekly basis. It could've been such a great wildlife haven, but no. So many people like lawns neat and tidy to the point that they'll complain to the council if someone's not meeting their expectations. It bothers me on several levels  >:(

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
Yeah, expansive lawns are annoying and needless. Especially when the most low maintenance thing you could have is a wildflower meadow. The problem is the pursuit of perfection and the illusion of control. My wife said something years ago when I was whinging about doing weeding that stuck with me (she doubtless heard it elsewhere): the easiest way to get rid of weeds is to call them wildflowers. Basically, you just need to embrace the diversity. 

Our deeds, like all the houses in our development, have a provision that our front lawn has to be mowed grass. It's a sizeable area. I want to see if anyone tries to enforce it when I let it grow wild.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
Re: Climate Emergency is already here. How much worse it gets is still up to us (?)
« Reply #4137 on: September 16, 2023, 01:35:16 am »

"OUR HOUSE IS ON FIRE"

So proud and inspired by the youth here in Oregon today. Portland along with at least eight other cities had marches this afternoon. 21 schools here in PDX had students involved. I happened on 400-500 peaceful protestors in downtown earlier. This will catch on I hope with the rest of the country.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Climate Emergency is already here. How much worse it gets is still up to us (?)
« Reply #4138 on: September 16, 2023, 01:37:36 am »
A bunch of brainwashed libtards who hate America and freedumb
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4139 on: September 16, 2023, 09:32:08 am »
"OUR HOUSE IS ON FIRE"

So proud and inspired by the youth here in Oregon today. Portland along with at least eight other cities had marches this afternoon. 21 schools here in PDX had students involved. I happened on 400-500 peaceful protestors in downtown earlier. This will catch on I hope with the rest of the country.

Great stuff.

The youth are definitely putting other demographics to shame, on this one.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #4140 on: September 17, 2023, 08:36:19 pm »
Great stuff.

The youth are definitely putting other demographics to shame, on this one.

They were back at again last night with plans also for tonight. Then they are saying they will be out at least every other evening.

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4141 on: September 18, 2023, 11:36:39 am »
 NYC Climate Week: Health Professionals Demand Fossil Fuel Phase Out Ahead UN Climate Ambition Summit

The health sector is on the front line of the response to the devastating impacts on health we’re already seeing, from floods and heatwaves, from wildfires and the spread of diseases – and we’ve been calling for additional investment to strengthen health systems in the face of these impacts. But unless governments also quit making the crisis worse by continuing to burn fossil fuels, we will quickly exceed the protections any health system can offer.

Corporate profits should never come at the expense of our health. Pollution and the climate crisis directly impacts our health and disproportionately affects our most vulnerable communities, already suffering from the deep inequalities inherent in our current for-profit healthcare system. We are marching because we recognize that our fight for single-payer, universal healthcare for all and health justice is inextricably linked to the fight for racial justice, environmental justice, and an end to fossil fuels.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4142 on: September 18, 2023, 04:41:23 pm »
https://www.channel4.com/programmes/chris-packham-is-it-time-to-break-the-law

Chris Packham attempts to resolve a key dilemma of our times: is it ethically acceptable to break the law to protest against government policies on climate change?

Channel 4 - Wed 20 Sep, 9pm

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4143 on: September 18, 2023, 04:44:26 pm »

Chris Packham attempts to resolve a key dilemma of our times: is it ethically acceptable to break the law to protest against government policies on climate change?

Yes

Simple as that
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4144 on: September 18, 2023, 04:48:53 pm »
Yes

Simple as that
100%

And whilst not looking to derail the thread, I think the answer extends to all government policy.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4145 on: September 18, 2023, 04:50:57 pm »

Already got it set to record 👍

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4146 on: September 19, 2023, 08:59:43 am »
100%

And whilst not looking to derail the thread, I think the answer extends to all government policy.

It's interesting to see that those who oppose the actions of Just Stop Oil, for example, fully support ULEZ cameras being vandalised. Looking forward to Packham's take.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #4147 on: September 19, 2023, 09:10:47 am »

Should be good, but seeing as the Tories have made moves to basically make protesting illegal, "yes"

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4148 on: September 19, 2023, 09:40:47 am »

Make it a constitutional right like in Montana.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4149 on: September 19, 2023, 11:23:55 am »
Protester who held sign outside London climate trial prosecuted

Trudi Warner, 68, prosecuted for contempt of court after protest outside London court

A retired social worker who held up a placard about the rights of jurors outside a trial of climate protesters is being prosecuted for contempt of court by the solicitor general.

The decision to prosecute Trudi Warner, 68, came as it emerged the police were separately investigating at least 12 people on suspicion of attempting to pervert the course of justice for holding up similar signs outside a London court.

Warner, who held up a sign outside Inner London crown court earlier this year on the rights of jurors, has been told in a letter she is to be prosecuted for contempt of court by Michael Tomlinson KC, the solicitor general – a government minister and the Conservative MP for Mid Dorset and North Poole – lawyers confirmed. The case will take place in the high court.

She protested after a judge imposed restrictions on defendants in a series of climate trials that prevented them from mentioning climate change, insulation, fuel poverty or their motivations for taking action during their trials. The civil rights group Liberty labelled the restrictions “deeply concerning”.

Several people who ignored the judge’s restrictions have been jailed for contempt of court. Amy Pritchard and Giovanna Lewis, who were both jailed for seven weeks after they ignored the judge’s ruling not to mention climate change in their address to the jury, are appealing against their conviction for contempt of court.

Warner, who witnessed some of the trials, sat outside Inner London crown court holding a sign that read: “Jurors: you have an absolute right to acquit a defendant according to your conscience.”

She was committed to the Old Bailey for contempt of court proceedings, where a high court judge referred the case to Tomlinson, to decide whether to pursue contempt proceedings or charge her with attempting to pervert the course of justice. He wrote to Warner last Thursday to say he had decided to prosecute her for contempt of court.

A separate investigation is ongoing into allegations of attempting to pervert the course of justice relating to at least 12 people who stood outside Inner London crown court in May holding placards. The inquiry, which is being led by the public order crime unit, is in its early stages.

The 12 have received letters from the Metropolitan police’s specialist public order unit that state: “You have recently been identified as taking part in an incident outside the Inner London crown court … whereby you were seated outside of the court and held a placard with the words; ‘The right of juries – to give their verdict according to their convictions’, in a place where both witnesses and jurors attending trials … could not avoid seeing them.”

The letter went on: “This may amount to an offence under the common law of attempting to pervert the course of justice.”

Tim Crosland, a lawyer and one of those being investigated by the Met, said: “It’s surreal. On the one hand it’s terrifying because that is the situation in this country at the moment, and on the other hand I feel like we are revealing something truthful about the situation, the extreme repression that is happening in this country at the moment in relation to people holding the government to account … and the repression that is happening in courts around trials for people exposing the government’s lies and how desperate the state is to prevent a jury reaching not guilty verdicts in these climate cases.”

The investigation was sparked after Judge Silas Reid referred 24 people to the attorney general this summer after they protested outside his court in May. The group staged a two-day protest outside Inner London crown court in May, holding placards that read: “Jurors have an absolute right to acquit a defendant according to their conscience.”

Scotland Yard said: “On Friday, 21 July the Met received an allegation of perverting the course of justice relating to activity outside of Inner London crown court on Monday 15 May. An investigation is being carried out; no arrests have been made.”

A spokesperson for the attorney general’s Office said: “Contempt of court is a serious matter and the power to issue proceedings is used sparingly. When investigating potential contempt issues, the law officers assess whether the evidential test for the specific form of contempt is met.

“In this case, the law officers considered the deliberate act of doing something that interferes or creates a real risk of interference with the administration of justice, and whether it is in the public interest to begin proceedings for contempt.

“We can confirm the solicitor general has determined to institute proceedings against Trudi Warner in the public interest, it will now be a matter for the court.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/sep/19/protester-who-held-sign-outside-london-climate-trial-prosecuted

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #4150 on: September 19, 2023, 12:58:32 pm »

Trudi Warner, 68, prosecuted for contempt of court after protest outside London court

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/sep/19/protester-who-held-sign-outside-london-climate-trial-prosecuted

This is chilling. It cuts straight to the heart of the justice system, and how these evil Tory scum are trying to curtail established legal rights for people.

This Byline Times article gives some further detail:

https://bylinetimes.com/2023/09/18/activist-who-held-sign-outside-court-informing-jurors-of-right-to-acquit-insulate-britain-activists-could-face-two-years-in-jail/

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4151 on: September 19, 2023, 01:33:06 pm »
The carbon footprint from a single Premier league football match is absolutely huge. 61% of that footprint is fans travelling to matches. If we want to play our part maybe it's time the league looked at some sort of system where only fans who use public transport can attend matches and maybe even ban away fans altogether. It's all well and good pointing fingers but what part is each and every fan playing?

https://www.nortonrosefulbright.com/en/inside-sports-law/blog/2023/06/the-english-premier-league-time-to-get-green#:~:text=A%20recent%20study%20by%20InfoGr8,homes%20for%20an%20entire%20year.

"By way of example, last season Liverpool FC flew from Newcastle back to Liverpool instead of using road travel. The flight was 33 minutes long with 3,000kg of carbon emissions. The corresponding coach journey would have taken 3 hours with 135kg of carbon emissions. However, Liverpool justified their choice by focusing on the fact they had a very short turnaround to their next game and returning so quickly from their fixture against Newcastle aided their preparation. For those clubs playing in Europe and other international competitions, air travel may be unavoidable"
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4152 on: September 19, 2023, 01:43:43 pm »

When it comes to the environment, most sport is shocking!

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4153 on: September 19, 2023, 01:55:52 pm »

Is this satire? 'Kinell.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4154 on: September 19, 2023, 01:57:58 pm »

Yeah it really is but that's for other sports to get their house in order. The point im making is i see and hear a lot of posters here point fingers at whoever, the tories, big business, big oil etc... but what about looking in the mirror? Would they give in away European games to help? How about not travelling London for games etc... Listen im as bad as anyone, i live in Dublin and travelled over for games 3-4 times a year up until a few years back and now i haven't been over in ages and i do miss it but i do want a world for my kids and grandkids to be able to enjoy also. Just think everyone needs to be real about just how bad this crisis is and stop blaming anyone but themselves.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4155 on: September 19, 2023, 02:01:03 pm »

This is chilling
. It cuts straight to the heart of the justice system, and how these evil Tory scum are trying to curtail established legal rights for people.

This Byline Times article gives some further detail:

https://bylinetimes.com/2023/09/18/activist-who-held-sign-outside-court-informing-jurors-of-right-to-acquit-insulate-britain-activists-could-face-two-years-in-jail/

It is.

Hopefully, we kick the bastards out before they can do even more damage to our democracy and civil liberties.

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4156 on: September 19, 2023, 03:21:49 pm »
Is this satire? 'Kinell.

No, just the ugly face of fascism and autocracy.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4157 on: September 19, 2023, 03:33:54 pm »

I think all sport needs to take a serious look at itself and put a stop to all their expansion plans and extra tournaments.

Apart from the extortionate costs involved in hosting, see the commonwealth games, it really is unacceptable the amount of travel involved.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4158 on: September 19, 2023, 08:49:13 pm »

Wait, what - the judge said the defendants weren't allowed to mention the reasons for their actions? What the actual fuck?
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4159 on: September 19, 2023, 09:12:49 pm »
The carbon footprint from a single Premier league football match is absolutely huge. 61% of that footprint is fans travelling to matches. If we want to play our part maybe it's time the league looked at some sort of system where only fans who use public transport can attend matches and maybe even ban away fans altogether. It's all well and good pointing fingers but what part is each and every fan playing?

https://www.nortonrosefulbright.com/en/inside-sports-law/blog/2023/06/the-english-premier-league-time-to-get-green#:~:text=A%20recent%20study%20by%20InfoGr8,homes%20for%20an%20entire%20year.

"By way of example, last season Liverpool FC flew from Newcastle back to Liverpool instead of using road travel. The flight was 33 minutes long with 3,000kg of carbon emissions. The corresponding coach journey would have taken 3 hours with 135kg of carbon emissions. However, Liverpool justified their choice by focusing on the fact they had a very short turnaround to their next game and returning so quickly from their fixture against Newcastle aided their preparation. For those clubs playing in Europe and other international competitions, air travel may be unavoidable"
Yeah it really is but that's for other sports to get their house in order. The point im making is i see and hear a lot of posters here point fingers at whoever, the tories, big business, big oil etc... but what about looking in the mirror? Would they give in away European games to help? How about not travelling London for games etc... Listen im as bad as anyone, i live in Dublin and travelled over for games 3-4 times a year up until a few years back and now i haven't been over in ages and i do miss it but i do want a world for my kids and grandkids to be able to enjoy also. Just think everyone needs to be real about just how bad this crisis is and stop blaming anyone but themselves.
Well. That's a difficult sell for around here. The carbon footprint generated by fans travelling to football matches (even more so, by to international matches) has occurred to me before. But as some of you already know, I am not much of a football fan. It would have been all too easy for me to make the suggestion that football fans should not travel to away games, so I never posted my thoughts on the matter.

It takes a lot of self-reflection to actually make real changes to our personal habits - to inconvenience ourselves or actually lose something - to help effect change more generally. I salute you for both making the sacrifice, and for posting about it.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.