Author Topic: FC Barcelona  (Read 884960 times)

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: FC Barcelona
« Reply #7960 on: August 8, 2021, 01:11:56 pm »
To think, just a few years ago, they had Messi, Neymar and Suarez up front  ;D

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7961 on: August 8, 2021, 01:22:37 pm »
Do I buy him a drink if I ever meet him?  :D

No, he'll buy you one.  The most expensive one on the menu, even if he can't afford it and you don't want or need it.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7962 on: August 8, 2021, 01:23:42 pm »
Bartomeu is basically Peter Ridsdale on steroids, absolutely destroyed Barcelona with his utterly horrific financial mis-management.
Proper Barca fanboy wasn't he, you can imagine him being in absolute awe of Messi, and his fanboyism taking over giving Messi the stupid signing on fee of 100 plus million and loyalty payment of 77 million and $2 million a week wages.

Reminds me of that Ridsdale/Seth Johnson story leaked by his agent, Johnson and his agent were looking at 15-18K a week contract.

Ridsdale opening offer on the table was 45k a week. ;D
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7963 on: August 8, 2021, 01:24:16 pm »
People who say he shouldn't play for free shouldn't be comparing it to normal people who can't and don't do it. Normal people on anything from £15,000 to the average salary of £31,000 wouldn't of course, but he was earning £53,000 AN HOUR. Think about that figure, think about how much money he gets for kicking a ball around a bit of grass. Its a totally different, weird, fucked up world of greed these people inhabit.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #7964 on: August 8, 2021, 01:27:32 pm »
I know it's crazy, stupid money he is on, but how many people does he employ, directly or even indirectly? Are they all expected to take the same pay cut or even work for nothing just because he would.

No one knows what his out goings are. Obviously will be nowhere near what he earns, unless he runs his affairs the same way as his employers.

Can he not just buy a pub and settle down now?

Running a F&B establishment today is a pure money sink and I’m sure he would be advised accordingly
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7965 on: August 8, 2021, 01:30:26 pm »
Playing for free wouldn't have made a difference.

You can question why barca felt the need to give him so much money in his last contract though. That was highly negligent of the board

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
« Reply #7966 on: August 8, 2021, 01:32:44 pm »
People who say he shouldn't play for free shouldn't be comparing it to normal people who can't and don't do it. Normal people on anything from £15,000 to the average salary of £31,000 wouldn't of course, but he was earning £53,000 AN HOUR. Think about that figure, think about how much money he gets for kicking a ball around a bit of grass. Its a totally different, weird, fucked up world of greed these people inhabit.
It's the sports industry and isn't comparible to any other place of work. If you have a talent for something then you shouldn't do it for free - that goes for all walks of life

“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #7967 on: August 8, 2021, 01:35:32 pm »
To think, just a few years ago, they had Messi, Neymar and Suarez up front  ;D
They won the treble as recently as 2015, with ex-player Luis Enrique as manager, and a team of Ter Stegen, Alba, Pique, Mascherano, Alves, Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, Suarez, Neymar and Messi.

If someone had told you back then that 6 years later they'd be €1.3billion in debt, cutting wages, losing Messi, struggling to even register new players until they sell, and that Suarez had just scored his way to the title with Atletico - you'd have said they were mad.

Pandemic or not, the club has been spectacularly mismanaged since the heady heights of that summer, despite the La Liga titles in between.

If only the same fate could one day fall on City and PSG - both of whom would surely have to declare similar debts and be subjected to similar restrictions if their true finances were revealed.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7968 on: August 8, 2021, 01:42:58 pm »
It's the sports industry and isn't comparible to any other place of work. If you have a talent for something then you shouldn't do it for free - that goes for all walks of life

I'm glad your attitude isn't shared by everyone.  If everyone felt the same as you, there would be no charity sector whasoever!

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7969 on: August 8, 2021, 01:43:36 pm »

I don't agree. He is one of one. He is the best in the world at something that nearly everyone in large parts of the world want to do. He has come through more pressure and hard work and discipline that most of us normal people are able to do. Many have the talent and the application. Every professional footballer is probably within .01% of all those that kick a ball in talent and application levels. Among them, Messi is no.1. But not just among those that are playing right now, also very likely among those that have ever player. At least there is an argument that way. I don't begrudge someone that has put the effort in earning any amount of money. If he can get it, good for him.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7970 on: August 8, 2021, 01:45:50 pm »

And he deserves every last penny of it. Pathetic to suggest otherwise.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7971 on: August 8, 2021, 01:47:47 pm »

Deserves £53,000 PER HOUR??????
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7972 on: August 8, 2021, 01:49:07 pm »
Yes

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #7973 on: August 8, 2021, 01:50:43 pm »

In a weird way, one may even say one should feel sorry for Messi.
Money - and especially his and his entourage's collective perception of its value - will be the primary decider for his life action.
Even if his heart says "Barcelona", his mind will overrule and chose "who ever gives me the most money" (PSG or any other humans rights abuser, who cares).

At some point, he may ask himself: Do I own my money, or does my money own me?
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7974 on: August 8, 2021, 01:55:09 pm »
Sports is also one of the quickest ways for someone from the working class/the poor to become enormously wealthy. Of course, it takes incredible sacrifice at a time in their lives when almost everyone else around them falters. For that reason alone, I don't begrudge them making any amount of money. The way I see it, why not?!

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #7975 on: August 8, 2021, 01:56:30 pm »
Messi , for all his millions in the bank - is not free.
He may wish to play for Barcelona or Stoke, or any other club that he fancies. But his slavemaster - €£$ - will only allow him to play for the highest bidder (PSG, or City/Chelsea if they fancy him).

How sad is that?
To be the best footballer in the world, and not be free to do as you wish in life?

He is his own prisoner.
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Online Hoenheim

• Legacy Fan
  • Lovely cushioned header for Gerrard...
« Reply #7976 on: August 8, 2021, 01:58:46 pm »
He is probably the best player to ever play the sport, dragged Barca out of mediocrity by winning a lot of trophies and generating a shit ton of money for the club, why wouldn't he deserve that wage. Mayweather won north of 100 mil for boxing for half an hour,multiple times.
I love Emre Can more than both of my children. Fact

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7977 on: August 8, 2021, 01:59:17 pm »

What a load of shite!

All top footballers (sportspeople) are vastly overpaid, with Messi being the most!  He kicks a ball of inflated leather around a piece of grass, it's not like he does anything important!
« Last Edit: August 8, 2021, 02:01:10 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7978 on: August 8, 2021, 01:59:21 pm »
He may wish to play for Barcelona or Stoke, or any other club that he fancies. But his slavemaster - €£$ - will only allow him to play for the highest bidder (PSG, or City/Chelsea if they fancy him).

How sad is that?
To be the best footballer in the world, and not be free to do as you wish in life?

He is his own prisoner.

Has he told you he only wants to play for the club that offers him the most money?
Why would he join Luton and play for free? Would you do your job for free?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7979 on: August 8, 2021, 01:59:56 pm »
He is probably the best player to ever play the sport, dragged Barca out of mediocrity by winning a lot of trophies and generating a shit ton of money for the club, why wouldn't he deserve that wage. Mayweather won north of 100 mil for boxing for half an hour,multiple times.

Barcelona weren't in mediocrity when he debuted. They had Ronaldinho at the peak of his powers along with Deco, Etoo etc.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7980 on: August 8, 2021, 02:01:07 pm »
What a load of shite!

All top footballers are vastly overpaid, with Messi being the most!  He kicks a ball of inflated leather around a piece of grass, it's not like he does anything important!

And yet you still invest your money, time and emotions in the unimportant act of people kicking a ball of inflated leather around a piece of grass.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7981 on: August 8, 2021, 02:05:01 pm »
And yet you still invest your money, time and emotions in the unimportant act of people kicking a ball of inflated leather around a piece of grass.

Who says I do?? I don't and never will give my money to any top flight club.  I choose to give my time and cash to environmental charities instead - much more derserving I feel.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7982 on: August 8, 2021, 02:11:18 pm »
Who says I do?? I don't and never will give my money to any top flight club.  I choose to give my time and cash to environmental charities instead - much more derserving I feel.

Perhaps you are true to your words and do not engage with any aspect of the sport including, for example, news articles about football. Nonetheless, there are hundreds of millions around the world that do spend a lot of money watching the sport and participating in the general circus around it. Messi commands the attention of a significant chunk of these and therefore he is able to command a significant share of those revenues. He is by that rationale making exactly what he deserves.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #7983 on: August 8, 2021, 02:13:29 pm »
For those wondering why he didn't just play for free

Colin Millar@Millar_Colin
It would have been legally impossible for Lionel Messi to play for free at Barcelona. Any new contract is, by Spanish law, required to be a minimum of 50 percent of previous wage (this is in place to avoid financial manipulation).

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7984 on: August 8, 2021, 02:21:08 pm »
From my teens to my mid 30's, I had the time of my life. Parties, alcohol, festivals, all nighters, existing on junk food and basically just having a blast.

I'm not saying they don't have other fun, but anyone who wants to be a top player has to sacrifice ALL of that, without even the assurance they'll get there (innate talent & opportunity you can do little to control) along with the knowledge that the next tackle can end that career.

I won't say top players deserve their wages, but I'll also never say that they don't.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #7985 on: August 8, 2021, 02:21:55 pm »

How sad is that?

He is his own prisoner.

His father is his agent. So maybe child slavery is still allowed in Argentina.

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7986 on: August 8, 2021, 02:24:48 pm »
What a load of shite!

All top footballers (sportspeople) are vastly overpaid, with Messi being the most!  He kicks a ball of inflated leather around a piece of grass, it's not like he does anything important!
Do you feel just as passionate about the sort of fees Tom Cruise picks up for each Mission Impossible film? He's just acting, it's not like he does anything important.

Sportsmen bring more joy than actors ever will, yet the 'overpaid' thing is never thrown in their direction.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7987 on: August 8, 2021, 02:34:48 pm »

You've never been to a single Liverpool game?
You've never bought a replica shirt?
You've never bought a single piece of memorabilia?
You've never placed a bet?
You've never subscribed to Sky or BT?
You've never been to a pub showing a game?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7988 on: August 8, 2021, 02:38:59 pm »
Perhaps you are true to your words and do not engage with any aspect of the sport including, for example, news articles about football. Nonetheless, there are hundreds of millions around the world that do spend a lot of money watching the sport and participating in the general circus around it. Messi commands the attention of a significant chunk of these and therefore he is able to command a significant share of those revenues. He is by that rationale making exactly what he deserves.

I am all for the players and not the owners taking money out of the game but fuck me to say that any man is worth £50,000+ph is crackers.

The game is fucked because all clubs and payers are greedy bastards,fuck ffp (even though it is needed asap) the owners should be reducing tickets prices,£20-30 is the maximum we should be forced to pay & that reduction in revenue should come out of the players salaries.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7989 on: August 8, 2021, 02:39:04 pm »
Deserves £53,000 PER HOUR??????
He generated the club more than that PER HOUR, by multiples in revenue and exposure worldwide, that will vastly diminish now

Economy of scale, the numbers quoted are always the players wage and not the positive £££ he brings to the club

And Barcelona know it
« Last Edit: August 8, 2021, 02:42:00 pm by Bangin Them In »
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7990 on: August 8, 2021, 02:40:41 pm »
It will need a stupidly huge club to fold for people to understand how precarious finances are in sport. May e Barcelona can be that martyr

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #7991 on: August 8, 2021, 02:41:33 pm »
Has he told you he only wants to play for the club that offers him the most money?
Why would he join Luton and play for free? Would you do your job for free?

Everyone has a choice.
If I choose I will do my job for free.

The hypocricy is Messi crying or shedding tears and claiming he wanted to play for Barcelona but circumstances prevented this.
That is hogwash and pure dishonesty from him.

There are multiple avenues open to him and his highly paid advisory firms to figure out ways to play for Barcelona if he so wished e.g. not playing for free, but say, instead, investing some of his millions in the club. Or something financial and accounting people can figure out, on his command.

The real and simple truth is: He prefers the cash, regardless of where it comes from , and therefore is moving to PSG.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Would be totally fine to do this, as any of us in his position would as well. Totally behind this.

But what I find distasteful is pretending that it is anything other than this. He is a hypocrite.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7992 on: August 8, 2021, 02:42:12 pm »
Because it's dragged the biggest club in the world by revenue close to bankruptcy? Do you think the contract, the fact it meant everyone else's wages had to be increased and the board having to spend eyewatering sums on a team he thought was good enough was, in the end, worth it? They were already European champions the year he made his debut.

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7993 on: August 8, 2021, 02:47:25 pm »
Everyone has a choice.

The hypocricy is Messi crying or shedding tears and claiming he wanted to play for Barcelona but circumstances prevented this.

There are multiple avenues open to him and his highly paid advisory firms to figure out ways to play for Barcelona if he so wished e.g. not playing for free, but say, instead, investing some of his millions in the club. Or something financial and accounting people can figure out, on his command.

The real and simple truth is: He prefers the cash, regardless of where it comes from , and therefore is moving to PSG.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Would be totally fine to do this, as any of us in his position would as well. Totally behind this.

But what I find distasteful is pretending that it is anything other than this. He is a hypocrite.
Every player does this when they leave

Grealish with Villa, Kane when he leaves Spurs, whoever leaves always tells tales of woe and how they didn't want it that way

Then they sleep on a bed of cash, Messi is no worse or better, the clubs agree the contracts, they can chose how much they will pay, anyone would take the money, even if it is ludicrous, we'd all laugh our way to ridiculous wealth, to say otherwise is the hypocrisy
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #7994 on: August 8, 2021, 02:50:08 pm »
Just to put those wages into context, he was earning in 5 hours what Mo Salah earns in a week, and it’s not like Mo is going hungry. Messi’s past greed and the inflationary pressure that then has on his teammates pay is one of the reasons why the club are in the mess that they are in.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7995 on: August 8, 2021, 02:51:37 pm »
Everyone has a choice.

You're a bit thick aren't you?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7996 on: August 8, 2021, 02:54:15 pm »
Just to put those wages into context, he was earning in 5 hours what Mo Salah earns in a week, and it’s not like Mo is going hungry. Messi’s past greed and the inflationary pressure that then has on his teammates pay is one of the reasons why the club are in the mess that they are in.

I'll laugh my tits off if he ends up being the reason why Barca end up fucked for a decade of more.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7997 on: August 8, 2021, 02:55:40 pm »

We can't all be as enlightened as you :wanker

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7998 on: August 8, 2021, 02:57:27 pm »

I am all for the players and not the owners taking money out of the game but fuck me to say that any man is worth £50,000+ph is crackers.

The game is fucked because all clubs and payers are greedy bastards,fuck ffp (even though it is needed asap) the owners should be reducing tickets prices,£20-30 is the maximum we should be forced to pay & that reduction in revenue should come out of the players salaries.

It's not so much about greed. This is supply and demand in action. If everyone decided tomorrow morning that 20 pounds is all anyone would pay to watch a game, that subscriptions to Sky Sports/BT Sports/NBC etc should not be more than 5 pounds per month and voted with their wallet, the figures that athletes earn would come tumbling down. At the moment, we continue to tolerate these prices. And therefore the clubs continue to charge what they do and players earn what they do, broadcasters charge what they can. This is not greed at any individual sector.

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #7999 on: August 8, 2021, 02:57:57 pm »

I m actually thicc ;)

Also, I am wide.
I aspire to be broad, in general.