Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3339550 times)

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #19080 on: October 6, 2018, 12:58:13 am »
There’s arguably an intellectual dishonesty with regards Ste Armstrong’s assessment with United and their struggles. I get that the trappings of the modern game creates an inherent conflict for fans who adore their clubs because of an almost inherent love born out of a lifetime’s worth of dedication. Fantatacism is the core of any club and should be recognised and appreciated.

The issue I have with Armstrong is that he’s apparently arriving at his conclusions at the same time his team aren’t competitive. He’s expressed these views before but they’re becoming more acute in their tone. There’s an argument to suggest his sanctimony is elevated by what’s happening on the pitch as it serves as a distraction of the fact his team seems to be shite. Indeed, his complaints that commercial interests supersede United’s  footballing glory may be a fair point if United were operating alone. The truth is that Europe is filled with clubs who garner big revenues but aren’t hamstrung by a football dinosaur who is contributing to the regression of a huge club. Armstrong has a point but there’s more than a whiff of ‘crying it in’ and he certainly cares more than he says when interviewed by TAW - which is fine, by the way.

Offline Big Bamber

• Having a lovely time, living the best time of his life
  • Kopite
  • The Dude Abides
« Reply #19081 on: October 6, 2018, 01:07:09 am »
There’s arguably an intellectual dishonesty with regards Ste Armstrong’s assessment with United and their struggles. I get that the trappings of the modern game creates an inherent conflict for fans who adore their clubs because of an almost inherent love born out of a lifetime’s worth of dedication. Fantatacism is the core of any club and should be recognised and appreciated.

The issue I have with Armstrong is that he’s apparently arriving at his conclusions at the same time his team aren’t competitive. He’s expressed these views before but they’re becoming more acute in their tone. There’s an argument to suggest his sanctimony is elevated by what’s happening on the pitch as it serves as a distraction of the fact his team seems to be shite. Indeed, his complaints that commercial interests supersede United’s  footballing glory may be a fair point if United were operating alone. The truth is that Europe is filled with clubs who garner big revenues but aren’t hamstrung by a football dinosaur who is contributing to the regression of a huge club. Armstrong has a point but there’s more than a whiff of ‘crying it in’ and he certainly cares more than he says when interviewed by TAW - which is fine, by the way.

This was my overriding view of his contribution also. He is conveniently arguing that what is happening at united should be concerning for all clubs. Its such a transparent strategy I’m surprised Neil did not pull him up on it.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #19082 on: October 6, 2018, 11:58:02 am »
Does Dave Downie appear on any of the shows or they get another Blue on?
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline firing squad

• Thinks he's a dog with spots.
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Dalmatia
« Reply #19083 on: October 8, 2018, 10:16:14 am »
What happened to the Post Match Pint yesterday? They published it but then it disappeared.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." - Bill Shankly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metkovi%C4%87

http://www.lfccro.com/

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #19084 on: October 8, 2018, 10:44:05 am »
What happened to the Post Match Pint yesterday? They published it but then it disappeared.
I’ve just listened to it.  Suspect the problem must be your IT.

Offline firing squad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19085 on: October 8, 2018, 10:56:32 am »
I’ve just listened to it.  Suspect the problem must be your IT.
There's no YouTube link anymore. I got the email with the link, as usual, but there's no link anymore.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." - Bill Shankly

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19086 on: October 8, 2018, 11:18:50 am »
Ah sorry, I’m getting mixed up between the post match show pod and the post match pint youtube.  Can’t keep up with the name changes - honestly, some days it feels like there’s no part of life where I amn’t gently sliding into old-fashionedness. :(

Offline firing squad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19087 on: October 8, 2018, 11:19:54 am »
 ;D

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #19088 on: October 8, 2018, 11:48:49 am »
This was my overriding view of his contribution also. He is conveniently arguing that what is happening at united should be concerning for all clubs. Its such a transparent strategy I’m surprised Neil did not pull him up on it.
I was about to be cynical and say, "what, upset the sponsor?", but Neil is getting married or just got married, so I do not want a snide remark from me to darken his reading. Have a lovely wedding and life together mate, and let's collectively enjoy the nearness to squirming Ste Armstrong has to Icarusly fly towards.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #19089 on: October 8, 2018, 04:18:08 pm »
No TAW today?

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #19090 on: October 8, 2018, 05:11:40 pm »

Offline Scott0908

• Kopite
« Reply #19091 on: October 8, 2018, 06:03:19 pm »
yeah was looking for this aswell.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #19092 on: October 8, 2018, 08:17:08 pm »
Nothing showing for me today in itunes, I keep refreshing but nothing new coming up.

Checked on the TAW website and it says there's one called Reds Title Tilt Intact After City Stalemate but it's just not showing for me at all in itunes.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #19093 on: October 8, 2018, 08:20:16 pm »
Nice Little dig from Robbo at that prick Duncan Castles today at the end of talking reds. :)

Offline robbohuyton

• Main Stander
  • Any spares lad?
« Reply #19094 on: October 9, 2018, 12:26:49 am »
Apologies about The Post Match Pint for those asking. Unfortunately we had a major problem with the sound files corrupting so we had to pull it. Normal service next game!

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #19095 on: October 9, 2018, 12:21:46 pm »
Apologies about The Post Match Pint for those asking. Unfortunately we had a major problem with the sound files corrupting so we had to pull it. Normal service next game!
Too late. Terminated my subscription and blocked the lot of you on Twitter.

:P

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #19096 on: October 9, 2018, 12:22:53 pm »
Nice Little dig from Robbo at that prick Duncan Castles today at the end of talking reds. :)
Rory Smith has also taken aim at him on Twitter this morning

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #19097 on: October 9, 2018, 12:43:41 pm »

Cheers. In the end I downloaded it direct off the website onto my laptop and then onto my ipod.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19098 on: October 9, 2018, 02:01:02 pm »
Rory Smith has also taken aim at him on Twitter this morning

What's that snide been up to this time?
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #19099 on: October 9, 2018, 05:07:54 pm »

Smith?

Offline nellpatel

• Main Stander
« Reply #19100 on: October 9, 2018, 05:11:58 pm »
Is anyone else able to access The Review? TAW and Sean Rogers have tweeted about it but I can't see it yet on the website or in my podcast app?
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.” - Jurgen Klopp

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19101 on: October 9, 2018, 06:54:41 pm »
Is anyone else able to access The Review? TAW and Sean Rogers have tweeted about it but I can't see it yet on the website or in my podcast app?

Yes. I had a similar problem last week after updating my iPhone operating system - there is a how to fix it post if that is your problem (reply #19160 on the previous page)

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19102 on: October 9, 2018, 07:55:24 pm »
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #19103 on: October 9, 2018, 08:10:56 pm »

Ah right.

Rory Smith had a go at the number of Mancs running into the final year of their contract and he said something about the Arsenal players doing afternoon sessions. Nothing major really.

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19104 on: October 9, 2018, 11:49:53 pm »
Just about to board a long flight and I’ve got all the shows lined up - the coach home has just gone up as I’m writing and I’ve forgotten my fucking headphones. Hope my neighbours don’t mind the pink on loudspeaker :D 

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #19105 on: October 10, 2018, 09:05:31 am »

Dunc said that Liverpool p[layers 'hated' doing late training sessions. Rory Smith mentioned that Arsenal do the same and kind of poked fun at Castles that it was common practice.

Castles is a weird one though. Peddles negative stories about Pep and Klopp all the time in the face of the mainstream narrative that these two guys are, essentially, getting it 'right'. It's so bloody transparent. What's weirder is that one can only assume that Castles is getting his directives from Mendes' stable and the whole enterprise is about Jose's brand management...but do these guys really think that Klopp and Pep's 'brand' is so vulnerable that petty tit-bits will erode their very positive reputations?

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #19106 on: October 10, 2018, 06:32:35 pm »
The Greatest was an odd one. The caveats basically removed most of the greatest from the discussion.

Enjoying the more regular WWCHs though.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #19107 on: October 10, 2018, 06:47:58 pm »
The Greatest was an odd one. The caveats basically removed most of the greatest from the discussion.

Enjoying the more regular WWCHs though.
It was a fun listen but not quite sure where we all were by the end.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19108 on: October 10, 2018, 07:49:16 pm »
Really interesting, and concerning, take on Keita from Sean Walsh on the most recent Review show.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19109 on: October 10, 2018, 09:05:01 pm »
My old phone died and I’ve got a new podcast app (Castro).  However, I can’t remember how to get TAW Player onto it.  Can anyone help?  (apologies for being *that guy*)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19110 on: October 10, 2018, 11:39:36 pm »
My old phone died and I’ve got a new podcast app (Castro).  However, I can’t remember how to get TAW Player onto it.  Can anyone help?  (apologies for being *that guy*)
Have a look a few posts above recently mate, I think you have to cut and paste the subscribe link.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #19111 on: October 11, 2018, 09:05:16 am »
Don't think anyone got it right on The Greatest Front Three.

Graves' shout of wanting at least 65 goals then picking Mane, Sturridge and Sterling was particularly wild.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #19112 on: October 11, 2018, 09:43:51 am »

Bit weird that Neil indicated he'd accept Coutinho despite him regularly playing as our fourth most attacking player, but not McManaman who regularly played as our third. I agreed with him on Gerrard though.

Don't think anyone got it right on The Greatest Front Three.

Graves' shout of wanting at least 65 goals then picking Mane, Sturridge and Sterling was particularly wild.

No right or wrong with these things, was a fun discussion, but personally I would say Owen and Suarez have to be absolute shoe-ins. So you either pick a third player like Mané, Salah or Sterling to stretch the pitch, or someone like Coutinho or McManaman to play behind them. I'd lean towards the latter because they showed their quality over several seasons, even if the former may work better in practice.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 09:49:31 am by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #19113 on: October 11, 2018, 11:14:54 am »
Would like to see Neil’s team with a front three and then Gerrard and McManaman behind them though. Would probably need a Momo/Mascherano type destroyer to mop things up though.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #19114 on: October 11, 2018, 11:19:11 am »
I just think you go with Mane, Salah and Firmino. They've done the numbers - it's not speculation, it's fact.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #19115 on: October 11, 2018, 11:35:03 am »
I just think you go with Mane, Salah and Firmino. They've done the numbers - it's not speculation, it's fact.

As a unit, yes. But they've done it over one or two seasons. Owen was banging them in for seven. In a show about 'The Greatest', longevity has to play a massive part.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19116 on: October 11, 2018, 12:36:57 pm »
For those of us that haven't got round to it yet, what was the context?
Speculation that he hasn’t settled at the club, all circumstantial but quite persuasive, looking at factors like demeanour, how he interacts with the others, where he is on the pitch and when, and (the big red flag I think) him having no English at all even though he’s known he’s coming here for ages.  Hopefully it all comes good, but the last one is concerning.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #19117 on: October 11, 2018, 12:37:18 pm »
As a unit, yes. But they've done it over one or two seasons. Owen was banging them in for seven. In a show about 'The Greatest', longevity has to play a massive part.
But they've done it in real life to a very impressive degree. Other combinations have no actual reference of success let alone longevity.

I actually think, because of the above, it was a flawed concept. A discussion about 'the greatest' individual forward would be easier in the sense that there isn't necessarily a need to suspend disbelief to make it work.

Offline MartinSkrtelsBasement

• Kopite
« Reply #19118 on: October 11, 2018, 12:52:21 pm »
Really interesting, and concerning, take on Keita from Sean Walsh on the most recent Review show.

Listened to that, but can't agree with it.

As fans, we can be guilty of putting 2 and 2 together and making 5. It's too easy conclusion to make in my opnion. I know for a fact that you can have a better grasp of the English language than you may portray. By all accounts he is a shy fella, so may not be confident in expressing himself yet.

I think the more accurate explanation of some below par performances are explained by the fact that we have been playing some good sides of late, and we have therefore required more discilpline tactically. He's still learning that side of things under Klopp.

Neil alluded to this and I agree, take the shackles off against Huddersfield and Cardiff and we'll see the best Keita.
Pirlo is a silent leader. He speaks with his feet.
—Marcello Lippi

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #19119 on: October 11, 2018, 01:13:04 pm »
Listened to that, but can't agree with it.

As fans, we can be guilty of putting 2 and 2 together and making 5. It's too easy conclusion to make in my opnion. I know for a fact that you can have a better grasp of the English language than you may portray. By all accounts he is a shy fella, so may not be confident in expressing himself yet.

I think the more accurate explanation of some below par performances are explained by the fact that we have been playing some good sides of late, and we have therefore required more discilpline tactically. He's still learning that side of things under Klopp.

Neil alluded to this and I agree, take the shackles off against Huddersfield and Cardiff and we'll see the best Keita.
I think this is the nail on the head.

While it'd be great if he bossed games against Europe's top sides, the reality is that those games are so tactically precise and exhausting that expressing yourself is so tough. It's quit easy to look 'off the pace' just by not being totally at it.

This is more than a TAW issue and it's more than a Keita issue - the past 7 games have been incredibly tough but you'd think we'd played the blind school every week the way some tantrums are erupting (I am not suggesting TAW are having a tantrum).

I'm pretty sure that by the start of December, Keita will have Match of the Day doing analysis of his contributions in some 'easier' games. Fodder is on its way.