Author Topic: Newcastle - RIP Jamal Khashoggi; Free Salma al-Shehab  (Read 1931660 times)

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Newcastle United - RIP Jamal Khashoggi
« Reply #19360 on: March 13, 2022, 09:14:16 pm »
Maybe focus the blame on the Premier Leauge who allowed this to happen and the UK government who not only takes money from them but also allow them to have investments at all sectors in the UK that generates money instead of abusing football managers.

I understand what you're trying to get at but get to fuck man.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #19361 on: March 13, 2022, 09:14:44 pm »
Maybe focus the blame on the Premier Leauge who allowed this to happen and the UK government who not only takes money from them but also allow them to have investments at all sectors in the UK that generates money instead of abusing football managers.

what’s that abuse then? You think calling someone a prick or a coward or whatever other terrible words a few of us throw around here at cowardly pricks like Eddie Howe is ‘abuse’? I’m sure he’ll cope.

Yes, the PL need taking to task about who they allow to own clubs for sure.  That doesn’t mean those who gladly turn a blind eye to take the dirty money should be allowed a free ride. Sure, Howe doesn't have to to be brave and try and answer some tough non football questions, but because he won’t isn’t a reason to stop asking.  Any way the media can keep it front and centre and not make life comfortable for anyone involved with these clubs, then that is what they should be doing.

Offline LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #19362 on: March 13, 2022, 09:46:19 pm »
Good piece in The Guardian, calling for Premier League action:
...'the only hope is that the events of the past two weeks serve as a reckoning for English football: a realisation that the Premier League must develop a spine and be stronger on who is deemed a fit and proper person to own a club. It is time to start asking proper questions. The stench will not go away until that happens.'

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2022/mar/13/stamford-bridge-hosts-dark-day-for-those-who-care-for-footballs-soul-chelsea-newcastle-roman-abramovich

Very good article that, hopefully it will be read by lots of people.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #19363 on: March 13, 2022, 09:58:08 pm »
Asking an integral component of the sports wash a legitimate question is not abuse.

You are, in my humble opinion, correct with the rest of your post, though. Serious questions need not only be asked of the PL and the government, but also properly answered.

Players, managers and fanbases working for and backing these regimes all have legitimate questions to answer too though. They are all cogs in the sports wash projects.

I'm sure the likes of Eddie Howe can cope with being called a few names. At least he isn't going to be executed for having a belief different to ours. Shame that can't be said about people living under the regime that employs him.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 10:02:22 pm by Son of Spion »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #19364 on: March 13, 2022, 10:08:42 pm »
tariq panja
@tariqpanja
More from Eddie Howe when asked about Saudi: I’m just going to answer questions on the game and football. I'm still bitterly disappointed from the defeat so I think it's only right that I stick to football.

Good to know that the next time they win it seems he'll be happy to answer the question and not just "stick to football" like after a defeat.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline lfc79

• Kopite
« Reply #19365 on: March 13, 2022, 10:12:57 pm »
The sad truth is its difficult to completely avoid these issues while the situation in ukraine is going on and the premier league are putting on a show of solidarity, once this goes away it will be back to business as usual as far as city and Newcastle go, no mention at all on any sky programmes or pundits, no coverage of any protests at games, those journalists who bring it up being excluded from clubs and stories being discouraged by newspaper editors.
Fuckin Pep the balls, independence and freedom for Catalonia while being paid by a dictatorship.

Offline Jack_Bauer

• Kopite
« Reply #19366 on: March 13, 2022, 10:57:14 pm »
The Newcastle fans also have their Saudi banner on display vs Chelsea today - the day after the Saudis executed 81 people:-

^ 'Newcastle fans stand: a Saudi flag and a Ukrainian one.' - https://twitter.com/antoguerrera/status/1503010440573554688

'Newcastle fans outside SB singing: “we’re richer than you”' - https://twitter.com/MiguelDelaney/status/1502995953074196486
I guess the hypocrisy is lost on that lot then.

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19367 on: March 13, 2022, 10:59:25 pm »
Asking an integral component of the sports wash a legitimate question is not abuse.

You are, in my humble opinion, correct with the rest of your post, though. Serious questions need not only be asked of the PL and the government, but also properly answered.

Players, managers and fanbases working for and backing these regimes all have legitimate questions to answer too though. They are all cogs in the sports wash projects.

I'm sure the likes of Eddie Howe can cope with being called a few names. At least he isn't going to be executed for having a belief different to ours. Shame that can't be said about people living under the regime that employs him.

You are right. I should have used a better word.
I am just angry that the people who actually responsible for this situation are free to hand football clubs to countries no questions asked and at the same time allowing them to cheat and IMO asking a football manager questions like this won't change anything,the media tried everything to prevent Newcastle takeover after what happened at Chelsea and City and nothing changed, the Premier League made the deal go ahead and in the future the same media will be talking about how they are the best team in the world like what they are saying about City now and the Premier Leauge will allow another country maybe Qatar to buy football club.

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19368 on: March 14, 2022, 12:26:31 pm »
Adam Crafton of the Athletic on twitter yesterday.

''I've previously asked questions to PIF press officers (who are British/American obviously) as well as the Saudi embassy in London and the ministry of media. They have never responded on the record. Which leaves journalists with only Howe left to ask.

Do Newcastle supporters not find it a bit peculiar that a fund would acquire 80% of the club, but choose that only minority partners or staff speak for them? I would certainly value more engagement from PIF, because then you can tell a more rounded story, but so far nada.''

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #19369 on: March 14, 2022, 12:37:45 pm »
Adam Crafton of the Athletic on twitter yesterday.

''I've previously asked questions to PIF press officers (who are British/American obviously) as well as the Saudi embassy in London and the ministry of media. They have never responded on the record. Which leaves journalists with only Howe left to ask.

Do Newcastle supporters not find it a bit peculiar that a fund would acquire 80% of the club, but choose that only minority partners or staff speak for them? I would certainly value more engagement from PIF, because then you can tell a more rounded story, but so far nada.''

That's interesting. It also allows journalists to keep on questioning Eddie Howe without appearing to be harassing him. "As it is absolutely impossible to get any response from the press officers of PIF on this crucial question for English football......."
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #19370 on: March 14, 2022, 01:04:22 pm »
You are right. I should have used a better word.
I am just angry that the people who actually responsible for this situation are free to hand football clubs to countries no questions asked and at the same time allowing them to cheat and IMO asking a football manager questions like this won't change anything,the media tried everything to prevent Newcastle takeover after what happened at Chelsea and City and nothing changed, the Premier League made the deal go ahead and in the future the same media will be talking about how they are the best team in the world like what they are saying about City now and the Premier Leauge will allow another country maybe Qatar to buy football club.
I think most sensible football fans would share your frustration there. I certainly do myself.

Of course, asking a team manager these questions won't change the world in itself, but it's a way in. It's a way of at least getting the door open just a little. Going all in in print might well see journalists sued by extremely wealthy people employing extremely expensive lawyers. Often, it's the drip feed or the snowball effect that gets the ball and the momentum going. Small steps that maybe lead to a building of momentum which may ultimately bring change.

So, for me, it's about getting that initial foothold. Prising the door open where it was previously not only shut, but also locked. Putting questions to sports wash managers might be a soft target, but certainly a legitimate one that at least sees some daylight getting through that previously closed door.

Hopefully, the few voices speaking up are then joined by bigger voices and, eventually, those much further up the chain, like the PL etc are finally confronted fully.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #19371 on: March 14, 2022, 01:12:04 pm »
Both Ian Wright and Dan Murphy were questioning how effective is that Fit and Proper test.

If it is not being used effectively then why is the rule sitting there? It ought to be something with some significance. How bad must someone be in order to be unfit?

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19372 on: March 14, 2022, 01:14:59 pm »
Both Ian Wright and Dan Murphy were questioning how effective is that Fit and Proper test.

If it is not being used effectively then why is the rule sitting there? It ought to be something with some significance. How bad must someone be in order to be unfit?

They should use the fit and proper test on pundits too. Murphy is a goner.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #19373 on: March 14, 2022, 01:24:20 pm »
Hopefully the few putting their heads above the parapet will encourage others to do so too now.

Until now, it was like trying to roll the snowball uphill. But now, the momentum is going the other way. So it's just a case of how big it gets and how far its momentum takes it.

Sometimes, it just takes one to say "I'm Spartacus" before others will make a stand too.

Problem was the threat of legal action against anyone who mentioned it. Look at ADFC and the lawyers they mobilised. Plus we could never jeopardise the arms sales to these regimes🤷‍♂️
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19374 on: March 14, 2022, 01:27:29 pm »
I'm surprised by the number of journalists bringing up the Saudi ownership but why is no one questioning Pep about Citys owners, have City threatened journos with their lawyers if they dare question him?

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19375 on: March 14, 2022, 01:44:27 pm »
They should use the fit and proper test on pundits too. Murphy is a goner.

Touché !

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #19376 on: March 14, 2022, 02:59:26 pm »

'Eddie Howe's inability to condemn 81 executions in Saudi Arabia proves sportswashing works':-

It is possible to sympathise with Newcastle United manager's difficult position but he knew the job he was taking

www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/03/14/eddie-howes-inability-condemn-81-executions-saudi-arabia-proves

Spoiler
In the press room at Stamford Bridge Eddie Howe shifted in his seat. The Newcastle United manager probably expected the questions to come but it did not mean he looked remotely comfortable, or convincing, dealing with them.

Being asked to condemn the execution of 81 men in Saudi Arabia is not the most complex request but Howe did not feel able to do so. It meant that his non-response – only here to talk about football, that is his focus – was proof that ‘sportswashing’ works for the Saudis.

It particularly jarred when Howe added: “I am going to talk football. That’s all I am concerned with.” Really? Is that all Howe is concerned with? It was a statement that surely with hindsight he would retract or qualify.

This is not to attack Howe. It is possible to have sympathy for him in being asked to talk about such issues directly after a Premier League football match when his opening remarks referred to a different kind of injustice after Newcastle were wrongly not awarded a penalty against Chelsea.

It is also possible to have sympathy with him – and with Thomas Tuchel – for being forced to talk about subjects they have no agency in. It does not feel quite right to ask such questions in that environment but, equally, it is not wrong to do so. After all, it has simply never been the case that sport and politics do not mix: both are part of life.

Howe should not be beyond criticism, however. Having taken the highly-paid job at Newcastle, and knowing how high profile and controversial the takeover was, Howe cannot really complain if he is asked about the actions of the Saudi state.

He knew who the club’s owners were when he said ‘yes’ to that job offer. Newcastle is 80 per cent owned by the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia and the chairman of that fund is Mohamed bin Salman who is the Saudi Crown Prince. Did it not ever cross his mind to consider that he would be questioned about human rights in Saudi Arabia at some stage and he would have to square that? Did someone who is clearly intelligent and thoughtful and who does his research not, frankly, do his research and consider how it would affect him?

Nobody is denying this is a complex issue. The Saudis were allowed to buy into Newcastle by the Premier League once they proved the club was not ‘state-owned’ and once the piracy of television rights ended, the UK does huge amounts of business with the Saudis.
[close]

Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #19377 on: March 14, 2022, 05:42:18 pm »
I'm surprised by the number of journalists bringing up the Saudi ownership but why is no one questioning Pep about Citys owners, have City threatened journos with their lawyers if they dare question him?
I would not be surprised if that happened. City are highly litigious because it works for them.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #19378 on: March 14, 2022, 06:15:35 pm »
Someone literally asked him that on the pitch after a cup final win didn't they, a couple of years ago. He responded with ridicule.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19379 on: March 14, 2022, 08:27:31 pm »
@sebusher
#SaudiArabia: Head of religious police - هيئة - speaks on mass execution of 81 men - “One of the most legitimate actions is to preserve religion, lives and money & one of  the ways to achieve that is to eliminate violators & eradicate them”

https://twitter.com/sebusher/status/1502745529897398275?s=20&t=oFstBFBLtUY3NMpcAiHQlw
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #19380 on: March 14, 2022, 08:30:14 pm »
@sebusher
#SaudiArabia: Head of religious police - هيئة - speaks on mass execution of 81 men - “One of the most legitimate actions is to preserve religion, lives and money & one of  the ways to achieve that is to eliminate violators & eradicate them”

https://twitter.com/sebusher/status/1502745529897398275?s=20&t=oFstBFBLtUY3NMpcAiHQlw

Well he's convinced me. Nothing to see here.

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19381 on: March 14, 2022, 08:33:08 pm »
@AliAlAhmed_en
A list of protesters & activists executed today by the foreign-backed #Saudi #MBS & his Klan. 1-Hussain Ahmed Al-Ojami #Qatif #Ukraine 
@USAinKSA

https://twitter.com/AliAlAhmed_en/status/1502795776220708874?s=20&t=OBekrA4uu0L_JkytcDcXEQ
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19382 on: March 14, 2022, 08:41:23 pm »
@sebusher

So they still employ Inquisitors.

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
  • We had Shankly and the Kop at Liverpool...
« Reply #19383 on: March 14, 2022, 08:54:36 pm »
Gary Neville, one of the world's finest minds, has stated on Monday Night Football that Eddie Howe, as a "football person" wasn't prepared to be asked about mass executions. Well blow me down with a feather.

The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the Kop make you feel great - yet humble. I'm just one of the people...

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #19384 on: March 14, 2022, 08:56:21 pm »
Well he's convinced me. Nothing to see here.

It's proof there's no God. God wouldn't have given these c*nts oil.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19385 on: March 14, 2022, 09:42:37 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7D1FUaQen3U" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7D1FUaQen3U</a>

Yes, Dave, you worm, journalists need to keep asking these questions - but we realize they might be dismembered in an embassy if they do.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #19386 on: March 14, 2022, 10:11:07 pm »
What is Howe supposed to say?
"They are a fecking brutal murderous regime full of religous nutters"

They pay his wages, if not his there will be thousands of managers ready to jump in for a massive payday, just ask the toon fans, they wont give a feck, they only care that they can now spunk whatever money they want on whoever they want, doubt any of them give a shit about human rights abuses.

The point not to pressure Howe into giving an answer, they know what he'll say. It's more trying to bring it to the forefront of the media. One slip or if he hits out a little and that question suddenly becomes more relevant and hitting mainstream media.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #19387 on: March 15, 2022, 02:01:21 pm »

'“There’s a responsibility for sport and sport governing bodies to do the right thing.”

The Minister for Sport says it is a matter for the Premier League if it emerges that the Saudi state has considerable involvement in the running of Newcastle':-

https://twitter.com/FootballJOE/status/1503721752492486660 (with video)

^ passing the buck and distancing themselves from any fallout & responsibility already, eh?

« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 02:18:46 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19388 on: March 15, 2022, 03:03:47 pm »
'“There’s a responsibility for sport and sport governing bodies to do the right thing.”

The Minister for Sport says it is a matter for the Premier League if it emerges that the Saudi state has considerable involvement in the running of Newcastle':-

https://twitter.com/FootballJOE/status/1503721752492486660 (with video)

^ passing the buck and distancing themselves from any fallout & responsibility already, eh?

if it emerges....sporting integrity....what the hell - is today April fool's day??

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19389 on: March 15, 2022, 04:09:46 pm »
I take that as the government passing the buck because they need the Saudis to up oil production. There may be an undercurrent of encouraging the PL to do something about strengthening the fit and proper persons test and also about tightening FFP so that sponsorships connected to owners are limited. This would save the government from having to engage with the issues currently spotlighted and causing them such grief.

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19390 on: March 15, 2022, 04:24:30 pm »
'Eddie Howe's inability to condemn 81 executions in Saudi Arabia proves sportswashing works':-

It is possible to sympathise with Newcastle United manager's difficult position but he knew the job he was taking

www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/03/14/eddie-howes-inability-condemn-81-executions-saudi-arabia-proves

Spoiler
In the press room at Stamford Bridge Eddie Howe shifted in his seat. The Newcastle United manager probably expected the questions to come but it did not mean he looked remotely comfortable, or convincing, dealing with them.

Being asked to condemn the execution of 81 men in Saudi Arabia is not the most complex request but Howe did not feel able to do so. It meant that his non-response – only here to talk about football, that is his focus – was proof that ‘sportswashing’ works for the Saudis.

It particularly jarred when Howe added: “I am going to talk football. That’s all I am concerned with.” Really? Is that all Howe is concerned with? It was a statement that surely with hindsight he would retract or qualify.

This is not to attack Howe. It is possible to have sympathy for him in being asked to talk about such issues directly after a Premier League football match when his opening remarks referred to a different kind of injustice after Newcastle were wrongly not awarded a penalty against Chelsea.

It is also possible to have sympathy with him – and with Thomas Tuchel – for being forced to talk about subjects they have no agency in. It does not feel quite right to ask such questions in that environment but, equally, it is not wrong to do so. After all, it has simply never been the case that sport and politics do not mix: both are part of life.

Howe should not be beyond criticism, however. Having taken the highly-paid job at Newcastle, and knowing how high profile and controversial the takeover was, Howe cannot really complain if he is asked about the actions of the Saudi state.

He knew who the club’s owners were when he said ‘yes’ to that job offer. Newcastle is 80 per cent owned by the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia and the chairman of that fund is Mohamed bin Salman who is the Saudi Crown Prince. Did it not ever cross his mind to consider that he would be questioned about human rights in Saudi Arabia at some stage and he would have to square that? Did someone who is clearly intelligent and thoughtful and who does his research not, frankly, do his research and consider how it would affect him?

Nobody is denying this is a complex issue. The Saudis were allowed to buy into Newcastle by the Premier League once they proved the club was not ‘state-owned’ and once the piracy of television rights ended, the UK does huge amounts of business with the Saudis.
[close]

I have little sympathy, he chose to take their blood money.
In the end the chance for tainted success and a big pay day meant more than his personal integrity or the integrity of the game he has earned his comfortable living from.
I hope the journos keep asking him and making  him squirm. It doesn't matter what he replies with, it keeps the whole issue front and centre and in the news, something the sports-washers don't want.
Trouble is these regimes can easily pay people off, afford the most expensive lawyers and they have the government and authorities in their pocket as well.

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19391 on: March 15, 2022, 04:33:33 pm »
I have little sympathy, he chose to take their blood money.
In the end the chance for tainted success and a big pay day meant more than his personal integrity or the integrity of the game he has earned his comfortable living from.
I hope the journos keep asking him and making  him squirm. It doesn't matter what he replies with, it keeps the whole issue front and centre and in the news, something the sports-washers don't want.
Trouble is these regimes can easily pay people off, afford the most expensive lawyers and they have the government and authorities in their pocket as well.
The journalists should go as far as not asking any questions about the games. Just continue asking questions about the owners. Same with Man City.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #19392 on: March 15, 2022, 04:58:02 pm »
The journalists should go as far as not asking any questions about the games. Just continue asking questions about the owners. Same with Man City.

Ha, that would be great actually. Ask Q about owners, get brushed off. Press officer says "are there any further questions?" Journalists shrug and say "nothing else as important, thanks".
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline lukeb1981

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19393 on: March 15, 2022, 08:10:06 pm »
 ;D

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19394 on: March 16, 2022, 12:22:53 am »
There's definitely a changing tide amongst mainstream football journalism, it needs to be maintained. Journalists have real power to ensure these issues remain in the forefront of the average football fan's mind. Even Neville's speaking a lot of sense about the state of the game at a wider scale than just Abramovic. The fact that the government have deemed Russian money unwelcome naturally leads to questions about Saudi Arabian and Emirati money. Neville mentioned the potential for a ruling that determines state ownership isn't allowed - that seems like something that is implementable and would actually make a huge difference. An independent body being brought in to monitor the sport would surely see that as an objectively sensible move. There's often been a sense of helpless resignation and talk that the horse has already bolted - but that doesn't necessarily need to be the case, some restrictions can occur retrospectively.

Anyway, this type of discussion and continued pressure needs to continue whilst momentum is building. Even if that means Eddie "nice guy" Howe has some uncomfortable press conferences. In fact, especially if that means Eddie "nice guy" Howe has some uncomfortable press conferences.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19395 on: March 16, 2022, 11:25:30 am »
Eddie Howe continued on in response to the ownership question to say that he will endeavour to learn more about the issues.

"Obviously part of my job now in the modern football management scene is to know what's going on around the world, and I will have to do that.

"But football will have to be and will always be my passion and it will always be the main crux of my job, and I think that's where my time needs to be spent."

So basically "I plead ignorance your honour."

Absolutely pathetic and cowardly as you can get. What a guy.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #19396 on: March 16, 2022, 11:38:38 am »
Eddie Howe continued on in response to the ownership question to say that he will endeavour to learn more about the issues.

"Obviously part of my job now in the modern football management scene is to know what's going on around the world, and I will have to do that.

"But football will have to be and will always be my passion and it will always be the main crux of my job, and I think that's where my time needs to be spent."

So basically "I plead ignorance your honour."

Absolutely pathetic and cowardly as you can get. What a guy.

Safe to say Howe didn’t expect any of this, maybe he saw what an easy ride Guardiola got/gets from the English media, or maybe he is so dense and thoughtless and ignorant that he didn’t see anything wrong with working for Saudi Arabia.

They need to keep at it, the press better not take a step back now thinking they’ve done their bit. And they need to start showing some guts and go after Mr Untouchable himself, Pep Guardiola.

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19397 on: March 16, 2022, 12:14:15 pm »
Safe to say Howe didn’t expect any of this, maybe he saw what an easy ride Guardiola got/gets from the English media, or maybe he is so dense and thoughtless and ignorant that he didn’t see anything wrong with working for Saudi Arabia.

They need to keep at it, the press better not take a step back now thinking they’ve done their bit. And they need to start showing some guts and go after Mr Untouchable himself, Pep Guardiola.
It needs to happen in every single press conference. For the first time it seems the tide is starting to turn against these horrendous owners. Abramovich is almost gone, it’s looking like Chelsea will be taken over by some kind of consortium, which means they will be run as a business and not have unlimited dirty money.
More pressure needs to follow for the sovereign state owned clubs.

Btw, Eddie Howe is a complete and utter shithouse.
I’m no fan of Tuchel but Atleast he has commented to a certain extent and answered questions.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 12:15:53 pm by JRed »

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19398 on: March 16, 2022, 12:15:17 pm »
Some of these journalists need to be careful - if they like their limbs! They might try to lure Tariq to an embassy soon enough!

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19399 on: March 16, 2022, 12:32:26 pm »
Some of these journalists need to be careful - if they like their limbs! They might try to lure Tariq to an embassy soon enough!

Aye, Tariq Panja might have made his way on to MBS's list by now (the one that he maintains Khashoggi wasn't on)

As Tariq tweeted this morning about Howe;

He took the job in the full knowledge of who his owners were. He wasn't grandfathered in. It's precisely thanks to who those people are that he finds himself as the figurehead of their project.