Author Topic: Top Boy  (Read 18217 times)

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Top Boy
« Reply #120 on: March 24, 2022, 03:24:25 pm »
Really good - ending even better

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #121 on: March 24, 2022, 04:12:53 pm »
Really good - ending even better

Watched the first seven, the intensity of the Curtis scenes is off the scale.

Sort of dreading episode 8... :D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: March 27, 2022, 08:12:48 pm »
Enjoying the latest season, Kano/Sully remains the standout as always.

This show has to have set a record for the amount of teeth sucking in a tv show though.

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #123 on: March 27, 2022, 10:41:32 pm »
(Kisses Teeth) that was an excellent series, say nuttin innit.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #124 on: March 28, 2022, 02:08:31 pm »
Finished it over the weekend and loved it! Some things that stood out were Sully again stole the show, Curtis was a great addition and played a brilliant role. It was clever how he never actually hit his partner but the abuse was still very much there! Loved the scene on the balcony with Dushane and Sully, I was getting Avon and Stringer vibes from their balcony chat in the Wire  ;D

Only gripe and it's a very minor one was some of the accents were way off, Mainly the supporting cast but the slang were a bit off.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: March 28, 2022, 02:24:39 pm »
It will never return to the rather rough around the edges show it was in season one and two where it was on terrestrial TV but it was still really good and shows how you can add hollywood gloss to a series without it becoming over stylised (take note, Peaky Blinders).

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #126 on: March 28, 2022, 02:24:58 pm »
Finished it over the weekend and loved it! Some things that stood out were Sully again stole the show, Curtis was a great addition and played a brilliant role. It was clever how he never actually hit his partner but the abuse was still very much there! Loved the scene on the balcony with Dushane and Sully, I was getting Avon and Stringer vibes from their balcony chat in the Wire  ;D

Spoiler
Curtis' role was a real brilliant way of showing how abuse doesn't have to be physical. So much of this series felt it was pushing messages on social issues, and it was all done so well while still trying to keep the Top Boy story going. Sully was the show stealer again, incredible to think how little acting Kano has done, yet still puts such a convincing performance in every series. I saw some criticism of the end around, so feared coming in here but nice to see many liked it.

Sully had so much reason to do what he did, both with his past character being fairly unpredictable with what he does, and also the actual thinking he would have had in doing it. I loved the subtle look at Stef, showing a momentary thought of his constant references of family being so important, before flipping back to the ruthlessness he has always shown
[close]
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 02:27:43 pm by Elzar »
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #127 on: March 28, 2022, 02:30:39 pm »
It will never return to the rather rough around the edges show it was in season one and two where it was on terrestrial TV but it was still really good and shows how you can add hollywood gloss to a series without it becoming over stylised (take note, Peaky Blinders).

Agree, the original 2 series either had to be left alone, or taken in a direction where we would see some slightly over the top scenes (Peckham as an example), but they did it in a good way.

We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: April 1, 2022, 08:49:27 am »
Finished it last night, really good. The ending was boss and Sully is a bad man ye get me?

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #129 on: April 1, 2022, 08:55:32 am »
Halfway through it now (presume there’s 10 episodes again) and I love the way all the storylines are built up slowly. Really good so far.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: April 1, 2022, 08:56:40 am »
Halfway through it now (presume there’s 10 episodes again) and I love the way all the storylines are built up slowly. Really good so far.

8!
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: April 1, 2022, 08:58:01 am »
Finished it last night, really good. The ending was boss and Sully is a bad man ye get me?

Sully is amazing.

Spoiler
Despite him killing off an amazing character in Jamie, you can still not hate Sully.
[close]

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: April 1, 2022, 09:06:13 am »
Sully is amazing.

Spoiler
Despite him killing off an amazing character in Jamie, you can still not hate Sully.
[close]

So true. Interested to see where they go in the next season, Deshane must be feeling the pressure.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #133 on: April 1, 2022, 09:23:29 am »
8!

Oof, thanks for the tip off! I’d be annoyed to get to the end of episode 8 wondering where they go next and then discover it’s finished!

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #134 on: April 1, 2022, 09:41:21 am »
So true. Interested to see where they go in the next season, Deshane must be feeling the pressure.

Spoiler
A logical long term follow on would see the next series showing the evolution of Stef as he decides he wants some sort of revenge - Then have that run alongside Dushane and Sully going separate ways while also trying to leave the set up for Jaq to run fully. Dushane will no doubt be getting into a legit business world, but have to keep coming back into it to sort things out.

Also think Tia will become a bigger character in the next series.

The good thing about Top Boy though is that it never seems to go the way you expect :D
[close]

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: April 1, 2022, 09:44:08 am »
Oof, thanks for the tip off! I’d be annoyed to get to the end of episode 8 wondering where they go next and then discover it’s finished!

Ha trust me, the ending is very much the ending, there would have been no doubts!
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #136 on: April 1, 2022, 09:54:27 am »
Ha trust me, the ending is very much the ending, there would have been no doubts!

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: April 1, 2022, 10:24:42 am »
Next season confirmed to start filming in the summer

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #138 on: April 2, 2022, 02:03:38 am »
Sully is amazing.

Spoiler
[close]

I do.

Spoiler
Hate is pushing it because Kano plays him well, but I don't get the love for Sully at all. He cried about Dushane stitching Jamie and his brothers up, even though Dushane got them out of trouble...then proceeds to kill Jamie against Dushane's wishes. Erm, inflicting brief jail time to establish dominance, or committong murder. I think I know which is more evil and worthy of having a cob on about.

This being after he punches Dushane, who later bails him out for the umpteenth time. Wasteman should have been left, really.
[close]
« Last Edit: April 2, 2022, 02:09:22 am by LallanaInPyjamas »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: April 2, 2022, 09:15:45 am »
I do.

Spoiler
Hate is pushing it because Kano plays him well, but I don't get the love for Sully at all. He cried about Dushane stitching Jamie and his brothers up, even though Dushane got them out of trouble...then proceeds to kill Jamie against Dushane's wishes. Erm, inflicting brief jail time to establish dominance, or committong murder. I think I know which is more evil and worthy of having a cob on about.

This being after he punches Dushane, who later bails him out for the umpteenth time. Wasteman should have been left, really.
[close]

Spoiler
Street code isn't it! You can murder but you can't snitch
[close]

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: April 2, 2022, 07:44:01 pm »
Just finished. Brilliant TV and the 'UK Wire' description is 100% valid.

Spoiler
gutted to see Jamie go, especially after he'd done right by his brothers and made the tough call to kill Kit.

Sully is fucking ace. The Avon to Dushanes Stringer. Didn't realise he was/is a rapper until this thread. He's smashed that role.

Homages to the Wire throughout I thought, the balcony scene, end of season musical wrap up/summary of all the characters.

Curtis was a great addition, and even though I can't fucking stand Lauren, it was good to see him get his at the end. Wonder if there'll be a bit of revenge sought for that too...

I now need to stop bringing the dialect/slang into my own life. Literally caught myself saying 'is it yeah' the other day :facepalm: I'm a white man in my 40s for fuck sake ;D
[close]

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #141 on: April 2, 2022, 08:05:20 pm »

Spoiler
gutted to see Jamie go, especially after he'd done right by his brothers and made the tough call to kill Kit.

Sully is fucking ace. The Avon to Dushanes Stringer. Didn't realise he was/is a rapper until this thread. He's smashed that role.

Homages to the Wire throughout I thought, the balcony scene, end of season musical wrap up/summary of all the characters.

Curtis was a great addition, and even though I can't fucking stand Lauren, it was good to see him get his at the end. Wonder if there'll be a bit of revenge sought for that too...

I now need to stop bringing the dialect/slang into my own life. Literally caught myself saying 'is it yeah' the other day :facepalm: I'm a white man in my 40s for fuck sake ;D
[close]

Wagwan, wige?  :D

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: April 2, 2022, 08:15:50 pm »
Wagwan, wige?  :D

*clicks teeth* wasteman bruv

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #143 on: April 3, 2022, 01:47:51 pm »

Spoiler

[close]

A lot of them are rappers, established or upcoming. Kano (sully) obviously the big one, ashley walters was in the so solid crew (but also had done a lot of tv), shelley is played by Little Simz, Modie in the last series was played by Dave, and the ‘i got uni work’ brother of Jamie is a rapper too. Then people like Dris, and some of the bit part cast are young rappers/actors from London too.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #144 on: April 4, 2022, 09:10:53 am »
A lot of them are rappers, established or upcoming. Kano (sully) obviously the big one, ashley walters was in the so solid crew (but also had done a lot of tv), shelley is played by Little Simz, Modie in the last series was played by Dave, and the ‘i got uni work’ brother of Jamie is a rapper too. Then people like Dris, and some of the bit part cast are young rappers/actors from London too.

Yep, One of the lesser known is the guy with Curtis who had one eye is a drum and bass MC called Trigga and he's from Manchester. He was shot in the back of the head hence why he only has one eye  ;D

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #145 on: April 6, 2022, 11:57:36 pm »
One episode left. Quality stuff.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #146 on: April 7, 2022, 07:30:41 am »
One episode left. Quality stuff.

Same here. Very nearly blasted through it last night but wanted to save one for tonight.

All coming to a head very nicely indeed at the end of episode 7.

I'm expecting fireworks.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Armchair expert

• Almost makes you agree with Gove
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meet the new boss.....same as the old boss
« Reply #147 on: April 7, 2022, 09:38:36 am »
Watched the first seven, the intensity of the Curtis scenes is off the scale.

Sort of dreading episode 8... :D

Hard to believe Howard Charles who played him is actually from London...Best scouse accent I've heard and had just the right amount of menace ..The quiet talking ones are always the most scary
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 02:22:53 pm by Armchair expert »

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #148 on: April 8, 2022, 12:30:32 am »
Spoiler
So why did Sully do that at the end though? Just because he didn’t like or trust Jamie? Jamie ended up doing the right thing for his brothers (always felt Aaron looked like the older brother). Anyway, enjoyed it all, guess it’s all set up for the next one again.
[close]

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #149 on: April 8, 2022, 12:39:56 am »
Spoiler
So why did Sully do that at the end though? Just because he didn’t like or trust Jamie? Jamie ended up doing the right thing for his brothers (always felt Aaron looked like the older brother). Anyway, enjoyed it all, guess it’s all set up for the next one again.
[close]

Spoiler
Mistrust stemming from Jamie's ambush attempt with Modie and Jermaine.
[close]

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #150 on: April 8, 2022, 12:19:50 pm »
Spoiler
Mistrust stemming from Jamie's ambush attempt with Modie and Jermaine.
[close]

Thanks. My recollection of earlier series is always a bit shaky.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #151 on: April 8, 2022, 01:29:05 pm »
Thanks. My recollection of earlier series is always a bit shaky.

Thought the tension between the two in Morocco that reflected this was brilliantly handled, turned out to be foreshadowing for which we were all a bit unprepared...

Online jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: April 13, 2022, 05:35:10 am »
Tony Bellew’s brother

Haha That was my first thought too. I thought the actor looked like a fatter Tony Bellew. ;D
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #153 on: April 22, 2022, 12:29:08 am »
Finally finished it tonight. Can only echo what others have said. Great series that went out with bang. Curtis was a proper menacing nasty piece of work with one fatal blindspot.

Wonder where they’ll go with the next one, all obvious loose ends have been tied up and even with what happened at the very end it seems they’ll need to introduce a few new faces
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: May 25, 2022, 12:57:06 am »
Finally got round to watching the new season Monday night, 5 episodes in and it's pretty good.

One of the English speaking shows I have to put subtitles on as my Yank Other Half struggles with what's being said.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: May 26, 2022, 07:25:54 am »
Finished it last night, brilliant season.

Ending was a wow, and Curtis was the best thing in it for me, someone finally outshone Sully in the show, understated menacing to a tee was Curtis, the Actor nailed that Scouse accent.

Cannot wait for season 5.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 04:40:45 pm by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: May 26, 2022, 01:41:30 pm »
Finished it last night, brilliant season.

Ending was a wow, and Curtis was the best thing in it for me, someone finally outshone Sully in the show, understated menacing to a tee wasx urgis, the Actor nailed that Scouse accent.

Cannot wait for season 5.

Like Avon wanted his corners, Curtis just wanted his Lauren.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: May 26, 2022, 04:41:02 pm »
Like Avon wanted his corners, Curtis just wanted his Lauren.
;D

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #158 on: May 23, 2023, 07:35:21 pm »
Season 5 coming in September. Final one. Short trailer doesn’t really give much away other than
Spoiler
Dushayne & Sully are not getting on
[close]
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #159 on: May 23, 2023, 09:43:11 pm »
Season 5 coming in September. Final one. Short trailer doesn’t really give much away other than
Spoiler
Dushayne & Sully are not getting on
[close]

Didn't really need to spoiler that bit... ;D