Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3339742 times)

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #19040 on: October 3, 2018, 02:57:03 pm »
It varies for sure. Given that, the previous review with Rob, Neil and Sean, for me, was one of the best I have heard. I like Neil as one of the reviewers myself.
I agree - I guess it is a personnel issue at times. Andy has dropped in as the second contributor at times. Paul Cope isn't being used this season for the Review. That might be about availability or it might be an attempt to freshen up the show to avoid the same voices every week.

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #19041 on: October 3, 2018, 03:05:43 pm »
I presume Sean is suggesting just switching their position rather than making them play wider - so Mane comes from the right and Salah from the left but the shape is identical. I presume Sean thinks this may discombobulate the opposition as it's not our usual approach.
He did say Salah should go on the left and 'get chalk on his boots' which would change things considerably. Average positions show that no matter the game, Salah is always our most advanced player, and pretty much always central. He's advocating a Sane type role for Salah by the sounds of it. Salah has pretty much played his whole career as an inside forward coming off the right, as well as a chunk of time at Roma playing off Dzeko, although he was still taking up similar positions to when he plays from the right.

Even if I disagree with him, I think there is some room for expanding on the idea.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #19042 on: October 3, 2018, 04:27:40 pm »
He did say Salah should go on the left and 'get chalk on his boots' which would change things considerably. Average positions show that no matter the game, Salah is always our most advanced player, and pretty much always central. He's advocating a Sane type role for Salah by the sounds of it. Salah has pretty much played his whole career as an inside forward coming off the right, as well as a chunk of time at Roma playing off Dzeko, although he was still taking up similar positions to when he plays from the right.

Even if I disagree with him, I think there is some room for expanding on the idea.
Yeah, would be interesting to explore - the chalk on his boots may just be a figure of speech for going wider rather than sticking him on the wing.

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #19043 on: October 3, 2018, 11:44:39 pm »
Gutmann is absolutely plastered on the Pink, and he doesn't think we're very good.
:D

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19044 on: October 3, 2018, 11:57:16 pm »
Gutmann is absolutely plastered on the Pink, and he doesn't think we're very good.
yeah listening to it now he’s clearly hammered ;D

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19045 on: October 4, 2018, 12:31:10 am »
He doesn't think Napoli are up to much either. ;D

Offline Fontaine

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19046 on: October 4, 2018, 12:46:33 am »
 Last thing you want to hear after a loss is someone with too many gargles on board, being a bit belligerent :duh

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #19047 on: October 4, 2018, 12:56:22 am »
Last thing you want to hear after a loss is someone with too many gargles on board, being a bit belligerent :duh

Don't listen to The Pink then.

Offline Fontaine

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19048 on: October 4, 2018, 03:09:01 am »
Wrong answer.  Stick on the reasonably sober lads, there was no need for Guttmans input there, he just made a Mockery of the thing.

Don't listen to The Pink then.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #19049 on: October 4, 2018, 06:48:34 am »
The pink is best when it’s like a chat in the pub after the match, or chatting shit on transport on the way back.

When it sounds like it’s a studio show it doesn’t work as well.  There’s enough of those, the pink adds something different.. and I love that about it.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #19050 on: October 4, 2018, 07:38:25 am »
:lmao :lmao :lmao

Completely plastered :lmao :lmao

Was having none of the reasons :lmao

'they're not that good' :lmao

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19051 on: October 4, 2018, 07:39:25 am »
Nah, it was fucking hilarious. A tonic really.

:wellin Guttman

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19052 on: October 4, 2018, 07:41:19 am »
The pink is best when it’s like a chat in the pub after the match, or chatting shit on transport on the way back.

When it sounds like it’s a studio show it doesn’t work as well.  There’s enough of those, the pink adds something different.. and I love that about it.
This.

Guttman was having none of it - I loved the fact that his was an entirely emotional reaction.

:lmao

Offline BobbyDavro

• can't skate
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #19053 on: October 4, 2018, 08:23:15 am »

Disagree totally.
I thought he was ace and echoed what a lot of us were thinking.
I listen for lots of reasons, but after a loss it’s often therapy.
He was ace last night and made me feel like someone was saying what I was feeling...and gave me a laugh.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19054 on: October 4, 2018, 08:49:18 am »
Gutmann :lmao
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Online Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #19055 on: October 4, 2018, 09:33:32 am »
He was so pissed  ;D

He put a smile back on my face after the result anyway  :D
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Big Bamber

• Having a lovely time, living the best time of his life
  • Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #19056 on: October 4, 2018, 09:48:26 am »
Disagree totally.
He was ace last night and made me feel like someone was saying what I was feeling...and gave me a laugh.

Hear hear!

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #19057 on: October 4, 2018, 09:56:59 am »
Was looking forward to hearing this, and Gooters didn’t let me down.  Could practically smell the beer fumes pouring out my car stereo this morning.  Outstanding.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19058 on: October 4, 2018, 11:36:45 am »
Disagree totally.
+1

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #19059 on: October 4, 2018, 01:40:26 pm »
Why is it necessary for at least one of them to get completely trashed every game? I understand having a couple of pints is part of the matchday experience for a lot of people but it seems on most episodes of the Pink that at least one of them is barely able to speak.
DAMMIT!

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #19060 on: October 4, 2018, 01:42:14 pm »
Why is it necessary for at least one of them to get completely trashed every game? I understand having a couple of pints is part of the matchday experience for a lot of people but it seems on most episodes of the Pink that at least one of them is barely able to speak.

Why is it necessary for you to judge someone's lifestyle choices?

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #19061 on: October 4, 2018, 01:58:19 pm »
Why is it necessary for you to judge someone's lifestyle choices?

Oh, here we go, the super-defensive response to anything that isn't fawning praise. I asked a simple question and you immediately jump on me like I'm some puritan arsehole tut-tutting about someone having a drink.

If someone wants to use going to the match as an excuse to get blasted, go ahead, that's up to them. I am just curious as to why this is. It's a topic for another thread really but now I've been out of the country for a while I'm more of an outsider when it comes to British drinking culture and I find it interesting how a lot of events or occasions simply become an excuse to get drunk.
DAMMIT!

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #19062 on: October 4, 2018, 02:04:16 pm »
"Necessary" - as if it's in the TAW job description.   

He went to watch the match in the boozer and had some high quality imbibements before providing some rock solid entertainment.  No need for an enquiry, deary.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19063 on: October 4, 2018, 02:05:15 pm »
Oh, here we go, the super-defensive response to anything that isn't fawning praise. I asked a simple question and you immediately jump on me like I'm some puritan arsehole tut-tutting about someone having a drink.

If someone wants to use going to the match as an excuse to get blasted, go ahead, that's up to them. I am just curious as to why this is. It's a topic for another thread really but now I've been out of the country for a while I'm more of an outsider when it comes to British drinking culture and I find it interesting how a lot of events or occasions simply become an excuse to get drunk.

It's just what happens when people spend a few hours in a pub.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19064 on: October 4, 2018, 02:05:38 pm »
but it seems on most episodes of the Pink that at least one of them is barely able to speak.

;D    :hally
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #19065 on: October 4, 2018, 02:14:40 pm »

Some people enjoy getting drunk. Lots of people actually enjoy it, once or twice a week no problem. He's not even that pissed on it  ;D
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19066 on: October 4, 2018, 02:35:22 pm »

Many people, me included, have a different pace of drinking when watching a game. Factor in sometimes doubling up to avoid queuing at peak times and a particularly stressful game and it's easily done.

It's not obligatory to get twatted, and many people don't, it's certainly not an "excuse to get drunk", but many people watch games with groups of mates. It's part of their social time and as I touched on above, sometimes getting drunk is the outcome, but not necessarily the intention.

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #19067 on: October 4, 2018, 02:42:28 pm »
Some people enjoy getting drunk. Lots of people actually enjoy it, once or twice a week no problem. He's not even that pissed on it  ;D

Yes, that's my point, really - that this is so prevalent things like going to a football match become less about the football and more about boozing before, during or after it. I guess I'm making more of an observation about British society than I am about Rob Gutmann.

DAMMIT!

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #19068 on: October 4, 2018, 02:46:35 pm »
No need to justify or apologise to anyone with regards the choices that you make. If you want to have a few drinks at the game, with whatever intentions, that's up to you. If you don't, likewise.

I used to drive to games solo for a number of years, and so I wouldn't drink in and around the game at all. In recent years I've been going with mates and having a few drinks pre and occasionally post match, and sometimes that results in me being in the kind of state that would make Rob look sober but y'know what, I've mostly enjoyed myself in doing so. These are very contrasting match-going experiences, both with their positives and negatives. There is no right or wrong way to do it.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #19069 on: October 4, 2018, 03:12:27 pm »
No need to justify or apologise to anyone with regards the choices that you make. If you want to have a few drinks at the game, with whatever intentions, that's up to you. If you don't, likewise.[\quote]

I used to drive to games solo for a number of years, and so I wouldn't drink in and around the game at all. In recent years I've been going with mates and having a few drinks pre and occasionally post match, and sometimes that results in me being in the kind of state that would make Rob look sober but y'know what, I've mostly enjoyed myself in doing so. These are very contrasting match-going experiences, both with their positives and negatives. There is no right or wrong way to do it.

All fair enough.

When I was in my 20s I was firmly in the "get lashed every weekend" camp because that's what my mates and I liked doing and that was generally what British people in their 20s did. And I had a lot of fun doing it. Coincidentally or not, I went to the match more often in those days too. As I got older I learned the hard way that being hung over was, firstly, an infinitely worse experience in a warmer climate and, secondly, wholly incompatible with having young children. As a result of these factors I drink much less now than I did in those days, and that plus having been out of the UK for so long have led to an appreciation that other cultures have different relationships with alcohol than the British do.

But as you say, everyone's choices are their own to make.
DAMMIT!

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #19070 on: October 4, 2018, 03:31:03 pm »
The best thing about the Pink was the fact that at no point was Rob's inebriation mentioned or used against him. They included him and Neil was excellent at challenging him in a totally measured way.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19071 on: October 4, 2018, 03:38:31 pm »
The best thing about the Pink was the fact that at no point was Rob's inebriation mentioned or used against him. They included him and Neil was excellent at challenging him in a totally measured way.
Well, dunno if talking over him can be classified as 'measured' but it made for good listening :lmao

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #19072 on: October 4, 2018, 06:40:36 pm »
Defo the best ‘defeat’ Pink I’ve heard.

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #19073 on: October 4, 2018, 08:10:41 pm »
Sober or drunk- I can listen to Gutmann all day.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19074 on: October 4, 2018, 10:27:40 pm »
Don't agree at all with Gutmann's opinion at all but not really the point, it was a good listen as ever!

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #19075 on: October 4, 2018, 11:20:11 pm »
Don't agree at all with Gutmann's opinion at all but not really the point, it was a good listen as ever!
I don't imagine Gutmann will agree with all of Gutmann's opinions either, when he sobers up.  ;D

There'll be a kernel of truth to maintain there though.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #19076 on: October 5, 2018, 12:41:34 pm »
I like Steve Armstrong as he's normally very measured. His contribution to this week's Friday Show was a very enjoyable listen.

;D ;D ;D
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #19077 on: October 5, 2018, 02:04:39 pm »
I like Steve Armstrong as he's normally very measured. His contribution to this week's Friday Show was a very enjoyable listen.

;D ;D ;D
Yes, nice to hear him so nearly there, to admitting that Mourinho’s had their pants down the last two-and-a-half years.  Get him back on in a month or so and he should be just the right amount of meek for my liking.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19078 on: October 5, 2018, 02:25:11 pm »
The start of today's Talking Reds  :lmao

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #19079 on: October 5, 2018, 03:36:40 pm »
I don't imagine Gutmann will agree with all of Gutmann's opinions either, when he sobers up.  ;D

There'll be a kernel of truth to maintain there though.

We'll have to see when he does sober up.

Look forward to that in June 2020 😂